6.9

1. SoniaO
    Oct 13, 2009
    I enjoyed this movie. There are lots of interesting facts about black hair care that I didn't know about - and I'm black!
  2. Scalabrine21
    Oct 15, 2009
    There are very few non-ficition based movies available for viewing in theaters, that are humorous, clever, amusing, educational, insightful, at times unsettling, and overall worth every penny of the $10 you spent. This is one of those movies. I am a caucasian male and I loved every minute of this movie. Chris Rock is headed for a wonderful career in documentaries if he chooses to do so, There are very few non-ficition based movies available for viewing in theaters, that are humorous, clever, amusing, educational, insightful, at times unsettling, and overall worth every penny of the $10 you spent. This is one of those movies. I am a caucasian male and I loved every minute of this movie. Chris Rock is headed for a wonderful career in documentaries if he chooses to do so, because when you can make a feature film an hour and a half long that a studio believes will make a profit on just hair, you are doing something right! Sitting there, I felt like I was allowed into a secret society of not only hair care, but also one's identity, one's fears, and an entire cultural perception of how beauty is viewed and the lengths one goes through to attain the standard of beauty the world has established. You will leave this movie feeling both touched and informed, and honestly will never look at the hair on your head (or on other's heads) in the same way. Documentary of the year for Chris Rock. Not because he's Chris Rock. But because he chose a topic that's been evident for centuries but never truly been discussed to this length. Expand
  3. BobC
    Dec 6, 2009
    This movie was well-paced and sensitive to the issues of empowerment and oppression. I thought the Atlanta hair show was an effective unifying device, much needed in a documentary.
  4. kathleenc
    Oct 24, 2009
    Informative, intelligent, funny and enjoyable. Hope Chris Rock makes another documentary soon.
  5. LindaC
    Dec 22, 2009
    Even a documentary must be skillfully directed, styled, edited. For overall filmmaking quality it rates a 5, but for topic/subject matter it rates a 10. There is numerous opportunity in the film content to sequel. I hope Chris and his producers see it and will take advantage of the opportunities they created in the film content.

1. Reviewed by: Justin Chang
    A raucous and rigorous inquiry into the subject of African-American hair -- the stigmas, the secrets, the shocking price of maintenance -- that gets at universal but rarely discussed truths about black femininity.
  2. Breezy, superficial documentary.
  3. A slipshod documentary about a fascinating subject: the loaded history and current complications of African-American hairstyling.