5.0

1. Apr 14, 2013
    I was greatly disappointed since I was a huge fan of the many Japanese Godzilla aka Gojira films. This Godzilla just didn't feel right to me. In fact, just about everthing is wrong with it. It has a bad script, bad acting, mediocre special effects, and it's unbelievably cheesy. The biggest problem is that it doesn't even feel like a Godzilla film it just feels like a ripoff of Jurassic Park and King Kong. Expand
  2. Jun 11, 2011
    Based on the Godzilla Japanese franchise and a re-imagining of a 1954 movie of the same name (in which I haven't even watched/heard before), it was known for being one of the best movies of 1998 despite it having received Golden Raspberry Awards. Now to get on with the story.

After a mutation was caused from the lizards by the french in French Polynesia, a deadly reptilian creature was
    created and migrates to New York City, destroying everything in sight. Dr. Nick Tatopoulos is called by the military force to do research on this gigantic creature and to aid them to stop it once and for all.

Do you think that Action and Science Fiction movies keep you interested on what's going on? Then, frankly, this is one of them.

The good things that I found to be tolerable was the cinematography, Matthew Broderick's performance, the CGI, the music score and the action scenes.

The bad things are the plot holes, overused clichés, the scenes, the development, and the scenes in where the hatchlings of Godzilla started to eat the team by ripping off the scenes from Jurassic Park that were very familiar.

Godzilla isn't good or bad either. It just did okay and it's a very mediocre action/science fiction movie, but at least Roland Emmerich tried. It is worth watching and a guilty pleasure on DVD or VHS only.

3. Oct 6, 2011
    "Godzilla", the remake of the (gasp!) Godzilla movie in Japan, is pure trash. This time not even Roland's broad visuals can't save this clunky film. If you think you were going to watch this, forget it. It's just unbelievably terrible.
  4. Aug 28, 2010
    oh Godzilla what have they done to you. even TOHO company the japanese film complany that makes the godzilla films in japan was disgusted with what was done to godzilla by hollywood. that giant lizard on the big screen was not godzilla and calling it Godzilla felt like a insult . if this was not called godzilla i might be able to squeeze out a 5 or a 6 for this film . the special effects where ver nice but thats about it. the film felt abit to cheesey even for the japanese godzilla films . atleast the japanese saved godzilla abit with Godzilla 2k. Expand
  5. Apr 3, 2011
    I'm curious why this flick pan by critics. OK cheesy CGI and plot, but this flick still entertaining than Roland Emerich's **** blockbuster 2012
  6. Aug 28, 2011
    Roland Emmerich's movies are some of the worst of all popular movies to be marketed and watches by the masses of uncritically minded morons who are easily entertained by visual effects and who are satisfied with mediocrity. If you were to cut the visual effects from this movie you would be left with shallow uninteresting characters, cliche dialogue, a formulaic story, gaping scientific and historical inaccuracies, and illogical plot development. I actually love special effects but I guess these things bother me more than most as I believe that movies have more potential then the 'popcorn' films Emmerich makes every few years, and it would be easier for me not worry about so much if they werent so popular. Just because a movie is trying to be a 'popcorn flick' and not trying to be intelligent does NOT make it a good one. Expand
  7. Oct 22, 2011
    It was an okay movie. Not my favorite but it was at least okay. Not one of Roland Emmerich's best movies but it wasn't terrible. Okay movie that's all I'm saying.
  8. Jul 26, 2011
    Godzilla? More like Attack of the Radioactive Iguanas. This isn't a Godzilla film. This movie is disgrace to the name. If you want to watch this movie go ahead. But you know even though its a disgrace to TOHO and the name it isn't that bad of a movie. Its a monster movie at least. It a simple monster movie. Monster attack city people fight its a nothing more than a simple monster movie that ruined the name of GODZILLA. Expand
  9. Jul 31, 2011
    Argh! This movie makes me so mad! I grew up loving Godzilla when I was little, you know, the old Japanese cheesy, yet awesome, adventures of fighting guys in rubber monster suits. the good ol' days. One of my favorite things in the series was how awesome Godzilla looked. A cross between a giant...ummm...and a big...umm...with the-uh-vague appearance of a giant dinosaur! I don't know, but the point is, he was awesome! Now, they finally make a movie in america with the greatest effects, good-named actors, all being filmed in New York City! Sounds pretty epic, until you actually see the movie. The first question I've ever had for this movie is why the heck is Godzilla a T-rex? Seriously? They are finally making a movie about possibly the greatest monster movie franchise of all time (next to King Kong, of coarse) with all the right tools and that's what they came up with? I know there are fans of this movie, and I don't hold a grudge against them in any way, that will debate that Godzilla is a giant iguana and not a T-rex. But really look at him. He looks like something out of Jurassic Park. I can see why some people like this movie, but frankly do not and that's all I've got to say about that. Expand
  10. Dec 20, 2012
    Damn that time flies so fast...
    I remember the 1998 when I was just 8 years old and watched it alongside same-name cartoon anyway it was good film for that time...

But today, its only nostalgia of thing which never comes back - childhood...
  11. Dec 22, 2011
    It was ok. The acting was generic at best but the effects were good. It was interesting dont get me wrong but it was just executed poorly. I think if given another shot then they would have knocked it out of the park (or at least made a decent film).
  12. Mar 8, 2014
    The script is weak, the acting is bad in some places, and the only positive feature we're getting here are some cool CGI. "Godzilla" is another example of a bad Roland Emmerich film.
  13. Nov 12, 2012
    Usually, if there's a giant lizard monster walking around destroying s**t I'm in. However, everything else about this movie was so bad that I could not bear it. Truly a feat of inadequacy.
  14. Apr 20, 2013
    one of my favorite monster movies of all time i really don't care about all the negative reviews this is a fun, cool, and imaginative monster flick and I have watched a million times and will watch it a million more :D
  15. May 31, 2013
    I freaking loved this movie when I was kid. It came out in the year I was born. I've seen this movie a million times as a kid. Sure, the effects were cheesy, but the monster was really cool. I felt really sorry for it at the end.
  16. Jun 13, 2013
    The American Godzilla movie seems to be a very divisive film. There is no middle ground, some either like it or they hate it. I am one who actually really enjoys this film despite its flaws. Having grown up on the Toho Godzilla films of the 60s and the 70s it seems that the majority of the complaints about this movie are in how far Rolland Emmerich and Dean Devlin deviated from Godzilla's original design. I think those who were upset with the design changes do have a valid point. When you change the design of a cultural icon it is bound to upset the core fan base. However, despite the monster being Godzilla in name only, the movie does have many qualities to redeem it.

Pros: Taking the design of the monster on its own merit, Godzilla, or Zilla, as he is renamed by Toho studios, is a very creatively designed creature. Even if one doesn't consider this creature Godzilla, on his own he is a well designed monster and a welcome addition to the panoply of Toho's Kaiju creatures. He is more animal like than his Japanese counterpart (and less indestructible) and this has been the source of many of the criticisms levied at this incarnation of Godzilla. But from my perspective the CGI effects are much more superior to a guy walking around in a latex suit and that adds to the sense of realism. Rolland Emmerich and Dean Devlin have unapologetically stated that they make fun lighthearted popcorn movies. That is exemplary with this movie and that is where the enjoyment comes. All of the Toho Godzilla movies are covered with a healthy slice of cheese or two and the American version is no exception. This is a light hearted movie which doesn't take itself too seriously and is enjoyable despite its flaws.

Cons: Sure the movie does have its cheesy moments but in my opinion all of Toho's Godzilla movies (with the exception of the 1954 Japanese original) are covered with more Velveeta than this American version. I believe Matthew Broderick does an excellent job in the lead role as well as much of the supporting cast. My only major complaint and big flaw as far as the characters are concerned is with Mayor Ebert. He spends the majority of the movie just whining and complaining and worried how this will affect his popularity. Even when the military is doing things to protect the city Mayor Ebert really doesn't seem to care about the welfare of the citizens at all. The other complaint is that the time spent in Madison Square Gardens with the baby Zilla's is the part of the movie which seems to slow down and drag a bit too much. Other than that I really do enjoy this movie and wished Zilla could get another chance to star in his own feature length movie.
  17. Oct 5, 2013
    When, oh when, will a remake be worth the watch? Almost no remakes are worth it, and this one falls under that category. It's pure trash, and I has nothing to offer but mindless eye candy and inept acting. Truthfully, I think this movie would've been better if it had been dubbed in Japanese.
  18. Nov 6, 2013
    This is the American remake of the Japanese 'Godzilla' film. To me this remake was just flat-out terrible. The only thing I liked that this movie introduced was the monster "Zilla", that being this American Godzilla. Toho decided to make them separate entities and incorporate him in 'Godzilla: Final Wars'. Outside of that you either like this film, or you don't. I didn't like it at all, but if you're a Godzilla fan just watch it and see what you think. Expand
  19. Apr 16, 2014
    This American 'Godzilla' was just flat-out terrible. The only thing I liked that this movie introduced was the monster "Zilla", and that Toho decided to make him a separate entity and incorporate him in 'Godzilla: Final Wars'. Outside of that you either like this film, or you don't. I didn't like it at all, but if you're a Godzilla fan just watch it and see what you think.

A big, ugly, ungainly device to give teenagers the impression they are seeing a movie.
    Overlong, neither funny nor scary movie about a big lizard.
  3. Reviewed by: David Edelstein
    Size really is about all that this tedious, underpopulated beanbag of an epic has going for it.