8.3

1. Sep 4, 2010
    This movie has one of the most interesting main characters I have seen in a very long time, and if it didn't have that it would have gotten a much lower score from me. Eastwood's performance is amazing.
  2. Jun 19, 2013
    One of his best movies yet.We need more movies like this its action and a few funny parts.As of always eastwood is a perfect actor he always gets the job done.
  3. Aug 22, 2010
    Gran Torino is maybe the best movie I have ever seen. It is full of everything to pleasure both genders. I watched at my father's apartment with my sister. We all had a great time with this awesome movie. 10 out of 10 is not enough, so I will cheat and say 12 out of 10 :P
  4. Jan 8, 2011
    A film that speaks to the perceptual tensions humans face in the most significant of facets, and does so with such poise and audacity that the viewer can't help but adore. What compels "Gran Torino" to its bold of state is the lingering emotive responses we feel from Eastwood, who merely from a glance, tells the story of life through the aged, piercing eyes that burrows inside of you, and demands of your notice. Visually, "Gran Torino" may appear to be an "out-of-it's-prime," vintage piece of work, but the engine thrives and subdues its supposed insipidity to its previously prime state where its gritty demeanor flourishes. Expand
  5. Aug 27, 2010
    It seems age has been a blessing for Clint Eastwood, giving him a marked perspective on life, which somehow seems to resonate with everyone (There is virtually no one I've talked to who hasn't liked the story in this movie). Combining that with his talent as both a director and lifelong actor, he gives us one of his most powerful works - what he capitulates in poignant subtlety (Mystic River, Million Dollar Baby), he makes up for with dramatic bravado. Expand
  6. Apr 2, 2011
    A fantastic and surprisingly emotional tale of a bitter old war-veteran and his Korean neighbors. Very well acted and surprisingly down-to-earth. It's got too much language in it for my preference, but it doesn't effect any of the emotional merits of the film.
  7. Oct 17, 2010
    The acting was forced. The only natural sounding actor in the movie was Clint Eastwood. The message was ham-fisted and flat out handed to audiences at the end. The script was incredibly contrived.

Overall, I felt that movie suffered from an unfortunates messiah complex and was unintentionally racist. An white, angry, growling old man has to save everyone else because they can't take care
    of themselves. Expand
  8. Nov 24, 2011
    I thought it was a really good film. Eastwood has shown us all once again why he is still relivent in acting by giving a great performance that is a typical style that Eastwood has given us in the past.
  9. May 12, 2011
    dude. whoever the hell gave this movie a bad review must be the dumbest **** i have may ever know. this movie was perfect in every way. and pete, **** u!! u have no idea wut ur talking about. u should walk right up to clint eastwood and tell him what u just said,. and he will be sure to **** u up, u ****
  10. Sep 2, 2014
    Gran Torino is honestly one of the most touching movies I have ever seen. The best characters in any movie are those who lived long before the movie's setting, those are deep and fully experienced life. Clint Eastwood is great in this movie, he is honestly my favorite part of the movie and my favorite actor of all time. Despite, I can't give the movie a full rating because some of the acting is off, especially Walt's friend and the some of the gang, they pulled me out of the moment which was unfortunate. Expand
  11. Dec 17, 2010
    Ex-war veteran, wife dies, hates everyone & everything, Korean neighbours, son in with gang, son tries to steal war veteran's prize car, takes young Korean under his wing.
    Nicely played out but very predictable affair & with Clint as good as ever.
    It very much follows a formula with the master/pupil route & is quite heart warming but also very brutal along the way.
  12. Nov 13, 2010
    Slow pacing, poor acting and an unbelievable script make this film bad enough, but the continued suggestion that casual racism is acceptable if the other person accepts it "good natured banter" beggars belief.
  13. Apr 21, 2014
    Eastwood's performance and character are excellent. I love the relationship between his character and the boy. Well shot good morals. Just a well made film. Should have higher critical praise than it does.
  14. Oct 22, 2010
    I get the impression that this would be Dirty Harry if he was older. Which is brilliant, because it's funny, simple, short and sweet. Great movie watching.
  15. Mar 9, 2011
    While a great movie with a deep emotional story and awesome characters, my only complaint is that it tries to be realistic but fails, in real life if an old man tried to act tough around anyone they would kick his ass and leave him for dead, that aside it's a great movie that must be watched.
  16. Feb 24, 2012
    A 6 for being decently good. Eastwood lives up to his acting aswell, he still has it in him (Atleast that time).
    Story itself is slow at times, don't watch it for it's "action" as there hardly is any.
  17. Apr 13, 2011
    Clint starts off in fine acerbic form as Walt, a malcontented Korean War vet with neighbour problems, but regrettably the film rapidly descends into homily, cliche and downright implausibility. Gasp as Walt discovers his softer side! Chuckle at the chutzpah of the young girl confronting three would-be rapists with wisecracks and her irascible neighbour with cheeky repartee! Marvel as the impossibly baby-faced priest becomes Walt's confidante in a last minute schmaltzy reconciliation between Walt and his long-lost faith!

Extra half a star for "Click Clack, Ding Dong and Charlie Chan", though. Funny when he was being mean, saccharine when he wasn't, and impossible to reconcile the two.
  18. Jun 2, 2011
    An Eastwood Tour de Force! The best performance of his career, followed closely by Unforgiven. This film is completely driven by Eastwood's performance, but unfortunately the supporting cast is especially weak, even bad at times. However, with such a robust character like Walt, you can't help but love this film only for his contribution. Too bad he was completely and utterly overlooked by the Academy. Expand
  19. May 28, 2011
    I love this movie. It's direct, simple and old fashioned. I don't even want to waste time writing about "Oh I liked this and that and blah blah". Just watch the film.
  20. Jan 30, 2012
    One great street gang film. It's funny. It's sad. It got great character. Clint is such a fascinating actor and his role is one of the best I have seen.
  21. Jul 18, 2013
    Gran Torino is a decent film for watching if you're bored, but if you're expecting something completely immersive and gripping, you will be disappointed. There's no action or significant events really, and the entire plot can be summarised in about 20 seconds. There aren't any unnecessary parts in the film which are unrelated or pointless, but character development isn't as good as it could be and overall the film is a bit too long and thin on content. The whole film takes place within a few meters, as just bout the entire film is all in one house and a street. The problem with Gran Torino is that there's no real emotion during the film. No excitement. The entire film is quite bland; although it does manage to keep you watching it all the way through. Its only redeeming feature is the occasional comical scenes. Expand
  22. Sep 28, 2011
    Well, this left me disappointed. The Hmong actors were **** terrible. Specially that Toad guy, him screaming to get out of the basement at the end was laughable. "Walt! Waaaaaaaalllllt!" Cmon, that was just the worst scene in the movie. And how the hell could a **** like him even have a driver's license to drive the Gran Torino? It was inexplicable.

It was strange, this film was trying to
    show us to be nicer to our neighbors and more accepting of foreign cultures... but then they go out of their way to show us that the Hmong are really weird and freaky. Like... no touching the tops of people's heads? An actual **** voodoo witch doctor? Cranky old woman spitting out a bunch of weird brown fluid? But hey, it's all good cause their food's really tasty, right? Right? Heh...

The padre was just annoying me throughout the entire film. Not badly acted, but his character just came off as a sanctimonious prick. Mission accomplished if that was what they were aiming for.

Clint was good as usual. But that ending... just didn't work for me. I know they were setting us up for a more traditional ending and then went for an unorthodox approach, but still... I wanted that traditional ending. Instead, they gave us Walt committing suicide, essentially. Very disappointing ending.
  23. Jun 14, 2012
    Clint Eastwood's performance was very memorable here. With a great story and a fantastic moral that comes with it, its a tragic but very entertaining film.
  24. Apr 12, 2012
    Clint Eastwood's work on imaging Asian culture and overcoming racism is surprisingly amusing. Its also surprisingly captivating on entering and overcoming racism against Asians and their cultures. The dialogue was also very impressive between protagonists and antagonists. Honestly, this should have received Academy Award-nominations for best picture and best director; Clint Eastwood.
  25. Dec 13, 2011
    One of the most overrated films by audiences. I can see that this is going to be a favorite by males which is also one of my favorites. I don't think it's horrible I just think it's not as good as "ordinary" people make it out to be. It has some of the worst acting I ever seen by Bee Vang. It's his first role ever and possibly his last. He would never show emotion or pronounce his words correctly. Clint Eastwood should have seen that his performance was lacking. That being said this was not Eastwood's best. The writing was good especially with all the bad language. The writing benefited the plot build up leading to Walt giving his life for the family to be at peace. He also had to realize that wrong in his own racism. He basically had to leave all the haunted memories from the war by realizing what is wrong and right. He had to confess his sins which is what his wife wanted before he died. For all the guys that loved this film, it's seriously not as good as you think. Expand
  26. Jan 17, 2013
    Gran Torino is a dramatic film of 2008 directed by Clint Eastwood. The plot is about Walt Kowalski, Polish veteran of the Vietnam War and retired worker in a car factory, who lives in a neighborhood inhabited by Eastern that he did not look kindly on. Especially his neighbors who have immigrated Hmong of Southeast Asia. But when a young group will begin to take it against them, Walt will have to come to their defense. The film manages to have a huge emotional impact on the viewer and also manages to make you laugh and cry at the same time. Fantastic interpretation of Clint Eastwood manages to make us know his character, grotesque but never overdo it. Expand
  27. Apr 7, 2012
    There is beauty in this movie, there is soul, and feeling. Clint Eastwood's performance is formidable! For those who argue that he is better as a director than an actor, I think here he proves that he can be great as both. I too, believe that this movie is a solid 9, and I am disappointed about the fact that many didn't grasp the message of this movie. It is not a presumptuos film; on the opposite, it is simple, pleasurable, touching. It has character. It is not pompous; it is real, it is human, It is life. Expand
  28. Sep 30, 2012
    Critics got thsi film totally wrong. It was frecking amazin. Clint Eastwood gives an untouchable performance. This is one film that is definently worth watching.
  29. Aug 27, 2014
    An interesting turn for Clint Eastwood, but a worthy, fresh film. Eastwood reminds us that he has not entirely abandoned his skills in acting (& apparently, singing, too). Gran Torino cuts deep--just as Clint wished.
  30. Mar 31, 2012
    Grand Torino is a wonderful movie. It is a film that speaks to the tensions humans face in the most significant way, and does so with such poise and audacity that the viewer can't help but adore.
  31. Mar 31, 2012
    A very good film, that evolves wonderfully with its story. It enticing to watch and is fearless in its script. Everybody was very good. I thought Clint should have won some kind of an award.
  32. Jan 24, 2013
    This movie made ​​me very long, but when finished I thought about what he had seen, and I find it a great movie.
  33. Nov 17, 2012
    Eastwood's bracing and heart-wrenching human drama will get to you. The effect is overwhelming.
  34. Nov 21, 2012
    Has Clint Eastwood played similar characters before? Yes. But with such mesmerizing abilities as a director, and a powerful hand at story telling...who cares? Underrated film. Great.
  35. Dec 7, 2013
    Gran Torino is a movie you must see. The PC police will almost certainly lambaste it, attempt to dismiss it as clumsy and cry out in shock at Eastwood’s willingness to portray a man so filled with hate and intolerance. Spike Lee, after publicly calling out Clint for leaving black men out of Flags of our Fathers, may have an actual coronary. Hey Spike, this time he’s surrounded himself with brown people and decided to scream ethnic slurs. Ignore the naysayers, they won’t be able to see past their own prejudices to what lies beneath. Gran Torino is smarter than it seems and it’s broader, funnier, and more straightforward than you’d expect. This is the Clint Eastwood we all remember in a perfect final performance. He’s riding off into the sunset scowling, snarling, and spitting blood. Expand
  36. Aug 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Great film. Well acted and very powerful.

I read a user review on this site saying that the message this movie is sending is that the only way to defeat evil people is to let them kill you, and then they'll only spend a few years in prison. To the guy who wrote that review, all I have to say is... what? You do realize that all those guys are going to be found guilty of second degree murder right? That's life in prison, no exceptions. What did you expect to happen? Walt and Thao waltz on up to that house, go on an epic shooting rampage, kill everyone and then get away with it scot-free and everyone lives happily ever after? Clearly you've been watching too many Michael Bay films and also have no clue how the criminal justice system works. They shot Walt in cold blood, in clear view of neighbours. Even if nobody in the neighbourhood actually saw it, they all surely heard the gunshots. and Walt had no gun. Leaving Spider and his Gang the only ones who could have done the shooting. I think you need to look at the bigger picture here. Walt was nearing the end of his life. Over the course of the movie, he grew to care for Thao and his family. Once he found out that there were no witnesses to Sue's kidnapping and the members of the community refused to talk about anything related to Spider's gang, he knew it was the only way to ensure that Spider's gang would never harm Thao and his family ever again. So he spent his last moment doing something very courageous that not only saved Thao and his family but that whole community as well.
  37. Jun 11, 2013
    That film was extraordinary. Drama and action combined perfectly. Clint Eastwood was magnificent. The plot perfect and what was going was crazy. Really liked the ending, was too moving for me.
  38. Jun 17, 2013
    cracking film, Clint Eastwood at his magnificent best. very emotional story and although i personally feel the ending could have been different the film will not fail to move you emotionally
  39. Nov 13, 2013
    Gran Torino is gritty and gratuitous.
    A great script with a well paced plot. The believability is essential and it elevates the movie. A really good picture all around.
  40. Nov 24, 2013
    There comes a point when actors are too old to play even their signature roles. Unfortunately, Eastwood falls under the category, resulting in a somewhat cheesy and slow-moving plot line, yet satisfying ending.
  41. Feb 13, 2014
    I found Clints acting to be good but a lot of the supporting characters not so good. I liked the movie but I did feel it starting to get slow in the middle. The ending was great and genuinely made me sad. Not his best but far from his worst.
  42. chw
    Jul 20, 2014
    Gran Torino was such a great movie! Even though it's a Clint Eastwood directed film (meaning he usually directs the boring ones like J. Edgar and Jersey Boys), it should have been nominated Best Picture because it came out during the range of time Oscar nominated movies usually come out.
  43. Jun 15, 2014
    Gran Torino is my favourite movie of the year.Incredible acting, good story and good fight scenes.Clint Eastwood is absolutely brilliant in his role.I highly recommend it.

1. Eastwood has always had the gift for comedy in his acting repertoire, but he indulges in it only rarely. His fans might embrace this return to comedy.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Highlighted by the star's vastly entertaining performance, this funny, broad but ultimately serious-minded drama about an old-timer driven to put things right in his deteriorating neighborhood looks to be a big audience-pleaser.
  3. A movie at once understated and radical, deceptively unremarkable in presentation and ballsy in its earnestness. Don't let the star's overly familiar squint fool you: This is subtle, perceptive stuff.