8.7

1. AtticusM.
    Feb 4, 2009
    Wow. Washington Post, get some taste in film.
  2. Mar 30, 2011
    Gladiator is a triump of a film that excells in every catagory. Gladiator has talented acting, great plot, Beautiful music and superb action scenes. Ridley scott's best film until Robin Hood in 2010. I really enjoy watching this film.
  3. Apr 16, 2012
    You will be hard pressed to find a better cast within such an epic summer film. Both Russell Crowe and Joaquin Phoenix are incredibly brilliant in their respective roles, however Phoenix deserves tons of props for pulling off a convincing evil emporer. Connie Nielsen almost steals the show at times while playing Lucille (Commodus' sister). When all the dust settles from brutal voilenceYou will be hard pressed to find a better cast within such an epic summer film. Both Russell Crowe and Joaquin Phoenix are incredibly brilliant in their respective roles, however Phoenix deserves tons of props for pulling off a convincing evil emporer. Connie Nielsen almost steals the show at times while playing Lucille (Commodus' sister). When all the dust settles from brutal voilence (in the name of good sport), Gladiator stands as one of the most excellently crafted films and will likely hold its place in time as one of the greatest war/action films ever. Ridley Scott got this one right. Expand
  4. Mar 16, 2013
    Gladiator is one of the best movies of all time. It's flawlessly directed and features some of the most memorable performances ever committed to film. The action is grisly but not gratuitous in any way. The fights on offer here are integral to the story. There is so much emotional gravitas in the final battle that it might well be the greatest end fight in movie history. BasicallyGladiator is one of the best movies of all time. It's flawlessly directed and features some of the most memorable performances ever committed to film. The action is grisly but not gratuitous in any way. The fights on offer here are integral to the story. There is so much emotional gravitas in the final battle that it might well be the greatest end fight in movie history. Basically speaking, Gladiator is perfect. Expand
  5. Aug 14, 2011
    The best film I've ever seen....it has the truly best making sense parts....and the honor , physical and conscience power of REAL man , endurance, friendship , love , love of father to son- son to father, love to his family of REAL man, revenge , betrayal and etc. ....
    But just little disadvantage in this film: it may be just little long , running little more than 2 hours......
  6. Nov 4, 2011
    This is a classic and an amazing movie that could have nearly managed a 9. The score/ soundtrack is one of the best I've heard in any movie, and the fast paced action scenes are intense and violent. The set and the storyline is brilliant and really well done. The movie is a bit overrated in some ways but never the less, this movie is one that you have to say you've seen.
  7. Oct 31, 2011
    "Gladiator" definitely is a classic-modern epic film as it combines a simple, but moving, story with beautiful scenery, filming, direction and score â
  8. Nov 5, 2011
    It is best movie i ever watch. aswm dialogues,screen play is good. One of the rarest movies.
  9. Feb 29, 2012
    The Oscar-winning motion picture is full of style, the intense-graphic combat sequences are surprisingly epic and well-performed, full of ambition, and well designed from the beginning to the end.
  10. Dec 2, 2011
    Stop just Stop... this is masterpiece... this is one of few movies that impressed me, it even put some tears in my eyes. I will risk and say THIS IS ONE OF THE BEST MOVIES.Stop complaining, this the best movie from 2000-2011...
  11. JohnS.
    Feb 21, 2008
    I loved this movie!!!! I just can't believe Roger F-ing Ebert didn't.
  12. MichaelC.
    Feb 3, 2001
    Amazingly beautiful, brutally honest, Gladiator is an excellent look at old Hollywood meets new Hollywood.
  13. TimG.
    Dec 3, 2003
    This is a great movie. Wonderful technical detail and good performances all around, especially by Crowe and Phoenix. It is being underrated around here. The spiritually and politcal sub-plots of the movie are quite nice, adding to the wonderfully done action sequences. The ending was moving and appropriate as well. Definitely among the very top of 2000.
  14. EllenS.
    Sep 6, 2006
    This movie captured the brutal life of Romans and how honor and fame could be accomplished by being the best gladiator. Russel Crowe did a brillant job.
  15. Feb 13, 2011
    Best of all time:

Lead actor (Rusell Crowe)
    Soundtrack (Hans Zimmer)
    Screenplay (Ridley Scott)
    Suport actor (Joaquin Phoenix) This movie is definetly my favourite movie of all time!!
  16. May 29, 2011
    It's worthwhile to start saying that the movie is not. Ie: "Gladiator" is not merely a collection of fighting at the Coliseum in Rome, more or less of spectacular via special effects. And what is it? A real tragedy of inner power, underpinned by a subtle and intelligent argument that favors relations backstage and shades of political discourse. Gladiator is a true intimate epic, served byIt's worthwhile to start saying that the movie is not. Ie: "Gladiator" is not merely a collection of fighting at the Coliseum in Rome, more or less of spectacular via special effects. And what is it? A real tragedy of inner power, underpinned by a subtle and intelligent argument that favors relations backstage and shades of political discourse. Gladiator is a true intimate epic, served by some remarkable compositions of his cast, especially almost inevitable for Joaquin Phoenix, impeccable characterization of a tissue power of ambition, blindness and fear. Ultimately, we are faced with a symphonic work whose themes and variations are wonderfully scored music by Hans Zimmer and Lisa Gerrard. Moreover, it is always interesting to watch the rising of a star - Russell Crowe. Expand
  17. May 20, 2011
    Gladiator never ceases to amaze, even after repeated viewing - there's always something new to savour in this sumptuous historical epic. You're yanked by the toga into Ridley Scott's vision of Ancient Rome right from the off, and first-rate performances from the whole cast (particularly Crowe, Phoenix and Reed), a tight screenplay, a wonderfully emotive score, in addition to brilliantlyGladiator never ceases to amaze, even after repeated viewing - there's always something new to savour in this sumptuous historical epic. You're yanked by the toga into Ridley Scott's vision of Ancient Rome right from the off, and first-rate performances from the whole cast (particularly Crowe, Phoenix and Reed), a tight screenplay, a wonderfully emotive score, in addition to brilliantly choreographed and terrifically brutal fight scenes makes Gladiator a truly spectacular masterclass in film entertainment. Expand
  18. Mar 1, 2014
    One of my dearest movies ever. Awesome, with great characters and an intriguing story, Gladiator is just perfect art by actor and director. Russel Crowe and Joaquin Phoenix both are terrific.
  19. May 10, 2013
    i dont get the critic reviews this is the best movie ever a stunding story nice places and a extreme ending where you can cry if you like good music extreme good acting its just awsome if you dident so the movie yet go watch it now
  20. Jun 3, 2013
    Best movie of all time enough said. Acting was brilliant. It shows chivalry and the heart of a champion in every scene. It's intense emotional triumph. Should have won more oscars.
  21. Mar 22, 2014
    to this day I still think this is the best movie that has ever been made, I love this film and I don't see that changing with all these terrible films that are coming out, if you have not seen this film you need to
  22. Sam
    Sep 21, 2001
    I think this was a fine movie. The finest actor in the movie was Phoenix, and personally I don't think Crowe should have gotten the award.
  23. Hankster
    Jan 10, 2002
    All you Crackers who give this movie anything less than a 9 really don't know anything about movies. Gladiator is a MOVIE...and one of the greatest of all time. Nobody said it was a true story or based on anything but strength and honour. SO WAKE UP CRACKERS!
  24. DaveC.
    Aug 2, 2003
    Though this is not by any stretch of the imagination one of the worst epics ever made, it still falls victim to everything that is bad about epics. It's overblown, overly lavish (especially for such a downbeat story), pretentious, full of expensive sequences that look cheap, draws out its thin plot over too long a time (even though it barely clocks two and a half hours), completely Though this is not by any stretch of the imagination one of the worst epics ever made, it still falls victim to everything that is bad about epics. It's overblown, overly lavish (especially for such a downbeat story), pretentious, full of expensive sequences that look cheap, draws out its thin plot over too long a time (even though it barely clocks two and a half hours), completely style over substance and hopelessly wrapped up in itself. Still, it's worth seeing for its fabulous performances from Crowe, Stone and Phoenix and its beautiful sets cinematography, even though they overwhelm any miniscule amount of tension or emotional impact the story could have had. Expand
  25. DanM
    Dec 20, 2004
    I guess Pat C has never heard inspiring your men.
  26. m.tobin
    Oct 23, 2004
    My only complaint is with Pat C. Braveheart is one of the great movies off all time and deserves universal praise. gladiator can at sometimes be forumlaic but all the same it is an excellent film. if u havnt seen it- do so.
  27. RyanL.
    Feb 17, 2004
    AMAZING FILM.
  28. EveningSun
    May 25, 2004
    Ridley Scott does not disappoint. This beautiful roman epic is in my opinion the greatest entry in the 'Braveheart' genre, and a worthy winner of the 2000 Best Picture Academy Award. This is Scott on the peak of his career.
  29. MikeP.
    Jan 5, 2007
    This could have been my most favorite movie of all time!!!!!!!!! You people who gave this a 2 or a 1 must have been drunk or something when you watched it.
  30. Bangell
    Mar 25, 2008
    An amazing movie on all fronts - the action is thrilling, and the film gets to you in such a way, that I was shouting at my TV when the guy cheats at the end. Powerful and gripping. Watch it if you like Roman history, or you like action, or you're just looking for an awesome movie.
  31. AlecR.
    Jul 28, 2008
    This movie is incredibly good, I dont know what peoples problems are... a 64/100? pathetic. this movie owns... and if you think it was a horrible plot you don't know what a good story is. I don't get into my movies, but even this one made me sad at the end.... and excellent movie overall.... the academy awards say it all, and unlike critics, I trust in the Academy Awards.
  32. JoelH.
    Jul 3, 2008
    What a remarkable cinematic journey. A mediocre plot can only get you so far. But with endless battle scenes featuring chariots; the possibilities are endless.
  33. AJ
    Oct 27, 2001
    Russel Crowe acted great in this movie. This movie is moving, but best of all gruesome and bloody!!!
  34. WimV.
    Feb 17, 2001
    I already was in love with the colluseum, now i've got the feeling my love came alive again.
  35. BlancoA.
    Feb 3, 2001
    There's no doubt, this was a good movie. But why did it feel like the coliseum scenes were one big video game? All that computer generated scenery annoyed the hell out of me. Connie Nielson was outstanding, however. She saved the movie for me.
  36. JoeP.
    Feb 3, 2001
    This movie has to be one of the best I've ever seen and one of the best of all time. How a stupid Childrens Movie, like Chicken Run, that has no reality whatsoever, can get a higher rating than Gladiator is such a disgrace. That what's wrong with have old, corporate scumbags who don't know a thing about movies criticizing them.
  37. CharlesP.
    Feb 9, 2001
    An excellent pictorial rendition of the life of a Roman soldier during that period of history. Also it portrays the reality of how little a human life represents. If your a problem, eliminate you.
  38. RyanM.
    Jul 11, 2001
    Holds you by your neck for two and a half hours. Great action sequences and good story line make it a dazzling, entertaining, and extremely wild ride.
  39. EricS.
    Aug 11, 2002
    If only Stanley Kubrick, director of "Spartacus," had the technology to make his film look as great as "Gladiator," his film would not have been doomed by the cornball appearance that overshadowed it's obvious human emotions. "Gladiator" is at the opposite end of the spectrum, boasting incredible, realistic action scenes, but containing characters who are rather cardboard and cliche, If only Stanley Kubrick, director of "Spartacus," had the technology to make his film look as great as "Gladiator," his film would not have been doomed by the cornball appearance that overshadowed it's obvious human emotions. "Gladiator" is at the opposite end of the spectrum, boasting incredible, realistic action scenes, but containing characters who are rather cardboard and cliche, albeit well acted. As a period piece, "Gladiator" triumphs, but as a human drama, it is only average. It doesn't take a genius to realize that there are at least ten films more deservant of the Best Picture Academy Award it received. Alas, despite the accolades "Ben-Hur" received, the perfect Ancient Rome picture has yet to be made. Rating: *** Expand
  40. Andrew
    Apr 16, 2004
    One-half of the movie Gladiator is utter brilliant film-making; the other half is cliche Hollywood action-blockbuster. Now, what half was brilliant? The political story line with Commodus- Joaquin Phoenix plays the most deliciously evil character to ever hit the silver screen, and is worthy of my complete praise. The art direction is fantastic, the costuming highly accurate and beautiful, One-half of the movie Gladiator is utter brilliant film-making; the other half is cliche Hollywood action-blockbuster. Now, what half was brilliant? The political story line with Commodus- Joaquin Phoenix plays the most deliciously evil character to ever hit the silver screen, and is worthy of my complete praise. The art direction is fantastic, the costuming highly accurate and beautiful, and subtle symbolism is littered thoughout (especially with Commodus' costumes). This half of the story line is quite complex and very intiguing. But then we get to the other half... Russel Crowe is easily the most over-rated actor in recent times. He has two expressions in each one of his films: "I'm too cool for this", or "What's going on???". The character of Maximus has been done numerous times in film, and there's nothing new here. Sure, the action scenes were cool, but we've seen it all before (except this time it's more violent and we get to see people getting impaled and butchered). And I must admit that scenes right before battles are very well done and highly suspensful. So, this half is just another action-adventure, but it's a pretty good one at that, albeit a but boring and redundant. And I must not forget Connie Nielson; great job! Expand
  41. garyoldmenrover
    May 16, 2004
    Darn good movie. I especially liked the emotionality of Maximus (Russel Crowe). Russel Crowe acts fascinating and in mine opinion ONE of the best (nothing can top Robert de Niro! although he is slowly going down). His dialogue with his rusty voice is impressive. The dialogue between Maxmus and his new black-skinned friend is entertaining. Talking about their family, heaven, god etc. It isDarn good movie. I especially liked the emotionality of Maximus (Russel Crowe). Russel Crowe acts fascinating and in mine opinion ONE of the best (nothing can top Robert de Niro! although he is slowly going down). His dialogue with his rusty voice is impressive. The dialogue between Maxmus and his new black-skinned friend is entertaining. Talking about their family, heaven, god etc. It is a shame that Gladiator 2 will leave Russel Crowe out (he died in the end of the first part), he was the hightlight of the movie. Oh well...... Expand
  42. GaborA.
    Jun 6, 2004
    It was no Braveheart but emotion is rarely this entertaining.
  43. PeterJ.
    Jan 20, 2005
    Simply put, one of the best movies of all time.
  44. CB
    Jan 7, 2005
    Very inspiring movie!
  45. edm.
    Mar 19, 2005
    One of the absolutely best movies of all time!!
  46. EricS
    May 21, 2005
    This is, in my opinion, one of the best movies of all time. There are so many universal themes touched on, and yet none of them feel forced. You have to actually think to fully get this movie, and this is why some people didn't like it. This is no typical blockbuster. "Gladiator" isn't like so many other films where everything is spelled out to you in forced dialogue. The action This is, in my opinion, one of the best movies of all time. There are so many universal themes touched on, and yet none of them feel forced. You have to actually think to fully get this movie, and this is why some people didn't like it. This is no typical blockbuster. "Gladiator" isn't like so many other films where everything is spelled out to you in forced dialogue. The action was good too, but that's not what really stands out. "Gladiator" is a Ridley Scott epic at its best, and you owe it to yourself to buy or rent the DVD/video. This movie is a classic and will hopefully be remembered for its brilliance. Expand
  47. JaredB.
    Nov 10, 2007
    Wow. This movie is terrific. Everything, from the writing to the acting, is sheer perfection. The battle scenes are extremely graphic, but awesome nonetheless. If you have never seen this movie, I strongly suggest checking it out as soon as possible. Trust me, you'll love it.
  48. MichaelC.
    Apr 18, 2007
    This is truly the best movie I have ever seen. It was so good, I watced it another time after I saw it the first time. And also, this is the first movie in which I got the whole theme, I usually have to be told. The ending was quite a surprise to me, I was expecting it to end in a completely different way (I think this would happen to you, only if you know your Roman history. The ending isThis is truly the best movie I have ever seen. It was so good, I watced it another time after I saw it the first time. And also, this is the first movie in which I got the whole theme, I usually have to be told. The ending was quite a surprise to me, I was expecting it to end in a completely different way (I think this would happen to you, only if you know your Roman history. The ending is very emotional, and dramatic. I really reccomend this movie to anyone. Don't pay any attention to those who give this movie below and 8.5/10. They don't know what they are talking about. Expand
  49. DylanF.
    Nov 30, 2008
    I cant believe this movie is a 64 from the critics. I wouldn't go as far some people to say this is the best film ever, but one of the top ones of this decade. A great cast and clever filming by Ridley Scott really put this screenplay together into an engaging film.
  50. PatrykR.
    Oct 1, 2009
    This is, in my honest opinion, this is the best move of all time. I watched it again today, and this was the first movie that really hit me. It is amazingly beautiful, in my opinion maybe even better than some movies that are being recently made. The fighting scenes are spectacular, and left me utterly speechless. The critics are 100% wrong, this movie does not deserve a 64, it deserves a This is, in my honest opinion, this is the best move of all time. I watched it again today, and this was the first movie that really hit me. It is amazingly beautiful, in my opinion maybe even better than some movies that are being recently made. The fighting scenes are spectacular, and left me utterly speechless. The critics are 100% wrong, this movie does not deserve a 64, it deserves a 94. A great story line, I cried at the end. Expand
  51. FabioA.
    Oct 24, 2009
    Cant believe that this film is rated with a 64 review know. One of my favorites.
  52. AllysonP.
    Oct 26, 2009
    Absolutely outstanding. The screenplay, special effects and actors. What more can a movie need to be successful. Th only problem with some critics, is that they do not know when a good movie hits them. A top 10/10. So watchable over and over again.
  53. EdwardT.
    Jan 26, 2009
    Its so nice to the point , no words can describe it.
  54. JoetheCriticBlack
    Jan 7, 2009
    I've rated an astronomical amount of movies in my life time. However, this movie I can say is easily the best movie I've ever seen, a classic, and a memorizing movie that will live with me forever. Russel Crow is amazing and the directing is fantastic! If you haven't seen this movie you haven't lived.
  55. NikolaR.
    Feb 12, 2009
    This is the best movie ever made. Not to mention it's the only succesfull epic roman film since the golden age of Holltwood and the 60's. It strikes you from many different angles and what to say about Russell,there is some power in his performance,simply unbelievable STRENGTH AND HONOR
  56. DerekL.
    Mar 25, 2001
    Wonderful spectacle in that Hollywood sort of way. Great 1920?s film. I just thought we were past that. But very hard to fault.
  57. JohnR.
    Apr 25, 2003
    One of the best movies i have ever seen in my entire life. Really really really good.
  58. YoonMinC.
    Sep 28, 2003
    Like Blade Runner, Gladiator deals with a main character who's a slave by fate but master by nature. Reasonably entertaining with some big thrills, it nevertheless suffers from vapid New Age imagery and music, Crowe's one-dimensionality(borrowed from latter day Stallone?), unconvincing CGI(I'll take sedated tigers in Demetrius and the Gladiators over the tigigabytes here), Like Blade Runner, Gladiator deals with a main character who's a slave by fate but master by nature. Reasonably entertaining with some big thrills, it nevertheless suffers from vapid New Age imagery and music, Crowe's one-dimensionality(borrowed from latter day Stallone?), unconvincing CGI(I'll take sedated tigers in Demetrius and the Gladiators over the tigigabytes here), and a chubby faced villain who's hardly worth the trouble for a near 3 hr movie to get all worked up over. Still, Scott seems to have gotten the formula down pat for making a movie that can win both the audience and the academy. Still, compare the great visionary expanse of Blade Runner with the choppy flashiness of Gladiator, and it's clear Scott has become a slave himself, to commerce. Expand
  59. alec
    Nov 24, 2004
    One of the best films ever. Great acting by Russel Crowe and Joaquin Phoenix and stunning cinematography. The only reason that I gaved it a 9 was because of the killing of the little boy. It was horrible ! But it deserved "Best Picture" at the Oscars.
  60. EddieN.
    Dec 21, 2004
    The greatest action movie of all time! Scenes get the adrenaline pumping.
  61. AllenL.
    Dec 27, 2005
    This is the best movie i have ever seen!
  62. StephenH.
    Mar 13, 2005
    Gladiator is an excellent movie. The acting is phenomenal, the history well-represented, the story interesting, the music superb, and the drama evocative. I could go on and on about the greatness of this movie, but I think it would only be a superfluous effort. Anyone who has watched this movie with an open mind and an honest heart will recognize its paradigmatic representation of the ideal film.
  63. RodneyS
    Oct 21, 2007
    One of my favorite movies, the dialog is superb. Outstanding performances acting.
  64. JackS.
    Dec 17, 2008
    Heart breaking, sad, violent, and realistic...my type of movie. The story of a Roman general being sold into being a Gladiator after being betrayed. What a great story line, loved the sword swinging action, the romantic and saddening ending. The amazing visual effects. This is a movie you won't get tired of.
  65. RobS.
    Mar 26, 2008
    How the critic get this wrong. One of the best films ever! It was emotionally moving and quite a drama - despite its stunts and action scenes. From a pure moviegoer standpoint, what stands out most is the powerful connection the film makes to its audience - Roman heroism and epic dramatization was well done...not overdone.
  66. NB.
    Oct 21, 2009
    One of the best movies I've seen. It has well executed action sequences, an interesting, yet simple plot, great characters, superb acting. My only problem is that they made Commodus' personality detestable to such an extent. I don't expect to like the villain, their actions, or their beliefs, but I usually like to see some sort of redeeming quality. But even in that case One of the best movies I've seen. It has well executed action sequences, an interesting, yet simple plot, great characters, superb acting. My only problem is that they made Commodus' personality detestable to such an extent. I don't expect to like the villain, their actions, or their beliefs, but I usually like to see some sort of redeeming quality. But even in that case there was a rational explanation for his behavior, and his character was well written none the less. I don't know what movie that guy at the Washington Post was watching, because there is no way he could have rated such an epic movie so poorly. I guess the user scores ratings and the sheer amount of awards the movie has won(wiki says its won 48 different awards) are more accurate depictions of the movie that the reviews that were published. I wouldn't say the movie is perfect, but. Expand
  67. MattD
    Dec 8, 2009
    You people who voted low for this film make me physically sick. what kind of twisted view must you have to not enjoy gladiator when about half of these user reviews are solid tens, and the rest mostly eights and nines. if someone chose not to watch this film due to a poor metacritic score, they would clearly be sorely losing out. the best film of all time, except the truman show.
  68. MarkJ
    Aug 31, 2009
    One of my favorite movies. Almost makes me cry every time at the end, and I honestly don't cry easily to movies. Also, the washington post is apparently run by idiots. there are 2 reviews here by the washington post, one for 80 and one for 30. Moreover, the fool who rated it 30 points is for some reason completely biased against it. /rant .
  69. ColeL.
    Nov 17, 2001
    This movie makes you thank god that you did not live in this time. This si a brutal movie with a great story. If you see you have not wasted your time.
  70. Taylor
    Nov 27, 2005
    I think this movie is amazing it is packed with action and it is just an awsome story. Th only problem is that the beginning is kind of boring.
  71. Aug 5, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I saw the film really late. The dialogues, the action scenes, the action, and the direction, wow, everything is absolutely terrific. "What we do in life, echoes in eternity". The best dialogue I have ever heard, so Philosophical, so Strengthening, so Inspiring, and just so Wonderful. I'd love to watch it all over again and again. The film is Remarkably great. I think enough said !! Expand
  72. Jun 1, 2012
    My favorite movie of all time. Every time I watch it I'm entranced all over again.
  73. jakep
    Dec 24, 2009
    The best movie i have ever seen (and I am a film critic). It is an inspiring, mesmerizing, beautiful, action packed flick. It is about strength, honor, courage betratal, ruthlessness, survival, and even incest! This is the type of movie thatll motivate you to fight for what you live for because as gladiator said it best "what we do in life, echoes in eternity".
  74. SterlingS.
    Jul 9, 2009
    64 out of 100? Lets look at the review from Washington Post. The complaint of an Australian accent? Computer generated Furniture? The final fight being "banal and unimpressive?" How many movies involve the use of incorrect accents, computer generated frames and realistic (as apposed to solely entertaining) fight scenes and still receive excellent ratings? Personal bias supersedes a 64 out of 100? Lets look at the review from Washington Post. The complaint of an Australian accent? Computer generated Furniture? The final fight being "banal and unimpressive?" How many movies involve the use of incorrect accents, computer generated frames and realistic (as apposed to solely entertaining) fight scenes and still receive excellent ratings? Personal bias supersedes a neutral review of quality. Although not historically accurate, Gladiator is one of the best movies ever produced. The user ratings compared to the critic meta score says enough. Expand
  75. JayV.
    Dec 15, 2003
    This movie was purely the best depiction of Rome I've ever seen.
  76. Nov 8, 2012
    Gladiator is not only a captivating, startling historical epic, it is also exciting and entertaining.
  77. Dec 17, 2012
    This film is about a general who became a slave, then he became a gladiator. Maximus wants to take revenge about his son and his wife who have been murdered from the young emperor who has also killed his father Marcus. It is a great film.
  78. Jan 7, 2011
    A really great movie. Who would think that something as ridiculous as gladiators could garner so much critical acclaim and an Oscar for best actor. It shows just how good Crowe is. Props to Joaquin Pheonix as well.
  79. MelissaDube
    Dec 18, 2007
    omg!!!! wt a load of RUBBISH from dat bloke Stephen Hunter!! he wouldnt kno wt a brilliant movie woz if it slappd him acrss the face. Gladiator is a wondrfll movie & i fnk Ridley Scott did a gr8 job dirctn dat movie & da actors were fantastic.dat movie deservd all da oscars it gt so u cn shove dat up ur a** Stephen Hunter!!!!!!!
  80. Feb 9, 2013
    One-half of the movie Gladiator is utter brilliant film-making; the other half is cliche Hollywood action-blockbuster. Good thing there was more of the brilliance than the cliches.
  81. Sep 25, 2011
    "Gladiator" is just your average Rome summer flick, between all those massive action and masterful dialogue.
  82. kavehF.
    May 30, 2005
    It's grate. rossel crow.... fonix...hans zimmerrrr.... its glory.
  83. PatC.
    Jan 7, 2004
    This and Braveheart are the latest butcher epics to get Oscars. At the beginning, Crowe orders his troops, "Prepare to unleash hell." Or was that the Director? Thus a non-stop cliche masquerading as a historic epic was born. Is there a message therein that benefits any subset of mankind. No. Don't agree? Name one.
  84. PhilipD.
    Feb 19, 2001
    Unconvincing, overdigitized tosh with no storyline worth the name. Stick with Ben Hur, at least the characters are worth sticking with, the settings are believable and the story makes sense, unlike here.
  85. Oct 23, 2010
    Not sure I am really into these sandy classic epics from civilisations gone by. For sure, Crowe does a great job but by the end of the movie I was getting a little restless and I struggled to realise why it had gone for as long as it had.â
  86. ConradR.
    Jul 9, 2001
    I thought the backstage crew in the colluseum audience were better actors than Russel Crowe.
    Mar 10, 2002
    Nauseating in how pretentious it is.
  88. RickJ.G.
    May 17, 2003
    When I saw first saw this movie three years ago, I remember a couple who were heroin addicts in the building I was living in at the time were enthralled with this movie, and saw it on multiple occasions. I have to wonder if the millions of other people in the U.S. who joined me in throwing away $187 million at the box office, and walked away liking this movie, weren't on heroin as When I saw first saw this movie three years ago, I remember a couple who were heroin addicts in the building I was living in at the time were enthralled with this movie, and saw it on multiple occasions. I have to wonder if the millions of other people in the U.S. who joined me in throwing away $187 million at the box office, and walked away liking this movie, weren't on heroin as well. I can't understand why this movie turned out to be as popular as it did. It looks terrible (I believe it was digitally recorded and it really shows). Its action scenes are a poorly shot. It takes far too many liberties with the history of the era. Finally, what an epic sit this bore of a movie was. My rear end deserved a big thumbs up from the Coliseum crowd for enduring two-and-a-half hours of schlock like this. I gave this movie a second try to see if I had missed something the first time around and I disliked it even more. I couldn't wait for it to get over the second time. An even worse pick for Best Picture than Titanic. At least the makers of Titanic produced a movie with crisp, clear images and brilliant special effects. Expand
  89. MichaelE.
    Aug 27, 2002
    Probably the single worst movie I have ever seen, and movies are my entire life! (Almost)
  90. Aug 21, 2010
    This piece of rubbish narrowly edges out 'Hurt locker' as the worst movie ever to win an academy award. Cliche after gut-wrenching cliche...
    Joaquin Phoenix's villain is so comical that I was waiting for him to raise his pinky finger to the corner of his lip 'Dr Evil' style and say "one million dollars".
    Crap. Plain and simple.
  91. DaveCharlton
    Jun 23, 2004
    After seeing this film again, I have to say I was dumbfounded by its idiocy and triteness. After the breathtaking build up to the film's opening battle in Germania, we are given a hyper edited bloodbath, full of horrid jumpcuts that do the film no favour in hiding the fact that it was done on digital cameras and didn't interest me at all, especially when compared to the intenselyAfter seeing this film again, I have to say I was dumbfounded by its idiocy and triteness. After the breathtaking build up to the film's opening battle in Germania, we are given a hyper edited bloodbath, full of horrid jumpcuts that do the film no favour in hiding the fact that it was done on digital cameras and didn't interest me at all, especially when compared to the intensely visceral opening battle in Gangs Of New York, which put jittery slow-motion and jump-cuts to much more effective (and this is a huge understatement). From then on, there is not one sequence in the entire film that works. The whole thing is one big boring, pompous, ugly and altogether hollow mess, so much so that it makes even Troy look thoroughly impressive in comparison. At least that had an interesting story, was aware of its own over-the-top masculinity, wasn't full of laughabley hokey politics and banal dialogue and didn't put a predictable division between the tough, ordinary Stallone-eque good guy and the weird, effeminate villain. Scenes were Commodus (Jaquin Phoenix) lusts over his sister Lucille (Connie Neilson) are unintentionally funny and have about as much resonance with what little story Gladiator has as those of the senate ranting about what they're going to do with Rome. The Colloseum fights are were the film really hits rock bottom. These loathesomely shot pieces of ruthless carnage are gratuitously bloody and devoid of either artistic or entertainment value. I wasn't so much disgusted or shocked as I was bored. The films also serves an unfortunate epitaph for Oliver Reed who is given some of the films most tedious monologues to read out, you can almost feel his boredom. One of the worst Hollywood epic of the last ten years Expand
  92. AshH.
    Dec 22, 2009
    Some people are calling this the best film of all time. W. T. F. This film's characters were absolutely terrible. The acting was decent, especially from Phoenix, but everything else about it was quite lacking. Watch it with the professional eye and you'll see that the editing is in fact, quite non-professional and sloppy. The writing was without a doubt the worst thing about it. Some people are calling this the best film of all time. W. T. F. This film's characters were absolutely terrible. The acting was decent, especially from Phoenix, but everything else about it was quite lacking. Watch it with the professional eye and you'll see that the editing is in fact, quite non-professional and sloppy. The writing was without a doubt the worst thing about it. I don't know what some people see in it, all they look for in movies are action, which this film delivers solidly along with the acting, but does not do so with anything else. Expand
  93. RichO.
    May 2, 2001
    What a waste of potential. The promise of the opening battle scene shot on the edge of a forest instead of the usual open field that indicated something unusual and interesting was about to happen was lost by Ridley Scott's too close to the action filming and his distracting use of little computer tricks. Next time, Ridley, take a clue from Bull Durham. Wear women's underwear What a waste of potential. The promise of the opening battle scene shot on the edge of a forest instead of the usual open field that indicated something unusual and interesting was about to happen was lost by Ridley Scott's too close to the action filming and his distracting use of little computer tricks. Next time, Ridley, take a clue from Bull Durham. Wear women's underwear while you work and maybe you won't outthink yourself. Expand
  94. RickJ.G.
    May 17, 2003
  95. adamn
    Jul 31, 2007
    Really, not enough action to make up for the horrible plot. I cannot believe Russel Crowe won best actor for this but not A Beautiful Mind, which he was spectacular in. The people who claim this is the best movie ever made are in the same vein of people who think the DaVinci Code is the best book ever written. The action is good (though hasn't aged well), but the rest is not even as Really, not enough action to make up for the horrible plot. I cannot believe Russel Crowe won best actor for this but not A Beautiful Mind, which he was spectacular in. The people who claim this is the best movie ever made are in the same vein of people who think the DaVinci Code is the best book ever written. The action is good (though hasn't aged well), but the rest is not even as close to as good as it's made to be. Expand
  96. Aug 25, 2011
    Analyzing Ridley Scott's past films, you can draw that conclusion that when it comes to technical mastery, he is simply a genius. Analyzing again, he also shows little understanding of the way characters play off one another and how to look for stories with depth beneath all the tech. This is especially true in Gladiator, a movie with all the buildings for a boneheaded, kistchy,Analyzing Ridley Scott's past films, you can draw that conclusion that when it comes to technical mastery, he is simply a genius. Analyzing again, he also shows little understanding of the way characters play off one another and how to look for stories with depth beneath all the tech. This is especially true in Gladiator, a movie with all the buildings for a boneheaded, kistchy, action-packed gorefest. If only Scott and Crowe realized that the movie is that as it is, rather trying to disguise it by trying to make it a drama, and a clunky one at that. Expand
  97. Jul 6, 2012
    "Gladiator" brings me to understand why so many knowledgable people have been apprehensive to agree when I
  98. Jul 14, 2013
    I watched this movie with other epics like Braveheart in mind. I would think this would be a fair comparison but perhaps I should have seen it without trying to compare it with the likes of Braveheart, because this movie is a passionless, murky experience.

When I watch the whole movie with a scowl on my face from squinting to much to see what is going on in the murkyness of the action and for the convoluted tone of the movie.. it's not a good sign.

So the issues: a pouty, uninspiring villian, murky, difficult to discern special fx and battle scenes, a convoluted plot and poor pacing.

Why then not a really low score like a 1-4 out of ten? Because Russell Crowe did do a good job, looking bold and also grizzly, and when I could discern what was happening and the movie focussed on the final battle sequence, it was involving.
  99. May 8, 2014
    "Are you not entertained?" Well, I have to say I was. The dazzling visuals and epic battle scenes are the things to watch Gladiator for, and not for its simple premise. I will admit though that the dialogue was sharp and well-written, and the acting was pretty good (except Phoenix: is performance was wooden and clichéd). The movie could've been better, but director Ridley Scott is laughing"Are you not entertained?" Well, I have to say I was. The dazzling visuals and epic battle scenes are the things to watch Gladiator for, and not for its simple premise. I will admit though that the dialogue was sharp and well-written, and the acting was pretty good (except Phoenix: is performance was wooden and clichéd). The movie could've been better, but director Ridley Scott is laughing at anyone who bashes it, Oscar in hand. Expand
  100. Jul 21, 2014
    Change the title to GRUMPY MAN and it will pass for an average comedy.

And Crowe got an oscar out of the deal. Great job academy!

The soundtrack supplied the only clothes pins holding up this drippy crap stained sheet on the line.

1. The script by producer David Franzoni, John Logan, and William Nicholson is serviceable but not exactly inspired.
    Filled with brilliant filmmaking and features outstanding performances, but it's neither profound enough nor pop enough to be great -- it's mournful, serious, beautiful and, finally, pointless.
    Lacks emotional depth and sweep -- but the movie still delivers the type of rousing, large-scale adventure that marked the best films of its kind