Warner Bros. | Release Date: August 30, 2013
3.5
Generally unfavorable reviews based on 160 Ratings
Watch Now
lovingSep 6, 2013
Love this movie...don't know why everyone is hating on Selena, she was great. Maybe it was a little hard but really? She's only 21, cut her some slack.
bmw1972skylarkJan 7, 2014
I'm a car guy and i love any car chase movie, and I've seen allot of car movies. For this being a movie that was portraying a 70's car movie in 2013. I must say best car chase movie I've ever seen
ClubsocialMay 4, 2015
Rosaria88Jun 15, 2015
Foxes é maravilhosa. Eu amo tudo o que ela faz, tudo bem feito, impecável. Coisa de artista de verdade, é uma pena ver que não tem o reconhecimento merecido.
TheQuietGamerMar 5, 2014
It's no "Fast & Furious," but it's still a pretty fun movie. The car chases are pretty well done and the plot wasn't half-bad. Ethan Hawke is what really makes the movie enjoyable. Selena Gomez's performance wasn't excellent by any means, butIt's no "Fast & Furious," but it's still a pretty fun movie. The car chases are pretty well done and the plot wasn't half-bad. Ethan Hawke is what really makes the movie enjoyable. Selena Gomez's performance wasn't excellent by any means, but it wasn't as bad as most lead on. It's clear by the amount of cursing she is doing in this film that she is trying to distance herself from her Disney reputation like so many before her, but overall she's not that bad.

I do have a problem with how the camera will constantly switch directions during the car chases, and one segment near the end where you see the chase happening in first person for an overly long period of time is unintentionally goofy and funny. I have to say as a whole I enjoyed the movie. It's got just enough action and humor to be entertaining, even if it is lacking originality and sometimes intelligence. I found it to be a pretty good movie that's fun if you know what to expect.
CherryxldNov 23, 2014
Cuando iba a ver Getaway, tenía pocas expectativas debido a la débil aceptación de la crítica, sin embargo, después de verla, me pareció que aunque le faltaba un poco de chispa, no era malo el film.
inamor417Nov 8, 2015
While the seemingly endless car chase has many literal gear changes, Getaway as a film is a monotone experience.

Watch here for free http://www.watchfree.to/watch-29d527-Getaway-movie-online-free-putlocker.html
gabecamposAug 30, 2013
Was not good and not to bad. The acting are so poor and the movie was to silly with that Selena Gomez that act like a child statue because she looks like Kristen Stweart in the Twilight Movies.
andrewgarcia732Nov 21, 2013

If you liked this review (or if you didn't, you can still) read my other work on a wide variety of movies, TV shows, and videogames and mark this review as helpful. Remember, every vote counts!
python2000Jan 3, 2014
Just when I thought there had been enough dumb brainless action movies this year (The Lone Ranger, White House Down, The Wolverine etc etc) when another one pops up and surprises me. Getaway is possibly the stupidest action movie I have everJust when I thought there had been enough dumb brainless action movies this year (The Lone Ranger, White House Down, The Wolverine etc etc) when another one pops up and surprises me. Getaway is possibly the stupidest action movie I have ever seen, not the worst but the stupidest. From the slightly interesting premise to the incomprehensible ending which I don't understand but isn't clever at all, it could be written by a monkey! No that's an insult to our good evolutionary friends. Getaway could be written by a mentally retarded goat with no limbs. Instead of making you think about what's going on in the movie Getaway does not make you use your brain at all, it's all just moving images infront of your eyes. The two things I can praise Getaway for are a mildly enjoyable soundtrack and exciting action scenes. Except the whole movie is pretty much one big action scene.
With no plot, no character development, no proper ending, no humor, no good performances, no unpredictable scenes and no unique qualities whatsoever. Getaway is one of the worst films of the year.
oblique15Mar 22, 2015
If you can get over Selena Gomez`s annoying character it`s an ok movie. It`s a fast paced movie. Feels like something is seriously missing, but if you don`t go in with high expectations it`s a decent movie. It`s entertaining if you don`t haveIf you can get over Selena Gomez`s annoying character it`s an ok movie. It`s a fast paced movie. Feels like something is seriously missing, but if you don`t go in with high expectations it`s a decent movie. It`s entertaining if you don`t have anything else to watch. Selena Gomez with a gun just looked so wrong. Hard to take her serious. Expand
TVJerrySep 2, 2013
You'd think a movie that's 90% fast driving with dozens of car crashes couldn't help but be exciting. You'd be wrong. Such an over-edited, non-stop onslaught becomes pretty pedestrian because the action is uninspired. Pair that with thisYou'd think a movie that's 90% fast driving with dozens of car crashes couldn't help but be exciting. You'd be wrong. Such an over-edited, non-stop onslaught becomes pretty pedestrian because the action is uninspired. Pair that with this ridiculous plot: Ethan Hawke is forced to drive like a maniac and cause absurd destruction to save his kidnapped wife. Toss in Selena Gomez as his sassy, hi-tech ride-along to really strain credibility. Granted, the manic editing keeps it from being boring, but the lackluster direction keeps it from being thrilling. Less fast & furious and more fast & flaccid. Expand
AGarcia732Dec 8, 2013
Just because I gave Paranoia a 10, doesn't mean I like bad movies. While Paranoia was entertaining enough, Getaway is pretty much a 90 minute long car chase. Ethan Hawke is not very interesting. Selena Gomez is pretty annoying as "The Kid",Just because I gave Paranoia a 10, doesn't mean I like bad movies. While Paranoia was entertaining enough, Getaway is pretty much a 90 minute long car chase. Ethan Hawke is not very interesting. Selena Gomez is pretty annoying as "The Kid", and is only there to mutter curse words at poor Brent Magna. It isn't too interesting and is a bit far-fetched; the storyline/plot is pretty weak. It's like Liam Neeson's "Taken" on wheels, but with less satisfying action. Also, the ending makes no sense; what was the real mastermind's objective/ plan?

(P.S, you may have read this and other reviews by me under the name "andrewgarcia732". I can't get enter my old account and have started a new one.)
MarkMusicOct 21, 2013
Damn was expecting more. I gave it one star for Selena Gomez (I know she's a good actress), Ethan Hawk (I know he's a good actor), and 1 star (for tricking us into believing this would be a bad-ass movie with the trailers and previews).
RevRonNov 22, 2013
Who doesn't love a car chase? But a whole movie about a car chase? Well, it worked for the "Fast and Furious" franchise and those are guilty pleasures of mine but this movie was just sloppy. The edit is so chaotic and uneven that it's hardWho doesn't love a car chase? But a whole movie about a car chase? Well, it worked for the "Fast and Furious" franchise and those are guilty pleasures of mine but this movie was just sloppy. The edit is so chaotic and uneven that it's hard to tell what is going on most of the time, the story is completely generic, Ethan Hawke looks like he's just not trying the entire film and Selena Gomez is unbearable in her performance that is basically her just using a bunch of tech buzz words and yelling like the escort character in a video game escort mission. The only things I enjoyed about the movie is the fact that Hawke did his own stunt driving and the movie's final chase--that was filmed entirely from the perspective of the hood of a car--looked cool and was exciting. Beyond that, the movie is just a waste of time. Expand
BrianMcCriticNov 27, 2013
This is a cheap knock off of several much better movies. This film tries to mix Fast and the Furious, with Speed, with Die Hard and ends up being an epic failure. D
twerk-kingFeb 23, 2014
WEIRD. An ambitious project, but poorly written. The script was so bad, it should've exploded with the other exploding cars in this movie. I don't know why Selena Gomez got a Razzie nomination because her acting wasn't that bad. What madeWEIRD. An ambitious project, but poorly written. The script was so bad, it should've exploded with the other exploding cars in this movie. I don't know why Selena Gomez got a Razzie nomination because her acting wasn't that bad. What made people think that her acting was so bad was the script. You could see that the writer didn't think it through when it comes to her character. There were a lot of unnecessary scenes and lines. The camera work was bad and the execution was even worse. Such a shame. Expand
DCEdmondsNov 13, 2014
"Getaway" 10 Scale Rating: 3.0 (Awful) ...

The Good: Ethan Hawke and Jon Voight (in a voice only role) did they best they could with an awful script. They were rare, but there were a couple of decent chase scenes. The Bad: Silly beyond
"Getaway" 10 Scale Rating: 3.0 (Awful) ...

The Bad: Silly beyond belief. The story is complete nonsense and the ending is terrible. Selena Gomez was so awful that it was distracting. Most of the chase scenes (which make up most of the film) were a blur of car parts and quick camera motions. Some of the worst dialogue you're ever going to hear occurs between Hawke and Gomez. Painful.
AlexProductionsSep 7, 2013
Getaway really had me thinking on the way out of the theater, was it an ad for GoPro, or the Mustang? I have to say, the biggest star in the film was the beauty. Not Selena Gomez, but the Shelby GT500 Super Snake. Getaway features EthanGetaway really had me thinking on the way out of the theater, was it an ad for GoPro, or the Mustang? I have to say, the biggest star in the film was the beauty. Not Selena Gomez, but the Shelby GT500 Super Snake. Getaway features Ethan Hawkee, Selena Gomez, and Jon Voight, which was the original reason for my interest in the film. With such an interesting cast I wondered how the film would perform on screen. Getaway is the story of Brent Magna (Ethan Hawkee) former pro racecar driver, whose wife is taken. To get her back, Magna has to steal a car, and basically crash whatever Jon Voight tells him to. Many people at this point would consider me listing Jon Voight a spoiler but when you see the movie, you’ll immediately know it’s him even with his face partially obscured.

Getaway truly wasn't a bad movie; it just was a struggle to get through. The more the film went on, the more pissed, me and other film critics became. Director Courtney Solomon made some big mistakes with the film, such as shooting 75% of the movie with GoPro's. I'm pretty sure there’s a rule in the Producing for Dummies about that. It was cool for a few minutes and then my head started to hurt watching the film switch from regular movie quality, to whatever lower quality the GoPro records at. Their must've been at least 15 of them on the car and that was the majority of the footage used in the film. It was funny to see all of them disguised in these cheap black tubes, and when you see them, you just know their GoPro’s, such as in picture one.

Whoever decided to cast Selena Gomez, should also be fired, and banned from any job related to movies. She was just so bad it was amusing, and embarrassing at the same time. Let's face it, she's not a tough person, and I think the funniest part of the film was her aiming a gun at Ethan Hawke. It seemed out of place, and there are tons of actresses I could list, who could've taken her place, and done a better job in the roll. There's a scene when "the voice" (Voight) tells Hawke to kill "the kid" (Selena Gomez), and he refuses saying he's not a killer, and Voight says "good, because you will need her help." At that point I felt like it was our cue to take a bathroom break and get some more popcorn. What I’ve picked up in a lot of action movies lately is the unnecessary jump-cuts, and Getaway makes no effort in an attempt to prevent them. No doubt, a few of the car chases, and crashes were eye pleasing to watch, but when its nonstop camera angle cuts, and shaky scenes, the film loses some of my respect. I just felt that with an 18 million dollar budget, they could've hired some better editors, so the high end car scenes could've been better appreciated.

Another flaw in Selena Gomez's role (other than that she is Selena Gomez in an action movie), is that all of the "computer hacking" she does is on a iPad. I'm not sure who on the crew thought it was a good idea, but they too deserve to be eliminated from the film industry. No hacker can be taken seriously doing their work on an iPad unless of course they are Face timing another hacker.

I will say that despite all of the negative things I’ve explained about this film, there is an amazing car chase at the end all in one take, in first person, for two minutes. Also, I think Ethan Hawke did a phenomenal job in the film, convincing me he was the character. I feel the film would’ve been much better if I saw the trailer, and just the last ten minutes.

Overall if you’re a fan of car crashes (especially at the end) I highly recommend Getaway. I would see it over Mortal Instruments: City of Bones any day, but other than that, it is a movie with much potential, held back by a crappy script, and Selena Gomez. I am sad to say that the film owned up to its title, and literally makes you want to “Get Away,” from the movie.
gabrielgAug 30, 2013
Sad about this movie because was not great. I was thinking that this movie was gonna be a good one, but was not. Very disappointed with this Was too silly for me, and the Selena Gomez acting was very poor because she's a other big
GlitterAug 31, 2013
Hawke swoops in to drag Gomez's career to new depths. The starved Disney sex kitten purrs her way through scatological expletives, as the plot races by as a fast-paced testosterone orgasm of car-crashes, by the dozens. Because literally thatHawke swoops in to drag Gomez's career to new depths. The starved Disney sex kitten purrs her way through scatological expletives, as the plot races by as a fast-paced testosterone orgasm of car-crashes, by the dozens. Because literally that sentence is perhaps the entirety of this film. Gomez failure to maintain her aggressive nature, let alone capture it and portray a mature carjacker only supports Hawke's failure in playing the pigeon to Voight's waning career. Expand
Movie1997Sep 1, 2013
There's really no point of this movie. It's a terrible action movie with an extremely unoriginal story idea, bad screenplay and even bad acting. The only redeeming quality is the action. Other than that, this movie SUCKS! Be sure to check outThere's really no point of this movie. It's a terrible action movie with an extremely unoriginal story idea, bad screenplay and even bad acting. The only redeeming quality is the action. Other than that, this movie SUCKS! Be sure to check out my YouTube channel "TheMovieManLife" for all things movies. Expand
KadeemluvmusicSep 3, 2013
There's nothing much worse for Getaway as if Ethan Hawke and Selena Gomez would've been hijacked at a strip club. I'm just saying. Yeah, I thought Getaway was supposed to be a great movie. It turns out that this is a Taken/Drive ripoff. TheThere's nothing much worse for Getaway as if Ethan Hawke and Selena Gomez would've been hijacked at a strip club. I'm just saying. Yeah, I thought Getaway was supposed to be a great movie. It turns out that this is a Taken/Drive ripoff. The chemistry of Hawke and Selena is very simple just like in R.I.P.D. bad acting, terrible script, the action scenes were pretty bland because Ethan Hawke is no Ryan Gosling or Liam Neeson, but he should've known better. I really like Selena's raunchy performance in Spring Breakers and Mavis in Hotel Transylvania, but there's one problem. I don't think an action film might be a good choice for her and that's why Getaway should be my pick for the worst movies of 2013 along with Scary Movie V and After Earth. Expand
PStakhivSep 20, 2013
90 minutes of driving car in Bulgaria is that supposed to be interesting?. Boring & flawed story, terrible directing, awful action. One of the worst movie of the year(along with Scary Movie 5 & Grown Ups 2)
LowbrowCinemaNov 27, 2013
GETAWAY is one of those bad movies you wind up liking. Not good bad or fun bad, just bad but I kind of liked Hawke and Gomez. The film looks sensational with its rich dark blacks and saturated colors that only digital can provide. So a bigGETAWAY is one of those bad movies you wind up liking. Not good bad or fun bad, just bad but I kind of liked Hawke and Gomez. The film looks sensational with its rich dark blacks and saturated colors that only digital can provide. So a big bravo to cinematographer Yaron Levy. Expand
ThegodfathersonAug 30, 2013
Cribbing from countless adrenaline-fueled concept films, from "Speed" to any Jason Statham movie you like, "Getaway" (not to be confused with the two "The Getaway" films based on Jim Thompson's novel) tries to ride its thin concept, hopingCribbing from countless adrenaline-fueled concept films, from "Speed" to any Jason Statham movie you like, "Getaway" (not to be confused with the two "The Getaway" films based on Jim Thompson's novel) tries to ride its thin concept, hoping the fumes of constant engine revving are intoxicating. Director Courtney Solomon splices together footage from cameras inside the car (from which the kidnapper eyes his pawns) and from exterior stuntmen-enabled wide shots. The action (all at nighttime) is messily and crudely filmed. The plot mechanics are often laughable. How, then, to explain the film's sudden elegance in one (and only one) shot that appears toward the end of the film like a parting of the waters? Suddenly, the frantic cutting and the relentlessly grating score dissipate for a lengthy first-person perspective of a car speeding down a rolling, suburban road, gracefully sliding around traffic at dawn. It's a diamond that can't make up for the other 89 minutes of rough. Expand
Augustusian7Sep 24, 2013
This movie.....was complete of money and all Selena Gomez did was make the experience even more worst than it already was...i hate it..worst movie I've seen this year..:(
Leo9127Jan 17, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is a movie so dumb it's actually funny.Ethan Hawke, and Selena Gomez have no chemistry, and Jon Voight's character is a rip-off of Jigsaw from the Saw movies, It has a generic story, and dull action that if it wasn't so noisy you may fall asleep, which will spare you of this atrocity of a movie, Ethan Hawke, and Selena Gomez have no chemistry, and Jon Voight's character is a rip-off of Jigsaw from the Saw movies, Expand
chwJul 17, 2014
I bet this film'll win the Guinness World Record for the worst movie of the 21st century, for it doesn't even contain common sense in it and that it's so ridiculously retarded.
REDWOUNov 22, 2014
Crappy movie. Ethan Hawke at his just below average (terrible). Selena Gomez at her usual, Razzie winning, self. Goddamn, I can't believe I wanted to see this at first. Thank God the critics saved me that ONE time.
Weld1Feb 3, 2016
This movie is great... if you want to torture someone as all you need to do is strap them to a chair and play it for them. Let's see, where do I begin? Idiotic plot, childish directing, moronic writing, crappy dialogue, stupid actionThis movie is great... if you want to torture someone as all you need to do is strap them to a chair and play it for them. Let's see, where do I begin? Idiotic plot, childish directing, moronic writing, crappy dialogue, stupid action sequences, terrible acting, and utterly annoying 1-2 second flickering of the screen due to horrendous editing. This is the type of movie where one thinks how in the hell did this garbage get made? I would rather watch a roomful of gorillas bang on garbage cans for an hour and a half than watch this incessant nonsense. Expand