6.9

1. Jul 10, 2014
    I'm going to be blunt here: I can't help seeing Gloria as an inconsiderate, egocentric, needy woman with a substance abuse problem. It's an interesting portrait but the literal victory dance at the end makes it obvious that she was meant to be a positive character, which puzzles me. Perhaps I'm too young to understand it. In any case, the acting was clearly the highlight of the film.
  2. Lyn
    Jun 1, 2014
    I guess I've been spoiled by other movies in this genre -- about the middle-aged woman still looking for love. The American version would be visually enjoyable, with a happy ending as our heroine ends up with Steve Martin or Jack Nicholson. The French version would give us a rich understanding of her issues, because she talks so much about them with an interesting variety of people. I give this movie credit for showing a not-that-attractive woman grappling with midlife prospects that are not too cheery. But there's not enough of Gloria's thinking or of insights about her internal life. She looks into the mirror and I guess we're supposed to know what she's thinking ... but we don't, necessarily, and none of the supporting characters are very helpful either.Gloria favors big, odd glasses and likes to dance; that's about it. Expand
  3. May 8, 2014
    Half the movie features a middle aged woman singing in her car, and the other half is old-people sex. I was hoping the story would be much better. Wish I passed on this one.
  4. May 2, 2014
    Nicely filmed and acted, but I felt no emotions for or against Gloria as the story unfolded. I found little that caught my attention--the characters seemed to be going through the motions. It made me wonder how old was the screenwriter, but that's no excuse for the superficiality of this film. It wasted my time.
  5. Feb 24, 2014
    If there is one film that defines the notion that ‘no coming of age story can be depicted too late’, it’s Gloria. After getting divorced and watching her children’s lives take exciting new turns, whether it be raising a family of their own or exploring new career opportunities, Gloria could have easily fallen into a sad life, alone and miserable. Instead, wise, beautiful and full of life, Gloria decides to live her life to the fullest by working hard and playing even harder. Whether it’s dressing up to go out dancing, singing aloud to her car stereo, or doing yoga for the first time, Gloria gives new life and meaning to the ‘coming of age narrative’. As the audience follows a character whom, at a much later age, still endures the ‘coming of age’ trials that we mostly see in preteens or young adults, Gloria brings to light many of the trials that countless women face today. Sadly however, Gloria becomes a very specific, dreary, and essentially uneventful character study intended for a very specific demographic with very little to offer larger audiences.

As a film critic responsible for representing the voice of younger film enthusiasts and a new generation of film lovers, I have an appreciation and understanding of the opinions of others. With that said, I approach every film unbiased, informed and open-minded, as I would with any piece of art. Now, there are very few times where pieces of cinema actually become timeless pieces of art. I believe, that in order for a film to be timeless, it must reach leaps and bounds beyond it’s key demographic and speak to people, regardless of it’s time-frame or the age of it’s characters/subjects. In many cases, films speak to the audiences they are targeted to, hence why most films are surveyed by demographics based on age. Films like Blue is the Warmest Colour, Something’s Gotta Give and her, have very specific viewing audiences and are able to succeed (critically and financially) by marketing themselves appropriately among these demographics. Every so often, there comes a film that roots itself in certain time-frames using a specific age-centric voice/or place in history (fictional or non-fictional), and becomes a universal piece of cinematic language. Recently, films like The Social Network, The Past and Nebraska, not only become film pieces that are embedded within a specific time-frame understood by a few, but effortlessly speak volumes to many. Unfortunately, Gloria becomes a very specific tale of hope for divorced middle-aged men and women in search of love, sex, and meaning after the life they always thought they’d share with someone falls to pieces.

The most fantastic element with Gloria is her ability to avoid melancholia, however what’s discrediting to the film altogether is that it’s underlining feeling is melancholic. Gloria’s loneliness is her biggest downfall as a character. Her dependency on the company of others leads her into a relationship with Rodolfo (Sergio Hernández), a man who flaunts his wealth in order to attract Gloria yet basis his own happiness on her simple beauty and effortless sex appeal. With the loud ring of each of her phone calls and his quick answer, Rodolfo quickly becomes a foreshadowing of his inability to please Gloria’s endless appetites–both inside and outside the bedroom. It is through Gloria’s relationships with others, including Rodolfo and her daughter’s boyfriend Theo (Eyal Meyer), that both she and the audience is able to explore the colourful sides of her multifaceted personality and youthful demeanour.

Much like the main titled character herself, the film experiences a change of heart halfway through, and then again abandons those thoughts not long after. The film has much to say about a woman who’s unquenchable sex-drive and lust for passion are thwarted daily. Her quest for love and romanticized notions of affection are held next to the ideals of the songs she sings on the radio and within the small discos and dance halls where she meets men. After all is said and done, Gloria still seems to find her appetite unsatiated, not for a lack of meeting men, but instead as a result of the preconceived notions she has about the world of cougar dating.
  6. Feb 17, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Gloria is a portrait of a divorced, middle-aged Chilean woman. Unfortunately, I was never really engaged by this segment of her life. Gloria, the character, forms a new relationship. The ultimate message seems to echo the old adage, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me." While the ending is cute, I believe that the problem is lack of context. We aren't told who Gloria is or where she comes from. It isn't apparent whether her resilience represents growth or mere repetition. The acting is very good and there is certainly some usefulness in the message that those who are middle-aged and divorced are people too, with a range of emotions and issues. However, I was left unsatisfied. I needed more of a story, not just a portrait. Expand
  7. Feb 11, 2014
    Terrific movie filled with real people struggling to find meaning and intimacy in their relationships. Paulina Garcia is outstanding as her character develops and she faces all the heartaches in her life. Somehow she manages to find hope to keep going. When she finally dumps Rudolfo she has to deal with her anger since she was abandoned by him on several important occasions. She decides to paint ball his house and him - a very justified punishment for leading her on and treating her as a sex object. He was really not available for any commitment, despite his words and his pitiful begging for forgiveness. She won my heart for her earthiness, honesty and cheerful spirit. Expand
  8. Feb 3, 2014
    This is a story of a Chilean woman in her 50-es who feels young at heart and tries hard to find a life partner.
    She is divorced and her children are grown up. She frequently goes to some kind of a dancing club for single people and tries to loosen herself up with wine and dancing. Men who seem to be available all have significant baggage. To find a meaningful relationship turns out to be
    a devastating and heart-breaking task. But she keeps trying.
    The movie is honest and realistic. Well done but a bit too long. Gloria's performance is excellent.
  9. Jan 25, 2014
    “Gloria” stars Paulina Garcia in the title role in this story of a single woman “of a certain age” who frequents social dancing clubs in order to find herself and the happy life she is seeking. Co-written by Gonzalo Maza and Sebasti (who also directed the film) the movie unfortunately did not live up to the expectations so many of the critics led me to believe it would achieve. The film’s 2 hours in length coupled with a plot that never reaches its end made this movie experience difficult to watch and to stay awake during its viewing.. There is a good movie in there somewhere but Director Sebasti and his co-writer never find it and the viewer is faced with the uncomfortable experience of waiting for something more but finding out after the ticket purchase that it never comes. The acting of Ms. Garcia is wonderful but not strong enough to carry this film and its thin story. I give the filma 7 and wonder what it takes for the other critics to be able to criticize and rank a foreign film poorly. I for one had no trouble doing it. Collapse

1. Reviewed by: Liam Lacey
    Feb 13, 2014
    Whether you appreciate Gloria as a portrait of a vital woman, muddling through life’s middle chapters, or as an allegory of Chilean resilience, the message is the same: Let’s face the music and dance.
  2. Reviewed by: Mary Houlihan
    Feb 6, 2014
    It is to Lelio’s credit that he steers clear of stereotypes and lets the story unfold organically without judgment or sentimentality. There is an unflinching honesty and intelligence here.
  3. Reviewed by: Marjorie Baumgarten
    Feb 5, 2014
    Like the disco sounds that accompany the end of Gloria, this film seems a bit superficial.