7.3

1. MarkM.
    Jul 4, 2002
    GREAT!!!!! I'm not a fan of the japanese rubber menace as a matter a fact I despised him but then my brother made me see it and I became a godzilla fanatic and now after seeing 15 godzilla movies I now hate,thats right HATE!!! godzilla1998 cgi version godzilla flick. My only complaint to godzilla 2000 the ending speech which is the king of cheesy speeches of all time.
  2. BillS.
    Jan 20, 2004
    Godzilla is one of those things you either look back on fondly from your childhood, or you don't. For those who 'get' Godzilla and have that fascination for the rubber suits, the elaborate pyrotechnics, the pounding musical theme and imperfect dubbing, GODZILLA 2000 was a milestone and a blast to experience in the big theater. If there's one lesson to be learned here, Godzilla is one of those things you either look back on fondly from your childhood, or you don't. For those who 'get' Godzilla and have that fascination for the rubber suits, the elaborate pyrotechnics, the pounding musical theme and imperfect dubbing, GODZILLA 2000 was a milestone and a blast to experience in the big theater. If there's one lesson to be learned here, it's that a giant monster movie looks best on the giant screen. Most critics are rather ignorant of Godzilla 'lore', so little of why this film was made comes out. A quick check of the Meta-score of Tristar's farcical GODZILLA (1998) failure gives you the answer you need. Toho wanted to reclaim Godzilla and rebuild the character/mythos after the embarrassment by the former ID4 creators. GODZILLA 2000 (called GOJIRA MILLENIUM in Japan) is a lively and well paced mix of 'monster vs. monster' and 'Godzilla introduction' style storylines. A large portion of the film sets up Godzilla as the occasional rampaging force of nature, while a smaller part is spent setting up conflict with a techno-alien menace (called Orga in Japan but not specifically identified in this film). Many original ideas keep this film from falling into too many plot device cliches for monster flicks (a tough balancing act given all the similar films that have come out of Toho before this). One such nice touch is the blackout when Godzilla first make land with scampering people and emergency vehicles in the foreground. So while the dubbing will earn some sneers (it was intentional, if you check the DVD commentary), overall "G2K" ushered in a new era of Toho Godzilla films that have continued to keep a high standard going for those of us who enjoy this genre. Subsequent entries have gone straight to DVD, but are just now becoming available: GODZILLA X MEGAGUIRUS, GODZILLA-MOTHRA-KING GHIDORA and soon GODZILLA X MECHAGODZILLA. Expand

Brand-new and uproariously unimproved.
    For all the high-tech allusions and middle-tech illusions, the movie--the 23rd in an immortal series--draws its power from its grittiness and unresolved allegory.
  3. Lands on an imaginative fault line somewhere between tackiness and awe.