Pathfinder Pictures | Release Date: July 30, 2004
7.9
Generally favorable reviews based on 13 Ratings
WATCH NOW
NeoHunterAug 9, 2004
Miike goes Lynch...Loved it!
AndrewS.Nov 10, 2006
Another Miike masterpiece.
VinceH.Jul 31, 2004
Miike fans will not be dissapointed. This film is much more lucid & complex than a lot of his other fans, but people looking for another Miike yakuza/gore extravaganza wil like it, just don't expect "Ichi the Killer".
Andys_ReviewsAug 24, 2013
To say this film is bizarre is to put it extremely mildly; in places, it’s down-right bonkers! However, I did find it strangely compelling, if a little difficult to follow here and there. I’m usually pretty good at following foreign languageTo say this film is bizarre is to put it extremely mildly; in places, it’s down-right bonkers! However, I did find it strangely compelling, if a little difficult to follow here and there. I’m usually pretty good at following foreign language films; even those with subtitles, but this one just lost me a couple of times. At times it was very violent and it could be also very comic; touching drama and even horrific; it seems to touch many genres. There were some excellent special effects; all practical effects as far as I could see; and some of these were truly stunning (particularly one near the end). Over all though, I did find it a tad over long and a little frustrating to follow (too many metaphors, maybe?). Even so, I will deem it ‘recommended’ for its’ innovative effects and some compelling (if confusing) story telling.

SteelMonster’s verdict: RECOMMENDED