7.8

1. Oct 6, 2013
    Welcome back 40 years into the past where blacks say "yassir boss" and women are emotional wrecks.. Bullock's character is fraught with frantic emotionalism that prevents her from rational and intelligent thought and actions. The concept of a limited air supply does not compute to her. She is like the drunk driver that gets into an accident, kills four people, but she survives. It's likeWelcome back 40 years into the past where blacks say "yassir boss" and women are emotional wrecks.. Bullock's character is fraught with frantic emotionalism that prevents her from rational and intelligent thought and actions. The concept of a limited air supply does not compute to her. She is like the drunk driver that gets into an accident, kills four people, but she survives. It's like she was a secretary that knows satellite uplinking and got drafted into this job by default. A total setback for women's rights and the stereotypical way men view them.... and I love Bullock and yes, I am a big fan of Clooney too. This movie is all visual and is almost a shameless remake or takeoff of "Open Water". Expand
  2. Oct 20, 2013
    If you want to hear Sandra Bullock and George Clooney scream for 1 hour and 31 minutes, than this is the movie for you... If you want to go see a good movie, go see Captain Phillips.
  3. Dec 12, 2013
    One of the most overrated, boring, stupid films I have seen in a long long time. The only redeeming thing was the special effects. Everything else was ridiculous, stupid and boring. I actually wanted to walk out half way though, couldn't care less whether or not she survived at the end.
  4. Oct 13, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The plot is really poor and filled with stereotypes such as the "Russian Mistake" and the "Oriental guy who cannot understand English".
    The visuals are really the best you can imagine for a sci-fi movie, but the intrusive music that you hear in Cuaron's space (instead of the silence and the breathing sound) ruins the whole experience. Also there are PLENTY of mistakes, such as the airlocks, that in the real world are always opened inwards the station and can be opened only from there, otherwise the gasses will flow out so fast that your body will be sent on a trip to Vulcan. All the equipment during the EVA is ALWAYS linked to the astronauts (yes, I'm speaking about the flying wrench), Houston does not listen to music during missions, astronauts do not speak about their life or fly with a jetpack around the ship (the real one is called SAFER and it's only for emergency use). Least but not last, if the crew of the ISS should be forced to escape, would have been using BOTH the Soyuzes (without leaving one for Sandra Bullock). Want good sci-fi? Watch Moon, Europa Report and obviusly 2001. This is crap.
  5. Oct 23, 2013
    Meh, it's ok, (relatively) short and predictable. Shots/special effects are _very good, but there are several dull/slow moments that really don't fit; George Clooney's performance is very limited. Overall, I was expecting much more.
  6. Jan 25, 2014
    I am one of the few people who didn't enjoy Gravity. I found Sandra Bullock's character annoying. If this was the real world her character wouldn't have even passed basic training. She lacked knowledge about space that would be extremely important for an astronaut to know. I also didn't like her character's back story. It was just sad to be sad, there was no real reason for it. I wouldI am one of the few people who didn't enjoy Gravity. I found Sandra Bullock's character annoying. If this was the real world her character wouldn't have even passed basic training. She lacked knowledge about space that would be extremely important for an astronaut to know. I also didn't like her character's back story. It was just sad to be sad, there was no real reason for it. I would have prefered a stronger character fighting to live for what they had back home rather than having Bullock's character have really nothing to live for. What I did like about the movie was the special effects. They were amazing to watch. Maybe I would have enjoyed Gravity more if I saw it in IMAX but on a regular screen it was majorly lacking. Expand
  7. Dec 26, 2013
    This movie is a joke. It had amazing visuals that took some 7 years to do (they had to wait for the technology to be created). It had a script that was written in 30 minutes, while the writer was drunk and high. It had acting that was great at first, but got repetitive and annoying. Worst of all, there's no arc, there's no story; it's just the same 5-minute loop over and over again. IfThis movie is a joke. It had amazing visuals that took some 7 years to do (they had to wait for the technology to be created). It had a script that was written in 30 minutes, while the writer was drunk and high. It had acting that was great at first, but got repetitive and annoying. Worst of all, there's no arc, there's no story; it's just the same 5-minute loop over and over again. If you've seen the trailer, you've seen the whole movie. Expand
  8. Nov 8, 2013
    Like Kubrick's '2001: Space Odyssey', this movie is about space. But instead of psychologically challenging you, it challenges your body. I was shaking in my chair because of the thrill the movie provided and after leaving the theatre I was constantly looking at the sky and thinking about the movie. It's a movie experience you will hardly leave to die, because it's so unique. Few moviesLike Kubrick's '2001: Space Odyssey', this movie is about space. But instead of psychologically challenging you, it challenges your body. I was shaking in my chair because of the thrill the movie provided and after leaving the theatre I was constantly looking at the sky and thinking about the movie. It's a movie experience you will hardly leave to die, because it's so unique. Few movies can impact on a person such as this does, so I recommend you too will experience it. Expand
  9. Jan 8, 2014
    A movie that is not about science fiction should stay true to science that governs our universe. Being an engineer myself i cringed every second i saw b-s physics just to advance the non-existent plot. Not a movie for educated people who actually likes a plot and presentation to go along with it. More of a movie for the brainless people who thinks woofing in a spacepod is emotional andA movie that is not about science fiction should stay true to science that governs our universe. Being an engineer myself i cringed every second i saw b-s physics just to advance the non-existent plot. Not a movie for educated people who actually likes a plot and presentation to go along with it. More of a movie for the brainless people who thinks woofing in a spacepod is emotional and opening the airlock of it is actually a cool idea for the reunion cliche.

This movie is a litmus paper to stupidity and the ratings show the average brain power of people who watched this movie.
  10. Oct 25, 2013
    Stunning realism to the science of space, along with extraordinary cinematography and special effects, brilliant, entertaining acting by Sandra Bullock and George Clooney, give this sci-fi it's interesting cataclysmic plot, and it's essence of a dramatic-thriller Mexican film-making [of Alfonso Cuaron] proves both entertaining and sophisticated.
  11. Oct 9, 2013
    Excellent movie with great visuals and atmosphere. Even with some boredom when we have to sit through with the characters mental breakdown and psychological struggle to stay calm and get through the occurring mess in open space, the movie is a great experience that makes you worship the ground you are standing on.
  12. Nov 17, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Alfonso Cuarón’s intense space thriller Gravity chronicles the struggle of two astronauts to return home when their shuttle is damaged beyond repair by an unprecedented cascade of destructive space debris.

Though undeniably engaging and action-packed, there is an understated atmosphere that comes from the focus on a small cast and their isolation. It’s not pure science-fiction, though fiction allows it to circumnavigate the criticism it has received for scientific inaccuracies. In the absence of any vast treatise on the destiny of humanity, Gravity becomes a contemporary space adventure that is both modern thriller and character drama.

The term ‘shot’ is used loosely here, because the real stars are the stunning visual effects, created in London. What the production team have created is a live action film that is almost entirely and inconspicuously computer generated. Our heroes are inserted into the immersing void above a stunning blue pearl, as they navigate speeding debris, collapsing spacecraft and vast leagues of emptiness.

Cuarón strays into tried and tested Hollywood characterisation with his two leads, the newbie and the veteran. Similarly, the action settles itself in the typical action movie camp, demanding suspension of disbelief from the audience. It’s easy to lose count of the times someone miraculously grabs the very last railing before hurtling off to their doom, but for every time this happens, cinematic karma provides another situation when luck runs out, and their fate appears sealed.

George Clooney appears as Lt. Matt Kowalski, an old space dog enjoying his last spacewalk as he pipes country music through his suit. Clooney’s got the experience: this isn’t his first voyage to the stars, or the first time his ship’s gone down. However, the story really belongs to Bullock, who inhabits her character Dr. Ryan Stone (“my dad wanted a boy”) with emotional intensity.

Stone has none of Kowalski’s confidence, and is terrified when things go awry. We learn she has lost a young daughter, and since then retreated into her research. Cuarón revisits themes of futility explored in Children of Men as Stone must decide whether to resign herself to fate and be reunited with her daughter, or fight desperately for life. With little desire for self preservation, she teeters on the verge of accepting the former more than once.

The tool of her absolution is a symbolic rebirth, explicitly visualised when she removes her bulky spacesuit for the first time and drifts in a foetal position, the cable that tethered her to the ill-fated shuttle floating past as a suggestive umbilical cord. Dressed simply, her vulnerability at this point is reminiscent of Sigourney Weaver’s Ripley in Alien (1979).

Gravity is the latest exploration of how far visual technology has come since the pioneering Avatar (2009). While that film basked in the visual candy of alien flora and fauna, Gravity’s portrayal of the vacuum of space, and the perceived lack of a certain fundamental interaction, invites comparisons with other masterpieces of space on film.

Themes of rebirth and the use of long, uninterrupted shots owe a debt to 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968), which is ultimately wider in scope. Though elegance remains in Kubrick’s classically scored wide shots of docking spacecraft, Gravity ups the ante by dynamically moving the camera through these long sequences, swooping around characters and spacecraft to fully exploit the versatile digital environment. Composer Steven Price’s score meanwhile is haunting silence highlighted by thunderous crescendo. Long shots are interspersed with the view from Bullock’s perspective, emphasising disorientation as she spins out of control.

It’s hard to believe 2001 was released 45 years ago when its effects, created sans computer, still appear so realistic. Kubrick achieved weightlessness with strings, while cameras filming from unconventional directions turned the pendulum-like swing into weightless drifting in another axis. The iconic floating pen was achieved by fixing it to a transparent sheet of rotating plastic. It’s a mark of how far effects have come that multiple pens, along with a plethora of other equipment, frequently spin past Bullock as she clambers through space station interiors.

Apollo 13 (1995) eschewed special effects for the real thing, filming aboard NASA’s astronaut training aircraft, the famous “Vomit Comet” which completed hundreds of descents to give the film makers enough time to shoot. Incidentally, another link between the films sees (or hears) Apollo 13’s mission controller Ed Harris reprises his role as the voice of Houston at the start of Gravity. Notably absent in Gravity are the Earth-based back stories and cutaways to Houston’s desperate attempts at rescue exactly the kind of narrative that padded out Apollo 13. When communications go down early in the film, they are completely on their own.
  13. Oct 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I found this movie a little too hyped.

The visuals, directing, sound & music design, science, immersiveness deserves a huge amount of praise, especially because it's a new style never explored before which makes it even more difficult for Alfonso Cuarón to get them right.

However I felt like the script was a letdown. It was too cliche to be revolutionary. They need a twist? Debris flying in your direction! Or fuel conveniently runs out. Also felt a little too draggy at a few points. I also felt that they could have expanded on the 'Russia blowing up their satellites and somehow taking out half of US' satellites causing nationwide comms blackout'. That was such a good plot to expand on.

Still would strongly recommend everyone to watch this though.
  14. Feb 1, 2014
    This film is the most overrated thing I have ever watched. Not only is it just ludicrous to put religious themes in there but the fact that the laws of physics didn't even apply was the worst part, apparently the ISS was only 100 miles from the shuttle but if you look at the Earth and the ISS it is clear it is almost 3,000km away! Such a stupid film and mind numbingly offensive to peopleThis film is the most overrated thing I have ever watched. Not only is it just ludicrous to put religious themes in there but the fact that the laws of physics didn't even apply was the worst part, apparently the ISS was only 100 miles from the shuttle but if you look at the Earth and the ISS it is clear it is almost 3,000km away! Such a stupid film and mind numbingly offensive to people with knowledge on Astronomy. Sandra Bullick also acted horribly and unrealistically, no depth to her character at all, just strange reactions and boring backstory on her daughter. One thing I'll give it is the cinematography is superb but if you have a background on Astronomy DON'T WATCH THIS FILM! It will frustrate the **** out of you.  Expand
  15. Oct 13, 2013
    It is a cinematic masterpiece thanks to its technical prowess. Have never seen anything like this. Exhilarating Stuff. It is a story of Life, Death, Loneliness, Fear, Courage and Life. It is a story of Infinite and Finite. Story of Air, Water and Vacuum.Of Distance and Destiny. Of Silence. Of Energy. Of Motion, Of Gravity.
    You will not forget the weight of this movie for a long long time to come
  16. Oct 20, 2013
    I signed up on Metacritic just to write this review. Perhaps this particular epiphany has come to others much faster, but I now officially give up on humanity. I went to see this film (and heavily dodged spoilers) because this movie received over 40 positive critic reviews with no mixed and no negative reviews. Metacritic is notoriously hard on movies, so I was excited. Would this beI signed up on Metacritic just to write this review. Perhaps this particular epiphany has come to others much faster, but I now officially give up on humanity. I went to see this film (and heavily dodged spoilers) because this movie received over 40 positive critic reviews with no mixed and no negative reviews. Metacritic is notoriously hard on movies, so I was excited. Would this be as good as Sunshine? Moon? Perhaps better?

And then I got this. What a waste of some serious audio and visual talent. Imagine if there was some science? Or a story? Or some sane dialogue?

You get the picture. 5 points for all the technical people behind this. Nothing for anything else. See it to support the genre and hope that the next time a movie like this is pitched they recognize that the rave reviews and big box office happened despite the characters/dialogue/story.
  17. Oct 27, 2013
    An intense, beautifully crafted film. For the entirety of the movie, I was holding my breath and on the edge of my seat, quite literally in fact. A relatively short runtime gives the feeling of length without exhaustion, and the acting, visual effects, sound effects, and soundtrack, are so incredibly engrossing, that after the film ended, I felt like I had to check in with myself that iAn intense, beautifully crafted film. For the entirety of the movie, I was holding my breath and on the edge of my seat, quite literally in fact. A relatively short runtime gives the feeling of length without exhaustion, and the acting, visual effects, sound effects, and soundtrack, are so incredibly engrossing, that after the film ended, I felt like I had to check in with myself that i was sitting in a theater. Absolutely something to put on anyone's must watch list. Expand
  18. Nov 10, 2013
    Gravity (90 wonderful minutes) Sandra Bullock- Dr. Ryan Stone George Clooney- Matt Kowalski Ed Harris Mission Control (voice)

Gravity is not only one of the best movies about space ever made, it is one of the best movies ever made, period. From the opening until the end, the moviegoer is held in the spellbinding grip of this magnificent film. Gravity deserves every Oscar that can be forged, it is just that good.

There are no gratuitous sex scenes, no sappy no corporate logos or political innuendos in this film, just 90 minutes of gripping, spellbinding entertainment. This is one of the tightest movies I have ever seen, not one second wasted, no fluff, no quarter and no pause. From the moment you are in your seat, prepare to stay there and prepare to be absorbed by this tour de force of a film. The attention to detail is absolutely amazing, it's about the best I have ever seen. My popcorn and every edible half-popped kernel was consumed in the first 30 minutes and any thoughts of relieving an aching bladder during this film were discarded as the cinematic greatness manifested itself throughout the entire 90 minutes.

Sandra Bullock was wonderful in this role, certainly an award-winning performance from beginning to end. I will try really hard to avoid Spoilers here, but this film is brutally real as there is no saving the day or head-turning suspension of disbelief. The scene in the Russian capsule where Dr. Ryan seemingly had accepted her inevitable fate...I won't say any more, just go see this film.

This movie received universal acclaim from the professional critics, but has been savaged by quite a few amateur movie critics who criticize the movie for two main reasons. First, the storyline is assailed as being mediocre or pedestrian, and others rail against the scientific accuracy of what is portrayed in the film. To this I say, codswallop. Many forget the purpose of movies, i.e. to entertain the audience, and this one does this in spades.

Just go see it, you will not be sorry. Five Stars out of Five.
  19. Nov 13, 2013
    The movie "Gravity" is the sad indictment of current film critics such as Claudia Winkleman & her BBC co presenter Danny Leigh,the hype for this film has been extraordinarily over generous, this small engaging space saga tries to show that women can do what is usually depicted by Hollywood as a mans job...for the life of me i could not see why fellow astronaut Matt (George Clooney)The movie "Gravity" is the sad indictment of current film critics such as Claudia Winkleman & her BBC co presenter Danny Leigh,the hype for this film has been extraordinarily over generous, this small engaging space saga tries to show that women can do what is usually depicted by Hollywood as a mans job...for the life of me i could not see why fellow astronaut Matt (George Clooney) was so much in a hurry to cut himself free from his co star & become just another piece of floating space junk,i found Sandra Bullocks expertise sadly lacking, not least by her rather amateur attempt at fixing a .malfunctioned circuit board attached to the Hubble Iam sure NASA would not have sent someone into space who had failed miserably to learn the docking & unlocking procedures that might be just needed on such a perilous mission, that said Bullocks role was well acted but.. certainly not Oscar material... Clooneys role for what is was could have frankly been played by any actor,special affects were very good but have been bettered, I found there were hints of the Signora Weavers character Ripely in the far superior "Alien" movie but lets not even go there..,nonetheless not a bad try... but keep your expectations to a minimum 7 out of 10. MJC Expand
  20. Jan 26, 2014
    I spent money on this movie and it was a waste of my time. I saw the trailer before I went and saw the movie and at the end over the movie I was very disappointed because the trailer made it look good but the trailer was the whole movie. I tell all of my friends to watch the trailer and that's the movie. This movie was a waste of time and money. I have no idea why everyone liked it so muchI spent money on this movie and it was a waste of my time. I saw the trailer before I went and saw the movie and at the end over the movie I was very disappointed because the trailer made it look good but the trailer was the whole movie. I tell all of my friends to watch the trailer and that's the movie. This movie was a waste of time and money. I have no idea why everyone liked it so much but I guess it was because everyone these days are stupid and can't think about anything but the simplest things that that go on. I say to the people who made this movie go and watch an episode of doctor who and then look at this movie. I am saying you guys suck and British people are so much better. Go take a lesson from Steven Moffat because he knows how to write an amazing story line and keep it going and make it better as it goes on. I will never watch a movie that is made by you and I will tell all of my friends the same thing I told them about Gravity that it sucked and is waste of time and money and no one in their right mind should go see it. Before I go might i just add that the acting sucked as well I hated that actors that you got they absolutely sucked and should never act again. Expand
  21. Feb 1, 2014
    Flawed Science and so dull. I was forced to bet with myself how many times the characters would miss the vital piece of space equipment before finally saving themselves again. Ghastly waste of time
  22. Oct 23, 2013
    I really don't understand how people can "connect" with such an annoying actress. The graphical effects were spectacular, but other than that I spent most of the movie wishing George Clooney would come back so I wouldn't be so bored. This movie is the same amount of a survival story as Spongebob Squarepants is an adult humor.
  23. Oct 21, 2013
    Did I really see the same movie as all of those who are saying "amazing, one of the best movies ever, best I've ever seen, fabulous performances...."?

Seriously? I guess this is the perfect movie for our ADD society where we need something sparkly to happen every 7 10 seconds... it's short attention span theater albeit pretty to watch with wonderful photography. It woefully lacks in

Seriously?

I guess this is the perfect movie for our ADD society where we need something sparkly to happen every 7 10 seconds... it's short attention span theater albeit pretty to watch with wonderful photography. It woefully lacks in character development and is void of any plausibility. It's The Perils of Pauline in Space, a paste diamond set in a Faberge egg of photography.
  24. Nov 9, 2013
    The most over rated movie in a generation. These are two one dimensional characters shot in 3D, nothing more. Strip away the glitter and you would be paying someone else to watch it for you. If you want a Disney roller coaster ride without the movement then go see it. If you want something that has anything besides visual marshmallow goop then skip it.
  25. Oct 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really don't know how this movie got such high matacritic reviews. Scripts is so amateur, unrealisitic!! Even George Clooney is not at his best! How can someone so cool-ly sacrifice himself with sarcasm?!! Only in cheap Hollywood flicks! Basic physics laws are broken so miserably! For god sake, if in the space and state of weightless ness, two people are attached by a rope, there is no way one of the being pulled away?! so he having too cut himself loose to save the other one?!!! Hello! there is no gravity! don't forget!!
    Such a waste of scenario's idea! could have been a great movie with a different crew!
  26. Nov 9, 2013
    I'm so INCREDIBLY disappointed. I could never imagine how clichée filled, "sentimental" and stupid this movie is. The dialogue (and the monologue!) is among the dumbest I've ever heard. As if that wasn't enough, I found myself questioning most of what was happening so many flaws and logical gaps. Frankly, the most enjoyable thing about this movie was the 3D and I really, really hate 3D.I'm so INCREDIBLY disappointed. I could never imagine how clichée filled, "sentimental" and stupid this movie is. The dialogue (and the monologue!) is among the dumbest I've ever heard. As if that wasn't enough, I found myself questioning most of what was happening so many flaws and logical gaps. Frankly, the most enjoyable thing about this movie was the 3D and I really, really hate 3D. I can't even imagine who would find this movie gripping. It's beyond me. Expand
  27. Oct 5, 2013
    Amazing visual effects/CGI and the whole atmosphere of what it's like being in space is done nicely. However, the performances are passable at best Clooney's role is basically a cameo. Bullock... she's not exactly my favorite actress, but I know she's capable and skilled. But I didn't find her performance here to be as highly acclaimed as some people are thinking perhaps because theAmazing visual effects/CGI and the whole atmosphere of what it's like being in space is done nicely. However, the performances are passable at best Clooney's role is basically a cameo. Bullock... she's not exactly my favorite actress, but I know she's capable and skilled. But I didn't find her performance here to be as highly acclaimed as some people are thinking perhaps because the character she portrays is annoyingly inept and stupidly lucky for an astronaut. The characters don't have depth to them, mostly because you're not given enough time to get invested before the hits the fan. Not to mention you barely get enough background to connect either so all you really know are their names and the fact that one has been on more missions than the other.

For a movie that's supposed to depict the realism of being in space and the potential dangers, the number of stupid, ridiculous and forced moments (though the movie would've been much shorter if they didn't) were more than enough for me to find myself criticizing nearly everything as I was simply left unimpressed and frustrated at what I was seeing on-screen. As one negative reviewer has said the basic rules of physics and space travel are oft bent or ignored.

Thriller? Edge of your seat? Perhaps for some who haven't seen the many flaws in this movie and who have never seen videos or played video games depicting what real space is like. There was, in my opinion, one or two moments where it was rather thrilling, but other than that the rest of the movie was bland and, as I've already mentioned, frustratingly stupid.

I regret spending the extra money to watch this in IMAX 3D.
  28. Oct 4, 2013
    Gripping. Almost like a two-person play. Effects are just incredible; it looks and feels like it was shot on location in space. Plus, there's a nice little smile near the beginning as a familiar voice graces another space epic. Highly, highly recommended. See it in IMAX 3D if you can.
  29. Oct 5, 2013
    Gravity is an amazing movie. It's also the tensest film I've ever seen, and movies rarely ever make me tense. I'm almost certain Sandra Bullock will win an Oscar. If it doesn't win the visual effects Oscar I'd also be very surprised about that. I do have some caveats however. The story felt too minimalistic for me. It's basically a survival tale set in space. There's nothing wrongGravity is an amazing movie. It's also the tensest film I've ever seen, and movies rarely ever make me tense. I'm almost certain Sandra Bullock will win an Oscar. If it doesn't win the visual effects Oscar I'd also be very surprised about that. I do have some caveats however. The story felt too minimalistic for me. It's basically a survival tale set in space. There's nothing wrong with that but just think of what could have been. Despite these problems the movie is so tense, so atmospheric, and so visually impressive that it would be crazy to not catch it in theatres. I'd place it up there with Avatar, District 9, and Inception. Expand
  30. Mar 18, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie is a disgrace to science. None of the writers heard of inertia? Bullock wouldn't have made it out of the opening scenes. I haven't seen a movie this bad since Buckaroo Banzai. Clooney was horrible and so care-free about dying. CGI and one cliff hanger after another. Horrible script. This movie is everything thats wrong with society. If I could give this movie a negative numerical rating, I would. If you love sic-fi, pass this movie by. Expand
  31. Oct 13, 2013
    Good cinematography aside (which you might eventually just stop noticing sadly enough) everythign else is shallow and token. The characters, the plot, the acting, the action, the theme, nothing stands out. The movie relies on it's setting to thrill and at times it does but much like everything else in the movie it groes tiresome fairly quickly. Let's see what else to say? There's a partGood cinematography aside (which you might eventually just stop noticing sadly enough) everythign else is shallow and token. The characters, the plot, the acting, the action, the theme, nothing stands out. The movie relies on it's setting to thrill and at times it does but much like everything else in the movie it groes tiresome fairly quickly. Let's see what else to say? There's a part where Sandra Bullock barks like it dog (no it only somewhat makes sense in context) and that was the moment where i realized the 10.50 i paid for the screening was 10.50 too much. The minority character dies almost instantly (and in a super gruesome manner) because hey, every other hollywood movie treates minorities poorly, why not an Oscar hopeful one too? The 3D was actually pretty token and desperate. Want good 3D, go see Avatar or Dredd or Oz, certainly not Gravity. Expand
  32. Oct 4, 2013
    Honestly, this was the best movie I've seen in a very very long time. Gravity is easily the most beautiful and realistically terrifying movie out there. From the very beginning until a few minutes after the credits began to roll, I found my self on the edge of my seat clinging desperately to my chair as if I were holding on for dear life. The film making was superb, the acting wasHonestly, this was the best movie I've seen in a very very long time. Gravity is easily the most beautiful and realistically terrifying movie out there. From the very beginning until a few minutes after the credits began to roll, I found my self on the edge of my seat clinging desperately to my chair as if I were holding on for dear life. The film making was superb, the acting was brilliant, and the visuals were every bit out of this world. Gravity is a masterpiece, plain and simple. Expand
  33. Nov 22, 2013
    This movie is atrocious. Sandra Bullock wailing like a dog at the controls of a spaceship?? The writers of this nonsense should be ashamed of themselves. Absolute Rubbish
  34. Oct 5, 2013
    somehow i am missing what makes this great. the 3d in space is wonderful. the story is about as exciting as sandra b.'s acting. it's not that it's terrible, but there's very little to it. and g. clooney's character is a joke.
  35. Oct 5, 2013
    Maybe I went into this (because of the critic reviews) with artificially high hopes, but this movie just didn't do it for me. .I am a Sci-Fi fanatic, and while the visuals were stunning and gave you the feeling of really being in space (I saw in 3D), the story just didn't match up IMHO. I also wished there had been more George and less Sandra (no, I'm not in love with him LOL hisMaybe I went into this (because of the critic reviews) with artificially high hopes, but this movie just didn't do it for me. .I am a Sci-Fi fanatic, and while the visuals were stunning and gave you the feeling of really being in space (I saw in 3D), the story just didn't match up IMHO. I also wished there had been more George and less Sandra (no, I'm not in love with him LOL his character was much more interesting). See the new Riddick instead (if you haven't already). This one is forgettable. Expand
  36. Oct 8, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Bottom line this movie is overrated. It's not worth the money. Boring. The same thing happens over and over again, space debris and spinning out of control in space. Some weird music too. I think it was a cheap way for the two big actors to make money for the holiday's and based off these ratings they will sadly. Expand
  37. Oct 16, 2013
    The summer of bummers. Yes, it's fall now, but this will be the year that had an astonishing amount of clunker movies that were highly anticipated and overhyped, with the good ones passing through with little attention. "Despicable Me 2" was an exception, as Gru and the Minions were once again delighting audiences with the funniest animated movie of the year, and given theThe summer of bummers. Yes, it's fall now, but this will be the year that had an astonishing amount of clunker movies that were highly anticipated and overhyped, with the good ones passing through with little attention. "Despicable Me 2" was an exception, as Gru and the Minions were once again delighting audiences with the funniest animated movie of the year, and given the minions' popularity, we'll see more of those little yellow guys.
    "Gravity" is a movie of polar opposites. 3-D mavens are all over this space tale, and the effects and Earth shots are indeed spectacular, although I would imagine Sandra Bullock's 3-D underwear has as many admirers. For those of us expecting more real suspense besides one crisis and idiotic break after another, "Gravity" is a loser.
    Gone is any earthbound activity, making the movie almost a Bullock solo act, ala Castaway. Not that she's not a good actress, far from it. But what we get are giant dialogue cliches piled high and deep, two very conveniently located space stations that just happen to be right by in the same orbit, and a soundtrack meant to inspire that instead overdoes it to the point of hurling. For all the work that went into the premise, to allow the plot and dialogue to resemble other "heroic" movies long on visuals and pathetic on plot, like "Independence Day", is baffling.
    Space is a very mysterious unknown, and there should be a free reign of imagination that knows no limits. While we may tire of aliens, there's enough real stuff out there radioactivity, gama rays, etc. that should provide plenty of fodder for a much more believable situation.
    What a galactic cliche.
  38. Oct 5, 2013
    This memorizing and thrilling sci-fi extravaganza is the perfect example of what pure movie magic is all about. From its captivating cinematography, to its superb acting, riveting production design, and exceptional use of 3D, Gravity is a terrifyingly accurate portrayal of lifelessness in the outer reaches of space and the sheer determination and struggle to grasp onto hope in the mostThis memorizing and thrilling sci-fi extravaganza is the perfect example of what pure movie magic is all about. From its captivating cinematography, to its superb acting, riveting production design, and exceptional use of 3D, Gravity is a terrifyingly accurate portrayal of lifelessness in the outer reaches of space and the sheer determination and struggle to grasp onto hope in the most hopeless, and virtually most helpless of scenarios. Being quite arguably one of the most remarkable outings in the history of film, Gravity cements itself as being an achievement in almost every aspect of both its genre and filmmaking in general. There is no doubt in my mind that Gravity is a once in a generation accomplishment that will be talked about and regarded as an inspiration for many ages to come. Expand
  39. Oct 4, 2013
    A beautiful and also terrifying look into the vast and majestic Universe beyond the safety of our world. A fantastic movie, that executed every aspect almost flawlessly. Actually, it wasn't just a movie, it was experience. Cinematography was absolutely astonishing, soundtrack was beautiful, acting was fantastic, and the visuals... The visuals were one of the best I've ever seen. DirectorA beautiful and also terrifying look into the vast and majestic Universe beyond the safety of our world. A fantastic movie, that executed every aspect almost flawlessly. Actually, it wasn't just a movie, it was experience. Cinematography was absolutely astonishing, soundtrack was beautiful, acting was fantastic, and the visuals... The visuals were one of the best I've ever seen. Director Alfonso Cuarón outdone himself once again.
    I cannot recommend this enough, for every thriller, drama or scifi fan, this movie is a must watch.
  40. Oct 11, 2013
    If you are seeing this movie, you MUST see it in IMAX 3D if possible. This is one of the handful of movies that must be seen in 3D.

When I first saw a previews for this movie, I was so sure it would be bad. I have never been more wrong about a film in my life. Everything about this movie is phenomenal. The acting is Oscar worthy, the sound design is flawless, and the visuals are spectacular. Gravity has a fairly simple story, but that is clearly by design. The character that Sandra Bullock plays appears relatively shallow, but in reality is so deep, SHE is the story. Especially in 3D, the movie pulls the viewer into the character, almost literally, and never lets go. You feel every emotion the character feels, including the absolute dread when you know something bad is going to happen. Your heart and mind alike race when the terrifying situations come about. I have to warn though, that if you suffer from any sort of anxiety, you might want to think twice about seeing this movie. I saw this with my wife, who has anxiety, and while she absolutely loved the movie, it was too much to handle at some points. This is not a film for the feint of heart. Either way, this movie will definitely be getting Oscar nominations. This is a must see film. Do yourself a favor though, and splurge on the IMAX 3D. You won't regret it.
  41. Oct 4, 2013
    “Gravity” is a film that must first be seen on a 3D movie theatre screen and even better if it is an IMAX screen! What director Alfonso Cuaron and his production crew, partially consisting of director of photography Emmanuel Lubezki, editors Alfonso Cuaron and Mark Sanger along with production designer Andy Nicholson, special effects supervisors Neil Corbould and Manex Efrem, visual“Gravity” is a film that must first be seen on a 3D movie theatre screen and even better if it is an IMAX screen! What director Alfonso Cuaron and his production crew, partially consisting of director of photography Emmanuel Lubezki, editors Alfonso Cuaron and Mark Sanger along with production designer Andy Nicholson, special effects supervisors Neil Corbould and Manex Efrem, visual effects supervisor Tom Webber, have done in this film are things you have never seen in a movie before and the recurring thought running through your mind, if not said out loud, is “How did they do that?”

There is a screenplay by Alfonso and Jonas Cuaron while actors Sandra Bullock and George Clooney are the leads but their star power doesn’t stand a chance against a teardrop floating off of the screen. What is basically a two hander turns into a performance of Bullock competing against space and charismatic Clooney is probably one of the very few actors who could pull off one of his later scenes.

There have been many space travel, sci-fi, astronaut movies and variations of all, but there has never been a movie like “Gravity” that takes you from minutes of absolute silence where you imagine you hear things to a terrifying sequence where space debris is hurled at scientist Ryan Stone (Bullock) and mission commander Matt Kowalski (Clooney) and you see and hear the consequences.

Hundreds of miles from earth we see space up close, from a distance, through the eyes of a face in a helmet to the couple seeming to dance in slow motion against the stars and the sky. To tell you anything about the movie, from a pen floating in a spaceship to Matt commenting on how beautiful the sun coming up on the horizon is, would all just have to be marked with big SPOILERS.

“Gravity” isn’t an emotional involving movie but you will sit in awe and wonder as it engages the brain. This film defines the magic of movies and has taken it further tech wise than ever done before. You will want to see it again and again to figure out how scenes were done and that’s what the DVD will be for but you have to see it on the big 3D screen first.
  42. Oct 16, 2013
    One of the best movies I've ever seen! Non stop intensity throughout the whole film! With 3D it felt like I was actually there with them. The visual effects and cinematography are some of the best I've seen. Will be really upset if this doesn't win some awards at the Oscars this upcoming year.
  43. Oct 12, 2013
    GiantMidget, you have hit the nail right on the head. I entered the movie expecting to be amazed by the effects of gravity, but I was sadly disappointed until the final 5 minutes. I may as well have just watched all the previews and left, as they contained more gravity than the entire movie itself. Not impressed.
  44. Oct 23, 2013
    Cinema is the most thrilling and easy art ever, because you can show a picture and at the same time tell a story.

What define a great movie I think this is the question you need to ask you, when you want to go and watch GRAVITY. If you define great movie by just the quality of the picture, MEN that's the best movie ever! But if you are not deaf (no offense), you'll define a great

But if you are not deaf (no offense), you'll define a great movie by the quality of the photography, the way the characters are built, the emotions going thru them, the sensations and the feeling coming from the situations (the music, etc), the story and the message of the movie.

But i'm sorry, here only 1 of these things pull it out [the quality of the picture]. The rest is just lacking so badly.

I wish I could tell how this movie is awesome, but that wouldn't be true... at all.

I'm not going to repeat the lack of acting, the bad characters construction, the over-dramatic clichés (family picture floating around, foetus position floating in space and giant position to stand up at the end of the movie showing up how you can thrive through adversity), the biggest baddest day ever of the unluckiest person (not) on earth; but tell you about the biggest disappointment of this movie...
    There's no feelings, not a single moment of emotions from the spectators, no tears coming, no fear and anxiety, you just sit there waiting for something crazier than the last 5 minutes to happen again and again.

I wish I went out of the theater with a little panic attack... but no, I just went back home and wrote this, because I was just disappointed. You can get a 10 better movies with about almost the same subject but way better, form the past 10 years; if you prefer video games go buy MassEffect 2 and just play the first 10 minutes, you'll have a better experience than the 1 hour and 30 minutes of Gravity.

Last words Almost big studios, almost, you'll not get me so easily. Stop trying to refer and count only on award winners.
  45. Oct 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I have never walked out of an IMAX film until this one. It was so unbelievably corny and just plain wrong I couldn't stand it. After Clooney's character died because the movie disregarded the law of which it was named after I was done with it. Should have been called "Open Water: In Space" Expand
  46. Oct 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The movie is way to predictable and boring. Though it may look cool, it is lacking a good plot and is over all a very poorly made film. The movie starts out interesting because it is a completely new idea but as the story progresses the movie starts to get dull and boring. This is because it is missing a proper climax and everything is way to predictable. One other mistake is killing off george cloony which meant adding to how boring the film was, they even try to bring him back but it was just not good enough and they did not put enough effort to making a good film instead they put out a lot of effort into advertising the film by using two famous actors. Not a good watch and i would definitely never watch it again Expand
  47. Nov 9, 2013
    Touching, funny, involving, human, simple, direct. This is perfect cinema. Utterly convincing, almost to the extent of making me queasy, though I soon got my space legs, Gravity makes maximum use of sound and vision.

Just remember to breathe!
  48. Oct 24, 2013
    I got back into my metacritic account after a long time because of my disappointment in the movie. First, this movie is hit hard in the lacking of a good script and one thing that I despise is cheesiness unfortunately this movie is loaded with awkward, goofy screenwriting many will disagree with this and that's fine. But I guarantee many of you out there saw this and saw beyond its veryI got back into my metacritic account after a long time because of my disappointment in the movie. First, this movie is hit hard in the lacking of a good script and one thing that I despise is cheesiness unfortunately this movie is loaded with awkward, goofy screenwriting many will disagree with this and that's fine. But I guarantee many of you out there saw this and saw beyond its very amazing cinematography and visuals which are the small bit of praise I will give for Gravity. Now to move to the acting and the characters, first off the acting was limited, it was much of just sandra bullock and unfortunately this isn't her best performance, not necessarily her fault here though. The fault lies in what I see as TERRIBLE characters and story to boast. I am someone who gets fully engrossed in a movie emotionally and its not a hard thing for me to usually do. This movie was just bland, if you look past the fantastic visuals and cinematography what you get is a story with a bland character and a couple moments of George Clooney being George Clooney. I am an avid movie goer and lover of movies, I don't hate on movies much but I was so disappointed in this movie due to the high metacritic score (usually a good sign in my opinion) but I seriously thought this was complete trash. Expand
  49. Jan 19, 2014
    For a movie that prides it self on accuracy, it seems to have none. Even if you take the whole intro for granted, there was a scene that pissed me off (spoliers) ---->

When she gets caught in the station and captures the other astronaut there is something pulling them away. Do they not understand the conecpt of zero G, there is nothing pulling anyone, like really come on. You could at least make a plot that didn't have as many holes as this

end of spoilers TLDR non realistic unnecessarily full of plot holes
  50. Oct 9, 2013
    This is a very good movie. The first 30 minutes is outstanding. George Clooney delivers a great performance, and nearly steals the movie. The script and the production values are AAA. I actually like Sandra Bullock as a film actress, but she could have added more depth based on her character arc in the script.
  51. Oct 6, 2013
    "Gravity" is a directors film though and through. Alfonso Cuaron does a magnificent job of creating the feeling of being in space. When I was watching this movie, I really felt like I was drifting through space much like the characters as they tumbled and twirled around in the vast emptiness of the unknown. There’s a lot of quiet and somber moments in this film, mostly with the characters"Gravity" is a directors film though and through. Alfonso Cuaron does a magnificent job of creating the feeling of being in space. When I was watching this movie, I really felt like I was drifting through space much like the characters as they tumbled and twirled around in the vast emptiness of the unknown. There’s a lot of quiet and somber moments in this film, mostly with the characters floating around and just talking about their life. However, it’s always absorbing. As you’re drawn into the experience, you feel as if you are there with the characters witnessing everything first hand. The cinematography is quit brilliant and is a major factor in giving the sense of being in space. The camera masterfully spins and turns weightlessly in a way that it would in space without giving a dizzying feeling. My breath was also taken away a few times from the sheer beauty of some of the shots and how they were composed.

The script on the other hand is quit good as well. The story of letting go and moving on is handled well with a lot of attention to visual story telling. It gives us a real sense of the terrors and loneliness of space, a place were our screams can’t be heard. The themes of letting go are handled very well as we see the characters learn and grow. My gripe with the script would have to do with the dialogue. Some of the things the characters say either take me out of the film at times or make me feel like its unnecessary. The dialogue also sometimes felt like a crutch as it sometimes stated the obvious.

The cast is incredibly small, but it is no short of big names. George Clooney as Matt Kowalski gives a solid performance. Kowalski is a typical quick talking charmer that Clooney is so accustomed to playing, but the character does provide some of the lighter moments in the film. The real standout is Sandra Bullock as Ryan Stone. Ryan has a hard time letting go of the past as she had a terrible tragedy befall her. Bullock plays the character well with little quirks of uncertainty and gives us a very likable character that we can all cheer for.

Visually, this film is stunning and a treat for the eyes. From one jaw-dropping shot composition to the next, I was almost always in awe of what I was seeing. Space looked incredibly real and Cuaron and crew made everything look so seamless. The score isn’t bad either. It’s usually quiet, but when something goes down, it really aids in the terror and urgency of the situation. Not only that, but it can also be powerfully moving and uplift as well.

Overall, from a technical stand point, “Gravity” is a masterpiece. I was almost always in awe of what I was seeing and a lot of the credit goes to Alfonso Cuaron. He really gave us an experience that heightened our senses. From masterful cinematography to stunning visual effects, it is a treat for the eyes. Wonderful and unique shots are spread throughout this film and I really fell like I’ve never seen anything like this before. The only complain I have for this film is the dialogue. While interesting, I felt it didn’t fit well all the time with what we were watching. This movie was at its best when it was quiet. I give it an incredibly high 4/5, an experience.
  52. Mar 2, 2014
    Meteor hit every station as soon as Bullock reach it, and of course there are russian and chinese stations floating around and you can reach those with fire extinguisher.
    The story is totally cheap and even stupid and dumb. This is NOT a Sci-Fi but someone's not really good imagination.
  53. Oct 9, 2013
    Mala por donde se la mira, George Clooney hace un papel de payaso insoportable, es una película que no te deja nada, ademas de las carencias por parte de los analistas y asesores con respecto al comportamiento de las "cosas" en el espacio, la película carece de dialogo, se trata de inventarles un perfil a los personajes pero no se logra. Se abusa del retoque digital en Sandra BullockMala por donde se la mira, George Clooney hace un papel de payaso insoportable, es una película que no te deja nada, ademas de las carencias por parte de los analistas y asesores con respecto al comportamiento de las "cosas" en el espacio, la película carece de dialogo, se trata de inventarles un perfil a los personajes pero no se logra. Se abusa del retoque digital en Sandra Bullock teniendo mejor cuerpo que una mujer de 20 años. Quien le dio tan buena critica? Expand
  54. Oct 11, 2013
    This is literally the best movie I have ever seen. There is so much to love. I have never left a theater speechless before. But I did that night, and I could not speak for at least half an hour afterwards.
  55. Oct 20, 2013
    Space... the final frontier... of near death and thrilling situations.
    That summs the movie up. If we left out the jaw dropping ambiance,
    scenery and cinematography. When the first cut in this movie happened I clapped. Wanna know why? Because it doesn't happen till 3 minutes into the movie when the satellite debry starts cutting through dudes faces. That is masterpiece editing done by
    Space... the final frontier... of near death and thrilling situations.
    That summs the movie up. If we left out the jaw dropping ambiance,
    scenery and cinematography. When the first cut in this movie happened I
    clapped. Wanna know why? Because it doesn't happen till 3 minutes into
    the movie when the satellite debry starts cutting through dudes faces.
    That is masterpiece editing done by the proud Mexican (I'm Mexican)
    Alfonso Cuarón. The flowing of every scene is smooth but tense at the
    same time. You gasp for air and control when you are put in Bullock's
    point of view while she spins into the nothingness of space. And those
    scenes last... and are absolutely beautifully choreographed. The tense
    atmosphere that Cuarón achieves doesn't let go of you until the last
    second of the movie for you to realize how sweaty you are. The script
    and dialogue aren't something to be amazed about, but the acting makes
    up for it. The charm and charisma of Clooney are entertaining and you
    really believe some of the scenes done by Sandra Bullock who plays this
    really unlucky (but at the same time lucky?) astronaut. Cuarón achieves
    greatness with eye popping visuals and a surprisingly low (for the
    things you experience in the movie) budget and that is something you
    don't see that often. I can really see some Oscar statues in Cuaron's
    pocket in 2014.
  56. Nov 9, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The negative reviews here are baffling. Truly baffling. A lot of them are saying "there's no plot". Well what exactly are we looking for here? Debris from a destroyed satellite impacts upon a small-scale mission above Earth and we then follow in near real-time an attempt by the survivors to return to Earth. So we spend about 90 minutes in that situation and what happens is what happens. How much of a character arc can we really expect?

Other comments are like this :
    "Bad acting". Utter drivel.
    "Sets feminism back with a female character who just panics and hyperventilates". WTF?

I think I'd panic, too. A lot.

Clooney's character was calm because this wasn't his first rodeo. Bullock's Ryan was on her first trip out. She's set adrift in space without a way to take control and that caused her to panic. A lot. Seems reasonable. It had nothing to do with her gender. Nothing in this film is concerned with gender. It's absolutely ludicrous to try and make an argument that this film is diminishing feminism.

One of the '0' reviews I read said that people who are raving about the film are too embarrassed to say they don't like it because they've bought into the hype. Honestly, I'd say it was the other way around. These reviewers are determined not to like this film.

It's clear that I'm very much in favour of this film.
    You should see it for yourself.
    When you do, remind yourself of the strongly negative opinions and try and relate them to what you've just seen. You should logically conclude that the negative reviews are, as I said, baffling.

If you find yourself agreeing with the bizarre negativity, then re-read this and know that now I'm complaining about you. Yes, you. You baffle me.
  57. Oct 4, 2013
    Gravity may be the Jaws of this generation. Right from the start, this movie's straightforward premise grips its audience and doesn't let go until the credits roll.

The best aspect of Gravity is its cinematography, which is masterfully done and chock-full of long takes (a favorite of mine). The worst aspect is its story, which screams with suspense but lacks any real depth. I was expecting more, even from a sci-fi action thriller. We're offered just a taste of the kinds of lives the main characters live and, as a result, sympathize with them only to the extent that we hope they make it out alive. George Clooney plays the same unflappable wise guy he plays in every movie and Sandra Bullock plays a doctor still getting used to the hardships that lie beyond our atmosphere. During a maintenance mission, something bad happens which thrusts the characters into a survival situation. Any further elaborations would seriously constitute spoiling the movie.

If you're looking for a great thrill ride, the price of admission is easily worth it. Gravity consumes you while in the theater, but the lack of complex themes or deeper meaning means that it won't be stirring in your head long after you reach home.
  58. Oct 7, 2013
    I'm not feeling it. This movie was BORING. Thank goodness it was only 90 minutes long since most of that 90 minutes was spent watching Sandra Bullock gasping, grunting, and hyperventilating out in space. There was hardly any plot and zero character development, George Clooney was practically non existent except for a few minutes of "witty repartee" with Bullock at the beginning.I'm not feeling it. This movie was BORING. Thank goodness it was only 90 minutes long since most of that 90 minutes was spent watching Sandra Bullock gasping, grunting, and hyperventilating out in space. There was hardly any plot and zero character development, George Clooney was practically non existent except for a few minutes of "witty repartee" with Bullock at the beginning. Oscar-worthy material? Okay, maybe for special effects. Expand
  59. Oct 12, 2013
    G R A V I T Y MIND BLOWING 3D! VISUALLY EXCITING AND S-C-A-R-Y at the same time. The movie's director Alfonso Curon (harry potter 3'rd part movie), decided to shoot nearly 60% of the movie in 1'st person perspective -and the result is spine chilling. They were times I forgot I was watching a movie in a theater cause it felt like I was out there in space (with SANDRA BULLOCK) spinningG R A V I T Y MIND BLOWING 3D! VISUALLY EXCITING AND S-C-A-R-Y at the same time. The movie's director Alfonso Curon (harry potter 3'rd part movie), decided to shoot nearly 60% of the movie in 1'st person perspective -and the result is spine chilling. They were times I forgot I was watching a movie in a theater cause it felt like I was out there in space (with SANDRA BULLOCK) spinning wildly out of control, without any idea where to go. The 3D is incredible. I HAVE NEVER EXPERIENCE A MOVIE LIKE THIS ON THE BIG SCREEN EVER BEFORE. AND I EMPHASIZE ON EXPERIENCE CAUSE WATCHING THIS MOVIE ON THE BIG SCREEN IS TRULY AN EXPERIENCE THAT NO MOVIE LOVING HUMAN BEING SHOULD EVER MISS. Any one thinking about watching this movie (via download, dvd, blu-ray, clueray blaha blah,) anywhere other than a theater will be a waste for him/her. THis is truly a big screen, 3D tHEATRE MOVIE LIKE NONE BEFORE (even AVATAR didn't give me this experience). as for the story it is thrilling, emotional, along with rock solid performance from SANDRA BULLOCK (she really sinks her teeth into this role physically and emotionally) a solid extended cameo with a heroic, emotional and incredibly charming act from George Clooney!! MUST WATCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 5 STARS RATING LOVED EVERY MINUTE OF THIS 90 MINUTE MOVIE Expand
  60. Nov 17, 2013
    Why is there so much buzz about this movie? It is just a woman breathing into the microphone. The theater audience was half-awake during this movie. I will give 4 points to the stunning visuals in this movie, however.

Summary: Overrated, Boring, Visually Fantastic
    Grade: 36%
  61. Oct 15, 2013
    The cinematography and effects were astounding, and Sandra Bullock does a great job in her role. The more action-like scenes were gripping, and you just can't help but feel fear for the character's that you just met. The director did a great job not forcing suspense, but creating it quite naturally.
  62. Nov 14, 2013
    A rather incredible film in all honesty. A wonderful balance of persistent tension and sudden shock, coupled with constantly breathtaking visuals, Gravity would be the perfect film but for the rather cheesy, Buzz Lightyear-type peformance from Clooney.
  63. Nov 19, 2013
    Amazing to look at, and one of the most (if not the most) suspenseful films I've ever seen. It's truly "edge-of-your-seat" entertainment. Unfortunately, lines like "No one's going to pray for my soul....I've never prayed. No one ever taught me how. No one ever taught me how" (and there are a few) take away from the experience. You can't tell me that a film with basically one actor doesn'tAmazing to look at, and one of the most (if not the most) suspenseful films I've ever seen. It's truly "edge-of-your-seat" entertainment. Unfortunately, lines like "No one's going to pray for my soul....I've never prayed. No one ever taught me how. No one ever taught me how" (and there are a few) take away from the experience. You can't tell me that a film with basically one actor doesn't need strong dialogue. Expand
  64. Nov 9, 2013
    There is a reason this movie is averaging 96 in Critic Scores and 8.3 in User Scores; It's is a cinematic masterpiece.

I will accept any scores in the range of 7-10 as being reasonable, anything in the green basically, but anyone that is scoring this film lower than a 7 and especially those people giving it 0, 1, 2, 3 etc are just being ridiculous and really shouldn't be allowed to post reviews and ratings in my opinion.

Trust me; this is a film that everyone who enjoys cinema should go and see and if it turns out you don't enjoy this film then trust me, you probably need to have a serious think about how you look at the world and interpret things in it because your take on reality is seriously distorted.

It's not "perfect" but I can't really find any genuinely good reason I'd drop it a full point that I'd feel right about, and certainly not just to appease those types of people who think "no film is 'perfect' so no film should score a 10" or whatever, so I might as well give it 10 because to me in this case I think it's basically earned it and to be totally honest, I'd also like to see that average User Score just a little higher too.

This film is brilliant and thank God the majority of people are smart enough to actually understand why and acknowledge it's greatness.
  65. Oct 14, 2013
    The film is an outstanding success on many levels. The cinematography is phenomenal. You can't help but be deeply immersed in what''s happening. The debris look as if they are coming directly at you. You can feel the desperation in Sandra Bullock's character. This intense feeling wouldn't have been possible if not for the cinematography, as well as Alfonso Cuarón's masterful directing.The film is an outstanding success on many levels. The cinematography is phenomenal. You can't help but be deeply immersed in what''s happening. The debris look as if they are coming directly at you. You can feel the desperation in Sandra Bullock's character. This intense feeling wouldn't have been possible if not for the cinematography, as well as Alfonso Cuarón's masterful directing.

Then there's the acting. George Clooney gives a great performance, but it's Sandra Bullock that truly shines. She gives what is perhaps the most brilliant performance of her career as Dr. Ryan Stone, a woman who lost her daughter in a schoolyard accident, tries to commit suicide amid the hopelessness of her situation, then, in the face of inevitable death, finds the will to survive and live. She deserves, at least, an Oscar nomination for this role.

However, i believe that if a movie is to be considered a classic, like this one is currently being hailed as, It needs to stick in your head for many years after viewing it. And for that, it needs to have many things. One of them, like memorable visuals, the movie does have in spades.

But it doesn't make you see the world in a different light. The movie is about hope, and yet it's message doesn't sink in like in other films with similar subject matter, such as The Shawshank Redemption. It isn't thought-provoking. Dr. Ryan Stone feels underdeveloped. Only Sandra Bullock's exceptional performance breathes life into that bland character, and that bland character is a result of poor dialogue and way-too-simple plot. The score isn't that good as well.

Overall, i really really liked this film. It's technically fantastic. Sandra Bullock is awesome. But you need more than that to create a classic. A little bit overrated.
  66. Nov 25, 2013
    If *anything* goes wrong in space... ANYTHING? You are doomed. This story is so realistically filmed that I left the theater thinking, "we will never send a man to mars..." Wish they'd added a bit more backstory on all of the astronauts, but otherwise loved it.
  67. Oct 11, 2013
    This is a really great movie, very intense and emotional throughout the entire movie. The acting is spot on from everyone, and the visuals are very stunning. My only complaint is that the movie is on the short side. Anyone who likes thrillers will love this movie. Anyone interested in space will probably lose their desire to go to space.
  68. Oct 26, 2013
    I just don't get why everyone has a hard on for this movie. There are no interesting characters, Sandra Bullock is about as boring as an astronaut can get, not to mention her complete inability to handle a situation. Her performance is lack luster to say the least, I guess "oscar winning" performances can go to people screaming and gasping fro breath for 60 minutes. The only real personI just don't get why everyone has a hard on for this movie. There are no interesting characters, Sandra Bullock is about as boring as an astronaut can get, not to mention her complete inability to handle a situation. Her performance is lack luster to say the least, I guess "oscar winning" performances can go to people screaming and gasping fro breath for 60 minutes. The only real person that has any value in the movie is Clooney who is also non existent throughout the film. The only thing I praise about this movie is the CGI, there isn't really anything else satisfying about this movie. Expand
  69. Oct 10, 2013
    Gravity is an incredible film. Absolutely incredible. Peerless in direction, Gravity features career defining performances from Bullock and Clooney, absolutely stunning, top-notch special effects and incredibly effective drama that brings this seemingly simplistic idea and narrative to life. But above all, Gravity is the most fantastic space movie ever made.

Gravity is filled with

Gravity is filled with visual splendor, and packed with layers of metaphor and meaning (much of which I am still debating with colleagues on)! I haven't come out of a film for a long while equally blown away and perplexed, in a good way of course. I love films that are appreciable by both audiences: those looking for entertainment (Which they will receive in spades), and those looking for a film that transcends being a film in the sleekest of ways. Other elements of the film are peerless; the cinematography is beautiful, the minimalist score is effective, and the sound design is perfected.

It's hard to describe my feelings towards Gravity without abusing my "positive adjective" collection, but I'll just say the Gravity is pretty darned close to perfect. It's original, intense and very entertaining. It's also highly re-watchable with a purpose; it's packed with genius and beauty.

This is one perilous journey I personally want to experience over and over, deciphering it's layers and themes. It will forever stick in my memory. A one of a kind, incredibly exceptional experience.

Side note: 3D usage transcends Avatar and my personal favorite of the summer Pacific Rim. It's essential to the experience, and proves to be one of the finest in-theater experiences ever.
  70. Oct 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. When I saw a 95 score I said wow! When I SAW the movie I said bow-wow! I am resigned to the fact the only movies being made are special effects, chick flicks and teen hormones gone wild. When you step back and assess what you saw you realize it was a well done National Geographic special with pretenders(actors) No outstanding performances., no imaginative plot. A couple of government space wanderers get in "over" their heads and through the miracle of movies, one survives. The only thing that bothers me more than the $13 we paid was the MILLIONS Clooney and Bullock "accepted" to basically play space puppets. SHAME on them and me for giving them my Expand
  71. Oct 9, 2013
    Few movies manages to resist the urge to simply go a big and load as possible to add dramatic effect; Gravity is a master at doing a lot with as little as possible. From the eerie sounds of being in space to the disorientation of spinning out of control, the atmosphere in Gravity is everything. As someone who is skeptical of 3-D, this is one movie where it really does add much to theFew movies manages to resist the urge to simply go a big and load as possible to add dramatic effect; Gravity is a master at doing a lot with as little as possible. From the eerie sounds of being in space to the disorientation of spinning out of control, the atmosphere in Gravity is everything. As someone who is skeptical of 3-D, this is one movie where it really does add much to the experience and left me feeling that it is best seen as such. There are some cheesy scenes, courtesy of George Clooney, but they do much to add levity to what Sandra Bullock shows as a traumatic and horrifying scenario. All in all, Gravity left me with some of the most memorable and intense scenes I've seen in a movie while doing so little. Expand
  72. Nov 14, 2013
    Gravity is by far the best movie I have seen in years. The special effects ate awesome, the suspense is killer, and the action leaves you stunned. Gravity will earn several Oscars, at least in special effects. And if you do see it, make sure it's in 3D, otherwise you won't enjoy it nearly as much.
  73. Oct 26, 2013
    Incredible special effects including what was done to Bulloch's body. Watch on IMAX 3-D. Everything else in the movie was ridiculous. This is not a science fiction movie but a summer action blockbuster.
  74. Oct 28, 2013
    I'm very disappointed that Metacritic rated this 96? No, not even close! This does not rate up there with the best ever SiFi or space movies ever and that's what 96 infers. There can only be so much drama and thrill building one woman in a space suit can have for 90 minutes and this starts to get old quickly. Worth seeing but nowhere near 96 rating!! Come on Metacritic your better than that?
  75. lcb
    Oct 11, 2013
    I saw this movie in 3D Imax and on the basis of that, I give it a high rating. Had I seen it in a regular format it would not be as high. It is a beautifully shot movie and the special effects are amazing. It is Bullock's movie and she gives a bravura performance. Read a lot of the negative comments about the movie and am amused at how critical they are regarding its realism or lack ofI saw this movie in 3D Imax and on the basis of that, I give it a high rating. Had I seen it in a regular format it would not be as high. It is a beautifully shot movie and the special effects are amazing. It is Bullock's movie and she gives a bravura performance. Read a lot of the negative comments about the movie and am amused at how critical they are regarding its realism or lack of it. Unless they are astronauts, specialists in space engineering or travel, how would they know about its realism and believe-ability? Also, I don't care if they felt Bullock's character appeared weak. Since when do all female characters in movies need to be super heroes. They seem to forget that the Clooney character was an experienced astronaut and she was not. It was her vulnerability and personal story that made her character interesting. I do agree that the plot was simple and I did not find it as thrilling as some did. I doubt that I would have payed the money to see it on a regular screen--just waited for it on subscription TV. I am not a big 3D fan and seldom pay extra to see one, but this was 3D used effectively and was well worth the admission price. Expand
  76. Nov 22, 2013
    a great movie, it sucks you in and keeps you watching for sure. It starts off a little slow at first but the movie flies without you realizing how long it has been playing. Excellent cinematic display and a truly original film. It is nice to have something different from the mediocre trend of movies lately.
  77. Mar 6, 2014
    A pathetic joke !

+ Very good photography, + Very good special effects, + It moves a little for a film in space, + Clooney and Bulloc if you are fans, That's all ! ... +/- Many Oscars, Golden Globes or César ? - No history, - Many physical inconsistencies - No morals or mental reflection, - Pathetic story of sandra Bulloc If we compare with "LOVE" Space time William
    A pathetic joke !

+ Very good photography,
    + Very good special effects,
    + It moves a little for a film in space,
    + Clooney and Bulloc if you are fans,
    That's all ! ...

+/- Many Oscars, Golden Globes or César ?

- No history,
    - Many physical inconsistencies
    - No morals or mental reflection,
    - Pathetic story of sandra Bulloc

If we compare with "LOVE" Space time William Eubank (2011)
    No Newtonian physics problem, No Stars, but a wonderfull movie, a little jewel. and he receive No Oscars, Golden Globes or César ...

Morality : To Have an Oscar is a pathetic Joke !
  78. Nov 15, 2013
    The cinematography is magnificent, the movie certainly has tension, Sandra Bullock does some nice body yoga for the men in the audience but honestly, I found myself caught between boredom and panic, fully knowing what would happen in the end yet spooked by outer space. The hallucination scene with George Clooney was my favorite moment. I'm glad I saw it, but wouldn't see it again.
  79. Nov 16, 2013
    Brilliant movie! Visually stunning, with a storyline that has only two characters, and takes us on a roller coaster ride of suspense for the full length of the running time gets my vote for best movie of the year. Some minor problems with dialogue and character studies, but when I am so fully engaged in the movie that I feel like I am there with the actors, allows me to be forgiving ofBrilliant movie! Visually stunning, with a storyline that has only two characters, and takes us on a roller coaster ride of suspense for the full length of the running time gets my vote for best movie of the year. Some minor problems with dialogue and character studies, but when I am so fully engaged in the movie that I feel like I am there with the actors, allows me to be forgiving of the flaws.

After I left the theater and drove home I could not put on music or talk radio, I needed let the movie stay in my thoughts, uninterrupted, for a while. Another sign of a great movie.
  80. Oct 9, 2013
    There was an article in the LA Times asking if it was the best space movie ever. Let's pause a sec. I know in this day and age we like to say how everything is the best ever but to compare this to 2001 or Star Wars is a bit ridiculous. It does not have the weight (pardon the pun). It is pretty good and quite enjoyable but it is not overly memorable. Some of the devices stretch credibilityThere was an article in the LA Times asking if it was the best space movie ever. Let's pause a sec. I know in this day and age we like to say how everything is the best ever but to compare this to 2001 or Star Wars is a bit ridiculous. It does not have the weight (pardon the pun). It is pretty good and quite enjoyable but it is not overly memorable. Some of the devices stretch credibility as well as the ways the problems are solved. Overall a good movie but let's hold back on the accolades a bit. Expand
  81. Oct 8, 2013
    The only thing that holds this film back from being truly perfect are the limitations that are created by the fact that the characters are in space. Sandra Bullock and George Clooney both do a solid job, particularly Bullock, and Cuaron will certainly blow your mind with his camera movement and directorial choices. This is the most visually spectacular movie I've seen since...well, since IThe only thing that holds this film back from being truly perfect are the limitations that are created by the fact that the characters are in space. Sandra Bullock and George Clooney both do a solid job, particularly Bullock, and Cuaron will certainly blow your mind with his camera movement and directorial choices. This is the most visually spectacular movie I've seen since...well, since I can't remember when. This might be the best looking film I've ever seen. My friend and I raved for 30 minutes about the visual after we saw it, non stop. While there are a few cheesy lines and some of the plot is relegated to exposition, I can't see anyone disliking this film. Expand
  82. Nov 25, 2013
    This is proabably one of the few movies I would recommend seeing in theaters, because the specticle can only be saw in theaters. With a few short comings with its star power (George Clooney) and its pretentious themes. Gravity is an awesome survivor story.
  83. Dec 9, 2013
    Very unimpressed. Terrible acting with a super mediocre story makes for a terrible movie. Beautiful CG can not save this movie from awful actors and terrible story. Movie was so bad that I started falling asleep at around 40 minutes in. Would not recommend watching to anyone.
  84. Nov 10, 2013
    This is a film for the more sensitive among us, and for those that are, this is the closest you will come to actually getting the feelings and sense of being face to face with outer space and death.
    A definite to see at the cinema in 3D, it actually gave me vertigo several times and at the end when I tried to stand up my legs were somewhat jelly like and balance unsure.
    Several have
    Several have commented on the lack of development of the characters, but this for me is not true, and something they are getting confused by because of the unconventional methods of delivering said development. For instance, you learn of the characters through the conversations they are having with each other, and not through being shown a lot through cinematic revealing. This is a purposeful ploy, so that to highlight the secluded nature of outer space, and to place the viewer into the skins of the actors, something I thought worked very well.
    From the moment the film starts we are encouraged to use our ears as well as our eyes to great effect. In the cinema I was in you could have heard a pin drop as the ship approached us for the first time.
    All acting performances were wonderful and the directing superb.
    9 out of 10 for me, losing just one point for a small plot line I thought felt a little tacked on, although I will not mention it hear so as to not give away any spoilers.
  85. Nov 25, 2013
    An visually gorgeous thrill ride. Gravity provides a breathtaking view of the heavens that no other film has been able to provide in decades. Not only is this film a visual showcase, but it's an emotionally draining drama that delivers flawless performances by Sandra Bullock and George Clooney, the script was beautifully written as well. The film's script has been criticized for someAn visually gorgeous thrill ride. Gravity provides a breathtaking view of the heavens that no other film has been able to provide in decades. Not only is this film a visual showcase, but it's an emotionally draining drama that delivers flawless performances by Sandra Bullock and George Clooney, the script was beautifully written as well. The film's script has been criticized for some "cheesy lines," yet, the film Titanic carries some extremely cheesy lines, and that film's script has been hailed as one of the best scripts ever written. This film carries deeper meaning that only those who think about it after seeing it will truly understand. Gravity is an absolute masterpiece, this film will be nominated, if not, win for best picture. If not best picture, then best actress: Sandra Bullock. If not best actress, best special effects. Its a must see. Expand
  86. Nov 17, 2013
    Brilliant movie SFX Are Amazing, Acting is Good, Story Is Interesting, Though lacks in Character Development A Little Bit And it's A Bit Short Other than That It's An Interesting movie
  87. Oct 8, 2013
    The experimental filming style works big time, making you feel immersed in gravity. 3D effects are also incredibly well done. This film would make for the ultimate Universal Studios movie experience (Earthquake/Jaws style). Only negative is the Clooney/Bullock casting could have been better. They were good but not great. Script was also not perfect
  88. Jan 21, 2014
    It's watchable okay, but I wouldn't recommend it for those who wants to watch a movie with action, because it didn't really happen anything big or spectacular in this movie, just small events and boring conversations between the astronauts, my whole family were half-sleeping thought the movie, although that we are big sci-fi fans! The movie had it moments, but they were not long-lasted andIt's watchable okay, but I wouldn't recommend it for those who wants to watch a movie with action, because it didn't really happen anything big or spectacular in this movie, just small events and boring conversations between the astronauts, my whole family were half-sleeping thought the movie, although that we are big sci-fi fans! The movie had it moments, but they were not long-lasted and fell down into a drama-like-boring-conversations. The positive thing about this movie is that it's very well made and that the story is unique, beside the science in the movie, for example that the Chinese station just "fell out of it's orbit" and resulted in destruction and that you freeze instantly when exposed to vacuum, I mean come on, every kid that has an education knows that! and if you don't believe me...just search on the Internet on whats true & false about the science in Gravity!
    Overall is Gravity is a boring movie, even thought the story is great.
    Gravity gets a 5/10
  89. Nov 10, 2013
    A cinematic achievement of this generation! In every aspect Gravity seemed to blow me away. With the amazing visual effects, intense story with many heartfelt scenes and finally that 3D. I wish more movies would capture you in the atmosphere of being in space. I especially loved the first person camera at times when you felt as if you were Sandra Bullock scared in space.
    One movie you
    One movie you must see within the decade! This could be starting point in which other movies will make you feel so captivated within the movie! One of the best movies this year!
  90. Feb 12, 2014
    Plain and simple: Boring. So goddamn boring. Definitely does not deserve any of the hype it received. This movie may as well be called Debris, as that is what causes Sandra Bullock to lose her **** in space. Clooney was the best part of the film, when he's not even in it for that long. Visual effects were good but you might as well play a videogame if you wanted to see pretty visuals. NotPlain and simple: Boring. So goddamn boring. Definitely does not deserve any of the hype it received. This movie may as well be called Debris, as that is what causes Sandra Bullock to lose her **** in space. Clooney was the best part of the film, when he's not even in it for that long. Visual effects were good but you might as well play a videogame if you wanted to see pretty visuals. Not the worst movie of 2013, but certainly not the best. Expand
  91. Mar 6, 2014
    You know when a person in a zombie movie is embarrassing incapable and hysteric? This is the same thing but in space. Along an extensive list of thing that will never happen.

It has a good visual and audio if you don't count the loud music on speaking scene. Is an fairly entertaining bad movie to get some laugh. Don't expect any quality because there is none.
  92. Oct 5, 2013
    This fall came a movie that will change the course of how CGI (Computer Generated Imagery) and special effects are looked at in a movie. Alfonso Cuarón's newest masterpiece, "Gravity" is guaranteed to be a game changer in the film industry.

The film features only three people on screen, two of which being the main characters, Sandra Bullock and George Clooney. Bullock’s character Dr. Ryan Stone has had a bad life with her four year old daughter dying, and her husband leaving her. What she doesn't know is soon, her life is about to get a lot worse. Matt Kowalski (George Clooney) is a middle aged man who we know very little about, only early learning that he is a hilarious laid back character. We watch them spend the first sixth of the movie repairing the Hubble in space, which soon comes to a halt when Russian satellite debris comes toward the astronauts faster than the speed of a gunshot. Sooner than later Bullock is left floating on her own in space, and now we have our movie.

With trailers releasing as early as the start of July, the brilliant film took more than four and a half years to make, most of which was the production and editing. With the opening scene, we have that awkward silence in the theater as the film has no audio demonstrating not a single sound in space. This is another impressive move by Cuarón, most viewers don’t pick up on. He used the quietness of space and put in near heart-pounding scenes. At these times, you could literally hear your own heart beating rapidly during the truly intense times which happened to be the majority of the film. I did happen to take note of a few slow points in the film though.

A couple times in the movie would be one camera angle of the earth, or a shot of Clooney smiling. These shots would last for over a minute. Just a single of these would've been fine, but there was at least three, with the film just barely reaching its 90 minute length. I think that if in a few years someone would ask about Gravity, I hope that no one talks about the acting or story. With this said, I think that the fact that the movie was shot on earth with gravity is the amazing part. It’s breathtaking view and real feel is what people will be talking about. The over 470 person effect crew could've easily made any movie extremely realistic. The fact that it was about space with stars, and the (three person) cast floating, took my respect for them up a large notch.

The plot wasn't unique, being just another film where we watch a character try to survive, like 127 hours. I don't think it would get even close to the score it has been receiving if it took place on earth, or with lower quality effects. There were times that Bullocks acting wasn't very realistic, or there was a flaw in the writing, but other than that I was overly impressed and surprised with the turns the film took, that the trailer didn't show. Gravity is a must see, but only for its flawless effects in IMAX 3D. Don't even bother seeing it on a regular screen because it is nowhere close to the visuals experienced in 3D. Overall I thoroughly enjoyed Gravity, and think that Alfonso Cuarón just earned the respect, and awards he deserves.
  93. Oct 8, 2013
    Intense and gripping! This movie was shot as a simple survival story in space... but I connected to it even more at a much deeper level. The way that the cinematography was shot, I felt I was in space floating with Sandra Bullock's character, Dr. Ryan Stone... that was a technical achievement in itself... But I was also able to feel what it was like to be in the mind of her character
  94. Oct 24, 2013
    I think this movie is a masterpiece and the best use of 3D technology I have seen. Cuaron is an extraordinary director and film maker, I certainly hope he gets the Oscar for best film, I had not enjoyed a movie so much in a long time, I think it will be a landmark for generations. Go see it in 4DX.
  95. Oct 13, 2013
    The movie was amazing and exciting,performoance's sandra bullock was excellent worthy academy awards just 2 words "simply wonderful", it's the best movie have had the film director "Alfonso Cuaron"
  96. Nov 14, 2013
    Implausible plot, implausible characters, weak symbolism. Boring, not tense. Earns a 5 for special effects. Essentially Cast Away in space with less coherent character development.
  97. Oct 29, 2013
    A fantastic, intense and gripping sci-fi film! The camerawork, the visual effects acting and pacing were all perfect, and the two lead roles were really good! I don't know why some people seem to dislike it; It truly is worth seeing.
  98. Oct 29, 2013
    I know that I will get drowned out by almost 900 reviews that have been written by Metacritic users for this film. That just goes to show how popular this film was. I have to repeat what everyone else is chanting: the hype is fully justified, as this is NOT your run-off-the-mill sci-fi movie. This is a movie that excels not only in its mind-blowing special effects, but also in itsI know that I will get drowned out by almost 900 reviews that have been written by Metacritic users for this film. That just goes to show how popular this film was. I have to repeat what everyone else is chanting: the hype is fully justified, as this is NOT your run-off-the-mill sci-fi movie. This is a movie that excels not only in its mind-blowing special effects, but also in its cinematic value. This is, in fact, one of the best movies that has come out in the past five years or so, and is definitely worth a trip to the theater, the 3D glasses, and a large buttered popcorn with a soda. A must-see for all movie goers. Expand
  99. Nov 2, 2013
    i thought that i was having phisic class! great visual effects,sandra bullocks its great.
    Clooney doesn't apear to much but the part that we was acting,was funny.
  100. Nov 8, 2013
    Gripping film with magnificent visuals and a compelling story with an abundant of suspenseful scenes perfectly woven together in this sure-to-be classic

1. Reviewed by: James Mottram
    Nov 3, 2013
    A stunning space saga that takes off for new technical frontiers without leaving its humanity behind.
  2. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Oct 6, 2013
    Gravity is not a film of ideas, like Kubrick's techno-mystical "2001," but it's an overwhelming physical experience -- a challenge to the senses that engages every kind of dread. [7 Oct. 2013, p.88]
  3. Reviewed by: Dana Stevens
    Oct 4, 2013
    This is not to say that Gravity is a masterpiece: Unlike Cuarón’s extraordinary "Children of Men", it doesn’t quite pull off its ambitious effort to combine formal inventiveness, heart-pounding action, and intimate human storytelling. But it succeeds thrillingly at the first two of those categories, and only misses the mark on the last because it tries a little too hard — which is certainly a welcome respite from the countless sci-fi thrillers that privilege the human story not at all.