7.6

1. MarcD.
    Oct 22, 2007
    This movie was JUST OK. It had some good moments, but it has a lot of problems. The structure is weak, the story itself aint great, but some of the performances are good. It's great to applaud people when they try new things (Ben Affleck directing) but let's not lose sight of the overall picture. As a first time director, he did a great job - kudos - but the movie itself is not This movie was JUST OK. It had some good moments, but it has a lot of problems. The structure is weak, the story itself aint great, but some of the performances are good. It's great to applaud people when they try new things (Ben Affleck directing) but let's not lose sight of the overall picture. As a first time director, he did a great job - kudos - but the movie itself is not better than "We Own The Night" or "Rendition" movies that scored much lower here. Expand
  2. DWilly
    Oct 20, 2007
    There is some great local color, nifty action, nice moral conflict and a couple credible performances (Affleck and Harris), but this falls short of being the a cool movie it could have been because of its unforgivable performances (the abducted girl's mother), some weak ones, an overall lack of clarity and, guess what, there's a reason there are no detective stories where the There is some great local color, nifty action, nice moral conflict and a couple credible performances (Affleck and Harris), but this falls short of being the a cool movie it could have been because of its unforgivable performances (the abducted girl's mother), some weak ones, an overall lack of clarity and, guess what, there's a reason there are no detective stories where the guy brings his girlfriend along with him as he solves the crime, it's because she'll RUIN EVERY SCENE SHE'S IN. Expand
  3. PatriciaB.
    Oct 20, 2007
    Really good acting, but.....the story was disjointed. I was disappointed.
  4. normd.
    Oct 30, 2007
    More overrated, predictable tripe. Laughable action scenes in beginning. Cringeworthy, long-winded expository speeches at the end. Affleck shows hack ability as director--film looks good, but inability to coax performances out of anyone but his brother is fatal. Reaction shot after reaction shot---embarrassing.
  5. MikeS.
    Oct 19, 2007
    Very disappointing! I wanted to like it, but the story jumped around so much, I could not get into it. I'll admit, I read the book it's based on, which is very good, but they were unable to bring it through clearly onscreen. You never get a chance to know the characters at all. Looks like they fooled a lot of critics though. Again, I am so disappointed!
  6. CharlieS
    Oct 26, 2007
    Being from Boston, I was really looking forward to this movie. I had heard great things about it, but was really let down. I'm not sure what all the hype is about. Sure, it's pretty authentic to the local flavor and some great Boston accents. Other than that, the plot kind of fell flat. I didn't feel any connection to the characters, was bored for the first 45 minutes, and Being from Boston, I was really looking forward to this movie. I had heard great things about it, but was really let down. I'm not sure what all the hype is about. Sure, it's pretty authentic to the local flavor and some great Boston accents. Other than that, the plot kind of fell flat. I didn't feel any connection to the characters, was bored for the first 45 minutes, and found myself wondering what I was missing. Expand
  7. SylvioM.
    Feb 17, 2008
    The Affleck's doesn't have so much sympathy on the screen.Casey is bad, he was the perfect guy to be Robert Ford in The Assassination of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford though. Anyway, this movie could be the greatest in 1992, not in 2007. It has so many cliches and the script has so many lacks... I can't imagine how the crictics figures out this movie could be good.
  8. Apr 13, 2011
    How did Casey Affleck get a role for which he was quite clearly unsuited? What was the director thinking? Er...Oh.

A strangely-accented Affleck Junior is woefully miscast in this slightly clumsy, over-simplified version of the Dennis Lehane novel. Read the novel, if you like that kind of thing. Don't see the movie. One rare true note is struck by Amy Ryan who plays the conflicted, unsympathetic mother perfectly.
  9. Jul 22, 2013
    It wasn't awful. I didn't find this movie to be boring at all. I enjoyed it because it managed to built suspense and raise curiosity about the resolution. But there are so many things holding Gone Baby Gone back. For one, it was confusing. Simple as that. Two, Casey Affleck. Not only was his character flat and uninteresting, but I also didn't buy a word he said, especially when he tried toIt wasn't awful. I didn't find this movie to be boring at all. I enjoyed it because it managed to built suspense and raise curiosity about the resolution. But there are so many things holding Gone Baby Gone back. For one, it was confusing. Simple as that. Two, Casey Affleck. Not only was his character flat and uninteresting, but I also didn't buy a word he said, especially when he tried to be a tough guy with his fighting words and his pistol whipping. Every time he started intimidating guys in bars or giving some morally self-righteous speech about why other people are wrong I just said "Please." He was very much a typical protagonist in a Hollywood film and not at all a real person. Three, the scene when Ed Harris is questioning the mother in her house is just awful. It's full of cliches and pointless yelling (ex: Harris sweeping all the bottles off of the kitchen table in a burst of anger and then firmly slamming his palms on the table and demanding answers). And four, it is really a ridiculous plot when you think about it. Just listen to it (Spoiler Alert): A seventy something year old police chief looses his 12 year old daughter. Then he spends decades surrounded by the impoverished and unfortunate youth of the drug and violence ridden neighborhoods of Boston. So, for no reason, all of a sudden he decides to kidnap one random white girl and take her home after forty years of never doing anything like that even though he's seen kids lives go down the drain ever day. Not only that, it wasn't really his idea. It was suggested to him by some other cop (Harris) who also seems to gain this desire to "give a kid a chance" out of nowhere. And the other main cop involved (Affleck) has a seemingly healthy relationship with his girlfriend. But that relationship ends with no discussion or second thoughts when they have a minor ethical disagreement even though they both meant well. Also, for some reason, this also boring and undeveloped character of a girlfriend cries herself to sleep every night when she thinks the little girl is dead, even though she never met this girl and has only been on the case for a few days. The same unrealistic emotion seems to exist with the aforementioned police chief and his wife when they kidnap the "lost" girl. After keeping her for a week, they are all of a sudden unable to be separated form her and the cops have to pry the child from the wife's arms while she breaks down in tears. In the end, it entertained me and made me think...but I didn't buy any of it. Expand
  10. adamw
    Nov 5, 2007
    The Bottom Line here is that the Afflecks bit off more than they could chew. This story needed seasoned craftsman of story-telling, not a couple of novices.
  11. ErichH.
    Nov 6, 2007
    After an engaging and reasonable 45-55 minutes, the film descends into the ridiculous. Only Casey Affleck, Amy Ryan, and fair to good production values keep me from giving this a 4.
  12. Rutter
    Oct 28, 2007
    Starts our pretty well... Then it goes downhill in a hurry. Guess Casey wanted to amp up his action-man credentials because some of the gunfight scenes are goofy and suddenly all sense of realism gets lost and hard to recapture. Particularly didn't understand how he got away murdering a guy (the pedophile) without any apparent issues. As far as the sorta shock at the end, I for one Starts our pretty well... Then it goes downhill in a hurry. Guess Casey wanted to amp up his action-man credentials because some of the gunfight scenes are goofy and suddenly all sense of realism gets lost and hard to recapture. Particularly didn't understand how he got away murdering a guy (the pedophile) without any apparent issues. As far as the sorta shock at the end, I for one saw it all coming miles away. From a guy who sorta starts our just a shlub who sees a chance to make a difference, all the sudden he becomes this hard-boiled streetwise tough guy ready to take on the cops and anyone else who gets in his way....bad choice in character direction Anyways, starts out as a good movie, but sort of takes a wrong turn halfway through. Expand
  13. MikeB.
    Nov 30, 2007
    I had a lot of trouble buying Casey Affleck's character and thought plenty of the dialogue and story transitions were clumsy. seemed like screenwriting by the numbers.
  14. JaredS
    Oct 15, 2007
    This movie was so mediocre. Casey Affleck and Ed Harris were great, but that is about it.
  15. DamonC
    Oct 25, 2007
    What;'s the big deal about this movie? It is good, but it is far from great. And yes, for a Ben Affleck directed movie, it is astonishing. But that is the problem. All of us probably had low expectations to begin with, but now that it is being over-hyped, it doesn't really measure up completely. Acting was okay, editing was okay, music was okay, but ultimately the story felt What;'s the big deal about this movie? It is good, but it is far from great. And yes, for a Ben Affleck directed movie, it is astonishing. But that is the problem. All of us probably had low expectations to begin with, but now that it is being over-hyped, it doesn't really measure up completely. Acting was okay, editing was okay, music was okay, but ultimately the story felt overscripted; too pat, and really, too obvious. It is about the hunt for a missing child, and I didn't really feel anything, for anyone. Expand
  16. ArgeX
    Nov 14, 2007
    Come on... This movie has some nice ideas but it lacks of rythme. The etical doubt of the main character is quite ridiculous also. I got pretty irritated toward the end.... Good acting and decent photography.

1. Reviewed by: Stephen Farber
    It's a tribute to this thoughtful, deeply poignant, splendidly executed film that we replay the conclusion in our minds long after the lights come on.
  2. Reviewed by: Lisa Nesselson
    Moral ambiguity is the real star of Ben Affleck's helming debut, Gone Baby Gone, an involving Boston-set tale of mixed motives, selflessness and perfidy in the wake of a 4-year-old girl's disappearance.
  3. Casey Affleck has never had a pedestal like the one his brother provides him, and he earns it. His Patrick is pale and raspy, with a slight grogginess that gives him an astounding vulnerability--and makes his bursts of temper shocking.