5.4

1. Jan 19, 2014
    This is way better than the first. The Action, Story, and Cast all better! Now maybe I liked allot cause I am comparing it to the last, but this was fun to watch.My only issue was the attempt at comedy in the beginning. I just wish they stopped trying to throw pointless jokes in, but overall it was fun to watch. I really don`t get why it has such a low rating.
  2. Jan 17, 2014
    G.I. Joe: Retaliation is bad but not terrible. Good crowd scenes and special effects, fights and explosions. He places an exciting but very stupid. The story and the script is very bad, almost none of the actors were not the first film.
  3. Jan 11, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. where do I begin. well first of all duke dying from a car explosion at the beginning, what were they doing killing of the main character right away???. second I was hoping that whole plot twist of the first one would be better, but the f###king guy was storm shadows old master, WTF???. third WTF storm shadow you cant help you enemy and just walk away and betray cobra command. fourth why did the cobra commander fly away at the end, what a b###H. this move deserves a negative rating, I hope this is the last G.I joe movie for a long time. fifth why was this movie delayed and in 3d Expand
  4. Jan 5, 2014
    G.I. Joe: Retaliation is a brainless exercise of fun and exciting action sequences but is held too loosely by its narrative and underdeveloped characters.
  5. Oct 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It was never going to be a masterpiece but even so its still boring and disappointing, especially as they kill off the most interesting character in my opinion. (Mouse, Joseph Mazzello) The franchise was in trouble when they can't get the original cast back. A shame because the Rock seems like a nice bloke but he keeps making terrible films. Expand
  6. Sep 30, 2013
    I saw this movie at my friends house and i got so bored that i turned of the TV and we did something else. I didn't see the whole movie but i saw enough to know that it was one of the worst movies of the year. if you are a fan of action movies and you watch this film you will be really disappointed.
  7. Sep 27, 2013
    It won't go down history or win awards any time soon, but the second outing for the revitalised GI Joes certainly roars onto the screen in explosive fashion, it's ridiculous, full of big dumb ideas and indestructible characters, but it's dumb in an entertaining way, it has big ideas and doesn't try too hard to be overly serious, what more could be asked for? The film kicks off on kind of familiar territory but with a few strange faces, we still have Duke (Channing Tatum), but he has a new team, the most notable being Roadblock, played by the ever bulking Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, but their flawless missions and impeccable record doesn't last long as something unforeseen is about to tear the Joes apart. The most notable return besides Duke is that of Snake Eyes (Ray Park), who is involved in some of the most impressive sequences of the film, particularly of course with his arch-rival Storm Shadow Byung-Hun Lee), and a particular mountainside battle comes to mind, heavy on CGI, but even better on shameless fun, which is really what the film consists of entirely. We have a President (Jonathan Pryce) who isn't actually the President, he's got an imposter on his hands, but the film loses its entertainment when it tries to hype up some sort of depth, it doesn't work when it has booming and intense music playing behind it. Johnson does a solid job carrying the film, while Adrianne Palicki is really here as eye candy, a few decent scenes of interest, but little else. Simply put, this is a film with excess amounts of action, explosions but also a nice touch of humour, with the Zombieland team behind the script. It's easy on the eyes and thoughts of course, but it definitely fits better than the first outing, nobody was expecting a masterpiece, and those who were will be disappointed, but a sturdy film that knows its place and is just out to enjoy itself is on the right path, it's got plenty of action, barely even stopping for a breath, but it has excellent scope for its set pieces and executes these with ease, it may find familiar in a Transformer universe, but Joe doesn't try to be something it isn't.With an ensemble cast, including Joe himself, Bruce Willis, it's hard to hate the film, it's not bad, it's not good, it's just inconsistent, overblown but sheer fun. Director Jon M. Chu does a fine job combining sequences that are poetry in fast and slow-paced motion. Predictable but entertaining with an easy smile on the face. Expand
  8. Sep 7, 2013
    G.I. Joe Retaliation featuring Dwayne Johnson, Channing Tatum, and Bruce Willis, is the third movie of the series, and the most hyped about. After seeing the trailer a year before it came out, I thought that they did this because the film was not as good as the crew thought, and Paramount still wanted to make their money. Turns out, Paramount just wanted their money. Director, Jon M. Chu really made some big mistakes. Read the full review to learn why. Retaliation begins with the infiltration of a North Korean base. I wasn't really sure what the outcome was because out of nowhere the G.I. Joe movie intro begins.

It seemed to me that they spent more time on the intro then the actual movie. Roadblock (Dwayne Johnson) and Duke (Channing Tatum) are great friends in the film as shown by their friendly bets on their shooting accuracy, and Call of Duty matches. Within the first ten minutes of the film, Duke is killed by an enemy chopper that just completely wipes out their base while Roadblock, Jaye, (Adrianne Palicki) and Flint, (D.J. Cotrona) are underwater in a small tunnel. They escape and try to figure out what is going on, when we learn that Zartan (Arnold Vosloo) is in the presidents disguise while the real president (Jonathan Pryce) is captured, and Snake Eyes (Ray Park) has been captured and imprisoned by Warden James. (Walton Goggins)

What I noticed about Retaliation is that about half of the movie is just fight scenes which though it is entertaining, it is just filler. The three Joes meet with General Joe Colton (Bruce Willis) at his house, whose entire first floor has trapdoors to weapons. It started to get excessive after the fifth drawer was opened containing more grenades. Again, their goes two more minutes of the film. My favorite part of the movie is when Zartan, (still disguised as the president) is meeting with all the world’s leaders telling them to give up their nuclear weapons. As they continue to call him crazy, he releases America’s nukes at all of the countries in the room. As the leaders fight back, they all have given up their weapons and are now in a nuclear free world like Zartan wished. Then he released one missile from his master weapon called Zeus, and wipes out most of London. As there is a short time before the rest of the weapon is deployed, Roadblock is the only one that can stop it.

I will not reveal the ending but the movie was so predictable, a nine year old could have figured it out. While watching the movie, I wrote down a few of the things that really bugged me. The gunshots to start off. They looked like a crappy low budget film effect, and I can say that a $130 million dollar budget is not even close to low. I even recognized that in one of the fight scenes, the there was no sound effect when a kick to the face was thrown. One of our main characters Duke was killed within the first ten minutes which I mentioned earlier. I thought this was a big mistake because if the crew knew he was going to die this early in the film, they shouldn't have taken the precious movie length and added the pointless times in which they were together playing Call of Duty and having bets on babysitting each others kids. When I say precious run time, I am talking about the film being exactly 90 minutes. To compare, in this franchise, Rise of the Cobra was 118 min and directed by Stephen Sommers.

I'm not sure if director Chu went into the film with a great idea and then realized that the idea only lasted half an hour on screen or what but they really messed up Retaliation. When I talked about spending most of their money on advertising, they started playing the trailer in theaters over a year before it came out and it really paid off. Retaliation made $371 Million. This obviously tells me Paramount got what they wanted and Chu knows what he's doing.

Though the movie made an outrageous amount of money, It wasn't worth the $13 dollars a ticket or even half that. G.I. Joe Retaliation was so short it had me out in time for lunch and I will not be recommending it to anyone. I think the franchise again gets a new director and maybe puts some thought into the film, instead of whipping the cameras out and realizing at best, they can call it is a short film. When this happened, they added the useless fillers so they could actually call it a movie. As this is my biggest review so far, I hope you can tell I put a lot of thought into it and that my score reflects that.
  9. Aug 22, 2013
    A fun little action movie that manages to build up, and surpass, its predecessor. It all just feels more focused this time around, and Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson nails it and manages to be the very best part of this movie. It's action packed and still has some humorous moments thrown in. It's got explosion filled shoot outs, cheesy one-liners, and epic ninja battles that take place on the side of mountains, so you're never bored while watching this. It's still got some issues like a throw-away story, but the biggest flaw it has is that it's just not as good as some of its competition. Some more recent action movies have blown this one out of the water. That's not to say "Retaliation" is bad, it's still a very fun time, but it has got some serious competition out there. Still if you liked the first "G.I. Joe", or just action movies in general, "Retaliation manages to be a fun watch. Expand
  10. Aug 20, 2013
    Retaliation is a huge improvement over the god awful Rise of Cobra. I like how they ditched the stupid sci-fi plot used in the first film for a more realistic, action based one. The action itself however is disappointing because it's not as in-your-face as I hoped it would be, Instead it's all far away so you never really get a good look at it. The acting is fine though, The addition of The Rock (Dwayne Johnson) and Bruce Willis do wonders for the film. Jonathan Price (the US president) was pretty good as well.

The plot itself is really straight forward and generic. The dialogue is incredibly predictable and laughable, Easily the worst part of the film. The run time, 2 hours long, was just too long in my opinion and I felt that the film really could have benefited by having a shorter run time.

Overall though, Anything is a step up from Rise of Cobra and the best thing I can say about Retaliation is that it's actually watchable. It may not be the best movie and I can't say that I'd really recommend it but if you are curious about it, I'd say at least give it a shot because you may like it.
  11. Aug 18, 2013
    The rotation of characters were surprising and slightly disappointing. I didn't enjoy the first movie, and so goes this sequel. The G.I. Joe series just isn't getting it right.
  12. Aug 17, 2013
    You seriously have to be a 5 year old or an idiot to like this movie. It's got some STUPID actors and actresses, terrible graphics, and a plot line straight from a 3 year old's mouth. Just a cash grab where they didn't even TRY to make a decent movie.
  13. Aug 15, 2013
    La primera película fue un completo desastre, y la segunda parte trae dos actores que son para este tipo de películas: The Rock Johnson y Bruce Willis. Esto la hizo un poco mas entretenida, pero tiene un guión pobre y un humor sutil y poco divertido. Buenas escenas de acción, por eso el 6.
  14. Aug 3, 2013
    I would give this movie a solid "meh" review. I pretty much completely forgot it after I watched it. The biggest problem with this one was little tie in with the first movie, as well as only have a few actual focused GI Joe characters and pretty much a bunch of expendibles. The movie seemed to rush the plot, and was just rife with inaccuracies. I wouldn't even rate it eye candy, it was meh.
  15. Aug 1, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I hated that they killed off Channing Tatum!! One of the main characters right in the beginning it made the movie awful!! If they were going to kill him off they needed to do it at the end not at the very beginning! Expand
  16. Jul 22, 2013
    Esta pelicula no me gusto para nada, no le vi tanta emocion, ni mucha accion.A G.I. joe: Retaliation la veo mas una pelicula de accion para niños que para todo el publico.
  17. Jul 16, 2013
    My Opinion *

I've never seen a G.I. Joe, however watching this really gave me a buzz. Sure I understand that some people think that this film isn't that great, nor as great as it could should have been, however I really appreciated this movie and everything within it. The fight scenes really got my heart racing, and some of the effects and stunts were just fantastic! I give this an 8.
    It's great, but it's not perfect. Sure it's just another action movie, but mixing action along with martial arts is a rarity. I really recommend this. Expand
  18. Jul 11, 2013
    Smarter than the first film sure but Retaliation is full of cheesy, cliche', predictable sequences with over-the-top corny characters and a plot that becomes more convoluted the deeper you go. What makes it worse is that instead of knowing that its all of these things and not taking itself too seriously, it does the opposite it tries to be a highly serious action flick with comedic moments filled with supposedly what it thinks are brilliant action sequences but ultimately becomes a choppy, dull film with overused action sequences reminiscent (but not as well choreographed) as mediocre films such as the Transformers saga or Battleship. Its high point? The girls in the this movie: absolutely smoking hot. There some cool action scenes but overall, the movie itself suffers from so many elements that just basically destroys itself like a black hole. G.I. Retaliation is an example of what could've been a decent action flick let down by a horrible director (this is a guy with a lacking filmography with his last film being the Justin Bieber movie. Yes, I am totally serious), overuse of mediocre CG action sequences, some of the worst A grade movie action sequences Ive seen in a long time and shallow/2-dimensional cheesy characters. I feel like retaliation myself against this movie for taking away 2 hours of my life. Expand
  19. Jul 6, 2013
    It's better than Rise of the Cobra, but that's not saying much. I did enjoy The Rock in this movie and some of the stuff with Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow were cool, but still bad dialogue and some dumb scenes in this film makes it not worth your time.
  20. Jun 4, 2013
    "While it does leave a bittersweet taste in your mouth when your leaving the theater. This "sequel" is more of a reboot than anything. Introducing some new characters along the way. John M. Cho attempt at remaking the beloved GI Joe series was accomplished" B-
  21. May 28, 2013
    After the last one, I thought I was going to get the same thing, and since this was directed by the director of the Step Up movies, I thought it was going to be even worse than the last one. I was HUGELY mistaken! This sequel/reboot is exactly what G.I. Joe is: stupid fun! Jon M. Chu definitely shows he's a huge fan of G.I. Joe and he should be praised for this!
  22. May 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. G.I. Joe Retaliation is an huge action rollercoaster ride but it could've been a little more longer. It's a great big huge start for the franchise better than the last one. Expand
  23. May 6, 2013
    The film is okay.The action scenes are really good and the Rock is pretty good,but the story is a not that strong.If you want to see a lot of action I guess you should see this film.
  24. May 3, 2013
    I t was really a nice movie though,i was not expecting Channing Tatum to be out from the movie so early which makes the interest of the movie to be dull but all the same a quick one from Dwayne Jones?
  25. May 3, 2013
    G.I. Joe: Retaliation is a no-brainer of a movie. If a supernatural force beyond understanding urged you to like "The Rise of Cobra", then it is likely that you will enjoy the sequel just as much. Bless you. However, if you hated the 2009 film at least half as much as I did, then you should be smart enough to avoid its 2013 follow-up. Besides, I'm pretty sure that you've long decided on whether you'll see this or not since it's already been out for almost three weeks.

Sigh. I shouldn't be writing this review. It's almost 1 in the morning and I have to be at work in a few hours. (Damn it! I have to be at work in a few hours!) So what gives? You see, movies that are as preposterous as "G.I. Joe: Retaliation" are the most fun to review. And, dear reader, when a movie like this is released, I cannot resist. Roger Ebert specialized in reviewing movies that are dumb beyond belief. I write this in further dedication to his spectacular life.

For the 15th time, Channing Tatum reprises his role as Channing Tatum. He isn't around for long through as he is quickly replaced by Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson as the film's lead hero. The Rock (The Tooth Fairy) makes a better action star than Channing Tatum, which doesn't really say much for The Rock, since Justin Timberlake and even Jay Leno would also make a better action star than Tatum. With over 20 movies in his resume, Tatum's career highlight so far is playing a stripper in "Magic Mike". Is it about time for the 32-year-old non-actor to take a long, honest look at himself?

Read more here: http://localmoviereview.com/gi-joe-retaliation/
  26. May 2, 2013
    "G.I. Joe Retaliation" is a big dumb action movie, but that is not a bad thing because it is an entertaining big dumb action move. The spectacle of the action scenes is amazing and the actors do their job well.
  27. Apr 29, 2013
    Yeah, the strongest most elite army in the world gets wiped out with 6 granades.
    A movie so badly written, that the only thing enjoyable are the explotions ,because even the Ninja characters, do everything....except act like Ninjas.
  28. Apr 28, 2013
    I'm sorry but being someone who watched the cartoon series and the animated movie as a child, this movie just pissed on all of my childhood. Duke is the main character of the cartoon and is the best known and this movie shows three scenes with him and kill him off right at the beginning of the movie. This movie had little to no story and outside of one great action scene with Snake Eyes and Jinx the rest of it was a bore. I felt dumber after watching this thing. Expand
  29. Apr 26, 2013
    A sequel to Steven Sommers GI Joe: The Rise of Cobra is not going to be the best film of 2013 but its gotta be better that the original right? Right, but not by much. Following the events of the first film, Zartan, a master of disguise has taken the place of the president. With this power he attempts to wipe out the Joe's including Duke (Channing Tatum), Roadblock (Dwayne Johnson), Lady Jaye (Adrianne Palicki), Snake Eyes (Ray Park) and Flint (DJ Cotrona). Right off the bat GI Joe Retaliation is a vast improvement over the previous entry if only because the action looks good and isn't shrouded in darkness, the action is clear and easy to watch and at times visually stunning (you'll know the moment) and inventive. The new Joe team is a much more relate able bunch making for a much more interesting film. The reduced numbers of heroes and villains helps simplify matters making for a rather simple film, at least in terms of story. Dwayne Johnson's addition seems to be the 'franchise Viagra' empire magazine states he is as he adds a sense of character to a franchise seemingly devoid of any. He is a charming lead and the role of Roadblock suits him. All this being said the film gets tiresome towards the end and becomes quite dull which is never a good thing for an action film in particular. The action is over the tip but not in a bad way, its the story and characters that become ridiculous with the finale being a monument to over the top nature of the original series. Johnathon Pryce seems to be enjoying himself as the villainous Zartan but his performance is about as camp as it can be. The film tries to inject some comedy into the proceedings to lighten the franchise, especially considering the dark nature of the first film but most of it fails to land which is unfortunate because it ruins the buddy movie feel. Overall the film is a mindless action film that embraces the bizarre nature of its source material that doesn't quite achieve what its going for despite the improvements it has made on Rise of Cobra Expand
  30. Apr 26, 2013
    I was PISSED when I heard the actors from the last GI joe where not in the movie but I really enjoyed the movie.

The rock is my man an always excels at making an action movie something to enjoy!. Far off from a great story the only real thing that makes this movie is the Rock and its action packed fights.

1. Reviewed by: Louis Black
    Apr 3, 2013
    There actually is some clever dialogue in the film, especially early on between Roadblock and Duke (Tatum). But this fades over the course of the film, and too much of what the characters say sounds as though it’s been lifted verbatim from 1930s and 1940s serials.
  2. Reviewed by: Steve Persall
    Apr 3, 2013
    This movie never realizes how ridiculous anything it does truly is, right up to the last-second promise of another sequel.
  3. Reviewed by: Richard Corliss
    Apr 1, 2013
    An action figure with a sweet core, Johnson can pump up the humanity of any franchise, whether he’s playing a stepdad who becomes a hero in Journey 2 or, as here, a stud soldier who treats Flint and Jaye like his grown children and shepherds them through peril. Following those younger Joes, the Retaliation audience is encouraged to clamber up on Johnson’s huge soldiers and go along for a pretty cool ride.