God Grew Tired of Us

7.9

1. brianl
    Jan 30, 2009
    This was a very big eye opener, this documentary is excellent.
  2. AndrewK.
    Mar 20, 2007
    A wonderful film. Very educational. Having never seen "Lost Boys," I can't know if this film was as good, but for someone who knew nothing of the issue at hand, I found it to be a very good film. The boys whose lives we follow are so inspiring to me because they possess more will power, more moral strength, and more determination than I could ever hope to achieve. This is one of A wonderful film. Very educational. Having never seen "Lost Boys," I can't know if this film was as good, but for someone who knew nothing of the issue at hand, I found it to be a very good film. The boys whose lives we follow are so inspiring to me because they possess more will power, more moral strength, and more determination than I could ever hope to achieve. This is one of those films that makes you look at yourself and at our country, and realize both how lucky we are and how selfish. I'm glad that these guys were able to improve their lives by coming here, but I think it's a shame that we were not able to do more for them. And it has more to do with the way we are structured as a society than anything else. The refugees question our ability to get through our lives with so little social interaction...with such hostility toward people we don't know. And it makes you realize what a culture of fear we live in. I came out of this film feeling very confused about the way in which I live my life and the direction that we are headed as a country. And that's what makes this such an important film. It makes you think. Expand
  3. HeidiF.
    Feb 22, 2007
    This is one of the best films I have ever seen! It makes you think about what is really important in life. These boys are here in the U.S. so we can help and teach them, but I feel it is "us" who need to be taught from them. The humor in the film was also great!
    Jan 13, 2007
    The film avoids the pall of uplift that can sabotage chronicales of human reclemation. The so-called Lost boys were literally boys when they fled Sudan on foot, by the thosands, to avoid being slaughtered by Muslim armies from the north. That was 1983. Long before relief angenices flew some of them to the US to build new lives, they had formed their own communities in refugee camps, The film avoids the pall of uplift that can sabotage chronicales of human reclemation. The so-called Lost boys were literally boys when they fled Sudan on foot, by the thosands, to avoid being slaughtered by Muslim armies from the north. That was 1983. Long before relief angenices flew some of them to the US to build new lives, they had formed their own communities in refugee camps, keeping their dignity, good will, and caring natures alive. The film shows three such men restling in Pittsburg and Syracuse. Some miss the web of human connections in the camp communities. But their work ethic, intellegence, and resolutness sustain them. On the top of getting college degrees and succeding materially the displaced Sudanease are intent on reuniting their scattered familys. When the mother of one, John Daue, staggers of a plane in saracuse wailing in Dinka to her waiting son, it's heartendering and joyus at the same time. The movie is capitvating and brilliant. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Mark Bell
    Visually stunning and contextually provocative, God Grew Tired of Us is quite simply one of the most beautiful documentaries I've ever seen. Intelligent, heartbreaking, uplifting, humorous and reverent, the film is an adventure in what it means to be human.
  2. An incredibly powerful story of renewal, commitment and the resiliency of the human spirit, this is a movie that should attract a large theatrical audience, and no one will go home disappointed.
  3. Reviewed by: John Anderson
    Although shot over a longer period of time than "Lost Boys," God Grew Tired is a softer, less complex version of essentially the same story, far less troubling in its explorations and implications than "The Lost Boys," but with far greater commercial potential.