7.9

1. Jan 25, 2014
    Luckily for Vanessa Hudgens (“Spring Breakers” 2013) she has broken out of her Disney princess shell and transformed herself into a bonafide actress with real credentials.She proves that she has completely left her amateur puppy Disney HSM acting and moved on to bigger future roles that will certainly give her a lot of career options, maybe an Oscar too. And why not? In Gimme Shelter, Vanessa Hudgens, as an actress, portrays all the emotions and characteristics that the Academy of Arts want to see. I wont be surprised if I see Hudgens taking at least a nomination for her stunning, breath taking performance. Expand
  2. Jan 29, 2014
    Saw Gimme Shelter over the weekend. Like other reviewers, I was astonished by Vanessa Hudgens' abilities! She's come a long way from her Disney song and dance days. I was even impressed with Brendan Fraser's performance. Rosario Dawson, as always, pulls out all the stops portraying Hudgens' drugged out mother.

Reading the critic reviews, I was a bit disappointed by the negative
    reception, with many labeling this film as "religious" with a "right-winged" agenda. Yes, the shelter Hudgens' character ends up at is a Catholic facility, but there is little to no discussion of Christianity or religion at all in the story. Plus, this is based on a *true story*, so the writer/director cannot ignore the roots of the shelter founder's beliefs. The film is truly about a lost soul finding a family-- not God. It's inspirational and hands down, a must see. Expand
  3. Jan 29, 2014
    Vanessa Hudgens really transformed herself for this role. She blew me away with her portrayal of a lonely, struggling teen. The cast gave outstanding performances all around. This was an inspiring film that I would highly recommend that everyone see.
  4. Jan 29, 2014
    I agree with a lot of the other users - Vanessa Hudgens was incredible. It's a good story (based on a true story) with a good cast, including Rosario Dawson, James Earl Jones, Dascha Polanco, and Brendan Fraser. An indie flick packing a major punch, it deserves to be given a chance by moviegoers.
  5. Jan 31, 2014
    Kudos to Ron Krauss for his production and to Vanessa Hudgens for an outstanding performance in a movie that clearly demonstrates that there are choices and their are people with hearts of compassion. Hudgens performance in my opinion was stellar! She is no longer a Disney "princess!" She has stepped up to the plate and hit a home run!
  6. Jan 31, 2014
    This is an amazing film. It reveals the hardships many young women and girls have to face, but takes you on a journey of hope. The movie gives you a dose of reality. It is truthful and might even cause a few tears! I liked that is was easy to relate to and connect with. As everyone has been saying, Vanessa Hudgens' performance is beautiful. I've seen some reviews that call Gimme Shelter political propaganda, but I saw it as a film that encourages hope when everything seems hopeless. Definitely worth seeing. Expand
  7. May 4, 2014
    Professional reviewer wrote a lot of negative critics because politics & religion about ABORTION. But WTF Seriously we don't care about that questions just now, a movie is a entertainment so just relax yourself and appreciate the show guys...then ... for my review now : I want to say It's just a great movie mainly because the drama is solid, realistic, the actors are all excellent especially Vanessa Hudgen, she's even great as she was in the last movie "The Frozen Ground". I'm impressed by her performance , I think I'm turning fan *_* Expand

1. Reviewed by: Ignatiy Vishnevetsky
    Jan 26, 2014
    There’s nothing wrong with social-cause filmmaking, and the movie’s chief problem is less its political talking points than the corny way it tries to impart them.
  2. Reviewed by: Ronnie Scheib
    Jan 24, 2014
    The film is hamstrung by its fidelity to real-life inspirational models.
  3. Reviewed by: Sheila O'Malley
    Jan 24, 2014
    The film never says the words "pro-life" or "pro-choice." It genuinely seems to be about how the system has broken down entirely, and how sometimes it is up to privately funded charities to provide a light at the end of the tunnel.