3.3

1. Mar 24, 2014
    typical religious propaganda, of course the movie chooses to portray the atheist as the bad guy since this is a religious movie. The Acting is horrible, I mean what kind of sane minded college professor would attack his student like that? This movie is offensive to the atheist and secular community as long as other non Christian religious communities.
  2. Mar 29, 2014
    To put it simply, this movie might as well be made by the Nazis, portraying them as the victims of WW2 from the Jews. Seriously tho, this is sickening propaganda. It literally switches the role of Christians with anyone else and tries to make it seem as if they are somehow a super minority that is bullied by everyone else. Worst off is that the film tries to give a few cases where such a thing has happened to Christians, but apparently they thought everyone watching this would be far too stupid to fact check, because for anyone who does, you'll find that none of the cases listed actually has anything to do with what happened to the main character in the film. In fact, most of the example cases they gave actually revolve around Christians trying to gain privileges over other groups within schools. It doesn't matter what religion you follow, if any... This movie will make you want to puke at how disgusting this film tries to change reality. Expand
  3. Mar 27, 2014
    I cannot describe how wrong and shameful this movie is, not to mention how easily the producers of this movie fill their own pockets at the expense of true believing Christians. Although I'm an atheist, I'm offended for Christians, Atheists, Buddhists, Muslims, and many other groups that are slandered/ misrepresented in this film
  4. Mar 26, 2014
    I came from Europe and I went to see this movie, which I thought is another American irrelevant movie, but I realize that this movie has to be seen by each one of us.
  5. Mar 24, 2014
    Aside from the ham-fisted arguments presented, this movie portrays atheists and angry d*cks who are just denying the existence of god because of an emotional reason.
    It also completely fails to understand what the term "God is dead" really means.
    Propaganda at its most obvious, this 'film' attempts to convey the idea that the majority religion (over three quarters of the US) is being
    persecuted by the smallest minority (~2%). Persecution complex at its worst. Expand
  6. Mar 23, 2014
    This is a movie based on a fictional and debunked chain email. The movie portrays many different groups of people and other religions in a negative way. None of the basic and flawed arguments presented by the main character would be convincing to anybody with even the tiniest grasp of logic and reason or experience dealing with the subject and would be easily refuted by someone of the supposed caliber of the professor. If anybody has ever had a fantasy about humiliating a strawman vision of an "arrogant atheist professor" like the ones you read about in the chain emails, this is the movie for you. Just remember, the movie is fiction, try any of these arguments in real life at your own peril. Oh, and having the Duck Dynasty guy on there was just poor taste Expand
  7. Mar 28, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Well I just got back from seeing God's not Dead and I got to say it's a piece of **** But if it was merely just a piece of **** I wouldn't even be complaining but it goes above and beyond your traditional piece of ****.
    Let me explain, first off I can handle back alley abortions of representations of what I and millions of others believe in (or don't believe in this case) but good lord did they screw up with this one. Every atheist is depicted as an arrogant jerk (yes some atheist are arrogant jerks and I was an arrogant jerk back when I first started being an atheist but I mellowed out some and I accept Christianity as a thing in our world and most atheists are nice people) who's out to destroy god and take away God because the big bad atheists don't want people praying because it's illogical. Also the arguments "presented" are so ridiculously asinine that any competent atheists (as in a atheist who studied up on common arguments against gods existence) could debunk them in their sleep.
    Now just when it couldn't get any worse, they introduce a Muslim girl who's rebelling against her uber strict Quran thumping father by listening to the Holy word of god all mighty. When he finds out that her little hijab wearing angel is listening to sermons and won't accept Islam as the true faith. He beats her like a Mexican pinata and throws her out the house by her neck, clumping atheists together with Muslims as another group that has to be lampooned in this **** **** of a movie.
    But believe it or not this isn't even the worst part about this movie, it's the ending, oh dear god the ending. I'm going to spoil the ending of this movie because **** this movie, **** the people who made this movie, **** the people who bought tickets to this movie (I bought a ticket to another movie called the Grand Budapest Hotel and snuck in the theater where the film was playing so I wouldn't pay money to the creators), and while I got my **** yous out **** the people who served me cold crabcakes at TGI Fridays 2 days ago. At the end of the movie the antagonistic philosophy professor losses the debate against the generic white boy christian named Josh Wheaton (Not to be confused with Joss Wheadon) and on his way to meet his wife who broke up with him for being an atheist (I share your pain you philosophy professor even if you managed to lose the debate to someone you shouldn't have in a realistic situation) then he gets hit by a car. Now as he's dying with blood filling his longs a pastor comes in and after getting the crowd to call an ambulance, he basically forces him to convert to god by using his last minutes of waking breath to get him to accept Jesus implying that at in the end all atheist will eventually accept Jesus once they're near death which sort of offends me. It's Pascals Wager (look it up) in all but name which implies that it doesn't matter whether or not you've spent your entire life disbelieving as long as you accept Jesus before you die you'll be saved which also implies that God's morality is incredibly shallow but I'm not hear to provoke a debate I'm her to criticize an awful movie. It's basically saying "Hah, you may have all the facts but once you're near death you'll see who's right." in a condescending tone.
    This film isn't just bad, it's offensively bad. It's Birth of a Nation with the atheists being substituted for African Americans (not in plot but in intent). And the punch line was I was looking for a good arguments in this film but instead I found my non-belief system being viciously skewed in order to spread some half baked Christian propaganda. It offers no new arguments I haven't heard, portrays the non-Christians as arrogant dickwads, and it made way more money than it deserved to make. Don't see this movie if you're looking for a fair view of Atheists, or even if you're looking for arguments against Atheism, because this film won't provide any thing of value for you.
  8. Mar 22, 2014
    It seemed like a Hollywood A-movie and yet a Christian movie. Well-acted, produced and directed per normal Hollywood standards, I thought. Engaging from start to finish. I was not fidgety in my seat.

The movie was not just the debate. There was drama. If you are a father or daughter, especially from an Asian culture, and even if you are of Western origin, there is a moment in the movie
    when you will be moved with a surge of simultaneous emotions (intense sadness, compassion, suspense, hope, etc.), so much so that there is lump in my throat and tears in my eyes as I write this. I can still see the torment on the father's face (an actor whom I have never seen before) and the daughter's anguish.

I would see this movie again if only to see that part again.

The debate is only about 20-25 percent of the movie. There is a bunch of other situations involving relationships, conflicts and life choices we all make, all smoothly and engagingly woven into the main storyline that moves at a very good pace.

For Christians in the habit of watching faith programs, studying the Bible, reading faith books and regularly attending church and Sunday school there won't be much new in the debate. Nominal Christians and non-Christians who are intellectually honest will find the debate interesting, enlightening, even persuasive, and a couple of unexpected twists in the story captivating.

I had never heard a particular Steven Hawking assertion (not mentioning it here because I don't want to spoil the movie for you) which the Christian student uses in the debate. There may be things like that many may not have read or heard before.

What should have struck me long before the movie is how atheists and progressives tend to fast-talk their arguments (apparently to impress the common man with their intellectual superiority by attempting to prevent the man's brain from catching up with what they are saying) while believers and conservatives tend to be slow and deliberative in what they say because they want people to truly understand what they are writing and saying.

Reminds me of a math major roommate I had in the Army who sent a girl a letter with the stamp deliberately affixed to the envelope upside down. He explained to me that the upside down stamp usually is a coded or subconscious message that the sender has romantic interest in the receiver. When the girl took the bait he went through this [faulty] probability reasoning to impress her, "proving" that the stamp was upside down merely by dumb chance.

I believe it will be well worth the time and money you spend on this movie. I hope you won't miss it. If you are a Christian it will help you help others. If you are not a Christian I believe it will indeed entertain you at a minimum or change your life in a way you now think is impossible.
  9. Mar 22, 2014
    If you are on the fence about seeing this movie, do it! It is thoroughly worth your money and time.

The acting was well done, particularly on the part of Kevin Sorbo who plays Professor Jeffery Radisson. The production value is excellent. Great camera work; you would never guess that it is a low-budget film.

While the story line is engaging for the most part, and the characters are
    involving, there were a few things that made me score it as an 8 instead of higher. The part of Josh Wheaton's girlfriend is not sold well, and at first there seem to be many subplots. However, the subplots are tied in well toward the end of the movie.

Overall, I heartily approve. This movie made me laugh and it made me cry. I will definitely see it again.
  10. Mar 29, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Minor spoilers. Unfortunately, this movie embarrasses the Christian faith and makes us look like idiots. The antagonizing of the professor was stupid and the arguments in the final debate were actually kind of weak. While they provide some reasons for the existence of a God, no atheist watching this movie is going to be convinced. Pray for them, no need to bash them. Disappointed that a movie like this was made. Expand
  11. Mar 30, 2014
    I give this movie a mixed (solid 5) review because it generally does nothing for either group: Christian theists or non-believers/skeptics.

To the Christians: Congratulations, you have a movie which is unapologetic in its views. The problem is that anyone who is actually a fence sitter and does more than drool in a corner all day will move towards non-belief after a movie like this.
    The best way to change the minds of people involves something called "addressing their concerns". This movie does not do that. It basically presents non-believers as bitter, depressed people who have a priori an anti-God/Jesus/FSM agenda. So you may enjoy it to "rally the troops" but all it does is antagonize everyone else with a severe case of anti-intellectualism.

To atheists/skeptics/agnostics: Okay, so you know that the movie is basically like Blizzcon for WoW fans: an unabashed celebration of something they love without mercy to the competition. And you have yet another checkmark on the list of terrible Christian movies out there that preach to the choir. But this is nothing new: the only risk here is more indoctrination of Sally and Johnny (8 and 10 respectively) who come to school with more bravado than ever...literally more willing to fight because it feels more like a 3 on 1 curbstomping. It does nothing to advance the discussion: it reverses it and revives old-school "Why do you hate God so much???" proselytizing.
  12. Apr 16, 2014
    The setting is rather absurd. It is actually surreal, but of course it was done to invoke fear into Christians (welcome the world of minorities (forget about discrimination)). The professor is rather absurd, especially for a philosopher - actually a philosopher who is a Misotheist in itself is rather unbelievable to me.

Besides the overall terrible acting, the film isn't actually that
    bad once you remove the ideas this film is trying to propel outwards. But it's just so unrealistic, I feel as if many Christians wouldn't enjoy it as I know many Christians don't live in this surreal world. If anyone ends up thinking "yes, we have to stop atheism!" then their faith is probably too weak. Expand
  13. Mar 29, 2014
    If the same movie was made, with same characters and setting, but being pro evolution and atheism, the scores would be much higher. I have no doubt. America is too biased about the origin of the universe. This movie has so much bias against it that you can't trust anyone's review (including mine) so I just recommend that you see it for yourself and give it a chance and have an open mind to what is being taught. Expand
  14. Mar 29, 2014
    Probably the worst propaganda I have ever seen. The characters are caricatures, the script hackneyed, and the producer's bias is evident throughout . I am hoping that anyone who is Muslim, Chinese, atheist, educated, and/or non-Christian does not go to see the film, as I think this movie is a horrible representation of Christianity. I was questioning how a film like this gets made. Do not support lies and hatred by spending your money on this filth. Expand
  15. Mar 31, 2014
    Very polarizing. Obviously the bias you have will greatly color your view of the movie. I personally felt it was well made and thoroughly enjoyable. I imagine it will be the first time most viewers will be exposed to the arguments both for and against the existence of God. See it and decide for yourself.
  16. Apr 8, 2014
    Even though I'm a Christian, I'm very skeptical about movies like this. But I walked out of this one pretty impressed. It touches on issues in the modern education system & society in general that are most the most part overlooked (not saying it represents the whole but definitely a small part), and delivers a decent story in the process. I admit some parts were a bit pandering, and there's one part of the ending that really bugged me, but at the end of the day I completely disagree with most of the other reviews here.

(If you wanna see my more in-depth review, look up "Spin It Reviews" on YouTube.)
  17. Apr 3, 2014
    Gods not dead is an absolute great christian film with a very good twist ending! If you aren't a christian you might be convicted here. I highly recommend this movie because like the title God is not dead!!!!!!
  18. Mar 26, 2014
    Any time a movie has such polarized reviews you realize that it's going to be controversial. Those whom it spoke to loved it and others felt threatened by it (hence the 0 rating on the reviews).

Very few people have actually reviewed it on it's quality as a film but rather reviewed it based on it's content.

As a film it's very well made and the production quality is top notch. If you
    go into this movie with a negative attitude and wanting to hate it, you will. There is nothing that the director or actors could have done to make you not hate this movie if you disagree with its content. This is literally one of the only Christian films I've ever even sat through let alone enjoyed. The very fact that all of the negative reviews are angry atheists highlights the point that the movie was trying to make. So before you say it's propaganda look in the mirror and give yourself an honest assessment, do you want this movie to fail solely because it portrays faith in a positive light? If you do, then you are the reason this film exists.

TL;DR: Great production value, awesome arguments, superb acting. Absolutely not your usual Hollywood fare and that is extremely refreshing. Go see it with an open mind! Otherwise, don't waste your time as you will surely miss out on the message.
  19. Apr 1, 2014
    As a Christian, This is BAD Film making, just plain numb.

No character development.
    A really long Newsboys Ad Commercial.
    Duck Dynasty Commercial.
    Just Plain Christian standard bad quality film making.
    Portraying all Atheists as bitter persons.
    More predictable than the Rocky saga.
    Starts of as a philosophical fight but somehow it ends up as a Science class.
  20. Apr 3, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie was so wrong in all aspects. First they didn't even know proper Muslim "hijab" and obviously had no idea about the religion what so ever, like Americans don't hate Muslims enough and can't believe it showed the father hitting his daughter real Muslims DO NOT do that. Just more propaganda to hate other religions and races. This is coming from an agnostic that wants peace in the world which I see not coming since propaganda like this is coming out. Also makes Atheists look like stubborn selfish people who "hate" God and believe in him only because they feel they have had injustice in their life. Also it makes Christians look like bullies always having to be right about everything. I don't know why many church people expect all Professors as being Atheist. Most of my Professors I have had are Christian, and I remember when I was raised in the church they told me when I got in college Professors would try making me Atheist (which wasn't the case at all) Professors are and should always be bias to what they teach. Also the argument the Theist made was very weak. Terrible movie!!!!!! Movies like this is why we have not made much steps towards tolerance of other beliefs. Expand
  21. Apr 9, 2014
    Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
  22. Apr 4, 2014
    this movie was incredible; blown away. i don't get all the negative reviews: the movie simply made its point; it was evident in the title of the movie, and if you're somehow expecting an atheistic apologetic movie from this, then yes, you will be butthurt.
  23. Apr 27, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. God's Not Dead paints itself as a serious look at the question of the existence of [the Christian] God. This, while an interesting premise, does not in any way come into fruition. Instead 'God's Not Dead' is a movie which serves as an insult to philosophy. Even the basic argument "God is dead." is a misinterpretation of Friedrich Nietzsche's well-known phrase, which refers to God not being held in much of any regard within the culture and society rather than questioning his existence.

The movie displays atheists as simply 'closet Christians who are angry at God', and does nothing to acknowledge the varying faiths and differences in the interpretation of the existence of a god, and instead opts to solely focus on the Christian God. Furthermore, anyone who is not a Christian is displayed as being an unpleasant person to deal with, to say the least, with the only Muslims being displayed being portrayed as physically abusive and oppressive. The arguments, of both the student and the professor, within the film, when they are even present, are based on such logical fallacies as strawman, argument from ignorance and ad hominem, to name a few.

Of all of the few minutes dedicated to the actual arguments on the subject of the existence of the Christian deity, there is no form of compelling discussion on the topic, and the focus of the argument is reduced to a few quotes from scientists (instead of philosophers) and one rant on the topic. The potential time for any form of compelling argument was instead used to focus on numerous side stories which served to contribute little to the story. So much time is spent on these side stories, which are unrelated to the main character and the central plot, that there is little to no development for the numerous characters introduced in them, and as a result all the characters are dry with little to no depth to them. The only contribution to the story from these storylines is to contribute to a rushed and cliche ending involving Christianity triumphing over the 'evil, secular institution'.

Overall the movie is a disappointment on what could have been an interesting take on the centuries-long issue of the existence of a god in philosophy. Instead the movie serves only as a feel-good movie for those Christians who want to see a movie with Christianity 'winning' against secularism, and who do not care about that movie having any real argument, character development or quality writing.

In short, the movie performs poorly in terms of its quality as a movie, and is even worse in terms of its stated purpose. I found the movie to be barely watchable, and would not recommend it instead of a recommendation on what not to do when addressing this topic.
  24. Apr 3, 2014
    This movie gets a 1 because I got three solid laughs out of it. Firstly, this is without a doubt the most cynical, ridiculous "movie" I've ever seen. I watched this after hearing how amazing it was from religious friends of the family and family members. The acting was wooden, the camera work was absolutely horrible, and without a doubt the worst aspect was the dialogue. The only people I can see enjoying this movie are: the stupid, those with an extreme confirmation and/or persecution complex, and the hyper religious children it's meant for. Expand
  25. May 27, 2014
    Gods Not Dead was meant to be a christian drama that conveyed a strong message (Which it did). It is a powerful film. One that gets your mind thinking. I do not regret watching the film. Not once.
  26. Mar 27, 2014
    I loved this movie. it was awesome. The arguments betwen josh weaton and his professor were AWESOME!!! The acting was AWESOME! The arguments were awesome! The music was amazing AND SO WAS THIS MOVIE IDK ABOUT YOU BUT THIS SHOULD WIN OSCARS IF THEY HAD A BEST NEW STAR SHANE HARPER WOULD WIN! But this film is amazing go see it with your cousin, sister, brother, mom and dad, grandma and grandpa or even your friends. its a moving movie. so go see it Expand
  27. Mar 30, 2014
    Wow, the critics sure hate this movie. You need to attend to see why.
    This is a thought-provoking movie. Does this movie have an agenda? Absolutely. At least this movie admits it.
    There are several interwoven story lines--some very surprising. There are Christians in this movie who are portrayed as being everything from messed up to outright jerks. But there are other Christians
    who are portrayed as trying to do what is right, even when trying to do right is VERY difficult. Expand
  28. Apr 30, 2014
    My husband and I saw this movie recently, what a great movie, we both loved it, I guess if I did not believe in Jesus Christ for salvation I would not have enjoyed this movie. Wish we could have more movies like this for the Christian community...well worth seeing...
  29. Apr 15, 2014
    What you get if you combine all the stupidity and propaganda of cristianity? this movie. Do not waste your time in this so called *film* cause is just pointless and tries so hard to show atheism is bad and that atheists are bad horrible people. But i am glad that i pirated this movie but still i feel scammed. 0/10 pointless propaganda. The most funny part is that they include duck dinasty in it.Wonna know who are duck dinasty? Homophobic rednecks. Expand
  30. Apr 2, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I think everyone is reading waaaay into this thing. This movie is about a college kid, who in some cases don't even acknowledge God, who is being challenged by his teacher to prove Gods not dead. The teacher calls himself atheist because he said he "didn't think God existed" when in fact he did believe in God, he just hated him for taking his mom at an early age. Things like this can really happen.

Also, not all philosophy teachers are like this. Even the guy at the beginning of the movie who was looking over the main characters schedule and saw that he had a cross necklace on told him that he'd suggest he pick ANOTHER TEACHER in the same dept. So no, I don't believe it makes philosophers look bad.

Does this movie make atheist look bad? Probably, I'm obviously Christian but I've had a few discussions with atheist on facebook who say they don't even believe in God so how could they hate him. Well, yes since that's true it could make someone think all atheist are like that professor. That's why you have to go into the movie with an open mind, not criticise it. Yes I'm a Christian so yes I like it.

The main gist was this: a kid stood up for what he believed in and proved to his teacher that Gods not dead and won his whole class over. This could happen anywhere. I think all the critics already have their mind made up that they don't like the movie only because they don't believe. And as for those who claim theyre Christian, you're reading too far. If you believe in God and Jesus Christ and have a relationship with him, he will provide. He will protect and he'll always be there.

And I'm sorry for those who don't agree with me.
  31. Apr 9, 2014
    This movie was one of the best I have seen in a while. It had likable characters as well as a compelling story. It told a story of a corrupt society from several different view points, and each of those people had a good story to tell.

I can't say for sure if it correctly portrayed all Atheists, but I can say that of the Atheists that I've met and even befriended, it wasn't completely
    accurate. Though it did hit the nail on the head for some of them.

This movie was able to go from heart wrenching, to heart warming, right back to heart wrenching in a matter of a few minutes.

I enjoyed watching Josh Wheaton counter everything the professor threw at him, though he didn't know all the answers on the spot. But I feel that is what made him more real as a person, and not just some biased Christian who knew all the answers right off the bat.

In conclusion, I would recommend this to anyone looking for an understanding of the Christianity as a whole, but by looking at some on the reviews here, I'd say that they might not take my word for it.
  32. May 10, 2014
    Receives a 10/10 due to the extreme butt hurt it is causing with the atheist crowd many of whom haven't even watched the film. Whilst the film is indeed cliche, it sums up the problems with today's modern atheist crowd who are indeed bitter, angry and emotional as the negative reviews here all prove. I find it ironic that the atheists attempt to refute the movie's portrayal of atheists by living up to the exact stereotype the movie perpetrates of them. Expand
  33. Mar 30, 2014
    Though pleased with the film overall, the movie certainly made no attempt to draw the viewer in. The movie focused on too many people and certainly moved to quickly between their many issues. Many conflicts remained unresolved with a sudden, rather poorly designed and executed finish. For anyone who watched the film, "Join the movement; text your friends" was certainly a little too cheesy for me. There were, however, some comedic lines. As a Christian, I certainly enjoyed the strong stance the movie took and the strong message that it proclaimed. Expand
  34. May 15, 2014
    It's sad how many people who are hostile to Christianity feel the need to come on here and trash the film. What are they so afraid of? I'm a new Christian and went to see the film with my husband who is a non believer and we both enjoyed it. My husband isn't a militant atheist like most of the bad reviewers on here, he just doesn't believe in going to church. This film is for Christians and people seeking without hostility.

A few hostile reviewers claimed that the scenario is so unbelievable. They are out of touch. I've heard of numerous true stories about Christians being hassled by professors in college. In fact there is a great book called "The Insanity of Unbelief: A Journalist's Journey from Belief to Skepticism to Deep Faith" In which the author, investigative journalist Max Davis, explains a similar encounter with a professor humiliating him in front of the class for being a believer.

Christianity is the one religion that it's okay for everyone else to attack. There are constant portrayals of "Bad Christians" in thousands of movies out of Hollywood and some people freak out when there are a handful of Christian films to counter act them without the same huge budgets and star power. It's very reveling really. These people as well as some of the reviewers are acting just like the professor in the film.

Sure the movie is slanted and some of the Characters are one dimensional, it's supposed to be that way just like the thousands and thousands of anti-Christian films are. This film is a great response to all those anti-Christian films and if you're interested in some counter arguments, then it's a great film. If not, go back to the multitude a of anti-Christian films and hate on those for being biased against Christians if fair and balanced is what you demand from every film.
  35. Apr 18, 2014
    This added to my faith and entertained me. As a student, I appreciated the familiarity of the University Campus setting of "God's Not Dead." As a Christian, I believe the movie's theme that one can accept the forgiveness & sovereignty of Christ at any time in ones life is accurate.
  36. Apr 24, 2014
    I just watched this movie and found it so inspirational. I'm a sophomore in high school and I loved this movie. It makes you think about God and it compares Atheism to Theism, which helps to prove that God is real and not dead. I recommend this to anyone doubting God or anyone who is a believer as well. Overall it was an amazing movie, which cleared up many of my questioning thoughts.
  37. May 3, 2014
    Best Firm for Christians to see and understand how to deal with the world. This movie is real as I have personally dealt with these kind of people who sadly hate God for the bad things that have happen to them in their lives. This films teaches how to deal with unbelievers in a positive way.
  38. May 15, 2014
    Admittedly, I am giving this movie 10 stars instead of 8, mostly to battle all the negative reviews because I found the film to be refreshing, even as a long-time atheist.
    During my college freshman years when I was still a Christian, I had to deal with red state atheist bully professors (usually teaching in red states because they can find more Christians to bully there), and I know
    there are some teachers who like to test their power over their students' lives by asking their opinions on all sorts of obscure topics, but frequently one is religion, and then downgrading those who disagree with their own philosophies. It DOES happen. I wish there were Christian lobbying and legal groups who would have been there to defend me against some of those types during my own young naive Christian years.
    College professors can also abuse their power in other ways (usually sexual harassment, etc.) and it's just a given that students should be protected from that. Nobody questions it.
    That being said, I was never some preachy self-righteous Bible-quoting sheep. I was a curious kid from a Christian home who would eventually drop my faith, but certainly NOT because I was bullied for it. I dropped my Christian faith after reading books by Richard Dawkins, Bertrand Russell and Robert Ingersoll (still my personal favorite). But I read those books on my own free time, because I was curious. None of the bully atheist professors even mentioned any of these authors to me. I sure wish they had. Bully professors only want to hurt their students, not educate them. I became an arrogant atheist myself for a few years, and I can't say I was truly trying to educate people during that time either. But the atheist books made me feel free of religious superstition. Most of my hostility towards believers came from my having gone so long myself, feeling trapped by that.
    Eventually I realized that faith in an afterlife is probably pretty important in a world that has to deal with death of family members & loved ones. It helps them cope. You know this better when you've experienced it. And belief in a deity is -sadly- also necessary in a world where most people don't just naturally have a high ethical self-standard without it.
    While ethics are certainly possible without a god, and civilized behavior, there are few who truly are ethical and civilized without needing some ultimate reward for it, so as best to follow after death. Religion is not all bad. To anyone who thinks we'd have a better world without it, I say: not everyone is intellectually equipped to handle it. If you think religious people are scary when they have a religion, take that religion away, and I guarantee many of them would only get worse.
    Some scenes I could *really* do without: cut out the Duck Dynasty crap. There's is not star power the movie needed, and it would have done much better without. Even when I was a Christian, I would have found it icky & distasteful; these people speaking for me.
    The Newsboys advertising was a bit too heavy as well. Just a poster here, and a concert there is enough. The atheist professor did not need to die in the end for the message to be uplifting. I think having him convert in frantic desperation, while dying, struck a lot of people as cliche and heavy-handed.
    The Muslim dysfunction was very uncomfortable to watch, but here in America, we are loaded with news articles telling us of far worse behavior done in the name of that religion. If it's true, it ain't slander. There was no acid thrown into anyone's faces, nobody's nose got cut off, no honor killings, no suicide bombings, no stonings, no burqa bombs. So yes; it was very uncomfortable, but still tame compared to what the mainstream news reports give us.
    As for the philosophical debate; good effort. I'd have liked to see the Christian's arguments be just a little stronger, and I'd have also preferred the atheist professor base his position on logic rather than sordid emotion, but I get that it's a feel-good Christian-happy flick, not a religious nor political documentary. I will cut it some slack. It wasn't as laughably emotional as The Mormon Proposition when reporting relies heavily on crazy wild rumors & off-the-wall schmulz, bordering on deliberate misinfo, but the movie risks coming quite close.
    I liked most of the movie but wish I could cut entire scenes out, but if you're an atheist like me and you don't like being preached at, give this film a chance anyway. I didn't feel TOO preached at.
  39. Apr 26, 2014
    I give this movie a 10, because it has the courage to speak the Truth. Every person is Destined to stand before Jesus, whether you love Him or pretend He doesn't exist. The evidence that we are created beings with a body, soul, and spirit is more overwhelming now, than any other time in history. This movie brushes the surface of the depth of these facts. The idea of evolution is completely ludicrous, yet the hate of God, as expressed by the teacher in this movie, drives the lunacy that fills our schools. This movie could have been written with a much stronger message and more evidence, but it is still a great movie. I would also change the title to: "God is still ALIVE!" Expand
  40. Apr 3, 2014
    Well Rats. First, I need to say as a university faculty member and a Christian, I deeply believe in the overall MESSAGE of this movie: The God of Abraham and Paul and Mother Teresa and Pope Francis and MY God, and his son Jesus Christ are alive and instructing and blessing me daily. People do need to know about the resource and comfort and "rock" that God provides. For that the movie gets an "A." And I'd also say that although there are strident Christians who misuse the public square for hateful messages, there IS an attempt in the secular community, and certainly in the academy, to marginalize Christians. Faculty members do use their power in the classroom to try to silence opinions with which they disagree in a violation of BOTH sections of the first amendment.

That said, the movie itself was not very realistic. A professor giving a student twenty minutes in each of three classes to make the case for God and putting it to a class vote? Come on. I can see how a Christian kid who'd been abused in a secular professor's classroom would fantasize bout such a thing, but it ain't gonna happen.

The Pure Flix movies tend to follow this pattern--sincere but not especially well done. I like Sherwood Pictures (Fireproof, Courageous) better and will continue to support Christian movies as they evolve and get better. The Christian movie genre is still in its infancy and deserves an chance to improve.

So "A" for effort and overall message, but, with regret, "D" for everything else.
  41. Apr 17, 2014
    One of the worst movies I've ever seen.

Besides the fact that the premise is ridiculous and it's nothing but propaganda, everything about it is just awful.
  42. Apr 15, 2014
    Didn't even have to see it to understand what a ****stain it is. Read the description and was turned away IMMEDIATELY. mitchjpjr2...well can go **** himself.
  43. May 12, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I became interested in this movie after I came across its trailer. I do not support any religious view but I wanted to see a movie that would challenge me philosophically about the presence of a deity as it promised and basically the arguments in the movie is a disgrace to logic. There are too many unnecessary characters that do not contribute to the overall scenario and when the entire movie prepares you for a showdown of logic and fails you during the process, then it is hard to find to find something positive about this film.

This is the film about a philosophy professor who turns out to be angry at the God whom he believes in and this professor has the logic of an 8 year old who does not even know the introductory philosophy like what "God is dead" stands for in context. I would literally have more information about both sides of the arguments under a Youtube comment section for controversial videos. I literally do not care about which side of the argument is supported during the entire movie but this movie is just purely stupid and useless when it fails to achieve what it promises.
  44. Apr 23, 2014
    Insanity, craziness or madness is a spectrum of behaviors characterized by certain abnormal mental or behavioral patterns. Insanity may manifest as violations of societal norms, including a person becoming a danger to themselves or others, though not all such acts are considered insanity. In modern usage insanity is most commonly encountered as an informal unscientific term denoting mental instability, or in the narrow legal context of the insanity defense. In the medical profession the term is now avoided in favor of diagnoses of specific mental disorders; the presence of delusions or hallucinations is broadly referred to as psychosis. When discussing mental illness in general terms, "psychopathology" is considered a preferred descriptor.

In English, the word "sane" derives from the Latin adjective sanus meaning "healthy". The phrase "mens sana in corpore sano" is often translated to mean a "healthy mind in a healthy body". From this perspective, insanity can be considered as poor health of the mind, not necessarily of the brain as an organ (although that can affect mental health), but rather refers to defective function of mental processes such as reasoning. Another Latin phrase related to our current concept of sanity is "compos mentis" (lit. "sound of mind"), and a euphemistic term for insanity is "non compos mentis". In law, mens rea means having had criminal intent, or a guilty mind, when the act (actus reus) was committed.

A more informal use of the term insanity is to denote something considered highly unique, passionate or extreme, including in a positive sense. A notable example has been the use of the phrase 'insanely great' in the launch of the Apple Macintosh, subsequently also used to describe one of its developers. The term may also be used as an attempt to discredit or criticise particular ideas, beliefs, principles, desires, personal feelings, attitudes, or their proponents, such as in politics and religion.
  45. Apr 18, 2014
    Pleasantly surprised by the strong message it sends and the fact does not compromise the message of Christianity as a lot of movies today do. I actually went because of the highly positive and negative extremes of the reviews. Either you believe or you don't...plain and simple. There's no lukewarmness in the message that Jesus himself would approve of as it does not compromise the Word of God but tells it as it is written the way it should be told! Message is clear. Expand
  46. Apr 13, 2014
    “God’s not Dead” is a great movie for anyone who wants to know the truth about Evolution, Atheism, God/Jesus and what each have to offer mankind. Evolution defined: Man making a monkey of himself. Atheism defined: A man who thinks he is a monkey and believes there is no God. The point of this movie is to show man the error of his way and the need for a Savior/God. There are 2 paths in this life: 1.) The straight and narrow path which leads to eternal life/Heaven through Jesus Christ. 2.) The crooked and broad path that leads to death/Hell through unbelief and rejection of Jesus the Christ. If you are tired of seeing movies with the one sided view that there is no God…man comes from monkeys…who evolved from some single celled organism or some green slime, then see this movie with an open heart and an ear to hear. You will be glad you did! The movie admission fee will be money well spent. Expand
  47. Apr 15, 2014
    Really Good movie, I was a blessing for me and my friends, I think the reason people like to give bad reviews is because the movie talks a lot about Jesus, which is a topic that not many people like. I hope this movie is a blessing for does that are willing to open their heart and understand that God is not dead, and that we all need Jesus to be saved.
  48. Apr 17, 2014
    Two-dimensional characters, ridiculous and boring dialogue, melodramatic acting out of incredibly convoluted and uninteresting scenarios, and an overall stupid message. Anybody that's been to college knows that these kind of situations simply don't happen. Any professor that required students to give a statement of faith counter to their real faith in order to get a passing grade would be sued and terminated by the university. Further, there is no way that a college in the south would have an entire freshman class full of people willing to go along with such a request (save for the one hero of the story).

The fact that this movie was based on a debunked chain email is really the worst part, though. This is nothing more than pandering to group of people who cannot think for themselves and who will put money into the pockets of the film's creators.

This is easily the worst movie I've ever seen.
  49. Apr 25, 2014
    Can I just be to the point and say that this movie made me throw up a little just sitting through that "debate"? For starters, it was not a proper debate setting and that "philosophy professor" was more akin to a fumbling uneducated moron in Youtube comment sections. It is really easy to win a debate if you make your competitor an idiot, and that is what the movie did for that professor.
    Whatever makes Christians slap their thighs in joy because, "HA HA HURR THE CHRISTIAN WINSSS" just... sure. Go for it. Enjoy your **** movie.
  50. May 4, 2014
    As a Christian myself, I'll be way too bias when it comes to movies in this area. I understand that this film will more likely appeal to the Christian audience than the general public, but its heart and intentions are in the right place.
  51. Apr 20, 2014
    This film is beyond bad! If anything it seems so desperate to promote christianity that it does the opposite. Making out that all university does is beat your religion out of you. All my lecturers at university believed in god and didn't push anyone either way. Also to suggest that the only reason you could be atheist is because you have been wronged by god. Would not recommend this film to atheist and christians alike. Shame Expand
  52. Jul 15, 2014
    Don't take the average rating for this movie at face value, the rating is actually a reflection of the truth of the movie - ie that lots of people hate God. And this fact is actually a reflection of most who call themselves atheist: they resent God and resent the moral compass they are born with. It is a huge surprise a pleasure in this day and age to find a movie with the insight shown in this one.

The movie is also accurate in its portrayal of atheist professors. It
    has been well documented that philosophical and scientific professors
    especially enjoy undermining the faith of their students. These
    professions attract atheists who use their position of authority to
    destroy the religious beliefs of their students.

A lot of "Christians" are writing in their reviews that they found the
    film offensive because it surmises atheists are dishonest, or know the
    truth but are unwilling to face it. I would say to those people; if it
    were possible to be a perfectly honest atheist, then God would be in
    the wrong to favour believers before them. So is God wrong, or is the
    atheist less than willing to face the truth? The fact is, as evidenced
    by atheists all over the internet and even in the higher echelons of
    philosophical debate, atheists are dishonest and more often than not,
    downright nasty. This movie portrays atheism and its promulgation very
    accurately.

The sound track is a little cheesy. Frankly, the movie is a little
    cheesy, but it is heartwarming, honest, and an antidote to all of the
    culture poison we are force-fed by the regular media and Hollywood. For
    this reason i give it 10 stars. Highly recommended.
  53. May 8, 2014
    An endearing tale about a little girl and her love affair with an inoperable tumor. Dumb people eat this sort of thing up, especially if they hate everybody except themselves.
  54. Apr 27, 2014
    Movies like this do more harm to Christians than they realize. It promotes an unrealistic and shallow viewpoint of the theological debate that Christians find themselves in the real word. The movie seems like it was written by someone who never attended a university, instead being told how it is a haven for godless sinners.
  55. Apr 28, 2014
    Even though I am a Christian, I believe in choice and people should have a choice whether they want to believe or not and while I do feel sorry for them that they don't believe in something that could help their life but that does not mean they are a bad person and that's what this movie does that makes it absolute crap. This is just propaganda to make all non believers look like very bitter people, shame on the director for this piece of propaganda. Expand
  56. May 7, 2014
    I entered the theater expecting this movie to be mediocre at best. A 4/10, maybe. I left thinking that this was one of the worst movies I have ever seen. God's Not Dead is one of the more poorly written, poorly acted, and just down-right insulting. Avoid this movie like the plague.
  57. Apr 10, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I thought it was a great movie. The casting was good, and the writing of the argument was good. Now my negative comments. I thought it had a very predictable ending and way too many characters with their own plot lines. The only surprising thing there was was the professor getting hit by the car of the girl's brother. I thought the ending was very weak. I feel it could have been a lot better and the writers just said "Im out!" or something like that. The casting was good for this type of movie. Because usually religious movies have very bad acting. I also found it funny that since they couldn't use Staples Center, they used the Hastings Center. So, in conclusion i feel the plot was decent & cast was good. Normally i would give it a 7, but with the weak ending and the so many plot lines, id have to give it a 5. Expand
  58. Apr 22, 2014
    I wish there was a negative value for the score.Every once in a while these stupid Christian movies are released to torture us.Makes me wish i didn't know any Christians.Who funds these nonsense movies?
  59. Apr 30, 2014
    Pure lunacy. This film is crap. Everything in this movie sucks. Acting, writing, it's philosophy. It's yet another retarded propaganda film created by idiots who live by a book that says the earth is flat, gays are evil and it's okay to rape women as long as you pay their father 50 silver coins. God is DEAD! AND I KILLED HIM! AND DANCED ON HIS GRAVE!!!
  60. May 13, 2014
    The fact that this movie exists is proof there is no god. The arguments were pathetic at best, and the acting was what you would expect from a grade school play. It was Jim Jones koolaid drinking Christian propaganda.
  61. Aug 17, 2014
    It's a movie made by christians with the hopes to not only entertain fellow christians, but also spread the message and love of Jesus to nonbelievers. Basically the standard of any christian film. As you can see from the vast majority of reviews on here it doesn't do a good job of drawing in nonbelievers, and will offend all but the most open-minded of them.

This has to do with the way
    the non-believing characters are portrayed. It paints atheists and other nonbelievers as just bad people, who do nothing but hurt those who are christians, whether they be family or strangers, and constantly try to get them to deny their faith. I get that there are people like that in the world, but the movie doesn't show that there are those who are tolerant of it. Instead painting every non-christian as that. It will offend non-believers for that, and not because of it's message that "God's not dead."

As far as things like acting and plotting go it's not too bad, but could be better. Outside of a select few (basically just the main two characters) the acting could be better. The main plot is very well done, but is surrounded by a few lackluster sub-plots that really just feel like unnecessary intrusions that break up the flow of the movie. To make matters worse only a few pay off in the end. Still the main plot delivers and, outside of the previously mentioned way of how it portrays non-christians, it won't (or rather shouldn't) offend with it's message.

Watching the back and forth between the teacher and student is actually quite entertaining. The movie manages to make a compelling argument for why "God's not dead," and it does so without shoving religious belief down the throats of the non-believing audience. It more or less shows why people follow the christian faith and believe in God, gives a strong argument for why it's right, and tells you to do with that what you will. It's pretty impressive stuff that doesn't come off as preachy.

So at the end of the day the movie isn't perfect, but for christians it will be one empowering film that any non-believer should see. For non-christians it has the potential to offend quite a bit, but if they are willing to accept that it's portrayal of non-christians is flawed, and solely just watch it to see why christians believe the way they do, then they may find an eye opening film. One that might not get them more interested in learning more about Jesus, but will at lest show them that christians aren't lunatics for their faith. My total score for the movie is a 7.5/10.
  62. Aug 13, 2014
    Technically it is a bit of a disaster I have to admit....but I'm willing to give bonus points for the overall feel of the movie....I just love the way I felt the positive ambiance of the movie.....I just wished it succeeded technically.....
  63. Jul 23, 2014
    I just want to say that I am very tolerant of religion (many of my family being born-again Christians) and that I am truly not posting this review because I am biased. The reason why I am giving it a zero rating is because it's religious propaganda to the fullest and the only people seeing/buying it are? You guessed it right...Christians.

Heck it even features a cameo from Willie
    Robertson and his wife. And we all know the Duck Dynasty crew are the spear head of this new Christian craze that is going on (and thankfully dying really quickly). God's Not Dead is religious propaganda and the only good reviews are from those who are Christians and everyone who is not is going to bash it because they see it for what is truly is. Expand
  64. Jun 24, 2014
    I feel really bad for the people who gave this movie a positive review. Not a single person in their right mind would give this above a 2. The acting in this movie is absolutely dreadful, and atheists are portrayed as hateful people, just for the fun of it. It portrays the misotheist philosophy teacher as an indoctrinating son of a **** That's rather ironic, as the sole purpose of this movie is to talk **** about muslims and atheists, while portraying christians as perfect and right no matter what they do. Dropped in to give this movie a 0, as a user score of 3.1 is far too high. Expand
  65. Jul 17, 2014
    One of the most absurd pieces of straw man argument ever committed to modern film. If it was marketed as a comedy, I'd give it 3 stars, otherwise it's just clumsy and moronic.
  66. Aug 16, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I could see where this was going the whole time.
    There were a few elements that threw me for a loop: 1) unrealistic "girlfriend" of the main character - no significant other would trounce your dreams so obviously. It seemed forced really.
    2) The professor attacks the student personally (who would do that) and completely invalidates his points. Even in high school debate or discussions, they teach you a personal attack without relevance is just about the worst thing you could do. 3) Most surprising was the "rental car" fiasco that keeps appearing throughout with the youth minister. Why not just rent from a different company or take a cab? Hilarious.
    About half-way through I noticed where everything was going and began to try note where the unrealistic points/ideas/situations were present (maybe that's the intent by the director?). I almost got to the point of saying "Leave boy! Leave the school because it's ridiculous! Leave the girl because she's insane! File a report against the professor for a personal attack!" (See a theme here?)
    In summary, rent if you want a good laugh. Although some valid points are made (don't follow like sheep, stand for your beliefs), the way they were presented and challenged were laughable (see above). Don't buy unless you want to show to your friends or try to pick apart the flaws of a patchwork film.
  67. Jun 7, 2014
    Consensus: While definitly has its moments, God's Not Dead is messy, scattershot, has very surreal characters and fails to convince. 60/100 (C+)

I watched this film because it was a success on the box office despite its critical failure. I'm catholic but I'm not 100% comfortable with my religion so i thought that this film could help me a little bit with that and yes this film in few
    scenes makes you think a lot but fails to convince at the end. It's a big premise and some part of the cast is pretty likable but the whole film is a mess, is full of confusing and dull characters (mostly of them)

Amy Ryan a cancer patient (performed by the talented young actress Trisa La Fache) and Josh Wheaton student (performed by the Disney's star Shane Harper) are the best characters and the best performers of the film. That's why i give it a 3/5 rating, these young actors raise this **** film. The rest of the cast is awful, bad acting, stupid and dumb situations, awful script (for the most part), too much characters and most of them dull and unlikable and only LaFache and Harper have the best moments.

God's Not Dead is pretentious and smartless, anyway this film will find its audience, christian people will love it. It's not an awful film the problem here is that it's a mess and could be much better and i personally hate the ending because it's very pretentious and disappointing. This film makes you think about your religion and the existentialism, but at the end God's Not Dead is just cheap propaganda.

The characters are so annoying, unbelieveable, surreal and dumb. Weak and unbelieveable dialogue, this film handles really important issues as the cancer, abuse, relationships, etc. But the director has no idea of how to handle them. The actions and the dialogue of the characters are astonishingly unbelieveable. The man who wrote this script must be crazy. I'm very mad with this film and this director. I really enjoyed all the scenes in the classroom with Shane Harper, he's a rising star and i can't wait to see him as a protagonist in more films, i also enjoyed some drama with Trisha La Fache (the pretty girl with cancer) she's talented and she almost made me cry.

Extremely scattershot film, big premise awfully executed, dumb and dull characters (most of them), careless direction and uneven script. God's not Dead has its moments but ends up being cheap propaganda and fails to convince. However it will find its audience. Visit my blog: memobosque.blogspot.mx Twitter @MemoBosque
  68. May 16, 2014
    This movie is a joke. It doesn't at all paint an accurate description of atheists. They are potrayed as angry and hateful, but many atheist you will meet are the exact opposite. Her humanist bumper sticker is a joke. Most people who believe differently than you aren't abrasive and hostile, more often then not, they simply leave you alone. I was extremely disapointed with this. It perpetuates bad steriotypes and doesn't logically exammine both sides of the debate in detail. I can honestly say I hated this movie and I really didn't want to. As the daughter of parents who are catholic and atheist, I wanted it to find common ground and reconcile both belief's viewpoints, and to see the people who represent these two differing opinions potrayed accuratley and without bias. As an agnostic, this didn't sway me, it disgusted me. My father is nothing like the atheists potrayed in this movie, and most atheists aren't. And lets be real (spoiler) even though the professor converted at the end and always had a faith in God, he is put up on a petastal that is supposed to represents nonbelievers as a whole, and it only makes the other side look bad, because it potrays secular people as inherently moral-less and bad. Examples like this movie are exactly why people don't follow organized religon, if at all. Expand
  69. May 24, 2014
    Christians are not supposed to be an insecure people. When one is secure in their faith they shouldn't need to demonize other groups of people. The evil atheist professor just shows how some people believe they are victims. Horrible acting, horrible story, and offensive to any non-Christians. Also offensive to any real Christians, the dogmatic ones probably loved this film.
  70. Aug 9, 2014
    My parents brought this movie back and made me watch it from RedBox. I was hoping that it would be at least somewhat neutral in expressing both sides of the debate, but it was even worse than I thought. It isn't propaganda - its pornography. It's pornography in the sense that it is totally demeaning to non-Christians, and *Spoiler alert* they all convert at the end. Oh ya baby. Just want the Christians want. All those dirty non-Christians get down on their knees and get filled up with the love of God. They feel Jesus come inside them and they rejoice in all of the spirit. Nothing gets you hot and heavy for God like watching a bunch of dumb angry sinners get saved. Expand
  71. May 12, 2014
    As a "hobby" philosopher I hade some hopes toward this film, but it turned out be be a disappointment. The base idea was actually good, but it didn't use it well at all. This could be a very interesting and powerfull movie, it's a shame that it wasted almost all of it's potential. The portraying of the philosophy professor was so poor that is almost offensive. I'm not talking about the actor, but the character, which is so far from any sane philosopher. Expand
  72. Aug 17, 2014
    Put aside the religious bias because that is what is expected in this film, the movie is embarrassing and quite frankly awkward to watch. The movie is simply made poorly with worthless side stories, weird placement of scenes and terrible acting. If the point was to make people believe God was still relevant, well than you did a good job in the Christian community and took 5 steps back with everyone else. Expand
  73. Aug 31, 2014
    God's Not Dead may indeed satisfy strong Christians, but as a movie critic there are too many sub-plots/side-stories that (for the most part) have nothing to do with the overall story and is filled with propaganda in which there's hardly anything to say about the Christian faith. As far as the unnecessary side characters, some are just horrible human beings. I can't even call one in particular a real character. It is filled with some of the worst blatant stereotypes in the history of mankind. It's also a product placement scheme for Newsboys and Duck Dynasty, which once again serve no purpose. I will give credit to Shane Harper (Josh) who gives a fine performance as well as the pastor and his friend. Even though they don't really have any to truly do with the movie as well, those two are literally the only characters that truly get the message around about God and the christian faith. And I actually kind of like them. Other than that, the movie is just a mess! I give it a D+! Expand
  74. Aug 30, 2014
    Isn't it interesting how many people claim that they actually spent money and went to see the film, then bashed it with "0"?? NOTHING redeemable??? What did you expect??!! It's a Christian film!. With a Christian message! It's just what I expected..(actually, even a tad deeper than I expected, as I thought it was just the college bias story). I as able to look beyond the cliches and predictable ending (as happens with most inspirational sports films, BTW), to see the message. I thought much of the acting was good (with some obvious exceptions). I found it worth my time and money. I applaud the courage to make such a film, knowing that it would get panned by those who are very biased against Christianity. Expand
  75. Sep 19, 2014
    Most Atheists are ignorant pricks. They expect respect but give none. They movie does have a great message for kid's and the like. Go see it. I really like all the themes the movie provides.
  76. May 13, 2014
    I wanted to see a good movie but it ended up being a bad one.....DISAPPOINTED!!!!!!!!

Jokes aside this movie was quite horrendous. This idea that a college professor would walk into a class and tell the entire class that God is not real is just so cliche.
  77. May 19, 2014
    Hands down the worst movie I have ever watched in my entire life. Its just typical christian propaganda, I came to this movie hoping for a balanced argument between theists and atheists which showed both sides and used actual science. Instead it is heavily biased against the atheists using the "atheists are just angry at god for one reason or another" stereotype. On the other hand the christian arguments more often than not boil down to circular reasoning "god is real because it says so in the bible". Also there are duck dynasty cameos, a show which I absolutely loathe which didn't do anything to improve my opinion. Expand
  78. Aug 2, 2014
    I came from a country that everything about Christianity is banned. It's sad to see that most people in this country can access to great Christian movies but just take Jesus' love for you for granted. I love the Lord and know he's with me at all times because I SEEK. I enjoy the debates here because in many people's eyes, Christians are weak, low in intelligence, and only love, never interfere with people. If you don't know God, welcome to debate. It will clear your mind from your emotional, illogical, loose mental set. Expand
  79. Aug 20, 2014
    Wow... Did that just happen? Wait, this movie was actually made AND I watched it... The characters are all so over the top that it's a distraction. From the parody of a philosophy professor to the idiotic student to the implausible mean-girl girlfriend, the whole thing runs like a high-school play gone awry. I'm shocked (shocked I say!) this movie ever got made.
  80. Aug 23, 2014
    A Razzie for the worst script would be the most deserving recognition this movie can receive. This movie is, essentially, the materialization of the dreams of your average door-to-door preacher. Nothing would make me happier than to see the scriptwriter pick up his Golden Raspberry.
  81. Aug 27, 2014
    I think some people are being unfair to this movie because of its religious nature; I also think some people are over-praising it for the same reason.

Myself, I enjoyed the movie. Kevin Sorbo was known to me only as Hercules and the Andromeda captain; in this movie, he blew those types away in the first few minutes and started establishing a whole different persona. I love it when
    actors do this!

And if you think his aggressive atheism isn't plausible, then you haven't been reading enough headlines; the closing credits include a slew of legal cases you can investigate to find that this very sort of thing does go on enough to make this plausible as something that actually happens.

The film is educational. How many other movies expose you to philosophers, NUMEROUS philosophers to stimulate your thinking and entice you to learning more about philosophical thought. Whichever side you take, there's something to interest you. One board full of names is a who's who of non-theistic thinkers. Lots to look up and learn about! And the film takes you through various arguments on one of the most important questions of human existence. How much more educational can it get?

As much information as the film carries, it also has enough emotional stuff going on that I found myself moved or frightened a number of times. This is a dimension of what we all go to movies for.

It's got good music, too.

In sum, this movie gave me a good experience on a number of dimensions. I can't give it my highest rating, because I reserve that for the very best.

Again, speaking as a movie watcher, I think some people are just dissing this movie because they're hostile to its message, as opposed to taking a neutral approach and judging the movie on movie merits.
  82. Sep 2, 2014
    As an Evangelical Christian it pains me to say that this is another example of a movie that I wanted to like, but could not. We can point to many examples in Hollywood movies and Television where Christians are portrayed as unreasonable zealots. But this does not give us permission to return the favor and portray secular academia, or secular society in general, as antagonistic, cold, and shallow as this movie does. I typically hate to see stereotypical characters in any movie. In this movie it is far too obvious who the "bad-guys" are in this movie, and who the "good-guys" are. I would love to see a portrayal of a philosophical debate about theism that doesn't give us so many obvious reasons to dislike those in the "non-believers" camp. As a movie that "preaches to the choir, this movie is fine. But as a movie intended to be evangelistic, I do not recommend it. It is too heavy-handed and manipulative. And to think that it would not be perceived that way by most of secular society is insulting to them. Arrogance is typically more subtle, and therefore harder to find & acknowledge. Real humility requires depth of character and honest soul-searching. To portray a Christian Faith that has real depth and compassion, we must reflect the depth that exists in the secular world as well. Anything else cheapens the Human condition and, on an individual level, the human soul. In it's place I recommend "Chariots of Fire" or "To End all Wars" as tools for Evangelism. These are movies that acknowledge Human struggle, intellect, and Faith hand-in-hand where the viewer can easily walk away with a positive view of the Christian faith while not being spoon fed. It's high time that the Christian movie-making community raise the bar. A world that was lost in sin led Christ to the cross. It should lead Christians to excellence in all of it's Evangelical endeavors as well. Expand
  83. Sep 2, 2014
    I saw the movie last night and I thought it sent a pretty clear message to all the atheists out there that there is a God. The acting was good and most of the bashers of the movie are probably non believers and are not church goers. If I had a professor in philosophy like that one I would drop the class and sign up for a class where I could actually learn something. That being said I will give the movie a 9 as it was not perfect. Expand
  84. Sep 4, 2014
    Personally I loved this movie!!! An inspiring story .... Sometimes it can be difficult to stand up for your faith in an increasingly atheistic and secular society. It challenged me to be more proactive about my Faith! Wish there were more movies like this!!
  85. Sep 4, 2014
    More than Christian propaganda, this movie portrays how stupid the real America still is. Even though it's awful, I enjoyed watching it because of the sense of superiority it gave me over those stupid people who made this movie and everyone who liked it. I do believe in God, my God, and so why would the Muslim and the Chinese suddenly give in to Jesus adding to the hilarity of the movie? The most painful part is to see the association of the Robertson family with this movie since we all love them so much. Oh my God America... really? Expand

Overwhelming dislike - based on 5 Critics

1. Reviewed by: Marjorie Baumgarten
    Mar 28, 2014
    Any just God would likely recoil from the ham-fisted and spurious defense put forth in this film.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd VanDerWerff
    Mar 24, 2014
    Even by the rather lax standards of the Christian film industry, God’s Not Dead is a disaster.
  3. Reviewed by: Stephen Farber
    Mar 23, 2014
    The film has entertaining moments, but these are clearly secondary to its proselytizing intentions.