7.3

1. May 27, 2012
    Ultimately a snuff fantasy for the kind of people who spend their evening watching Jon Stewart and Rachel Maddow. Sure is fun to imagine yourself going on a killing spree to wipe out FOX news commentators, reality TV show stars, and insulting judges on American Idol. But ultimately, the film's ccharacters are no better than the targets of their wrath. The is one way I could givev this movie a 10. If you interpret it as a condemnation of the people who will get off on it. In a way, the ending reminds me of the ending of Inglourious Bastards, where the audience is watching a film in which the heros massacre an audience full of Nazis trapped in a theater watching a film in which the hero kills their enemies. I'm not sure the film is really smart enough to have that double edge to it, though. There are numerous occasions when the protagonists rant and rave about the vulgarity of the culture, before immediately revealing themselves to be nothing but the flip side, another example of the vulgarity they condemn. As if going on a killing spree to protest incivility isn't sufficiently ironic. Expand
  2. Jul 8, 2012
    I'd gone into this movie with high hopes thinking that it would be generally funny, and for the first half hour it was. After you get through the intro of the movie, including the first killing, it goes down hill from there. The movie then takes a turn to twenty minute monologues before anything important actually happens, all the while it is incredibly obvious that the writer is only trying to push a political agenda. The movie turns from being genuinely funny, to just being plain pathetic by trying to force comedy through their sad "political jokes" that stereotype people as much as you can. The characters are extremely unlikable and make it very hard to relate to them. Especially the girl, she swears up a storm, typically for no reason, by saying things, like **** you frank" just to reply to the him. Frank the main character, brings no life to his role whatsoever. He is supposed to be a man dying from a brain tumor, but really all he is, is a poor actor that can't show any emotion, and always talks in a monologue voice. The story, could have easily been written by a middle school student. It is poorly written, and extremely shallow. This is why I've given the movie a two out of ten. Expand
  3. May 11, 2012
    Not ridiculous enough to justify the running time, the film is an overlong rant that has validity in some of its points, but isn't ridiculous enough to survive the bad indie filmmaking and a story that tries too hard to create a story when there really isn't one. Don't bother watching this before midnight.
  4. Jun 9, 2013
    This a shallow preachy attempt to denounce everything that is supposedly wrong with America. The characters are completely unlikable and in the end, the movie isn't funny or engaging. This movie is pathetic.
  5. Jun 30, 2012
    God Bless America, a dark comedy involving a depressed middle-aged man who goes on a killing rampage on those who 'deserve it' with a teenage girl has its morals all twisted up. The film attempts to make statements about what's wrong with pop culture and America and, while some of the declarations are affecting, it is mostly just wrung out with hypocrisy, as the characters enacting the killings are no better themselves. It starts out with promise, making some good points, but then we begin to realize that about every scene contains a drawn out monologue of, not so much nihilism, but hating everything for no backed up insightful reason. While the plot is self-aware and ridiculous, the character of the teenage girl is absolutely unlikable, foul-mouthed, mean, and with no background to suppport her behavior. Enjoy God Bless America for its dark/funny massacres but not its moral. I don't think we are meant to anyway. Expand
  6. Dec 8, 2013
    I know there is a lot of trash around us all the time but that does not means that we start killing every such person we don't like. No two persons can ever be same, that is what defines being human and not machines. The leads are terrorists and if you are rooting for them then God bless You.

1. Reviewed by: Philip Wilding
    Jul 2, 2012
    Part road trip, part revenge movie, this is a tentative tale of a man who's not going to take it anymore, sharp on the fallibility of human foibles and sometimes stingingly funny, too.
  2. Reviewed by: Marjorie Baumgarten
    May 31, 2012
    Although several great speeches and hilarious one-liners goose the film, God Bless America nevertheless peaks too early and becomes rather one-note.
  3. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    May 18, 2012
    The good news: This is Goldthwait the writer-director, not Goldthwait the actor -- so there's no schticky voice to endure. But his exceedingly black comedy does speak loudly -- and it turns out he's actually got something worthwhile to say.