5.3

1. toma
    Oct 23, 2009
    Really bad. i'm a big fan of action movies, but this isn't even three leagues below stuff like the bourne identity, face/off, x-men I and II, the die hard films, MI- II and III, the dark knight. this is a comic book/video game film. i'm forty, have an advanced degree, and have a high iq. still, i love great fighting (even blade trinity) and hot women in tight clothing. But Really bad. i'm a big fan of action movies, but this isn't even three leagues below stuff like the bourne identity, face/off, x-men I and II, the die hard films, MI- II and III, the dark knight. this is a comic book/video game film. i'm forty, have an advanced degree, and have a high iq. still, i love great fighting (even blade trinity) and hot women in tight clothing. But GI Joe just doesn't cut it. att all. my single biggest problem is that i can't understand what tatum is saying. the guy doesn't enunciate. i can always understand hugh jackman, matt damon, gerard butler, clive owen, daniel craig, will smith, jessica biel, ryan reynolds, etc.. tatum just sounds dumb and uneducated, and lazy. he talks like a guy serving you fries with that at mcdonalds. maybe people under twenty-five can understand speech that sounds just like a string of vowels to me. also, it's way, way too busy. this is an explosion movie, not a fight movie. i like fight movies, and movies about spies. so, movies that involve ingenuity and calculated, agile violence. gi joe is less about action and more about imaginary weapons, like some call of duty 9. there aren't even chases in it. i love good car chases. i enjoy tomb raider. however, this is a new type of film that's all about CGI and weapons, and not much about human strength, agility, dexterity, or speed. there's so much CGI that nothing seems fast (like the car chase in gone in sixty seconds), because everything moving moves against a CGI backdrop. if you're under twenty-five and are acclimated to call of duty, you may enjoy this. if you like x-men, you'll be very disappointed. sienna miler, as always, is dazzlingly pretty. Expand
  2. SteveG
    Aug 24, 2009
    This is a big budget summer action movie with lots of well done special effects. It has a roller coaster kind of quality. But it is intellectually numbing and onlly slightly less insipid than the Transformer fiasco of earlier in the summer. The funny thing is that it is clearly set up as the first of more than one of these. That's amazing.
  3. ZachridW.
    Oct 30, 2009
    It's a "no brainer", that is for sure. I don't know much about the G.I. Joe franchise, but if you are able to turn off your brain for a while - you will enjoy this movie. I wanted to see a stupid story, corny dialogue, superweapons, over-the-top action with CGI up the butt ... and well, that was basically what I got. Good movie to munch popcorn and "MST3000ing" but not worth It's a "no brainer", that is for sure. I don't know much about the G.I. Joe franchise, but if you are able to turn off your brain for a while - you will enjoy this movie. I wanted to see a stupid story, corny dialogue, superweapons, over-the-top action with CGI up the butt ... and well, that was basically what I got. Good movie to munch popcorn and "MST3000ing" but not worth more than 5 points. Expand
  4. maw
    Oct 30, 2009
    It's good enough for a 6 with my lowered expectations. I didn't expect an Oscar-winner like some people here did. I expected it to be extremely cheesy and campy and sure enough it was. And if you suspend logic and ignore bad acting for a little while, you're going to enjoy this movie. As a long time G.I. Joe fan myself, this movie is good enough.
  5. JayH
    Oct 28, 2009
    Preposterous movie with a dumb plot that relies on special effects rather than substance. Way way too over the top. The performances are unimpressive and from a production stand point it
  6. EricE
    Aug 16, 2009
    Didn't follow GI Joe lore much at all. The whole Baroness used to date Duke thing was dumb. In general it was a terrible adaptation. Hope they don't make any new ones.
  7. Mar 19, 2011
    I doubt many people will agree with me on this one, but at least hear me out before voting my review down. I actually went to see this movie near the end of its theatrical run, well after hearing and reading all of the negative feedback. I decided to see it any way because it was one of the last few movies in theatres that I hadn't seen that summer. I had a choice to see G.I. Joe, or someI doubt many people will agree with me on this one, but at least hear me out before voting my review down. I actually went to see this movie near the end of its theatrical run, well after hearing and reading all of the negative feedback. I decided to see it any way because it was one of the last few movies in theatres that I hadn't seen that summer. I had a choice to see G.I. Joe, or some chick flick that my mom was going to see. I chose G.I. Joe for obvious reasons. It turned out to be a pretty big surprise. I definitely liked this one better than Transformers 2, and I did like Transformers 2. Going into it with low expectations turned out to be a very good thing. There were complaints about the quality of the CGI, but I didn't have any problems with it. G.I. Joe was actually a fun summer blockbuster. If anyone went to see it expecting an intellectual experience, it's your own fault you missed it. There were also alot of complaints that important G.I. Joe material from the cartoon and comics was missing, but you have to understand that this should really be considered a prequal. It's the "Rise of Cobra". I think the sequal is going to be what everyone was hoping this one would be, now that Cobra has risen. And dispite what people hated about the movie, there were some nice flashbacks that filled in all the gaps, and the end was a nice lead into part two. I also liked that Stephen Sommers had a few cameos of a few of his Mummy stars. Speaking of The Mummy, that's the type of feel this movie has. The material is obviously cheesy, but it's all about having fun while you're watching it. They never took the movie too seriously, and to most viewers that was their downfall, but in my opinion it paid off. The story was obviously bull **** otherwise it wouldn't be G.I. Joe. But the story was told from beginning to end with no missing pieces. Maybe its just me, but I didn't see any plot holes that went unfilled by the time it wrapped up. So overall the story is pretty solid, to me. If anyone disagrees (I'm sure that's pretty much everyone), at least we can take comfort in the fact that the writers of Zombieland are preparing the script for the sequal. As well as the scripts for the Deadpool spin-off and Zombieland 2. I'd give it a 75%. Expand
  8. SeanG
    Aug 15, 2009
    Ok well its no masterpeace but GI JOE: RISE OF COBRA is 1 thing a over the top film, no dout about it. The acting maybe dier but if you wont a simple explosive movie that will not challenge your brain to much then this is for you but if not, wate untill it limps on the shelfs of BlockBusters.
  9. BenC
    Aug 11, 2009
    So it's no Batman, but there is some fun here - I think particularly for people familiar with the franchise. If I didn't know anything about GI Joe and saw this, I'd be much more critical. But, as I do, it was fun to see the old action figures running around (despite new suits and well, LAME looking vehicles - seriously, if they make toys out of those planes and subs, So it's no Batman, but there is some fun here - I think particularly for people familiar with the franchise. If I didn't know anything about GI Joe and saw this, I'd be much more critical. But, as I do, it was fun to see the old action figures running around (despite new suits and well, LAME looking vehicles - seriously, if they make toys out of those planes and subs, blech!) Don't expect too much, and this should be fun. I went into thinking about every GI Joe storyline I ever made myself; at some point they'll crash into the sofa and a 'giant' cat will sit on Cobra Commander. With that kind of childhood precedent, this plot was much better. Expand
  10. AndyL
    Aug 10, 2009
    A largely aquatic movie accented by a lot of broken glass.
  11. JosephM
    Aug 7, 2009
    Potential was there, but it was not capitalized on.
  12. VincentX
    Aug 9, 2009
    Sienna Miller did a perfect job, but in the end the writer destroy them all, and made the only one interesting character became a joke
  13. NeilB
    Aug 10, 2009
    OK. Nothing crazy. The scene in France was really pretty amazing and gave me hope. The ending was just lets all the air out of the balloon.
  14. TomM
    Aug 18, 2009
    I went into this film not expecting much. It was better than I expected. My main complaint is that the special effects were not that great.
  15. BillB
    Aug 7, 2009
    Pretty disappointing a lot of potholes that even the CGI special effects and actions can't conceal. Some of the characters feel too cartoonish. It feels like being bombarded with the same effect of seeing The Mummy once again. The story really needs editing. It's just a film about good guys vs. bad guys with little to go on their poor character development.
  16. wetwebwork
    Aug 8, 2009
    Fun fast action film. Cleavage, guns, bombs, planes, villains and heroes. Silly, but completely enjoyable for what it is. Better than the too serious T4 by far, and probably Transformers 2 as well.
  17. EnzoP.
    Aug 8, 2009
    G.I. Joe: Rise of Cobra could be the loudest movie of the summer. Its right next to Terminator Salvation and Transformers 2. That helps a lot for this movie to be more interesting and fun. The acting was good enough to make kids say wow! That was sick. Also Marlon Wayans was good enough to make kids laugh and make grown ups chuckle. Most grown ups will probably be annoyed by the cliche G.I. Joe: Rise of Cobra could be the loudest movie of the summer. Its right next to Terminator Salvation and Transformers 2. That helps a lot for this movie to be more interesting and fun. The acting was good enough to make kids say wow! That was sick. Also Marlon Wayans was good enough to make kids laugh and make grown ups chuckle. Most grown ups will probably be annoyed by the cliche characters and how predictable it is. Overall audiences will think its mediocre or bad. Still not surprised the critics hated it didn't look that good from the trailer. I just saw it for some entertainment. Well I got it overall an alright film. Expand
  18. RaniM
    Oct 9, 2009
    This movie can be resumed as: Good action + Bad script = Above-average movie.
  19. AaronR.
    Aug 10, 2009
    I just want to say i hope star wars 8 is not the next movie. as i was thinking that's star wars and that's star wars. any way star wars 7 was good i mean Gi Joe.
  20. MichaelA
    Aug 12, 2009
    A fun action flick with cool chase scene, but unfortunately balanced with dumb one liner, stupid dialogues, and robotic acting.
  21. JohnH
    Aug 15, 2009
    I think the people that go to a movie called G.I. Joe with expectations of cinema genius are the frickin morons. It's summer fun, okay. There's plenty of action, beautiful women and evil bad guys. Get some popcorn, sit back, relax and enjoy. It's fun.
  22. NickR.
    Aug 15, 2009
    Better than what i thought it would be, but considering the fact that i had the lowest expectations for this movie, isn't great.
  23. JonathanH
    Aug 7, 2009
    I went into this movie expecting to hate it, and I was very surprised. While the first twenty minutes feel lame (e.g. ninjas, hot women fighting in leather, and seemingly cheesey flashbacks), once it is all explained it makes sense and becomes surprising deep (considering it's based off of an action figure toy line). Basically, this is not the smartest movie, but it is better than I went into this movie expecting to hate it, and I was very surprised. While the first twenty minutes feel lame (e.g. ninjas, hot women fighting in leather, and seemingly cheesey flashbacks), once it is all explained it makes sense and becomes surprising deep (considering it's based off of an action figure toy line). Basically, this is not the smartest movie, but it is better than many of its competitors (*cough* Transformers *cough*). I give it a 6 for making something that should be lame into something pretty decent. Expand
  24. ElijahG
    Aug 7, 2009
    This movie was okay overall. It was strongest in the first hour and then gets much more boring as it reaches its end. The action was good for the most part but felt stale at times. The story was okay but dragged on at some points. The main villain was very cliche and boring though. Also there are some terrible one-liners and some of the actors are poor. Overall however it was a This movie was okay overall. It was strongest in the first hour and then gets much more boring as it reaches its end. The action was good for the most part but felt stale at times. The story was okay but dragged on at some points. The main villain was very cliche and boring though. Also there are some terrible one-liners and some of the actors are poor. Overall however it was a entertaining movie. Expand
  25. AlC
    Aug 7, 2009
    2 hr action packed movie. Lines were kinda corny. Humor wasn't that funny at all. Could've been better.
  26. PeterO
    Aug 7, 2009
    The plot is really dull, and the characters are underdeveloped. If all the characters had died at the end I would have cared less. The directors gave very little attempt to develop the plot, with about 95% of the movie being pure action. As well, I really didn
  27. JeremyM
    Aug 8, 2009
    A horrible script, awful acting (I'm looking at you Channing Tatum) and goofy fx (some of the worst I've seen in years) make this movie laughable - and not in a good, fun way. With so much mythology to work with, I find it absurd that this movie's script and character work were so dumb and generic. It should also be noted that this IS another case of the writer's A horrible script, awful acting (I'm looking at you Channing Tatum) and goofy fx (some of the worst I've seen in years) make this movie laughable - and not in a good, fun way. With so much mythology to work with, I find it absurd that this movie's script and character work were so dumb and generic. It should also be noted that this IS another case of the writer's changing a mythology that fans know and love. The real travesty here is Tatum's 'work' as Duke. Tatum is one of the worst actors alive today. His facial expression never changes. His voice/inflection never changes. He just does not emote...anything. Even in a movie where the protagonist is a team of individuals, the lack of ONE solid hero to root for is death. In fact, I was actually cheering for Duke to get killed. I should add that Sienna Miller and Christopher Eccleston shine in a movie full of lifeless performances. I would have liked to have seen more of Arnold Vosloo as well, although the real diamond in this rough was a surprise cameo by Brendan Fraser that was way too short. I kept hoping for Fraser to return in the big 'finale', even if only to give Tatum a swirly and stuff him in a locker. Expand
  28. ChrisD
    Aug 8, 2009
    The action and the women are the only good parts of the movie that the viewer will see. The acting and story line is cheesy, predictable, and overall very poorly acted. The actor that plays Duke, seems like he should have been played by John Cena. At least then it could have drawn more people with star power.
  29. JoeS
    Aug 9, 2009
    I'd have given this movie a 6, but it loses a point for being the prequel to the movie we really want to see. Still, it's fun and loud and noisy and pretty much everything you'd expect from a hokey action movie about a toy line. At least it was better than Transformers.
  30. DarrenH
    Aug 15, 2009
    Too much much action and futuristic crap what is it with movies these days? Die Hard 4? Transformers 2? Too much computer technology shown in the film too much cgi Sienna Miller as the baroness is HOT!
  31. Mar 28, 2013
    It's a bad movie with one fun, over-the-top chase sequence in Paris. The rest of the movie is overly familiar and, because of that, instantly forgettable.
  32. Dec 18, 2012
    Ultimate action thril ride
  33. Apr 5, 2013
    G.I Joe is a not so good action movie. So unrealistic movie and the special FX are not good. The actors are better then the plot, I like Channing Tatum a lot and Snake Eyes is such a nice character.
  34. Feb 19, 2013
    The acting was like power rangers.
  35. Mar 3, 2013
    Some of these reviews are a little too harsh. I'm not saying it was'nt corny or a little too unbelievable. But it was very entertaining and the If-le Tower scene was my favorite part. Overall, it was pretty good.

1. Reviewed by: Dan Jolin
    Bond without the style and Team America without the bellylaughs. The moronic script and nonsensical plot are good for a snicker, though.
  2. Reviewed by: Richard Kuipers
    While thesping is not the main game here, having a cast of bright young things certainly helps, and Quaid gets in a few nice John Wayne-like moments as the no-nonsense boss.
  3. Reviewed by: Richard Corliss
    The only collateral damage is in the audience, where, as you sit through the movie, you can feel your IQ drop minute by minute.