5.7

1. Mar 5, 2011
    I was excited to Gnomeo and juilet I was expecting it to be funny.

It was ok. I wasn't what i was expecting well, kind of.

It was sort of funny.

Some parts in it were sort of lame.

All and all i thought it was ok.
  2. Feb 15, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. They look like toys, but they're not. It must really burn this sorry lot, to come up short against their rivals, and yet the filmmaker doesn't go there. "Gnomeo and Juliet" never gets past its initial conceit. The film simply wants to goof on William Shakespeare. Too bad. The pathos goes unexplored. The gnomes are cute, distinguishable by sex, and their faces suggest a personality, but alas, the gnomes aren't kid-friendly. The parts don't move. They don't make a sound. Worst of all, they're ceramic. Nobody plays with lawn ornaments. (Can you just imagine the people at Pixar exploiting this fact!!!) Nobody loves them. It's a reality that the makers of "Gnomeo and Juliet" never acknowledge, preferring instead to infuse the mindset of the lawn ornament with a toy's logic, a toy's undying loyalty. The feuding gnomes, in actuality, have no surnames. As it's revealed in the opening shot, after the Andy Kaufman-esque prologue(similar in theme to his "Great Gatsby" bit), the Montagues and the Capulets are appellations that refer to the gnomes' human owners, next-door neighbors at odds who reside on Verona Drive. Even though the gnomes wear the tribal colors of their respective landowners, blue(Montagues) and red(Capulets) shouldn't signify anything because the gnomes, by all appearances, are not on a first-name basis with the people, the warring factions whose problems they appropriated as their own. To the actual Montagues and the actual Capulets, the auxiliary members of their families that occupy the gardens, are ciphers, so where does this loyalty come from, which inspires the gnomes to keep Gnomeo and Juliet from being together? Not once do we see, Montague or Capulet alike, performing some sort of ministration upon the gnomes to indicate that the lawn ornaments have value, akin to a toy. For instance, when Tybult shatters and is reduced to tiny pieces, due to a lawnmower racing accident, a savvier film would have shown who(person or thing) was responsible for the gnome's eventual restoration. More than likely, it's a lawn ornament who mends Tybult, but each group's allegiance to his namesake would lead you to believe that the glue belonged to a proper Capulet. If human hands put Tibult back together, you could understand better as to why the Red Hats and the Blue Hats can't mix. But as "Gnomeo and Juliet" makes clear, the film has no Andy(the boy from the "Toy Story" series"), a human representative who interacts with inanimate objects, and loves them. Clearly, these lawn ornaments are forgotten, and left to their own devices. Their real grudge should be with the toys, who sleep in the house, on a shelf or a bed, instead of having to brave the elements: the rain, the sleet, the snow, and the neighborhood cats, the neighborhood dogs. Toys have value. Toys get fixed. In essence, "Gnomeo and Juliet" wants to be "Lawn Ornament Story", especially during the scene where the pink flamingo recounts the story of his pink flamingo mate, which contains the same "Toy Story" approach to loss, evoking the moment in the second film when Emily, Jessie the Cowgirl's owner, tosses the doll under the bed, and is forgotten. "Gnomeo and Juliet" is equally adult in its handling of abandonment issues. Tossed into a garden shed, the aftermath of a separation between the flamingo's owners(she took the other bird), Featherstone muses, "Other people's hate destroyed my love" but the moviegoer never gets a read on how the pink bird feels about their indifference, the casual cruelty which led to his imprisonment in that shack. In Lee Unkrich's '"Toy Story 3", Lots O'Huggin Bear couldn't survive without his human, so as a coping mechanism, he unleashes his anger upon Woody and Buzz Lightyear, and the rest of Andy's toys, because in the stuffed animal's state of bereftness, he despises the newly-arrived toys at the daycare for the same reason he despises himself: the bear needs his original owner, he needs love, whereas the gnomes need no human interaction, and yet, both sides are willing to fight in their honor. Prior to the final action set-piece, just like how Shakespeare wrote it, Benny breaks into the Montague household, and using the computer, orders the lawnmower that will give the "blue hats" an advantage over the "red hats". The Terra-firmanator, under his command, nearly kills the star-crossed lawn ornaments, and what for? Had Benny been successful, the old lady would have simply swept away the ceramic pieces into a dustpan, without ceremony. If the makers of "Gnomeo and Juliet" had Pixar's ambition, they would have made Juliet a toy. Expand
  3. Mar 1, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I went to this movie with my younger siblings expecting a disaster. It ended up being a (somewhat) entertaining hour and a half. Some of the character development was lame, and some scenes dragged on. The "dance party" at the end of the movie was atrocious. However there were some surprisingly funny moments, and I loved the Shakepeare statue. Wasn't as bad as I thought, but I'd wait till Cars 2 for a really good animated movie. Expand
  4. Mar 11, 2011
    This movie is totally forgettable. Sure, the kids will love it and the sound effects were really well done. Other then that, there's not much to say. Some moments were fun to watch, the rest was quite boring. The main reason why I really wanted to see '' Gnomeo and Juliet '' it's because of the ending. Of course, in the original story they both die, but I was curious to see how this newThis movie is totally forgettable. Sure, the kids will love it and the sound effects were really well done. Other then that, there's not much to say. Some moments were fun to watch, the rest was quite boring. The main reason why I really wanted to see '' Gnomeo and Juliet '' it's because of the ending. Of course, in the original story they both die, but I was curious to see how this new version will end (because it's for kids). I thought it was okay. But at least the children will enjoy it. Expand
  5. Jul 8, 2011
    I'm a huge fan of Elton John, and I know he and his partner were heavily involved in the making of this movie, so I went to see it because the movie contains Elton's classic songs from the 70s plus a couple of new ones. I really liked the new songs from Elton so I suppose I will have to purchase the soundtrack now. The animation is excellent - very colorful and textural. The storyI'm a huge fan of Elton John, and I know he and his partner were heavily involved in the making of this movie, so I went to see it because the movie contains Elton's classic songs from the 70s plus a couple of new ones. I really liked the new songs from Elton so I suppose I will have to purchase the soundtrack now. The animation is excellent - very colorful and textural. The story itself is, of course, predictable, as it is a retelling of Romeo and Juliet, but of course nobody dies tragically at the end since it is a children's film. There are no big laughs, as with a Pixar film like Toy Story, but there are no boring or slow parts either. I just found it fascinating to look at so it kept me entertained. Overall not great, but certainly a good effort. I hope to see more animation from Elton's Rocket Film group. Expand
  6. May 31, 2011
    Another harmless, fun, animated film. Nothing spectacular here, though the decorative backyard pieces are funny to watch in their interactions with each other! The inclusion of a few Elton John pieces are a highlight to the film's score!
  7. Aug 27, 2014
    Parts of Gnomeo & Juliet were certainly charming, but could that be related to its original source material? Elton John's soundtrack was first-rate; however, it ends there.
  8. Jun 14, 2013
    So Gnomeo and Juliet is a mixed bag. On one end the film as some good animation, some likeable characters, and does a nice job in some parts telling the story of Romeo and Juliet for kids. However, just when the film seems to getting heartfelt and doing a nice job with the whole message on prejudice it shoves a lot of pop songs, pop culture references, and adult jokes down your throat. IfSo Gnomeo and Juliet is a mixed bag. On one end the film as some good animation, some likeable characters, and does a nice job in some parts telling the story of Romeo and Juliet for kids. However, just when the film seems to getting heartfelt and doing a nice job with the whole message on prejudice it shoves a lot of pop songs, pop culture references, and adult jokes down your throat. If this film was just a bunch references and pop jokes I would be giving this film a 4 or 5 but because it does have some moments, more or less the same basic premise, and some of the adult jokes work it is getting a 6. I was not bored or groaning as much as I do in other kids films and this one kept my interest to an extent. If I had kids I would still show them this because there is nothing terrible or bad in here. As it is Gnomeo and Juliet is a nice adpation of the Shakespeare classic except for when it tries too hard to be hip and appeal to older kids and adults. But other than that it is a decent flick. Not going to recommend this one or dissuade you from seeing it but if you wind up watching it the film is not as bad as it could have been. Expand
  9. Jun 8, 2011
    An interesting twist on a classic love story with some laughs thrown in for good measure, but in the end it turned out too be pretty mediocre, but it was an ok movie just don't expect much.
  10. Jun 21, 2011
    A fun but forgettable twist on the classic Shakespeare story. It features a few groan worthy jokes and crow bars too many Elton John tunes into the narrative, but also features an unexpected heart, good voice acting, and beautiful animation.
  11. Nov 6, 2011
    GNOMEO & JULIET is a colorful kid's film, that even though it is funny at times, it is quite cliched and predictable and has an annoying overuse of Elton John music and some hit and miss laughs. But that is what you always expect from a kids movie.
  12. May 9, 2012
    Again, another animated film that is really predictable. Fortunately, this twist on a classic story is pretty good. The characters can be easily forgettable though.
  13. Jan 5, 2012
    Gnomeo And Juliet features talented voice work and great computer animation, with a few clever jokes and classic Elton John music but way too much inappropriate humor and a just self centered message and story. I gve this movie 52%.
  14. Aug 4, 2012
    Let me introduce you to the piece of dog poo they call Gnomeo and Juliet. When I first saw this film, I had low expectations, and they didn't change a single bit. The humor is dry and weak, the stupid garden jokes were too awful and the movie felt like it was 4 seconds long. Long story short, DO NOT SEE THIS FILM!!!
  15. Dec 7, 2012
    Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet, with garden gnomes? Sounds a little silly, but it's actually a lot of fun. The animation is good, as is the music by Elton John. Some of the voice work was a little bland, but I still had a fun time with this movie. A really cute little animated film!

1. Reviewed by: Bob Mondello
    Feb 15, 2011
    Theatrically inclined parents will also appreciate a passing reference to the Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Moving Co.
  2. Reviewed by: Andrea Gronvall
    Feb 12, 2011
    Terra-cotta gnomes, the sort that decorate people's lawns, are the characters of this bizarre feature animation, which lampoons the British obsession with gardening and upholds a long tradition of cartoons pitched to tots and stoners.
  3. Reviewed by: Sean O\\\\\\\'Connell
    Feb 11, 2011
    Any film that dares to cast the bat-chewing heavy-metal legend as a gentle, ceramic reindeer named Fawn is okay in my Bard book.