tbd

No user score yet- Awaiting 2 more ratings

1. Dec 26, 2013
    Sometimes people go into movies expecting too much. In the case of the Irish film Grabbers, I get the sense that this was a reality given the wide array of review scores you can find online. I will preface this review by simply stating that, indeed, this is not a perfect film; nor is it exactly getting in line to win some prestigious award. And from what I can gather, that was not theSometimes people go into movies expecting too much. In the case of the Irish film Grabbers, I get the sense that this was a reality given the wide array of review scores you can find online. I will preface this review by simply stating that, indeed, this is not a perfect film; nor is it exactly getting in line to win some prestigious award. And from what I can gather, that was not the intention. At it's core, this is a fun film. In the early portions, it moves at the sleek pace of a psychological thriller as the "grabbers" (err...tentacled aliens) descend on the Earth and start to threaten a virtually unknown and ignored island with a small group of people inhabiting it. These early portions are fairly gripping in and of themselves. Chalk that up to some great acting. I was excited to check this out primarily to see Richard Coyle, who I've enjoyed for quite some time since binge watching the adult oriented British sitcom Coupling. Grabbers showcases a wider range of acting ability for this actor. Surprisingly there is some real tension, and the entire cast does a good job of holding their own and creating a sometimes tense, sometimes comical film.

Read more on Hear the Indie: http://heartheindie.com/film-reviews/2013/12/10/jon-wright-grabbers

1. Reviewed by: Ben Kenigsberg
    Jul 19, 2013
    The two leads are appealing, and the pace is brisk, but the movie never aspires to be more than a cookie-cutter creature feature — the kind of film that can be washed back with a pint and then forgotten in the morning.
  2. Reviewed by: Jessica Kiang
    Jul 18, 2013
    There are occasional laugh-out-loud moments, for sure, and the winningness of the leads makes the inevitable climactic clinch actually rather affecting, but Grabbers could have been so much more than the derivative me-too it turns out to be.
  3. Reviewed by: Noel Murray
    Jul 17, 2013
    Compared to other, similar offbeat monster movies, Grabbers is under-realized. It isn’t as smartly plotted or funny as Tremors, nor as politically charged as The Host.