5.3

1. LearnFrenchWithGilbertMulroneycakes
    May 9, 2004
    Lots of dumb. Lots and lots and lots and lots of dumb. And on that level, lots and lots and lots and lots of fun as well. It's not very "good" in the classical sense, but you can't review a film in any terms but its own, and on the level it's shooting for - the juxtaposition of lots o'dumb and lots o'fun - it pretty much hits the target. Not the sort of thing that Lots of dumb. Lots and lots and lots and lots of dumb. And on that level, lots and lots and lots and lots of fun as well. It's not very "good" in the classical sense, but you can't review a film in any terms but its own, and on the level it's shooting for - the juxtaposition of lots o'dumb and lots o'fun - it pretty much hits the target. Not the sort of thing that should have Halle Berry, Penelope Cruz and Downey in it, though. Not the kind of movie you'd pay the price of cinema tickets to see, either. One to rent (but not from Blockbuster), ideally on a dark and stormy night, in a darkened room with a truckload of popcorn and your girlboy next to you - because there's even a little bit of the Bruised Forearm factor going on here, and that's never a bad thing. Expand
  2. ChadS.
    Nov 25, 2003
    If the ghost can throttle Berry around in her cell, why does she need a warm body to inhabit when it's time to play executioner?Nitpicking, yes, but a succsessful chiller like "The Sixth Sense" doesn't leave you with questions like that. Having seen a truly heinous horror entry like "The Order" earlier this year, makes me thankful for "Gothika's" ability to keep me awake If the ghost can throttle Berry around in her cell, why does she need a warm body to inhabit when it's time to play executioner?Nitpicking, yes, but a succsessful chiller like "The Sixth Sense" doesn't leave you with questions like that. Having seen a truly heinous horror entry like "The Order" earlier this year, makes me thankful for "Gothika's" ability to keep me awake with the occasional jolt...and accidental humor. The ghost could've wrote "**** did it" on the wall instead of the more cryptic "Not alone," but the filmmaker isn't completely inept. How the killer is revealed is well-done, and although Berry could've been more understated in some scenes, she makes a plausible psychiatrist and gives "Gothika" some class. Of note, this is the second good English-language performance("Masked and Anonymous" is the other) from Penelope Cruz. Expand
  3. JonathanH.
    Apr 2, 2004
    Absolute Crap. Why did Halle do this, everything about this movie is awful, it's not even remotely scary.
  4. KatieP.
    Nov 22, 2003
    A pretty good movie. It is not as good as some other horrors, but it is better than I expected.
  5. MichaelC.
    Apr 14, 2004
    I really expected to hate this move, but walked away semi-surprised. It's really not as bad as people are making it out to be. It definitely isn't groundbreaking, and is pretty predictable. Nothing about this movie is awful, but nothing about it is all that good, either. I really don't recommend it unless you're aching for a new thriller flick (and I mean aching).
  6. KenG.
    Apr 2, 2004
    Although it's improbable and has plot holes big enough for Charles Dutton to fit through, this stylish thriller is worth a watch for genuine scares and chills, and a believable jacked-up performance from Halle Berry.
  7. DonG.
    May 15, 2004
    Halle was very good in this very poor flick , it had potential but somebody screwed-up? Not scary, way TOO dark, could have used some sunlight & classic dialogue possibly... please don't make a "re-make" of this film in the future unless you direct it correctly & use Jack Nicholson in the movie !!
  8. C.
    Jan 30, 2005
    In my opinion Gothika was an extremely intense movie, and this made it very enjoyable the plot kept strong the whole way through and a massive twist at the end top of an almost perfect movie.
  9. RandyM.
    Jul 20, 2006
    Gothika was overall an average movie, but it proved to have some very terrifying moments witch will make your heart beat like you would not believe. It's that scary.
  10. Lane
    Nov 28, 2003
    Give me Swept Away with the material girl any day. This movie is so BAD that it makes her movie look like it should have won the OSCAR for best picture. Up until now SWEPT AWAY was the worst film ever made. Move over, we now have a new leader of garbage.
  11. KatiethePattersonerQ.
    Nov 29, 2003
    A decent movie. Had some good parts.
  12. AshleyL.
    Nov 30, 2003
    It was great!!
  13. MattM.
    Dec 3, 2003
    "Gothika" is a stylish, creepy, but rarely scary psychologically thriller that had almost too much potential from the beginning. The film is works effectively enough for the first suspenseful hour or so, but ultimately buckles under its own ludicrous developments and the especially dissatisfying conclusion. Academy Award winner Halle Berry proves she can carry a mainstream film as the "Gothika" is a stylish, creepy, but rarely scary psychologically thriller that had almost too much potential from the beginning. The film is works effectively enough for the first suspenseful hour or so, but ultimately buckles under its own ludicrous developments and the especially dissatisfying conclusion. Academy Award winner Halle Berry proves she can carry a mainstream film as the leading lady, but it's the supporting performances from Robert Downey Jr. and Penelope Cruz - the latter especially - that truly impress. Mathieu Kassovitz proves he's more than capable as a director, but perhaps his skills would be put to better use in a less contrived film. Expand
  14. WAKOJAKO
    Dec 5, 2003
    Dumb, dumb, dumb. And the ending? Dumberer. Do not waste your money. What was I thinking? What was Hale Berry thinking? To see one of today's cinema's most lovely ladies deglamorized for this drivel was trully, truly depressing. Oh, well, a gall's got to pay the bills, I suppose...
  15. HeatherW.
    Jan 1, 2004
    Although I thought Halle Barry did a great job in the leading role, the movie seemed like your run of the mill thriller to me. I did however, enjoy the many visual effects in the movie.
  16. ZacharyM.
    Oct 23, 2004
    Terrible ending. Terrible beginning. Ludicrous story. I watched this completely alone...at night... in a pitch black room and not once was in suspense. Thats pretty pathetic.
  17. KelR.
    Feb 11, 2004
    Finally, the critics gave a movie exactly what it deserved.
  18. HuguesV.
    Mar 28, 2004
    Classic story but quite well done.
  19. TimW.
    Mar 29, 2004
    Dumb dumb dumb and soo predictable! Halle Berry needs a new agent!!
  20. GregT.
    Mar 30, 2004
    This was a fairly decent suspense movie if you are into that genre. Ms. Berry must be into it as well, as she appeared bare bones in this movie, sans make-up and looked as haggard and screwed up as the character she portrayed would be, if this was real life. She is not a bad dramatic actress. The holes in the plot are obvious, as one would wonder how a woman who is a psychiatrist would This was a fairly decent suspense movie if you are into that genre. Ms. Berry must be into it as well, as she appeared bare bones in this movie, sans make-up and looked as haggard and screwed up as the character she portrayed would be, if this was real life. She is not a bad dramatic actress. The holes in the plot are obvious, as one would wonder how a woman who is a psychiatrist would not have an inkling that her husband was.... (but that would be a spoiler). Expand
  21. SaerA.
    Apr 18, 2004
    This is one of scariest movies ever! I have never seen such a scary movie like the way Gothika is!
  22. RitaP.
    Feb 15, 2006
    Not bad as a horror movie/ supernatural thriller but not a film you would watch again.
  23. NedM.
    Nov 18, 2003
    The best part of this film was halle berry. she brings a gritty depth to her role and shows how great her acting chops really.
  24. Stinkylulu
    Nov 21, 2003
    A total hoot! really fun -- it's got it all: spirit possession, women in prison, oscar winner/s, serial killer/s, ominous use of water effect/s! a couple real startling moments, some enduring creepy features, but overall it's just full-on fun...
  25. AnitaBath
    Nov 22, 2003
    This movie sucked!!!!!!
  26. A.S.
    Nov 23, 2003
    Let's just rip off the Sixth Sense, the Exorcist, Seven and maybe a little Silence of the Lambs and make it into the most unoriginal and bad made-for-tv movie? This seen it, done that comedy-fest of eye rolls of unfathomable premises, is the worst movie I've seen. The only thing horrifying is the horribly cheesy dialogue.
  27. TonyL.
    Nov 25, 2003
    Not even two hotties like Halle and Penelope could save this dreck. Not even worth a rental. I went to the matinee showing and still felt that I was ripped off!
  28. AndrejS
    Nov 27, 2003
    It had some interesting cinematography and visual forshadowing, but for a mystery, it is REALLY bad if you can figure out exactly what will happen 15 minutes into the movie. Avoid this one, it was predictable and boring.
  29. DeonT.
    Nov 29, 2003
    Pretty lame flick. At least Halle is still hot? Script and acting pretty bad.
  30. Ishii
    Dec 31, 2003
    I liked the cinematography in the movie. The flickering lights in the mental hospital was very creepy. The story wasn't super original and the ending let me down, so you should go see it only if you're really into thrillers.
    Nov 20, 2004
    Saer, what the hell are you talking about? there wasnt one scene in this horrible excuse for a horror film that scared me in the least. everything about it is detestable. its completely unbelievable, and it relies on gore and shocks instead of plot. why did they call it gothika anyway? there isnt one reference to that throughout the whole film. its sad to see that halle went from monsters Saer, what the hell are you talking about? there wasnt one scene in this horrible excuse for a horror film that scared me in the least. everything about it is detestable. its completely unbelievable, and it relies on gore and shocks instead of plot. why did they call it gothika anyway? there isnt one reference to that throughout the whole film. its sad to see that halle went from monsters ball to this. i guess people just cant make good horror movies anymore. Expand
  32. JamalJ.
    Jan 15, 2004
    Jamal digs Halle a lot. I gave her 1 point for the Hot Mama she is. But for the movie, bro, this really sucked. Hell, I could look at Halle all night.
  33. TylerC.
    Mar 22, 2004
    Say what you will about this movie. It was stylish and very creepy. It did not have an ending that you can see a mile away like Secret Window. It was much less predictable and much more of a thriller than the Johnny Depp snooze flick.
  34. JonC.
    Apr 13, 2004
    I went into this movie expecting a suspensful, intruiging look at how someone can devolve into a psychotic state. What I saw was a highly implausible and uninteresting ghost story populated with characters who always take the dumbest course of action available to them.
  35. BeauF.
    Nov 13, 2003
    Actually, much better than I thought it would be. There are many jump-out-of-your-seat moments. And surprisingly, Penelope Cruz does a serviceable job in her supporting role. I don't usually mention it, but the sound is great in this film.
  36. pMO
    Nov 21, 2003
    It had a decent story and it had a good thrill factor. I didn't understand why the ghost was so violent toward miranda, but it's irrelevent to rate a movie on what you understand or don't understand, but the ending was one big loop hole won't give it away see if you can figure it out...
  37. KCai
    Nov 24, 2003
    Really good movie. I saw it today for the second time and I saw and understood far more than I did the first time, maybe it was the fact that I was expecting all of the scares and payed more attention to the plot this time around.
  38. MarshaT.
    Dec 31, 2003
    Besides just plain having a plot with more holes than a watering can, this movie had its fair share of flaws. First of all, the lighting was ridiculous. I've heard of mood lighting before, but the nonstop flickering lights were just too much. Second, I don't know what Halle Berry and Penelope Cruz were thinking, but a cheesy thriller will always be a cheesy thriller, no mater Besides just plain having a plot with more holes than a watering can, this movie had its fair share of flaws. First of all, the lighting was ridiculous. I've heard of mood lighting before, but the nonstop flickering lights were just too much. Second, I don't know what Halle Berry and Penelope Cruz were thinking, but a cheesy thriller will always be a cheesy thriller, no mater what kind of star power you assign to it. Even a good actor can't make a terrible movie watchable. Expand
  39. Aug 11, 2011
    The first half of "Gothika" is great. John Ottmin's soundtrack combined with Matthew Libatique's cinematography and Kassovitz's direction helped create very creepy atmospheric tension. Although some may find her constant screaming excessive, Halle Berry's acting was great throughout the whole movie. There were a lot of scenes that tried to jump scare you, but none of them worked. There isThe first half of "Gothika" is great. John Ottmin's soundtrack combined with Matthew Libatique's cinematography and Kassovitz's direction helped create very creepy atmospheric tension. Although some may find her constant screaming excessive, Halle Berry's acting was great throughout the whole movie. There were a lot of scenes that tried to jump scare you, but none of them worked. There is no gore (with the exception of several cuts on arms, and blood writing on walls), so the movie relies on creepiness alone, and most of that is gone by the third act. There is a contrived plot twist near the end, and another very obvious (yet still ridiculous) one. There are loads of plot holes in "Gothika", and a rushed and unsatisfying conclusion. However, before the third act, I nevertheless had good time. Expand
  40. Aug 27, 2011
    I'm not that into Horror flicks, but I think that this one is pretty decent. The script was a little bit weak and the talented cast was wasted on a so-so cliche plot. But, it was entertaining. This is a rare occasion when I disagree with the critics, but yes, I've enjoyed Gothika.
  41. Nov 17, 2012
    If you are able to identify with Halle Berry's character and truly feel everything she feels, then this film plays on your emotions with an exhilaratingly force. If not, the film will seem scattershot and its mistakes will be all the more obvious. It all depends on perception.
  42. Nov 9, 2012
    This a super intense and heavy film, with good actors and good playing.
    Of course there are some issues that are questionable, but overall the film is very good.
  43. Dec 30, 2014
    This is a horrible horror film, as it is not scary, dull and boring. This is extremely bad, as it fails to deliver suspense and does not make you feel interested in this film. Overall, this is a bad movie.

1. Reviewed by: Peter Hartlaub
    Tolerable for undiscriminating horror fans but should be shunned by everybody else.
    The best they were able to manage, apparently, was a grabbag of spectral sights and spooky touches grabbed from better horror films and a final act that raises more questions than it answers.
  3. Reviewed by: Laine Ewen
    Gothika deserves credit for embracing the ghost story genre so whole-heartedly, but as any ten-year-old girl can tell you, there's nothing original here to see.