Ghost World

8.3

1. StefC.
    Feb 17, 2002
    What possessed someone to make this movie? It wasn't at all interesting or funny. Did i get the wrong movie or something or does everyone else just have no taste? My advice: forget the critics, they have no idea what the definition of a good movie is. Also, do youself a favor and don't see this movie... unless of course your an insomniac. In that case, this movie will put you toWhat possessed someone to make this movie? It wasn't at all interesting or funny. Did i get the wrong movie or something or does everyone else just have no taste? My advice: forget the critics, they have no idea what the definition of a good movie is. Also, do youself a favor and don't see this movie... unless of course your an insomniac. In that case, this movie will put you to sleep no problem! Expand
  2. Huge
    Mar 1, 2002
    What a boring piece of crap! Zero plot, weak characters...I can't believe this pile is getting good reviews! So bland I just turned it off, didn't even care how it ended. What a waste of time!
  3. MichaelF.
    Jul 30, 2001
    The thing about this movie is the screenplay. The movie spends no time at all with Brad Renfro's part, which was the most interesting. The movie is predictable and boring as hell.
  4. QBeing
    Nov 20, 2002
    Boring and uninspiring, I kept looking at my watch wondering when it would end. The acting was great but it was not enough to make this film even remotely interesting. It was all about a girl who needs to grow up and get a life.
    Feb 19, 2002
    This movie had so much potential. Too bad it was totally wasted. Nothing develops, and the movie ends. Don't waste your time.
  6. MaxM.
    Jul 17, 2002
    Unless you're an angsty adolescent with "issues," chances are this film will bore the pants off you. And this is coming from someone who usually loves these kind of indie flicks.
  7. GaborA.
    Dec 10, 2003
    Never have i seen such believable yet original characters. Never have i learned so much about the mind of the teenage girl. Never have i been so bored. I dont understand why film was chosen as the medium to portray this idea. There existed not one visual element. As for the script. There is not one trully funny part. Acting and the desperate hope that something would develop were the only Never have i seen such believable yet original characters. Never have i learned so much about the mind of the teenage girl. Never have i been so bored. I dont understand why film was chosen as the medium to portray this idea. There existed not one visual element. As for the script. There is not one trully funny part. Acting and the desperate hope that something would develop were the only things that got me through this movie. Collapse
  8. JBJ
    Mar 24, 2003
    To watch the paint dry is more interresting than watching this movies how the hell did people like this movie. I fell asleep it was so bad. if you like this movie go and get a life!
  9. MetelInc.
    Apr 26, 2003
    Ummm.....this movie was horrible....I am confused by the high scores.
  10. C.Monster
    Jul 18, 2004
    The performances are certainly fine, as Birch, Johansson and Buscemi all are fine actors. But this movie drags a little bit during the first half and drags unbearably in the second half. There doesn't seem to be a point, and getting rid of Johansson in the last third of the movie is a huge mistake. A bore...what were the critics thinking?
  11. JT
    Jul 21, 2004
    Acting was good, but ultimately not enough to make this movie really worth watching. Seems to me like a movie that exists for existing's sake.
  12. JamesL.
    Jul 27, 2006
    I can't believe Birch was nominated for a Golden Globe for this. I saw Ghost World in the theater, and I wasn't the only one laughing at scenes that were supposed to be touching. Poorly acted, poorly directed, and far less imaginative than it thinks it is. A big disappointment from Zwigoff; an even bigger letdown that the critics seem blind to the movie's myriad flaws.
  13. BuddyT.
    Mar 29, 2002
    This Movie Sucks.
  14. DHE
    Dec 3, 2011
    If the central character is supposed to be sympathetic, I don't get it. She's an annoying, self-absorbed brat possessed of an undeserved case of ennui. Scarlett Johansson is also surprisingly uninteresting, leaving very little to focus on. The only (mildly) interesting moments in the film involved minor characters. Definitely a movie only another self-absorbed teenager could love. UnlessIf the central character is supposed to be sympathetic, I don't get it. She's an annoying, self-absorbed brat possessed of an undeserved case of ennui. Scarlett Johansson is also surprisingly uninteresting, leaving very little to focus on. The only (mildly) interesting moments in the film involved minor characters. Definitely a movie only another self-absorbed teenager could love. Unless you have a very high threshold for boredom, skip it Expand

1. Mr. Showbiz
    Reviewed by: Kevin Maynard
    The results are both savagely funny and poignant for anyone who's ever had a friendship that felt like their only connection to the outside world.
    In his first fiction feature, Zwigoff doesn't forget to bring the funny. But he doesn't bring enough poetry.
    Offers an exquisite tour of the twilight zone between high school and the so-called real world, as well as between bohemian subculture and the even stranger culture of America at large.