Miramax Films | Release Date: October 19, 2007
7.7
Generally favorable reviews based on 231 Ratings
Watch Now
CydneyB.Oct 19, 2007
The Affleck boys sure know their Boston. Loved the book.. but this is even better. We'll be owning this one when it comes out on DVD. Wowie!
BillC.Oct 22, 2007
I'm tempted to give it a 9 , but I'll leave it at 8. Don't go to this expecting a Disney movie.The couple behind us left due to the barrage of "F" words. Not the perfect movie but entertaining and very watchable.All the I'm tempted to give it a 9 , but I'll leave it at 8. Don't go to this expecting a Disney movie.The couple behind us left due to the barrage of "F" words. Not the perfect movie but entertaining and very watchable.All the performances seemed spot on , and the films non-star actors were very impressive. I've always seen Ben Affleck as over rated & spoiled. I may have to re-think that? Maybe? Expand
DamonCOct 25, 2007
What;'s the big deal about this movie? It is good, but it is far from great. And yes, for a Ben Affleck directed movie, it is astonishing. But that is the problem. All of us probably had low expectations to begin with, but now that it What;'s the big deal about this movie? It is good, but it is far from great. And yes, for a Ben Affleck directed movie, it is astonishing. But that is the problem. All of us probably had low expectations to begin with, but now that it is being over-hyped, it doesn't really measure up completely. Acting was okay, editing was okay, music was okay, but ultimately the story felt overscripted; too pat, and really, too obvious. It is about the hunt for a missing child, and I didn't really feel anything, for anyone. Expand
RussLOct 28, 2007
I think many critics were harsh to the film because Affleck directed it. If Eastwood made this people would be hailing it as another masterpiece. It was much better than 's "Mystic River" which relied on the high-octane acting but I think many critics were harsh to the film because Affleck directed it. If Eastwood made this people would be hailing it as another masterpiece. It was much better than 's "Mystic River" which relied on the high-octane acting but ultimately fell apart as mystery. (What did Kevin Bacon's character do again?) Everything in Gone Baby Gone is there for a reason, making it a hell of a thriller with an terrific final act that stays with you for days. Expand
sabihm.Oct 31, 2007
Surprisingly good movie...start off a little heavy handed, but definitely gets gripping towards the end.
MoeS.Feb 16, 2008
A terrific movie with a thought provoking ending. i am amazed that metacritic does not include any ryan in the cast list. she is, afterall, nominated for an oscar as supporting female actor.
LindaL.Feb 19, 2008
Great, gritty atmosphere, and the actors managed a real-life vibe that reminded me of "Mystic River." SLIGHT SPOILER ALERT: Have to say that although most of the movie was good, and the closing scene's staging & implications were really Great, gritty atmosphere, and the actors managed a real-life vibe that reminded me of "Mystic River." SLIGHT SPOILER ALERT: Have to say that although most of the movie was good, and the closing scene's staging & implications were really brilliant, there are a couple of twists near the end that are just crazy-awful wrong. You're rolling your eyes and saying "THAT would never happen!" For me, that hurt the film a lot. Expand
KateP.Nov 12, 2007
Way more insightful and philosophical than I had been expecting. Depressing but very real, I'd see it again.
ArgeXNov 14, 2007
Come on... This movie has some nice ideas but it lacks of rythme. The etical doubt of the main character is quite ridiculous also. I got pretty irritated toward the end.... Good acting and decent photography.
VernonM.Nov 16, 2007
With the exception of Ed Harris' hairpiece the movie seemed authentic in every aspect. Casey Affleck nailed the role of Patrick McKenzie, demonstrating a toughness that barely belied is youthful, innocent appearance. The story line may With the exception of Ed Harris' hairpiece the movie seemed authentic in every aspect. Casey Affleck nailed the role of Patrick McKenzie, demonstrating a toughness that barely belied is youthful, innocent appearance. The story line may have been a bit forced but the overall grittiness and realism to the surroundings and the actors was a credit to Ben Affleck's direction. Any movie that can have you discussing moral decisions upon its conclusion is worth the price of admission. Although I realize that this will in no way be a franchise I would not mind sitting through another McKenzie/Gennaro adventure in the future-as long as the same quality is maintained that was achieved in this outing. Expand
thelordoffilmAug 14, 2010
Gone Baby Gone is a scary and haunting film with great performances and intense suspense and tension. Who would know Ben Affleck could direct a film.

A movie dealing with child abduction and how it surrounds the people involved. A child is kidnapped and the family hires two private detectives because they can talk to people in the neighborhood that won't talk to the cops. Things start going out of the ordinary when multiple secretes are reveled. It leads more to dangerous situations.

One of my favorite movies and a big surprise from Affleck.
ERG1008Aug 23, 2010
Child gets kidnapped, Aunt & Uncle hire detectives to find her, Police already investigating, things go wrong.
Ben Affleck's directing debut which is a very real story based in the Boston area.
Some of the accents are quite hard to understand
Some of the accents are quite hard to understand at times but the acting is good & the twists & turns in the story work well.
RQstormJun 27, 2011
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Brutally honest. Those two words sum up this movie from the gritty locations, using local talent for the fill in roles, the characters interaction, the length of time the movie indicates passes, to the dialogue and the daily moral dilemmas that unravel throughout the movie from the nearly the first to the very last scene. Bravo.Having read the book "Gone Baby Gone" by Dennis Lehane, this is one of the few times where I felt the movie adaption was superior in streamlining or updating the subject matters from the source and I liked the the book. My one complaint was the role of Angie wasn't used to her fullest in the movie...otherwise this was phenomenal directorial debut by Ben Affleck and an outstanding job by the notable cast of actors and actresses. Expand
StevenFJun 5, 2013
Questions of moral and doing the right thing are all brought up in this wonderfully twisted and surprising tale from Director and co-writer Ben Affleck. Perhaps it was unfortunate that the UK audience wouldn't have fully appreciated thisQuestions of moral and doing the right thing are all brought up in this wonderfully twisted and surprising tale from Director and co-writer Ben Affleck. Perhaps it was unfortunate that the UK audience wouldn't have fully appreciated this excellent and thoughtful film due to the disappearance of Madeline McCann in the same year of the film's release, a girl around the same age and appearance of the the girl this film centres around.
Little Amanda has been abducted from her home in Boston, desperate for her return, the family hire outside help in the form of PI Patrick (Casey Affleck) and Angie (Michelle Monaghan), much to the displeasure of local law enforcement.
But as the two dig deeper into the case, a case involving drug lords, family members and even corrupt cops, Patrick begins to realise there is something much bigger going on than a standard abduction, with every hour ticking past looking less likely that the young girl will be found alive, or found at all.
The film works to open the eyes of close-minded and one shot people who perceive everything at first glance, as the film takes viewers hopes and expectations and dashes or turns them upside down when each corner is turned, twist after twist has made this wonderful filmmaking impossible to call first time.
Not to say it was made to surprise, it was made to broaden your scope, ask people just where you may call home and just who exactly you may be better off with, but also bringing in the other side of maintaining the law, even if the law itself doesn't.
Casey Affleck is truly on top of his game, he delivers an unforgettable turn as Patrick, a man dedicated to finding the truth, even when he is frowned upon for his age, style and his apparent lack of experience. Morgan Freeman plays a cop who is unfortunately reliving something that he himself had to go through, and we are immediately drawn in to his insistence and promise that this girl will be found.
Amy Ryan puts in the most surprising and best performances, she has us convinced that her daughter was indeed kidnapped and she wants her back, but her actions and life make it questionable whether this young girl should be with her or not.
Easily one of the best and most intriguing films of 2007, an emotional journey of morality and disbelief will come along with Gone Baby Gone, it will leave many questioning its decisions but ultimately prove a wonderful story in slow-paced style has been told.
Jefflyn90Jan 29, 2012
This is a great thriller. It never stops, very smart, psychological and complex. Although the story gets a bit clumsy it is expertly told and coherent. Loved it.
lauraliz51403Dec 8, 2011
Gone Baby Gone is a movie that takes you for a very exciting ride from beginning to end. It is based on the Dennis Lehane novel. Gone Baby Gone takes place in Boston and is about a 4-year-old girl that goes missing and her aunt hires twoGone Baby Gone is a movie that takes you for a very exciting ride from beginning to end. It is based on the Dennis Lehane novel. Gone Baby Gone takes place in Boston and is about a 4-year-old girl that goes missing and her aunt hires two private detectives to augment the investigation. The two private detectives that she hires are Patrick Kenzie (Casey Affleck) and Angie Gennaro (Michelle Monaghan). As the movie progress, Kenzie and Gennaro unravel all of the twists and turns where nothing is what it seems. Between the drug dealers, crooked cops and gun fights, this movie gives you all the excitement you could ask for. This movie is very good, but it is also extremely sad. This movie shows how some people live and how they would choose drugs and money over their own children. I would definitely recommend people to go and see this movie.

The cast is great in this movie. The connection between Casey Affleck and Michelle Monaghan is incredible. The two of them complement each other extremely well. Patrick Kenzie (Affleck) narrates the movie. In the opening scene he says: â
imthenoobNov 17, 2016
The directorial debut of Ben Affleck in a film staring his young brother. Both kill it. Ben did a great job directing and co-writing a rather interesting noir style film while Casey proved his chops as an actor and more than manged his ownThe directorial debut of Ben Affleck in a film staring his young brother. Both kill it. Ben did a great job directing and co-writing a rather interesting noir style film while Casey proved his chops as an actor and more than manged his own against the likes of Morgan Freeman and Ed Harris. Really well done movie and definitely worth the watch. Expand
beingryanjudeAug 31, 2014
As far as directorial debuts go, this is the type of film new directors would kill to be a part of. Ben Affleck creates a moving tale set in Boston, with several award-worthy performances from Casey Affleck and Amy Ryan.
SpangleJul 13, 2013
Awesome film. Ben Affleck did great as director and then Casey Affleck kicked a** and took names in the lead role. Not much to criticize here. Overall, a thought provoking film that certainly leaves you wanting more.
ExKingMay 27, 2013
gone baby gone is a unique movie and diffidently my favorite movie by Ben Affleck.
it's provided a solid story with a little bit of mystery not knowing what's the next scene is going to be.
and i love the fact that Casey Affleck was casted
and i love the fact that Casey Affleck was casted as the leading actor he's not that great of an actor he missed few spots but he fit in the character it's like the movie was written about him.
his personality in the movie looks like it's taken from him as a real person and that's what i love about the movie.
chidimeSep 22, 2017
Great movie. Really gets you.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DumboMageeNov 27, 2013
This was one of the most overrated movies I've ever watched. I was excited to watch it based on the reviews and accolades, and I really enjoyed Mystic River (the novel by Dennis Lehane), but I thought Gone Baby Gone was absolutely horrendousThis was one of the most overrated movies I've ever watched. I was excited to watch it based on the reviews and accolades, and I really enjoyed Mystic River (the novel by Dennis Lehane), but I thought Gone Baby Gone was absolutely horrendous and it blows my mind that people actually think the plot was realistic or plausible in any way. Are you people crazy? The captain and 2 cops concoct a plan to kidnap a woman's daughter to give her a better life? In what world can you just kidnap a girl and have her go to school and live the rest of her life and never be caught?
If they cared so much about the little girl, enough to go through with this absolutely ridiculous plan, why not just come by the house and babysit once in awhile? Contribute financially? Get her some piano lessons? Wait a few years and see if the mom improves? Let history take it's course? There are plenty of people who grow up in horrible neighborhoods with horrible parents and still manage to do OK in life, are we supposed to kidnap all these kids and have them live with Morgan Freeman? Could they come up with SOMETHING besides kidnapping the girl???

And what are the chances this girl WANTS to be kidnapped and ends up being so unbelievably happy living a new life with some stranger she's never met? Seriously? Is this a joke????? How did this movie not get torn apart by every single critic in the world? Can someone please tell me I'm not crazy in thinking this is one of the dumbest movies ever made?

Oh, I also forgot to mention that the acting was completely over the top. Casey Affleck was incredibly dull as well. There were some decent moments from Ed Harris, other than that the acting was mediocre at best.
AwsafDec 4, 2013
This is a remarkable film.This proposition of every single detail is stunning.By the rule of the movie was going sometimes they missed some emotion and Technics.And the acting was great
ellaroseAug 15, 2014
Casey Affleck needs much more credit than he has to his name. His acting was both believable and really challenges the viewer to walk in his shoes for the 2 hours. Without offering any spoilers if you are a fan of the crime genre and like aCasey Affleck needs much more credit than he has to his name. His acting was both believable and really challenges the viewer to walk in his shoes for the 2 hours. Without offering any spoilers if you are a fan of the crime genre and like a good detective drama, this is one for the screen! The language isn't that great, but for the time and place they are in, it fits. It isn't used for 'humor' or 'entertainment' which can make it easier to deal with. I love it's challenge on morality. Expand
heeldavidJul 26, 2014
I am very suprised of the user score, because this is a very well done film, a great Boston flick from Ben Affleck, Casey Affleck puts on a very great performance, nice work by the talented cast as well. The question that i had in my head atI am very suprised of the user score, because this is a very well done film, a great Boston flick from Ben Affleck, Casey Affleck puts on a very great performance, nice work by the talented cast as well. The question that i had in my head at the end of the movie was "what is home ?" Expand
pesho_oneFeb 7, 2015
What goes quite well in-here is the pacing. Also all the mains are doing fine jobs. And while interesting throughout, it never feels too forced or artificial. The story is very well developed and goes all the way to the finish line (which isWhat goes quite well in-here is the pacing. Also all the mains are doing fine jobs. And while interesting throughout, it never feels too forced or artificial. The story is very well developed and goes all the way to the finish line (which is not that common with many pretentious movies these days). Anther thing that stood out for me, was the camera angles and scene arrangements - they were done noticeably well.
Bottom line: highly recommended, as it is one quality piece of cinema which is well worth your movie-watching time.
CP30Jun 18, 2015
I accidentally watched this movie last night and I couldn't sleep and wished I never watched it! I couldn't get that poor dead child's image out of my mind and I was happy he shot that guy I wish they had shot all of them earlier that dayI accidentally watched this movie last night and I couldn't sleep and wished I never watched it! I couldn't get that poor dead child's image out of my mind and I was happy he shot that guy I wish they had shot all of them earlier that day maybe the child would have been alive still. But what upset me most about this movie was the outcome! I know how every thing was went about was wrong like in the real world if they were so concerned with the little girls well being why couldn't they just call DCF and adopt her the right way? I am sure DCF wouldn't have a problem seeing how unfit she was, but after all that everyone went through I was so pissed that he made the little girl go back! I know it was wrong of them but what was done was done and why couldn't he just let the little girl be happy! then to show the mother still being a deadbeat and not caring about the little girl pissed me off even more!!! Had the movie just have ended with him deciding to leave her with the new family and checking in on her, I would have liked the movie but to end it with the mother still being a lousy excuse for a mom and him volunteering to babysit made me pissed at myself for watching and wasting my time on this film! Expand
drambuie_May 6, 2017
well a great cast in not enough. Casey Affleck was great but the story was flat . i did not get carried away, i was mostly bored , not even the plot twist did anything for me.
choomtabi31Jun 1, 2016
Good film. When you think you know what's going on, they give you another situation and then another. Multiple possibilities in this gritty drama/suspense.

Watch it online for free: https://www.primewire.ag/watch-1441-Gone-Baby-Gone
LukehatJun 29, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I enjoyed the gritty conversations and the setting. The plot was engaging. The conclusion thought provoking (which is incredibly rare in films).
Casey Affleck was brilliant.
It would be a 10 but I thought Michelle Monaghan was either cast badly or acted weak which decreased my engagement slightly, and when one thinks about it in more depth the conclusion to the plot seems kind of wierd as well. There are so many children in probably worse situations, that could be adopted legally, so why would any person with any sense, risk everything to abduct that specific girl. There are probably another 10 girls on the block in a similar situation. Still the film, presented moral issues that I found interesting, and that is so rare in filmaking, that this film deserves high praise.