7.8

1. ChadS.
    Aug 16, 2003
    "Gigantic: A Tale of Two Johns", unfortunately, reminded me why my infatuation with They Might Be Giants ended with their fifth album "John Henry". The film takes its own sweet time in stating their case about why the two Johns are worthy of a full-length film because director Al Schnack holds back the songs that belong in anybody's notion of an alternative rock canon for far too "Gigantic: A Tale of Two Johns", unfortunately, reminded me why my infatuation with They Might Be Giants ended with their fifth album "John Henry". The film takes its own sweet time in stating their case about why the two Johns are worthy of a full-length film because director Al Schnack holds back the songs that belong in anybody's notion of an alternative rock canon for far too long. But then you see the videos, and if you're a fan, you remember oohing and aahing over the printed lyrics for "Lincoln" and "Flood". "Birdhouse in Your Soul", "Don't Let Start", and especially, "Ana Ng" still sound breathtakingly catchy and smart. But even the most loyal fan must admit that they're better heard on record than live. This is why "Gigantic: A Tale of Two Johns" fails to make its case about this seminal band's greatness. "Dad palindrome dad, I palindrome I," is my favorite lyric of all-time, but alas, "The Guitar" alone, represents "Apollo 13". If you're not a fan of the band, or know what the so-called underground was like before punk broke, "Gigantic: A Tale of Two Johns" will baffle you as to the significance of John Flansburg and John Linnell. And that's not beautiful. Expand

These live performances and classic music videos drive home the point that part of the Giants' longevity flows from the fact that they can't be explained, only experienced.
    Loaded with tons of personal stories told by both Johns (the two main members of They Might Be Giants) as well as people within the music industry.
  3. Gigantic has the informal tone and structure of an illustrated scrapbook with excerpts from concert and television performances interwoven with lighthearted testimonials by friends, supporters, collaborators and admirers and augmented by witty animated segments.