Gran Torino

7.8

1. Sep 4, 2010
    This movie has one of the most interesting main characters I have seen in a very long time, and if it didn't have that it would have gotten a much lower score from me. Eastwood's performance is amazing.
  2. Jun 19, 2013
    One of his best movies yet.We need more movies like this its action and a few funny parts.As of always eastwood is a perfect actor he always gets the job done.
  3. Jan 8, 2011
    A film that speaks to the perceptual tensions humans face in the most significant of facets, and does so with such poise and audacity that the viewer can't help but adore. What compels "Gran Torino" to its bold of state is the lingering emotive responses we feel from Eastwood, who merely from a glance, tells the story of life through the aged, piercing eyes that burrows inside of you, andA film that speaks to the perceptual tensions humans face in the most significant of facets, and does so with such poise and audacity that the viewer can't help but adore. What compels "Gran Torino" to its bold of state is the lingering emotive responses we feel from Eastwood, who merely from a glance, tells the story of life through the aged, piercing eyes that burrows inside of you, and demands of your notice. Visually, "Gran Torino" may appear to be an "out-of-it's-prime," vintage piece of work, but the engine thrives and subdues its supposed insipidity to its previously prime state where its gritty demeanor flourishes. Expand
  4. MargaretS.
    Jun 20, 2009
    I loved Gran Torino...Clint Eastwood was superb in his "last" role...I cried at the end and found it very moving. I agree that the Priest did not do a good acting job. He was very mis-cast.
  5. RicardoC.
    Aug 25, 2009
    It's a shame that most of the people can't realize this is not about "gangster / redemption / retribution ", but well, like Lisa Schwarzbaum said: This is subtle, perceptive stuff.
  6. Ian
    Dec 29, 2008
    Unforgiven was a fabulous Eastwood film. Gran Torino is different but another of Clint's masterpieces. Poignant, funny, raw, emotional.. it has it all and so well.
  7. Aug 27, 2010
    It seems age has been a blessing for Clint Eastwood, giving him a marked perspective on life, which somehow seems to resonate with everyone (There is virtually no one I've talked to who hasn't liked the story in this movie). Combining that with his talent as both a director and lifelong actor, he gives us one of his most powerful works - what he capitulates in poignant subtlety (MysticIt seems age has been a blessing for Clint Eastwood, giving him a marked perspective on life, which somehow seems to resonate with everyone (There is virtually no one I've talked to who hasn't liked the story in this movie). Combining that with his talent as both a director and lifelong actor, he gives us one of his most powerful works - what he capitulates in poignant subtlety (Mystic River, Million Dollar Baby), he makes up for with dramatic bravado. Expand
  8. GeraldV.
    Jan 16, 2009
    Gran Torino may not be Eastwood's best but it sure ranks in the top 5. While watching the movie you may think the script is all contrived -- until the very ending.
  9. Ujn
    Feb 9, 2009
    This movie was the Bomb! Clint Eastwood knows how to act... no doubt. Don't miss this movie, it will most likely be the last you see staring the great. A+
  10. Apr 2, 2011
    A fantastic and surprisingly emotional tale of a bitter old war-veteran and his Korean neighbors. Very well acted and surprisingly down-to-earth. It's got too much language in it for my preference, but it doesn't effect any of the emotional merits of the film.
  11. Nov 24, 2011
    I thought it was a really good film. Eastwood has shown us all once again why he is still relivent in acting by giving a great performance that is a typical style that Eastwood has given us in the past.
  12. May 12, 2011
    dude. whoever the hell gave this movie a bad review must be the dumbest **** i have may ever know. this movie was perfect in every way. and pete, **** u!! u have no idea wut ur talking about. u should walk right up to clint eastwood and tell him what u just said,. and he will be sure to **** u up, u ****
  13. Sep 2, 2014
    Gran Torino is honestly one of the most touching movies I have ever seen. The best characters in any movie are those who lived long before the movie's setting, those are deep and fully experienced life. Clint Eastwood is great in this movie, he is honestly my favorite part of the movie and my favorite actor of all time. Despite, I can't give the movie a full rating because some of theGran Torino is honestly one of the most touching movies I have ever seen. The best characters in any movie are those who lived long before the movie's setting, those are deep and fully experienced life. Clint Eastwood is great in this movie, he is honestly my favorite part of the movie and my favorite actor of all time. Despite, I can't give the movie a full rating because some of the acting is off, especially Walt's friend and the some of the gang, they pulled me out of the moment which was unfortunate. Expand
  14. Filmlover
    Dec 18, 2008
    Solid comedy/drama, if a bit corny and stilted at times.
  15. Aug 22, 2010
    Gran Torino is maybe the best movie I have ever seen. It is full of everything to pleasure both genders. I watched at my father's apartment with my sister. We all had a great time with this awesome movie. 10 out of 10 is not enough, so I will cheat and say 12 out of 10 :P
  16. JettyN
    Jan 14, 2009
    This movie painted a perfect picture of how people are nowadays.It was a masterpiece, the slamming on foreign cars especially was great. Anyone giving this movie a low score probably did so because the movie made them realize they fit into one of the groups being heckled the whole time.
  17. Quackh.
    Jan 22, 2009
    A really good and heartfelt movie. Even though the acting may seem stiff, it felt real. Not that over dramatic type deal. If the movie was enough to make me tear up then yes what a great movie it is. People who've given bad reviews don't deserve to be critics. They don't even know what a good movie is, even if it smacks em right in the face.
  18. JohnS.
    Jan 2, 2009
    One of the best movies I have ever seen
  19. Your'reAllIdiots
    Jan 16, 2009
    For all the people trashing this film, you obviously can't see any of the moral of greater idea of this movie. It wasn't poorly written of directed, if you go looking for things to hate you'll find them. This was a great movie.
  20. BillO.
    Jan 17, 2009
    Can just say wow? I would;ve given this an 8 or nine, but it ticks me off that people give these movies 3's and 0's when they really don't deserve a score that low
  21. ChrisP.
    Jan 4, 2009
    Now that was just awesome.
  22. JasonM.
    Jan 5, 2009
    Greatest movie ever made.
  23. RichR.
    Jun 21, 2009
    Very interesting movie, and the end was a real shock to me. The only thing that keeps me from giving in a ten is Clint's portrayal of that mean old man: nobody is that mean and full of dieased, racist blather. He carries on that bit for way too long, and should have dropped it the minute the Hmong girl (the best character in the film, for me) got in his truck. And it's unlikely Very interesting movie, and the end was a real shock to me. The only thing that keeps me from giving in a ten is Clint's portrayal of that mean old man: nobody is that mean and full of dieased, racist blather. He carries on that bit for way too long, and should have dropped it the minute the Hmong girl (the best character in the film, for me) got in his truck. And it's unlikely that anyone would carry war atrocity guilt for so long. Otherwise, it was a fine film, and it was fun to see the Hmong families together. We really did mess up the lives of so many people over in SE Asia; the least we can do is show them some respect. Hey, I know, I know, this is just a movie, but you know what I mean. Expand
  24. JeffK.
    Dec 15, 2008
    This is one of the best movies I have seen in a long time.
  25. VickiF.
    Jan 22, 2009
    Excellent entertainment value. Timely theme, well-directed, humorous yet with some sober universal values -- kind of like President Obama's Inaugural speech.
  26. MH
    Feb 16, 2009
    Best Movie of the year. Awesome movie, with some of the best character development I have seen in some time.
  27. Eldon
    Jun 13, 2009
    The subtleties crafted in this film are profoundly complex and with out the ability to see them this will seem like a "waste of time". But with the proper amount of intelligence, chances are you may find yourself moved and challenged in the most sincere ways. When movies like this come around, I think they should be celebrated. And if not by the Academy, by those who matter... us.
  28. bobp
    Jan 19, 2009
    Naysayers be damned, great movie. The reality, as one poster pointed out, is that spoiled teens and their spoiled parent's would probably not appreciate the calling out that they receive in this movie, everyone else (who has a sense of humor) will love it.
  29. LanceA.
    Jan 8, 2009
    An amazing performance by Clint Eastwood, and it astounds me that even as old as he is, he can still make a 20 year old mucle-head piss his pants out of pure bad-assery.
  30. BobbyD.
    Jan 9, 2009
    They stopped makin' movies like this 'round 1977. deeply affecting.
  31. JimB.
    Mar 1, 2009
    A fantastically worked critique of modern American society. One of the best films i have seen in ages. Eastwood is typically brilliant as both actor and director. There is a reason he came back to acting this film is brilliant.
  32. ScottC.
    Mar 9, 2009
    Classic Eastwood...gritty portrayal of current urban existence.
  33. DH
    Jul 2, 2009
    Great performances. Great pace. Classic Eastwood ending, as always.
  34. MannyS.
    Jan 10, 2009
    This movie was one of the best yet in the last 3 years that I have seen. The thing of this movie that struck me as memorable is that so many people in the midwest are similar to Mr. Kowalski rough on the surface and so good hearted underneath. Anyone that wants to know what the midwest is about just watch this movie and it will give you a glimpse of reality. Thank you Clint for your This movie was one of the best yet in the last 3 years that I have seen. The thing of this movie that struck me as memorable is that so many people in the midwest are similar to Mr. Kowalski rough on the surface and so good hearted underneath. Anyone that wants to know what the midwest is about just watch this movie and it will give you a glimpse of reality. Thank you Clint for your incredible performance and direction. Expand
  35. MikeMike
    Jan 18, 2009
    Just about the time the joke gets old the movie shifts gears. Overall a respectable movie that deserves a look on the big screen. I was surprised. BTW, Clint gets a 4 for his song during the credits.
  36. fantasy
    Jan 23, 2009
    Clint's in a league of his own. If this was his last movie he went out with his boots on. Certainly deserving of all the praise it is getting. Perhaps Hollywood should take some lessons on acting and directing from Clint. Excellent.
  37. MoS.
    Jan 25, 2009
    Its only shortcoming was the irony of life and a shortage of good young actors.
  38. frankf
    Jan 28, 2009
    I expected this move to be a Dirty Harry retread. I certainly starts that way but becomes something else. There is too many racial slurs and exaggerated "man to man" swearing. This movie is far from perfect but Clint pulls it off. It good to see Detroit neighborhoods as they truly are. Poor and run down but people keep trying to live there.
  39. HenryFilms
    Jan 31, 2009
    This typical Clint Eastwood film exceeded my expectations of a horrible"shoot 'em up" movie. Some parts of the movie really made me want to meet Walt (Clint Eastwood). Over all this movie gets a firm 9/10 from me.
  40. JohnM
    Jan 30, 2009
    Excellent movie. While there is plenty of "offensive" language, the overall theme of the movie is an old man, set in his ways, who fought asians earlier in his life, and so was unhappy with them moving into his neighborhood. As the movie progresses, he not only lays down the law to one of the local gangs, brings many laughs to the audience (some so rapid that you miss a second or third Excellent movie. While there is plenty of "offensive" language, the overall theme of the movie is an old man, set in his ways, who fought asians earlier in his life, and so was unhappy with them moving into his neighborhood. As the movie progresses, he not only lays down the law to one of the local gangs, brings many laughs to the audience (some so rapid that you miss a second or third joke while still laughing at the first) and leaves you genuinely enjoying your time spent watching, but grows to have an understanding and appreciation for their culture. Unfortunately, the movie's namesake makes hardly an appearance, and doesn't play a significant role in the storyline. A shame, because (while not my favorite classic muscle car) it's a gorgeous machine that does indeed demand a bit of respect and appreciation. Very good movie. An excited 10 rating. Watched it twice so far, and will be buying the DVD as soon as it's out. Collapse
  41. NicholasK
    Feb 22, 2009
    Incredibly powerful, both humorous and moving at the same time. One of the best films I've seen in a long time.
  42. ChesterCheetah
    Feb 6, 2009
    Was very surprised because the trailer made it look like Deathwish or something. I wasn't ready for how funny it was. Then, the last third of the movie became sort of an urban western. Really great and understated film - 10 of 10!
  43. bobs.
    Feb 7, 2009
    Eastwood is cool. Movie made me cry.
  44. GregT.
    Feb 9, 2009
    Funny & Spiritual.
  45. JamesM
    Jun 14, 2009
    Absolutely amazing film. It's probably my favorite movie this year, if not of all time.
  46. JohnH.
    Jun 24, 2009
    Great Movie. I would give it a ten. Great action, plot, acting, etc. I would have nominated this movie for best picture. It is my third favorite film last year. My other two favorites were The Dark Knight and Slumdog Millionaire. The other two movies I would have nominated for Best Picture are Iron Man,and the Changeling, followed by Doubt. You have to see this movie. Whoever didn't Great Movie. I would give it a ten. Great action, plot, acting, etc. I would have nominated this movie for best picture. It is my third favorite film last year. My other two favorites were The Dark Knight and Slumdog Millionaire. The other two movies I would have nominated for Best Picture are Iron Man,and the Changeling, followed by Doubt. You have to see this movie. Whoever didn't like this movie, no affence, but flat out, is just an idiot or has very poor taste in movies! See this movie!!! Expand
  47. JayH.
    Jun 6, 2009
    Clint Eastwood's direction makes this film work. It is too overstated, but it's a film that you can't help but admire and like. Great performances all around, and it's well written and very moving.
  48. KellyM.
    Jul 23, 2009
    Surprisingly thoughtful and hopeful in cracking the fault lines between the races and what people fear they don't like or don't know. Cheers to Mr Eastwood for this great film
  49. Tom
    Aug 7, 2009
    The movie is one of the best films I've seen in years. This is plain and simply a masterpiece made out of a plot that a 10 year old could have written. And that, I have learned, is what separates the true moviemakers from the wannabes.
  50. TimH
    Sep 25, 2009
    This is definantly in my top 10 of favorite movies. You would think that it would be all about Walt, our hero, being a tough guy, but that isn't the case. While Clint does sport his usual hard outer shell, you also get to see his humerous side and, even more importantly, his soft side. Granted, at the beggining the movie doen't seem like much, the middle and ending is what putsThis is definantly in my top 10 of favorite movies. You would think that it would be all about Walt, our hero, being a tough guy, but that isn't the case. While Clint does sport his usual hard outer shell, you also get to see his humerous side and, even more importantly, his soft side. Granted, at the beggining the movie doen't seem like much, the middle and ending is what puts it over the top. The relationships Walt forms and how he deals with a gang troubled young teen is what makes this movie spectacular. The plot twists will have you questioning humanity. Yes it does have some good action but that isn't really the purpose of the movie. And for those of you wary of this movie because of racism, don't worry, Walt insults all the major ethnicities (Asians, Mexicans, Jews, Blacks, etc.) so no one is left out. He hates (almost) everyone equally. Expand
  51. JohnS.
    Mar 3, 2010
    One of the best movies I have ever seen
    Dec 12, 2008
    Gran Torino is the best film of the year and Eastwood's performance is one of the best of all times.He must win the oscar for best actor this year.
  53. DavidH
    Dec 27, 2008
    Very entertaining film, which is the reason I go to the movies. Great dialog, a lot of different emotions from humor to sadness. A subject a lot of people probably can relate to if they live in a large city. Eastwood continues to amaze with the quality of films he puts out.
  54. Roy
    Dec 29, 2008
    Clint Eastwood is excellent in portraying a character you really come to know well and care about.
  55. JamesP.
    Jan 11, 2009
    Best Movie of the Year! A must-see!! I thoroughly enjoyed this film. The racial humor makes you laugh throughout, and the characters have a good on screen rapport that draws you into the story. Very entertaining!
  56. KimL.
    Jan 11, 2009
    Suprisingly funny, mabey a bit cliched but I enjoyed it! It ends sadly and reminds me that this may be Clints last movie, a sad thing indeed.
  57. MaryN.
    Jan 11, 2009
    My boyfriend & I go see movies all the time. I am hard to please when it comes to movies...and this movie was one of the best movies I have seen in a long time. It has a great plot and well worth the time & money!
  58. BillC.
    Jan 10, 2009
    Great story. Clint still has what it takes. Perfect movie for a 78 year old Dirty Harry.
  59. MartinaA.
    Jan 10, 2009
    Wow...this film made it to my top 10 list of favorite movies, ever! Aside from a bit of bad acting here and there by the newcomers, I absolutely loved it! Gripping, touching and very emotional...a Do Not Miss movie!
  60. JeffJ.
    Jan 10, 2009
    I found this movie experience to be emotionally draining. No one but Clint Eastwood could have played his role as Kowalski. And it wasn't all tense and somber - there were lots of laogh out loud momemts, which made Kowalski even more endearing. Highly recommended!
  61. NathanK.
    Jan 12, 2009
    Such and wonderful and powerful movie. Funny and touching all at the same time. Clint gives one of the best performances I've seen in quite a while and he fits the character perfectly.
  62. jessD.
    Jan 14, 2009
    What a marvelous film. More than I could have ever expected. This film is almost perfect from where I sat. The only weak link is the non professional player performing the part of the troubled male teen if only because he was such an important part of the story. Everyone else in the film is dead on perfect including the salty and inspiring screenplay. A MUST SEE and a special treat What a marvelous film. More than I could have ever expected. This film is almost perfect from where I sat. The only weak link is the non professional player performing the part of the troubled male teen if only because he was such an important part of the story. Everyone else in the film is dead on perfect including the salty and inspiring screenplay. A MUST SEE and a special treat especially for older people. Expand
  63. DanaM.
    Jan 14, 2009
    I must admit I was hoping for a more believable movie. I thought a few times I was watching Carol O'connor and Archie Bunker. Clints character just wasn't believable with his over the top ethnic comments. Clint probably should have left the directing to someone else. An OK movie but could have been better.
  64. hopef
    Jan 14, 2009
    Powerful. well acted. great story.
  65. LukeS
    Jan 16, 2009
    I found this movie to be quite good, so I don't see what you haters are complaining about. The acting is cheesey at times by the other actors but Eastwood is still awsome. It has its twists and turns and the only thing I really didn't like was Clint Eastwood singing during the end credits (good try though). I still say that any movie fan should give this one a shot.
  66. TreenaL.
    Jan 16, 2009
    LOVED this movie! I think it's one of those movies that peoople will either love or hate - no in between. But I loved it! Clint Eastwood was classic.
  67. NickS
    Jan 17, 2009
    Everything a movie should be and more.
  68. BRizza
    Jan 17, 2009
    Saw it last night with my wife (both of us Asian btw) & we thoroughly enjoyed it. Action, comedy, drama, etc... This movie had it all & Eastwood shined as a retired "Gunny Highway"-like with a touch of "Bill Munny" retired Ford employee. If you're wondering why I quoted the fact that we are both Asian, yet we STILL enjoyed it, WATCH THE MOVIE. Awesome flick... Eastwood is the F'n MAN!
  69. terrin
    Jan 17, 2009
    This was a really good story...you can see how this happens in the neighborhood, and each neighborhood has its own character,like clint, who do not like change. as for his family...this is so true, kids nowhere to be found, neighbors turning into family...i really liked this story, found it totally believable, could see it happening to immigrants...thank god clint stood up....WE NEED MORE This was a really good story...you can see how this happens in the neighborhood, and each neighborhood has its own character,like clint, who do not like change. as for his family...this is so true, kids nowhere to be found, neighbors turning into family...i really liked this story, found it totally believable, could see it happening to immigrants...thank god clint stood up....WE NEED MORE CLINTS IN THIS WORLD. Expand
  70. steveh
    Jan 17, 2009
    The best movie I've seen in a long time. It was reality.
  71. HenryG.
    Jan 19, 2009
    I thought this movie was fantastic. Last year, when the Dark Knight came out, everybody loved, except for me. I feel about this move the way everybody else felt about the Dark Knight last year. The only bad thing about this movie was the ending kind of upset me.
  72. DaveCaldwell
    Jan 21, 2009
    A nice film, nice to see Clint still acting rather than just directing.
  73. MarkBayer
    Jan 22, 2009
    Forget CBS's ill-conceived TV spinoff Archie Bunker's Place; this movie REALLY delivers the scoop on how Archie endured the loss of his beloved Edith. Grizzled, beyond-curmudgeonly, and emotionally haunted Korean War vet and retiree Walt (don't call him Wally) Kowalski (Clint Eastwood) deals with his very recent widowerhood by increasing his Pabst Blue Ribbon Beer intake andForget CBS's ill-conceived TV spinoff Archie Bunker's Place; this movie REALLY delivers the scoop on how Archie endured the loss of his beloved Edith. Grizzled, beyond-curmudgeonly, and emotionally haunted Korean War vet and retiree Walt (don't call him Wally) Kowalski (Clint Eastwood) deals with his very recent widowerhood by increasing his Pabst Blue Ribbon Beer intake and growling (literally) far more often than his dog Daisy does. With characteristic spareness, efficiency and (mostly) unsentimentality, Eastwood as actor and director shows us how the Asian family next door (and those all down the block) help Walt to...well, if not quite warm up, then at least thaw out. When Thao, a sweet but fatherless and directionless kid is pressured into trying to steal Walt's beloved 1970s title vehicle as part of a gang initiation, Walt gets more involved than he would have normally chosen, learns that Tsingtao may be a tastier brew than Pabst, finds a family that's thicker than the one he's related to by blood, and expands the meaning of the sports and business cliche "taking one for the team". While Walt isn't shy in his use of racial/ethnic slurs (his output rivals that of Norman Wexler's screenplays for Joe, Mandingo and Drum combined!) the guy's impossible to dislike...he's not that far removed from Dirty Harry Callahan, who informed his Hispanic partner that of all the minorities he hated, he ESPECIALLY despised "spics"...but said so with the slightest of winks, and later treated his partner and wife with exceptional kindness when Chico was seriously injured on duty. But then, it's entirely fitting that this hugely entertaining, satisfying tale of a recluse's re-entry into the human race should feature Eastwood's ostensibly final on-screen appearance; while the performance is at times as broad and self-parodistic as John Wayne's Oscar-winning turn as Rooster Cogburn, it also represents the final steps in Eastwood's highly conscious and deliberate re-invention of his movie persona. Pauline Kael (never a fan, or even close) commented in the 1970s that Eastwood's success proved that you didn't have to be a nice guy to be a screen hero, and his early stardom proves it: The Man With No Name in his Leone Westernswas so exclusively self-centered and mercenary that only in the last of them, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, did he perform his only unselfish act (offering a dying soldier a smoke); in Coogan's Bluff he pushed some poor guy off his motorcycle and stole it; in The Eiger Sanction he remorselessly engineered the deaths of several innocents; in High Plains Drifter he commits rape and near-rape (had roofies been available in the Old West, he would've slipped Verna Bloom one), and the list goes on. Moviegoers and critics trace the beginning of Eastwood's turnaround with 1992's Unforgiven, which seriously examines and questions the violence that Eastwood seemingly perpetuated and stood for in his earlier films, but it went back seven years earlier with Pale Rider, in which Eastwood played a homiletic, Shane-like preacher (!!) who TURNS DOWN two sexual invitations. In Gran Torino's third act, Eastwood's Walt both considers the wisdom (or lack of it) of unrestrained revenge (as opposed to legitimate self-defense) and embraces truly generous behavior, which reflects flatteringly on the star and director; there's something genuinely touching about the sincerity with which Eastwood has been trying in the last half of his career to reinvent the image he created in the first. Then, too, Gran Torino is the perfect film for this time in our political and cultural history: it's been aptly described as "the first Barack Obama movie", and it speaks well for our country's newly-found inclusiveness that it comes to us from a Republican. Expand
  74. MarkB.
    Jan 22, 2009
    Another finely crafted Eastwood movie full of meaning where no scene is wasted.
  75. HamishA.
    Jan 24, 2009
    It's most definitely going to be one of the best movies of 2009. A very heartwarming movie.
  76. JC.
    Jan 25, 2009
    Am I the only one who thought this movie was completely jokes? like seriously, it was just clint eastwood saying really racist shit all the time. there were scenes where he simply growled and otherrs where he just listed racist terms for asians. one scene in particular struck me as completely ridiculous, the one where the black guys are talking shit to the asian girl and the white dude, Am I the only one who thought this movie was completely jokes? like seriously, it was just clint eastwood saying really racist shit all the time. there were scenes where he simply growled and otherrs where he just listed racist terms for asians. one scene in particular struck me as completely ridiculous, the one where the black guys are talking shit to the asian girl and the white dude, it has no importance to the storyline or advancement of the plot, he just needed to get every race in his rampage of racism. Expand
  77. SamuelW.
    Jan 26, 2009
    fitting that the clueless hollywood crowd snubbed this masterpiece about self sacrifice, redemption, what it means to be an American, family, aging, respect, and living a meaningful and good life, and fixing things for eternity.
  78. LindaH.
    Jan 28, 2009
    This movie was like visiting an old friend. Clint Eastwood was great; I wish he could get an Oscar. The Hmong characters were marvelous and moving. Although I guessed the ending before it came, it was the right ending and satisfying to the character development. If you ever loved any Eastwood movie you should go to this one.
  79. JillL.
    Jan 29, 2009
    Although the movie had it's flaws, it gave me a lot to think about. Imagine, a guy whom you think is a racist, really isn't (a guy whose actions speak louder than words). It speaks to the adversity and lack of freedom people face because of crime. This movie was charming, funny, suspenseful and smart all at the same time. No wonder Hollywood didn't give it any awards-- it Although the movie had it's flaws, it gave me a lot to think about. Imagine, a guy whom you think is a racist, really isn't (a guy whose actions speak louder than words). It speaks to the adversity and lack of freedom people face because of crime. This movie was charming, funny, suspenseful and smart all at the same time. No wonder Hollywood didn't give it any awards-- it had morality! It spoke of such un-Hollywood themes as the importance of toughness and learning to take care of yourself and others and how to think with your head and not your emotions. Would like to see this movie show in high schools with plenty of discussion time allowed. Expand
  80. DarylP.
    Jan 31, 2009
    Two words "Eastwood Delivers!". Put simply, they dont make superior movies like this anymore. All the bits about racism is a heap of crap. It is a part of the plot, a self-obstacle that the main character has to come to grips with. The whole point of the story is to show how the most hated character evolves into the hero! It shows how a man slowly overcomes his fears, and regrets instead Two words "Eastwood Delivers!". Put simply, they dont make superior movies like this anymore. All the bits about racism is a heap of crap. It is a part of the plot, a self-obstacle that the main character has to come to grips with. The whole point of the story is to show how the most hated character evolves into the hero! It shows how a man slowly overcomes his fears, and regrets instead of continually using them on others. This movie isn't about an old dog learning new tricks, its about an old dog trying to teach a newer generation an important lesson. This movie conserves a great deal of American values, that the current media and society have long since been trying to do away with. Id give it a higher ranking but 10 is all i have to work with. Clint eastwoods best by far. Expand
  81. AlS.
    Jan 4, 2009
    Funniest movie of the year by far, and that's not to take away from the quality of it, all in all a great film, Eastwood is perfect, between him and Ledger, best performances of the year
  82. Nick
    Feb 10, 2009
    This movie has some actual substance to it unlike a lot of modern films. It is funny, and moving at the same time, so all I have to say to the reviewer from the Baltimore Sun is that u wouldnt know a good movie any more than you know ur ass from a hole in the ground.
  83. davidl
    Feb 1, 2009
    Fantastic film, powerful and very moving. Incredible how it could have garnered no academy nominations. Just shows hows skewed the academy voting process is. This is one of the best films of the year.
  84. JasonDeatherage
    Feb 14, 2009
    I felt that this was a very powerful film. I was shocked that it was not nominated for best picture or even best actor. I hate the way that the Academy always misses the mark on films. I do not think that it would of won but it should of been nominated. I like the role that Eastwood played in the film. It was very well directed and the story was well told. All of the actors did a great I felt that this was a very powerful film. I was shocked that it was not nominated for best picture or even best actor. I hate the way that the Academy always misses the mark on films. I do not think that it would of won but it should of been nominated. I like the role that Eastwood played in the film. It was very well directed and the story was well told. All of the actors did a great job. I would recommend this to anyone. Expand
  85. RichardG
    Feb 2, 2009
    Good movie. It is fantastic in every way as it will you a good mark on your life.
  86. JayR
    Feb 26, 2009
    While it was a strong performance from Clint Eastwood as well as a solid direction, the movie just seemed to fall over time. When he begins the interact with his neighbors it starts out well but then leads into a cheeseball movie. The boy "toad" acted horribly and was very unconvincing as well as the rest of his family as well as the gangsters and the young preacher. But in entirety the While it was a strong performance from Clint Eastwood as well as a solid direction, the movie just seemed to fall over time. When he begins the interact with his neighbors it starts out well but then leads into a cheeseball movie. The boy "toad" acted horribly and was very unconvincing as well as the rest of his family as well as the gangsters and the young preacher. But in entirety the moral of the story is a strong and good one. If only it could have been played out better. Expand
  87. JohnU.
    Feb 8, 2009
    Terrific entertainment. Clint Eastwood deserved recognition from the Academy for this one.
  88. TerrenceM.
    Mar 28, 2009
    Very well realized and believable characters made this film's portray on er, gangster US enjoyable and not cringe worthy like many other film's pretentious 'dis be real' take on the urban underbelly. Clint Eastwood does a great job of getting across the tough guy persona even at his age of 82!
  89. JohnM.
    Mar 4, 2009
    This film packs the biggest emotional pay-off of the season. The ending is beautiful and deeply satisfying. So are the photography and music. The acting by the amateur cast seems out of kilter at first, but finally it all comes together and convinces.
  90. BradleyC.
    Mar 7, 2009
    I liked it, but it wasnt worth the hype. he has done a good movie. but the asian actors...AAAARG! thao totally cannot act. what were they thinking
  91. DanR
    May 1, 2009
    This is one of the best movies from 2008, a true masterpiece. I went in expecting a where eagles dear like movie but feel in love with this movie. 10 outa 10
  92. JonathanW
    May 16, 2009
    Brilliant. Dark and disturbing, but with hope and redemption to turn the tide... Nobody could have played this character like Clint.
  93. BojanaM
    Jun 14, 2009
    generally good movie. mr eastwood is basicly in his same mood as beforewith the same style. but hey, it's clint eastwood :) the story itself is very realistic but yet, poorly done- turn out too naive till the end when you acctually change your mind. I gve it an 8 only couse of the poorly built characters but still, it's a good movie and everyone should watch it.
  94. BM
    Jun 15, 2009
    Wow, what an impact this movie made. I'm from tehj area where it was filmed, so that made it even more enjoyable. Fantastic film and not one easily forgotten.
  95. ShaneS
    Jun 16, 2009
    This movie was really underated by the oscars, Clint Eastwood is at his best here make no mistake. He still, (as though it were a refined art), pulls off being a gritty, hardcore, don't-mess-around-with-me kind of a guy even though he's like in his eighties. This movie brings the persona, that is Clint Eastwood, to a whole new level, with some smart humor and a great supporting This movie was really underated by the oscars, Clint Eastwood is at his best here make no mistake. He still, (as though it were a refined art), pulls off being a gritty, hardcore, don't-mess-around-with-me kind of a guy even though he's like in his eighties. This movie brings the persona, that is Clint Eastwood, to a whole new level, with some smart humor and a great supporting cast. I highly recommend this film. Expand
  96. BrianT.
    Jun 21, 2009
    Not really sure how to rate this movie. clint eastwood was a ten, the plot/script was decent, but many members of the supporting cast were abysmal. bad enough to distract and ruin (?) the movie. i guess i would recommend the movie but only to enjoy clint eastwood - he really was that good.
  97. JohnT
    Jul 21, 2009
    I'm having a hard time deciding on how I feel about this movie. Eastwood did an incredible job on many fronts. But, as a lot of people have said, the supporting cast was very weak. Their acting was nearly cringe-worthy at times. I'm a huge stickler for bad acting/dialogue but this movie was strange for the very reason that I actually sat through the whole thing and thoroughly I'm having a hard time deciding on how I feel about this movie. Eastwood did an incredible job on many fronts. But, as a lot of people have said, the supporting cast was very weak. Their acting was nearly cringe-worthy at times. I'm a huge stickler for bad acting/dialogue but this movie was strange for the very reason that I actually sat through the whole thing and thoroughly enjoyed it despite all the awkward acting.. it was still, in many ways, very affecting and compelling... somehow. Expand
  98. PhilipF
    Jul 8, 2009
    I would be surprised if this is not Film of the Year. Superb story and acting with Eastwood getting better in old age, both as actor and director.
  99. JohnT.
    Dec 12, 2008
    Finally Eastwood has make his masterpiece, funny, gritty and loving
  100. ArnoldP.
    Dec 12, 2008
    A perfect old fashioned tale of morality told beautifully with wit and wisdom by Eastwood. Terrific dialogue, tugs at the funny bone and your heart. It is a story for America today and the changing face of this country. The Hmong cast is up to the task to match the great Eastwood performance. A must see.

1. Eastwood has always had the gift for comedy in his acting repertoire, but he indulges in it only rarely. His fans might embrace this return to comedy.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Highlighted by the star's vastly entertaining performance, this funny, broad but ultimately serious-minded drama about an old-timer driven to put things right in his deteriorating neighborhood looks to be a big audience-pleaser.
  3. A movie at once understated and radical, deceptively unremarkable in presentation and ballsy in its earnestness. Don't let the star's overly familiar squint fool you: This is subtle, perceptive stuff.