8.2

1. JosephineB
    Jun 12, 2009
    Good message. Like how the aging Clint Eastwood's character develops and changers his out-moded perceptions about minorities. We're all human. Most of us are decent, hard-working, intelligent people while a few of us just plain old suck and do nothing but reflect badly on the human race.
  2. StuartW.
    Jun 24, 2009
    Clint Eastwood isn't getting any younger and maybe it's this reason why he has directd and starred in four films in two years. All of which have been excellent and have won numerous awards. I have to admit that i am a softy, in this film i was howling with laughter one moment and in tears the next. Surely this must be Eastwood's finest acting moment. It's intriging and Clint Eastwood isn't getting any younger and maybe it's this reason why he has directd and starred in four films in two years. All of which have been excellent and have won numerous awards. I have to admit that i am a softy, in this film i was howling with laughter one moment and in tears the next. Surely this must be Eastwood's finest acting moment. It's intriging and heartbraking at the same time. Eastwood acts a certain way and he does it very well and at times Dirty Harry rears his head. But the passion of his character shines through every minute he is on film. I wanted to tell people to ignore the Scandalous review of the baltimore sun. That reviewer deserves the immediate sack. Whether you are sentimental or not the film easily merits at least an 8. For me, it's one of the best films i've seen in years and i hope it goes down as a classic. Expand
  3. DouglasL.
    Dec 13, 2008
    Just Great... Clint's Best
  4. Jun 2, 2011
    An Eastwood Tour de Force! The best performance of his career, followed closely by Unforgiven. This film is completely driven by Eastwood's performance, but unfortunately the supporting cast is especially weak, even bad at times. However, with such a robust character like Walt, you can't help but love this film only for his contribution. Too bad he was completely and utterly overlooked byAn Eastwood Tour de Force! The best performance of his career, followed closely by Unforgiven. This film is completely driven by Eastwood's performance, but unfortunately the supporting cast is especially weak, even bad at times. However, with such a robust character like Walt, you can't help but love this film only for his contribution. Too bad he was completely and utterly overlooked by the Academy. Expand
  5. May 28, 2011
    I love this movie. It's direct, simple and old fashioned. I don't even want to waste time writing about "Oh I liked this and that and blah blah". Just watch the film.
  6. Jan 30, 2012
    One great street gang film. It's funny. It's sad. It got great character. Clint is such a fascinating actor and his role is one of the best I have seen.
  7. Jun 14, 2012
    Clint Eastwood's performance was very memorable here. With a great story and a fantastic moral that comes with it, its a tragic but very entertaining film.
  8. Apr 12, 2012
    Clint Eastwood's work on imaging Asian culture and overcoming racism is surprisingly amusing. Its also surprisingly captivating on entering and overcoming racism against Asians and their cultures. The dialogue was also very impressive between protagonists and antagonists. Honestly, this should have received Academy Award-nominations for best picture and best director; Clint Eastwood.
  9. Jan 17, 2013
    Gran Torino is a dramatic film of 2008 directed by Clint Eastwood. The plot is about Walt Kowalski, Polish veteran of the Vietnam War and retired worker in a car factory, who lives in a neighborhood inhabited by Eastern that he did not look kindly on. Especially his neighbors who have immigrated Hmong of Southeast Asia. But when a young group will begin to take it against them, Walt willGran Torino is a dramatic film of 2008 directed by Clint Eastwood. The plot is about Walt Kowalski, Polish veteran of the Vietnam War and retired worker in a car factory, who lives in a neighborhood inhabited by Eastern that he did not look kindly on. Especially his neighbors who have immigrated Hmong of Southeast Asia. But when a young group will begin to take it against them, Walt will have to come to their defense. The film manages to have a huge emotional impact on the viewer and also manages to make you laugh and cry at the same time. Fantastic interpretation of Clint Eastwood manages to make us know his character, grotesque but never overdo it. Expand
  10. Apr 7, 2012
    There is beauty in this movie, there is soul, and feeling. Clint Eastwood's performance is formidable! For those who argue that he is better as a director than an actor, I think here he proves that he can be great as both. I too, believe that this movie is a solid 9, and I am disappointed about the fact that many didn't grasp the message of this movie. It is not a presumptuos film; on theThere is beauty in this movie, there is soul, and feeling. Clint Eastwood's performance is formidable! For those who argue that he is better as a director than an actor, I think here he proves that he can be great as both. I too, believe that this movie is a solid 9, and I am disappointed about the fact that many didn't grasp the message of this movie. It is not a presumptuos film; on the opposite, it is simple, pleasurable, touching. It has character. It is not pompous; it is real, it is human, It is life. Expand
  11. Sep 30, 2012
    Critics got thsi film totally wrong. It was frecking amazin. Clint Eastwood gives an untouchable performance. This is one film that is definently worth watching.
  12. Mar 31, 2012
    Grand Torino is a wonderful movie. It is a film that speaks to the tensions humans face in the most significant way, and does so with such poise and audacity that the viewer can't help but adore.
  13. Mar 31, 2012
    A very good film, that evolves wonderfully with its story. It enticing to watch and is fearless in its script. Everybody was very good. I thought Clint should have won some kind of an award.
  14. Nov 17, 2012
    Eastwood's bracing and heart-wrenching human drama will get to you. The effect is overwhelming.
  15. Nov 21, 2012
    Has Clint Eastwood played similar characters before? Yes. But with such mesmerizing abilities as a director, and a powerful hand at story telling...who cares? Underrated film. Great.
  16. Dec 7, 2013
    Gran Torino is a movie you must see. The PC police will almost certainly lambaste it, attempt to dismiss it as clumsy and cry out in shock at Eastwood’s willingness to portray a man so filled with hate and intolerance. Spike Lee, after publicly calling out Clint for leaving black men out of Flags of our Fathers, may have an actual coronary. Hey Spike, this time he’s surrounded himself withGran Torino is a movie you must see. The PC police will almost certainly lambaste it, attempt to dismiss it as clumsy and cry out in shock at Eastwood’s willingness to portray a man so filled with hate and intolerance. Spike Lee, after publicly calling out Clint for leaving black men out of Flags of our Fathers, may have an actual coronary. Hey Spike, this time he’s surrounded himself with brown people and decided to scream ethnic slurs. Ignore the naysayers, they won’t be able to see past their own prejudices to what lies beneath. Gran Torino is smarter than it seems and it’s broader, funnier, and more straightforward than you’d expect. This is the Clint Eastwood we all remember in a perfect final performance. He’s riding off into the sunset scowling, snarling, and spitting blood. Expand
  17. chw
    Jul 20, 2014
    Gran Torino was such a great movie! Even though it's a Clint Eastwood directed film (meaning he usually directs the boring ones like J. Edgar and Jersey Boys), it should have been nominated Best Picture because it came out during the range of time Oscar nominated movies usually come out.
  18. Jun 15, 2014
    Gran Torino is my favourite movie of the year.Incredible acting, good story and good fight scenes.Clint Eastwood is absolutely brilliant in his role.I highly recommend it.
  19. Mar 11, 2015
    This movie is about coming of age. Clint Eastwood, despite his advanced age, doesn't know his grown children, and Tao is mired in the traditional practices of his heritage while growing up in the US. They unwittingly help each other to overcome their personal inadequacies, despite some challenging circumstances. After the death of his wife, Eastwood's character, Walt Kowalski is lost,This movie is about coming of age. Clint Eastwood, despite his advanced age, doesn't know his grown children, and Tao is mired in the traditional practices of his heritage while growing up in the US. They unwittingly help each other to overcome their personal inadequacies, despite some challenging circumstances. After the death of his wife, Eastwood's character, Walt Kowalski is lost, subsisting on beef jerky and Pabst beer. His pride and joy is a 1972 Ford Gran Turino. He is a capital B bigot, chaffing under the changing complexion of his neighbourhood. The constant use of racist names he calls his neighbours seems at times affected, but as the movie progresses, we are not as easily offended. In fact, we come to see these diatribes as Kowalski's true colours. In fact, there is humour in his rantings. Tao, a teenage neighbour, is being recruited by a local Hmong gang but fails the initiation, failing to steal the Gran Turino. Kowalski and Tao, together with Tao's sister Sue, become unlikely friends. The climax of the movie sees Kowalski morph into a Dirty Harry caricature, with bittersweet results. Expand
  20. May 23, 2015
    Something about this movie really clicked with me. I understand why some think it's average but I thouroughly enjoyed it. I thought the acting was good and the story was interesting and made me wonder what was going to happen next. It's about a racist old man who fought in the Korean war and has a Korean family living in the house next to his. He gets to know a Korean boy, though, andSomething about this movie really clicked with me. I understand why some think it's average but I thouroughly enjoyed it. I thought the acting was good and the story was interesting and made me wonder what was going to happen next. It's about a racist old man who fought in the Korean war and has a Korean family living in the house next to his. He gets to know a Korean boy, though, and theydevelop a grandfather/grandson relationship. The old man helps the boy as he struggles with the local gang. As dark as it is, I laughed numerous times throughout. I guess it can deliver on more than one front. Anyways, this is definitely a movie you should watch. I personally found it to be quite excellent. Expand

1. Eastwood has always had the gift for comedy in his acting repertoire, but he indulges in it only rarely. His fans might embrace this return to comedy.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Highlighted by the star's vastly entertaining performance, this funny, broad but ultimately serious-minded drama about an old-timer driven to put things right in his deteriorating neighborhood looks to be a big audience-pleaser.
  3. A movie at once understated and radical, deceptively unremarkable in presentation and ballsy in its earnestness. Don't let the star's overly familiar squint fool you: This is subtle, perceptive stuff.