Paramount Pictures | Release Date: August 7, 2009
5.2
Mixed or average reviews based on 359 Ratings
WATCH NOW
FreedomFightersNov 21, 2016
June 2009 graced us with "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen," which took such a beating from critics and fans that "G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra" kind of breathed a sigh of relief that "Transformers" took away most of the Razzies that thisJune 2009 graced us with "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen," which took such a beating from critics and fans that "G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra" kind of breathed a sigh of relief that "Transformers" took away most of the Razzies that this film might have otherwise received. In any case, "G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra" is pretty much everything you expect it to be: big, dumb, action-packed fun with not much else to it: there's not much in the way of substance and the performances are nothing special, but if you like films that are silly, cartoony, action-packed and nothing else, "G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra" might be your film. If not, you'd be wise to explore other options. Expand
EpicLadySpongeFeb 3, 2016
In order to save plenty of money for the next Transformers installment, Paramount Pictures and Hasbro comes up with pretty much the most thinkable genius idea to make a G.I Joe movie.
johnslegersJan 3, 2016
As I just finished watching "G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra", I seriously wonder what kind of abomination the Hollywood film industry has become when its major blockbusters are reduced to two hour long toy commercials filled with fancy CGI butAs I just finished watching "G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra", I seriously wonder what kind of abomination the Hollywood film industry has become when its major blockbusters are reduced to two hour long toy commercials filled with fancy CGI but lacking a coherent story whatsoever.

Any man born in the early eighties somewhere in Western society remembers GI Joe as one of the coolest toy franchises that (just like "Transformers") had its own cartoon series to make the toys notorious. And boy, notorious they were. Millions of young boys dreamed of having their own plastic Cobra army going against the brave plastic Joe's and of course (unlike the cartoon) defeating them every now and then. I don't remember much of the cartoon series, to be honest, but boy do I remember those fascinating Cobra outfits. Those were the days...

Now we're 20 years later and the toy companies have moved up. Instead of using cartoons to sell their toys, they're using movies. And boy, do they suck. "Transformers" was an empty shell of a film, "Transformers 2" managed to be even worse and then there was "GI Joe". All I can say is "WOW"... What a way to ruin our childhood memories.

"GI Joe" consists of little more than one action scene after the other. While this is not a bad thing per se (I actually liked "Crank" and even "Shoot 'em up" the first time I saw them), the audience of "GI Joe" witnesses its intelligence being consistently insulted by a story that lacks any character development whatsoever, that lacks a coherent plot, that defies physics on a continuous basis and that is so filled with CGI I sometimes felt I was watching an animation film. Suspension of disbelief is one thing, but going throughout this film and remotely taking it seriously is another. Is there any more blatant way to rip off an existing franchise and use film as a way to advertise a new line of toys? And you know what... The one thing that made "GI Joe" so fascinating as a kid was the cool "Cobra" outfits and they managed to ruin that as well. ####, even the toys look like ####!

Watch this film only if you want to get a glimpse of how ridiculously sub par Hollywood blockbusters have become and you feel like making fun of it. Even as a "turn off your brain and enjoy" kind of film, this film is just too moronic to watch in any other setting... unless you're as stupid as the lowest common denominators this film seems to be targeted for. In that case, I pity you.
lukechristianscJul 22, 2015
Paramount's film adaptation of the GI Joe animated show "G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra" isn't a smart science fiction film, the plot we can understand but the film has zero explanation of telling it to the viewers. Two soldiers stationed inParamount's film adaptation of the GI Joe animated show "G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra" isn't a smart science fiction film, the plot we can understand but the film has zero explanation of telling it to the viewers. Two soldiers stationed in Kazahkstan, Captain Duke Hauser (Channing Tatum) and his partner Ripcord (Marlon Wayans) are ordered to transport a special weapon called warheads created by a high-tech company called MARS, an arms' manufacturer controlled by James McCullen (Christopher Eccleston). When they are attacked by thieves, led by Anastasia DeCobray (Sienna Miller) who has a history with Duke, Duke and Ripcord are saved by a top secret international unit called "G.I Joe." The leader of the unit General Hawk (Dennis Quaid) is on the trail of the thieves: an organization called "Cobra." While Duke and Ripcord are train to join the Joes, McCullen is secretly working for the Cobra and plotting to recapture his metal eating "Nanomite" warheads. Duke and Ripcord team up with Heavy Duty, Snake eyes and the rest of the Joes must prove that they are the Real American Heroes - - by stopping the launch of these warheads before Cobra uses them to destroy the world. What fans are going to get in this film are the characters that die hard fans of Joe are going to get so that gives the writers points also gives the characters backstories that understand their past and figure out what that has to do with the film. However, the film has problems with the plot and the plot is making a huge plot whole and while the film focuses more on the characters it should also care for the character development. Sienna Miller's performance was kick ass, it would be more exciting if she was the villain and not when turned good (we all saw it coming!) obviously she would fall in love with Duke. Sommer's does a pretty good directing the mindless action sequences, he captures a piece of fun and making it feel like a B-movie. This movie is dumb, but if you want a dumb stupid mindless cinematic carnival ride than this is your film. Grade B+ Expand
oxanaAug 25, 2014
Better than I dared to hope. The plot was good, although got a little dull near the end. Witty lines here and there actually stood out as entertaining rather than clichéd expressions. In general, this movie doesn't differ much from otherBetter than I dared to hope. The plot was good, although got a little dull near the end. Witty lines here and there actually stood out as entertaining rather than clichéd expressions. In general, this movie doesn't differ much from other action movies when it comes to the structure of the plot, but this film kept it pretty well together.

The animation had a lot to hope for in some scenes, which was kind of surprising considering that some scenes managed to look really good and realistic.

The cast was pretty good, although there were a few people I would have replaced by someone else. For one, I just can't take Marlon Wayans seriously - not after seeing him in his role in "Dungeons and Dragons"; he's such a clown and not to be taken seriously with that tone of voice. Ever.

Christopher Eccleston was his own good self, and Sienna Miller was surprisingly cool. Channing Tatum did what he was supposed to, being the hero but not more than that. Ray Park had the best character in the movie to play - Snake Eyes - alhough he never got to talk or to show his face. Byung-hun Lee's Storm Shadow got the award of the best looking character in the film; I couldn't stop staring at him.

There were nice side-plots tying a lot of characters together, introducing them in flashbacks that were pretty well timed with the rest of the plot. This also offered some of the best twists and turns later on.
juliankennedy23Aug 6, 2014
G.I. Joe: The Rise of the Cobra: 7 out of 10: I think I may have liked this movie less had I not recently sat through the two and a half hour opus that is Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen. GI Joe is like Transformers with a coherent plotG.I. Joe: The Rise of the Cobra: 7 out of 10: I think I may have liked this movie less had I not recently sat through the two and a half hour opus that is Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen. GI Joe is like Transformers with a coherent plot and a half an hour of stupid removed. (Notice I said half an hour not all.) First, let us get the ugly out of the way. GI Joe is no longer “A Real American Hero” instead it is a group of foreigners led by Dennis Quaid and answerable to well nobody as far as I can tell. While I understand the change from a cowardly international marketing point of view, it really is a sad state of affairs. However, since all the real heroes turn out to be Americans after all and the bad guys are mostly foreigners from despot countries like Scotland and Japan, it is less jarring of a change than one would suppose.

If you can get past the fact the GI Joe Corps is a secret international army (no doubt enforcing the upcoming one world order), has weapons more advanced than the US troops and yet is still inexplicably called GI JOE. (I had assumed at some point Dennis Quaid would declare it is a lame acronym such as Global Initiative something something Expedition alas to his credit he does not.) You still have to deal with some of the casting choices.

While I am not overly familiar with the GI Joe mythos, I did see a major flaw on the Joe side. Channing Tatum simply does not look or act like Duke. Now Duke is the main character and everyman of the Joes. If you are familiar with the Duke Nukem video game, think that guy with less one-liners and **** bar visits. Channing simply does not have the charisma or presence to pull of the character and the script does not give him much help.

The other character the script torpedoes is The Baroness. She is the bad girl of the GI Joe universe and is played brilliantly by Sienna Miller (It really helps to hire great actors for these roles sometimes). The storyline unfortunately softens the Baroness to the point that by the end Duke is carrying her out of the exploding bad guys headquarters in his arms. (The bad guys lose. I hope that is not a spoiler in a movie called G.I. Joe) The other main characters are well represented. Marlon Wayans plays the black comic relief in the form of Ripcord (Dukes buddy). Normally I am aghast at the ethnic comic relief but Wayans pulls it off with aplomb. Rachel Nichols might seem a strange choice to play a smart woman, but she certainly looks the part and the whole Scarlett is an intellectual meme has clearly been toned down. She and Wayans have a romance that while safe for the kids may make adults in the audience dislocate their ciliary muscle.

Rounding out the cast is a bunch of foreigners, Dennis Quaid, Jonathan Pryce as the President and an uncredited Brendan Fraser.

The movie has a video game feel and I mean that in the most complementary way. The weapons are out of a Sci-fi shooter. The Joes wear suits cribbed directly from the video game Crackdown (Complete with the same powers); the very well shot action sequence in Paris will be quite familiar to any old school players of Twisted Metal 2.

The finale is right out of any Roger Moore James Bond film. This is old school fun action, well shot, with a plot a seven year old could follow. There is some back-story and attempts at depth, but needless to say it is perfectly safe to turn your brain off for a few hours and enjoy the show.

The plot is as follows. Bad guys steal evil weapon (Nanobite missiles). Good Guys get weapons back. Bad guys invade good guys headquarters killing cute blond and stealing missiles, Bad guys use missiles on unimportant foreign city (Paris) to show they mean business. Good Guys have their badges take away and are ordered to report to base. Good guys go to bad guys base instead. Good guys destroy bad guys underwater Arctic base by blowing up the icecap causing the underwater base to be crushed by the falling ice... hold on... falling ice???? Yes, apparently in the GI Joe universe the concept that ice floats is just another unproven liberal egghead theory like evolution or the female orgasm. I guess that is what happens when you have a redheaded bimbo play your science officer. (Moreover, do not get me started on the chasing ballistic missiles with an airplane part.) The stupid is strong in this one... but so is the fun.
TheApplegnomeFeb 8, 2014
A great movie with a high amount of action. G.I. Joe: The Rise Of Cobra got an awesome beginning, and the movie overall also contains much energy, and I really enjoyed it! The movie is well made, and the actors are okay, but not super great,A great movie with a high amount of action. G.I. Joe: The Rise Of Cobra got an awesome beginning, and the movie overall also contains much energy, and I really enjoyed it! The movie is well made, and the actors are okay, but not super great, and the guy that played Dukes was just horrible, he was just so irritating and bad at everything. The story is a little weired at some places, but the music thought, is awesome. This movie is also very cool, and it contains many unique and awesome things that I never have seen before.
The bad thing about this movie is that it's a little silly and lengthy at some places, and it might have been to much action in this movie, and I can't believe I just said that! The special effects are great and G.I. Joe: The Rise Of Cobra is an awesome, exiting, stunning and a great action movie, that got a high amount if action at a high tempo, and I really recommend it for all the action-lovers out there, even though the actors aren't that great and that the story is a little weird.

G.I. Joe: The Rise Of Cobra get's a 8/10
joao1198pedroNov 20, 2013
this is a terrible movie,the only thing that i didn't but 0 on this film was because it had some regular scenes of fight,but that's all the rest of the movie is a crap.
RayzorMooseNov 16, 2013
Rise of the Cobra slithers into sheer idiocy.
The plot is so slothfully slow, and remarkably poor I honestly don't know how it was approved by the studio. The acting is terrible and the special effects aren't impressive. A long awful action "movie".
MACThreeNov 6, 2013
From beginnign to end I was thoroughly underwhelmed by this movie. There were glaring errors in its represneation of our armed forces (I understand that this is a work of fiction, but Channing Tatum starts the movie not as a Joe but as aFrom beginnign to end I was thoroughly underwhelmed by this movie. There were glaring errors in its represneation of our armed forces (I understand that this is a work of fiction, but Channing Tatum starts the movie not as a Joe but as a legitimate member of the US armed forces--he shouldn't have a goatee).

The movie takes some serious liberties with the G.I. Joe franchise, and it isn't always for the best. The action sequences were over-the-top, even for the source material.

Aside from a few good lines this movie was painful for me to watch. I kept looking at the clock and wondering when it would end.
BrianMcCriticJul 6, 2013
I admit that I wasn't big into G.I. Joe as a kid, but with that said from my memories of the cartoon and the fact that just as a stand alone movie this film is awful.
ypomoniJul 5, 2013
Oh yeah, it's cheesy, but at least it knows it. In fact, this film makes no apologies for it! The basic plot is simple (of course) Good guys vs the evil mega-tycoon with his evil scientist side-kick, brainwashing, throw in some currentOh yeah, it's cheesy, but at least it knows it. In fact, this film makes no apologies for it! The basic plot is simple (of course) Good guys vs the evil mega-tycoon with his evil scientist side-kick, brainwashing, throw in some current technological buzzwords (nanomites!) and blow everything up. The acting is appalling, almost as if the actors were told not to try too hard.
Having said all of this, it is a pop-corn action film. I guess that if you are looking for big special effects, a whole lot of running around, impossible stunts and basically not having to think for 2 hrs, then this film is for you.
savagejoe444May 28, 2013
This is the worst movie Iv'e ever seen in years! G.I. Joe is a classic and this film just takes a huge dump on it like its better than it! DO NOT SEE THIS MOVIE!
R6exMay 5, 2013
Thoroughly entertaining. Lots of action involving cool high-tech toys. Love the motorcycle chase. Animated, but on rails nonetheless. Hot chicks but cleavage is never enough. It feels just like the real-life version of the comic book heroes.Thoroughly entertaining. Lots of action involving cool high-tech toys. Love the motorcycle chase. Animated, but on rails nonetheless. Hot chicks but cleavage is never enough. It feels just like the real-life version of the comic book heroes. Overall, I enjoyed the non-stop thrill ride from start to end. Expand
still_gunsApr 17, 2013
I don't see how anyone could call this movie worse than Retaliation. This one is just better in every single way. Sure there are some mistakes, but I can live with them. One of the best movies I have ever seen, shame they made such a mess ofI don't see how anyone could call this movie worse than Retaliation. This one is just better in every single way. Sure there are some mistakes, but I can live with them. One of the best movies I have ever seen, shame they made such a mess of Retaliation. Expand
WiesyApr 5, 2013
G.I Joe is a not so good action movie. So unrealistic movie and the special FX are not good. The actors are better then the plot, I like Channing Tatum a lot and Snake Eyes is such a nice character.
jordiMar 30, 2013
Muy entretenida. Perfectos efectos especiales. Te hace revivir aquéllos tiempos de Marvel o Hasbro. Un Duke guapísimo como Channing Tatum. Una Scarlett (Rachel Nichols) con un físico y atuendo que nos recuerda a la Viuda Negra. EstupendasMuy entretenida. Perfectos efectos especiales. Te hace revivir aquéllos tiempos de Marvel o Hasbro. Un Duke guapísimo como Channing Tatum. Una Scarlett (Rachel Nichols) con un físico y atuendo que nos recuerda a la Viuda Negra. Estupendas localizaciones. Por fin una aventura que no sucede en New York, estando muy bien escogido París. Expand
TheWalrus2000Mar 29, 2013
G.I. Joe:Rise of Cobra lacks the vision of a fun action-packed Hasbro adaptation. It provides sloppy scenes and visuals, and has no fun to its tone. Its messy direction provided terrible performances and annoying cast. Rise of Cobra fails onG.I. Joe:Rise of Cobra lacks the vision of a fun action-packed Hasbro adaptation. It provides sloppy scenes and visuals, and has no fun to its tone. Its messy direction provided terrible performances and annoying cast. Rise of Cobra fails on all levels. Expand
SeriosityMar 28, 2013
It's a bad movie with one fun, over-the-top chase sequence in Paris. The rest of the movie is overly familiar and, because of that, instantly forgettable.
mds03Mar 3, 2013
Some of these reviews are a little too harsh. I'm not saying it was'nt corny or a little too unbelievable. But it was very entertaining and the If-le Tower scene was my favorite part. Overall, it was pretty good.
pabloaimarFeb 19, 2013
The acting was like power rangers.
ThegodfathersonFeb 17, 2013
I really think the Critics are blind- gi joe rise of the cobra was the ultimate thrill ride..... Every single actor nailed it! I mean the story is good it's fast paced! Not every movie has to be critically acclaimed... I give this movie 8/10,I really think the Critics are blind- gi joe rise of the cobra was the ultimate thrill ride..... Every single actor nailed it! I mean the story is good it's fast paced! Not every movie has to be critically acclaimed... I give this movie 8/10, must watch... Set aside the review, which totally suck. Expand
forestvilleFeb 3, 2013
Bad movie, really really bad, its all i can say, I think it goes without saying why.
is so boring, stupid and immature. How could pay a large company like Paramount Pictures, 175 million, into something so ugly? Besides, how could act Joseph Gordon-Levitt in a movie so horrible?
than disappointing, really disappointing.
and still get to do a sequel, that damn curse. respect for that if you like but that's my opinion, is a really bad movie.
dante_finnDec 18, 2012
Ultimate action thril ride
PeachCobblerDec 17, 2012
I... I just don't know what to say. It's been three years and I'm still left speechless.
This movie is completely juvenile and stupid. And that's pretty much all there is to it.
HalfwelshmanJun 22, 2012
There's a lot wrong with G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra. It has a chronically poor script, terrible acting, some ropey-looking special effects, an overlong running time and a plot that defies logic. It's also more than a little amoral, seeminglyThere's a lot wrong with G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra. It has a chronically poor script, terrible acting, some ropey-looking special effects, an overlong running time and a plot that defies logic. It's also more than a little amoral, seemingly glamorising warfare by presenting weapons of mass destruction like massive, colourful toys (in fact, much of the film plays like an extended toy commercial, which I suppose any film funded by Hasbro essentially is). Acting-wise, there's very little to write home about, and performances range from generic to awful. All due credit to Christopher Eccleston for keeping a straight face reading his lines, which are all-too-often unintentionally funny, and the less said about Sienna Miller the better. The best performance comes from Ray Park, and as a silent ninja, he does all his talking with his stunning physicality, and his character's back-story shown in flashback is probably the closest the film comes to presenting actual human emotions. To be fair to director Stephen Sommers (The Mummy, Van Helsing) his films tend to be much better when they go completely over-the-top, and G.I. Joe is no exception. Clunky and laughable as the first half of the film is, once the action really kicks up a gear or two, there's fun to be had. The power armour chase, the sword fight and Star Wars homage underwater dogfight are all very exciting and entertaining set pieces. Flat and uninspiring though the majority of the film is, G.I. Joe does offer a few cheap thrills, particularly if you're willing to switch your brain off for a while. If it was shorter, a little better written and acted, it might have been a trashy guilty pleasure, but as it is it's just trash that raises an occasional smile, unintentional or not. Expand
LevelsAndGearDec 27, 2011
G.I. Joe - Review! (1.5 stars - no spoilers!)

G.I. Joe - Review! (1.5 stars - no spoilers!)

I knew it was going to be bad. I didn't know it was going to be as laughably bad as it was. Growing up in the 80's, I have a soft spot for G.I. Joe. It was light and silly, no one ever died, and everyone always parachuted out of their exploding vehicles. This movie seems to try to combine serious military action (heads exploding) with lighthearted action (goofy one-liner after just killing 12 people) - the result is as you'd expect, a bit weird. The make-up, cleavage, and one-liners are all impeccable. The action is fast paced. The acting is godawful and dialogue is pathetic. 12 flashbacks were a bit too many. The foreshadowing was painfully obvious. The technology was fantastic and apparently used by soldiers who "didn't know there was a manual". There was even a Joe Training Montage. And I won't even get started on the really stupid love "plots".

The baroness was hot, and they made sure to show off her assets most of the time, and it was pretty much the lone bright spot. The occasional nod to the series was fairly enjoyable as well. My friend commented that the money used to make the film could have been used to feed the hungry and on medical research. When viewed in that light, it makes the movie seem even worse.

On a side note, if anyone understands the Duke bubble Gum reference, please let me know. The closest I could come up with is the Duke Nuke'em Reference (which is actually a ripped off They Live reference) Anyway, I can't suggest this movie to anyone, though I am sure fans of the series are going to see it regardless. Have your hopes down. 1.5 stars. Mostly for the Baroness. http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/gi_joe/
islandDec 9, 2011
An average science-fiction with a very, very poor script. I just don't understand why they are making this amount of action films. They are focusing on quantity instead of quality.
FamousdogNov 28, 2011
What on earth are any of the characters' motivations in this "film"? Cobra Commander goes from being a fresh-faced nice guy to evil meglomaniac genius in the space of a few seconds with no explanation at all. This film is just an excuse toWhat on earth are any of the characters' motivations in this "film"? Cobra Commander goes from being a fresh-faced nice guy to evil meglomaniac genius in the space of a few seconds with no explanation at all. This film is just an excuse to blow stuff up - at which it succeeds. Brenan Fraser is cruelly under-used. Can't believe they stomped on my nostalgia... Expand
grandpajoe6191Sep 29, 2011
Foolish it is to create "G.I. Joe: The Rise of the Cobra"; a inane movie with dull action and a 7 year-old-can-write-that story. Possibly one of the worst, no, biggest Razzie flicks of the year.
AtTheMoviesJun 18, 2011
Horrible, simply horrible. Noisy and relying too heavily on special effect,s G.I. Joe is awful. The acting is sucky, the writing suckier, and the plot overly predictable. An awful adaption of a classic cartoon. If you want to see a movie forHorrible, simply horrible. Noisy and relying too heavily on special effect,s G.I. Joe is awful. The acting is sucky, the writing suckier, and the plot overly predictable. An awful adaption of a classic cartoon. If you want to see a movie for special effects, do not see this. Although the special effects may be good, the rest of the movie will leave you in physical pain. Expand
SlyDragonsApr 23, 2011
This movie made me hate every character (with the possible exception of Zartan). Good God, this was horrible. I can't really think of anything this movie did right, but they obviously spent a lot of money on bad CGI it, so I won't give it a zero.
NazguleroMar 26, 2011
I don't get it. The movie industry is a business. It is there to make money. It sells products, the movies. Before a product is launched, each and every company on the planet does some sort of research on the profitability of the product. GII don't get it. The movie industry is a business. It is there to make money. It sells products, the movies. Before a product is launched, each and every company on the planet does some sort of research on the profitability of the product. GI Joe is a product, right ? Apparently, the pre-lauch research has been skipped, because if they would have shown this crap to a test audience, they would have learned pretty much instantaneously that this product is not fit to be released. Unbelievable. Expand
gm101Mar 21, 2011
Decent adaptation of G.I. Joe, but could've been better. Special effects needed much work. Thankfully, Snake-Eyes was so awesome that I was actually interested in the movie.
RJSmooveMar 19, 2011
I doubt many people will agree with me on this one, but at least hear me out before voting my review down. I actually went to see this movie near the end of its theatrical run, well after hearing and reading all of the negative feedback. II doubt many people will agree with me on this one, but at least hear me out before voting my review down. I actually went to see this movie near the end of its theatrical run, well after hearing and reading all of the negative feedback. I decided to see it any way because it was one of the last few movies in theatres that I hadn't seen that summer. I had a choice to see G.I. Joe, or some chick flick that my mom was going to see. I chose G.I. Joe for obvious reasons. It turned out to be a pretty big surprise. I definitely liked this one better than Transformers 2, and I did like Transformers 2. Going into it with low expectations turned out to be a very good thing. There were complaints about the quality of the CGI, but I didn't have any problems with it. G.I. Joe was actually a fun summer blockbuster. If anyone went to see it expecting an intellectual experience, it's your own fault you missed it. There were also alot of complaints that important G.I. Joe material from the cartoon and comics was missing, but you have to understand that this should really be considered a prequal. It's the "Rise of Cobra". I think the sequal is going to be what everyone was hoping this one would be, now that Cobra has risen. And dispite what people hated about the movie, there were some nice flashbacks that filled in all the gaps, and the end was a nice lead into part two. I also liked that Stephen Sommers had a few cameos of a few of his Mummy stars. Speaking of The Mummy, that's the type of feel this movie has. The material is obviously cheesy, but it's all about having fun while you're watching it. They never took the movie too seriously, and to most viewers that was their downfall, but in my opinion it paid off. The story was obviously bull **** otherwise it wouldn't be G.I. Joe. But the story was told from beginning to end with no missing pieces. Maybe its just me, but I didn't see any plot holes that went unfilled by the time it wrapped up. So overall the story is pretty solid, to me. If anyone disagrees (I'm sure that's pretty much everyone), at least we can take comfort in the fact that the writers of Zombieland are preparing the script for the sequal. As well as the scripts for the Deadpool spin-off and Zombieland 2. I'd give it a 75%. Expand
JW1LLFeb 7, 2011
I grew up watching the GI JOE cartoons and to me this movie does an injustice to it. First, Ripcord isn't an African American and Scarlett's eye was ALWAYS on Duke. Second, the Baroness had no back history with Duke and she was always aboutI grew up watching the GI JOE cartoons and to me this movie does an injustice to it. First, Ripcord isn't an African American and Scarlett's eye was ALWAYS on Duke. Second, the Baroness had no back history with Duke and she was always about Destro. I'm not trying to get hung up on the love interests here but, the movie made it that way and it was nowhere near accurate. Why deviate from the original backgrounds? The Baroness was cold, calculating and so evil she was always trying to kill Cobra Commander. She was never a good person. Now to the movie. The acting was so bad I felt embarrassed for them all. Just once you had to think they had to be talking while the cameras were off saying "man this script blows, but I need this paycheck". Channing Tatum showed no emotion as Duke whatsoever. Duke in the cartoons became the leader of the JOES and his words compelled his troops to fight and to win. Channing Tatum's acting in this movie only compelled me to write a bad review of it. The CGI was also poor. It's like the technology they used was from 2002. Everything CGI was extremely noticeable. I can deal with CGI and if it's done well I'm more than fine with it but when it's cartoonish and done sloppily that's where I draw my line. Overall, the movie was just plain bad and the acting was second rate except for Ray Park(Snake Eyes) and he's the exception because he didn't say anything.

Thanks Stephen Sommers, you've ruined GI JOE.
Mikester7Jan 27, 2011
Terrible. The acting was terrible and the CGI was horrific for a movie from recently. Dialogue was really bad too, one to avoid to be honest. Pretty pathetic all round.....
MovieLonely94Nov 17, 2010
its cartoonish, but perfect
SeriousSquidNov 4, 2010
G.I Joe is just an awful awful, movie. It all comes down to one major flaw in the entire movie: the plot is retarded. And I don't mean it like every action movie needs to be Shakespeare, if I wanted that I'd see a play. No, the problem isG.I Joe is just an awful awful, movie. It all comes down to one major flaw in the entire movie: the plot is retarded. And I don't mean it like every action movie needs to be Shakespeare, if I wanted that I'd see a play. No, the problem is G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra is just way too sincere with being a story-focused movie, wasting alot of time building on the non-existent motivations and traits of it's characters and hammering cliché after cliché into the damn thing. Its just boring for no transparent reason. Furthermore providing a plot twist you are apparently supposed to figure out at the beginning of the movie. Movies like Shoot 'Em Up can get away with a lame plot because it is only an excuse to have non-stop action whereas G.I Joe becomes a pain to sit through . Speaking of the action, it's not even especially good at all. Admittedly I found the Paris car chase scene somewhat entertaining but it takes too long getting there and the final "epic" battle is a mess of parallel events, failing to engage and ending in a pointless 90s-style sequel hint, because that was the best part of Godzilla (1998) right?

Ice doesn't sink in the ocean G.I Joe writers.
AdamKNov 14, 2009
This movie is absolutely awful. I grew up watching Transformers, GI Joe, and other shows along the same basis. In saying that, I have seen all of the above movies. This movie had incredibly terrible special effects, acting, writing, and This movie is absolutely awful. I grew up watching Transformers, GI Joe, and other shows along the same basis. In saying that, I have seen all of the above movies. This movie had incredibly terrible special effects, acting, writing, and directing. There is nothing good to say about this movie. I am glad I did not spend the money to see this in the theater and only wish I could say I did not spend the money to rent it. Expand
FrancisANov 10, 2009
I gave this movie a 7 because I was a huge fan of GI JOE as a kid. If I was the average person who doesn't have any knowledge of GI JOE from the 80's. I would probably give it a 2.5-3 just because the film is looks like a close I gave this movie a 7 because I was a huge fan of GI JOE as a kid. If I was the average person who doesn't have any knowledge of GI JOE from the 80's. I would probably give it a 2.5-3 just because the film is looks like a close replica of how Transformers was shot. Army, secret government task force, action scenes through the city, cheesy relationships, I can go on and on. I read Ebert's review and he was thinking that the Ninjas were in it because they need the asian audience in Japan. Which of course if you are a true JOE fan you would know Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow are a major part of GI Joe/Cobra. When I watched this movie, I watched it like I was that 10 year old boy again. GI Joe was made for 30 year olds who love the nostalgia of their childhood. If this was the worst movie you have ever seen I don't blame you. I really hated Revenge of the Fallen. Expand
TimHNov 8, 2009
Wow... that... was... dumb... I fought the urge to turn it off in the first 5 friggin' minutes - I should at least get a t-shirt for my trouble, but alas, no free t-shirt came with my $1 rental at the RedBox - that's highway Wow... that... was... dumb... I fought the urge to turn it off in the first 5 friggin' minutes - I should at least get a t-shirt for my trouble, but alas, no free t-shirt came with my $1 rental at the RedBox - that's highway robbery if you ask me. If I had gone to see it in the theater, I would have walked out and asked for my money back, just like that piece of trash, "Silent Hill." Trust me, giving it a "2" is generous; it makes the movie "Steath" look like "Full Metal Jacket" - know what I'm saying. Expand
EddieLNov 8, 2009
Woeful plot. Unless you are a ten year old boy. You will like it.The script will bore you to tears!!
KennyNov 4, 2009
Stephen Sommers once again bring a firecracker, an animal without bones or thorns but very airheaded. A pretentious product, which only helps the less demanding audience can 'flip' with great special effects and the toys of Stephen Sommers once again bring a firecracker, an animal without bones or thorns but very airheaded. A pretentious product, which only helps the less demanding audience can 'flip' with great special effects and the toys of Ghostbusters. Dialogue taken from a script stupid stupid and without foundation, filled with silly jokes and scenes as phantoms. No doubt the movie Sommers filling complies with all the topics of most Hollywood movies, has not been forgotten either. Marlon Wayans could have stayed at home smoking marijuana. Sienna Miller o 'the girl', her character is the big topic of the film. And last the little character named Channing Tatum, "to say about this 'intimate' 'macho'?, Better to say nothing, really, better abstain. No where to get it. Expand
1 of 2 users found this helpful
ZachridW.Oct 30, 2009
It's a "no brainer", that is for sure. I don't know much about the G.I. Joe franchise, but if you are able to turn off your brain for a while - you will enjoy this movie. I wanted to see a stupid story, corny dialogue, It's a "no brainer", that is for sure. I don't know much about the G.I. Joe franchise, but if you are able to turn off your brain for a while - you will enjoy this movie. I wanted to see a stupid story, corny dialogue, superweapons, over-the-top action with CGI up the butt ... and well, that was basically what I got. Good movie to munch popcorn and "MST3000ing" but not worth more than 5 points. Expand
mawOct 30, 2009
It's good enough for a 6 with my lowered expectations. I didn't expect an Oscar-winner like some people here did. I expected it to be extremely cheesy and campy and sure enough it was. And if you suspend logic and ignore bad acting It's good enough for a 6 with my lowered expectations. I didn't expect an Oscar-winner like some people here did. I expected it to be extremely cheesy and campy and sure enough it was. And if you suspend logic and ignore bad acting for a little while, you're going to enjoy this movie. As a long time G.I. Joe fan myself, this movie is good enough. Expand
JayHOct 28, 2009
Preposterous movie with a dumb plot that relies on special effects rather than substance. Way way too over the top. The performances are unimpressive and from a production stand point it
tomaOct 23, 2009
Really bad. i'm a big fan of action movies, but this isn't even three leagues below stuff like the bourne identity, face/off, x-men I and II, the die hard films, MI- II and III, the dark knight. this is a comic book/video game Really bad. i'm a big fan of action movies, but this isn't even three leagues below stuff like the bourne identity, face/off, x-men I and II, the die hard films, MI- II and III, the dark knight. this is a comic book/video game film. i'm forty, have an advanced degree, and have a high iq. still, i love great fighting (even blade trinity) and hot women in tight clothing. But GI Joe just doesn't cut it. att all. my single biggest problem is that i can't understand what tatum is saying. the guy doesn't enunciate. i can always understand hugh jackman, matt damon, gerard butler, clive owen, daniel craig, will smith, jessica biel, ryan reynolds, etc.. tatum just sounds dumb and uneducated, and lazy. he talks like a guy serving you fries with that at mcdonalds. maybe people under twenty-five can understand speech that sounds just like a string of vowels to me. also, it's way, way too busy. this is an explosion movie, not a fight movie. i like fight movies, and movies about spies. so, movies that involve ingenuity and calculated, agile violence. gi joe is less about action and more about imaginary weapons, like some call of duty 9. there aren't even chases in it. i love good car chases. i enjoy tomb raider. however, this is a new type of film that's all about CGI and weapons, and not much about human strength, agility, dexterity, or speed. there's so much CGI that nothing seems fast (like the car chase in gone in sixty seconds), because everything moving moves against a CGI backdrop. if you're under twenty-five and are acclimated to call of duty, you may enjoy this. if you like x-men, you'll be very disappointed. sienna miler, as always, is dazzlingly pretty. Expand
mauriciolOct 18, 2009
I had a good time seeing this movie, it was just what i expected, i mean its hard to live up to GI joe but they did.
sanjaykOct 16, 2009
It's very good.
ArmandMOct 12, 2009
Fantastic Film even that the story is a little not too much concern but action and graphics are superb.
RaniMOct 9, 2009
This movie can be resumed as: Good action + Bad script = Above-average movie.
YoJoeOct 4, 2009
If you enjoy Power Rangers this one is for you.
1 of 2 users found this helpful
BlakeSep 27, 2009
Great popcorn movie. Back stories of some of the main characters gave it a little more depth, and it was way better than transformers.
ChristosMSep 21, 2009
Now,Transformers might not have been much of a serious movie but at least you could use it's revolutionary visuals as a highly amusing experience.G.I joe,aside the fact it's mostly a disgusting american propaganda,also suffers from Now,Transformers might not have been much of a serious movie but at least you could use it's revolutionary visuals as a highly amusing experience.G.I joe,aside the fact it's mostly a disgusting american propaganda,also suffers from b-rated visuals,copmared to that of Transformers or the upcoming Avatar and silly,silly performances!That Step-Up guy is just horrible.I only pitty the Eiffel Tower! Expand
APersonSep 3, 2009
The fact that this is scoring 20 points less than Terminator Salvation is an absolute joke. At least GI Joe stays true to what made it's franchise good/popular, unlike that other film. Anyways, critics are going to hate this film The fact that this is scoring 20 points less than Terminator Salvation is an absolute joke. At least GI Joe stays true to what made it's franchise good/popular, unlike that other film. Anyways, critics are going to hate this film because it's a big, dumb, CGI-fueled extravanganza, but if you compare it to other big, dumb, CGI-fueled films, it's actually better than average. The characters and acting, while not brilliant, are solid enough (and better than you'd expect). The action scenes are exciting and the film is entertaining throughout, and while the story is highly predictable, at least there is a story there that makes sense and actually builds on things that it establishes instead of just forgetting about them (aka. Terminator Salvation, Dragonball Evolution, The Incredible Hulk, etc). Overall, if you've seen The Mummy, you know what to expect from this film- an above average and highly entertaining action film. If you like action films and feel like switching your brain off for a bit, go see it. Expand
ZachRAug 29, 2009
If your a fan of G.I. Joe from the 80's, you'll love this movie. For everyone else.. its only an slightly above average action movie. I'm rating this based on my love of G.I. Joe, and urge every fan to watch it...
SupernintendohAug 29, 2009
A 10, just because. People that give movies Zero' and for th Stupidest Reason. Horrible Acting, Worst Movie ever. Like if any of you can act any better. LOL, Oh and those who talk about being the worst movie ever. You guys and gals are A 10, just because. People that give movies Zero' and for th Stupidest Reason. Horrible Acting, Worst Movie ever. Like if any of you can act any better. LOL, Oh and those who talk about being the worst movie ever. You guys and gals are idiots. I bet you say that to every movie. Sure why not. I find Movies entertaining and Fun. I like to watch moveis not to see every picture prefect and in-perfect movie. I have seen bad and this does not come close to bad {BLOOD RAYNE ANYONE) Maybe i should call Uwe a 10 for every movie he makes. LOL. GI JOE, your OK. Expand
3 of 4 users found this helpful
robj.Aug 25, 2009
This movie was good for all family. About the same as Transformers 2.
SteveGAug 24, 2009
This is a big budget summer action movie with lots of well done special effects. It has a roller coaster kind of quality. But it is intellectually numbing and onlly slightly less insipid than the Transformer fiasco of earlier in the summer. This is a big budget summer action movie with lots of well done special effects. It has a roller coaster kind of quality. But it is intellectually numbing and onlly slightly less insipid than the Transformer fiasco of earlier in the summer. The funny thing is that it is clearly set up as the first of more than one of these. That's amazing. Expand
ShawnPAug 24, 2009
I liked it a lot. The fight scenes were cool and the speed chase was wicked. There were to many flash backs though.
JeremyB.Aug 23, 2009
I didn't see any reviews before watching, it was somewhat disappointing, since my nothing could compare with my childhood imagination, but I liked it. Military tactics were thrown out the window, things were done, that people in the I didn't see any reviews before watching, it was somewhat disappointing, since my nothing could compare with my childhood imagination, but I liked it. Military tactics were thrown out the window, things were done, that people in the military just wouldn't have done, to make things happen plotwise. But rating this as low as some reviewers did, makes me wonder what own their personal insecurities are. There was one 'actress' who was a supermodel, and shouldn't have had speaking roles, that was obvious, but otherwise most of the acting was decent. I saw it before noon for 6 bucks, it was worth it. Expand
CarolC.Aug 23, 2009
Is it futuristic? Yes. Is it special effects laden? Yes. Is the dialogue award winning? No. Is it entertaining enough for me to justify taking my family to see and spending our hard earned money (especially in this economy)? YES! We loved Is it futuristic? Yes. Is it special effects laden? Yes. Is the dialogue award winning? No. Is it entertaining enough for me to justify taking my family to see and spending our hard earned money (especially in this economy)? YES! We loved it. It might have been a touch long, but we go to the movies to be entertained and we were. If I want to use my brain, I pick up a book. I read over a hundred books a year, so this movie was a great way to spend 128 minutes with my husband and kids. Expand
DannyN.Aug 22, 2009
Very fun Movie. I came with a lot of expectations and it didn't fail me. As a longtime GI JOE fan (from the animated series and the comics books) I expected something and the movie delivered. Fun to watch, simple to understand, funny, Very fun Movie. I came with a lot of expectations and it didn't fail me. As a longtime GI JOE fan (from the animated series and the comics books) I expected something and the movie delivered. Fun to watch, simple to understand, funny, and great special effects Expand
AdrianT.Aug 22, 2009
Hey come on, it wasn't that BAD of a movie. How can Dragonball Evolution BEAT THIS? I mean yeah, half the movie was constructed in CGI and Channing Tatum ain't no Denzel, but still definitely worth my money. Remember it's Hey come on, it wasn't that BAD of a movie. How can Dragonball Evolution BEAT THIS? I mean yeah, half the movie was constructed in CGI and Channing Tatum ain't no Denzel, but still definitely worth my money. Remember it's roots people:- a line of military-themed articulated "action figures"? To take that and then having Sommers turn it into what it is now? Seriously, deserves better ratings. Thumbs-up Expand
DamianP.Aug 21, 2009
This movie isn't for adults. Every time I saw Dennis Quaid, I kept wondering if he's embarrassed at having this movie on his resume. It's about 25 years too late, and I'm not sure how much I would have liked it when I was This movie isn't for adults. Every time I saw Dennis Quaid, I kept wondering if he's embarrassed at having this movie on his resume. It's about 25 years too late, and I'm not sure how much I would have liked it when I was 9 or 10, but I'm pretty sure I would have given it a higher rating. Expand
ColinCAug 18, 2009
Good cheesy fun. Some of the jokes even made me smile. Good action scenes too. Sure, a few little moments pushed the cheese over the top, but still, a good summer popcorn flick to see on a big screen. If you liked the original Mummy, Good cheesy fun. Some of the jokes even made me smile. Good action scenes too. Sure, a few little moments pushed the cheese over the top, but still, a good summer popcorn flick to see on a big screen. If you liked the original Mummy, you'll probably like this. Expand
RobinVAug 18, 2009
Go see this movie! Fantastic summer rollercoaster ride with non-stop action and no long introductions of characters. It really reminded me of Star Trek which was an unexpected surprise as well. If you love action, sfx, ninjas, big battles Go see this movie! Fantastic summer rollercoaster ride with non-stop action and no long introductions of characters. It really reminded me of Star Trek which was an unexpected surprise as well. If you love action, sfx, ninjas, big battles like the star wars movies, the mummy movies also directed by stephen sommers for example you will adore this movie also because it is pretty faithfull, it catches the spirit completely, to the 80's cartoons unlike transformers 1 and 2. Yooo Joe! Expand
TomMAug 18, 2009
I went into this film not expecting much. It was better than I expected. My main complaint is that the special effects were not that great.
HamrikL.Aug 18, 2009
Just because critics disliked this film does not make this a bad film.I really enjoyed it.With action films you just watch the film and dont think too much.That's the point.It's not Schindler's List!
JimS.Aug 17, 2009
Horrible movie. All the money spent on this film was wasted. I've seen better acting, directing, and writing in community theater. The special effects were cheesey. Started yawning about half way through, thought about walking out; Horrible movie. All the money spent on this film was wasted. I've seen better acting, directing, and writing in community theater. The special effects were cheesey. Started yawning about half way through, thought about walking out; wished I had. No redeeming qualities. Expand
CayoHAug 17, 2009
I'm shocked at how the bandwagon effect is pushing reviewers to tear into smashingly good summer movie. I went into it expecting for total nonsense on the level of Transformers 2 and instead got a funny, well-acted, well-written action I'm shocked at how the bandwagon effect is pushing reviewers to tear into smashingly good summer movie. I went into it expecting for total nonsense on the level of Transformers 2 and instead got a funny, well-acted, well-written action flick with smashingly great special effects. A Must See Guilty Pleasure. Expand
KenSAug 16, 2009
If you have a brain with even the slightest bit of activity, you will not like this movie.
EricEAug 16, 2009
Didn't follow GI Joe lore much at all. The whole Baroness used to date Duke thing was dumb. In general it was a terrible adaptation. Hope they don't make any new ones.
DrakeGAug 16, 2009
Rotten Tomatoes gives a more accurate score of 49 based on 122 reviews.This movie was obviously not for everyone's taste.There were some really good scenes, like the car chase in Paris and the fight scenes with the Baroness and Scarlett Rotten Tomatoes gives a more accurate score of 49 based on 122 reviews.This movie was obviously not for everyone's taste.There were some really good scenes, like the car chase in Paris and the fight scenes with the Baroness and Scarlett to the fights with Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow.I actually liked it-it was hugely underrated.The acting wasn't bad.Sienna Miller and Storm Shadow acted very well. Expand
JGrantAug 16, 2009
I have no understanding whatsoever of critics.It's actually quite amusing.Honestly, the fact that a movie like Dragonball Evolution can get a higher average than G.I. Joe is beyond me!These critics just try to hard on thinking what they I have no understanding whatsoever of critics.It's actually quite amusing.Honestly, the fact that a movie like Dragonball Evolution can get a higher average than G.I. Joe is beyond me!These critics just try to hard on thinking what they think is "professional" expecting high art in movies where it cannot possibly be due.There is great action and it is pure entertainment.If your'e an action/adventure lover you'll enjoy this film. Expand
WalterAug 15, 2009
A very fun movie experience. All you people who gave this movie a 2 or lower because you're apparently too smart need to embrace your damn childhood a little bit. I had fun, and was entertained. Last I checked, that's what a movie A very fun movie experience. All you people who gave this movie a 2 or lower because you're apparently too smart need to embrace your damn childhood a little bit. I had fun, and was entertained. Last I checked, that's what a movie should accomplish. Expand
DarrenHAug 15, 2009
Too much much action and futuristic crap what is it with movies these days? Die Hard 4? Transformers 2? Too much computer technology shown in the film too much cgi Sienna Miller as the baroness is HOT!
JasonKAug 15, 2009
I give this movie a 10 because it knows what it's trying to be. It's a summer movie rollercoaster with loud booms and eye candy stunts and CGI. I grew up on the cartoon and it was a blast seeing it all come to life. Can't wait I give this movie a 10 because it knows what it's trying to be. It's a summer movie rollercoaster with loud booms and eye candy stunts and CGI. I grew up on the cartoon and it was a blast seeing it all come to life. Can't wait for the sequel!! Expand
NickR.Aug 15, 2009
Better than what i thought it would be, but considering the fact that i had the lowest expectations for this movie, isn't great.
SeanGAug 15, 2009
Ok well its no masterpeace but GI JOE: RISE OF COBRA is 1 thing a over the top film, no dout about it. The acting maybe dier but if you wont a simple explosive movie that will not challenge your brain to much then this is for you but if not, Ok well its no masterpeace but GI JOE: RISE OF COBRA is 1 thing a over the top film, no dout about it. The acting maybe dier but if you wont a simple explosive movie that will not challenge your brain to much then this is for you but if not, wate untill it limps on the shelfs of BlockBusters. Expand
JohnHAug 15, 2009
I think the people that go to a movie called G.I. Joe with expectations of cinema genius are the frickin morons. It's summer fun, okay. There's plenty of action, beautiful women and evil bad guys. Get some popcorn, sit back, relax I think the people that go to a movie called G.I. Joe with expectations of cinema genius are the frickin morons. It's summer fun, okay. There's plenty of action, beautiful women and evil bad guys. Get some popcorn, sit back, relax and enjoy. It's fun. Expand
NickGAug 15, 2009
It held my interest and was very entertaining.Critics who gave it a negative rating just exaggerated on it flaws.It wasn't bad at all-It was definately worth the money.
KaiKAug 15, 2009
There is not a single word in the dictionary that can describe how horrendous, awful, terrible, unbearable and painful this film is. From the start G.I Joe is a train wreck. unfortunately there is practically no redeeming quality's to There is not a single word in the dictionary that can describe how horrendous, awful, terrible, unbearable and painful this film is. From the start G.I Joe is a train wreck. unfortunately there is practically no redeeming quality's to this film. This Movie has terrible acting, terrible C.G.I, terrible story and terrible dialog. The movie at times was humorous and fun. The only thing this film barley got right was the action. Plenty of action scenes but this movie lacks everything else. By far the worst movie of the year. If there was a award for worst movie of the year G.I. would win hands down. it would blow the competition away. Expand
ShawnSAug 14, 2009
The most god-awful movie of the decade.... by far. Horrible actors. Horrible plot. Horrible movie.
KyleBAug 14, 2009
This movie was a badly directed acted and visually poorly done. the acting was mediocre and the visual effects were badly done. the slow motion action scenes were just badly done and i give it a thumbs down.
PhilSAug 14, 2009
You will have more fun brushing your teeth. This pile of refuse was absolutely one of the worst movies ever made. and its all been done before...MEGAFORCE...STREET FIGHTER...and TEAM AMERICA... if the rest of the world ends up believing this You will have more fun brushing your teeth. This pile of refuse was absolutely one of the worst movies ever made. and its all been done before...MEGAFORCE...STREET FIGHTER...and TEAM AMERICA... if the rest of the world ends up believing this is really how dumb the American military is, we're screwed. Expand
SMAug 14, 2009
Another attempt by big corporate execs to invest money into a stupid pile of garbage. I'm so sick of these very calculated big budget movies full of plotless storylines, crappy acting and actors filled with big special effects to keep Another attempt by big corporate execs to invest money into a stupid pile of garbage. I'm so sick of these very calculated big budget movies full of plotless storylines, crappy acting and actors filled with big special effects to keep the audience from walking out of their seats. This one is so bad, it might not matter. Consider District 9. Completely independent of financial backing of big studio, it has a solid storyline and the acting is solid. Very captivating. Don't see GI:Joe ever! Don't rent it when it is available. Let's hope a sequel never sees the light of day. Let's send a clear message to big studios that we don't want crap crammed down our throats. We want to see movies with a little integrity. Expand
BrettSAug 13, 2009
A great action movie. Better than Transformers 2.
JerodJAug 13, 2009
Pure popcorn entertainment. Definitely not a thinking man's film (if the concept of ice that sinks offends your intelligence, skip this flick), but as pure eye candy and cheesy fun this movie succeeds brilliantly. The acting and writing Pure popcorn entertainment. Definitely not a thinking man's film (if the concept of ice that sinks offends your intelligence, skip this flick), but as pure eye candy and cheesy fun this movie succeeds brilliantly. The acting and writing are deliciously over the top and totally cheesy, the action is loud and sparkly but far more cohesive than the caffeine-addled creature that was Transformers 2. Imagine that this movie is based on some of the battles and one-liners that you created as a 10-11 year old playing with the toys and you'll have a pretty good idea of what to expect, except on the big screen it's just as cool as you thought it was way back then. Cobra Commander is probably the best villian to hit the screen in a long time, from an unintentionally (or perhaps intentionally) hilarious point of view. Suspend your disbelief for the length of the movie and let the kid in you enjoy it ("not only do the suits let you run faster than a speeding car, they have fully automatic machine guns! Haha! Beat that, Cobra! *explosion noises*"). If you can do that, you'll love this flick. Expand
benjaminbAug 12, 2009
This is one of the worst movies ever made. I want my 9 dollars back, and I will stop at nothing to get it. Anyone who disagrees with me knows nothing about movies.
JudyTAug 12, 2009
One of the most painful movies I have ever sat through.
AlucardAug 12, 2009
Worst movie I have ever seen and I saw Transformers 2.
AndrewPAug 12, 2009
The only redeeming moment of this movie is when it ended. I have nothing to say that is the least bit favorable. Under no circumstances should you see this movie or even download form the internet for free.
bpAug 12, 2009
As a huge fan of the toys and a lover of bad movies, this is by far the worst movie I've ever seen. It's a sad day when Marlon Wayans is the best part of a movie (that's not a compliment Marlon). Start to finish this film (if As a huge fan of the toys and a lover of bad movies, this is by far the worst movie I've ever seen. It's a sad day when Marlon Wayans is the best part of a movie (that's not a compliment Marlon). Start to finish this film (if you can call it that) lacks on every level save for lighting. Kudos to the DP and Gaffer. As for Stephen Sommers, I wouldn't trust that guy with cleaning my bathroom, let alone a 175 million dollar movie. If I could give this a lower score I would. Expand
NinaBAug 12, 2009
I went on a weekday, the theater was full and everyone had a good time. How much more do you want from a summer action movie? The effects are spectacular, the women are beautiful, Channing Tatum holds down the star role. Come December I went on a weekday, the theater was full and everyone had a good time. How much more do you want from a summer action movie? The effects are spectacular, the women are beautiful, Channing Tatum holds down the star role. Come December I'll be ready to watch the Oscar contenders, but Joe delivers a rockin' summer night! Expand
SamuelSAug 12, 2009
Best action movie EVER!!! It was so detailed. Plot was easy to follow and well written. Acting phenomenal. Awesome movie.
LuizEAug 12, 2009
A Piece of FUN, a lot of action and great special effects, good history. Its 10 to me, enormously entertaining.
MichaelAAug 12, 2009
A fun action flick with cool chase scene, but unfortunately balanced with dumb one liner, stupid dialogues, and robotic acting.
KellyJAug 11, 2009
I loved the movie the same way a mother loves her special needs son. I grew up on GI Joe and while there were plenty of eye roller moments, I freaking LOVED seeing my favorite cartoon come to life. I enjoyed turning off my adult senses of I loved the movie the same way a mother loves her special needs son. I grew up on GI Joe and while there were plenty of eye roller moments, I freaking LOVED seeing my favorite cartoon come to life. I enjoyed turning off my adult senses of taste and now I finally understand why some people liked Transformers 2. Expand