Gran Torino

7.8

1. JettyN
    Jan 14, 2009
    This movie painted a perfect picture of how people are nowadays.It was a masterpiece, the slamming on foreign cars especially was great. Anyone giving this movie a low score probably did so because the movie made them realize they fit into one of the groups being heckled the whole time.
  2. LanceA.
    Jan 8, 2009
    An amazing performance by Clint Eastwood, and it astounds me that even as old as he is, he can still make a 20 year old mucle-head piss his pants out of pure bad-assery.
  3. BobbyD.
    Jan 9, 2009
    They stopped makin' movies like this 'round 1977. deeply affecting.
  4. Ujn
    Feb 9, 2009
    This movie was the Bomb! Clint Eastwood knows how to act... no doubt. Don't miss this movie, it will most likely be the last you see staring the great. A+
  5. JimB.
    Mar 1, 2009
    A fantastically worked critique of modern American society. One of the best films i have seen in ages. Eastwood is typically brilliant as both actor and director. There is a reason he came back to acting this film is brilliant.
  6. MannyS.
    Jan 10, 2009
    This movie was one of the best yet in the last 3 years that I have seen. The thing of this movie that struck me as memorable is that so many people in the midwest are similar to Mr. Kowalski rough on the surface and so good hearted underneath. Anyone that wants to know what the midwest is about just watch this movie and it will give you a glimpse of reality. Thank you Clint for your This movie was one of the best yet in the last 3 years that I have seen. The thing of this movie that struck me as memorable is that so many people in the midwest are similar to Mr. Kowalski rough on the surface and so good hearted underneath. Anyone that wants to know what the midwest is about just watch this movie and it will give you a glimpse of reality. Thank you Clint for your incredible performance and direction. Expand
  7. JohnS.
    Jan 2, 2009
    One of the best movies I have ever seen
  8. Quackh.
    Jan 22, 2009
    A really good and heartfelt movie. Even though the acting may seem stiff, it felt real. Not that over dramatic type deal. If the movie was enough to make me tear up then yes what a great movie it is. People who've given bad reviews don't deserve to be critics. They don't even know what a good movie is, even if it smacks em right in the face.
  9. fantasy
    Jan 23, 2009
    Clint's in a league of his own. If this was his last movie he went out with his boots on. Certainly deserving of all the praise it is getting. Perhaps Hollywood should take some lessons on acting and directing from Clint. Excellent.
  10. JohnM
    Jan 30, 2009
    Excellent movie. While there is plenty of "offensive" language, the overall theme of the movie is an old man, set in his ways, who fought asians earlier in his life, and so was unhappy with them moving into his neighborhood. As the movie progresses, he not only lays down the law to one of the local gangs, brings many laughs to the audience (some so rapid that you miss a second or third Excellent movie. While there is plenty of "offensive" language, the overall theme of the movie is an old man, set in his ways, who fought asians earlier in his life, and so was unhappy with them moving into his neighborhood. As the movie progresses, he not only lays down the law to one of the local gangs, brings many laughs to the audience (some so rapid that you miss a second or third joke while still laughing at the first) and leaves you genuinely enjoying your time spent watching, but grows to have an understanding and appreciation for their culture. Unfortunately, the movie's namesake makes hardly an appearance, and doesn't play a significant role in the storyline. A shame, because (while not my favorite classic muscle car) it's a gorgeous machine that does indeed demand a bit of respect and appreciation. Very good movie. An excited 10 rating. Watched it twice so far, and will be buying the DVD as soon as it's out. Expand
  11. NicholasK
    Feb 22, 2009
    Incredibly powerful, both humorous and moving at the same time. One of the best films I've seen in a long time.
  12. ChesterCheetah
    Feb 6, 2009
    Was very surprised because the trailer made it look like Deathwish or something. I wasn't ready for how funny it was. Then, the last third of the movie became sort of an urban western. Really great and understated film - 10 of 10!
  13. bobs.
    Feb 7, 2009
    Eastwood is cool. Movie made me cry.
  14. GregT.
    Feb 9, 2009
    Funny & Spiritual.
  15. JamesM
    Jun 14, 2009
    Absolutely amazing film. It's probably my favorite movie this year, if not of all time.
  16. JohnH.
    Jun 24, 2009
    Great Movie. I would give it a ten. Great action, plot, acting, etc. I would have nominated this movie for best picture. It is my third favorite film last year. My other two favorites were The Dark Knight and Slumdog Millionaire. The other two movies I would have nominated for Best Picture are Iron Man,and the Changeling, followed by Doubt. You have to see this movie. Whoever didn't Great Movie. I would give it a ten. Great action, plot, acting, etc. I would have nominated this movie for best picture. It is my third favorite film last year. My other two favorites were The Dark Knight and Slumdog Millionaire. The other two movies I would have nominated for Best Picture are Iron Man,and the Changeling, followed by Doubt. You have to see this movie. Whoever didn't like this movie, no affence, but flat out, is just an idiot or has very poor taste in movies! See this movie!!! Expand
  17. Tom
    Aug 7, 2009
    The movie is one of the best films I've seen in years. This is plain and simply a masterpiece made out of a plot that a 10 year old could have written. And that, I have learned, is what separates the true moviemakers from the wannabes.
  18. TimH
    Sep 25, 2009
    This is definantly in my top 10 of favorite movies. You would think that it would be all about Walt, our hero, being a tough guy, but that isn't the case. While Clint does sport his usual hard outer shell, you also get to see his humerous side and, even more importantly, his soft side. Granted, at the beggining the movie doen't seem like much, the middle and ending is what putsThis is definantly in my top 10 of favorite movies. You would think that it would be all about Walt, our hero, being a tough guy, but that isn't the case. While Clint does sport his usual hard outer shell, you also get to see his humerous side and, even more importantly, his soft side. Granted, at the beggining the movie doen't seem like much, the middle and ending is what puts it over the top. The relationships Walt forms and how he deals with a gang troubled young teen is what makes this movie spectacular. The plot twists will have you questioning humanity. Yes it does have some good action but that isn't really the purpose of the movie. And for those of you wary of this movie because of racism, don't worry, Walt insults all the major ethnicities (Asians, Mexicans, Jews, Blacks, etc.) so no one is left out. He hates (almost) everyone equally. Expand
  19. JohnS.
    Mar 3, 2010
    One of the best movies I have ever seen
    Dec 12, 2008
    Gran Torino is the best film of the year and Eastwood's performance is one of the best of all times.He must win the oscar for best actor this year.
  21. DavidH
    Dec 27, 2008
    Very entertaining film, which is the reason I go to the movies. Great dialog, a lot of different emotions from humor to sadness. A subject a lot of people probably can relate to if they live in a large city. Eastwood continues to amaze with the quality of films he puts out.
  22. JamesP.
    Jan 11, 2009
    Best Movie of the Year! A must-see!! I thoroughly enjoyed this film. The racial humor makes you laugh throughout, and the characters have a good on screen rapport that draws you into the story. Very entertaining!
  23. MaryN.
    Jan 11, 2009
    My boyfriend & I go see movies all the time. I am hard to please when it comes to movies...and this movie was one of the best movies I have seen in a long time. It has a great plot and well worth the time & money!
  24. BillC.
    Jan 10, 2009
    Great story. Clint still has what it takes. Perfect movie for a 78 year old Dirty Harry.
  25. jessD.
    Jan 14, 2009
    What a marvelous film. More than I could have ever expected. This film is almost perfect from where I sat. The only weak link is the non professional player performing the part of the troubled male teen if only because he was such an important part of the story. Everyone else in the film is dead on perfect including the salty and inspiring screenplay. A MUST SEE and a special treat What a marvelous film. More than I could have ever expected. This film is almost perfect from where I sat. The only weak link is the non professional player performing the part of the troubled male teen if only because he was such an important part of the story. Everyone else in the film is dead on perfect including the salty and inspiring screenplay. A MUST SEE and a special treat especially for older people. Expand
  26. hopef
    Jan 14, 2009
    Powerful. well acted. great story.
  27. Your'reAllIdiots
    Jan 16, 2009
    For all the people trashing this film, you obviously can't see any of the moral of greater idea of this movie. It wasn't poorly written of directed, if you go looking for things to hate you'll find them. This was a great movie.
  28. NickS
    Jan 17, 2009
    Everything a movie should be and more.
  29. BRizza
    Jan 17, 2009
    Saw it last night with my wife (both of us Asian btw) & we thoroughly enjoyed it. Action, comedy, drama, etc... This movie had it all & Eastwood shined as a retired "Gunny Highway"-like with a touch of "Bill Munny" retired Ford employee. If you're wondering why I quoted the fact that we are both Asian, yet we STILL enjoyed it, WATCH THE MOVIE. Awesome flick... Eastwood is the F'n MAN!
  30. BillO.
    Jan 17, 2009
    Can just say wow? I would;ve given this an 8 or nine, but it ticks me off that people give these movies 3's and 0's when they really don't deserve a score that low
  31. steveh
    Jan 17, 2009
    The best movie I've seen in a long time. It was reality.
  32. HenryG.
    Jan 19, 2009
    I thought this movie was fantastic. Last year, when the Dark Knight came out, everybody loved, except for me. I feel about this move the way everybody else felt about the Dark Knight last year. The only bad thing about this movie was the ending kind of upset me.
  33. MarkB.
    Jan 22, 2009
    Another finely crafted Eastwood movie full of meaning where no scene is wasted.
  34. HamishA.
    Jan 24, 2009
    It's most definitely going to be one of the best movies of 2009. A very heartwarming movie.
  35. JC.
    Jan 25, 2009
    Am I the only one who thought this movie was completely jokes? like seriously, it was just clint eastwood saying really racist shit all the time. there were scenes where he simply growled and otherrs where he just listed racist terms for asians. one scene in particular struck me as completely ridiculous, the one where the black guys are talking shit to the asian girl and the white dude, Am I the only one who thought this movie was completely jokes? like seriously, it was just clint eastwood saying really racist shit all the time. there were scenes where he simply growled and otherrs where he just listed racist terms for asians. one scene in particular struck me as completely ridiculous, the one where the black guys are talking shit to the asian girl and the white dude, it has no importance to the storyline or advancement of the plot, he just needed to get every race in his rampage of racism. Expand
  36. SamuelW.
    Jan 26, 2009
    fitting that the clueless hollywood crowd snubbed this masterpiece about self sacrifice, redemption, what it means to be an American, family, aging, respect, and living a meaningful and good life, and fixing things for eternity.
  37. LindaH.
    Jan 28, 2009
    This movie was like visiting an old friend. Clint Eastwood was great; I wish he could get an Oscar. The Hmong characters were marvelous and moving. Although I guessed the ending before it came, it was the right ending and satisfying to the character development. If you ever loved any Eastwood movie you should go to this one.
  38. DarylP.
    Jan 31, 2009
    Two words "Eastwood Delivers!". Put simply, they dont make superior movies like this anymore. All the bits about racism is a heap of crap. It is a part of the plot, a self-obstacle that the main character has to come to grips with. The whole point of the story is to show how the most hated character evolves into the hero! It shows how a man slowly overcomes his fears, and regrets instead Two words "Eastwood Delivers!". Put simply, they dont make superior movies like this anymore. All the bits about racism is a heap of crap. It is a part of the plot, a self-obstacle that the main character has to come to grips with. The whole point of the story is to show how the most hated character evolves into the hero! It shows how a man slowly overcomes his fears, and regrets instead of continually using them on others. This movie isn't about an old dog learning new tricks, its about an old dog trying to teach a newer generation an important lesson. This movie conserves a great deal of American values, that the current media and society have long since been trying to do away with. Id give it a higher ranking but 10 is all i have to work with. Clint eastwoods best by far. Expand
  39. ChrisP.
    Jan 4, 2009
    Now that was just awesome.
  40. AlS.
    Jan 4, 2009
    Funniest movie of the year by far, and that's not to take away from the quality of it, all in all a great film, Eastwood is perfect, between him and Ledger, best performances of the year
  41. JasonM.
    Jan 5, 2009
    Greatest movie ever made.
  42. Nick
    Feb 10, 2009
    This movie has some actual substance to it unlike a lot of modern films. It is funny, and moving at the same time, so all I have to say to the reviewer from the Baltimore Sun is that u wouldnt know a good movie any more than you know ur ass from a hole in the ground.
  43. RichardG
    Feb 2, 2009
    Good movie. It is fantastic in every way as it will you a good mark on your life.
  44. JohnU.
    Feb 8, 2009
    Terrific entertainment. Clint Eastwood deserved recognition from the Academy for this one.
  45. JohnM.
    Mar 4, 2009
    This film packs the biggest emotional pay-off of the season. The ending is beautiful and deeply satisfying. So are the photography and music. The acting by the amateur cast seems out of kilter at first, but finally it all comes together and convinces.
  46. DanR
    May 1, 2009
    This is one of the best movies from 2008, a true masterpiece. I went in expecting a where eagles dear like movie but feel in love with this movie. 10 outa 10
  47. BM
    Jun 15, 2009
    Wow, what an impact this movie made. I'm from tehj area where it was filmed, so that made it even more enjoyable. Fantastic film and not one easily forgotten.
  48. ShaneS
    Jun 16, 2009
    This movie was really underated by the oscars, Clint Eastwood is at his best here make no mistake. He still, (as though it were a refined art), pulls off being a gritty, hardcore, don't-mess-around-with-me kind of a guy even though he's like in his eighties. This movie brings the persona, that is Clint Eastwood, to a whole new level, with some smart humor and a great supporting This movie was really underated by the oscars, Clint Eastwood is at his best here make no mistake. He still, (as though it were a refined art), pulls off being a gritty, hardcore, don't-mess-around-with-me kind of a guy even though he's like in his eighties. This movie brings the persona, that is Clint Eastwood, to a whole new level, with some smart humor and a great supporting cast. I highly recommend this film. Expand
  49. PhilipF
    Jul 8, 2009
    I would be surprised if this is not Film of the Year. Superb story and acting with Eastwood getting better in old age, both as actor and director.
  50. JohnT.
    Dec 12, 2008
    Finally Eastwood has make his masterpiece, funny, gritty and loving
  51. MarkF.
    Dec 13, 2008
    I expected another good Eastwood film. I also expected perhaps a little more from him on screen as likely he knows this is his last time as a leading actor. Yet I was blown away. I will see this film again. The ending has to be seen, it is amazing as cinema.
  52. JeffK.
    Dec 15, 2008
    This is one of the best movies I have seen in a long time.
  53. Phil
    Dec 18, 2008
    Once again Clint Eastwood has delivered a great movie. Emotional and sometimes funny but Gran Torino is a film you won't soon forget.
  54. RichardW.
    Dec 26, 2008
    A movie of stratling clarity, Eastwood at his absolute best -- as actor, director and as part of an unique ensemble. Top 10 2008 for sure.
  55. Steve-O
    Dec 29, 2008
    A solid, in your face look at how the ills of modern society can turn an otherwise respecting person into monsters. The film was real from both the perspective of Eastwood and the Hmong actors. It takes on the cultural divide and gives it a harmony to Eastwood's being at peace with himself. Pay attention though because the subtle clues to the film's climax are worth catching to A solid, in your face look at how the ills of modern society can turn an otherwise respecting person into monsters. The film was real from both the perspective of Eastwood and the Hmong actors. It takes on the cultural divide and gives it a harmony to Eastwood's being at peace with himself. Pay attention though because the subtle clues to the film's climax are worth catching to complete this touching yet realistic views of life's cultures, and divisions, as well as a celebration of its unity. Expand
  56. PisethL
    Jan 12, 2009
    One of the best movies for a long time! Everyone can relate to it!
  57. Aaron
    Jan 19, 2009
    I went to this not knowing anything about the movie. I was captivated from beginning to end. This movie makes you feel every emotion. Yes the young Hmong actor's performance leaves something to be desired. Clint was amazing. Best movie I have seen in a decade!
  58. VickiF.
    Jan 22, 2009
    Excellent entertainment value. Timely theme, well-directed, humorous yet with some sober universal values -- kind of like President Obama's Inaugural speech.
  59. DanesG.
    Jan 29, 2009
    A great encore to, "Million Dollar Baby." It's difficult to create real characters, real life scenarios, real conflict, and real suspension of disbelief in the 90 minutes Hollywood allows. But Eastwood does without car crashes, car chases, explosions or gratuitios violence.
  60. MattB
    Feb 15, 2009
    Normally I do not use the 10 rating, but I make an exception for this movie. The trailer had me skeptical, but the movie was superb. There was a stunning performance by Clint Eastwood, who made his character come to life, not like your average run of the mill holywood acting. And the other actors did very good as well. The movie touches up on a lot of humor, most of it racially based, Normally I do not use the 10 rating, but I make an exception for this movie. The trailer had me skeptical, but the movie was superb. There was a stunning performance by Clint Eastwood, who made his character come to life, not like your average run of the mill holywood acting. And the other actors did very good as well. The movie touches up on a lot of humor, most of it racially based, which made the movie that much funnier. The director sure as hell wasn't worried about politically correct crap for sure. Expand
  61. SC
    Feb 15, 2009
    Haven't even seen this one yet, but I will tomorrow (my first chance for a crowd-free monday afternoon flick in a while). If Michael Sragow says "no", I say "YES"! Always. Jeez, Mike, don't you have any friends to remind you that cynicism and self-absorbed vocabulary are no substitute for intelligence and good taste?
  62. MH
    Feb 16, 2009
    Best Movie of the year. Awesome movie, with some of the best character development I have seen in some time.
  63. DouglasL.
    Dec 13, 2008
    Just Great... Clint's Best
  64. Aug 22, 2010
    Gran Torino is maybe the best movie I have ever seen. It is full of everything to pleasure both genders. I watched at my father's apartment with my sister. We all had a great time with this awesome movie. 10 out of 10 is not enough, so I will cheat and say 12 out of 10 :P
  65. May 12, 2011
    dude. whoever the hell gave this movie a bad review must be the dumbest **** i have may ever know. this movie was perfect in every way. and pete, **** u!! u have no idea wut ur talking about. u should walk right up to clint eastwood and tell him what u just said,. and he will be sure to **** u up, u ****
  66. Jan 30, 2012
    One great street gang film. It's funny. It's sad. It got great character. Clint is such a fascinating actor and his role is one of the best I have seen.
  67. Jun 14, 2012
    Clint Eastwood's performance was very memorable here. With a great story and a fantastic moral that comes with it, its a tragic but very entertaining film.
  68. Jan 17, 2013
    Gran Torino is a dramatic film of 2008 directed by Clint Eastwood. The plot is about Walt Kowalski, Polish veteran of the Vietnam War and retired worker in a car factory, who lives in a neighborhood inhabited by Eastern that he did not look kindly on. Especially his neighbors who have immigrated Hmong of Southeast Asia. But when a young group will begin to take it against them, Walt willGran Torino is a dramatic film of 2008 directed by Clint Eastwood. The plot is about Walt Kowalski, Polish veteran of the Vietnam War and retired worker in a car factory, who lives in a neighborhood inhabited by Eastern that he did not look kindly on. Especially his neighbors who have immigrated Hmong of Southeast Asia. But when a young group will begin to take it against them, Walt will have to come to their defense. The film manages to have a huge emotional impact on the viewer and also manages to make you laugh and cry at the same time. Fantastic interpretation of Clint Eastwood manages to make us know his character, grotesque but never overdo it. Expand
  69. Dec 7, 2013
    Gran Torino is a movie you must see. The PC police will almost certainly lambaste it, attempt to dismiss it as clumsy and cry out in shock at Eastwood’s willingness to portray a man so filled with hate and intolerance. Spike Lee, after publicly calling out Clint for leaving black men out of Flags of our Fathers, may have an actual coronary. Hey Spike, this time he’s surrounded himself withGran Torino is a movie you must see. The PC police will almost certainly lambaste it, attempt to dismiss it as clumsy and cry out in shock at Eastwood’s willingness to portray a man so filled with hate and intolerance. Spike Lee, after publicly calling out Clint for leaving black men out of Flags of our Fathers, may have an actual coronary. Hey Spike, this time he’s surrounded himself with brown people and decided to scream ethnic slurs. Ignore the naysayers, they won’t be able to see past their own prejudices to what lies beneath. Gran Torino is smarter than it seems and it’s broader, funnier, and more straightforward than you’d expect. This is the Clint Eastwood we all remember in a perfect final performance. He’s riding off into the sunset scowling, snarling, and spitting blood. Expand
  70. chw
    Jul 20, 2014
    Gran Torino was such a great movie! Even though it's a Clint Eastwood directed film (meaning he usually directs the boring ones like J. Edgar and Jersey Boys), it should have been nominated Best Picture because it came out during the range of time Oscar nominated movies usually come out.
  71. Jun 15, 2014
    Gran Torino is my favourite movie of the year.Incredible acting, good story and good fight scenes.Clint Eastwood is absolutely brilliant in his role.I highly recommend it.
  72. Oct 19, 2015
    Gran Torino is pretty much Eastwood's greatest movie still today! He does excellent work and amazing acting as the main role. This isn't much of an action, but rather a sometimes humorous, touching drama. His son is really hot in this film, and though the ending wasn't really what I was expecting or wanting, I still enjoyed it a lot more than American Sniper.
  73. Aug 23, 2015
    This is literally the best movie I have ever seen. I think we have a Green Mile beater here. If you haven't seen this you must watch it within 48 hours of reading this.
  74. May 30, 2016
    ''Gran Torino'' proved audiences and critics all of the world yet again why Hollywood legend and veteran Clint Eastwood should still be IN FRONT of the camera and not just behind it directing. Mr. Eastwood gives a pitch-perfect performance whilst he's also masterfully directing.

''Gran Torino'' is a heartwarming and charming, yet heavy and emotional movie, with oddly enough a lot of satirical laugh-out-loud moments, about an improbable friendship.

''Gran Torino'' is simply put a great film, one of the best of the 2000's, and up there with ''Harald and Maude'', ''Intouchables'', ''E.T'', ''Cinema Paradiso'', ''Lost in Translation'' (just to name a few) in the list of unlikely friendships in great movies.
  75. GeraldV.
    Jan 16, 2009
    Gran Torino may not be Eastwood's best but it sure ranks in the top 5. While watching the movie you may think the script is all contrived -- until the very ending.
  76. bobp
    Jan 19, 2009
    Naysayers be damned, great movie. The reality, as one poster pointed out, is that spoiled teens and their spoiled parent's would probably not appreciate the calling out that they receive in this movie, everyone else (who has a sense of humor) will love it.
  77. ScottC.
    Mar 9, 2009
    Classic Eastwood...gritty portrayal of current urban existence.
  78. MargaretS.
    Jun 20, 2009
    I loved Gran Torino...Clint Eastwood was superb in his "last" role...I cried at the end and found it very moving. I agree that the Priest did not do a good acting job. He was very mis-cast.
  79. RicardoC.
    Aug 25, 2009
    It's a shame that most of the people can't realize this is not about "gangster / redemption / retribution ", but well, like Lisa Schwarzbaum said: This is subtle, perceptive stuff.
  80. MoS.
    Jan 25, 2009
    Its only shortcoming was the irony of life and a shortage of good young actors.
  81. frankf
    Jan 28, 2009
    I expected this move to be a Dirty Harry retread. I certainly starts that way but becomes something else. There is too many racial slurs and exaggerated "man to man" swearing. This movie is far from perfect but Clint pulls it off. It good to see Detroit neighborhoods as they truly are. Poor and run down but people keep trying to live there.
  82. HenryFilms
    Jan 31, 2009
    This typical Clint Eastwood film exceeded my expectations of a horrible"shoot 'em up" movie. Some parts of the movie really made me want to meet Walt (Clint Eastwood). Over all this movie gets a firm 9/10 from me.
  83. Roy
    Dec 29, 2008
    Clint Eastwood is excellent in portraying a character you really come to know well and care about.
  84. KimL.
    Jan 11, 2009
    Suprisingly funny, mabey a bit cliched but I enjoyed it! It ends sadly and reminds me that this may be Clints last movie, a sad thing indeed.
  85. MartinaA.
    Jan 10, 2009
    Wow...this film made it to my top 10 list of favorite movies, ever! Aside from a bit of bad acting here and there by the newcomers, I absolutely loved it! Gripping, touching and very emotional...a Do Not Miss movie!
  86. JeffJ.
    Jan 10, 2009
    I found this movie experience to be emotionally draining. No one but Clint Eastwood could have played his role as Kowalski. And it wasn't all tense and somber - there were lots of laogh out loud momemts, which made Kowalski even more endearing. Highly recommended!
  87. NathanK.
    Jan 12, 2009
    Such and wonderful and powerful movie. Funny and touching all at the same time. Clint gives one of the best performances I've seen in quite a while and he fits the character perfectly.
  88. LukeS
    Jan 16, 2009
    I found this movie to be quite good, so I don't see what you haters are complaining about. The acting is cheesey at times by the other actors but Eastwood is still awsome. It has its twists and turns and the only thing I really didn't like was Clint Eastwood singing during the end credits (good try though). I still say that any movie fan should give this one a shot.
  89. TreenaL.
    Jan 16, 2009
    LOVED this movie! I think it's one of those movies that peoople will either love or hate - no in between. But I loved it! Clint Eastwood was classic.
  90. terrin
    Jan 17, 2009
    This was a really good story...you can see how this happens in the neighborhood, and each neighborhood has its own character,like clint, who do not like change. as for his family...this is so true, kids nowhere to be found, neighbors turning into family...i really liked this story, found it totally believable, could see it happening to immigrants...thank god clint stood up....WE NEED MORE This was a really good story...you can see how this happens in the neighborhood, and each neighborhood has its own character,like clint, who do not like change. as for his family...this is so true, kids nowhere to be found, neighbors turning into family...i really liked this story, found it totally believable, could see it happening to immigrants...thank god clint stood up....WE NEED MORE CLINTS IN THIS WORLD. Expand
  91. davidl
    Feb 1, 2009
    Fantastic film, powerful and very moving. Incredible how it could have garnered no academy nominations. Just shows hows skewed the academy voting process is. This is one of the best films of the year.
  92. JasonDeatherage
    Feb 14, 2009
    I felt that this was a very powerful film. I was shocked that it was not nominated for best picture or even best actor. I hate the way that the Academy always misses the mark on films. I do not think that it would of won but it should of been nominated. I like the role that Eastwood played in the film. It was very well directed and the story was well told. All of the actors did a great I felt that this was a very powerful film. I was shocked that it was not nominated for best picture or even best actor. I hate the way that the Academy always misses the mark on films. I do not think that it would of won but it should of been nominated. I like the role that Eastwood played in the film. It was very well directed and the story was well told. All of the actors did a great job. I would recommend this to anyone. Expand
  93. RichR.
    Jun 21, 2009
    Very interesting movie, and the end was a real shock to me. The only thing that keeps me from giving in a ten is Clint's portrayal of that mean old man: nobody is that mean and full of dieased, racist blather. He carries on that bit for way too long, and should have dropped it the minute the Hmong girl (the best character in the film, for me) got in his truck. And it's unlikely Very interesting movie, and the end was a real shock to me. The only thing that keeps me from giving in a ten is Clint's portrayal of that mean old man: nobody is that mean and full of dieased, racist blather. He carries on that bit for way too long, and should have dropped it the minute the Hmong girl (the best character in the film, for me) got in his truck. And it's unlikely that anyone would carry war atrocity guilt for so long. Otherwise, it was a fine film, and it was fun to see the Hmong families together. We really did mess up the lives of so many people over in SE Asia; the least we can do is show them some respect. Hey, I know, I know, this is just a movie, but you know what I mean. Expand
  94. ArnoldP.
    Dec 12, 2008
    A perfect old fashioned tale of morality told beautifully with wit and wisdom by Eastwood. Terrific dialogue, tugs at the funny bone and your heart. It is a story for America today and the changing face of this country. The Hmong cast is up to the task to match the great Eastwood performance. A must see.
  95. ColinG.
    Dec 15, 2008
    This is the kind of film that gets better with repeated viewings. That's not to say it wasn't great the first time I watched it. There's just a subtlety in the pacing to this film that is deceptive. You almost don't realize how much is really going on in a scene until you take a step back. This is Eastwood's gift as a director. I hope he does a lot more before he This is the kind of film that gets better with repeated viewings. That's not to say it wasn't great the first time I watched it. There's just a subtlety in the pacing to this film that is deceptive. You almost don't realize how much is really going on in a scene until you take a step back. This is Eastwood's gift as a director. I hope he does a lot more before he actually means it when he says "retired." Expand
  96. JohnW.
    Dec 22, 2008
    The story is nothing shy of cliche, but the direction, and Eastwood's grunting performance are remarkable.
  97. DennisF.
    Jan 11, 2009
    Clint Eastwood never fails to suprise me. He has turned into one of the finest actor/director of my lifetime. True the movie is at times over the top, but I loved it and will see it again.
  98. HyperS
    Jan 12, 2009
    Background: I was hesitant going into the film because I'm more of a pointless action/special effects junkie when it comes to movies. I also haven't watched many if any Clint Eastwood movies so I'm not bias in any way. That said I greatly enjoyed this film. I laughed in a Grumpy Old Men sort of way, I felt for Clint as a lonely war vet, and even *cough* cried at the unusual Background: I was hesitant going into the film because I'm more of a pointless action/special effects junkie when it comes to movies. I also haven't watched many if any Clint Eastwood movies so I'm not bias in any way. That said I greatly enjoyed this film. I laughed in a Grumpy Old Men sort of way, I felt for Clint as a lonely war vet, and even *cough* cried at the unusual ending. I thought all the acting was great except for some parts of the young boy, especially when he was locked in the basement screaming unconvincingly. I'll gladly watch this movie again. Solid 9. Expand
  99. CharlieR.
    Jan 12, 2009
    Very Good.... One of the Best, Eastwood at his best. A believable story without all the special effects that are so common these days that are not at all real, this was real in today's modern American life. With a very surprising ending.
  100. christianW
    Jan 12, 2009
    Amazing film. I cried for half an hour which surprised people because Im 6 foot 1 and 95kg. Also the highest score Ive ever given in a review (4 and a half stars). Eastwood = God.

1. Eastwood has always had the gift for comedy in his acting repertoire, but he indulges in it only rarely. His fans might embrace this return to comedy.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Highlighted by the star's vastly entertaining performance, this funny, broad but ultimately serious-minded drama about an old-timer driven to put things right in his deteriorating neighborhood looks to be a big audience-pleaser.
  3. A movie at once understated and radical, deceptively unremarkable in presentation and ballsy in its earnestness. Don't let the star's overly familiar squint fool you: This is subtle, perceptive stuff.