Gone Baby Gone

7.7

1. Nathan
    Oct 26, 2007
    Awesome flick. Great movie about right and wrong and what one has to go through to make the right choices. Awesome performances from all and Casey Affleck (despite some critics views) is perfect for the lead. Gritty, powerful, and thought provoking. Well done.
  2. FromtheNorth
    Oct 20, 2007
    Oscar-worthy.High five to a talented filmmaker.
  3. KarenW.
    Oct 22, 2007
    Powerful! A mystery that twist and turns, compelling ethical dilemma, and really exciting! The best movie I've seen this year.
  4. JohnB.
    Oct 24, 2007
    Quite powerful and thought provoking. Exactly what a film like this should be.
  5. BillB
    Feb 20, 2008
    Being from the Boston area, I can truly say that Gone Baby Gone really captures the true essence of the city and it's slums.
  6. AndrewA
    Jan 18, 2010
    Very good movie, one of the best endings that i can remember. Definitely recommend watching.
  7. VirgilQ.
    Oct 19, 2007
    Great film of 2007!
  8. LesleyW.
    Oct 20, 2007
    One of the best this year! Casey Affleck is a star.
  9. DiannaS.
    Oct 22, 2007
    I loved the movie. Simple as that. It made me think - a Hollywood movie hasn't done that in a long time. I really couldn't tell this was a first-time director's work. Kudos all around.
  10. NickA.
    Oct 22, 2007
    The return of Ben Affleck has come, hard. Never acknowledged as a great actor, Ben Affleck did, once, contribute something of quality to the world of Hollywood cinema: he co-wrote 'Good Will Hunting'
  11. AngelicaH.
    Feb 24, 2008
    Ben Afflect should stay where he truly belongs: behind the camera. Great story, characters are multi-faceted. All you want from a movie.
  12. Chris
    Mar 21, 2008
    People who reacted negatively to Gone Baby Gone are probably missing the point. It's not about plot twists, or predictability, or the fact that the story is dark. It's about the fact that this compelling film deftly leads viewers to the moral dilemma at the end and evokes an emotional response. So many "important" films end without creating any sort of discussion, let alone People who reacted negatively to Gone Baby Gone are probably missing the point. It's not about plot twists, or predictability, or the fact that the story is dark. It's about the fact that this compelling film deftly leads viewers to the moral dilemma at the end and evokes an emotional response. So many "important" films end without creating any sort of discussion, let alone debate. Whatever structural flaws the movie has, there is no debate over the fact that the ending will be one of the most talked about of the year. Expand
  13. DallinP
    Jul 13, 2009
    This movie has great characters, great plot twists, and many other features that make it resemble a literary classic more than a movie. It's really no surprise to find it was adapted from a book. It left me and everyone who watched it with me discussing for almost an hour, and few movies are able to accomplish that.
  14. RussL
    Oct 28, 2007
    I think many critics were harsh to the film because Affleck directed it. If Eastwood made this people would be hailing it as another masterpiece. It was much better than 's "Mystic River" which relied on the high-octane acting but ultimately fell apart as mystery. (What did Kevin Bacon's character do again?) Everything in Gone Baby Gone is there for a reason, making it a hell of I think many critics were harsh to the film because Affleck directed it. If Eastwood made this people would be hailing it as another masterpiece. It was much better than 's "Mystic River" which relied on the high-octane acting but ultimately fell apart as mystery. (What did Kevin Bacon's character do again?) Everything in Gone Baby Gone is there for a reason, making it a hell of a thriller with an terrific final act that stays with you for days. Expand
  15. KateP.
    Nov 12, 2007
    Way more insightful and philosophical than I had been expecting. Depressing but very real, I'd see it again.
  16. Aug 14, 2010
    Gone Baby Gone is a scary and haunting film with great performances and intense suspense and tension. Who would know Ben Affleck could direct a film.

A movie dealing with child abduction and how it surrounds the people involved. A child is kidnapped and the family hires two private detectives because they can talk to people in the neighborhood that won't talk to the cops. Things start going out of the ordinary when multiple secretes are reveled. It leads more to dangerous situations.

One of my favorite movies and a big surprise from Affleck.
  17. Jun 5, 2013
    Questions of moral and doing the right thing are all brought up in this wonderfully twisted and surprising tale from Director and co-writer Ben Affleck. Perhaps it was unfortunate that the UK audience wouldn't have fully appreciated this excellent and thoughtful film due to the disappearance of Madeline McCann in the same year of the film's release, a girl around the same age andQuestions of moral and doing the right thing are all brought up in this wonderfully twisted and surprising tale from Director and co-writer Ben Affleck. Perhaps it was unfortunate that the UK audience wouldn't have fully appreciated this excellent and thoughtful film due to the disappearance of Madeline McCann in the same year of the film's release, a girl around the same age and appearance of the the girl this film centres around.
    Little Amanda has been abducted from her home in Boston, desperate for her return, the family hire outside help in the form of PI Patrick (Casey Affleck) and Angie (Michelle Monaghan), much to the displeasure of local law enforcement.
    But as the two dig deeper into the case, a case involving drug lords, family members and even corrupt cops, Patrick begins to realise there is something much bigger going on than a standard abduction, with every hour ticking past looking less likely that the young girl will be found alive, or found at all.
    The film works to open the eyes of close-minded and one shot people who perceive everything at first glance, as the film takes viewers hopes and expectations and dashes or turns them upside down when each corner is turned, twist after twist has made this wonderful filmmaking impossible to call first time.
    Not to say it was made to surprise, it was made to broaden your scope, ask people just where you may call home and just who exactly you may be better off with, but also bringing in the other side of maintaining the law, even if the law itself doesn't.
    Casey Affleck is truly on top of his game, he delivers an unforgettable turn as Patrick, a man dedicated to finding the truth, even when he is frowned upon for his age, style and his apparent lack of experience. Morgan Freeman plays a cop who is unfortunately reliving something that he himself had to go through, and we are immediately drawn in to his insistence and promise that this girl will be found.
    Amy Ryan puts in the most surprising and best performances, she has us convinced that her daughter was indeed kidnapped and she wants her back, but her actions and life make it questionable whether this young girl should be with her or not.
    Easily one of the best and most intriguing films of 2007, an emotional journey of morality and disbelief will come along with Gone Baby Gone, it will leave many questioning its decisions but ultimately prove a wonderful story in slow-paced style has been told.
  18. Dec 8, 2011
    Gone Baby Gone is a movie that takes you for a very exciting ride from beginning to end. It is based on the Dennis Lehane novel. Gone Baby Gone takes place in Boston and is about a 4-year-old girl that goes missing and her aunt hires two private detectives to augment the investigation. The two private detectives that she hires are Patrick Kenzie (Casey Affleck) and Angie GennaroGone Baby Gone is a movie that takes you for a very exciting ride from beginning to end. It is based on the Dennis Lehane novel. Gone Baby Gone takes place in Boston and is about a 4-year-old girl that goes missing and her aunt hires two private detectives to augment the investigation. The two private detectives that she hires are Patrick Kenzie (Casey Affleck) and Angie Gennaro (Michelle Monaghan). As the movie progress, Kenzie and Gennaro unravel all of the twists and turns where nothing is what it seems. Between the drug dealers, crooked cops and gun fights, this movie gives you all the excitement you could ask for. This movie is very good, but it is also extremely sad. This movie shows how some people live and how they would choose drugs and money over their own children. I would definitely recommend people to go and see this movie.

The cast is great in this movie. The connection between Casey Affleck and Michelle Monaghan is incredible. The two of them complement each other extremely well. Patrick Kenzie (Affleck) narrates the movie. In the opening scene he says: â
  19. IanR
    Jan 2, 2008
    There is a compelling ethical question raised skillfully that will haunt viewers.
  20. CharlesG.
    Feb 13, 2008
    Thought-provoking with an excellent cast even down to the extras who looked 100% authentic -probably because they were. This movie deserves more credit than the critics have given it. Ben Affleck has more than made up for Gigli.
  21. JustinF.
    Feb 18, 2008
    Great plot twists that keep you on the edge, in the beginning and end. The middle gets a little slow, but overall, this is one of the best movies of 2007. Raises great ethical questions that leave you thinking. These are the kinds of films that America needs!
  22. R.Lopez
    Sep 25, 2009
    This movie is what you call a can't miss movie it has all the makings of a great film and let me be say that it is a great crime film at that, probably one of the best since Street Kings and Narc. It's execution and style almost borders on Noir and it does so with oh so much style and grace. Ben Affleck proves that he's as good an actor and screenplay writer(Good Will This movie is what you call a can't miss movie it has all the makings of a great film and let me be say that it is a great crime film at that, probably one of the best since Street Kings and Narc. It's execution and style almost borders on Noir and it does so with oh so much style and grace. Ben Affleck proves that he's as good an actor and screenplay writer(Good Will Hunting) as he is a director. Ben Affleck surpasses his previous screenplay which he won the Oscar for( which was just as good here) and creates an intricately woven and malicious Crime Mystery. When I first heard about this movie I had absolutely no interest in crime films I was more into Sci-Fi then crime. But now after almost three years and finally deciding to see this film I'm glad I did. This crime drama is powerful in it's execution and sinister in it's play on words and scenarios. It moves along like a wicked little machine taking you here and there and everywhere in it's story all the while keeping you totally in tune with the plot and the going on's of the film. It's so wrapped up in it's story that when you start watching it your slowly but surely drawn in and to tell you the truth this movie won't let you out until it's over and done with. This movie has a very well rounded cast of actors that all display there talents above there normal status quot, Casey Affleck is one who stood out in this film his strong performance drove this film and made it something more than just your run of the mill crime film, his performance stole the show him and Ed Harris blew away anything they've done in the past and have made a strong stand here and came out on top. Michelle Monaghan was beautiful as always but she got sandwiched by Cast Affleck and Ed Harris' strong performances and is almost a throw away in the film(which her character was anyways.) Morgan Freeman who's small but pivotal role was not a scene stealer but he did exceptionally well for the time he was on screen. All in all this film is something you can't miss, it's a study in the devious corrupt nature of man and the true meaning of justice for children. It's a film that you can see over and over again and it will still have the same affect as the first time you watched it. It's a devious ride of sin, lies , love and making the right choices even if they affect those around you. Gone Baby Gone is a movie that is going down in the crime section as one of the best of all time, and it rightfully deserves it this films delivers non-stop mystery and deceit that is hypnotizing and engrossing, All in all this is a can't miss thought provoking Crime drama that must be seen to be believed. Gone Baby Gone delivers. Expand
  23. KenP.
    Nov 5, 2007
    Slow at first but picks up speed and leaves you really thinking about whats best for children
  24. DebbieK
    Oct 21, 2007
    Definitely not a feel-good movie, but it's an excellent film. One of the most realistic pictures I've seen in a long time. Kudos to Ben and his little brother. Honestly, I went to see this because of Morgan Freeman, but Casey caught my attention more than Morgan did! Hard to outshine the great MF, but I feel like Casey did it here.
  25. susang.
    Oct 25, 2007
    Best ending to a moral thriller ever!!! The script and acting were top notch!!!
  26. LeeB.
    Feb 24, 2008
    The finest directorial debut that I can remember. I can't wait to see what Ben Affleck does in the future. Superb cast!
  27. ChadB.
    Feb 9, 2008
    Every once in a while I see a movie and not know anything about it. Well, this movie grabbed me from the beginning and I enjoyed the thrill ride the whole way through. The moral choice at the end leaves you thinking. I would recommend this movie highly!
  28. TerriF.
    Jan 28, 2009
    While I hate the way the main character resolved the movie's conflict, I love the movie. I think that is suppose to be the whole point. THerefore, I say kudos to Ben Affleck.
  29. CydneyB.
    Oct 19, 2007
    The Affleck boys sure know their Boston. Loved the book.. but this is even better. We'll be owning this one when it comes out on DVD. Wowie!
  30. VernonM.
    Nov 16, 2007
    With the exception of Ed Harris' hairpiece the movie seemed authentic in every aspect. Casey Affleck nailed the role of Patrick McKenzie, demonstrating a toughness that barely belied is youthful, innocent appearance. The story line may have been a bit forced but the overall grittiness and realism to the surroundings and the actors was a credit to Ben Affleck's direction. Any With the exception of Ed Harris' hairpiece the movie seemed authentic in every aspect. Casey Affleck nailed the role of Patrick McKenzie, demonstrating a toughness that barely belied is youthful, innocent appearance. The story line may have been a bit forced but the overall grittiness and realism to the surroundings and the actors was a credit to Ben Affleck's direction. Any movie that can have you discussing moral decisions upon its conclusion is worth the price of admission. Although I realize that this will in no way be a franchise I would not mind sitting through another McKenzie/Gennaro adventure in the future-as long as the same quality is maintained that was achieved in this outing. Expand
  31. Feb 11, 2011
    Thoroughly disturbing. Well filmed. Well acted. This is not a movie for the lighthearted. See it and judge for yourself
  32. Jun 27, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Brutally honest. Those two words sum up this movie from the gritty locations, using local talent for the fill in roles, the characters interaction, the length of time the movie indicates passes, to the dialogue and the daily moral dilemmas that unravel throughout the movie from the nearly the first to the very last scene. Bravo.Having read the book "Gone Baby Gone" by Dennis Lehane, this is one of the few times where I felt the movie adaption was superior in streamlining or updating the subject matters from the source and I liked the the book. My one complaint was the role of Angie wasn't used to her fullest in the movie...otherwise this was phenomenal directorial debut by Ben Affleck and an outstanding job by the notable cast of actors and actresses. Expand
  33. Jul 13, 2013
    Awesome film. Ben Affleck did great as director and then Casey Affleck kicked a** and took names in the lead role. Not much to criticize here. Overall, a thought provoking film that certainly leaves you wanting more.
  34. Dec 4, 2013
    This is a remarkable film.This proposition of every single detail is stunning.By the rule of the movie was going sometimes they missed some emotion and Technics.And the acting was great
  35. Jul 26, 2014
    I am very suprised of the user score, because this is a very well done film, a great Boston flick from Ben Affleck, Casey Affleck puts on a very great performance, nice work by the talented cast as well. The question that i had in my head at the end of the movie was "what is home ?"
  36. Jun 1, 2016
    Good film. When you think you know what's going on, they give you another situation and then another. Multiple possibilities in this gritty drama/suspense.

Watch it online for free: https://www.primewire.ag/watch-1441-Gone-Baby-Gone
  37. MatthewM.
    Oct 20, 2007
    Duality of man at it's peak... Left me asking questions about the kinds of moral choices we all have to make. Affleck gets a little pretentious in his extra shots like other actors this year, but overall the writing is great, the revelations are surprising, and the acting and characters are so real I felt like I know Boston now. Go see it!
  38. profB
    Oct 20, 2007
    Am a huge fan of Lehane's Kenzie and Gennaro novels and walked into this a bit skeptical that Afflecks and co. could pull of the big screen translation. Happily, I was wrong--though there is little 'happy' in this dark and morally ambiguous story. One review above notes rightly that Michelle Monaghan's role has been sharply reduced from the book. Since the doe-eyed Am a huge fan of Lehane's Kenzie and Gennaro novels and walked into this a bit skeptical that Afflecks and co. could pull of the big screen translation. Happily, I was wrong--though there is little 'happy' in this dark and morally ambiguous story. One review above notes rightly that Michelle Monaghan's role has been sharply reduced from the book. Since the doe-eyed Monoghan's miscast as the whip-smart Gennaro, that may be just as well. The younger Affleck, who at times looks like he's 17, more than picks up the slack. His seething performance is frequently terrific, as is the direction. A borderline-great but frequently difficult film. Expand
  39. AriK.
    Jan 31, 2008
    This is a solid film with a great conflict at its core. Casey Affleck is great here. Michelle Monaghan is great, though I wish we saw quite a bit more of her character. I'd also say that the editing choices felt just a tad slow at times, especially the shot at the end with Casey watching TV.
  40. Johnny2cents
    Mar 2, 2008
    I'm giving it an 8 only because it was so damn rough and uncomfortable to watch at times. I can't remember the last time I heard a woman annunciate the C word in a movie with such conviction. I'm no prude and I've seen hundreds of caustic movies before, but I guess unlike the Pulp Fiction's of the movie world which are pure in your face nihilistic entertainment, I'm giving it an 8 only because it was so damn rough and uncomfortable to watch at times. I can't remember the last time I heard a woman annunciate the C word in a movie with such conviction. I'm no prude and I've seen hundreds of caustic movies before, but I guess unlike the Pulp Fiction's of the movie world which are pure in your face nihilistic entertainment, the subject matter in Gone is about as dreadfully real as one can possibly imagine and one that every parent on earth shivers at the thought of. The direction was nothing new but B. Affleck did a great job with what he has learned in the past, whether studying other directors or learned what not to do while on the other side of the camera. And how Amy Ryan didn Expand
  41. AldenM.
    Oct 21, 2007
    Amy Ryan and Ed Harris are going to be players in the oscar race. Affleck's screenplay could get a nod as well. Tight, well done film
    Dec 30, 2007
    Great movie except the ending was too depressing.
  43. MarkJ
    Oct 26, 2007
    Excellent movie....would be better only with English subtitles as the Boston accents at some times are over the top and render some of the dialogue indecipherable....
  44. BillC.
    Oct 22, 2007
    I'm tempted to give it a 9 , but I'll leave it at 8. Don't go to this expecting a Disney movie.The couple behind us left due to the barrage of "F" words. Not the perfect movie but entertaining and very watchable.All the performances seemed spot on , and the films non-star actors were very impressive. I've always seen Ben Affleck as over rated & spoiled. I may have to I'm tempted to give it a 9 , but I'll leave it at 8. Don't go to this expecting a Disney movie.The couple behind us left due to the barrage of "F" words. Not the perfect movie but entertaining and very watchable.All the performances seemed spot on , and the films non-star actors were very impressive. I've always seen Ben Affleck as over rated & spoiled. I may have to re-think that? Maybe? Expand
  45. sabihm.
    Oct 31, 2007
    Surprisingly good movie...start off a little heavy handed, but definitely gets gripping towards the end.
  46. MoeS.
    Feb 16, 2008
    A terrific movie with a thought provoking ending. i am amazed that metacritic does not include any ryan in the cast list. she is, afterall, nominated for an oscar as supporting female actor.
  47. Jan 25, 2011
    A gritty down and dirty Boston flick that leaves you pondering questions that you may find you don't have an answer for. If you are the type that doesn't enjoy a movie with a happy ending that don't even put Gone Baby Gone into your DVD player as it will leave you with an empty feeling inside and will eat away at you logic and ethical viewpoints. If on the other hand you can handle aA gritty down and dirty Boston flick that leaves you pondering questions that you may find you don't have an answer for. If you are the type that doesn't enjoy a movie with a happy ending that don't even put Gone Baby Gone into your DVD player as it will leave you with an empty feeling inside and will eat away at you logic and ethical viewpoints. If on the other hand you can handle a depressing ending than Gone Baby Gone is a movie that provokes a myriad of question and ethical discussion topics while also providing top notch acting and superb directing by first timer Ben Affleck. Expand
  48. Jan 29, 2012
    This is a great thriller. It never stops, very smart, psychological and complex. Although the story gets a bit clumsy it is expertly told and coherent. Loved it.
  49. May 27, 2013
    gone baby gone is a unique movie and diffidently my favorite movie by Ben Affleck.
    it's provided a solid story with a little bit of mystery not knowing what's the next scene is going to be.
    and i love the fact that Casey Affleck was casted as the leading actor he's not that great of an actor he missed few spots but he fit in the character it's like the movie was written about him.
    his personality in the movie looks like it's taken from him as a real person and that's what i love about the movie.
  50. Aug 15, 2014
    Casey Affleck needs much more credit than he has to his name. His acting was both believable and really challenges the viewer to walk in his shoes for the 2 hours. Without offering any spoilers if you are a fan of the crime genre and like a good detective drama, this is one for the screen! The language isn't that great, but for the time and place they are in, it fits. It isn't used forCasey Affleck needs much more credit than he has to his name. His acting was both believable and really challenges the viewer to walk in his shoes for the 2 hours. Without offering any spoilers if you are a fan of the crime genre and like a good detective drama, this is one for the screen! The language isn't that great, but for the time and place they are in, it fits. It isn't used for 'humor' or 'entertainment' which can make it easier to deal with. I love it's challenge on morality. Expand
  51. Feb 7, 2015
    What goes quite well in-here is the pacing. Also all the mains are doing fine jobs. And while interesting throughout, it never feels too forced or artificial. The story is very well developed and goes all the way to the finish line (which is not that common with many pretentious movies these days). Anther thing that stood out for me, was the camera angles and scene arrangements - they wereWhat goes quite well in-here is the pacing. Also all the mains are doing fine jobs. And while interesting throughout, it never feels too forced or artificial. The story is very well developed and goes all the way to the finish line (which is not that common with many pretentious movies these days). Anther thing that stood out for me, was the camera angles and scene arrangements - they were done noticeably well.
    Bottom line: highly recommended, as it is one quality piece of cinema which is well worth your movie-watching time.
  52. BillyS.
    Oct 26, 2007
    An excellent directorial debut following his under-rated role in Hollywoodland, you don't have Ben Afflect to kick around anymore! Even better is the direction he has given his brother Casey to the top of the actor want-list and a good shot at an Oscar nomination. Gone Baby Gone is a great suspense thriller with a cast that acts up a storm and a probable Ensemble nomination from the An excellent directorial debut following his under-rated role in Hollywoodland, you don't have Ben Afflect to kick around anymore! Even better is the direction he has given his brother Casey to the top of the actor want-list and a good shot at an Oscar nomination. Gone Baby Gone is a great suspense thriller with a cast that acts up a storm and a probable Ensemble nomination from the SAG. Welcome back Ben, we knew the wait would be worth it! Expand
  53. TroyK
    Oct 26, 2007
    Go see it. Would like to have seen more about their relationship before this case. Like why such a wimpy guy is perceived as a toughie! Great story, great acting.
  54. danielw
    Oct 30, 2007
    The character-driven scenes are great. Affleck has an ear and an eye for body-language and dialogue, and his cast responds with gusto. But he still has a lot to learn about telling a story. The central ambush scene is almost incomprehensible, and crucial plot twists are sprung on the viewer with little or no set-up.
  55. ChadS.
    Feb 25, 2008
    Patrick(Casey Affleck) and Angie(Michelle Monaghan) are a handsome couple. Whatever room they're in, the baby-faced detectives turn heads. Smarter, thinner, and more well-rounded than the rest, better days are ahead for Patrick and Angie if they get lost. But he's happy here. He thought she was happy, too. Circumstances change, however, like in Sam Raimi's "A Simple Plan", Patrick(Casey Affleck) and Angie(Michelle Monaghan) are a handsome couple. Whatever room they're in, the baby-faced detectives turn heads. Smarter, thinner, and more well-rounded than the rest, better days are ahead for Patrick and Angie if they get lost. But he's happy here. He thought she was happy, too. Circumstances change, however, like in Sam Raimi's "A Simple Plan", and their love is put to the test. When Patrick decides to follows the letter of the law in "Gone Baby Gone", Angie realizes that she and her high-school sweeheart have grown apart. Casey needs to endorse his neighborhood, so he does "the right thing". He needs to defend his life, her life, and their life together. But Angie only wants what's best for Amanda. F*** ego! That's a man issue. Patrick may have the authority to prevent a little girl from escaping working-class Boston, but not a grown woman, who probably has grown tired of being a Jane Austen character. Next time, she'll go for a rich man. Expand
  56. TonyB.
    Apr 27, 2008
    Ben Affleck's directorial debut is a winner, and he deserves to be heard from. This is a morally ambiguous thriller that refuses to take an easy way out. It is, however, somewhat more convoluted than it needs to be. The acting by all concerned is fine.
  57. LisaZ
    May 29, 2009
    Ending is hard to believe. It's just totally not believable that Morgan Freeman's character would do that. Also, I don't understand how Freeman could possibly have expected to get away with what he did. Wouldn't someone at some point ask him where the little girl came from? Wouldn't he have to get her documented somehow? It doesn't make sense. Still, the Ending is hard to believe. It's just totally not believable that Morgan Freeman's character would do that. Also, I don't understand how Freeman could possibly have expected to get away with what he did. Wouldn't someone at some point ask him where the little girl came from? Wouldn't he have to get her documented somehow? It doesn't make sense. Still, the movie scores extra points for including one scene with Omar. His healing presence steals the show! Expand
  58. MarlaC.
    Jul 16, 2009
    I thought this was interesting. lots of twists and turns. i missed some of the dialogue with the heavy punk and Boston accents. rent it definitely!
  59. LindaL.
    Feb 19, 2008
    Great, gritty atmosphere, and the actors managed a real-life vibe that reminded me of "Mystic River." SLIGHT SPOILER ALERT: Have to say that although most of the movie was good, and the closing scene's staging & implications were really brilliant, there are a couple of twists near the end that are just crazy-awful wrong. You're rolling your eyes and saying "THAT would never Great, gritty atmosphere, and the actors managed a real-life vibe that reminded me of "Mystic River." SLIGHT SPOILER ALERT: Have to say that although most of the movie was good, and the closing scene's staging & implications were really brilliant, there are a couple of twists near the end that are just crazy-awful wrong. You're rolling your eyes and saying "THAT would never happen!" For me, that hurt the film a lot. Expand
  60. Aug 23, 2010
    Child gets kidnapped, Aunt & Uncle hire detectives to find her, Police already investigating, things go wrong.
    Ben Affleck's directing debut which is a very real story based in the Boston area.
    Some of the accents are quite hard to understand at times but the acting is good & the twists & turns in the story work well.
  61. Aug 31, 2014
    As far as directorial debuts go, this is the type of film new directors would kill to be a part of. Ben Affleck creates a moving tale set in Boston, with several award-worthy performances from Casey Affleck and Amy Ryan.

1. It's a tribute to this thoughtful, deeply poignant, splendidly executed film that we replay the conclusion in our minds long after the lights come on.
  2. Reviewed by: Lisa Nesselson
    Moral ambiguity is the real star of Ben Affleck's helming debut, Gone Baby Gone, an involving Boston-set tale of mixed motives, selflessness and perfidy in the wake of a 4-year-old girl's disappearance.
  3. Casey Affleck has never had a pedestal like the one his brother provides him, and he earns it. His Patrick is pale and raspy, with a slight grogginess that gives him an astounding vulnerability--and makes his bursts of temper shocking.