7.2

1. Mar 31, 2012
    I stopped rabidly watching hockey around the mid-90's - after the Rangers/Devil's went back-to-back. I know they've toned down the violence since then, so it's great looking back on this style of hockey, with the talent and the enforcer going hand-in-hand. For me, it was Gretzky - McSorely . Seann William Scott doesn't have to stretch for this role, but he's damned funny. What wasI stopped rabidly watching hockey around the mid-90's - after the Rangers/Devil's went back-to-back. I know they've toned down the violence since then, so it's great looking back on this style of hockey, with the talent and the enforcer going hand-in-hand. For me, it was Gretzky - McSorely . Seann William Scott doesn't have to stretch for this role, but he's damned funny. What was unexpected is the strength and comedic contributions of the supporting cast - especially his teammates. They're hilarious. The bottom line is that this is no high-art sports movie like Breaking Away. It's FUN, and I couldn't stop laughing. The romantic slice is handled nicely as well, with the drummer from Sex Bob-omb doing a nice job as the girl who appreciates the blood & guts of minor league hockey and who appreciates the innocence & sincerity of her tough-guy suitor. Expand
  2. Jun 22, 2012
    A sports comedy not just for sports fans. From beginning to end you will be laughing, and the laughs are consistent throughout the film. It has directing and awesome fight scenes. And amazing writing. But the stand out for me would be the acting. Especially Seann William Scott, who is just a loveable naive fighting machine. He plays Doug Glatt so well that you actually forget that theA sports comedy not just for sports fans. From beginning to end you will be laughing, and the laughs are consistent throughout the film. It has directing and awesome fight scenes. And amazing writing. But the stand out for me would be the acting. Especially Seann William Scott, who is just a loveable naive fighting machine. He plays Doug Glatt so well that you actually forget that the character he is famous for is Stifler. The supporting cast is also great, some stand outs are the Rusian brothers, David Lawrence, Liev Schreiber, Kim Coates and Alison Pill. This really is a great comedy. Collapse
  3. May 20, 2012
    I'm Canadian, and I can relate to every moment of this film. Maybe others had a tough time relating, but I've never laughed out loud in a theater that much in my life. SWS plays the super-tough slow-witted nice guy perfectly. I'd like to see him in this type of character as often as possible. It was one of those movies with great moment to moment directing. No part dragged, and theI'm Canadian, and I can relate to every moment of this film. Maybe others had a tough time relating, but I've never laughed out loud in a theater that much in my life. SWS plays the super-tough slow-witted nice guy perfectly. I'd like to see him in this type of character as often as possible. It was one of those movies with great moment to moment directing. No part dragged, and the violence was worked just right into the movie. This is my new favorite sports movie. Expand
  4. Mar 30, 2012
    Wow, incredible comedy film, really the performance of Sean William Scott is really funny, the trama is cool, the screenplay is funny. Goon is an incredible and funny film.
  5. May 2, 2012
    Awesome movie. The highlight of this film has to be Seann William Scott's portrayal of the protagonist Doug Glatt. His character is so loveable, charming, and honorable that you can't help but root for him. The rest of the supporting cast is hilarious, especially Doug's foul-mouthed teammates. Of special note is Doug's rival, the aging enforcer Ross Rhea who plays his role like an oldAwesome movie. The highlight of this film has to be Seann William Scott's portrayal of the protagonist Doug Glatt. His character is so loveable, charming, and honorable that you can't help but root for him. The rest of the supporting cast is hilarious, especially Doug's foul-mouthed teammates. Of special note is Doug's rival, the aging enforcer Ross Rhea who plays his role like an old western gunslinger. Their final showdown is so freaking epic, it had me cheering. I don't even like watching hockey and I still loved this movie. See it! Expand
  6. Jun 10, 2012
    In one scene, the educated parents of the protagonist express their disdain for his "hobby" of hockey, especially his role of team thug. He could be a teacher, or something, they protest. The lead then reveals an important truth that all too many people deny: Some of us are stupid, and that is not going to change, but that's okay. And some of us have other talents like physical courage,In one scene, the educated parents of the protagonist express their disdain for his "hobby" of hockey, especially his role of team thug. He could be a teacher, or something, they protest. The lead then reveals an important truth that all too many people deny: Some of us are stupid, and that is not going to change, but that's okay. And some of us have other talents like physical courage, and that can be valuable too. Expand
  7. Apr 22, 2013
    A very funny movie that's crude, vulgar, and violent but has a huge heart. They did an excellent job with the casting, Seann William Scott is flawless as the main character and the supporting cast does an outstanding job. Despite all the blood and f-bombs there's a sweet side to this movie that makes it all worth while. So if your a hockey fan or just like a good comedy this is a must watch.
  8. Jun 12, 2015
    I love this movie. Comedic gold. They did well stretching out the story for what it was... a true story... but obviously not all completely true... but I just god damn loved this movie lol. I don't have much else to say. Funny, romantic, drama filled.
  9. Aug 14, 2012
    The films success comes from the attachment and likeability of Doug Glatt. Those going into the film expecting a couple of cheap laughs may be surprised. Although the film has it's share of slapstick humour it also delivers well written dialogue and even a little suspense. Doug Glatt may not have to much of a brain but this film sure does. I haven't had this much fun in this type of movieThe films success comes from the attachment and likeability of Doug Glatt. Those going into the film expecting a couple of cheap laughs may be surprised. Although the film has it's share of slapstick humour it also delivers well written dialogue and even a little suspense. Doug Glatt may not have to much of a brain but this film sure does. I haven't had this much fun in this type of movie since kick ass. Expand
  10. Feb 20, 2013
    Seann William Scott plays a former bar security guard who is enlisted to join a minor league hockey team as someone to beat the living hell out of other opposing team fighters, a 'goon' as the title would state. Definitely something to check out if you have free time. A great sports comedy that isn't a 'Slap Shot', but instead a one-of-a-kind.
  11. Dec 5, 2012
    Why hadn't I heard of this film before? I absolutely loved it. A perfect sports-comedy full of violence, language, raunch, blood, and heart, the film's most important and resonant feature. The characters are great. I loved the cast; Seann Willian Scott is better than ever. Good script by Jay Baruchel. The surprise comedy of the year for me!
  12. Mar 12, 2014
    Lots of comedy added with brutal hockey violence turned out to be way better than I expected. I may not be the only one. It was a riot. A big, fat, hilarious, violent, sporty comedy for any fan of sports, even those that are not fans of sports are sure to find the humor Goon carries right in front of itself.
  13. Dec 20, 2014
    I have to admit it i'm a big fan of hockey and this movie is just perfect.He's funny but sometimes serious and when they show the games it's always great.When Seann William Scott is in a fight it's just so prefect.Amazing movie.
  14. Aug 4, 2014
    This is one of the smartest, funniest sports films I've seen in a very long time. Its not perfect, but for what it is, and for how little it cost to make, it is pretty close.
  15. Nov 22, 2014
    Goon is a solid sports comedy movie, one of the best that's out there. Its always nice to see Sean W. Scott in a significant role. I think he is a bit underrated considering he was great in the American Pie series and Role Models. Jay Baruchel also begins to show some talent from behind the camera much like his friend Seth Rogen. He is also hilarious in the supporting role.

1. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    May 25, 2012
    When a film's clich├ęs are so obvious that its cast points them out for you, you've got to wonder how hard it's really trying.
  2. Reviewed by: Shawn Levy
    Apr 26, 2012
    Goon is a hoot.
  3. Reviewed by: Marc Savlov
    Apr 25, 2012
    Put on your best Southie accent and say it with me: This film is wicked fahwkin' retahded and I loved it.