Paramount Pictures | Release Date: July 13, 1990
8.9
Universal acclaim based on 152 Ratings
WATCH NOW
MissDraeMar 1, 2014
A beautiful movie with a touching story and an incredible cast. Whooping Goldberg made me laugh during this movie and she dilivered an awesome performance. Patrick Swayze is my man crush.
AndrewMJul 20, 2004
The brilliance of this movie is that it makes you care whether you want to or not! Unless you're completely repelled by it, you will be affected. I saw this film long ago (well, 14 years ago, to be exact) when I was a naive 15-year-old, The brilliance of this movie is that it makes you care whether you want to or not! Unless you're completely repelled by it, you will be affected. I saw this film long ago (well, 14 years ago, to be exact) when I was a naive 15-year-old, with my first serious girlfriend. It quickly became 'our' movie. When we first saw it, we laughed together, we 'jumped' together, we cried together, we hoped together. We returned the following weekend to watch it again, and feel everything all over again. It's a real tearjerker, and now in my 'old age', like most other blokes, I can say it's not really my sort of film. But I can't deny that when I saw all those years ago, I loved it. It's a great story, beautifully told, and it makes you really care! And if you can hold back tears at the end, you're must be made of stuff other than flesh and bone. Expand
1 of 1 users found this helpful
EmilyJul 30, 2004
I love it. Usually when i watch a movie i keep looking at the clock to see how long weve got left watching it but this time my eyes were fixed to the television taking in every moment and every word said. I beg to differ that the acting was I love it. Usually when i watch a movie i keep looking at the clock to see how long weve got left watching it but this time my eyes were fixed to the television taking in every moment and every word said. I beg to differ that the acting was rubbish. All those who have said such should stand up on a movie set and try to do any better. The movie was electric. The most moving scene was when whoopi let patrick enter her body and they started dancing to the music. The effects were good and so was the script writing. It was an origonal sentimental masterpiece. Well Done! Expand
1 of 1 users found this helpful
qamasterSep 20, 2016
This is one of the best movies that I have ever seen. Excellent characters. Perfect plot. Not a single mistake. Ingenious. Masterly. Beautifully. Exciting
sammykleinSep 22, 2016
This Is Another Great Movie It's One Of The Best Whoopi Goldberg Movies That I Ever Seen This Movies Stars Whoopi Goldberg, Demi Moore And Patrick Swayze It's About Patrick Swayze Who Lives With Demi Moore And Then All Of A Sudden PatrickThis Is Another Great Movie It's One Of The Best Whoopi Goldberg Movies That I Ever Seen This Movies Stars Whoopi Goldberg, Demi Moore And Patrick Swayze It's About Patrick Swayze Who Lives With Demi Moore And Then All Of A Sudden Patrick Swayze Becomes A Ghost After He Died By A Murder He Is A Ghost And He Literally Dosen't Touch Anything At All Soon Enough Patrick Comes Into Whoopi's Apartment And They Are Not Getting Along Very Well And Then Soon Enough The Ghosts Send The Murder To Hell And Then In The End Of The Movie Patrick Starts To Die After He Was A Ghost For A While It's A Great Movie You Should Buy A Copy Of It Ot Renting It Off At Netflix Expand
beingryanjudeAug 24, 2014
Wrenches at every inch of the heart. Beautifully executed. Films like this don't come often enough and when they do, you most certainly know it. Whoopi Goldberg at her finest.
StevenFAug 11, 2013
What we have in 'Ghost" is a film with many brilliant performances, an interesting, intriguing but often bumpy plot which is often full of unexplained queries and questionable motives, and a romantic burst so powerful and heavy that it hasWhat we have in 'Ghost" is a film with many brilliant performances, an interesting, intriguing but often bumpy plot which is often full of unexplained queries and questionable motives, and a romantic burst so powerful and heavy that it has all the makings of a tragic fairytale. Tragic being the most important word here, as Patrick Swayze plays a Sam Wheat, a handsome man with a handsome bank job and a beautiful girlfriend, Molly (Demi Moore). Sam gets shot while out one night with Molly after trying to protect her from a crazed mugger, but Sam succumbs to injury, setting up the rest of the film as Sam attempts to discover why he is still on earth.
Seeking out the help of the reluctant Oda Mae Brown (Whoopi Goldberg), an apparent psychic, and con artist, can here Sam speaking to her. But as we learn more about these characters, particularly Sam's best friend, Karl (Tony Goldwyn), its clear that the death of this man was no accident, something I personally feel took a lot of heart out of the film and turned into an attempted thriller which it didn't need to be. But as the story unfolds, Sam is looking for various ways to convince a grieving Molly that he still around and that she is in danger. The performances are stellar from all four leading characters, but it has to be the hilarious but focused performance of Whoopi Goldberg that needs particular attention. The way she commands the screen and interacts with the other leads is an honour to watch, showing various sides of the character she is portraying several ways and all in the one film is remarkable.
In terms of the story, the dialogue leading up to the tragic event seems to give away what is going to happen anyway if you listen closely, remarking several times about long lives other such things. Also, the appearance of what can only be angels from above and shadows coming from the ground is never really explained, we know the purpose of them, but a more in-depth explanation wouldn't have hurt, especially after the events of the film unfold, it ends up turning into a murder mystery which does become a hindrance on the romantic side of the film, which can't be ignored, there are some truly touching scenes in the film, with Moore and Swayze sharing a believable and heartfelt chemistry.
There are many reasons to see this film, more so for the love story being told, but there are other plot developments going on that do hinder what could have been a more fluid and simple story.
MitchM.Mar 8, 2003
I thought this movie was excellent in the theatre. I guess after the 40th time they showed it on TNT it got a little old....
0 of 0 users found this helpful
ReneL.May 31, 2003
This movie is very touching. If you believe in life after death this movie shows it in a significant way.
0 of 0 users found this helpful