8.2

1. WB
    Feb 24, 2009
    Just echoing the sentiments of some other voters: poor acting by the young cast members; unbelievably fast bonding between ardent racist Walt and his Hmong neighbors; cliched situations used to create conflict; blatant exposition at times (such as when Walt talks to himself in the mirror about how much he has in common with the Hmong--he may as well just turned to the camera and spoke the Just echoing the sentiments of some other voters: poor acting by the young cast members; unbelievably fast bonding between ardent racist Walt and his Hmong neighbors; cliched situations used to create conflict; blatant exposition at times (such as when Walt talks to himself in the mirror about how much he has in common with the Hmong--he may as well just turned to the camera and spoke the line to the audience). And his singing at the end seals this raw deal. Don't believe the hype, as they say. It's just average at best. Expand
  2. DeanD.
    Dec 26, 2008
    Eastwood playing Eastwood......and not very well. His facial expressions limited to a scowl and and grrr. The supporting cast, ostensibly Hmong natives, would have made most high school theatricals look good. All the Hollywood tropes are dragged out: an embittered veteran lovable enough for neighbors and priests to seek his redemption, despite being constantly insulted by his racial and Eastwood playing Eastwood......and not very well. His facial expressions limited to a scowl and and grrr. The supporting cast, ostensibly Hmong natives, would have made most high school theatricals look good. All the Hollywood tropes are dragged out: an embittered veteran lovable enough for neighbors and priests to seek his redemption, despite being constantly insulted by his racial and religious slurs. The ending everyone expects in an Eastwood movie has a twist, which some may find moving but I thought was contrived and implausible. The best laughs came out of the racial slurs....the audience howled....which makes me wonder about us in this age of Obama. Expand
  3. arbie
    Jan 22, 2009
    It's Eastwood direction, but it's no Eastwood film that I want to own, or even recommend. The Hmong theme is utterly replaceable with any struggling race in terms of gang violence and identity, and does very little to highlight Hmong cultural value -- in fact, one of the film's unintentional jokes is that it summarily dismisses the Hmong as "just more Asians", and even It's Eastwood direction, but it's no Eastwood film that I want to own, or even recommend. The Hmong theme is utterly replaceable with any struggling race in terms of gang violence and identity, and does very little to highlight Hmong cultural value -- in fact, one of the film's unintentional jokes is that it summarily dismisses the Hmong as "just more Asians", and even fails during its expositional scenes to convince anyone of more than what's already commonly known: the Hmong fought with us more than 30 years ago, and were supplanted to places like Wisconsin in following decades as refugees. So, anyone under 30 might walk away with some new superficial knowledge, but don't expect them to swallow the tired race theme -- political correctness and inverseness have BOTH been declared dead by succeeding generations. Audiences over 30 might laugh longer and harder at the endless racism, but what's the value there? And why has nobody attacked the appallingly poor acting in the younger actors? This would be summarily thrown out if it had been directed by anyone else -- even anyone known. Expand
  4. LanceR.
    Dec 31, 2008
    All I can say is Clint Eastwood is a legend but legends can make make mediocre movies too. Case in point, Gan Torino, only wish the reviewers had the guts to admit this, instead of acting like fanboys and praising everything Clint Eastwood does.
  5. JenB
    Feb 15, 2009
    I simply cannot understand why this movie has garnered such favorable reviews from both critics and fans. It is one of the most ham-fisted pieces of dreck I've ever seen. Do you find it insulting to have the plot spoonfed to you? Would you rather watch actors act, rather than have the character development firehosed down your throat in the first 5 minutes? Did you feel manipulated I simply cannot understand why this movie has garnered such favorable reviews from both critics and fans. It is one of the most ham-fisted pieces of dreck I've ever seen. Do you find it insulting to have the plot spoonfed to you? Would you rather watch actors act, rather than have the character development firehosed down your throat in the first 5 minutes? Did you feel manipulated after you watched 'Million Dollar Baby'? You'll hate this one too. Someone needs to revoke Eastwood's lifetime pass. Expand
  6. Pete
    Mar 1, 2009
    Giving this movie a 1 was generous, but I thought they deserved a point for working out how to turn the camera on! The first movie I have ever walked out on; the lack of strength in plot, sceenplay, or acting was cringe-worthy at best.
  7. JesseM.
    Jan 2, 2009
    Contrived writing, poor acting and terribly paced. An overall disappointment. Eastwood has consistently been one of the most generous and rewarding directors in Hollywood for some time, but this trite is the sort of stuff that unfortunately stains a career. The only clever, endearing, and ultimately redeeming part of this film is its ending, but it can only pack so much punch. And any Contrived writing, poor acting and terribly paced. An overall disappointment. Eastwood has consistently been one of the most generous and rewarding directors in Hollywood for some time, but this trite is the sort of stuff that unfortunately stains a career. The only clever, endearing, and ultimately redeeming part of this film is its ending, but it can only pack so much punch. And any force it had was totally suffocated by the embarrassing exitlude sung by Eastwood himself. Expand
  8. DavidC
    Jan 5, 2009
    Give me a break, this movie stinks. Probably the most overrated movie I remember seeing in the theaters. What's the worst part about Gran Torino? The acting, story line, script, director, characters...take your pick.
  9. PaulS.
    Jan 1, 2009
    I just don't understand movies nowadays. The movie was terrible. The story line was horrible. The acting was a joke. This movie was horrendous.
  10. PhilA
    Apr 10, 2009
    All the previous comments by "3 or less" pretty much sum it up. I told my wife I wish I could have those 2 hours back. What a waste of time.
  11. JasonB.
    Jan 26, 2009
    Horrible!!! The acting was terrible, Eastwood was over the top, several times growling as if he was going to "hulk" out, the racial slurs really got old by the second half. The story felt like a hallmark tv movie.
  12. PatG.
    Dec 12, 2008
    We all love Clint, but he should have made a better choice to showcase his acting skills. This movie is the work of a first-time screenwriter, and it shows. It is often amateurish, cliched, and sentimental. I've seen better made-for-TV movies. Some good moments, yes, but overall it is a big disappointment. Clint--you can do better!!!
  13. Oct 17, 2010
    The acting was forced. The only natural sounding actor in the movie was Clint Eastwood. The message was ham-fisted and flat out handed to audiences at the end. The script was incredibly contrived.

Overall, I felt that movie suffered from an unfortunates messiah complex and was unintentionally racist. An white, angry, growling old man has to save everyone else because they can't take care of themselves.
  14. VanceB
    Jan 17, 2009
    The grand lesson of this movie is that the way to really defeat evil people is to allow them to kill you. Because maybe, just maybe, they might have to spend a few years in prison--boy that will teach 'em! This movie is the ultimate result of a culture that has become completely pacified and sissy-fied. It was a good movie up to the end. It made some valid commentary on our The grand lesson of this movie is that the way to really defeat evil people is to allow them to kill you. Because maybe, just maybe, they might have to spend a few years in prison--boy that will teach 'em! This movie is the ultimate result of a culture that has become completely pacified and sissy-fied. It was a good movie up to the end. It made some valid commentary on our over-offended society (friends throw ethnic insults at each other without getting offended--unthinkable!). I love Clint Eastwood as an actor, but he has completely sold out to this pacifist mentality--the best way to teach bad people a lesson is to let them hurt you. Collapse
  15. K
    Jan 5, 2009
    Highly disappointing. Slow and poorly written. Basically a sermon on "kids these days".
  16. BillyS.
    Jan 9, 2009
    Seriously? A Best Picture contender. You're kidding, right? Really. A Best Actor nomination for Clint. Come on, for Gran Torino? Where he plays that Archie Bunker guy who growls more than Learch and puts the fear of God in every ethnic gang in Detroit by his mere old white man presence, that Gran Torino? Seriously Clint, it's time to put Dirty Harry to bed. Oscar? Only if they Seriously? A Best Picture contender. You're kidding, right? Really. A Best Actor nomination for Clint. Come on, for Gran Torino? Where he plays that Archie Bunker guy who growls more than Learch and puts the fear of God in every ethnic gang in Detroit by his mere old white man presence, that Gran Torino? Seriously Clint, it's time to put Dirty Harry to bed. Oscar? Only if they award one for Best Achievement In Cliche! Expand
  17. Desmond
    Jan 16, 2009
    This plays like a MADTV parody of Clint Eastwood. Still gets a 2 because I enjoyed laughing at the poorly executed cliches.
  18. JimmyB.
    Jan 26, 2009
    Someone ought to file a lawsuit for plagiarism. The whole film was practically copied from Alan Smithee's collective works, the Ultimate Anthology of Prosthetic Plot Points. If you like your drama spoon fed to you with a predictability factor running off the scale and if you can stand Eastwood doing a poor grizzly imitation while impersonating a fossilized plank of wood throughout Someone ought to file a lawsuit for plagiarism. The whole film was practically copied from Alan Smithee's collective works, the Ultimate Anthology of Prosthetic Plot Points. If you like your drama spoon fed to you with a predictability factor running off the scale and if you can stand Eastwood doing a poor grizzly imitation while impersonating a fossilized plank of wood throughout the entire film, I guess this movie is for you. I guess the joke's on the fan boys again. Expand
  19. Nov 13, 2010
    Slow pacing, poor acting and an unbelievable script make this film bad enough, but the continued suggestion that casual racism is acceptable if the other person accepts it "good natured banter" beggars belief.
  20. Apr 13, 2011
    Clint starts off in fine acerbic form as Walt, a malcontented Korean War vet with neighbour problems, but regrettably the film rapidly descends into homily, cliche and downright implausibility. Gasp as Walt discovers his softer side! Chuckle at the chutzpah of the young girl confronting three would-be rapists with wisecracks and her irascible neighbour with cheeky repartee! Marvel as theClint starts off in fine acerbic form as Walt, a malcontented Korean War vet with neighbour problems, but regrettably the film rapidly descends into homily, cliche and downright implausibility. Gasp as Walt discovers his softer side! Chuckle at the chutzpah of the young girl confronting three would-be rapists with wisecracks and her irascible neighbour with cheeky repartee! Marvel as the impossibly baby-faced priest becomes Walt's confidante in a last minute schmaltzy reconciliation between Walt and his long-lost faith!

Extra half a star for "Click Clack, Ding Dong and Charlie Chan", though. Funny when he was being mean, saccharine when he wasn't, and impossible to reconcile the two.
  21. Jul 18, 2013
    Gran Torino is a decent film for watching if you're bored, but if you're expecting something completely immersive and gripping, you will be disappointed. There's no action or significant events really, and the entire plot can be summarised in about 20 seconds. There aren't any unnecessary parts in the film which are unrelated or pointless, but character development isn't as good as itGran Torino is a decent film for watching if you're bored, but if you're expecting something completely immersive and gripping, you will be disappointed. There's no action or significant events really, and the entire plot can be summarised in about 20 seconds. There aren't any unnecessary parts in the film which are unrelated or pointless, but character development isn't as good as it could be and overall the film is a bit too long and thin on content. The whole film takes place within a few meters, as just bout the entire film is all in one house and a street. The problem with Gran Torino is that there's no real emotion during the film. No excitement. The entire film is quite bland; although it does manage to keep you watching it all the way through. Its only redeeming feature is the occasional comical scenes. Expand
  22. Sep 28, 2011
    Well, this left me disappointed. The Hmong actors were **** terrible. Specially that Toad guy, him screaming to get out of the basement at the end was laughable. "Walt! Waaaaaaaalllllt!" Cmon, that was just the worst scene in the movie. And how the hell could a **** like him even have a driver's license to drive the Gran Torino? It was inexplicable.

It was strange, this film was trying to

It was strange, this film was trying to show us to be nicer to our neighbors and more accepting of foreign cultures... but then they go out of their way to show us that the Hmong are really weird and freaky. Like... no touching the tops of people's heads? An actual **** voodoo witch doctor? Cranky old woman spitting out a bunch of weird brown fluid? But hey, it's all good cause their food's really tasty, right? Right? Heh...

The padre was just annoying me throughout the entire film. Not badly acted, but his character just came off as a sanctimonious prick. Mission accomplished if that was what they were aiming for.

Clint was good as usual. But that ending... just didn't work for me. I know they were setting us up for a more traditional ending and then went for an unorthodox approach, but still... I wanted that traditional ending. Instead, they gave us Walt committing suicide, essentially. Very disappointing ending.
  23. LawrenceP.
    Jan 12, 2009
    A gruff but good-hearted member of the "great generation" lives next door to a plucky girl, her low self esteem brother, her comedic grandmother and invisible mother. Clint Eastwood has outdone himself - I thought "Heartbreak Ridge" had the maximum of two dimensional characters acting or speaking more time worn cliches - I was wrong. Actually there really weren't any characters only A gruff but good-hearted member of the "great generation" lives next door to a plucky girl, her low self esteem brother, her comedic grandmother and invisible mother. Clint Eastwood has outdone himself - I thought "Heartbreak Ridge" had the maximum of two dimensional characters acting or speaking more time worn cliches - I was wrong. Actually there really weren't any characters only broadly drawn caricatures. Expand

1. Eastwood has always had the gift for comedy in his acting repertoire, but he indulges in it only rarely. His fans might embrace this return to comedy.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Highlighted by the star's vastly entertaining performance, this funny, broad but ultimately serious-minded drama about an old-timer driven to put things right in his deteriorating neighborhood looks to be a big audience-pleaser.
  3. A movie at once understated and radical, deceptively unremarkable in presentation and ballsy in its earnestness. Don't let the star's overly familiar squint fool you: This is subtle, perceptive stuff.