5.3

1. Nov 13, 2014
    "G.I. Joe: Retaliation" 10 Scale Rating: 3.0 (Awful) ...

The Good: Like with the first film, Storm Shadow was crazy awesome. For all the liberties they took with characters and how far off they all are, they absolutely nailed Storm Shadow. Snake Eyes was also well done, though a silent character is much easier to pull off. The Bad: Poor action sequences for a film geared towards it.
    "G.I. Joe: Retaliation" 10 Scale Rating: 3.0 (Awful) ...

The Bad: Poor action sequences for a film geared towards it. Horrible dialogue and cheesy lines that made me cringe more times than I can remember. Cobra Commander was poorly done and Firefly was awful. One of the worst plots I have seen for a film from this genre and even the worst episodes of the dated cartoon series did a better job.
  2. Nov 10, 2014
    G.I. Joe: Retaliation is a brainless exercise of fun and exciting action sequences but is held too loosely by its slim narrative and underdeveloped characters.
  3. Aug 14, 2014
    G.I Joe: Retaliation is no masterpiece, but I still found it to be silly, brain-dead fun. And it was certainly far, far better than the stinky first G.I Joe outing.
  4. May 25, 2014
    G.I. Joe: Retaliation is the sequel to the 2008 film G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra i thought that this film should have just been a reboot rather then a sequel. The Film stars Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson getting his team together to help fight against the cobra. The cobra have taken control of the white house the president that's really not the president has ordered that the G.I. Joe's to beG.I. Joe: Retaliation is the sequel to the 2008 film G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra i thought that this film should have just been a reboot rather then a sequel. The Film stars Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson getting his team together to help fight against the cobra. The cobra have taken control of the white house the president that's really not the president has ordered that the G.I. Joe's to be killed.

The story slows down like half way in to build some story but it just seems all over the place. Roadblock is over here doing this Snake Eyes is over here doing **** with Storm Shadow which i thought they killed off in the first film yes it's been years since i watched the first one i can't really remember.

The movie was postponed like 9 months for what they said was 3D conversion and to re-shoot some scenes of it after early reviews for it were bad. Also to add Channing Tatum back in the movie as a main character and market the film that way only to have him be killed off rather soon in the film. They do try force some of the story arcs in the film but then they put a lot of explosions in it to throw you off

Also im not sure why Bruce Willis was even in this i assume they just wanted some big name action star to kick some ass as General Joe Colton not that he didn't do a great job but i mean come on it was rather pointless Overall i give it a 5.5 maybe ill re-watch a couple times.
  5. May 3, 2014
    Throwing away almost everthing from the first movie without giving it room to grow, this sequel is more of a reset, leaving the Joes no memory of what their mission is.
  6. Jan 19, 2014
    This is way better than the first. The Action, Story, and Cast all better! Now maybe I liked allot cause I am comparing it to the last, but this was fun to watch.My only issue was the attempt at comedy in the beginning. I just wish they stopped trying to throw pointless jokes in, but overall it was fun to watch. I really don`t get why it has such a low rating.
  7. Jan 17, 2014
    G.I. Joe: Retaliation is bad but not terrible. Good crowd scenes and special effects, fights and explosions. He places an exciting but very stupid. The story and the script is very bad, almost none of the actors were not the first film.
  8. Jan 11, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. where do I begin. well first of all duke dying from a car explosion at the beginning, what were they doing killing of the main character right away???. second I was hoping that whole plot twist of the first one would be better, but the f###king guy was storm shadows old master, WTF???. third WTF storm shadow you cant help you enemy and just walk away and betray cobra command. fourth why did the cobra commander fly away at the end, what a b###H. this move deserves a negative rating, I hope this is the last G.I joe movie for a long time. fifth why was this movie delayed and in 3d Expand
  9. Jan 5, 2014
    G.I. Joe: Retaliation is a brainless exercise of fun and exciting action sequences but is held too loosely by its narrative and underdeveloped characters.
  10. Oct 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It was never going to be a masterpiece but even so its still boring and disappointing, especially as they kill off the most interesting character in my opinion. (Mouse, Joseph Mazzello) The franchise was in trouble when they can't get the original cast back. A shame because the Rock seems like a nice bloke but he keeps making terrible films. Expand
  11. Sep 30, 2013
    I saw this movie at my friends house and i got so bored that i turned of the TV and we did something else. I didn't see the whole movie but i saw enough to know that it was one of the worst movies of the year. if you are a fan of action movies and you watch this film you will be really disappointed.
  12. Sep 27, 2013
    It won't go down history or win awards any time soon, but the second outing for the revitalised GI Joes certainly roars onto the screen in explosive fashion, it's ridiculous, full of big dumb ideas and indestructible characters, but it's dumb in an entertaining way, it has big ideas and doesn't try too hard to be overly serious, what more could be asked for? The film kicks off on kind ofIt won't go down history or win awards any time soon, but the second outing for the revitalised GI Joes certainly roars onto the screen in explosive fashion, it's ridiculous, full of big dumb ideas and indestructible characters, but it's dumb in an entertaining way, it has big ideas and doesn't try too hard to be overly serious, what more could be asked for? The film kicks off on kind of familiar territory but with a few strange faces, we still have Duke (Channing Tatum), but he has a new team, the most notable being Roadblock, played by the ever bulking Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, but their flawless missions and impeccable record doesn't last long as something unforeseen is about to tear the Joes apart. The most notable return besides Duke is that of Snake Eyes (Ray Park), who is involved in some of the most impressive sequences of the film, particularly of course with his arch-rival Storm Shadow Byung-Hun Lee), and a particular mountainside battle comes to mind, heavy on CGI, but even better on shameless fun, which is really what the film consists of entirely. We have a President (Jonathan Pryce) who isn't actually the President, he's got an imposter on his hands, but the film loses its entertainment when it tries to hype up some sort of depth, it doesn't work when it has booming and intense music playing behind it. Johnson does a solid job carrying the film, while Adrianne Palicki is really here as eye candy, a few decent scenes of interest, but little else. Simply put, this is a film with excess amounts of action, explosions but also a nice touch of humour, with the Zombieland team behind the script. It's easy on the eyes and thoughts of course, but it definitely fits better than the first outing, nobody was expecting a masterpiece, and those who were will be disappointed, but a sturdy film that knows its place and is just out to enjoy itself is on the right path, it's got plenty of action, barely even stopping for a breath, but it has excellent scope for its set pieces and executes these with ease, it may find familiar in a Transformer universe, but Joe doesn't try to be something it isn't.With an ensemble cast, including Joe himself, Bruce Willis, it's hard to hate the film, it's not bad, it's not good, it's just inconsistent, overblown but sheer fun. Director Jon M. Chu does a fine job combining sequences that are poetry in fast and slow-paced motion. Predictable but entertaining with an easy smile on the face. Expand
  13. Sep 7, 2013
    G.I. Joe Retaliation featuring Dwayne Johnson, Channing Tatum, and Bruce Willis, is the third movie of the series, and the most hyped about. After seeing the trailer a year before it came out, I thought that they did this because the film was not as good as the crew thought, and Paramount still wanted to make their money. Turns out, Paramount just wanted their money. Director, Jon M. ChuG.I. Joe Retaliation featuring Dwayne Johnson, Channing Tatum, and Bruce Willis, is the third movie of the series, and the most hyped about. After seeing the trailer a year before it came out, I thought that they did this because the film was not as good as the crew thought, and Paramount still wanted to make their money. Turns out, Paramount just wanted their money. Director, Jon M. Chu really made some big mistakes. Read the full review to learn why. Retaliation begins with the infiltration of a North Korean base. I wasn't really sure what the outcome was because out of nowhere the G.I. Joe movie intro begins.

It seemed to me that they spent more time on the intro then the actual movie. Roadblock (Dwayne Johnson) and Duke (Channing Tatum) are great friends in the film as shown by their friendly bets on their shooting accuracy, and Call of Duty matches. Within the first ten minutes of the film, Duke is killed by an enemy chopper that just completely wipes out their base while Roadblock, Jaye, (Adrianne Palicki) and Flint, (D.J. Cotrona) are underwater in a small tunnel. They escape and try to figure out what is going on, when we learn that Zartan (Arnold Vosloo) is in the presidents disguise while the real president (Jonathan Pryce) is captured, and Snake Eyes (Ray Park) has been captured and imprisoned by Warden James. (Walton Goggins)

What I noticed about Retaliation is that about half of the movie is just fight scenes which though it is entertaining, it is just filler. The three Joes meet with General Joe Colton (Bruce Willis) at his house, whose entire first floor has trapdoors to weapons. It started to get excessive after the fifth drawer was opened containing more grenades. Again, their goes two more minutes of the film. My favorite part of the movie is when Zartan, (still disguised as the president) is meeting with all the world’s leaders telling them to give up their nuclear weapons. As they continue to call him crazy, he releases America’s nukes at all of the countries in the room. As the leaders fight back, they all have given up their weapons and are now in a nuclear free world like Zartan wished. Then he released one missile from his master weapon called Zeus, and wipes out most of London. As there is a short time before the rest of the weapon is deployed, Roadblock is the only one that can stop it.

I will not reveal the ending but the movie was so predictable, a nine year old could have figured it out. While watching the movie, I wrote down a few of the things that really bugged me. The gunshots to start off. They looked like a crappy low budget film effect, and I can say that a $130 million dollar budget is not even close to low. I even recognized that in one of the fight scenes, the there was no sound effect when a kick to the face was thrown. One of our main characters Duke was killed within the first ten minutes which I mentioned earlier. I thought this was a big mistake because if the crew knew he was going to die this early in the film, they shouldn't have taken the precious movie length and added the pointless times in which they were together playing Call of Duty and having bets on babysitting each others kids. When I say precious run time, I am talking about the film being exactly 90 minutes. To compare, in this franchise, Rise of the Cobra was 118 min and directed by Stephen Sommers.

I'm not sure if director Chu went into the film with a great idea and then realized that the idea only lasted half an hour on screen or what but they really messed up Retaliation. When I talked about spending most of their money on advertising, they started playing the trailer in theaters over a year before it came out and it really paid off. Retaliation made $371 Million. This obviously tells me Paramount got what they wanted and Chu knows what he's doing.

Though the movie made an outrageous amount of money, It wasn't worth the $13 dollars a ticket or even half that. G.I. Joe Retaliation was so short it had me out in time for lunch and I will not be recommending it to anyone. I think the franchise again gets a new director and maybe puts some thought into the film, instead of whipping the cameras out and realizing at best, they can call it is a short film. When this happened, they added the useless fillers so they could actually call it a movie. As this is my biggest review so far, I hope you can tell I put a lot of thought into it and that my score reflects that.
  14. Aug 22, 2013
    A fun little action movie that manages to build up, and surpass, its predecessor. It all just feels more focused this time around, and Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson nails it and manages to be the very best part of this movie. It's action packed and still has some humorous moments thrown in. It's got explosion filled shoot outs, cheesy one-liners, and epic ninja battles that take place on theA fun little action movie that manages to build up, and surpass, its predecessor. It all just feels more focused this time around, and Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson nails it and manages to be the very best part of this movie. It's action packed and still has some humorous moments thrown in. It's got explosion filled shoot outs, cheesy one-liners, and epic ninja battles that take place on the side of mountains, so you're never bored while watching this. It's still got some issues like a throw-away story, but the biggest flaw it has is that it's just not as good as some of its competition. Some more recent action movies have blown this one out of the water. That's not to say "Retaliation" is bad, it's still a very fun time, but it has got some serious competition out there. Still if you liked the first "G.I. Joe", or just action movies in general, "Retaliation manages to be a fun watch. Expand
  15. Aug 20, 2013
    Retaliation is a huge improvement over the god awful Rise of Cobra. I like how they ditched the stupid sci-fi plot used in the first film for a more realistic, action based one. The action itself however is disappointing because it's not as in-your-face as I hoped it would be, Instead it's all far away so you never really get a good look at it. The acting is fine though, The addition ofRetaliation is a huge improvement over the god awful Rise of Cobra. I like how they ditched the stupid sci-fi plot used in the first film for a more realistic, action based one. The action itself however is disappointing because it's not as in-your-face as I hoped it would be, Instead it's all far away so you never really get a good look at it. The acting is fine though, The addition of The Rock (Dwayne Johnson) and Bruce Willis do wonders for the film. Jonathan Price (the US president) was pretty good as well.

The plot itself is really straight forward and generic. The dialogue is incredibly predictable and laughable, Easily the worst part of the film. The run time, 2 hours long, was just too long in my opinion and I felt that the film really could have benefited by having a shorter run time.

Overall though, Anything is a step up from Rise of Cobra and the best thing I can say about Retaliation is that it's actually watchable. It may not be the best movie and I can't say that I'd really recommend it but if you are curious about it, I'd say at least give it a shot because you may like it.
  16. Aug 18, 2013
    The rotation of characters were surprising and slightly disappointing. I didn't enjoy the first movie, and so goes this sequel. The G.I. Joe series just isn't getting it right.
  17. Aug 17, 2013
    You seriously have to be a 5 year old or an idiot to like this movie. It's got some STUPID actors and actresses, terrible graphics, and a plot line straight from a 3 year old's mouth. Just a cash grab where they didn't even TRY to make a decent movie.
  18. Aug 15, 2013
    La primera película fue un completo desastre, y la segunda parte trae dos actores que son para este tipo de películas: The Rock Johnson y Bruce Willis. Esto la hizo un poco mas entretenida, pero tiene un guión pobre y un humor sutil y poco divertido. Buenas escenas de acción, por eso el 6.
  19. Aug 3, 2013
    I would give this movie a solid "meh" review. I pretty much completely forgot it after I watched it. The biggest problem with this one was little tie in with the first movie, as well as only have a few actual focused GI Joe characters and pretty much a bunch of expendibles. The movie seemed to rush the plot, and was just rife with inaccuracies. I wouldn't even rate it eye candy, it was meh.
  20. Aug 1, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I hated that they killed off Channing Tatum!! One of the main characters right in the beginning it made the movie awful!! If they were going to kill him off they needed to do it at the end not at the very beginning! Expand
  21. Jul 16, 2013
    My Opinion *

My Opinion *

I've never seen a G.I. Joe, however watching this really gave me a buzz. Sure I understand that some people think that this film isn't that great, nor as great as it could should have been, however I really appreciated this movie and everything within it. The fight scenes really got my heart racing, and some of the effects and stunts were just fantastic! I give this an 8. It's great, but it's not perfect. Sure it's just another action movie, but mixing action along with martial arts is a rarity. I really recommend this.
  22. Jul 11, 2013
    Smarter than the first film sure but Retaliation is full of cheesy, cliche', predictable sequences with over-the-top corny characters and a plot that becomes more convoluted the deeper you go. What makes it worse is that instead of knowing that its all of these things and not taking itself too seriously, it does the opposite it tries to be a highly serious action flick with comedicSmarter than the first film sure but Retaliation is full of cheesy, cliche', predictable sequences with over-the-top corny characters and a plot that becomes more convoluted the deeper you go. What makes it worse is that instead of knowing that its all of these things and not taking itself too seriously, it does the opposite it tries to be a highly serious action flick with comedic moments filled with supposedly what it thinks are brilliant action sequences but ultimately becomes a choppy, dull film with overused action sequences reminiscent (but not as well choreographed) as mediocre films such as the Transformers saga or Battleship. Its high point? The girls in the this movie: absolutely smoking hot. There some cool action scenes but overall, the movie itself suffers from so many elements that just basically destroys itself like a black hole. G.I. Retaliation is an example of what could've been a decent action flick let down by a horrible director (this is a guy with a lacking filmography with his last film being the Justin Bieber movie. Yes, I am totally serious), overuse of mediocre CG action sequences, some of the worst A grade movie action sequences Ive seen in a long time and shallow/2-dimensional cheesy characters. I feel like retaliation myself against this movie for taking away 2 hours of my life. Expand
  23. Jul 6, 2013
    It's better than Rise of the Cobra, but that's not saying much. I did enjoy The Rock in this movie and some of the stuff with Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow were cool, but still bad dialogue and some dumb scenes in this film makes it not worth your time.
  24. Jun 4, 2013
    "While it does leave a bittersweet taste in your mouth when your leaving the theater. This "sequel" is more of a reboot than anything. Introducing some new characters along the way. John M. Cho attempt at remaking the beloved GI Joe series was accomplished" B-
  25. May 28, 2013
    After the last one, I thought I was going to get the same thing, and since this was directed by the director of the Step Up movies, I thought it was going to be even worse than the last one. I was HUGELY mistaken! This sequel/reboot is exactly what G.I. Joe is: stupid fun! Jon M. Chu definitely shows he's a huge fan of G.I. Joe and he should be praised for this!
  26. May 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. G.I. Joe Retaliation is an huge action rollercoaster ride but it could've been a little more longer. It's a great big huge start for the franchise better than the last one. Expand
  27. May 6, 2013
    The film is okay.The action scenes are really good and the Rock is pretty good,but the story is a not that strong.If you want to see a lot of action I guess you should see this film.
  28. May 3, 2013
    I t was really a nice movie though,i was not expecting Channing Tatum to be out from the movie so early which makes the interest of the movie to be dull but all the same a quick one from Dwayne Jones?
  29. May 3, 2013
    G.I. Joe: Retaliation is a no-brainer of a movie. If a supernatural force beyond understanding urged you to like "The Rise of Cobra", then it is likely that you will enjoy the sequel just as much. Bless you. However, if you hated the 2009 film at least half as much as I did, then you should be smart enough to avoid its 2013 follow-up. Besides, I'm pretty sure that you've long decided onG.I. Joe: Retaliation is a no-brainer of a movie. If a supernatural force beyond understanding urged you to like "The Rise of Cobra", then it is likely that you will enjoy the sequel just as much. Bless you. However, if you hated the 2009 film at least half as much as I did, then you should be smart enough to avoid its 2013 follow-up. Besides, I'm pretty sure that you've long decided on whether you'll see this or not since it's already been out for almost three weeks.

Sigh. I shouldn't be writing this review. It's almost 1 in the morning and I have to be at work in a few hours. (Damn it! I have to be at work in a few hours!) So what gives? You see, movies that are as preposterous as "G.I. Joe: Retaliation" are the most fun to review. And, dear reader, when a movie like this is released, I cannot resist. Roger Ebert specialized in reviewing movies that are dumb beyond belief. I write this in further dedication to his spectacular life.

For the 15th time, Channing Tatum reprises his role as Channing Tatum. He isn't around for long through as he is quickly replaced by Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson as the film's lead hero. The Rock (The Tooth Fairy) makes a better action star than Channing Tatum, which doesn't really say much for The Rock, since Justin Timberlake and even Jay Leno would also make a better action star than Tatum. With over 20 movies in his resume, Tatum's career highlight so far is playing a stripper in "Magic Mike". Is it about time for the 32-year-old non-actor to take a long, honest look at himself?

Read more here: http://localmoviereview.com/gi-joe-retaliation/
  30. May 2, 2013
    "G.I. Joe Retaliation" is a big dumb action movie, but that is not a bad thing because it is an entertaining big dumb action move. The spectacle of the action scenes is amazing and the actors do their job well.
  31. Apr 29, 2013
    Yeah, the strongest most elite army in the world gets wiped out with 6 granades.
    A movie so badly written, that the only thing enjoyable are the explotions ,because even the Ninja characters, do everything....except act like Ninjas.
  32. Apr 28, 2013
    I'm sorry but being someone who watched the cartoon series and the animated movie as a child, this movie just pissed on all of my childhood. Duke is the main character of the cartoon and is the best known and this movie shows three scenes with him and kill him off right at the beginning of the movie. This movie had little to no story and outside of one great action scene with Snake EyesI'm sorry but being someone who watched the cartoon series and the animated movie as a child, this movie just pissed on all of my childhood. Duke is the main character of the cartoon and is the best known and this movie shows three scenes with him and kill him off right at the beginning of the movie. This movie had little to no story and outside of one great action scene with Snake Eyes and Jinx the rest of it was a bore. I felt dumber after watching this thing. Expand
  33. Apr 26, 2013
    A sequel to Steven Sommers GI Joe: The Rise of Cobra is not going to be the best film of 2013 but its gotta be better that the original right? Right, but not by much. Following the events of the first film, Zartan, a master of disguise has taken the place of the president. With this power he attempts to wipe out the Joe's including Duke (Channing Tatum), Roadblock (Dwayne Johnson), LadyA sequel to Steven Sommers GI Joe: The Rise of Cobra is not going to be the best film of 2013 but its gotta be better that the original right? Right, but not by much. Following the events of the first film, Zartan, a master of disguise has taken the place of the president. With this power he attempts to wipe out the Joe's including Duke (Channing Tatum), Roadblock (Dwayne Johnson), Lady Jaye (Adrianne Palicki), Snake Eyes (Ray Park) and Flint (DJ Cotrona). Right off the bat GI Joe Retaliation is a vast improvement over the previous entry if only because the action looks good and isn't shrouded in darkness, the action is clear and easy to watch and at times visually stunning (you'll know the moment) and inventive. The new Joe team is a much more relate able bunch making for a much more interesting film. The reduced numbers of heroes and villains helps simplify matters making for a rather simple film, at least in terms of story. Dwayne Johnson's addition seems to be the 'franchise Viagra' empire magazine states he is as he adds a sense of character to a franchise seemingly devoid of any. He is a charming lead and the role of Roadblock suits him. All this being said the film gets tiresome towards the end and becomes quite dull which is never a good thing for an action film in particular. The action is over the tip but not in a bad way, its the story and characters that become ridiculous with the finale being a monument to over the top nature of the original series. Johnathon Pryce seems to be enjoying himself as the villainous Zartan but his performance is about as camp as it can be. The film tries to inject some comedy into the proceedings to lighten the franchise, especially considering the dark nature of the first film but most of it fails to land which is unfortunate because it ruins the buddy movie feel. Overall the film is a mindless action film that embraces the bizarre nature of its source material that doesn't quite achieve what its going for despite the improvements it has made on Rise of Cobra Expand
  34. Apr 26, 2013
    I was PISSED when I heard the actors from the last GI joe where not in the movie but I really enjoyed the movie.

The rock is my man an always excels at making an action movie something to enjoy!. Far off from a great story the only real thing that makes this movie is the Rock and its action packed fights.
  35. Apr 25, 2013
    Dumb as can be but at least it's pretty good at being that. Better than the Transformers movies as it lacks those 8-year-old humor moments that make you ashamed of existing.
  36. Apr 25, 2013
    GI Joe Retaliation is a fun, loud and generally dumb action movie that only really warrrants being seen once. It sure is entertaining and well worth the price of admission, but it doesn't have much to offer outside of pretty lights and big explosions. Ultimately, it does what it sets out to do and shouldn't be judged at the same level as more intelligent or thought-provoking films. AGI Joe Retaliation is a fun, loud and generally dumb action movie that only really warrrants being seen once. It sure is entertaining and well worth the price of admission, but it doesn't have much to offer outside of pretty lights and big explosions. Ultimately, it does what it sets out to do and shouldn't be judged at the same level as more intelligent or thought-provoking films. A decent time in the cinema. Expand
  37. Apr 23, 2013
    You can read my review of the action heavy sequel "G.I. Joe: Retaliation" here http://geektasticfilmreviews.blogspot.com/2013/04/gi-joe-retaliation.html
  38. Apr 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Essentially what you would expect from the franchise. An action movie that is thick on special effects and action and woefully wanting in character development and plot. Dwayne "the Rock" Johnson appears as the less than memorable "Roadblock" in this installment. He is the "heavy hitter" of the group, relying on big guns and big fists to get the job done. While he does have a few zingers in his dialogue in general he lacks any real screen presence as a character, making him less than memorable. Snake Eyes makes a return, hunting down his Cobra counterpart Storm Shadow, played by Lee Byung-hun who actually turns out to be the star of this film in my opinion. His backstory is memorable, wanting to avenge a wrong that is forced upon him and while he has few lines of dialogue in the movie all of them are delivered with the emotion you would expect from such a troubled character. Meanwhile the rest of the roster is rounded out with even less memorable characters and a cameo appearance by Bruce Willis as Gen. Joesph "GI Joe" Colton.
    There are several very cliched things in the movie that totally detract from any sense of seriousness. It is over the top and obviously not trying to appeal to a mature audience, but directed almost solely at the 6-13 year old demographic. It starts with a "slow-mo" bullet that has a camera and allows the shooter to guide the projectile in a fashion similar to the Nintendo Wii (can we say obvious video game franchise tie-in?), then continues the silliness with a video game competition in which the seasoned Duke is spinning his video game character wildly in circles while trying to determine how to shoot, then later in the film General "Joe" reveals that his house is in fact a disgustingly overstocked arsenal (are we to really believe he keeps live hand grenades in a fruit bowl?). Each of these instances simply left me shaking my head and wishing my 10 year old nephew was there to watch it. Had the movie taken itself a little seriously it still would have been entertaining for kids and not so numbing for the adults who have to endure it.
    The flimsy plot is another weakness as well. It seems everyone forgot that Cobra was involved in the first movie as they are hired by the duplicate President to essentially run security for the nation. Add in a "summit" in which all nuclear nations launch every nuclear weapon they have and then promptly detonate them before impact because the President "dared them to". It all stretches incredulity beyond its breaking point, but again the youngsters won't care.
    In all the movie is essentially a (roughly) 2 hour long sub par action film. Its not anything to get excited about and its reviving a franchise that has been dead too long (nearly 4 years). More memorable titles will quickly push this one to DVD such as Iron Man 3, Man of Steel, and Star Trek: Into Darkness.
  39. Apr 17, 2013
    Mixing together wuxia levitation and marine bravado, G.I. Joe: Retaliation is incessantly loud, gleefully ridiculous and completely deprived of focus in its story. It has action sequences peppered in rapid shady construct to instill tension, but ultimately falls short to save the big picture. The impact of any carnage supposedly to enthrall audience is lost merely minutes after itMixing together wuxia levitation and marine bravado, G.I. Joe: Retaliation is incessantly loud, gleefully ridiculous and completely deprived of focus in its story. It has action sequences peppered in rapid shady construct to instill tension, but ultimately falls short to save the big picture. The impact of any carnage supposedly to enthrall audience is lost merely minutes after it happened, as if the movie just wants to push the next big action scene in which there are abundance of mandatory loud explosions, bullet showers and plus a legitimate reason for blade battles.

Story is muddled past the half hour mark, it tries to show different plots of many characters almost at the same time. This could've been good, but the result is a heavy-handed storytelling as many scenes are excessively hurried to catch up with the others. Not to mention, a few instances where convenient plot devices are stringed together in hope to accomplish some sort of consistency. Approaching the end, it flutters into noisy, once again, multiple complicated brazen action scenes with many loose ends simply swept under the rug. Audience would probably not care much for characters aside from their slow-mo cinematic walk.

Many stars grace the movie, although majority of the burden falls on Dwayne Johnson. He's quite the marine type and frankly has star quality, which sadly undermined by the hammy script or forced scenes. His bits in WWE is much more compelling and interesting that his theatrical role here. Channing Tatum and Bruce Willis make appearances, although not that much or fascinating in that matter. A couple of eye candies and Asian swordsmen give more eclectic vibe, though sometimes they do feel unnaturally thrown together only for that very purpose.

Fortunately, the action itself is enjoyable enough. Fights are splendidly done, they are overblown but melee has controlled pace, if not too much slow-mo boom. I personally like the addition of parkour to shooting, which makes it more fluid and relies less on random barrage. Plenty of carnage in scenery as well, even if there's little to none time to dwell on the impact, similar to the level of catastrophic movie. Its choreograph might not be the best, but it could certainly delight action film fans.

There's little substance to plot, never expected it anyway. It ambitiously gives audience too many plots it could convey. Action is arguably very video game inspired, and while it's not without merit, it does not save the movie entirely. G.I. Joe: Retaliation is a very crass, clamorous and too comical for its own good.
  40. Apr 17, 2013
    Oh my God! This movie was excellent It is action-packed from beginning to the end. I loved the high tech toys and the special effects. I was thrilled the whole timed Dwayne The Rock) is fine as usual. Whoever does not like this movie, don't believe them, please go and judge for yourself. I go to the show to be entertained, and this is what you get from G.I.Joe.
  41. Apr 15, 2013
    This is actually a decent film. Desperately adequate story speckled with some excellent action sequences. The star power factor will keep you interested for most of your time with this movie as it dissolves into action movie overkill.
  42. Apr 14, 2013
    G.I. Joe: Retaliation is exactly what you would expect from it: action. The story line was dry and it was highly predictable. I even found myself guessing what characters were going to say next. It was actually quite pathetic writing. The action sequence on the mountains in the snow was the best action of the movie. Nothing terribly exciting came out of this film. Unless you want to seeG.I. Joe: Retaliation is exactly what you would expect from it: action. The story line was dry and it was highly predictable. I even found myself guessing what characters were going to say next. It was actually quite pathetic writing. The action sequence on the mountains in the snow was the best action of the movie. Nothing terribly exciting came out of this film. Unless you want to see some decent action (which wasn't even that great) don't watch it. Expand
  43. Apr 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I saw this movie yesterday. I was looking forward to it having enjoyed Rise of Cobra. But I didn't. The one thing that killed this movie for me, was the death of Duke. This wouldn't have been so bad if he wasn't the main character of the FIRST movie! I kept telling myself, he'll come back, he'll still be alive, he'll make a comeback. But it was not to be. the fact they tried to make me relate to characters that I didn't know is incredulous. The exclusion of Ripcord and loads of other people from Rise, and the lack of the technology also seen in Rise, it just killed it. I would've liked to have seen the Baroness come back as well, as a good guy, but nooo. I got all hyped up for this film and it let me down. Badly. Don't bother buying tickets for it, don't buy the DVD. Rise of Cobra is just better, even if it too wasn't the best movie in the world.

I admit, there were good bits, but there were too many bad bits. So many cons, that I cannot begin to describe them all.

I would've been better off watching The Croods.
  44. Apr 11, 2013
    Anyone expecting a well-written story when watching an action movie where the money was invested into explosions and stunts is coming into this with lofty expectations. You watch these movies for the thrill, the occasional jokes among pals, and the huge fight scenes. On the metrics that really matter when evaluating an action movie, Retaliation does not disappoint. It's a worthy sequelAnyone expecting a well-written story when watching an action movie where the money was invested into explosions and stunts is coming into this with lofty expectations. You watch these movies for the thrill, the occasional jokes among pals, and the huge fight scenes. On the metrics that really matter when evaluating an action movie, Retaliation does not disappoint. It's a worthy sequel and don't let anyone tell you the movie's not worth your time. Remember, ACTION MOVIE. You're watching it for the action. Expand
  45. Apr 9, 2013
    I realize you have to give lots of allowances for most action films, but damn. Plenty of boom, explosions, robot fireflies that pack the punch of a couple sticks of dynamite, but what kills this movie is the unbelievably insipid dialogue.
    Those of us old enough to recall the glory days of those wretched Hanna/Barbera cartoons, with the horrible animation, minimalist background and dialogue meant for the kiddies will get a memory nudge from this sequel. Imagine "Johnny Quest" but with worse acting.
    Sometimes action films can be a catharsis, some mindless entertainment on an otherwise dull day, but this film left me feeling like a redneck gun nut who acts patriotic until it's time to put up or shut up. As banal as any movie can get.
  46. Apr 9, 2013
    I wouldn't call this movie terrible, but if you compare it to the first one this movie is a masterpiece. This is a much more relatable movie, something closer to reality. The GI Joe base s not an underground fortress with nano suits lying inside or anything. This movie also feel beter thought out, better acting, plot and action.

This movie could have a lot of improvements but it

This movie could have a lot of improvements but it accomplished its mission, which was to surpass the first one. If It was about comparing this to the first one I would give it a 10 but as a stand alone movie it deserves around a 6. Enjoyable but not as good as it could've been, certainly a decent matinee.
  47. Apr 8, 2013
    I'll begin by stating that I am not familiar with the G.I. Joe franchise. However, it doesn't take a G.I. Joe fan to recognize that pretty special effects can't save a film oozing with stale characters and a pathetic script.
  48. Apr 8, 2013
    wasn't sure if it was possible for them to make a worse sequel that the 1st movie where they blow the ice caps and they sink....but turns out i was wrong, pure garbage movie, the action was awful, the acting was awful, they was nothing worth while in this movie.
  49. Apr 8, 2013
    The movie is fun, but, surprisingly, I was confused at times not knowing the mythology of the G.I. Joe series. Couldn't figure out who the "good guys" were at all times. The film could have been tighter.
  50. Apr 7, 2013
    I don't understand. This is obviously not the movie I was expecting. In my childhood, G.I. Joes were action figures that kids loved to play with and when I went to watch this movie, there wasn't a single action figure in it! 2/10 stars.
  51. Apr 7, 2013
    I thought this Joe installment was a bit of a let down. It's a compilation of awesome fight scenes stitched together by a story that could have been created by my 11 year old nephew. Read my full review at the following link:

52. Apr 7, 2013
    A big improvement over the first one. The 3D Was worth it The rock was perfect as Roadblock Lady Jaye was also good ,Flint was ok .Loved Channing Tatum as Duke .Cobra Commander was just Badass although they should showed him more Bruce Willis great to see him as the original joe .Jon Chu has done it right can't wait for G.I.JOE 3
  53. Apr 5, 2013
    G.I. Joe Retaliation is much better than G.I. joe Rise of the Cobra. The action is much better and the Special FX are better to. The story is good, I only can say positive things about this movie.
  54. Apr 4, 2013
    This movie is a joke! The story is messed up, there is no character development, the graphics are somewhat outdated and the jokes are forced and are corny. One of the most-hyped movies that turned out to be garabage. I gave it a 2 because I'm generous today. If you love GI Joe as a child and want to preserve your childhood, be warned. This movie is a nightmare. Beware!
  55. Apr 4, 2013
    The action in GI Joe Retaliation is fantastically over-the-top in all the right ways, but amongst all the carnage the movie rarely finds the time to include anything else other than sword-fighting and gunplay. While some characters are basically ignored to the point that they don't even get an introduction, others are very promising and go through various experiences that would have beenThe action in GI Joe Retaliation is fantastically over-the-top in all the right ways, but amongst all the carnage the movie rarely finds the time to include anything else other than sword-fighting and gunplay. While some characters are basically ignored to the point that they don't even get an introduction, others are very promising and go through various experiences that would have been interesting to watch if the film had actually slowed down to explain and develop these twists properly. Several captivating scenes of awesomeness prevent the movie from becoming dull and monotonous, but more could have been done to raise it from mere bullet-fest to something a little more special. Expand
  56. Apr 3, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie was not the action pack movie I thought it would be, PLUS if a female only came coz Channing Tatum is in it. Guess what guys? HE'S IN IT FOR 15 MINUTES, 15! Really, Really? But it wasn't all that bad, when it wanted to be the action packed adventure, it was. If it wanted to be a thriller, it was. Hell, it even managed to put in a MW3 joke. This game earns it's 7/10 rating nothing more Expand
  57. Apr 3, 2013
    This was a good action flick, which is what it was meant to be. There are some funny moments, but it is dominated by the special effects and action sequences. If you go to the film, go knowing what to expect, if these aren't your kind of movie, don't go to it expecting something else.
  58. Apr 3, 2013
    What you will find in this movie is nothing else but fun. The movie is cool and my inner child loved it and wished it came out when I was 7. It is faithful to the cartoon and to the franchise. Don't expect Dark knight but do give it a try if you are just looking to be entertained.
  59. Apr 2, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. So, I went and saw G.I. Joe Retaliation last night. The cinema should've handed out free gravy, to go with this turkey. Don't get me wrong. I expected precious little from this movie, & was really in the mood for some brain softening violence, & pointless explosions. On that level, it delivered, but much like the first movie, it could've been so much better. Mentioning the preposterous nature of just about everything in the film is kind of a moot point, considering the fanciful nature of the cartoon it was inspired by. So, let's just break this thing down to its bones.

1. Intent. This film serves but one function: Selling a ton of toys for a zillion dollars. We can all thank Hasbro for that, & I don't fault them for it one bit. It's a very honest approach, but it tends to make this movie feel a bit soulless.

2. Channing Tatum. I never thought I'd say it, but the filmmakers killed off his character way too soon. There are reasons for this, but none of them are very good. He was the main character, & although they tried to give him a hero's death, & pass the torch to The Rock, his death creates a huge vacuum in the movie, since his is the most developed character in the whole picture.

3. The Rock. He actually did a decent job, considering what he was working with. Oddly enough, the scenes where he is not acting like a roided out WWE meets USMC hybrid reveal that he is capable of much more depth than this script allows.

4. Cobra Commander. Although no one seemed to have the budget for Joseph Gordon Levitt this time, aesthetic changes were made to his look. This was a positive change. He still sounds wrong. Part of what made Cobra Commander such an endearing character, on the cartoon, was not his seriousness. He was supervillain evil, but also petty, arrogant, whiny, spoiled, and blaming when the situation would eventually go sideways. In this movie, he leaves Destro IN THE FREEZER! Huh? What? You remember Destro? He's the guy supplying all the weapons to COBRA. wtf?

5. The ninjas. Retaliation seems like a patchwork of market research results from Comicon. You know...press the buzzer when you see something you like. Any woman made to watch this film was probably pressing the crud out of that button while Channing Tatum was still alive, while every male was pressing it during ninja fight scenes. Psst...we're also fond of bacon. It's so hot right now. So, absolutely no effort, at all, was put in to sharing with us how Stormshadow survived being ginsu'd up and tossed in to a fusion reactor. He was just back like nothing ever happened. Now, don't get it twisted. I like Byung-hun Le, and he looks really cool doing all this dope ninja stuff. Unfortunately, the writers of this thing really messed up the whole Stormshadow backstory, to the point that we're supposed to believe that Zartan duped him, and RZA's whole ninja order, into a life of evil. You can't even make up incoherent tripe like this.

6. Bruce Willis. I love him, but he really needs to choose better projects, or just call it a day. He comes off as broken in Retaliation, either by age induced apathy or the harsh toll of his Demi Moore court battles. He just seemed like he was there for a paycheck, which is truly a waste of his talents.

7. The female leads, while incredibly easy on the eyes, were totally forgettable. I'm not blaming the actresses for this one at all. Their performances strike at the very heart of an empty script. The only memorable thing about Jinx was her inability to remember if she was faking an Asian, Mexican, or English accent.

8. Jonathan Pryce. I will never understand how a quality actor, like Jon, got mixed up in this grab-bag. He's fantastic, & while this film is certainly nowhere near the quality of 'Brazil' or 'Tomorrow Never Dies', he still manages to squeeze some fun out of this schlock.

9. The plot. Now, I've already mentioned that picking apart a franchise like G.I. Joe for outlandish plots is a fool's errand, but this film had some plot holes so huge, Dora couldn't explore them. The G.I. Joe team used to consist of more than 5 people, even if you account for the troops slaughtered in the beginning. What happened to that big base, staffed with hundreds, in the Sahara? Dennis Quaid? Marlon Wayans? Baroness? wtf? After Cobra Commander leaves Destro on ice, he just waltzes in and assumes control of his whole company, & everyone is fine with it. Huh? Cobra can just launch 7 SDI satellites undetected without anyone noticing? Does anyone believe that a sword through the chest would do anything to a human infested with nanotech, other than cause some brief discomfort? How did the rec center computer screens change from some beat up CRTs to state of the art hacker powerhouse CPUs with flatscreens? Does anybody care that London was just obliterated? These are the sorts of novice problems that serve only to distract the audience, and foment massive amounts of confusion.

Please don't make a third.
  60. Apr 2, 2013
    not as expected, watching this movie in 3-d was the worst experience of 3-d movies i ever watched whole movie seems like a cartoon movie with names sort of roadblock and snake eyes. only the the acrobatic action scene on high icy mountain was something that could be remembered, 'Bruce Willis' and 'Dwayne Johnson' were not utilized to there potential, the script doesn't give them much tonot as expected, watching this movie in 3-d was the worst experience of 3-d movies i ever watched whole movie seems like a cartoon movie with names sort of roadblock and snake eyes. only the the acrobatic action scene on high icy mountain was something that could be remembered, 'Bruce Willis' and 'Dwayne Johnson' were not utilized to there potential, the script doesn't give them much to do. GI JOE was better than average but the franchise this time have made a time wasting movie as the 2nd part of the brand. on aspect of gadgets that GI joe team uses there was none, the villains seem much more equipped. over all the movie is a disappointing venture. i recommend to pass this one. Expand
  61. Apr 2, 2013
    Normally, I'd start with a plot summary, but this thing was confusing. I had no idea who the bad guys were, except for the president's doppelganger with his plan to rule the world. It doesn't matter anyway because a flick like this is strictly for the action and gadgets (some of which were neat). There's lots of fighting, but most of it is lazy: blurry camera, jerky editing and pumpedNormally, I'd start with a plot summary, but this thing was confusing. I had no idea who the bad guys were, except for the president's doppelganger with his plan to rule the world. It doesn't matter anyway because a flick like this is strictly for the action and gadgets (some of which were neat). There's lots of fighting, but most of it is lazy: blurry camera, jerky editing and pumped noise. You can't really tell who's hitting what. There is one cool sequence on a mountainside, but the rest is just a jumbled, unexciting mess. Expand
  62. Apr 1, 2013
    I admit that this movie was definitely better than the first G.I. Joe movie, boy did the first one suck. But this movie doesn't seem to quite reach the positive review that I was hoping for. The movie has it's ups and downs. Sadly, it's mostly downs. As far as downs, the movie struggles as for storytelling and acting. Not all the actors, but some like Jonathan Pryce and D.J. Controna. AsI admit that this movie was definitely better than the first G.I. Joe movie, boy did the first one suck. But this movie doesn't seem to quite reach the positive review that I was hoping for. The movie has it's ups and downs. Sadly, it's mostly downs. As far as downs, the movie struggles as for storytelling and acting. Not all the actors, but some like Jonathan Pryce and D.J. Controna. As far as ups, there's some good martial art fight sequences. But the big part was Bruce Willis' portrayl as Joe Colton. He really steals the show. I enjoyed in this movie. Overall, this movie has its moments, sadly it's great. Expand
  63. Apr 1, 2013
    Most action movies try to retain some degree of plausibility G.I. Joe: Retaliation blows it up with a suborbital laser. If you want to watch this movie you probably already know what you're in for the action is extremely stylised and there is nearly no plot at all. However, the action is done well and the movie is certainly fun. The highlight is the ninja sequence that takes place in theMost action movies try to retain some degree of plausibility G.I. Joe: Retaliation blows it up with a suborbital laser. If you want to watch this movie you probably already know what you're in for the action is extremely stylised and there is nearly no plot at all. However, the action is done well and the movie is certainly fun. The highlight is the ninja sequence that takes place in the mountains; it's pacing is perfect and it's worth seeing the film in 3D just for that part. Expand
  64. Mar 31, 2013
    While I understand why they postponed release of this film for a year, they clearly needed more time. How can you have that much money to make a film and have that bad of a script and that dialogue that is so embarrassing one cannot stop laughing at it. Amazing special effects and tech stuff, really great. Stupid insipid story. Well photographed action and corny and uncomfortable nonWhile I understand why they postponed release of this film for a year, they clearly needed more time. How can you have that much money to make a film and have that bad of a script and that dialogue that is so embarrassing one cannot stop laughing at it. Amazing special effects and tech stuff, really great. Stupid insipid story. Well photographed action and corny and uncomfortable non action. The action is good enough to make it interesting, but just barely. Expand
  65. Mar 31, 2013
    The movie is really cool but at the end is a little boring. Also, Bruce Willis doesnt´look like a real G.I Joe. Well, Dwanye Jonhson isn´t a good actor in any movie EXCEPT this one. Though, I wanted that Snake Eyes show his face at any point in the movie. Still is pretty good.
  66. Mar 31, 2013
    No, GI Joe Retaliation is not more of the same. Its much different. After a major attack that killed most of them, the remaining GI Joes begin to rebuild the team. The white house is taken over and its up to them to save the world. This sequel is bigger than the original, but not necessarily better. I only saw one major flaw in the film, and it was that some characters felt almostNo, GI Joe Retaliation is not more of the same. Its much different. After a major attack that killed most of them, the remaining GI Joes begin to rebuild the team. The white house is taken over and its up to them to save the world. This sequel is bigger than the original, but not necessarily better. I only saw one major flaw in the film, and it was that some characters felt almost unnecessary. Heck, Bruce Willis hardly got as much screen time as they hyped him up for. Still, this film is a glimmer of hope for the future of the franchise. Hopefully the next installment can improve on the little things. Expand
  67. Mar 31, 2013
    Having enjoyed the first movie, I expected to like this one as well, but I overlooked the fact that the director and the writers changed. This movie is a bunch of bloody ridiculous (they're too absurd, even by action movie standards) scenes with very little connection between them and with a load of new characters which aren't properly introduced. The plot, again, is total crap, bothHaving enjoyed the first movie, I expected to like this one as well, but I overlooked the fact that the director and the writers changed. This movie is a bunch of bloody ridiculous (they're too absurd, even by action movie standards) scenes with very little connection between them and with a load of new characters which aren't properly introduced. The plot, again, is total crap, both heroes and villains are damn clowns and action scenes are mostly dull with lots of shaky-cam awkwardness. I wish I didn't spend money on this circus, and I definitely can't recommend anyone to watch this piece of nonsense. (metacritic edited out 10 or so curse words in my review, that's a shame) Expand
  68. Mar 30, 2013
    A solid movie all around with fantastic action sequences, strong acting performances, and pacing that isn't too fast. The story/setup was a little unbelievable but I guess you gotta expect that with this kind of film (come on... those girls wouldn't be in the military). The ending was also very predictable, as expected. Regardless I was fully engaged the entire time and really enjoyed it.A solid movie all around with fantastic action sequences, strong acting performances, and pacing that isn't too fast. The story/setup was a little unbelievable but I guess you gotta expect that with this kind of film (come on... those girls wouldn't be in the military). The ending was also very predictable, as expected. Regardless I was fully engaged the entire time and really enjoyed it. Definitely go and see it. Expand
  69. Mar 29, 2013
    Well. This movie is a ''more of the same'' type movie. Its all very spectacular but with no sense. I saw it in 3D. Thats why I scored it with a 5. The 3D effects are good, but the story is a piece of crap. There are a lot of 'shoot whatever moves' moments. Don't waste your money. I mean it
  70. Mar 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I don't like this version. The actor not good. I don' t know what happens with Duke. The first version was very very very better that this version... Expand
  71. Mar 29, 2013
    Its definetly a bigger step from Rise of Cobra, however Retaliation has an are-we-there-yet effect on its non stop action scenes and has plot shifts that are strange especially because of what happens to Duke at the beginning.
  72. Mar 29, 2013
    A very off line Gi Joe movie, I was very excited for this one and it was good. First of all, there is this guy who is not Duke and is not Channing Tatum and he's still in the movie I mean is there some connection Mr. Chu? But, don't listen to me, this is a great oddball creation and is the best action movie so far in 2013 rather than Dead Man Down, and Retaliation has a boost up upgrade toA very off line Gi Joe movie, I was very excited for this one and it was good. First of all, there is this guy who is not Duke and is not Channing Tatum and he's still in the movie I mean is there some connection Mr. Chu? But, don't listen to me, this is a great oddball creation and is the best action movie so far in 2013 rather than Dead Man Down, and Retaliation has a boost up upgrade to actors, direction, story and screenplay. Rise Of The Cobra was a little disappointing and this sequel has everything- guns, chicks, and- hey! Dwayne Johnson! The film had good pace and timing, it keeps you hooked up till the end. Now, Bruce Willis is in the movie but is he cool in this movie? Duh, he's Bruce Willis and this Muscular Baldie is epic awesome is this movie. So, for the bad critics out there who think that this movie is bad- Watch It Again. I mean, it's a GOOD movie, its what Gi Joe fans want! It just like the cartoons and it has Cobra Menace! Expand
  73. Mar 29, 2013
    A good if not very good action movie. A big improvement over the first. Dialogue was a bit hokey, but forgivable. Well done action sequences. Good, if not great pacing. Funny at times and had a little bit more to it then the previews. Biggest gripe was the previews still showed to much. But that is the nature of modern previews in general. Worth a watch and still a decent enough movie overall.
  74. Mar 29, 2013
    This a Frankly a Step Up from the franchise. I didn't expect the movie to be great. I Was Disappointed. This Movie is Amazing For Action Fans- It's the best action movie of 2013 so far. The Cast is very likable Dwayne The Rock Johnson handles the Character with ease. He good the in the emotional scenes and his 'few' comic scenes with Channing Tatum are a delight. Bruce Willis plays anThis a Frankly a Step Up from the franchise. I didn't expect the movie to be great. I Was Disappointed. This Movie is Amazing For Action Fans- It's the best action movie of 2013 so far. The Cast is very likable Dwayne The Rock Johnson handles the Character with ease. He good the in the emotional scenes and his 'few' comic scenes with Channing Tatum are a delight. Bruce Willis plays an icing on the cake.The Action sequences are awesome in 3D. 9/10 Expand
  75. Mar 29, 2013
    GI Joe Retaliation is essentially a toy commercial and an action film aimed at adolescent boys. Yes, I may sound negative, but with a right frame of mind, GI Joe Retaliation is actually a lot of fun. Critics? Phooey :p They don't understand the fun of staging your own action 'set pieces' when you're a kid with your Joe's action figures. One of the highlight is simply the Rock aka.GI Joe Retaliation is essentially a toy commercial and an action film aimed at adolescent boys. Yes, I may sound negative, but with a right frame of mind, GI Joe Retaliation is actually a lot of fun. Critics? Phooey :p They don't understand the fun of staging your own action 'set pieces' when you're a kid with your Joe's action figures. One of the highlight is simply the Rock aka. Dwayne Johnson. He brings in his usual charisma and 'conviction' into this film. He doesn't patronize his role as an 'action figure' and brings in an 'injection' of fun into this middle brow franchise. Another thing: for a silly film such as this, GI Joe does not overstay its welcome: at less than two hours (take note, Michael Bay). Not a great film but an enjoyable one. Don't be a cynic, folks. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Louis Black
    Apr 3, 2013
    There actually is some clever dialogue in the film, especially early on between Roadblock and Duke (Tatum). But this fades over the course of the film, and too much of what the characters say sounds as though it’s been lifted verbatim from 1930s and 1940s serials.
  2. Reviewed by: Steve Persall
    Apr 3, 2013
    This movie never realizes how ridiculous anything it does truly is, right up to the last-second promise of another sequel.
  3. Reviewed by: Richard Corliss
    Apr 1, 2013
    An action figure with a sweet core, Johnson can pump up the humanity of any franchise, whether he’s playing a stepdad who becomes a hero in Journey 2 or, as here, a stud soldier who treats Flint and Jaye like his grown children and shepherds them through peril. Following those younger Joes, the Retaliation audience is encouraged to clamber up on Johnson’s huge soldiers and go along for a pretty cool ride.