New Line Cinema | Release Date: May 1, 2009
8.0
Generally favorable reviews based on 130 Ratings
WATCH NOW
Check box if your review contains spoilers 0 characteres (5000 max)
ShellsMay 24, 2009
Its a chick flick don't have too many expectations.
1 of 1 users found this helpful
kgmMay 2, 2009
Not sure why this movie was released in the spring as compared to the Christmas season but it
TDKinDallasMay 3, 2009
Cute, fun movie to waste some time in. Good date movie. Should have been rated R, very adult goings on.
ChadSMay 3, 2009
The Ghost of Girlfriends Past is so young; an eternal teenager who haunts Connor Mead at his brother's wedding because, one surmises, the lothario had something to do with her death. Cheerfully playing the curator of his own romantic The Ghost of Girlfriends Past is so young; an eternal teenager who haunts Connor Mead at his brother's wedding because, one surmises, the lothario had something to do with her death. Cheerfully playing the curator of his own romantic history, the former Allison Vandermeersh was on the receiving end of a careless kiss from Connor at a basement party. They were high school contemporaries. In all probability, the dead girl has issues with Connor, a fact that "Ghosts of Girlfriends Past" largely obscures since her comportment betrays no blatant malevolent signs which would be detrimental to the irritating lightness of this purported romantic comedy. But subtle signs subsist, in spite of the film's broad comic tone. Arranged by Allison's control of time and space, Connor revisits a scene from his formative years; his non-a**hole years before mom and dad expired in a car wreck, where he tells the girl on a the swing, "I'll keep it forever," because the ghost knows that the Polaroid is his most prized memento. With glee, Allison repeatedly rewinds this moment when Connor's older self denies ever having expressed himself so vulnerably. At the aforementioned party, Allison clearly wasn't part of the in-crowd(the glasses and braces are a dead giveaway), so her makeout session with Connor(off-screen, following the secondhand kiss) was quite possibly the highlight of her short life. The dead girl, after all these years, revels in being his first conquest. If "Ghosts of Girlfriends Past" was more honest, it would have included a scene in which the photographer asks Allison about the details surrounding her death. Sadly, her character is underwritten. Instead of ripping off Charles Dickens' "A Christmas Carol", the narrative might have benefited from having just one ghost: a ghost with a long memory and bruised feelings. The film seems unaware that Connor owes The Ghost of Girlfriends Past an apology. His redemption is too easy. Expand
SheldonHMay 4, 2009
Just a normal shallow chick flick. It's great for a simple date, but don't expect an Oscar. It meets the expectation of just a decent flick.
JayHSep 16, 2009
The thing about Matthew McConaughey is he thinks he is hotter than just about anyone else and his conceit is quite irritating. This is a very predictable romantic comedy, not very well written and few performances that stand out. Nothing The thing about Matthew McConaughey is he thinks he is hotter than just about anyone else and his conceit is quite irritating. This is a very predictable romantic comedy, not very well written and few performances that stand out. Nothing special at all. Expand
danielb1982Nov 16, 2011
Considering this was a "chick flick" I actually enjoyed it. Its based on an idea similar to 'A Christmas Carol". I actually decided to purchase it after I had viewed the trailer on another film I purchased.

I'm a big fan of films with a

I'm a big fan of films with a ghost type theme anyway, so thought I would give this one a go, although I'm not normally a fan of chick flicks, I found the story to be enjoyable.