8.8

1. Aug 5, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I saw the film really late. The dialogues, the action scenes, the action, and the direction, wow, everything is absolutely terrific. "What we do in life, echoes in eternity". The best dialogue I have ever heard, so Philosophical, so Strengthening, so Inspiring, and just so Wonderful. I'd love to watch it all over again and again. The film is Remarkably great. I think enough said !! Expand
  2. Sep 25, 2011
    "Gladiator" is just your average Rome summer flick, between all those massive action and masterful dialogue.
  3. Jun 1, 2012
    My favorite movie of all time. Every time I watch it I'm entranced all over again.
  4. Jan 7, 2011
    A really great movie. Who would think that something as ridiculous as gladiators could garner so much critical acclaim and an Oscar for best actor. It shows just how good Crowe is. Props to Joaquin Pheonix as well.
  5. Apr 16, 2012
    You will be hard pressed to find a better cast within such an epic summer film. Both Russell Crowe and Joaquin Phoenix are incredibly brilliant in their respective roles, however Phoenix deserves tons of props for pulling off a convincing evil emporer. Connie Nielsen almost steals the show at times while playing Lucille (Commodus' sister). When all the dust settles from brutal voilence (in the name of good sport), Gladiator stands as one of the most excellently crafted films and will likely hold its place in time as one of the greatest war/action films ever. Ridley Scott got this one right. Expand
  6. Mar 16, 2013
    Gladiator is one of the best movies of all time. It's flawlessly directed and features some of the most memorable performances ever committed to film. The action is grisly but not gratuitous in any way. The fights on offer here are integral to the story. There is so much emotional gravitas in the final battle that it might well be the greatest end fight in movie history. Basically speaking, Gladiator is perfect. Expand
  7. Mar 30, 2011
    Gladiator is a triump of a film that excells in every catagory. Gladiator has talented acting, great plot, Beautiful music and superb action scenes. Ridley scott's best film until Robin Hood in 2010. I really enjoy watching this film.
  8. Aug 14, 2011
    The best film I've ever seen....it has the truly best making sense parts....and the honor , physical and conscience power of REAL man , endurance, friendship , love , love of father to son- son to father, love to his family of REAL man, revenge , betrayal and etc. ....
    But just little disadvantage in this film: it may be just little long , running little more than 2 hours......
  9. Nov 4, 2011
    This is a classic and an amazing movie that could have nearly managed a 9. The score/ soundtrack is one of the best I've heard in any movie, and the fast paced action scenes are intense and violent. The set and the storyline is brilliant and really well done. The movie is a bit overrated in some ways but never the less, this movie is one that you have to say you've seen.
  10. Oct 31, 2011
    "Gladiator" definitely is a classic-modern epic film as it combines a simple, but moving, story with beautiful scenery, filming, direction and score â
  11. Nov 5, 2011
    It is best movie i ever watch. aswm dialogues,screen play is good. One of the rarest movies.
    It is an inspiring, mesmerizing, beautiful, action packed flick. It is about strength, honor, courage betratal, ruthlessness, survival, and even incest! This is the type of movie thatll motivate you to fight for what you live for because as gladiator said it best "what we do in life, echoes in eternity".
  12. Feb 29, 2012
    The Oscar-winning motion picture is full of style, the intense-graphic combat sequences are surprisingly epic and well-performed, full of ambition, and well designed from the beginning to the end.
  13. Dec 2, 2011
    Stop just Stop... this is masterpiece... this is one of few movies that impressed me, it even put some tears in my eyes. I will risk and say THIS IS ONE OF THE BEST MOVIES.Stop complaining, this the best movie from 2000-2011...
  14. Nov 8, 2012
    Gladiator is not only a captivating, startling historical epic, it is also exciting and entertaining.
  15. Dec 17, 2012
    This film is about a general who became a slave, then he became a gladiator. Maximus wants to take revenge about his son and his wife who have been murdered from the young emperor who has also killed his father Marcus. It is a great film.
  16. Oct 23, 2010
    Not sure I am really into these sandy classic epics from civilisations gone by. For sure, Crowe does a great job but by the end of the movie I was getting a little restless and I struggled to realise why it had gone for as long as it had.â
  17. Aug 21, 2010
    This piece of rubbish narrowly edges out 'Hurt locker' as the worst movie ever to win an academy award. Cliche after gut-wrenching cliche...
    Joaquin Phoenix's villain is so comical that I was waiting for him to raise his pinky finger to the corner of his lip 'Dr Evil' style and say "one million dollars".
    Crap. Plain and simple.
  18. Feb 13, 2011
    Best of all time:

Lead actor (Rusell Crowe)
    Soundtrack (Hans Zimmer)
    Screenplay (Ridley Scott)
    Suport actor (Joaquin Phoenix) This movie is definetly my favourite movie of all time!!
  19. May 29, 2011
    It's worthwhile to start saying that the movie is not. Ie: "Gladiator" is not merely a collection of fighting at the Coliseum in Rome, more or less of spectacular via special effects. And what is it? A real tragedy of inner power, underpinned by a subtle and intelligent argument that favors relations backstage and shades of political discourse. Gladiator is a true intimate epic, served by some remarkable compositions of his cast, especially almost inevitable for Joaquin Phoenix, impeccable characterization of a tissue power of ambition, blindness and fear. Ultimately, we are faced with a symphonic work whose themes and variations are wonderfully scored music by Hans Zimmer and Lisa Gerrard. Moreover, it is always interesting to watch the rising of a star - Russell Crowe. Expand
  20. May 20, 2011
    Gladiator never ceases to amaze, even after repeated viewing - there's always something new to savour in this sumptuous historical epic. You're yanked by the toga into Ridley Scott's vision of Ancient Rome right from the off, and first-rate performances from the whole cast (particularly Crowe, Phoenix and Reed), a tight screenplay, a wonderfully emotive score, in addition to brilliantly choreographed and terrifically brutal fight scenes makes Gladiator a truly spectacular masterclass in film entertainment. Expand
  21. Mar 1, 2014
    One of my dearest movies ever. Awesome, with great characters and an intriguing story, Gladiator is just perfect art by actor and director. Russel Crowe and Joaquin Phoenix both are terrific.
  22. Feb 9, 2013
    One-half of the movie Gladiator is utter brilliant film-making; the other half is cliche Hollywood action-blockbuster. Good thing there was more of the brilliance than the cliches.
  23. May 10, 2013
    i dont get the critic reviews this is the best movie ever a stunding story nice places and a extreme ending where you can cry if you like good music extreme good acting its just awsome if you dident so the movie yet go watch it now
  24. Jun 3, 2013
    Best movie of all time enough said. Acting was brilliant. It shows chivalry and the heart of a champion in every scene. It's intense emotional triumph. Should have won more oscars.
  25. Aug 25, 2011
    Analyzing Ridley Scott's past films, you can draw that conclusion that when it comes to technical mastery, he is simply a genius. Analyzing again, he also shows little understanding of the way characters play off one another and how to look for stories with depth beneath all the tech. This is especially true in Gladiator, a movie with all the buildings for a boneheaded, kistchy, action-packed gorefest. If only Scott and Crowe realized that the movie is that as it is, rather trying to disguise it by trying to make it a drama, and a clunky one at that. Expand
  26. Sep 19, 2013
    You will be hard pressed to find a better cast within such an epic summer film. Both Russell Crowe and Joaquin Phoenix are incredibly brilliant in their respective roles, however Phoenix deserves tons of props for pulling off a convincing evil emporer. Connie Nielsen almost steals the show at times while playing Lucille (Commodus' sister). When all the dust settles from brutal voilence (in the name of good sport), Gladiator stands as one of the most excellently crafted films and will likely hold its place in time as one of the greatest war/action films ever. Ridley Scott got this one right Expand
  27. Nov 5, 2013
    "Gladiator" has a brilliant cast and is brilliantly made. The movie is powerful and deeply emotional. With that, we have an excellent script and plot, accurate historical information on gladiators, and some intense bloody gladiator fights.
  28. Jul 6, 2012
    "Gladiator" brings me to understand why so many knowledgable people have been apprehensive to agree when I
  29. Feb 21, 2014
    Honestly, this one took a little bit for me to get into. It was never outright like, "Wow this is horrible," but it just did not manage to grip me. However, it eventually finally sank its teeth into me. First off, I loved the score. The score was so perfect for this film and really helped bring the film to life. In addition, the fight sequences were brilliantly choreographed and I also appreciate that while of course there has to be a lot of blood, it was never gratuitous. As for the acting, Russell Crowe did a really great job as Maximus, but for me, Joaquin Phoenix outshined him. Phoenix brought the consciously evil Commodus to life. I also loved seeing Tommy Flanagan in a small role here, as I love his current work in the TV series "Sons of Anarchy". Another plus for this film was certainly the screenplay. Tons of quotable lines and great speeches really helped to amplify this film.

My complaints would likely center around the forced and unnecessary romance. It did not help move the film forward in the least. In terms of providing character history, it works, but as the action unfolds, it no longer really serves a purpose and felt like excess. In addition, the aforementioned slow beginning sequence was not overly to my liking, though I certainly understand why it is there and cannot complain over its conclusion. It simply did not provide the necessary spark to grab the viewers attention in my mind, but regardless, its importance is clear. Other than that, while typically top-notch, the CGI at times was noticeable with some unrealistic deaths along the way, but that is to be expected, as no film is perfect.

Overall, Gladiator is a very good film that proves that these types of films can be done successfully if enough work is put into them. Very deserving of the praise it has received without a doubt.
  30. May 19, 2013
    A decent movie, with good acting, exciting action, a large scale, and moments of brilliance sprinkled throughout, but it's also a film which contains a lot of bland and boring sections. At times Gladiator can have a great atmosphere, but it doesn't like to stick with it nearly as often as it should. The visual effects add a tremendous upgrade to the scale of things but are very inconsistent. They range from barely passable to impressive. The best visual effects scene is probably the one where the gladiators enter the coliseum for their first time. Like I mentioned before the sword fights are very good and the performances are also good, but there is too much which is uninspired in this good movie for it to become great. It's full potential has been denied. It still might've deserved best picture for its year though. Expand
  31. Jul 14, 2013
    I watched this movie with other epics like Braveheart in mind. I would think this would be a fair comparison but perhaps I should have seen it without trying to compare it with the likes of Braveheart, because this movie is a passionless, murky experience.

When I watch the whole movie with a scowl on my face from squinting to much to see what is going on in the murkyness of the action
    and for the convoluted tone of the movie.. it's not a good sign.

So the issues: a pouty, uninspiring villian, murky, difficult to discern special fx and battle scenes, a convoluted plot and poor pacing.

Why then not a really low score like a 1-4 out of ten? Because Russell Crowe did do a good job, looking bold and also grizzly, and when I could discern what was happening and the movie focussed on the final battle sequence, it was involving.
  32. Nov 17, 2013
    One of the best movies ever made, no one will forget this one. Gladiator is an accurate display of the struggle of gladiators and the extent of power of the Roman empire. It also shows the amount of power the emperor had and the amazing story of Maximus and his final struggle for justice.
  33. Mar 22, 2014
    to this day I still think this is the best movie that has ever been made, I love this film and I don't see that changing with all these terrible films that are coming out, if you have not seen this film you need to
  34. Jan 11, 2014
    Adorei o filme cheio de aventura romance ação, em relação ao original e melhor

mas ainda gosto de filmes de Época onde mostra algo mais real ok valeu
  35. Feb 23, 2014
    The virtue and the rye, the leitmotivs of this beautiful piece of art. A man fighting for an idea, not for revenge, but for honor, for the glory of the empire. A man that throughout his veins flows the genuine royal blood, despite the fact he is from a provence conquered by Romans. Betrayed by the state he fought for, the true gladiator reborn from it's own ashes unleashes the warrior led by courage, wisdom, justice and temperance. A story of everyday life, in which every noble goal must succeed. Expand
  36. Apr 18, 2014
    this is why the Romans are the longest lasting empire the values, honor and courage are bred in and even when there is no chance the fighting spirit never gives up.

1. The script by producer David Franzoni, John Logan, and William Nicholson is serviceable but not exactly inspired.
    Filled with brilliant filmmaking and features outstanding performances, but it's neither profound enough nor pop enough to be great -- it's mournful, serious, beautiful and, finally, pointless.
    Lacks emotional depth and sweep -- but the movie still delivers the type of rousing, large-scale adventure that marked the best films of its kind