8.7

1. Mar 1, 2014
    A beautiful movie with a touching story and an incredible cast. Whooping Goldberg made me laugh during this movie and she dilivered an awesome performance. Patrick Swayze is my man crush.
  2. AndrewM
    Jul 20, 2004
    The brilliance of this movie is that it makes you care whether you want to or not! Unless you're completely repelled by it, you will be affected. I saw this film long ago (well, 14 years ago, to be exact) when I was a naive 15-year-old, with my first serious girlfriend. It quickly became 'our' movie. When we first saw it, we laughed together, we 'jumped' together, The brilliance of this movie is that it makes you care whether you want to or not! Unless you're completely repelled by it, you will be affected. I saw this film long ago (well, 14 years ago, to be exact) when I was a naive 15-year-old, with my first serious girlfriend. It quickly became 'our' movie. When we first saw it, we laughed together, we 'jumped' together, we cried together, we hoped together. We returned the following weekend to watch it again, and feel everything all over again. It's a real tearjerker, and now in my 'old age', like most other blokes, I can say it's not really my sort of film. But I can't deny that when I saw all those years ago, I loved it. It's a great story, beautifully told, and it makes you really care! And if you can hold back tears at the end, you're must be made of stuff other than flesh and bone. Expand
  3. Emily
    Jul 30, 2004
    I love it. Usually when i watch a movie i keep looking at the clock to see how long weve got left watching it but this time my eyes were fixed to the television taking in every moment and every word said. I beg to differ that the acting was rubbish. All those who have said such should stand up on a movie set and try to do any better. The movie was electric. The most moving scene was when I love it. Usually when i watch a movie i keep looking at the clock to see how long weve got left watching it but this time my eyes were fixed to the television taking in every moment and every word said. I beg to differ that the acting was rubbish. All those who have said such should stand up on a movie set and try to do any better. The movie was electric. The most moving scene was when whoopi let patrick enter her body and they started dancing to the music. The effects were good and so was the script writing. It was an origonal sentimental masterpiece. Well Done! Expand
  4. Aug 24, 2014
    Wrenches at every inch of the heart. Beautifully executed. Films like this don't come often enough and when they do, you most certainly know it. Whoopi Goldberg at her finest.
  5. Aug 11, 2013
    What we have in 'Ghost" is a film with many brilliant performances, an interesting, intriguing but often bumpy plot which is often full of unexplained queries and questionable motives, and a romantic burst so powerful and heavy that it has all the makings of a tragic fairytale. Tragic being the most important word here, as Patrick Swayze plays a Sam Wheat, a handsome man with a handsomeWhat we have in 'Ghost" is a film with many brilliant performances, an interesting, intriguing but often bumpy plot which is often full of unexplained queries and questionable motives, and a romantic burst so powerful and heavy that it has all the makings of a tragic fairytale. Tragic being the most important word here, as Patrick Swayze plays a Sam Wheat, a handsome man with a handsome bank job and a beautiful girlfriend, Molly (Demi Moore). Sam gets shot while out one night with Molly after trying to protect her from a crazed mugger, but Sam succumbs to injury, setting up the rest of the film as Sam attempts to discover why he is still on earth.
    Seeking out the help of the reluctant Oda Mae Brown (Whoopi Goldberg), an apparent psychic, and con artist, can here Sam speaking to her. But as we learn more about these characters, particularly Sam's best friend, Karl (Tony Goldwyn), its clear that the death of this man was no accident, something I personally feel took a lot of heart out of the film and turned into an attempted thriller which it didn't need to be. But as the story unfolds, Sam is looking for various ways to convince a grieving Molly that he still around and that she is in danger. The performances are stellar from all four leading characters, but it has to be the hilarious but focused performance of Whoopi Goldberg that needs particular attention. The way she commands the screen and interacts with the other leads is an honour to watch, showing various sides of the character she is portraying several ways and all in the one film is remarkable.
    In terms of the story, the dialogue leading up to the tragic event seems to give away what is going to happen anyway if you listen closely, remarking several times about long lives other such things. Also, the appearance of what can only be angels from above and shadows coming from the ground is never really explained, we know the purpose of them, but a more in-depth explanation wouldn't have hurt, especially after the events of the film unfold, it ends up turning into a murder mystery which does become a hindrance on the romantic side of the film, which can't be ignored, there are some truly touching scenes in the film, with Moore and Swayze sharing a believable and heartfelt chemistry.
    There are many reasons to see this film, more so for the love story being told, but there are other plot developments going on that do hinder what could have been a more fluid and simple story.
  6. MitchM.
    Mar 8, 2003
    I thought this movie was excellent in the theatre. I guess after the 40th time they showed it on TNT it got a little old....
  7. ReneL.
    May 31, 2003
    This movie is very touching. If you believe in life after death this movie shows it in a significant way.

1. In all his athletic scenes, leaping through doors, leaping between uptown and downtown trains, leaping on an assortment of villains, Swayze is just fine. It's the movie's big cosmic questions that throw him; for these he's reduced to a look of total stupefaction--not the movie's finest moments. [13 July 1990, Calendar, p.F-1]
  2. A wonderful movie, sincere and inspired, with four terrific performances and a story that doesn't let up. The picture has the gentle, nourishing quality of a fairy tale that you want to believe, and the unsoftened impact of gut-level entertainment. [13 July 1990, Daily Datebook, p.E1]
  3. Reviewed by: Richard Corliss
    A bad movie that a lot of people will like... Though director Jerry Zucker wants his necrophiliac romance to be sensitive, he pumps up its feelings fortissimo so the dimmest viewer will get the point. [16 July 1990, p.86]