8.3

1. Jun 26, 2015
    i just saw a new movie with a definitely a new story, you may never see a movie like this one. and very nice act from Steve Buscemi, Thora Birch and Scarlett Johansson. now it will be come one of my favorite movie.
  2. Oct 18, 2014
    I must have been in a bad mood when I saw this before. When previously, I found it boring and bland, this time I found it to be witty and creative. The characters stand out and are unique. They also never feel forced. By my score though, it's quite obvious that I don't think it's perfect. Some sections still bored me, and it's not always as funny as it thinks it is. It's greatestI must have been in a bad mood when I saw this before. When previously, I found it boring and bland, this time I found it to be witty and creative. The characters stand out and are unique. They also never feel forced. By my score though, it's quite obvious that I don't think it's perfect. Some sections still bored me, and it's not always as funny as it thinks it is. It's greatest success might actually be in conveying the sadness of growing up, losing friends, and the uncertainty of what to do next. Maybe understanding these things now, helped me to enjoy it more. Or maybe I just wasn't paying attention enough last time to notice funny lines like, "Everyone's too stupid!" and "Can I call you Weird AL?" I'm not completely sure I wrote that last one right word for word. Expand
  3. Oct 21, 2013
    what does really this movie want to say? i don't understand. i think this high rating was because of ambiguity of the movie. they did not understand and thought that it is so strong.
  4. Jun 18, 2012
    The movie provides the most outrageous sense of humour, but in a positive way. The humour in the film was deeply touching in a way that the viewer would not expect from this kind of film. The storyline was so outrageously distinctive compared to the othe ther teenage films. The protagonist of the movie was very well acted with such an original acting. My favorite teenage film so far ^^.
  5. DHE
    Dec 3, 2011
    If the central character is supposed to be sympathetic, I don't get it. She's an annoying, self-absorbed brat possessed of an undeserved case of ennui. Scarlett Johansson is also surprisingly uninteresting, leaving very little to focus on. The only (mildly) interesting moments in the film involved minor characters. Definitely a movie only another self-absorbed teenager could love. UnlessIf the central character is supposed to be sympathetic, I don't get it. She's an annoying, self-absorbed brat possessed of an undeserved case of ennui. Scarlett Johansson is also surprisingly uninteresting, leaving very little to focus on. The only (mildly) interesting moments in the film involved minor characters. Definitely a movie only another self-absorbed teenager could love. Unless you have a very high threshold for boredom, skip it Expand
  6. Aug 10, 2011
    Ghost World is an extraordinary,poignant portrayal of teenage angst and the perks and difficulties of social outsideness.It's equally witty and touching in its delivery.Thora Birch and Scarlett Johansson convey the alienation of their characters beautifully.Steve Buscemi gives one of the best performances of his career as Seymour,a lonely middle-aged man who finds solace only in hisGhost World is an extraordinary,poignant portrayal of teenage angst and the perks and difficulties of social outsideness.It's equally witty and touching in its delivery.Thora Birch and Scarlett Johansson convey the alienation of their characters beautifully.Steve Buscemi gives one of the best performances of his career as Seymour,a lonely middle-aged man who finds solace only in his record collection.Zwigoff and Clowes have created characters that are completely believable and relatable.It's one of the few films that portrays teen anxiety in such a unique way.It's equally subtle and moving in its delivery.Ghost World is one of the few genuinely life-altering movies I've seen.Also Scarlett Johansson's husky voice makes me weak at the knees! Expand
  7. Feb 27, 2011
    Hands down, the best movie of the 00's thus far. One of the greatest films ever made, a masterpiece. The career best performances for Thora Birch, Scarlett Johansson, and Steve Buscemi. Funny, touching, moving, and just enough of a mean streak to elevate it, without enough to hurt it. One of the best films ever to measure whether or not someone is a film fan, or just looking forHands down, the best movie of the 00's thus far. One of the greatest films ever made, a masterpiece. The career best performances for Thora Birch, Scarlett Johansson, and Steve Buscemi. Funny, touching, moving, and just enough of a mean streak to elevate it, without enough to hurt it. One of the best films ever to measure whether or not someone is a film fan, or just looking for mindless entertainment. The former will love this, the latter should go watch trash like Transformers 2. Expand
  8. Aug 27, 2010
    Much like Zwigoff's "Crumb," this movie exists wholly in a field of its own, and its constant eccentricities give it all the more power to captivate the viewer. Aside from being perfectly casted, the scripting/editing really give the movie its edge, as many of the characters are defined by one-liners and quick shots.
  9. JackL
    Jul 26, 2007
    This is a really really deep, intriguing and subtly poignant movie. The movie well deserves the score by the critics (if not higher). Those who says this movie is boring either because they don't watch it as if they are reading literature, which mean that there are symbols, metaphors, and imagery which need to be looked closely and analyzed in order to see a greater picture, or This is a really really deep, intriguing and subtly poignant movie. The movie well deserves the score by the critics (if not higher). Those who says this movie is boring either because they don't watch it as if they are reading literature, which mean that there are symbols, metaphors, and imagery which need to be looked closely and analyzed in order to see a greater picture, or because they are just too lazy to use their brain, which mean they rather let their brains be entertained (like when they watch those brainless, shallow mainstream blockbusters or those empty, mundane shows on television) than to make it think, which, in turn, would cause them too much pain since their brains have not been working for so long. C. Monster said that Expand
  10. BobE
    Apr 8, 2007
    Story, acting, soundtrack, visuals, casting, all just about brilliantly perfect.
  11. rzzzzz
    Aug 14, 2006
    most satisfying comedy in recent memory. original, deft and knowing. baby, even the losers get lucky some times, but in this film they're just too genuine and compelling to allow themselves to be Spielberged into some corny gift wrapped resolution.
  12. JamesL.
    Jul 27, 2006
    I can't believe Birch was nominated for a Golden Globe for this. I saw Ghost World in the theater, and I wasn't the only one laughing at scenes that were supposed to be touching. Poorly acted, poorly directed, and far less imaginative than it thinks it is. A big disappointment from Zwigoff; an even bigger letdown that the critics seem blind to the movie's myriad flaws.
  13. SamD.
    Jul 11, 2006
    i liked it but sometimes it was a little, bleh. it was very depressing.
  14. KevinE.
    Apr 27, 2006
    basically I agree with what most other people said. I was slightly confusing at the end but an overall enjoyable trip thats worth revisiting again and again.
  15. JohnA.
    Apr 26, 2006
    What a supremely funny, entertaining and moving film this is. Thora Birch is an amazingly underrated actress. I hope she will soon get as much recognition as her co-star Scarlett Johansson already has. No question, that Birch is the better actress.
  16. thewiseking
    Feb 11, 2006
    This film gets better with each viewing. My initial impression was that it was overly droll and too full of teenage ennui. However, with each reviewing (thanks to the indie film channels) I have really come to appreciate just how brilliantly this film captures what it is like to not quite fit in, in an age when hip/hop, ignorance, misogyny and thuggery have completely hijacked the popular This film gets better with each viewing. My initial impression was that it was overly droll and too full of teenage ennui. However, with each reviewing (thanks to the indie film channels) I have really come to appreciate just how brilliantly this film captures what it is like to not quite fit in, in an age when hip/hop, ignorance, misogyny and thuggery have completely hijacked the popular culture. Expand
  17. andone
    Nov 4, 2005
    How can someone say "seems to me like a movie that exists for existing's sake" about this movie. The story follows the comic work of Daniel Clowes, known for being one of the best graphic novelists in America. He even wrote the screenplay. Click over to the book review section on this site and read the reviews for one of his other works, 'Ice Haven'. The acting was the only How can someone say "seems to me like a movie that exists for existing's sake" about this movie. The story follows the comic work of Daniel Clowes, known for being one of the best graphic novelists in America. He even wrote the screenplay. Click over to the book review section on this site and read the reviews for one of his other works, 'Ice Haven'. The acting was the only redeeming quality? I bet that's why it recieved Academy Award and Golden Globe nominations for best adapted screenplay, right? b/c of the acting. The original story certainly didn't rely on acting to be compelling and respected. Just because you don't understand or can't relate to something doesn't mean that it "exists for existing's sake". I suspect J T is someone who is not well read. If you are someone who appreciates art, read Peter M and Alex C.'s reviews. If you would rather watch typical BS coming from hollywood, JT and C. Monster's reviews will better guide you. Expand
  18. KarenF.
    Apr 16, 2005
    Never get tired of watching this movie. One of my all time favorites. Thora Birch is AMAZING!
  19. AlexM.
    Dec 21, 2004
    If you are a person that can not relate to the rest of society than you may just end up relating to this film. Two friends finish school, both social outcasts, but one friend chooses to assimilate into society in order to getand the other chooses to stay at the fringe and mock it. A great film about living in a society you despise and life after high school.
  20. PeterC.
    Aug 9, 2004
    A funny, complex, witty, intellegent, breathtaking approtch to the alienation that many youths with brains feel upon coming of age in our all-you-can-eat blandfest of a society. The negative reviews of this film say more than the positives really: "Never have i seen such believable yet original characters. Never have i learned so much about the mind of the teenage girl. Never have i been A funny, complex, witty, intellegent, breathtaking approtch to the alienation that many youths with brains feel upon coming of age in our all-you-can-eat blandfest of a society. The negative reviews of this film say more than the positives really: "Never have i seen such believable yet original characters. Never have i learned so much about the mind of the teenage girl. Never have i been so bored." The fact is, many people are so used to being led through the nose through all the cliches of filmaking that when an honest and original film comes along, they have trouble keeping up. Still, it's not as good as the comic. But as an insult, that ranks up there with not getting a Nobel prize. Expand
  21. JT
    Jul 21, 2004
    Acting was good, but ultimately not enough to make this movie really worth watching. Seems to me like a movie that exists for existing's sake.
  22. C.Monster
    Jul 18, 2004
    The performances are certainly fine, as Birch, Johansson and Buscemi all are fine actors. But this movie drags a little bit during the first half and drags unbearably in the second half. There doesn't seem to be a point, and getting rid of Johansson in the last third of the movie is a huge mistake. A bore...what were the critics thinking?
  23. KyleA.
    Jul 6, 2004
    Beautifully cynical and hilarious.
  24. SocioPath
    Jun 3, 2004
    Scarlett Johansson is the sexiest chick in the world. if she got any more sexy i would become a raging rhinoscerous and bust down my house.
  25. JohnB.
    May 6, 2004
    One of my favorite movies.
  26. JohnB.
    May 6, 2004
    One of my favorite movies.
  27. ButteredPopcorn
    Apr 18, 2004
    This movie captured female adolescence so well, I was forced to have the same reaction to the movie I would to the two female teenager's unrelenting snootiness: LET ME OUT!!! I agree with A Gabor- BORING. Seymour is breath of fresh air in this otherwise suffocating movie, but alas, he grows boring too.... If you have to watch this movie,do yourself a favor and skip the first 15 minutes.
  28. DannyB.
    Mar 20, 2004
    This movie is just so amazing, and while some could argue there is not much of a plot (even though there is), the performances of Birch, Johannson, Buscemi, and all the others make you wonder how this movie recieved only 1 academy award nomination (Best Adapted Screenplay), and it didn't even win.
  29. AlexG.(ChasingEnid)
    Mar 10, 2004
    This is definitely my favorite movie of all time. I am very picky about what movies I like. Another one of my favorite movies "CHASING AMY" almost ties with "GHOST WORLD". I've been a Daniel Clowes fan for a long time now. He and Crumb are my idols; among other indie cartoonists..but anyways; Ghost World is a fantastic movie. It may not have a solid plot or "Memorable" characters (to This is definitely my favorite movie of all time. I am very picky about what movies I like. Another one of my favorite movies "CHASING AMY" almost ties with "GHOST WORLD". I've been a Daniel Clowes fan for a long time now. He and Crumb are my idols; among other indie cartoonists..but anyways; Ghost World is a fantastic movie. It may not have a solid plot or "Memorable" characters (to some), but neither does life, y'know? And life is all over the place and full of adolescent drama that seems stupid to the onlookers. And when you're gone, nobody remembers you... So the movie really amazed me. I was sucked in from the first time I saw it... I find myself wishing that Clowes (and Terry?) will put out more of his comics in film form. David Boring. Like a Velvet Glove Pussey... Something...any of them would be great. Expand
  30. RickyC.
    Jan 9, 2004
    This was the Best Movie of the Year 2001!
  31. KatieP.
    Dec 22, 2003
    One of my favs. and I don't like bad movies :)
  32. GaborA.
    Dec 10, 2003
    Never have i seen such believable yet original characters. Never have i learned so much about the mind of the teenage girl. Never have i been so bored. I dont understand why film was chosen as the medium to portray this idea. There existed not one visual element. As for the script. There is not one trully funny part. Acting and the desperate hope that something would develop were the only Never have i seen such believable yet original characters. Never have i learned so much about the mind of the teenage girl. Never have i been so bored. I dont understand why film was chosen as the medium to portray this idea. There existed not one visual element. As for the script. There is not one trully funny part. Acting and the desperate hope that something would develop were the only things that got me through this movie. Expand
  33. YoonMinC.
    Sep 30, 2003
    Rife with finely observed details about eccentrics and loners, bittersweet in its empathy for confused and resigned lives, Ghost World is one of finest films about the relationship between a grown-up dug into his little niche and a talented, highspirited, but disaffected young woman in danger of falling thru the cracks. Most artistic or bohemian types are thus endangered, but some manage Rife with finely observed details about eccentrics and loners, bittersweet in its empathy for confused and resigned lives, Ghost World is one of finest films about the relationship between a grown-up dug into his little niche and a talented, highspirited, but disaffected young woman in danger of falling thru the cracks. Most artistic or bohemian types are thus endangered, but some manage to demarcate their private cultish domains. The depiction of this world, which is fascinating with all its cultural/historical artifacts and pathetic as a trap for morose, stalled lives, is insightful, avoiding both judgment and puffery. Directed by Terry Zwigoff (Crumb)who has an affection for this milieu. Expand
  34. AaronMicahF.
    Sep 12, 2003
    A wry, witty slice of life. This movie comes in second on the great non-conformists chart (After Rushmore, which if you liked Ghost World you really should see!).
  35. DanielM.
    Aug 6, 2003
    Love the non-conformist attitude that Enid has. She represents someone or something that everyperson has been at one point in their lives. Warning, this movie is not for the shallow.
  36. Malcolm
    Jul 1, 2003
    Loved " Crumb " I understand his Robert Crumbs wife drew the pictures from Enids scrapbook!? The mullett dude could have been in it more, but he stole every scene he was in...And now we know the orgins of Cook's Chicken! :) Hilarious Stuff, & Thora's HOT!
  37. NickT.
    Jun 24, 2003
    Among one of my favorites, I have watched this movie over many times and it never seems to get old. Birch's witty, sarcastic sense of humor exactly fits mine, and she (along with Johanson, and Buschemi) gives a very real and unforgettable performance. This is a great movie. One that is very hard to find.
  38. MaurícioG.
    Apr 30, 2003
    Isn't it interesting when a movie offends a certain lifestyle, and then the people who live that lifestyle go to metacritic and try to make some lame excuse to give such a low score?
  39. MetelInc.
    Apr 26, 2003
    Ummm.....this movie was horrible....I am confused by the high scores.
  40. StephenS.
    Apr 20, 2003
    A film that is unsettlingly pleasurable.
  41. HeyHey
    Mar 29, 2003
    I luv josh (brad renfro).
  42. JBJ
    Mar 24, 2003
    To watch the paint dry is more interresting than watching this movies how the hell did people like this movie. I fell asleep it was so bad. if you like this movie go and get a life!
  43. Haley
    Mar 1, 2003
    I love this movie! It is the way my friends and I live our lives!
  44. Seven
    Feb 26, 2003
    Its the story of my life! thats all i have to say, it made so much sense and was so close to reality, i was just AWSOME, and the person who goes by "BEING"........you obviosly have no taste in anything.. ha!
  45. Allan
    Feb 13, 2003
    Best..movie..ever!
  46. AndNowOnSouthern:GilbertMulroneycakes
    Nov 27, 2002
    At last, someone makes the name "Thora" fashionable. Here there's another great movie she's in. Ebert's right: let's all hug this movie.
  47. QBeing
    Nov 20, 2002
    Boring and uninspiring, I kept looking at my watch wondering when it would end. The acting was great but it was not enough to make this film even remotely interesting. It was all about a girl who needs to grow up and get a life.
  48. Steve-OG.
    Sep 30, 2002
    OMG What a fuuny movie.. i haven't laughed harder .. hey josh this is seymore ( DROP) ... OMG.. Thora Birch played her best ever in this movie .. Dear Josh... We Came by to F*** you but you were not home.. there for you are gat.. signed tiffany and amber..i loved this movie.. and for all who hated it and thought that it had no plot or bad characters.. you're retards.
  49. ZachP.
    Aug 28, 2002
    This movie works so well so often. It may lose points in some circles for its very white cast and very white feel, but those points were made up to me as soon as Steve Buscemi appeared on camera. He is as good as any other actor in any other role, consistently, in this movie, and his lost-in-loserdom chemistry with Thora Birch makes this one for the books. Instantly made my top ten.
  50. MaxM.
    Jul 17, 2002
    Unless you're an angsty adolescent with "issues," chances are this film will bore the pants off you. And this is coming from someone who usually loves these kind of indie flicks.
  51. FrankR.
    Jul 11, 2002
    Thora Birch is the coolest!
  52. SarahG.
    Apr 19, 2002
    Thora Birch is my fantasy. My boyfriend went down on me while I watched Thora on this film.
  53. BuddyT.
    Mar 29, 2002
    This Movie Sucks.
  54. Nikki
    Mar 20, 2002
    This is a movie for teens! It's really really cool...the language and everything, every teen will find it funny. I liked it cuz it relates to the teen world. WARNING: do not watch it with your parents. Not for children.
  55. GabeT.
    Mar 16, 2002
    Heartbreaking, sweet and tender, Ghost World is one of this year's quieter pleasures. Easily the best film ever made from a comic book.
  56. MarcK.
    Mar 2, 2002
    OK, this film is definitely worth seeing, but I think all the critical slobbering over this film raised my expectations way too high. The acting's excellent, and I know Buscemi won some Critics Awards for this role, but after seeing his performance, he definitely deserved an Academy Award nomination, if not the Oscar itself. Quite different from his other roles, and he doesn't OK, this film is definitely worth seeing, but I think all the critical slobbering over this film raised my expectations way too high. The acting's excellent, and I know Buscemi won some Critics Awards for this role, but after seeing his performance, he definitely deserved an Academy Award nomination, if not the Oscar itself. Quite different from his other roles, and he doesn't take the easy way out by being the "stereotypical" nerd. Expand
  57. Huge
    Mar 1, 2002
    What a boring piece of crap! Zero plot, weak characters...I can't believe this pile is getting good reviews! So bland I just turned it off, didn't even care how it ended. What a waste of time!
  58. TedA.
    Feb 27, 2002
    Ghost World is a story of teen age alienation for the current age. Enid and her friend Rebecca have graduated from high school and are truly at lose ends trying to answer the question, "What next?" Thora Birch is excellent as Enid, a girl in search of her life and who she is. She is ever so close to her girl friend, Rebecca (Scarlett Johansson), and then she isn't. All this is Ghost World is a story of teen age alienation for the current age. Enid and her friend Rebecca have graduated from high school and are truly at lose ends trying to answer the question, "What next?" Thora Birch is excellent as Enid, a girl in search of her life and who she is. She is ever so close to her girl friend, Rebecca (Scarlett Johansson), and then she isn't. All this is extremely painful, but then much of what happens at age 18 is painful. Ghost World has to be the ultimate Steve Buscemi vehicle. He plays Seymour, a nerd's nerd and obsessive collector of obscure blues 78's. He wears long monochromatic shirts even as he lives a very monochromic life. The art direction is noteworthy. There is a hysterical Indian video to which Enid is dancing during the opening credits and which is available in full on the DVD. Rooms are a vivid green, intense orange and burnt red. This is an uneven movie, which given the small intentions of the movie, is more forgivable than would be in a more pretentious ambitious movie. There is some unfunny stuff between a Pakistani quick mart store owner and a crazy numchuk wielding American. The end is ambiguous...[Ed: Potential spoiler omitted.] Expand
    Feb 19, 2002
    This movie had so much potential. Too bad it was totally wasted. Nothing develops, and the movie ends. Don't waste your time.
  60. StefC.
    Feb 17, 2002
    What possessed someone to make this movie? It wasn't at all interesting or funny. Did i get the wrong movie or something or does everyone else just have no taste? My advice: forget the critics, they have no idea what the definition of a good movie is. Also, do youself a favor and don't see this movie... unless of course your an insomniac. In that case, this movie will put you toWhat possessed someone to make this movie? It wasn't at all interesting or funny. Did i get the wrong movie or something or does everyone else just have no taste? My advice: forget the critics, they have no idea what the definition of a good movie is. Also, do youself a favor and don't see this movie... unless of course your an insomniac. In that case, this movie will put you to sleep no problem! Expand
  61. MalyssaS.
    Nov 17, 2001
    It's a great look into teenage life. The best part is the lack of special effects. Making Ghost World a GREAT movie.
  62. NoahV.
    Oct 27, 2001
    Touched.
  63. B.R.S.
    Sep 17, 2001
    Ambiguous ending doesn't dampen the offbeat and touching film about those with out of the mainstream good taste who just don't quite fit in. See it!
  64. ArnoldP.
    Sep 1, 2001
    Despite a plodding pace, the insight into the world of alienation of a tennager is frightening. Buscemi is a great "nebbish" moral center and Birch is pathetic and scary, extraordinarily acted. Whatever the filmaker intended the abstract ending to mean, it resolved nothing in a total anti-Hollywood way. Disturbing fun?
  65. BrianR.
    Aug 28, 2001
    Smart, funny offbeat comedy with characters you feel for. A proverbial breath of fresh air. Go see it. Fans of "Bridget Jones' Diary" will like this one.
  66. JoolsY.
    Aug 25, 2001
    Gordon T. is right about young women; this was my life in high school (albeit far more interesting, colorful, and well-dressed). I can't say much that the reviewers haven't, but I thoroughly enjoyed this movie and left with my head spinning; it took several hours to feel like I'd returned to the rather mundane place from which I'd come.
  67. GordonT.
    Aug 21, 2001
    Great insight into young women and life in general. Well-written and acted.
  68. DanB.
    Aug 15, 2001
    Great acting, great dialogue, fine sense of color, sharp social commentary (something sorely lacking in most Hollywood tripe) - the best movie to come out in some time. Shows how to make a great movie without relying on special effects and other such distractions.
  69. BobH.
    Aug 3, 2001
    A carefully-observed riot. If you loved "Crumb," you'll love this, too. In some ways, it's almost a sequel; Birch's and Buscemi's characters have much in common with the subject of Zwigoff's earlier work, the tone and humor are similar, and the director even includes a number of knowing winks to "Crumb" as well. Thankfully, characters not as artistically sensitive A carefully-observed riot. If you loved "Crumb," you'll love this, too. In some ways, it's almost a sequel; Birch's and Buscemi's characters have much in common with the subject of Zwigoff's earlier work, the tone and humor are similar, and the director even includes a number of knowing winks to "Crumb" as well. Thankfully, characters not as artistically sensitive are still portrayed with good humor, subtletym and empathy. Bob Balaban and Illeana Douglas are a hoot in supporting roles. One of my favorite films of the year. Expand
  70. MichaelF.
    Jul 30, 2001
    The thing about this movie is the screenplay. The movie spends no time at all with Brad Renfro's part, which was the most interesting. The movie is predictable and boring as hell.

The results are both savagely funny and poignant for anyone who's ever had a friendship that felt like their only connection to the outside world.
    In his first fiction feature, Zwigoff doesn't forget to bring the funny. But he doesn't bring enough poetry.
    Offers an exquisite tour of the twilight zone between high school and the so-called real world, as well as between bohemian subculture and the even stranger culture of America at large.