TriStar Pictures | Release Date: May 19, 1998
4.7
Mixed or average reviews based on 183 Ratings
WATCH NOW
Check box if your review contains spoilers 0 characteres (5000 max)
MovieLonely94Jun 11, 2011
Based on the Godzilla Japanese franchise and a re-imagining of a 1954 movie of the same name (in which I haven't even watched/heard before), it was known for being one of the best movies of 1998 despite it having received Golden RaspberryBased on the Godzilla Japanese franchise and a re-imagining of a 1954 movie of the same name (in which I haven't even watched/heard before), it was known for being one of the best movies of 1998 despite it having received Golden Raspberry Awards. Now to get on with the story.

After a mutation was caused from the lizards by the french in French Polynesia, a deadly reptilian creature was created and migrates to New York City, destroying everything in sight. Dr. Nick Tatopoulos is called by the military force to do research on this gigantic creature and to aid them to stop it once and for all.

Do you think that Action and Science Fiction movies keep you interested on what's going on? Then, frankly, this is one of them.

The good things that I found to be tolerable was the cinematography, Matthew Broderick's performance, the CGI, the music score and the action scenes.

The bad things are the plot holes, overused clichés, the scenes, the development, and the scenes in where the hatchlings of Godzilla started to eat the team by ripping off the scenes from Jurassic Park that were very familiar.

Godzilla isn't good or bad either. It just did okay and it's a very mediocre action/science fiction movie, but at least Roland Emmerich tried. It is worth watching and a guilty pleasure on DVD or VHS only.

RikiegeJan 12, 2013
Not a great movie.
MovieMasterEddyApr 9, 2016
“Godzilla” is not so much a remake as a reinvention of the 1954 Japanese production that spawned scores of sequels, comic books and television commercials. (U.S. audiences are more familiar with the first pic’s 1956 Americanized version“Godzilla” is not so much a remake as a reinvention of the 1954 Japanese production that spawned scores of sequels, comic books and television commercials. (U.S. audiences are more familiar with the first pic’s 1956 Americanized version “Godzilla, King of the Monsters” which incorporated new footage with Raymond Burr as a reporter/narrator.)

In the Emmerich-Devlin version, as in the original, the title creature is an unforeseen side effect of nuclear testing. The big difference is, this Godzilla is not a regenerated dinosaur. Rather, fallout from French nuclear blasts in the South Pacific have turned a lizard into a gigantic mutant monster.

Only tantalizing bits and pieces of the monster are glimpsed during the early portions of the pic, as screenwriters Devlin and Emmerich (working from a story they concocted with Ted Elliott and Terry Rossio) zip through exposition and introduce lead characters. After an effectively frightening Godzilla attack on a Japanese fishing ship, focus shifts to the Ukraine, where Dr. Niko Tatopoulos (Matthew Broderick), a biologist from the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission, is studying the effect of radiation leakage on earthworms near Chernobyl. A military team led by Colonel Hicks (Kevin Dunn) drops in to whisk Tatopoulos away to help with a much bigger problem.

Joined by paleontologists Elsie Chapman (Vicki Lewis) and Mendel Craven (Malcolm Danare), Tatopoulos and the military team examine, among other things, the beached wreckage of the Japanese vessel. The ship has a huge claw mark on its bow, but that’s not the worst of it. Tatopoulos finds traces of blood that, along with the creature’s footprints, point to the existence of “some sort of enormous reptile.”

Right from the start, Broderick conveys a gee-whiz ingenuousness that is distracting at best, insipid at worst. Broderick’s mannered affectations are either meant to humanize a thinly written character or simply provide comic relief. Either way, the performance as a whole comes off as a major miscalculation, to the point of making one miss the morose gravity of Burr in the earlier “Godzilla.”

In sharp contrast, Jean Reno takes a winningly subtle approach in offering a crafty mix of foreboding and bemusement as Philippe Roache, a French secret agent who’s working undercover as an insurance company representative. .

Throughout “Godzilla,” New York endures the most sustained rainfall in all of movie history. Most of the action takes place at night, but even the daytime scenes unfold under darkly overcast skies, which, of course, makes it all the easier for Emmerich to obscure Godzilla’s features for the maximum amount of time to generate the maximum amount of suspense.

But when the creature is fully visible, it resembles nothing more than a hybrid of the mother beast from “Alien” and a T-Rex from “Jurassic Park.” Although the effect is striking, it’s not the familiar creature who often managed to earn audience sympathy, or at least develop a distinct personality. There’s something oddly generic-looking about this computer-generated image.

This slimmed-down, turbo-charged beast is able to move easier and lunge more quickly while dashing through the streets of Manhattan. But, then again, why should Godzilla have to dash? Part of what made the original “Godzilla” and its sequels so much fun was Godzilla’s bad-ass, take-no-guff attitude as he lumbered down streets, kicking over buildings and remaining defiantly immune to bullets, bombs and heat-seeking missiles. This Godzilla usually runs away from his attackers, causing most of his damage mostly by accident.

There’s no getting around the fact that all the Godzilla offspring bear a suspicious resemblance to the “Jurassic Park” raptors. Just as in that lizard epic, the good guys — joined by TV cameraman Victor (Animal) Palotti (Hank Azaria) race down hallways and crouch behind closed doors, pursued by the hungry creatures and the thrills and spills appear to be recycled from the climactic sequence of “Park.” But the sheer number of the creatures here, and the genuinely clever way Emmerich utilizes them, make for a high-octane adrenaline rush.

And the banal dialogue particularly in scenes where Broderick and Pitillo try to sort out their relationship is spiked with a few witty touches.

Godzilla designer and supervisor Patrick Tatopoulos whose name is commandeered for Broderick’s character does a bang-up job of creating a lean , mean monster machine. But there is little that is charismatic about his handiwork. As a result, there is no emotional frisson at the very end, even when it’s obvious that the audience should share Broderick’s pang of sorrow for thefallen creature. Size does matter, of course, but some things matter more.

The soundtrack is also primed to produce sensory overload, as it is very loud , sometimes discomfortingly so, but the target audience likely would be surprised if it weren’t.
asthobaskoroApr 3, 2011
I'm curious why this flick pan by critics. OK cheesy CGI and plot, but this flick still entertaining than Roland Emerich's **** blockbuster 2012
bfoore90Nov 16, 2016
I liked this adaption as a kid and even still, I still have a bit of a soft spot for "Zilla." Starting out, this movie is not by any means a very good movie. I don't 100% fault the movie as much as I fault TriStar for allowing Roland EmmerichI liked this adaption as a kid and even still, I still have a bit of a soft spot for "Zilla." Starting out, this movie is not by any means a very good movie. I don't 100% fault the movie as much as I fault TriStar for allowing Roland Emmerich to helm this project and Roland Emmerich for taking on this project and not staying close to the material. I thought the actual monster was a very unique and cool take on Godzilla but they diminished the "God" in his name by making him just a mere mortal with no powers. The acting is also pretty mediocre as well as somw of the special effects, script ect and alot of the movie seems to just want to rip-off Jurassic Park rather than pave its own way. All in all, I would say if you're a fan of monster movies then give this a watch but if you're a fan of Godzilla then this would just be nothing more than a guilty pleasure flick. Its a decent movie but the Legendary 2014 adaption of the movie is better and a much more faithful adaption for the King of All Monsters. Expand
davenbettridgeAug 28, 2011
Roland Emmerich's movies are some of the worst of all popular movies to be marketed and watches by the masses of uncritically minded morons who are easily entertained by visual effects and who are satisfied with mediocrity. If you were to cutRoland Emmerich's movies are some of the worst of all popular movies to be marketed and watches by the masses of uncritically minded morons who are easily entertained by visual effects and who are satisfied with mediocrity. If you were to cut the visual effects from this movie you would be left with shallow uninteresting characters, cliche dialogue, a formulaic story, gaping scientific and historical inaccuracies, and illogical plot development. I actually love special effects but I guess these things bother me more than most as I believe that movies have more potential then the 'popcorn' films Emmerich makes every few years, and it would be easier for me not worry about so much if they werent so popular. Just because a movie is trying to be a 'popcorn flick' and not trying to be intelligent does NOT make it a good one. Expand
supermann234Dec 23, 2014
This is an average movie with an average storyline and little action. It did not use a good Godzilla design and has a bad ending which I do not like. Nonetheless, this film is not that bad as it sticks closely to the title"Godzilla".
JAM123Oct 22, 2011
It was an okay movie. Not my favorite but it was at least okay. Not one of Roland Emmerich's best movies but it wasn't terrible. Okay movie that's all I'm saying.
Danielhero1998May 17, 2014
Godzilla (1998) is not a good movie, but in my opinion it is a guilty pleasure movie. I think it is entertaining, but I know its not good. The characters are like stick toys. The monster looks like an iguana and the baby godzilla's :, but itGodzilla (1998) is not a good movie, but in my opinion it is a guilty pleasure movie. I think it is entertaining, but I know its not good. The characters are like stick toys. The monster looks like an iguana and the baby godzilla's :, but it is still just fun to watch. Hate if you wish :'( Expand
DKS01Aug 2, 2014
Sighs* Okay I thought with the new (and way superior) American Godzilla movie out, I should say some stuff about this film. Firstly this is NOT a Godzilla movie. The creature in this film is not Godzilla, he is Zilla. Toho renamed him, that'sSighs* Okay I thought with the new (and way superior) American Godzilla movie out, I should say some stuff about this film. Firstly this is NOT a Godzilla movie. The creature in this film is not Godzilla, he is Zilla. Toho renamed him, that's a fact. He doesn't look like Godzilla, act like Godzilla, or have atomic breath, and the films rips a lot off of Jurassic Park....That being said, the film is an okay monster movie and while not great is a fairly entertaining film if you can get over the fact it's meant to be a Godzilla movie. It was my very first giant monster movie and for a long time, THIS was Godzilla to me. Hell I even felt genuinely sad (and cried as a kid) when Zilla dies at the end. But I've seen the real thing (figuratively speaking) and can't turn back. Still I do have a bit of a nostalgic attachment to this film that wont let me fully hate it. Expand
tonydannieJul 3, 2006
This film is not really bad. The effects are descent and the action sequences are good if not a bit campy at times. The problem with this movie is the dialogue. But David Arnold's score over powers it. This is the same director who This film is not really bad. The effects are descent and the action sequences are good if not a bit campy at times. The problem with this movie is the dialogue. But David Arnold's score over powers it. This is the same director who redeemed himself to me when he directed Mel Gibson's The Patriot" and then went back down hill when he directed "The Day After Tomorrow". You win some,you loose some. Expand
0 of 0 users found this helpful