A24 | Release Date: August 11, 2017
7.5
Generally favorable reviews based on 162 Ratings
Watch Now
Rebecca31Nov 21, 2017
Robert Pattinson has never shown me he was a great actor until now. A bank robbery doesn't exactly go according to plan which then sets in motion a chain of events that spiral more and more out of control. Desperate, hilarious and brilliant.Robert Pattinson has never shown me he was a great actor until now. A bank robbery doesn't exactly go according to plan which then sets in motion a chain of events that spiral more and more out of control. Desperate, hilarious and brilliant. Good Time is a gem of a movie and you'd do well not to miss it.

Over the course of one night Connie Nikas (Robert Pattinson) tries to free his brother Nick Nikas (Benny Safdie) from prison. And thus mayhem ensues. Good Time sets itself apart from other heist/crime movies due to its extreme unpredictability and the intense grip it has on you from the moment it starts. The level of anxiety I felt during this film was incredible, and this wasn't helped by the stress inducing soundtrack. Original and very fitting, when the music is done right you really do notice it. Robert Pattinson was brilliant in Good Time and if I'm saying that then you know it's true. Gritty crime at its best, what more do I have to say to get you to see it? Highly recommended, this is honestly one of the best crime movies I've seen in recent years.
MetaflixSep 19, 2017
New York City has been enticingly shot a million different ways. 'Good Time' makes it a million-and-one. From the neon lighting, to the cleanly executed close-up shots, to the invigorating musical score, the film maintain a frenetic (andNew York City has been enticingly shot a million different ways. 'Good Time' makes it a million-and-one. From the neon lighting, to the cleanly executed close-up shots, to the invigorating musical score, the film maintain a frenetic (and sometimes frantic) pace that keeps viewers on edge the entire run time. Expand
BrianMcCriticSep 1, 2017
A real gritty and dirty film that is compelling and gives us Robert Pattinson at his best. The character he plays is sleazy and Pattinson plays him straight, he has one motivation and that's to save his own skin. A-
ScraperDec 1, 2017
Pattinson really impressed me. His acting was very good. The movie as a whole kept rolling along and had an entertaining intensity to do so. I was hoping for more conclusions but the script made it clear that there weren't going to be many.Pattinson really impressed me. His acting was very good. The movie as a whole kept rolling along and had an entertaining intensity to do so. I was hoping for more conclusions but the script made it clear that there weren't going to be many. The little surprises made it worth watching. Successful outcomes were continually promised to the characters if they kept attempting dangerous tasks. It kept building and building and that, in itself, gave the picture quality and value. Expand
saintdeckySep 4, 2017
Good Time is an engaging, gritty movie with excellent acting. I think Josh and Ben Safdie could potentially be a future Coen brothers in terms of working together.

Acting: The acting is stellar overall. Robert Pattinson was amazing, stepping

Acting: The acting is stellar overall. Robert Pattinson was amazing, stepping way out of his romantic roles. Ben Safdie also had an excellent performance for the scenes he was in, and is a promising actor and director. Buddy Duress was good, Jennifer Jason Leigh was amazing in her two scenes, and Barkhad Abdi was good in his one scene. Overall, the casting was great and all the performances were amazing.

Characters: The movie had an abundance of characters, all very good especially because of the performances. However, I wished they would have focused more on Ben Safdie, Pattinson's brother in the movie. He was really good and they somewhat ditched him only a third into the movie for a completely different story-line.

Music: I've seen many reviewers say that the soundtrack was bad and intrusive. I found it to fit in with the movie's feel and style most of the time, but there were plenty of scenes where it did get a bit too loud and distracting. There were a few scenes where it works really well, spreading a feeling of uneasiness.

Cinematography: I don't like sitting in the front rows of movies. My neck hurts and I have to look around to see what's happening instead of seeing the entirety of the screen. However, in this movie I had no choice but to sit in the second row, as they were the only available seats. But, it worked very well with this movie, as since the movie pretty much consists of intense close-ups and constant shaky-cam, I felt completely immersed in the movie. I did get a headache by the end, but it was worth it. The movie has a distinct style that I liked, making he movie gritty, grimy, and engaging throughout. The lighting was also done really well, and I really liked some of the set pieces (Adventureland, etc.).

Script: The script wasn't necessarily really special, but considering this is pretty much his first movie with a larger budget, I think he did fine. Again, can't wait to see these two's movies in the future.

Plot: I didn't have a problem with the plot, though the pacing is off sometimes. It remains very fast-paced throughout, but it does slow down somewhat unnecessarily sometimes. It was also hard to tell what happened in a few scenes. There were a few parts where it took me a while to figure out what happened, partly because of the dark lighting, which I'll excuse because it was still done well, and partly because it was fast-paced in scenes where it actually would have helped to slow down just a bit.

Overall, Good Time was exciting, fast-paced, and fun to watch. It may give you a headache, but I think it is pretty worth it. I am looking forward to the Safdies' movies in the future, however I do hope they can end up being flexible enough with their style. Though I do like their intense, up close, intimate camerawork, it could get old after a while. I know their 2014 movie, Heaven Knows What, is basically the same style, so I hope they are open to switching it up if they have to.
FedorkoNov 13, 2017
One of the best movies of the year. Great acting, great directing, awesome writing, clever premise and a powerful message that is relevant. Explores mental illness in modern society in a story where many of the character's motivations areOne of the best movies of the year. Great acting, great directing, awesome writing, clever premise and a powerful message that is relevant. Explores mental illness in modern society in a story where many of the character's motivations are simultaneously selfish and selfless. An alarming film about desperate people living in our world. Robert Pattinson's performance leads the way! Expand
RickOrayDec 29, 2017
My favorite movie of the year. The Safdies with this movie are in continuation with the path initiated by Winding Refn with Drive 6 years ago. They are taking influence from 80's commercial crime movies to make art movies. To a magnificientMy favorite movie of the year. The Safdies with this movie are in continuation with the path initiated by Winding Refn with Drive 6 years ago. They are taking influence from 80's commercial crime movies to make art movies. To a magnificient result : Great story, great actors, great music, great photography and great camera moves. Great feelig ! Expand
MattBrady99Dec 31, 2017
"I think something very important is happening and it's deeply connected to my purpose".

This was more than a good time. The hype with these character for causing crime made for one intense movie experiences. This is a ticking time bomb of a film.

Robert Pattinson is **** fantastic in this. Sorry for the language, but it needed to be said. A fully realized performance that will be talked about for years to come. Few films can make you feel on edge like Pattinson. The Twilight days are past him now and it's time to move on.

Another performance that shouldn't be overlooked is Benny Safdie, who plays Pattinson mentally challenged brother. Safdie is also the director of the film. Directing and acting wise was all stellar.

It's unpredictable in different ways. You never fully know how certain scenes are gonna play out. Not just that, but how funny and incredibly sad it can be. You either laugh at the stupidity of the characters or weep at the depressing reality of it all.

'Good Time' ranks with the very best of the year.

What a great way to end a brilliant year like 2017.
CalistoJul 13, 2018
Such a good movie for watching it with friends, with boxxy software and with dubbing. I done it and it was awesome!
MarcDoyleAug 11, 2017
Easily one of the funniest, most inventive films of the year. It's fast moving like Trainspotting, but has the grimy feel of KIDS. Pattinson is fantastic, but the movie would be nothing without the bravura performance by Buddy Duress whoEasily one of the funniest, most inventive films of the year. It's fast moving like Trainspotting, but has the grimy feel of KIDS. Pattinson is fantastic, but the movie would be nothing without the bravura performance by Buddy Duress who plays ex-Con Ray and who brings HUGE laughs. (Can't mention what role he plays in the film without giving away a major spoiler.) I would be shocked if this film doesn't catapult him to much bigger and better things. Jennifer Jason Leigh, of course, is brilliant in a smaller role. I knew absolutely nothing about this film before seeing it, and I was really happy that I didn't - it's how I'd recommend you engage with it. Skip the trailer, don't read much up on it. Just see it. Expand
moviemitch96Aug 26, 2017
A24 is at it again with this flashy and colorful trip of a film! Robert Pattinson is in top form, and the film is fast-paced quite often and rarely lets up! It echoes the vibes of other classic crime films, such as 'Taxi Driver', 'Dog DayA24 is at it again with this flashy and colorful trip of a film! Robert Pattinson is in top form, and the film is fast-paced quite often and rarely lets up! It echoes the vibes of other classic crime films, such as 'Taxi Driver', 'Dog Day Afternoon', etc, while at the same time maintaining a unique and imaginative look at a robbery gone wrong. Overall, my only minor objection is that the film is maybe even a little too fast-paced and free-flowing often times, but hey! After all, that is was made this film such a Good Time! Expand
taylormanAug 26, 2017
Exciting, gritty, edgy and consistently engaging grimy thriller with a career-best performance from Pattinson as a stressed, strained but sympathetic crook in a literal race against time to save/help his mentally handicapped brother.
alejandro970Dec 31, 2017
A uncanny, unthinkable Robert Pattinson is the soul of an action thriller that contains the inertia for catch the viewer attention and have it on the edge of seat. One of greatest surprises of 2017.
JLuis_001Nov 3, 2017
The best acting work I've seen from Robert Pattinson results in another success for A24, a thriller not unrelated to the norm and yet it's one that balances its narrative strengths on a very solid way managing to maintain a frenetic rhythmThe best acting work I've seen from Robert Pattinson results in another success for A24, a thriller not unrelated to the norm and yet it's one that balances its narrative strengths on a very solid way managing to maintain a frenetic rhythm that catches you and won't let you until the end.

When I heard about this movie, I did not really believe in it, therefore I did not have a preconceived idea of what I would see but i'm glad of it because it's always good to receive this kind of surprises when you least expect it.
DrBlahBlahJan 1, 2018
One of the best films of the year, Good Time is exactly what the title claims, and then some. It's an hour and thirty minutes of manic brilliance, with all-too-real action and characters that break your heart and horrify in equal measure.
Roger1718Dec 29, 2017
It was a good time. A great movie, and probably pattinson's best performance yet. I am curious to see what the Safdie brothers will bring in the future. This guys have potential.
ReubenIsAGodDec 30, 2017
I came for a good time, and I had a good time. FLick was kinetic, a lot happens. It's literally, for a lack of a better explanation, basically watching a **** continue to **** up and **** up and **** up to the point of exhaustion. VisuallyI came for a good time, and I had a good time. FLick was kinetic, a lot happens. It's literally, for a lack of a better explanation, basically watching a **** continue to **** up and **** up and **** up to the point of exhaustion. Visually it's stunning, every shot is vibrant and alive. Also THIS is a better use of soundtrack to evoke theme, sensation and authenticity of shots and overall beats of the flick, it conveys the emotion of the flim.

The Film's soundtrack is essential to the viewing experience. It evokes a lot of energy of the flick. Unlike Baby Driver, where the soundtrack feels like Edger Weight just wanted to force tracks that he personally loved into the film, I believe that by doing this Wright takes away focus from the narrative of the actual film, it becomes part of the narrative unevenly, opposed to being a device to move or thematically convey identities or thematics of the film. Tonally his track listening id argue also takes away from the actual tone of the film, making its narrative uneven. Good Time seems to understand this, and uses the soundtrack as motive and driving force to enhance themes and great a tension, its not there to basically just be there, it serves to create a feeling, and evoke the passion or the anxiety of the characters. It was excellent film. I loved it. i'd definitely watch Good Time again, cause it was a good time.
ffejeryFeb 1, 2018
This movie is pulp fiction level story telling with thief level cinematography. It's a modern urban folk-tale. Robert Pattinson is stellar as a criminal on the lamb. He's a total sketch-ball whose redeeming quality is his love for hisThis movie is pulp fiction level story telling with thief level cinematography. It's a modern urban folk-tale. Robert Pattinson is stellar as a criminal on the lamb. He's a total sketch-ball whose redeeming quality is his love for his learning disabled brother- although even that ends up doing more bad for his brother than good. Multiple twists, vivid imagery, the movie is called good time for a reason. One of my favorite movies of 2017. I saw it twice in one weekend. Expand
The3AcademySinsMar 5, 2018
Good Time is a thriller that will grab you and not let go. Everything about this film is so well crafted and intense, from the stunning shots to the overbearing sound design. Robert Pattinson gives what is easily his best performance, and youGood Time is a thriller that will grab you and not let go. Everything about this film is so well crafted and intense, from the stunning shots to the overbearing sound design. Robert Pattinson gives what is easily his best performance, and you end up rooting for this sleazy, scheming character he plays. The Safdie brothers show us a really unique side of New York City, and Ben Safdie also plays a really nuanced, mentally challenged character. This is truly a great film, and I cannot wait to see what the Safdie brothers do next. Expand
XarithusApr 30, 2018
Grueling, tense, well paced and well acted. One of the best thrillers of 2017.
ilayabrMay 11, 2018
An absolute work of art. Everything about this movie makes you feel this constant stress like you feel the main character is gonna fail every second - The absolutely incredible soundtrack, the constant twists and turns, the story keepsAn absolute work of art. Everything about this movie makes you feel this constant stress like you feel the main character is gonna fail every second - The absolutely incredible soundtrack, the constant twists and turns, the story keeps progressing smoothly, the ending is absolutely perfect (and I'm doing my hardest not to spoil it), you have this love-hate relationship with characters, you feel empathy for the autistic guy, you always have this feeling something's gonna go wrong, absolutely brilliant.
One of my all-time favorites.
GrantD243May 22, 2018
The first A24 film I've ever watched was Good Time, which I knew absolutely nothing about before I watched it. All I had seen before watching it was the Blu-Ray cover at Best Buy, and it didn't really tip me off to what kind of movie it was.The first A24 film I've ever watched was Good Time, which I knew absolutely nothing about before I watched it. All I had seen before watching it was the Blu-Ray cover at Best Buy, and it didn't really tip me off to what kind of movie it was. Essentially, it's the story of a man, named Connie, who robs a bank with his handicapped brother and his brother ends up getting arrested, and so it follows Connie as he tries to get him out of prison. It's a fast-paced thriller that was quite entertaining, and really it's quite realistic, which was surprising. I don't expect movies to be realistic. They are movies, after all. But Connie's one-night journey comes off as the kind of night somebody could actually have if they were desperate to free a loved one from prison as fast as they could. And that impressed me, and made me even more interested in the film. The cinematography is also quite good, although I am a sucker for the "outrun" style color palette. This was a nice shakeup from the films I've been watching lately. Interesting premise and solid execution. Expand
runyamouthJul 9, 2018
I believe this is one of the most underrated movies in recent years. While the storyline and theme are simple, the underlining themes and nuances make the movie incredibly complex. This film will keep you on edge the entire time and pull youI believe this is one of the most underrated movies in recent years. While the storyline and theme are simple, the underlining themes and nuances make the movie incredibly complex. This film will keep you on edge the entire time and pull you into the story. I would highly recommend watching. Expand
nikkiwildAug 5, 2018
This film is great with it's acting and with it's cinematography.
There is nothing much that i can talk about , it's simply one of the best films of 2017