Amplify | Release Date: September 5, 2014
6.9
Generally favorable reviews based on 22 Ratings
WATCH NOW
xafomSep 6, 2014
Je t'aime, God Help the Girl, mais je suis vraiment énervé vous n'avez pas l'un des top 3 des chansons dans le film. Je veux dire, la chanson-titre de la remorque n'est même pas dans le film.
MarcDoyleSep 6, 2014
If nothing else, the music is great, and the trio of actors are a treat to watch. As NY Mag says, if you buy into the fantasy of the thing, you'll love it, if not, you might be a bit bored. I enjoyed it.
VonSeuxDec 28, 2014
I'm such a fanboy about belle & sebastian and it's so satisfying to see a film/musical that captivates the essence and melancholy of the band. Maybe this is "fans only" but if you're a fan,you'll be delighted
ryandiamandisSep 19, 2014
The movie is a bit confusing (at least, it was for me) but it does not change the fact that it's beautiful. It's really beautiful. I expected more, but I still liked it. The songs are great and the story too. You probably will find it boring,The movie is a bit confusing (at least, it was for me) but it does not change the fact that it's beautiful. It's really beautiful. I expected more, but I still liked it. The songs are great and the story too. You probably will find it boring, but if you really get into the movie you'll like it too. Expand
awkwardMEOWSep 5, 2014
As expected (despite having only learned of this film's existence by a trailer TWO days ago) this is one of my fave movies ever and I'm so glad it came out right as I learned about it so I didn't have to wait AGES like many Belle & SebastianAs expected (despite having only learned of this film's existence by a trailer TWO days ago) this is one of my fave movies ever and I'm so glad it came out right as I learned about it so I didn't have to wait AGES like many Belle & Sebastian fans. Gorgeous music written by Stuart and the film is his directorial debut.

SUPER sexy colours and unbelievably captivating Bohemian wardrobe and Wes Anderson feel (intentional since its produced by one his guys) and I don't even like Wes films (I know, hipster fail). OH, it totally reminded me of my newer obsession, French New Wave cinema and Emily even resembled Anna Karina and then I googled and found people mentioning both these things in their reviews too so like, my interests are colliding right now and yay validation.

Let's see, what else? Fun dancing and angst and depression. Okay, not all fun. I kept expecting Hannah (aka Gilly from GoT) to start carrying around a baby... it was odd seeing her in something other than nighttime scenes in rags! And sometimes the transition to singing was jarring was awesome as was the cheesy faces and fourth-wall breaking that took place throughout each performance.

So yeah, I am a Belle and Sebastian fan, but my bias is not to blame here... I'm not a DIEHARD fan... so my love for the soundtrack / film wasn't guaranteed. Stuart did all this, man, this was like a 5 years dream project for him. It's indie. It's twee. Oh, damn, it's so twee and all the haters are just goons.

I love you, God Help the Girl, but I am really pissed you didn't have one of the top 3 songs in the movie. I mean, the title track from the trailer isn't EVEN in the film. Think of that for a moment. #what

OH AND THE ENDING. Not gonna say more. But this movie basically took my expectations and followed them, and then didn't. It might even pass the Bechdel Test. There was some nice girl-on-girl friendship. Emily Browning is amazing, she was the best part of Sucker Punch and that Sleeping Beauty film (where girl takes drugs and then guys get to sleep with her) proved she was something special.

Okay, I'll stop squeeing for now. I just am happy because I found a unique, lo-fi musical to love forever.