tbd

No user score yet- Awaiting 1 more rating

1. May 10, 2014
    There are some movies would have been better in a longer format, something very much prevalent in British television: the one-off three episode series. As the "Welcome Home" song ended and the credits finally stopped rolling, I felt that I wanted to see more of this story. I would describe the atmosphere as a more pleasant The Walking Dead, when they were still on Herschel's farm. I generally like character studies, especially if it is done well, like Sundance Channel's Rectify.

There was something really compelling about the very flawed characters, and the understated acting helped a lot. I really like Ben McKenzie in this adult and no-cheese acting work. Actually it goes for Adrian Grenier as well, as I have not been a fan of his; I don't hate him in this movie. I liked all the characters, really.

From the outset, there is inevitable comparison to It's A Disaster, a comedy from 2012. Although they are pretty much going for very different genres, there have the similar premise of friends stuck in a house while the world ends outside. I like both movies and it doesn't feel like watching the same thing twice, but if I had to choose, I would choose Goodbye World, only because it is better written for the genre it is made for. It's A Disaster was funny, but it was not so funny.

What goes against this movie is that the resolution and story overall is approached from a rational intellectual perspective, which is not realistic. "We are the enemy," as Laura said. People are not naturally good, which everyone in this movie is, except for the cartoon villain Damon. The optimistic outlook of this movie is what might have drawn me to it, but it is also its biggest flaw.
  2. Apr 10, 2014
    Great movie, good actors nice story, didn't like the ending but it' definitely a movie worth watching :) by the way nice soundtracks. The critics were to harsh with the movie...

1. Reviewed by: Katie Walsh
    Apr 4, 2014
    The strength of Goodbye World is that it understands the foibles of these characters and lets them be as flawed as they are while they are also trying to survive not just the apocalypse but each other.
  2. Reviewed by: Glenn Kenny
    Apr 4, 2014
    I am probably indulging in a rather obnoxious form of criticism-as-parlor-game-psychotherapy by positing that each of the three main white male characters in director Denis Henry Hennelly's Goodbye World is meant to represent a facet of the director himself. Unfortunately, such activity is about all the movie is any good for.
  3. Reviewed by: Nicolas Rapold
    Apr 3, 2014
    As these overwritten characters cope and make fresh romantic missteps, the movie cruises obliviously along, littered with glib dialogue and howler developments.