5.3

1. LuizE
    Aug 12, 2009
    A Piece of FUN, a lot of action and great special effects, good history. Its 10 to me, enormously entertaining.
  2. Supernintendoh
    Aug 29, 2009
    A 10, just because. People that give movies Zero' and for th Stupidest Reason. Horrible Acting, Worst Movie ever. Like if any of you can act any better. LOL, Oh and those who talk about being the worst movie ever. You guys and gals are idiots. I bet you say that to every movie. Sure why not. I find Movies entertaining and Fun. I like to watch moveis not to see every picture prefect A 10, just because. People that give movies Zero' and for th Stupidest Reason. Horrible Acting, Worst Movie ever. Like if any of you can act any better. LOL, Oh and those who talk about being the worst movie ever. You guys and gals are idiots. I bet you say that to every movie. Sure why not. I find Movies entertaining and Fun. I like to watch moveis not to see every picture prefect and in-perfect movie. I have seen bad and this does not come close to bad {BLOOD RAYNE ANYONE) Maybe i should call Uwe a 10 for every movie he makes. LOL. GI JOE, your OK. Collapse
  3. sanjayk
    Oct 16, 2009
    It's very good.
  4. May 5, 2013
    Thoroughly entertaining. Lots of action involving cool high-tech toys. Love the motorcycle chase. Animated, but on rails nonetheless. Hot chicks but cleavage is never enough. It feels just like the real-life version of the comic book heroes. Overall, I enjoyed the non-stop thrill ride from start to end.
  5. JessG
    Aug 10, 2009
    Excellent. So many visual effects, good story, the critic destroyed it but it was a very good movie. It's hard to adapt a movie from the cartoons but it was a very good job. Congratulations top the producers, actors and everybody who was involved in this project.
  6. JGrant
    Aug 16, 2009
    I have no understanding whatsoever of critics.It's actually quite amusing.Honestly, the fact that a movie like Dragonball Evolution can get a higher average than G.I. Joe is beyond me!These critics just try to hard on thinking what they think is "professional" expecting high art in movies where it cannot possibly be due.There is great action and it is pure entertainment.If I have no understanding whatsoever of critics.It's actually quite amusing.Honestly, the fact that a movie like Dragonball Evolution can get a higher average than G.I. Joe is beyond me!These critics just try to hard on thinking what they think is "professional" expecting high art in movies where it cannot possibly be due.There is great action and it is pure entertainment.If your'e an action/adventure lover you'll enjoy this film. Expand
  7. Dr.Jim
    Aug 10, 2009
    I don't get these reviews. I read the NY Times and The New Yorker, listen to NPR, and dont' have TV, so you would think I would hate something as mindless as GI Joe. But A.O. Scott at the NY Times and so many other reviewers are thinking too much. With a "blockbuster" like GI Joe, you have to suspend disbelief (yes, I know it's supposed to be "suspend belief, but I think my I don't get these reviews. I read the NY Times and The New Yorker, listen to NPR, and dont' have TV, so you would think I would hate something as mindless as GI Joe. But A.O. Scott at the NY Times and so many other reviewers are thinking too much. With a "blockbuster" like GI Joe, you have to suspend disbelief (yes, I know it's supposed to be "suspend belief, but I think my phrase is more accurate) and just go with what GI Joe is about: action, cool weapons and technology, beautiful women, however utterly implausible it is. If you like this sort of action/adventure movie, you'll like GI Joe. Heck, I loved GI Joe!! Expand
  8. DD
    Aug 9, 2009
    Saw the movie last night....Yes the plot line was kind of dumb but overall it was a good action movie.
  9. DanielL
    Aug 9, 2009
    It was a great movie with cool action scenes and somewhat interesting storyline.
  10. AaronW
    Aug 10, 2009
    I loved the movie. It captured the simple action experience I had from my youth in a live action film.
  11. R.H
    Aug 10, 2009
    I really enjoyed this movie. It had great action, comedy, actors fit the characters, was kind of cheesy. But hey so were the G.I. Joe cartoons! I grew up with G.I. Joe and I think they did a good job all around.
  12. DavidG
    Aug 10, 2009
    The critic always destroy a movie based in cartoons, I loved this movie, I think it was amazing! Many people will say that is unrealistic but I think NOTHING IN THE MOVIE WORLD COULD BE UNREALISTIC! Excellent Movie, I would like for the next movie a non human enemy.
  13. NatalieS
    Aug 7, 2009
    If you think you want to see this movie you're right. Unpretentious summer fun. Totally worth the trip. Go Joe Go!!!
  14. MikeM
    Aug 7, 2009
    Not too bad....pretty good escapism. Definitely had the feel of GI Joe, not too serious, hi-tech weapons, etc. Goes by fast and without a dull moment. Got a lot of undeserved bad press, so most people will come out pleasantly surprised. The trailers (especially the initial one) don't give the movie justice...wow, they really need to get a new movie trailer producer or train up the Not too bad....pretty good escapism. Definitely had the feel of GI Joe, not too serious, hi-tech weapons, etc. Goes by fast and without a dull moment. Got a lot of undeserved bad press, so most people will come out pleasantly surprised. The trailers (especially the initial one) don't give the movie justice...wow, they really need to get a new movie trailer producer or train up the existing one. Expand
  15. JustinO
    Aug 7, 2009
    I feel people are looking for a bit too much in movies now a days, they are simply a form of entertainment, stop bashing your heads over so much small detail and enjoy them for what they are. This movie wasn't the best in the world, but I would hate to see it fall into the same category as Transformers ROTF, which I feel was no where near as bad as people and critics said it is.
    Aug 8, 2009
    People don't seem to understand that G.I.Joe was a bit silly in the 80's cartoon. People complain that it is not true to it. Well parents in the 80's thought our G.I.Joes weren't authentic to theirs. All in all it's filled with great action and was well worth my time and money. The only thing that really bugged me was Snake Eyes rubber face , those lips were People don't seem to understand that G.I.Joe was a bit silly in the 80's cartoon. People complain that it is not true to it. Well parents in the 80's thought our G.I.Joes weren't authentic to theirs. All in all it's filled with great action and was well worth my time and money. The only thing that really bugged me was Snake Eyes rubber face , those lips were freaky. All in all I hope they go on to make the two scheduled sequils. I lied that the Joes used semi normal weapons and cobra used futuristic ones like in the cartoon. I think that Cobra Commander could have used the cloth mask but again in the cartoons their was at least three variations of Cobra Commander so it isn't really that important. I am disapointed at peoples rating of this movie as well as Transformers 2 which was great as well. Just remember that these are kids toys turned to movies. Don't take it so seriously. Expand
  17. SteveK
    Aug 8, 2009
    For all the haters: You went to see a movie called "G.I. JOE" based on an 80s cartoon, and you expected a good script or realistic dialogue? What did you expect? This is a live-action cartoon. The effects were a bit sub-par (i.e. - fake looking), but it was what I expected: two hours of dumb action and escapism. Two thumbs up!
  18. TomJ
    Aug 8, 2009
    Good for what it was... action/adventure/high tech/summer popcorn flick. Just don't expect Shakespeare and you'll enjoy the movie (unlike all these silly "pro" reviewers and "serious" amateur reviewers)!
  19. SeanS
    Aug 8, 2009
    I can't believe all the negative press this movie is getting... it was pretty good and worth watching. IMO these critics are just upset that they didn't get their pre-screening and had to watch it like regular fold....Oh the horror!
  20. DanM
    Aug 8, 2009
    Smart and sophisticated. This is a deep layered work, much like Joyce's Ulysses, and as i have only seen it twice i have yet to fully digest it, that said I know two things for sure 1) this movie is a water shed moment in the history film 2) this is the most culturally significant film since Birth of a Nation. 1) this film takes a bold new steep in genrabending and has carried it out Smart and sophisticated. This is a deep layered work, much like Joyce's Ulysses, and as i have only seen it twice i have yet to fully digest it, that said I know two things for sure 1) this movie is a water shed moment in the history film 2) this is the most culturally significant film since Birth of a Nation. 1) this film takes a bold new steep in genrabending and has carried it out flawlessly creating a new way to invision film making. The Coens brothers have made stumbling steps toward the dream that Sommers has realised, notably their adaptation of McCarthy's No Country, but where other directors have only fumbled at what might be, Sommers has created it as Wells did before him. This is film at its best as it speaks to the human condition through multiple perspectives to better understand man and his place in the world. With Joe Sommers has done the seemingly imposable task of genrabending Syriana and Team America into the next citizen kane. The layers of these two gernas intersect in so many ways that a life time could not uncover all the conections, no one man could ever complettly understand this film and it is therefore criticproof. There is no doubt that this film has raised the bar for what a movie can be, film studence every where should burn their colections and focus on the future. GO JOE! 2) not since a birth of a nation have a people been forced to reconsile their future with their history by cinema. that is until now. Joe mutli perspectival aprouch raises so many questions what it means to be American every one who sees this film will be forced to examin there fundamental preconceptions. This film has held up a mirior that we as a people can not look away from. what has been seen cannot be unseen, and we must now move forward as we did after the decoration of independents and the civil war and redefine ourselfs as a nation. We must know once again who we are, and knowing is half the battle. Expand
  21. TONYTONY
    Aug 9, 2009
    Movie was fun and face paced and awesome action. Too many haters and everyone thinking they are actually a New York Times critic. If you were a fan of GI Joe, Transformers, Thundercats, He-Man than you will not be dissapointed. If you are not a fan of these than go see Julie & Julia.
  22. APerson
    Sep 3, 2009
    The fact that this is scoring 20 points less than Terminator Salvation is an absolute joke. At least GI Joe stays true to what made it's franchise good/popular, unlike that other film. Anyways, critics are going to hate this film because it's a big, dumb, CGI-fueled extravanganza, but if you compare it to other big, dumb, CGI-fueled films, it's actually better than average. The fact that this is scoring 20 points less than Terminator Salvation is an absolute joke. At least GI Joe stays true to what made it's franchise good/popular, unlike that other film. Anyways, critics are going to hate this film because it's a big, dumb, CGI-fueled extravanganza, but if you compare it to other big, dumb, CGI-fueled films, it's actually better than average. The characters and acting, while not brilliant, are solid enough (and better than you'd expect). The action scenes are exciting and the film is entertaining throughout, and while the story is highly predictable, at least there is a story there that makes sense and actually builds on things that it establishes instead of just forgetting about them (aka. Terminator Salvation, Dragonball Evolution, The Incredible Hulk, etc). Overall, if you've seen The Mummy, you know what to expect from this film- an above average and highly entertaining action film. If you like action films and feel like switching your brain off for a bit, go see it. Expand
  23. CoryC
    Aug 10, 2009
    I'm a huge fan of 80's G.I. Joe and I was very satisfied with this rethinking/ modern version. This was an origins story to all the major characters and very well-done considering they had to fit it all in under 2 hrs. Hard to do but they did it and it was super fun. It did what all comic book/cartoon movies have to do which is justify these fictional characters in the "real" I'm a huge fan of 80's G.I. Joe and I was very satisfied with this rethinking/ modern version. This was an origins story to all the major characters and very well-done considering they had to fit it all in under 2 hrs. Hard to do but they did it and it was super fun. It did what all comic book/cartoon movies have to do which is justify these fictional characters in the "real" world (or as real as the cinematic world gets!) Hats off to Sommers et al. You didn't disappoint the real fans of G.I. Joe. Hate on, haters... Yo Joe! Expand
  24. Richard
    Aug 10, 2009
    Everyone is too busy looking to a movie for art instead of pure entertainment. Look people, did you watch GI Joe when you were a kid? Are you too young to have watched it?? Who cares??? If you want non-stop over the top fun and action go watch this movie. If you're looking for artsy fartsy crap, go to the fricken art museum.
  25. JasonK
    Aug 15, 2009
    I give this movie a 10 because it knows what it's trying to be. It's a summer movie rollercoaster with loud booms and eye candy stunts and CGI. I grew up on the cartoon and it was a blast seeing it all come to life. Can't wait for the sequel!!
  26. CayoH
    Aug 17, 2009
    I'm shocked at how the bandwagon effect is pushing reviewers to tear into smashingly good summer movie. I went into it expecting for total nonsense on the level of Transformers 2 and instead got a funny, well-acted, well-written action flick with smashingly great special effects. A Must See Guilty Pleasure.
  27. JohnS
    Aug 7, 2009
    Not bad for a popcorn, action movie. All this bad press..come on folks, this is GI Joe not Macbeth! People take themselves way too seriously now.
  28. EdgarV.
    Aug 7, 2009
    This is way better than Transformers 2, T2 was so bad first it was long and then very boring this movie no , this movie is the best in based on action toys.
  29. JohnY
    Aug 8, 2009
    Good, fast paced, escapist, summer action/adventurer. Don't know what these naysayers were expecting, but this is a fun, exciting movie... well worth it. The arrogance of some of the pros/serious critics is unbelievable!
  30. ArmandM
    Oct 12, 2009
    Fantastic Film even that the story is a little not too much concern but action and graphics are superb.
  31. KellyJ
    Aug 11, 2009
    I loved the movie the same way a mother loves her special needs son. I grew up on GI Joe and while there were plenty of eye roller moments, I freaking LOVED seeing my favorite cartoon come to life. I enjoyed turning off my adult senses of taste and now I finally understand why some people liked Transformers 2.
  32. SamuelS
    Aug 12, 2009
    Best action movie EVER!!! It was so detailed. Plot was easy to follow and well written. Acting phenomenal. Awesome movie.
  33. Walter
    Aug 15, 2009
    A very fun movie experience. All you people who gave this movie a 2 or lower because you're apparently too smart need to embrace your damn childhood a little bit. I had fun, and was entertained. Last I checked, that's what a movie should accomplish.
  34. RobinV
    Aug 18, 2009
    Go see this movie! Fantastic summer rollercoaster ride with non-stop action and no long introductions of characters. It really reminded me of Star Trek which was an unexpected surprise as well. If you love action, sfx, ninjas, big battles like the star wars movies, the mummy movies also directed by stephen sommers for example you will adore this movie also because it is pretty faithfull, Go see this movie! Fantastic summer rollercoaster ride with non-stop action and no long introductions of characters. It really reminded me of Star Trek which was an unexpected surprise as well. If you love action, sfx, ninjas, big battles like the star wars movies, the mummy movies also directed by stephen sommers for example you will adore this movie also because it is pretty faithfull, it catches the spirit completely, to the 80's cartoons unlike transformers 1 and 2. Yooo Joe! Expand
  35. robj.
    Aug 25, 2009
    This movie was good for all family. About the same as Transformers 2.
  36. Apr 17, 2013
    I don't see how anyone could call this movie worse than Retaliation. This one is just better in every single way. Sure there are some mistakes, but I can live with them. One of the best movies I have ever seen, shame they made such a mess of Retaliation.

1. Reviewed by: Dan Jolin
    Bond without the style and Team America without the bellylaughs. The moronic script and nonsensical plot are good for a snicker, though.
  2. Reviewed by: Richard Kuipers
    While thesping is not the main game here, having a cast of bright young things certainly helps, and Quaid gets in a few nice John Wayne-like moments as the no-nonsense boss.
  3. Reviewed by: Richard Corliss
    The only collateral damage is in the audience, where, as you sit through the movie, you can feel your IQ drop minute by minute.