Gran Torino

7.8

1. TerryC
    Jul 4, 2009
    A lot of potential, spoiled by reprehensible acting from everyone except Clint. I was laughing in parts where I really shouldn't have been laughing. But still enjoyable enough to earn a slightly passing grade.
  2. Vinay
    Jul 26, 2009
    Decent performance from Eastwood but really nothing new at all in the gangster / redemption / retribution themes the movie throws up.
  3. WB
    Feb 24, 2009
    Just echoing the sentiments of some other voters: poor acting by the young cast members; unbelievably fast bonding between ardent racist Walt and his Hmong neighbors; cliched situations used to create conflict; blatant exposition at times (such as when Walt talks to himself in the mirror about how much he has in common with the Hmong--he may as well just turned to the camera and spoke the Just echoing the sentiments of some other voters: poor acting by the young cast members; unbelievably fast bonding between ardent racist Walt and his Hmong neighbors; cliched situations used to create conflict; blatant exposition at times (such as when Walt talks to himself in the mirror about how much he has in common with the Hmong--he may as well just turned to the camera and spoke the line to the audience). And his singing at the end seals this raw deal. Don't believe the hype, as they say. It's just average at best. Expand
  4. arbie
    Jan 22, 2009
    It's Eastwood direction, but it's no Eastwood film that I want to own, or even recommend. The Hmong theme is utterly replaceable with any struggling race in terms of gang violence and identity, and does very little to highlight Hmong cultural value -- in fact, one of the film's unintentional jokes is that it summarily dismisses the Hmong as "just more Asians", and even It's Eastwood direction, but it's no Eastwood film that I want to own, or even recommend. The Hmong theme is utterly replaceable with any struggling race in terms of gang violence and identity, and does very little to highlight Hmong cultural value -- in fact, one of the film's unintentional jokes is that it summarily dismisses the Hmong as "just more Asians", and even fails during its expositional scenes to convince anyone of more than what's already commonly known: the Hmong fought with us more than 30 years ago, and were supplanted to places like Wisconsin in following decades as refugees. So, anyone under 30 might walk away with some new superficial knowledge, but don't expect them to swallow the tired race theme -- political correctness and inverseness have BOTH been declared dead by succeeding generations. Audiences over 30 might laugh longer and harder at the endless racism, but what's the value there? And why has nobody attacked the appallingly poor acting in the younger actors? This would be summarily thrown out if it had been directed by anyone else -- even anyone known. Expand
  5. LanceR.
    Dec 31, 2008
    All I can say is Clint Eastwood is a legend but legends can make make mediocre movies too. Case in point, Gan Torino, only wish the reviewers had the guts to admit this, instead of acting like fanboys and praising everything Clint Eastwood does.
  6. CD
    Jan 15, 2009
    Wow, all these 10's?!? This movie was average at best. It was better than Eastwood's "Blood Work" movie but besides that i was not that good. The acting was terrible (yes, I know all the Hmong's were first-timers) and the story was boring. And I've heard from everyone that it had a bunch of laugh's in the film...The only time everyone laughed in the theatre was Wow, all these 10's?!? This movie was average at best. It was better than Eastwood's "Blood Work" movie but besides that i was not that good. The acting was terrible (yes, I know all the Hmong's were first-timers) and the story was boring. And I've heard from everyone that it had a bunch of laugh's in the film...The only time everyone laughed in the theatre was when he dropped one of his 568 racial slurs in the film. Its just a movie full of the slurs; gooks, fish-heads, swamp-rats, japs, zipperheads...I can't even remember them all. I shook my head coming out of the theatre after seeing caucasians already laughing and repeating those degrading slurs against Asians. ...I was going to give it a 0, to try and even it up but a 5 is what it deserves. Erase all the slurs and it still is only a 5. Overhyped!! Expand
  7. jimN
    Feb 17, 2009
    Not nearly as good as all the hype. Forced dialogue, bad acting, contrived writing
  8. TimW
    Jan 13, 2009
    The two Asian siblings' acting is a joke. Paris Hilton could probably out-act them. They make the movie very hard to watch.
  9. Domo
    Jan 18, 2009
    Clint is playing the John Wayne card by doing his Dirty Harry routine. It's tedious to a degree yet nonetheless entertaining if you let go of any expectation of artistry he shows in his non-starring vehicles. He's a great director but his acting is really stiff.
  10. Apr 13, 2011
    Clint starts off in fine acerbic form as Walt, a malcontented Korean War vet with neighbour problems, but regrettably the film rapidly descends into homily, cliche and downright implausibility. Gasp as Walt discovers his softer side! Chuckle at the chutzpah of the young girl confronting three would-be rapists with wisecracks and her irascible neighbour with cheeky repartee! Marvel as theClint starts off in fine acerbic form as Walt, a malcontented Korean War vet with neighbour problems, but regrettably the film rapidly descends into homily, cliche and downright implausibility. Gasp as Walt discovers his softer side! Chuckle at the chutzpah of the young girl confronting three would-be rapists with wisecracks and her irascible neighbour with cheeky repartee! Marvel as the impossibly baby-faced priest becomes Walt's confidante in a last minute schmaltzy reconciliation between Walt and his long-lost faith!

Extra half a star for "Click Clack, Ding Dong and Charlie Chan", though. Funny when he was being mean, saccharine when he wasn't, and impossible to reconcile the two.
  11. Jul 18, 2013
    Gran Torino is a decent film for watching if you're bored, but if you're expecting something completely immersive and gripping, you will be disappointed. There's no action or significant events really, and the entire plot can be summarised in about 20 seconds. There aren't any unnecessary parts in the film which are unrelated or pointless, but character development isn't as good as itGran Torino is a decent film for watching if you're bored, but if you're expecting something completely immersive and gripping, you will be disappointed. There's no action or significant events really, and the entire plot can be summarised in about 20 seconds. There aren't any unnecessary parts in the film which are unrelated or pointless, but character development isn't as good as it could be and overall the film is a bit too long and thin on content. The whole film takes place within a few meters, as just bout the entire film is all in one house and a street. The problem with Gran Torino is that there's no real emotion during the film. No excitement. The entire film is quite bland; although it does manage to keep you watching it all the way through. Its only redeeming feature is the occasional comical scenes. Expand
  12. BecquerM
    Feb 15, 2009
    "Gran Torino" is a near-miss for Clint Eastwood: by far his best film of the year, but far from "Letters from Iwo Jima" or "Million Dollar Baby," which not only are more realistic than this surreal and borderline stereotypical representation of race-relations and family-ties, but also pact a more profound umph - that feeling you get when you've actually learned something - than what "Gran Torino" is a near-miss for Clint Eastwood: by far his best film of the year, but far from "Letters from Iwo Jima" or "Million Dollar Baby," which not only are more realistic than this surreal and borderline stereotypical representation of race-relations and family-ties, but also pact a more profound umph - that feeling you get when you've actually learned something - than what is ever revealed of Walt. Expand
  13. McKinleyT
    Jun 25, 2009
    This movie had so much potential; a great storyline, excellent plot development and a dramatic and touching ending. However all of this could not make me overlook the absolutely horrible acting in this film. Clint Eastwood might as well have played all the parts himself, Eddie Murphy-style.
  14. JoeR
    Jan 12, 2009
    Quite frankly, I think this film is highly overrated. Eastwood gives a fine performance. But it's another hum-drum tail of aging man who is mad at life miraculously developing an unlikely friendship with Joe Blow. Walt Kowalski goes from Ivan the terrible to Mother Theresa in a matter of days. How many times can you hear the work "gook" and "slope eye" before it just starts to grow Quite frankly, I think this film is highly overrated. Eastwood gives a fine performance. But it's another hum-drum tail of aging man who is mad at life miraculously developing an unlikely friendship with Joe Blow. Walt Kowalski goes from Ivan the terrible to Mother Theresa in a matter of days. How many times can you hear the work "gook" and "slope eye" before it just starts to grow old. Not a horrible film, but wait until you can watch it cheaper than $10.50. Expand
  15. GregM
    Jan 13, 2009
    I think critics are letting their albeit well-deserved love of Clint Eastwood cloud their opinions. The dialogue felt stiff and some of the acting left much to be desired. Eastwood is excellent and there are funny moments, but this is not in the same state, much less room, as Slumdog. And his familiar body posture -- that of the Jesus-like crucifixion -- at the very end is over-the-top I think critics are letting their albeit well-deserved love of Clint Eastwood cloud their opinions. The dialogue felt stiff and some of the acting left much to be desired. Eastwood is excellent and there are funny moments, but this is not in the same state, much less room, as Slumdog. And his familiar body posture -- that of the Jesus-like crucifixion -- at the very end is over-the-top ridiculous. Expand
  16. ZackM.
    Jan 13, 2009
    Well-wrought storytelling bogged down by wooden performances and an inflated sense of purpose.
  17. JeremyB
    Mar 15, 2009
    Take Clint Eastwood out of the picture and it crumbles on itself. But ultimately it's really just an update of the Karate Kid in reverse, with a little more violence.
  18. MartinS.
    Jan 11, 2009
    I found it sappy and unrealistic. Eastwood makes a great crumudgeon but the dialogue simply didn't ring true. Also Bee Vang (Thao) could use a few acting lessons. Audible laughter could be heard during his attempts anger and outrage.
  19. PaulT.
    Jan 12, 2009
    Very funny at times, very strange and over acted at others. Not Eastwood's best.
  20. LawrenceP.
    Jan 12, 2009
    A gruff but good-hearted member of the "great generation" lives next door to a plucky girl, her low self esteem brother, her comedic grandmother and invisible mother. Clint Eastwood has outdone himself - I thought "Heartbreak Ridge" had the maximum of two dimensional characters acting or speaking more time worn cliches - I was wrong. Actually there really weren't any characters only A gruff but good-hearted member of the "great generation" lives next door to a plucky girl, her low self esteem brother, her comedic grandmother and invisible mother. Clint Eastwood has outdone himself - I thought "Heartbreak Ridge" had the maximum of two dimensional characters acting or speaking more time worn cliches - I was wrong. Actually there really weren't any characters only broadly drawn caricatures. Expand
  21. DavidV
    Jan 14, 2009
    This is a good movie to watch from blockbuster or PPV, but I wouldn't pay for it at the theater. The story and the movie is solid, but the problem is that we see this time and time again. It is the same movie where you get the racist guy. Something happens in his life. He stops being racist. Then he does wonderful things for the people he once hated. Who didn't see that coming? This is a good movie to watch from blockbuster or PPV, but I wouldn't pay for it at the theater. The story and the movie is solid, but the problem is that we see this time and time again. It is the same movie where you get the racist guy. Something happens in his life. He stops being racist. Then he does wonderful things for the people he once hated. Who didn't see that coming? This is nothing new. Everything that people expected to happen, happens. We've seen this same thing repackaged year after year. This is how Crash got to be best picture. Expand
  22. LukeTheDuke
    Jan 14, 2009
    Should have been better. This was a weak plot, with weak writing and weak casting. What could have been a great film ended up only mediocre. Lots of continuity drift and unfocused story telling and editing. I expected more, especially from all the strong reviews. 8.5?? Hardly.
  23. LyleS
    Mar 15, 2009
    Besides Eastwood's own performance, the acting in the movie was pretty forced.
  24. Dec 17, 2010
    Ex-war veteran, wife dies, hates everyone & everything, Korean neighbours, son in with gang, son tries to steal war veteran's prize car, takes young Korean under his wing.
    Nicely played out but very predictable affair & with Clint as good as ever.
    It very much follows a formula with the master/pupil route & is quite heart warming but also very brutal along the way.
  25. Oct 22, 2010
    I get the impression that this would be Dirty Harry if he was older. Which is brilliant, because it's funny, simple, short and sweet. Great movie watching.
  26. Feb 24, 2012
    A 6 for being decently good. Eastwood lives up to his acting aswell, he still has it in him (Atleast that time).
    Story itself is slow at times, don't watch it for it's "action" as there hardly is any.
  27. Nov 24, 2013
    There comes a point when actors are too old to play even their signature roles. Unfortunately, Eastwood falls under the category, resulting in a somewhat cheesy and slow-moving plot line, yet satisfying ending.
  28. Feb 13, 2014
    I found Clints acting to be good but a lot of the supporting characters not so good. I liked the movie but I did feel it starting to get slow in the middle. The ending was great and genuinely made me sad. Not his best but far from his worst.

1. Eastwood has always had the gift for comedy in his acting repertoire, but he indulges in it only rarely. His fans might embrace this return to comedy.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Highlighted by the star's vastly entertaining performance, this funny, broad but ultimately serious-minded drama about an old-timer driven to put things right in his deteriorating neighborhood looks to be a big audience-pleaser.
  3. A movie at once understated and radical, deceptively unremarkable in presentation and ballsy in its earnestness. Don't let the star's overly familiar squint fool you: This is subtle, perceptive stuff.