Godzilla

4.8

1. FungoB.
    Mar 11, 2008
    One of the best action films of recent years. Don't listen to the critics! Even the short quotes on Metacritic show that most of them weren't paying attention to the actual movie. How else to explain that so many get basic plot details wrong??? (e.g. "No surprises..." "humorless"... And my favorite: "How come he [sic'] only breathes fire twice?" Hey, bonehead: Godzilla One of the best action films of recent years. Don't listen to the critics! Even the short quotes on Metacritic show that most of them weren't paying attention to the actual movie. How else to explain that so many get basic plot details wrong??? (e.g. "No surprises..." "humorless"... And my favorite: "How come he [sic'] only breathes fire twice?" Hey, bonehead: Godzilla doesn't breathe fire _at all_! He blows across something burning, in a perfectly obvious in-joke reference to the Japanese fire-breathing original. Too high-brow for professional movie critics, I guess.) Expand
  2. May 18, 2014
    This movie is beautiful, maybe is not the original japan godzilla, but "original" is not always "better" and this is the case.
    if you are not a stupid fanboy of the original japan godzilla, then watch this.
  3. Jun 13, 2013
    The American Godzilla movie seems to be a very divisive film. There is no middle ground, some either like it or they hate it. I am one who actually really enjoys this film despite its flaws. Having grown up on the Toho Godzilla films of the 60s and the 70s it seems that the majority of the complaints about this movie are in how far Rolland Emmerich and Dean Devlin deviated from Godzilla'sThe American Godzilla movie seems to be a very divisive film. There is no middle ground, some either like it or they hate it. I am one who actually really enjoys this film despite its flaws. Having grown up on the Toho Godzilla films of the 60s and the 70s it seems that the majority of the complaints about this movie are in how far Rolland Emmerich and Dean Devlin deviated from Godzilla's original design. I think those who were upset with the design changes do have a valid point. When you change the design of a cultural icon it is bound to upset the core fan base. However, despite the monster being Godzilla in name only, the movie does have many qualities to redeem it.

Pros: Taking the design of the monster on its own merit, Godzilla, or Zilla, as he is renamed by Toho studios, is a very creatively designed creature. Even if one doesn't consider this creature Godzilla, on his own he is a well designed monster and a welcome addition to the panoply of Toho's Kaiju creatures. He is more animal like than his Japanese counterpart (and less indestructible) and this has been the source of many of the criticisms levied at this incarnation of Godzilla. But from my perspective the CGI effects are much more superior to a guy walking around in a latex suit and that adds to the sense of realism. Rolland Emmerich and Dean Devlin have unapologetically stated that they make fun lighthearted popcorn movies. That is exemplary with this movie and that is where the enjoyment comes. All of the Toho Godzilla movies are covered with a healthy slice of cheese or two and the American version is no exception. This is a light hearted movie which doesn't take itself too seriously and is enjoyable despite its flaws.

Cons: Sure the movie does have its cheesy moments but in my opinion all of Toho's Godzilla movies (with the exception of the 1954 Japanese original) are covered with more Velveeta than this American version. I believe Matthew Broderick does an excellent job in the lead role as well as much of the supporting cast. My only major complaint and big flaw as far as the characters are concerned is with Mayor Ebert. He spends the majority of the movie just whining and complaining and worried how this will affect his popularity. Even when the military is doing things to protect the city Mayor Ebert really doesn't seem to care about the welfare of the citizens at all. The other complaint is that the time spent in Madison Square Gardens with the baby Zilla's is the part of the movie which seems to slow down and drag a bit too much. Other than that I really do enjoy this movie and wished Zilla could get another chance to star in his own feature length movie.
  4. May 21, 2014
    Recently saw the 2014 Godzilla, and I gotta say, Zilla '98 is about 5 million times better. '98 starts out showing off the power of Zilla and lets you know just why we should fear her. The script does a superb job of explaining why things have turned out the way they have, and the explanations are realistically conceivable. The entire script was fun and action packed, with plenty ofRecently saw the 2014 Godzilla, and I gotta say, Zilla '98 is about 5 million times better. '98 starts out showing off the power of Zilla and lets you know just why we should fear her. The script does a superb job of explaining why things have turned out the way they have, and the explanations are realistically conceivable. The entire script was fun and action packed, with plenty of screen time for The Lizard. And just when you think the movie is over - BAM! More excitement! The acting was fantastic, and the actors fit the parts and played them expertly (with the exception of one bad crying scene). The nerds were nerdy and quirky, the bad A** camera guy was friggin cool, the wanna-be reporter was unconfident, the wife was caring/compassionate/protective, the military head guy was determined, and the politician was a sleaz-bag. For 1998, the graphics were spectacular, and the rebooted monster was sleek and beautiful. Warning to hard core old school fans, this ain’t your grandma’s Godzilla, this is a reboot with its own timeline, universe, and dimension. This is America’s Godzilla. She is not THE Godzilla, but it was the closest name they could find to describe her. And if this happened in reality – no matter what it looked like, I believe the world would call a giant dinosaur/lizard/any non-mammal “Godzilla”. Graphics – good for the time. Acting – Great for the script that was written. Script – did exactly what it was meant to do with action, adventure, comedy, and character development. Excellent movie. Watch this instead of Godzilla 2014. Fun times. Expand
  5. JaredC.
    Aug 16, 2007
    The computer generation is top notch, while the story is flowing with its every character and visuals. It is crafted superbly and it turns out nice.
  6. May 17, 2014
    OK so don't get me wrong Godzilla is no Best Picture winner and it is not the Citizen Kane of monster movies but it is not as terrible as everyone says it is. Then again this is coming from a kid who has not seen any Gojira films and does have much knowledge of the subject. Yet while today this film would be criticized for bad special effects back in 1998 those effects were probably prettyOK so don't get me wrong Godzilla is no Best Picture winner and it is not the Citizen Kane of monster movies but it is not as terrible as everyone says it is. Then again this is coming from a kid who has not seen any Gojira films and does have much knowledge of the subject. Yet while today this film would be criticized for bad special effects back in 1998 those effects were probably pretty good. Also while the acting is not top of the line Matthew Broderick gives it good effort and makes his character pretty interesting. Unfortunately Godzilla is weighted down by the poor design of the creature (which looks like an over sized iguana and from what I heard couldn't even scratch the real Godzilla in Final Wars.) In conclusion, while Godzilla is not perfect it has some decent performances and some good special effects. A decent movie from start to finish. Expand
  7. Apr 20, 2013
    one of my favorite monster movies of all time i really don't care about all the negative reviews this is a fun, cool, and imaginative monster flick and I have watched a million times and will watch it a million more :D
  8. May 31, 2013
    I freaking loved this movie when I was kid. It came out in the year I was born. I've seen this movie a million times as a kid. Sure, the effects were cheesy, but the monster was really cool. I felt really sorry for it at the end.
  9. May 11, 2014
    I dont't care about the people's opinion, this was one of my favourite movies of my childhood. Seriously, a movie with a big dinosaur would be a miracle not to entertain me. I really enjoyed the animalistic side of Zilla. Overall, if this movie was named Zilla, i would give it a 10. And what's up with the cgi, it was 1998........ don't expect too much...
  10. May 24, 2014
    This is a masterpiece, very realistic, gripping, terrifying movie about what could happen as a result of nuclear tests. Godzilla looks very lifelike and behaves like a really smart animal. This movie is a milestone of action films, it's on the level of Jurassic Park. And I don't like how the Japanese plagiarized the ideas of the brilliant Roland Emmerich and made a bunch of their crappy,This is a masterpiece, very realistic, gripping, terrifying movie about what could happen as a result of nuclear tests. Godzilla looks very lifelike and behaves like a really smart animal. This movie is a milestone of action films, it's on the level of Jurassic Park. And I don't like how the Japanese plagiarized the ideas of the brilliant Roland Emmerich and made a bunch of their crappy, trashy, low-budget remakes. This movie was a serious drama, and Japan turned it into a laughing stock of badly designed puppets. Expand
  11. IanReyP.
    Sep 29, 2008
    I just searched Godzilla for it's rating and saw how it's poorly rated. I was 12 yrs old when I watched this and I just enjoyed it. For those ages and below, this is a definitely something to watch for!
  12. JordanP.
    Sep 10, 2007
    A brave attempt at a concept that immediately is unfavorable amongst every critic, just for what it is, a monster movie. Because it is brave, has stunning special effects, jean reno and Hank Azaria, it should certainly be regarded higher than it is. Also, it took me 9 years to find a film like this which was in the same concept, the Host, and thats one of my favourite movies. Period.
  13. GustavoH.R.
    Dec 20, 2003
    Good fun. Very well done film. Dumb screenplay, but fun to watch.
  14. GeraldoZ
    Nov 21, 2008
    For 1998, this movie had top-notch graphics. The storyline was a little dull but flowed well. The movie definitely could have been made better but still proved to be strong.
  15. Dec 20, 2012
    Damn that time flies so fast...
    I remember the 1998 when I was just 8 years old and watched it alongside same-name cartoon anyway it was good film for that time...

But today, its only nostalgia of thing which never comes back - childhood...
  16. Sep 21, 2014
    GODZILLA 1998 is a good action flick Its Roland Emmerich he is good he has a unique way to show it was a box office hit and i also purchased DVD of this film. Forget about negative reviews first you have a look then decide until that dont hold any negative comments or reviews OK.
  17. Jan 24, 2016
    Godzilla is a really great action movie. Roland Emmerich did a very good job directing it. All the actors were really great too. This will always be one of my favorite movies ever

A big, ugly, ungainly device to give teenagers the impression they are seeing a movie.
    Overlong, neither funny nor scary movie about a big lizard.
  3. Reviewed by: David Edelstein
    Size really is about all that this tedious, underpopulated beanbag of an epic has going for it.