4.8

1. Jun 11, 2011
    Based on the Godzilla Japanese franchise and a re-imagining of a 1954 movie of the same name (in which I haven't even watched/heard before), it was known for being one of the best movies of 1998 despite it having received Golden Raspberry Awards. Now to get on with the story.

After a mutation was caused from the lizards by the french in French Polynesia, a deadly reptilian creature was created and migrates to New York City, destroying everything in sight. Dr. Nick Tatopoulos is called by the military force to do research on this gigantic creature and to aid them to stop it once and for all.

Do you think that Action and Science Fiction movies keep you interested on what's going on? Then, frankly, this is one of them.

The good things that I found to be tolerable was the cinematography, Matthew Broderick's performance, the CGI, the music score and the action scenes.

The bad things are the plot holes, overused clichés, the scenes, the development, and the scenes in where the hatchlings of Godzilla started to eat the team by ripping off the scenes from Jurassic Park that were very familiar.

Godzilla isn't good or bad either. It just did okay and it's a very mediocre action/science fiction movie, but at least Roland Emmerich tried. It is worth watching and a guilty pleasure on DVD or VHS only.

2. May 17, 2014
    Godzilla (1998) is not a good movie, but in my opinion it is a guilty pleasure movie. I think it is entertaining, but I know its not good. The characters are like stick toys. The monster looks like an iguana and the baby godzilla's :, but it is still just fun to watch. Hate if you wish :'(
  3. tonydannie
    Jul 3, 2006
    This film is not really bad. The effects are descent and the action sequences are good if not a bit campy at times. The problem with this movie is the dialogue. But David Arnold's score over powers it. This is the same director who redeemed himself to me when he directed Mel Gibson's The Patriot" and then went back down hill when he directed "The Day After Tomorrow". You win This film is not really bad. The effects are descent and the action sequences are good if not a bit campy at times. The problem with this movie is the dialogue. But David Arnold's score over powers it. This is the same director who redeemed himself to me when he directed Mel Gibson's The Patriot" and then went back down hill when he directed "The Day After Tomorrow". You win some,you loose some. Expand
  4. Apr 3, 2011
    I'm curious why this flick pan by critics. OK cheesy CGI and plot, but this flick still entertaining than Roland Emerich's **** blockbuster 2012
  5. Aug 28, 2011
    Roland Emmerich's movies are some of the worst of all popular movies to be marketed and watches by the masses of uncritically minded morons who are easily entertained by visual effects and who are satisfied with mediocrity. If you were to cut the visual effects from this movie you would be left with shallow uninteresting characters, cliche dialogue, a formulaic story, gaping scientific andRoland Emmerich's movies are some of the worst of all popular movies to be marketed and watches by the masses of uncritically minded morons who are easily entertained by visual effects and who are satisfied with mediocrity. If you were to cut the visual effects from this movie you would be left with shallow uninteresting characters, cliche dialogue, a formulaic story, gaping scientific and historical inaccuracies, and illogical plot development. I actually love special effects but I guess these things bother me more than most as I believe that movies have more potential then the 'popcorn' films Emmerich makes every few years, and it would be easier for me not worry about so much if they werent so popular. Just because a movie is trying to be a 'popcorn flick' and not trying to be intelligent does NOT make it a good one. Expand
  6. Oct 22, 2011
    It was an okay movie. Not my favorite but it was at least okay. Not one of Roland Emmerich's best movies but it wasn't terrible. Okay movie that's all I'm saying.
  7. Aug 2, 2014
    Sighs* Okay I thought with the new (and way superior) American Godzilla movie out, I should say some stuff about this film. Firstly this is NOT a Godzilla movie. The creature in this film is not Godzilla, he is Zilla. Toho renamed him, that's a fact. He doesn't look like Godzilla, act like Godzilla, or have atomic breath, and the films rips a lot off of Jurassic Park....That being said,Sighs* Okay I thought with the new (and way superior) American Godzilla movie out, I should say some stuff about this film. Firstly this is NOT a Godzilla movie. The creature in this film is not Godzilla, he is Zilla. Toho renamed him, that's a fact. He doesn't look like Godzilla, act like Godzilla, or have atomic breath, and the films rips a lot off of Jurassic Park....That being said, the film is an okay monster movie and while not great is a fairly entertaining film if you can get over the fact it's meant to be a Godzilla movie. It was my very first giant monster movie and for a long time, THIS was Godzilla to me. Hell I even felt genuinely sad (and cried as a kid) when Zilla dies at the end. But I've seen the real thing (figuratively speaking) and can't turn back. Still I do have a bit of a nostalgic attachment to this film that wont let me fully hate it. Expand
  8. Dec 23, 2014
    This is an average movie with an average storyline and little action. It did not use a good Godzilla design and has a bad ending which I do not like. Nonetheless, this film is not that bad as it sticks closely to the title"Godzilla".

A big, ugly, ungainly device to give teenagers the impression they are seeing a movie.
    Overlong, neither funny nor scary movie about a big lizard.
  3. Reviewed by: David Edelstein
    Size really is about all that this tedious, underpopulated beanbag of an epic has going for it.