5.3

1. Apr 1, 2013
    Most action movies try to retain some degree of plausibility G.I. Joe: Retaliation blows it up with a suborbital laser. If you want to watch this movie you probably already know what you're in for the action is extremely stylised and there is nearly no plot at all. However, the action is done well and the movie is certainly fun. The highlight is the ninja sequence that takes place in theMost action movies try to retain some degree of plausibility G.I. Joe: Retaliation blows it up with a suborbital laser. If you want to watch this movie you probably already know what you're in for the action is extremely stylised and there is nearly no plot at all. However, the action is done well and the movie is certainly fun. The highlight is the ninja sequence that takes place in the mountains; it's pacing is perfect and it's worth seeing the film in 3D just for that part. Expand
  2. Apr 8, 2013
    wasn't sure if it was possible for them to make a worse sequel that the 1st movie where they blow the ice caps and they sink....but turns out i was wrong, pure garbage movie, the action was awful, the acting was awful, they was nothing worth while in this movie.
  3. Apr 25, 2013
    GI Joe Retaliation is a fun, loud and generally dumb action movie that only really warrrants being seen once. It sure is entertaining and well worth the price of admission, but it doesn't have much to offer outside of pretty lights and big explosions. Ultimately, it does what it sets out to do and shouldn't be judged at the same level as more intelligent or thought-provoking films. AGI Joe Retaliation is a fun, loud and generally dumb action movie that only really warrrants being seen once. It sure is entertaining and well worth the price of admission, but it doesn't have much to offer outside of pretty lights and big explosions. Ultimately, it does what it sets out to do and shouldn't be judged at the same level as more intelligent or thought-provoking films. A decent time in the cinema. Expand
  4. Jan 5, 2014
    G.I. Joe: Retaliation is a brainless exercise of fun and exciting action sequences but is held too loosely by its narrative and underdeveloped characters.
  5. Nov 10, 2014
    G.I. Joe: Retaliation is a brainless exercise of fun and exciting action sequences but is held too loosely by its slim narrative and underdeveloped characters.
  6. Nov 13, 2014
    "G.I. Joe: Retaliation" 10 Scale Rating: 3.0 (Awful) ...

The Good: Like with the first film, Storm Shadow was crazy awesome. For all the liberties they took with characters and how far off they all are, they absolutely nailed Storm Shadow. Snake Eyes was also well done, though a silent character is much easier to pull off. The Bad: Poor action sequences for a film geared towards it.
    "G.I. Joe: Retaliation" 10 Scale Rating: 3.0 (Awful) ...

The Bad: Poor action sequences for a film geared towards it. Horrible dialogue and cheesy lines that made me cringe more times than I can remember. Cobra Commander was poorly done and Firefly was awful. One of the worst plots I have seen for a film from this genre and even the worst episodes of the dated cartoon series did a better job.
  7. Apr 8, 2013
    I'll begin by stating that I am not familiar with the G.I. Joe franchise. However, it doesn't take a G.I. Joe fan to recognize that pretty special effects can't save a film oozing with stale characters and a pathetic script.
  8. Mar 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I don't like this version. The actor not good. I don' t know what happens with Duke. The first version was very very very better that this version... Expand
  9. Apr 5, 2013
    G.I. Joe Retaliation is much better than G.I. joe Rise of the Cobra. The action is much better and the Special FX are better to. The story is good, I only can say positive things about this movie.
  10. Mar 30, 2013
    A solid movie all around with fantastic action sequences, strong acting performances, and pacing that isn't too fast. The story/setup was a little unbelievable but I guess you gotta expect that with this kind of film (come on... those girls wouldn't be in the military). The ending was also very predictable, as expected. Regardless I was fully engaged the entire time and really enjoyed it.A solid movie all around with fantastic action sequences, strong acting performances, and pacing that isn't too fast. The story/setup was a little unbelievable but I guess you gotta expect that with this kind of film (come on... those girls wouldn't be in the military). The ending was also very predictable, as expected. Regardless I was fully engaged the entire time and really enjoyed it. Definitely go and see it. Expand
  11. Apr 7, 2013
    I don't understand. This is obviously not the movie I was expecting. In my childhood, G.I. Joes were action figures that kids loved to play with and when I went to watch this movie, there wasn't a single action figure in it! 2/10 stars.
  12. Mar 31, 2013
    Having enjoyed the first movie, I expected to like this one as well, but I overlooked the fact that the director and the writers changed. This movie is a bunch of bloody ridiculous (they're too absurd, even by action movie standards) scenes with very little connection between them and with a load of new characters which aren't properly introduced. The plot, again, is total crap, bothHaving enjoyed the first movie, I expected to like this one as well, but I overlooked the fact that the director and the writers changed. This movie is a bunch of bloody ridiculous (they're too absurd, even by action movie standards) scenes with very little connection between them and with a load of new characters which aren't properly introduced. The plot, again, is total crap, both heroes and villains are damn clowns and action scenes are mostly dull with lots of shaky-cam awkwardness. I wish I didn't spend money on this circus, and I definitely can't recommend anyone to watch this piece of nonsense. (metacritic edited out 10 or so curse words in my review, that's a shame) Expand
  13. Mar 29, 2013
    Well. This movie is a ''more of the same'' type movie. Its all very spectacular but with no sense. I saw it in 3D. Thats why I scored it with a 5. The 3D effects are good, but the story is a piece of crap. There are a lot of 'shoot whatever moves' moments. Don't waste your money. I mean it
  14. Apr 17, 2013
    Oh my God! This movie was excellent It is action-packed from beginning to the end. I loved the high tech toys and the special effects. I was thrilled the whole timed Dwayne The Rock) is fine as usual. Whoever does not like this movie, don't believe them, please go and judge for yourself. I go to the show to be entertained, and this is what you get from G.I.Joe.
  15. May 28, 2013
    After the last one, I thought I was going to get the same thing, and since this was directed by the director of the Step Up movies, I thought it was going to be even worse than the last one. I was HUGELY mistaken! This sequel/reboot is exactly what G.I. Joe is: stupid fun! Jon M. Chu definitely shows he's a huge fan of G.I. Joe and he should be praised for this!
  16. Mar 29, 2013
    GI Joe Retaliation is essentially a toy commercial and an action film aimed at adolescent boys. Yes, I may sound negative, but with a right frame of mind, GI Joe Retaliation is actually a lot of fun. Critics? Phooey :p They don't understand the fun of staging your own action 'set pieces' when you're a kid with your Joe's action figures. One of the highlight is simply the Rock aka.GI Joe Retaliation is essentially a toy commercial and an action film aimed at adolescent boys. Yes, I may sound negative, but with a right frame of mind, GI Joe Retaliation is actually a lot of fun. Critics? Phooey :p They don't understand the fun of staging your own action 'set pieces' when you're a kid with your Joe's action figures. One of the highlight is simply the Rock aka. Dwayne Johnson. He brings in his usual charisma and 'conviction' into this film. He doesn't patronize his role as an 'action figure' and brings in an 'injection' of fun into this middle brow franchise. Another thing: for a silly film such as this, GI Joe does not overstay its welcome: at less than two hours (take note, Michael Bay). Not a great film but an enjoyable one. Don't be a cynic, folks. Expand
  17. Mar 29, 2013
    A very off line Gi Joe movie, I was very excited for this one and it was good. First of all, there is this guy who is not Duke and is not Channing Tatum and he's still in the movie I mean is there some connection Mr. Chu? But, don't listen to me, this is a great oddball creation and is the best action movie so far in 2013 rather than Dead Man Down, and Retaliation has a boost up upgrade toA very off line Gi Joe movie, I was very excited for this one and it was good. First of all, there is this guy who is not Duke and is not Channing Tatum and he's still in the movie I mean is there some connection Mr. Chu? But, don't listen to me, this is a great oddball creation and is the best action movie so far in 2013 rather than Dead Man Down, and Retaliation has a boost up upgrade to actors, direction, story and screenplay. Rise Of The Cobra was a little disappointing and this sequel has everything- guns, chicks, and- hey! Dwayne Johnson! The film had good pace and timing, it keeps you hooked up till the end. Now, Bruce Willis is in the movie but is he cool in this movie? Duh, he's Bruce Willis and this Muscular Baldie is epic awesome is this movie. So, for the bad critics out there who think that this movie is bad- Watch It Again. I mean, it's a GOOD movie, its what Gi Joe fans want! It just like the cartoons and it has Cobra Menace! Expand
  18. Mar 29, 2013
    A good if not very good action movie. A big improvement over the first. Dialogue was a bit hokey, but forgivable. Well done action sequences. Good, if not great pacing. Funny at times and had a little bit more to it then the previews. Biggest gripe was the previews still showed to much. But that is the nature of modern previews in general. Worth a watch and still a decent enough movie overall.
  19. Mar 29, 2013
    This a Frankly a Step Up from the franchise. I didn't expect the movie to be great. I Was Disappointed. This Movie is Amazing For Action Fans- It's the best action movie of 2013 so far. The Cast is very likable Dwayne The Rock Johnson handles the Character with ease. He good the in the emotional scenes and his 'few' comic scenes with Channing Tatum are a delight. Bruce Willis plays anThis a Frankly a Step Up from the franchise. I didn't expect the movie to be great. I Was Disappointed. This Movie is Amazing For Action Fans- It's the best action movie of 2013 so far. The Cast is very likable Dwayne The Rock Johnson handles the Character with ease. He good the in the emotional scenes and his 'few' comic scenes with Channing Tatum are a delight. Bruce Willis plays an icing on the cake.The Action sequences are awesome in 3D. 9/10 Expand
  20. Apr 2, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. So, I went and saw G.I. Joe Retaliation last night. The cinema should've handed out free gravy, to go with this turkey. Don't get me wrong. I expected precious little from this movie, & was really in the mood for some brain softening violence, & pointless explosions. On that level, it delivered, but much like the first movie, it could've been so much better. Mentioning the preposterous nature of just about everything in the film is kind of a moot point, considering the fanciful nature of the cartoon it was inspired by. So, let's just break this thing down to its bones.

1. Intent. This film serves but one function: Selling a ton of toys for a zillion dollars. We can all thank Hasbro for that, & I don't fault them for it one bit. It's a very honest approach, but it tends to make this movie feel a bit soulless.

2. Channing Tatum. I never thought I'd say it, but the filmmakers killed off his character way too soon. There are reasons for this, but none of them are very good. He was the main character, & although they tried to give him a hero's death, & pass the torch to The Rock, his death creates a huge vacuum in the movie, since his is the most developed character in the whole picture.

3. The Rock. He actually did a decent job, considering what he was working with. Oddly enough, the scenes where he is not acting like a roided out WWE meets USMC hybrid reveal that he is capable of much more depth than this script allows.

4. Cobra Commander. Although no one seemed to have the budget for Joseph Gordon Levitt this time, aesthetic changes were made to his look. This was a positive change. He still sounds wrong. Part of what made Cobra Commander such an endearing character, on the cartoon, was not his seriousness. He was supervillain evil, but also petty, arrogant, whiny, spoiled, and blaming when the situation would eventually go sideways. In this movie, he leaves Destro IN THE FREEZER! Huh? What? You remember Destro? He's the guy supplying all the weapons to COBRA. wtf?

5. The ninjas. Retaliation seems like a patchwork of market research results from Comicon. You know...press the buzzer when you see something you like. Any woman made to watch this film was probably pressing the crud out of that button while Channing Tatum was still alive, while every male was pressing it during ninja fight scenes. Psst...we're also fond of bacon. It's so hot right now. So, absolutely no effort, at all, was put in to sharing with us how Stormshadow survived being ginsu'd up and tossed in to a fusion reactor. He was just back like nothing ever happened. Now, don't get it twisted. I like Byung-hun Le, and he looks really cool doing all this dope ninja stuff. Unfortunately, the writers of this thing really messed up the whole Stormshadow backstory, to the point that we're supposed to believe that Zartan duped him, and RZA's whole ninja order, into a life of evil. You can't even make up incoherent tripe like this.

6. Bruce Willis. I love him, but he really needs to choose better projects, or just call it a day. He comes off as broken in Retaliation, either by age induced apathy or the harsh toll of his Demi Moore court battles. He just seemed like he was there for a paycheck, which is truly a waste of his talents.

7. The female leads, while incredibly easy on the eyes, were totally forgettable. I'm not blaming the actresses for this one at all. Their performances strike at the very heart of an empty script. The only memorable thing about Jinx was her inability to remember if she was faking an Asian, Mexican, or English accent.

8. Jonathan Pryce. I will never understand how a quality actor, like Jon, got mixed up in this grab-bag. He's fantastic, & while this film is certainly nowhere near the quality of 'Brazil' or 'Tomorrow Never Dies', he still manages to squeeze some fun out of this schlock.

9. The plot. Now, I've already mentioned that picking apart a franchise like G.I. Joe for outlandish plots is a fool's errand, but this film had some plot holes so huge, Dora couldn't explore them. The G.I. Joe team used to consist of more than 5 people, even if you account for the troops slaughtered in the beginning. What happened to that big base, staffed with hundreds, in the Sahara? Dennis Quaid? Marlon Wayans? Baroness? wtf? After Cobra Commander leaves Destro on ice, he just waltzes in and assumes control of his whole company, & everyone is fine with it. Huh? Cobra can just launch 7 SDI satellites undetected without anyone noticing? Does anyone believe that a sword through the chest would do anything to a human infested with nanotech, other than cause some brief discomfort? How did the rec center computer screens change from some beat up CRTs to state of the art hacker powerhouse CPUs with flatscreens? Does anybody care that London was just obliterated? These are the sorts of novice problems that serve only to distract the audience, and foment massive amounts of confusion.

Please don't make a third.
  21. Apr 2, 2013
    Normally, I'd start with a plot summary, but this thing was confusing. I had no idea who the bad guys were, except for the president's doppelganger with his plan to rule the world. It doesn't matter anyway because a flick like this is strictly for the action and gadgets (some of which were neat). There's lots of fighting, but most of it is lazy: blurry camera, jerky editing and pumpedNormally, I'd start with a plot summary, but this thing was confusing. I had no idea who the bad guys were, except for the president's doppelganger with his plan to rule the world. It doesn't matter anyway because a flick like this is strictly for the action and gadgets (some of which were neat). There's lots of fighting, but most of it is lazy: blurry camera, jerky editing and pumped noise. You can't really tell who's hitting what. There is one cool sequence on a mountainside, but the rest is just a jumbled, unexciting mess. Expand
  22. Apr 17, 2013
    Mixing together wuxia levitation and marine bravado, G.I. Joe: Retaliation is incessantly loud, gleefully ridiculous and completely deprived of focus in its story. It has action sequences peppered in rapid shady construct to instill tension, but ultimately falls short to save the big picture. The impact of any carnage supposedly to enthrall audience is lost merely minutes after itMixing together wuxia levitation and marine bravado, G.I. Joe: Retaliation is incessantly loud, gleefully ridiculous and completely deprived of focus in its story. It has action sequences peppered in rapid shady construct to instill tension, but ultimately falls short to save the big picture. The impact of any carnage supposedly to enthrall audience is lost merely minutes after it happened, as if the movie just wants to push the next big action scene in which there are abundance of mandatory loud explosions, bullet showers and plus a legitimate reason for blade battles.

Story is muddled past the half hour mark, it tries to show different plots of many characters almost at the same time. This could've been good, but the result is a heavy-handed storytelling as many scenes are excessively hurried to catch up with the others. Not to mention, a few instances where convenient plot devices are stringed together in hope to accomplish some sort of consistency. Approaching the end, it flutters into noisy, once again, multiple complicated brazen action scenes with many loose ends simply swept under the rug. Audience would probably not care much for characters aside from their slow-mo cinematic walk.

Many stars grace the movie, although majority of the burden falls on Dwayne Johnson. He's quite the marine type and frankly has star quality, which sadly undermined by the hammy script or forced scenes. His bits in WWE is much more compelling and interesting that his theatrical role here. Channing Tatum and Bruce Willis make appearances, although not that much or fascinating in that matter. A couple of eye candies and Asian swordsmen give more eclectic vibe, though sometimes they do feel unnaturally thrown together only for that very purpose.

Fortunately, the action itself is enjoyable enough. Fights are splendidly done, they are overblown but melee has controlled pace, if not too much slow-mo boom. I personally like the addition of parkour to shooting, which makes it more fluid and relies less on random barrage. Plenty of carnage in scenery as well, even if there's little to none time to dwell on the impact, similar to the level of catastrophic movie. Its choreograph might not be the best, but it could certainly delight action film fans.

There's little substance to plot, never expected it anyway. It ambitiously gives audience too many plots it could convey. Action is arguably very video game inspired, and while it's not without merit, it does not save the movie entirely. G.I. Joe: Retaliation is a very crass, clamorous and too comical for its own good.
  23. Mar 29, 2013
    Its definetly a bigger step from Rise of Cobra, however Retaliation has an are-we-there-yet effect on its non stop action scenes and has plot shifts that are strange especially because of what happens to Duke at the beginning.
  24. Apr 4, 2013
    This movie is a joke! The story is messed up, there is no character development, the graphics are somewhat outdated and the jokes are forced and are corny. One of the most-hyped movies that turned out to be garabage. I gave it a 2 because I'm generous today. If you love GI Joe as a child and want to preserve your childhood, be warned. This movie is a nightmare. Beware!
  25. Apr 11, 2013
    Anyone expecting a well-written story when watching an action movie where the money was invested into explosions and stunts is coming into this with lofty expectations. You watch these movies for the thrill, the occasional jokes among pals, and the huge fight scenes. On the metrics that really matter when evaluating an action movie, Retaliation does not disappoint. It's a worthy sequelAnyone expecting a well-written story when watching an action movie where the money was invested into explosions and stunts is coming into this with lofty expectations. You watch these movies for the thrill, the occasional jokes among pals, and the huge fight scenes. On the metrics that really matter when evaluating an action movie, Retaliation does not disappoint. It's a worthy sequel and don't let anyone tell you the movie's not worth your time. Remember, ACTION MOVIE. You're watching it for the action. Expand
  26. Apr 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I saw this movie yesterday. I was looking forward to it having enjoyed Rise of Cobra. But I didn't. The one thing that killed this movie for me, was the death of Duke. This wouldn't have been so bad if he wasn't the main character of the FIRST movie! I kept telling myself, he'll come back, he'll still be alive, he'll make a comeback. But it was not to be. the fact they tried to make me relate to characters that I didn't know is incredulous. The exclusion of Ripcord and loads of other people from Rise, and the lack of the technology also seen in Rise, it just killed it. I would've liked to have seen the Baroness come back as well, as a good guy, but nooo. I got all hyped up for this film and it let me down. Badly. Don't bother buying tickets for it, don't buy the DVD. Rise of Cobra is just better, even if it too wasn't the best movie in the world.

I admit, there were good bits, but there were too many bad bits. So many cons, that I cannot begin to describe them all.

I would've been better off watching The Croods.
  27. Aug 17, 2013
    You seriously have to be a 5 year old or an idiot to like this movie. It's got some STUPID actors and actresses, terrible graphics, and a plot line straight from a 3 year old's mouth. Just a cash grab where they didn't even TRY to make a decent movie.
  28. Aug 15, 2013
    La primera película fue un completo desastre, y la segunda parte trae dos actores que son para este tipo de películas: The Rock Johnson y Bruce Willis. Esto la hizo un poco mas entretenida, pero tiene un guión pobre y un humor sutil y poco divertido. Buenas escenas de acción, por eso el 6.
  29. Apr 8, 2013
    The movie is fun, but, surprisingly, I was confused at times not knowing the mythology of the G.I. Joe series. Couldn't figure out who the "good guys" were at all times. The film could have been tighter.
  30. Mar 31, 2013
    While I understand why they postponed release of this film for a year, they clearly needed more time. How can you have that much money to make a film and have that bad of a script and that dialogue that is so embarrassing one cannot stop laughing at it. Amazing special effects and tech stuff, really great. Stupid insipid story. Well photographed action and corny and uncomfortable nonWhile I understand why they postponed release of this film for a year, they clearly needed more time. How can you have that much money to make a film and have that bad of a script and that dialogue that is so embarrassing one cannot stop laughing at it. Amazing special effects and tech stuff, really great. Stupid insipid story. Well photographed action and corny and uncomfortable non action. The action is good enough to make it interesting, but just barely. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Louis Black
    Apr 3, 2013
    There actually is some clever dialogue in the film, especially early on between Roadblock and Duke (Tatum). But this fades over the course of the film, and too much of what the characters say sounds as though it’s been lifted verbatim from 1930s and 1940s serials.
  2. Reviewed by: Steve Persall
    Apr 3, 2013
    This movie never realizes how ridiculous anything it does truly is, right up to the last-second promise of another sequel.
  3. Reviewed by: Richard Corliss
    Apr 1, 2013
    An action figure with a sweet core, Johnson can pump up the humanity of any franchise, whether he’s playing a stepdad who becomes a hero in Journey 2 or, as here, a stud soldier who treats Flint and Jaye like his grown children and shepherds them through peril. Following those younger Joes, the Retaliation audience is encouraged to clamber up on Johnson’s huge soldiers and go along for a pretty cool ride.