7.8

1. Oct 6, 2013
    Great movie see in 3d Sandra Bullock is awesome. The special effects were so real. I was on the edge of my seat during the whole movie. It made me think of real astronauts and their missions
  2. Oct 8, 2013
    Breakthrough kind of film. Milestone. Subject of study in Universities of Visual Arts.
    Cuaron is a genius All the things he had to overcome to do this the way he wanted!!...Awesome Bullock in her part.
    It has been some years since the last time we can share at a movie theater a cinematographic experience so organically vividly and in some many different levels, and it will pass some time for the next one.
    Some may say is a simple story, but there are layers if you want to go deep, it´s up to you. You choose. or just relax if you can) and enjoy the most amazing out of this world space trip you'll ever gonna get.
    ( Can't understand critics of physic, astronomy, etc... Its only a movie! Get over it.!. those critics speak for the persons who talked, by the way))
    Pure cinema spirit. Marvelous
  3. May 26, 2014
    Probably the worst movie I've ever seen. It was so boring and horrible acting. I honestly just wanted them to die the entire time, that's how bad this movie was.
  4. Oct 8, 2013
    Sandra Bullock and George Clooney are 2 astronauts who struggle for their lives when their space walk is shattered. The cast is small and the plot is simple, but this film packs a colossal wallop. The groundbreaking effects are truly spectacular (in every sense of the word). Director Alfonso Cuarón has created a dazzling cinematic masterpiece with gripping suspense that never lets up. EvenSandra Bullock and George Clooney are 2 astronauts who struggle for their lives when their space walk is shattered. The cast is small and the plot is simple, but this film packs a colossal wallop. The groundbreaking effects are truly spectacular (in every sense of the word). Director Alfonso Cuarón has created a dazzling cinematic masterpiece with gripping suspense that never lets up. Even with the amazing spectacle of outer space, he and Bullock create an intimate, emotional roller coaster ride. This is a filmmaking at its best. Don't miss it! Expand
  5. Oct 7, 2013
    This movie is all about the visuals. Be sure you see it in 3D. Sandra Bullock is excellent, although somewhat panicky for a highly trained astronaut. Even at the beginning before disaster strikes she is having a panic attack. The astronaut played by Clooney is a stereotype you've seen before, but it doesn't matter as Sandra Bullock is the main focus. You will be asking yourself howThis movie is all about the visuals. Be sure you see it in 3D. Sandra Bullock is excellent, although somewhat panicky for a highly trained astronaut. Even at the beginning before disaster strikes she is having a panic attack. The astronaut played by Clooney is a stereotype you've seen before, but it doesn't matter as Sandra Bullock is the main focus. You will be asking yourself how they are doing the special effects all throughout the film because it looks so real. I was on the edge of me seat the entire time. Expand
  6. Oct 6, 2013
    I'm going to lead by saying that this movie is fantastic, unique, and totally worth your time. However, despite its meager 90 minute length, it was getting stale by the end. You can only put a person's life in danger so many times before it starts feeling scripted. But seriously, Gravity is just phenomenal. I never once noticed an unrealistic zero-gravity scene. In fact, I wasI'm going to lead by saying that this movie is fantastic, unique, and totally worth your time. However, despite its meager 90 minute length, it was getting stale by the end. You can only put a person's life in danger so many times before it starts feeling scripted. But seriously, Gravity is just phenomenal. I never once noticed an unrealistic zero-gravity scene. In fact, I was surprised multiple times by the detail given to the anti-gravity effects. And the camera work! I swear there was a scene that lasted almost ten minutes without a cut! In short, the movie starts out stellar, stays there a while, then slowly declines. Expand
  7. Oct 8, 2013
    This movie is undoubtedly gripping, intense, and exciting, but it is not what I would consider a great movie. The plot is rather limited, and even though the movie has absolutely stunning special effects that cannot change the fact that it lacks much of the plot that I like in movies.

Pros: Incredible effects, every scene is memorable. You'll be on the edge of your seat the entire

Pros:
    Incredible effects, every scene is memorable.
    You'll be on the edge of your seat the entire movie.

Cons:
    Story is rather sparse.
    Some plot points make no sense in scientific context. (minor)
  8. Oct 5, 2013
    Spectacular visuals...almost no need for depth in story. Won't be seen as anything revolutionary in 20 years. I can imagine how it would be in IMAX. Don't see it on a full stomach.
  9. Oct 9, 2013
    Great movie. The cinematography was just out of this world... pardon the pun. The sound and music was captivating and it had the best actor credits I have ever seen. Hate the name though, it should be called lack of gravity. Calling it gravity is misleading and suggests the writer wasn't bright enough to research a better name.
  10. Oct 11, 2013
    This is a visually stunning piece of film making. Clooney and Bullock give their usual strong performances though there's not much character development. Overall this is a very good film, but not a masterpiece. A-
  11. Oct 12, 2013
    Awesome, damn incredible! Special effects are fantastic, when I watched this movie in 3d I always shuddered when scrap was flying to the screen. I strongly reccoment anyone to watch thisd in IMAX theatre you will forget where you are, you will feel yourself in space with brave astronauts. Views of Earth are breathtaking. This movie is not only about how beautiful Earth is, but also aboutAwesome, damn incredible! Special effects are fantastic, when I watched this movie in 3d I always shuddered when scrap was flying to the screen. I strongly reccoment anyone to watch thisd in IMAX theatre you will forget where you are, you will feel yourself in space with brave astronauts. Views of Earth are breathtaking. This movie is not only about how beautiful Earth is, but also about value of life, about force of will, to fight for your life, so please avoid your "hysterical woman" comments. 10 from 10 Expand
  12. Oct 23, 2013
    This film could be summed up in one sentence "The Power of Simplicity", because the script is so simple that if another director surely spoil the movie, but the form is so beautiful Cuaron directed and acted in and takes only ones in the first person what makes the movie very tense but also very entertaining, this sure Sandra Bulock the Bullet film acting in one of his best performancesThis film could be summed up in one sentence "The Power of Simplicity", because the script is so simple that if another director surely spoil the movie, but the form is so beautiful Cuaron directed and acted in and takes only ones in the first person what makes the movie very tense but also very entertaining, this sure Sandra Bulock the Bullet film acting in one of his best performances and possible Oscar nominee, but the best scenes are the ones that George Clooney appears with his ironic way and firm Expand
  13. Oct 17, 2013
    The most incredible cinematic experience of my 39 years alive, by leaps and bounds. As far as I'm concerned this film was flawless. I would like to respond to another reviewer who criticized Sandra Bullock's portrayal of a "hysterical, incapable astronaut". The character she played was not a career astronaut, she was a scientist who trained for basic astronaut aptitude in order to goThe most incredible cinematic experience of my 39 years alive, by leaps and bounds. As far as I'm concerned this film was flawless. I would like to respond to another reviewer who criticized Sandra Bullock's portrayal of a "hysterical, incapable astronaut". The character she played was not a career astronaut, she was a scientist who trained for basic astronaut aptitude in order to go into space for a particular mission and this was her first time in space, engaging in a space walk no less. Regardless, she certainly proved her mettle by the end, didn't she? Sir Edmund Hillary, the first person to ascend Mt. Everest said, "It is not the mountain that we conquer, but ourselves." Sandra's character conquered herself and there is no greater achievement for any human being, in spite of the personality and emotional type they are born with and develop through life. Expand
  14. Nov 8, 2013
    I can't believe the rave reviews this movie is getting. My rating: Special FX 10/10. Story: 0/10. How can you have an entire movie based entirely on special FX? The story is complete rubbish and is held together by the most ridiculously unbelievable plot ever thought of. The characters are shallow and we never learn anything about what drives them. This movie is like a rollerI can't believe the rave reviews this movie is getting. My rating: Special FX 10/10. Story: 0/10. How can you have an entire movie based entirely on special FX? The story is complete rubbish and is held together by the most ridiculously unbelievable plot ever thought of. The characters are shallow and we never learn anything about what drives them. This movie is like a roller coaster ride: all visceral feeling and absolutely no substance. Expand
  15. Oct 22, 2013
    A good movie that tried to show the horrors of space in a more (but not totally) realistic manner. Gravity touches on Sandra Bullock's character having little experience being fast-tracked into space, where everything inevitably goes wrong because of *ahem* the Russians.
    Good cinematography and music do make it an enjoyable watch, but Bullock's portrayal of a completely incompetent astronaut do get annoying I found myself loving the first half of the film, but slowly lost interest even as events rose to a climax.
  16. Oct 13, 2013
    Just...terrific, one of the best movies i ever seen, incredible acting, score, and directed...Most beautiful film ever, must watch...cant breath until now
  17. Oct 17, 2013
    a fun adventure from beginning to end. but i felt that the movie had to many Over Dramatic moments. I will not show any spoiler's but i still do recommend this movie if you like space exploration and that Survival Instinct feeling.
  18. Oct 19, 2013
    While it is enjoyable; I feel it is overrated. The critics reacted as if the movie was truly phenomenal and ground breaking. While the special effects were good, the movie didn't draw me in emotionally as much as I had hoped.
  19. Oct 20, 2013
    Gravity is something new and unexpected that people wanted to see. It makes best use of 3D technology and is awesomely breathtaking. It is crossing 200 million dollars in just two weeks and it hasn't released in UK yet. It will explode the box office. The movie has everything: starting from action, emotions, pranks, jokes, inspiration, and awesome special effects. I enjoyed the whole 91Gravity is something new and unexpected that people wanted to see. It makes best use of 3D technology and is awesomely breathtaking. It is crossing 200 million dollars in just two weeks and it hasn't released in UK yet. It will explode the box office. The movie has everything: starting from action, emotions, pranks, jokes, inspiration, and awesome special effects. I enjoyed the whole 91 minutes period and Gravity has become my favourite movie. Expand
  20. Dec 3, 2013
    How could I possibly like this movie???
    Piece of crap. Nothing more than a lady jumping around in space looking for space station and successfully landed on Earth... but exciting and thrilling.
  21. Dec 24, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Training an astronaut takes a whole lot of time and money. They are trained to deal with all sorts of calamities. How Sandra Bullock even made it through the first day of astronaut school is a mystery. She is in constant panic mode, which really gets utterly annoying after 10 minutes. The movie starts with a botched attempt by the Russians (of course) to shoot down one of their own satellites. Since when is that the way to retire a satellite Every time anybody retires a satellite, it is all over the news. Because it is crashed into the ocean. It is never ever shot down, that is not even technically possible. What is George Clooney doing in this movie Nobody knows, he just...dies, in a pathetic attempt to create heroism. The dialogue is awful all the way. Why is the ISS completely abandoned Why is she sitting there in that pod in her underwear She really is not a looker, she is almost 50, and I swear I could see the cellulitis on her legs. In all, given the utter flatness of her character, who cares if she makes it or not ?
    I simply do not see how this movie can get such a high rating.
  22. Oct 5, 2013
    I had low expectations for this movie but after watching the film, I made a decision to never go to space. Space is a silent and dangerous place to go, that was what I learned after watching Gravity. The movie did an excellent execution of showing the dangers that space holds for it's visitors. The acting of Sandra Bullock was outstanding, the way she would say her lines and the way sheI had low expectations for this movie but after watching the film, I made a decision to never go to space. Space is a silent and dangerous place to go, that was what I learned after watching Gravity. The movie did an excellent execution of showing the dangers that space holds for it's visitors. The acting of Sandra Bullock was outstanding, the way she would say her lines and the way she acts, was such a joy to watch. George Clooney was excellent as well, his like perfect for an astronaut role. He knows that in situations like these, you have to be calm or else your going to die. The visual effects were like out of this world, scenes were ships are being destroyed by asteroids were one of the highlights of the film, because everyone in theatre had their jaws dropped. The movie showed us that giving up is not an option even if your trapped in a situation where escape is impossible and if you do succeed, your considered as an underdog. Gravity was such a good movie and it deserves a very high score. Gravity gets a 10/10 from Jetstar. Expand
  23. Jan 18, 2014
    Gravity is the best movie in years with its brilliant cinematography, terrific score and an ending that is one of a kind. No movie since Avatar has created astonishing visuals that transform a movie into a stunning work of art. Alonso Cuaron has created a cinematic masterpiece that sets a new standard in visual effects.
  24. woo
    Nov 14, 2013
    The special effects really are very good. Sandra Bullock acts well. The storyline is perhaps a little weak, but you are prepared to suspend your disbelief due to the view you get of earth from space. SOme of the coincidences are a little bit Hollywood but overall worth seeing in 3D.
  25. Oct 7, 2013
    Don't see Gravity in hopes of watching Oscar-worthy performances or blinding realism. Instead see Gravity, and I really mean go see Gravity for an hour and a half ride that you really feel a part of. I cannot suggest enough that the ONLY way to see this film is in 3D. I am a complete non-fan of 3D movies they just really don't do it for me and usually detract from the viewingDon't see Gravity in hopes of watching Oscar-worthy performances or blinding realism. Instead see Gravity, and I really mean go see Gravity for an hour and a half ride that you really feel a part of. I cannot suggest enough that the ONLY way to see this film is in 3D. I am a complete non-fan of 3D movies they just really don't do it for me and usually detract from the viewing experience. With Gravity however the entire film is enhanced by the 3D viewing as you really feel like you are floating through space with Bullock especially during the first person camera view scenes. The premise of the movie and several actions within are somewhat farfetched, however if you take the absurd scenes with a grain of salt and emerse yourself in the uncomfortablilty of the situations and the hoplessness of space then you will enjoy yourself for an hour and a half as I did watching this film that pleasantly surprised me. I couldn't recommend it more. Expand
  26. Oct 9, 2013
    This is one of the most visceral, heart-pounding, and, at times, achingly-beautiful movies I've ever seen. It's entirely an superficial experience, and that's ok. However, anyone who compares this to the genius of 2001, apart from its obvious setting, is really stretching. This is not an adult movie, but a movie for the kid in adults and appeals to your base instinks like no other.This is one of the most visceral, heart-pounding, and, at times, achingly-beautiful movies I've ever seen. It's entirely an superficial experience, and that's ok. However, anyone who compares this to the genius of 2001, apart from its obvious setting, is really stretching. This is not an adult movie, but a movie for the kid in adults and appeals to your base instinks like no other.

That said, the story and dialogue is a bit of a cheesefest, obviously dumbed down for a mass, international market. There were a few exceedingly cringe-worthy moments of banter and individual parlance where I and audience members audibly groaned. The movie would have been a ten if all dialogue was removed.
  27. Mar 23, 2014
    the worst filme I whocht I bort on bule ray 3d and it was not in perst at all not whot I acspected at all wood not reck amend it to eney one.dont bye this film 0.0 ot 10
  28. Nov 5, 2013
    This is one of the worst films to come out this year, don't believe all the hype. They got great visuals and put a cheesy terrible story on top of it to try to justify making the film. The director doesn't take a single step into actually developing the characters, but instead casts Bullock is that typical weak female lead. Bullock is also terrible as usual.
  29. Oct 16, 2013
    Loved the movie, but I'm amazed that NOBODY (not the critics or the public) noticed the obvious homage (or maybe parody) of the opening scene in "Barbarella" when Bullock enters the Soyuz station and peels her spacesuit. It's accurate down to the glove removal.
  30. Orw
    Oct 13, 2013
    Saw it yesterday in 3D. It is trully one the most wonderful movies i've seen in my life. And not only because of its astonishing visual landscapes, but also because it has a moving story and two great performances by Sandra Bullock and George Clooney. It was a trip, and only the best kind of movies give you that feeling. Congratulations to Alfonso Cuaron and his co-writers. Gravity is Brilliant.
  31. Dec 14, 2013
    as de sjors was blijvn levn haddekik viele mier puntn heheven. T es deure metakritik da mine moat deine kutfilm wou gn zien. Echt gnen aanrader. Tenzij ge ne nolifer bent
  32. Oct 4, 2013
    Certainly a tremendously appealing film in terms of visuals, and it is full of both suspenseful moments and much-appreciated moments of silence in the emptiness of space. However, the film is hindered by some lousy/cheesy dialogue.
  33. Lyn
    Oct 11, 2013
    Visually delicious; truly amazing special effects. The 3-D experience is engrossing, not just the floating people and elements but the way you almost get used to the stunning outer space views as a backdrop for everything that happens. But I'm sorry: I want to be involved with the characters, too. Sandra Bullock (in yet another bad movie wig!) does OK as a sketchily writtenVisually delicious; truly amazing special effects. The 3-D experience is engrossing, not just the floating people and elements but the way you almost get used to the stunning outer space views as a backdrop for everything that happens. But I'm sorry: I want to be involved with the characters, too. Sandra Bullock (in yet another bad movie wig!) does OK as a sketchily written woman-turned-superwoman. George Clooney has never been less memorable. Neither lingers in the memory as much as the cinematography does. Expand
  34. Mar 15, 2014
    I'm sorry but this film is overrated. It's enjoyable... But overrated. All it is most of the time is Sandra Bullock breathing. Thats pretty much it. There's nothing much to it.
  35. Oct 4, 2013
    Overall this was a great film one of if not the best of the year. Even without the #D the presentation, atmosphere, and characters more than make up for it. This is a must see movie. You will be engaged the whole time. The great cinemphotography goes a long way in making not just a movie but also an experience.
  36. Oct 13, 2013
    Simply stunning. Technically brilliant film making puts you in space as and wonderful writing and acting have you holding your breath along with the characters. An astonishing achievement absolutely not to be missed and should be seen in 3D, which meaningfully adds to the experience.
  37. Oct 18, 2013
    "Gravity" succeeds in being a succinct story told very economically, but directed with a technical know how and precision, that makes it unlike anything else ever committed to screen. Alfonso Cuaron succeeds in creating a sense of wonder and beauty that comes from watching the planet from orbit, but simultaneously the menace of finding oneself without a safety net, and completely lost in a"Gravity" succeeds in being a succinct story told very economically, but directed with a technical know how and precision, that makes it unlike anything else ever committed to screen. Alfonso Cuaron succeeds in creating a sense of wonder and beauty that comes from watching the planet from orbit, but simultaneously the menace of finding oneself without a safety net, and completely lost in a dangerous vacuum. The film also benefits from a fantastic central performance from Sandra Bullock, who is simultaneously vulnerable, fearful, resourceful and dynamic this is truly her best performance ever captured. The wondrous special effects and camera work from Emmanuel Lubezki are unparalleled. The sense of wonder and veracity that is captured by this film make it a veritable classic. Worth watching. Expand
  38. Oct 6, 2013
    I went in with no expectations. I thought it would be a movie about survival in space and it mostly was. But then I realized how much symbolism there was and began to understand its creators meant this to be much more. I may see it again. Think of the whole thing as a metaphor for a persons psychology when dealing with adversity. I don't think most people got that side of it which is aI went in with no expectations. I thought it would be a movie about survival in space and it mostly was. But then I realized how much symbolism there was and began to understand its creators meant this to be much more. I may see it again. Think of the whole thing as a metaphor for a persons psychology when dealing with adversity. I don't think most people got that side of it which is a shame. But even if they don't see it that way it's still entertaining. Look deeper! Expand
  39. Oct 9, 2013
    Lived up to and exceeded my expectations. I am in utter awe of the cinematography and visual effects on this one. Immersive and innovative. A career-best from Sandra Bullock. This was a project of intellect, craftsmanship and dare I say spiritually coming together perfectly as one. I cannot imagine anything topping this for me. I have never seen anything like this, and I'll even soundLived up to and exceeded my expectations. I am in utter awe of the cinematography and visual effects on this one. Immersive and innovative. A career-best from Sandra Bullock. This was a project of intellect, craftsmanship and dare I say spiritually coming together perfectly as one. I cannot imagine anything topping this for me. I have never seen anything like this, and I'll even sound hyperbolic and say that this will be one of the films that defines our generation. A triumph. 10/10. Expand
  40. Oct 5, 2013
    An outstanding film, I felt as if I were tumbling through space with Sandra Bullock and George Clooney. Amazing cinematography, visual effects and a moving storyline, along with strong performances, coalesced into a well-told tale.
  41. Oct 5, 2013
    A movie that is both beautiful and terrifying at the same time. It has everything cinematography, visual effects, acting, screenplay, music and brilliant direction. This is the best film of 2013 for me.
  42. Oct 5, 2013
    Breathtaking, beautiful, and captivating. This is the best space movie I've ever seen. Stop reading these reviews and go see this movie already. The 3D is incredible, make sure to see it in IMAX.
  43. Oct 6, 2013
    'd have to disagree with the 10s. I admit it was fairly good but I'd say it was great on aesthetics, but mediocre on plot. It is very comparable to tom hanks Apollo 13, with the difference being that Apollo 13 had a more interesting plot line and many more interesting characters. I've always liked Bullock but honestly it is difficult to believe her and even more difficult to believe'd have to disagree with the 10s. I admit it was fairly good but I'd say it was great on aesthetics, but mediocre on plot. It is very comparable to tom hanks Apollo 13, with the difference being that Apollo 13 had a more interesting plot line and many more interesting characters. I've always liked Bullock but honestly it is difficult to believe her and even more difficult to believe Clooney as an astronaut. Yes I'm sure it was very expensive to shoot such realistic space scenes and they were very good but in the end I thought the story was somewhat forgettable. Expand
  44. Oct 17, 2013
    Saw this movie on IMAX in 3D. Maybe the most amazing visuals I've ever seen. The sense of actually being in space was breathtaking. If you've ever dreamed of being in orbit yourself, it's worth the price of admission. The story was a little thin, but it was still fast-paced and compelling until the last frame. So beautiful to look at I know I'll see it again while it's still in IMAX!
  45. Oct 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Repetitive.
    The reason why this movie has and 8 for the score is for two reasons: George Cloony, and the special effects.
    Why the movie is repetitive:
    FIrst 30 min: George Cloony gives a great performance, and then gives a cheesy goodbye speech to Sandra bullock, who is a very mediocre actor.
    Middle 30 min: Everything goes to sh*t and there is a loop of the same scene 3 times. It goes like this: Everything is going fine, then something goes wrong, and then the debris comes, and Sandra Bullock saves herself at the last second. This happens at least 3 times in the movie.
    Last 30 min: Sandra Bullock says woof woof to a chinese guy for 10 minutes, and then has a cliche' dream of George Cloony, which allows her to get out of her hopeless situation. Then the movie ends with the typical i-will-push-to-the-end ending, and she arrives on earth as the "only survivor'.
    So typical.
    Pros:
    George Cloony
    Special Effects
    Nice 3D
    Good Directing
    The chinese guy
    Cons:
    Repetitive
    Terrible writing
    Sandra Bullock
    Loops
    The whole movie is filler, this movie could have been half an hour. Its all stretched out.
    Sandra Bullock didnt die.
    A chinese guy that had 10 minutes of audio time gave a better performance than anyone on screen
    There are only two actors.
    Slow
    Pointless
    Spinning
    Heavy Breathing
    George Cloony gave a performance for maybe 20 minutes.
    The whole budget was spent on SFX, and they spent very little for the acting.
    A hollywood sellout movie. Very average and typical
  46. Mar 9, 2014
    Hype hype hype hype hype hype - let it die down a bit then I'll watch it - I thought. Idiot. Forgot the Oscars would dredge it all up again.
    Bit the bullet and sat and watched it. I am finding it hard to compliment this film, or rather which bit was the best of the worst. OK, the effects were OK - the over the top necessity to nudge and re nudge inane objects such as spanners or pipes, while in space, just so the effects guys can work on the inertia and movement to make it look, "natural", as if you wouldn't bat an eye but thought it so smooth it had to be real. OTT. Stop it, get on with making the film you idiots, but when you do can you stop making the 3D bits so bloody obvious. If I want to be blown away with 3D, I'll put my shoes on and go look at the real world, maybe actually interact with things, like you know, touching and smelling? However, when watching films, I do not wish to see a floating screw come spinning towards the camera, blurring out the rest of the frame - only for it to mean NOTHING and not even be in 3D (some of us people at the foot of the entertainment equipment ladder just cant afford, nor would like a 3D television thank you) so why waste my time and place 3D film sections in a 2D film. Lets face it, 99.999% of people who watch this film at home will be doing so on a normal TV!
    Emotionless acting, over the top effects for effects sake, absolutely ridiculous physics and other goofs (I read on IMDB after watching), finalised my views that this film did not deserve at least 2 of the 7 Oscars it won....
    Visual Effects, a couple of scenes where the Earth was reflected on the visor of Bullock, the image did not respond as it should when she rotated her head. Just stuck there when it should have twisted. Poor.
    Cinematography, With great power comes great responsibility. With great budgets comes over the top cinematic, long drawn out panorama's of small things progressively getting bigger as they smoothly glide towards the camera in a never ending slush of emotion and "beauty". YAWN. BOOOOORRRING! I could do better with a disposable stills camera.
  47. Oct 6, 2013
    This is an excellent movie. Let's get this out of the way first: This movie is all about character development. It's actually a character development movie, first and foremost. If you didn't catch that, you weren't paying attention. The effects were over-the-top amazing. I don't know how they filmed it, and I don't want to know. I felt like I was watching cinematic history in the senseThis is an excellent movie. Let's get this out of the way first: This movie is all about character development. It's actually a character development movie, first and foremost. If you didn't catch that, you weren't paying attention. The effects were over-the-top amazing. I don't know how they filmed it, and I don't want to know. I felt like I was watching cinematic history in the sense that this movie will probably be remembered for advancing special effects to a new level, the way 2001 A Space Odyssey did in 1968. Also, Sandra Bullock's acting was phenomenal. She really grows during the film.

I also enjoyed the 'homage' elements, i.e., subtle nods to great space thrillers of the past (notably 2001 and Alien).

About the 3D It was the best I've seen. But that's not saying much. Great 3D is still not that good. It was a fun and interesting effect at times, but mainly it was distracting. I was constantly aware I was watching a 3D movie. It kind of reminds me of what it was like when movies first started experimenting with surround sound. The first time you hear a car come up from behind you and sounds whirling around the theater, it's cool. But it wasn't until filmmakers figured out how to blend those effects in seamlessly that surround stopped being distracting and started really enhancing movies (as the sound effects do in Gravity). I can't wait until 3D is so good you don't even notice it.

I give it a 9 rather than a 10 because, while it's a very good movie, it didn't send me out of the theater just dying to talk about what I just saw, the way the really good movies do (like Prometheus). But I enjoyed the heck out of it. It's great movie fun. Go see it!
  48. Nov 11, 2013
    It's a pitty for such a beautiful movie to be undermined by the useless,tiring chatter The director did a great job with a realistic and beautiful directing- not to mention the cinematography and the actors- and someone for the production spoiled by imposing useless talk and sentimentality.
  49. Dec 27, 2013
    Astonished by the reviews this is garnering. No mention of the fact that it's sentimental bunkum almost totally lacking...gravitas. Would have been much improved if she'd looked up at the end to see two gorillas on horseback looking at her quizzically!
  50. Mar 22, 2014
    I really don't get it. What is the big deal with this movie?? Its probably one of the worst Ive seen ever. Its up there with Starship Troopers 2 & 3 for quality. A movie has to be more than visuals, and behind all the glam of the earth shots there is nothing, maybe the most flimsy plot ever. Neither my wife nor I could sit and watch it, but after seeing al these fantastic reviews I thoughtI really don't get it. What is the big deal with this movie?? Its probably one of the worst Ive seen ever. Its up there with Starship Troopers 2 & 3 for quality. A movie has to be more than visuals, and behind all the glam of the earth shots there is nothing, maybe the most flimsy plot ever. Neither my wife nor I could sit and watch it, but after seeing al these fantastic reviews I thought there has to be something here. Mid way through I'd decided to watch to the end just for the slimmest chance and hope of seeing Bullock be killed, but had to be content that the movie just ends.

I give it a 2 - 1 for some of the cool effects leading to the meteor strike and 1 for George Clooney who was mildly entertaining for his part.

Confused and bemused.
  51. Nov 11, 2013
    I don't know what is worst; that the the story is so cheesy or that the story is so predicatble. I felt no compassion for any of the characters nor did I find any of the movie to entertain me. The movie is an empty shell hidden in fantastic visuals and immersive 3D effects. The visuals and the effects made me enjoy the movie a little. However it is not something I will remember or anythingI don't know what is worst; that the the story is so cheesy or that the story is so predicatble. I felt no compassion for any of the characters nor did I find any of the movie to entertain me. The movie is an empty shell hidden in fantastic visuals and immersive 3D effects. The visuals and the effects made me enjoy the movie a little. However it is not something I will remember or anything I will ever suggest anyone to pay to see. Expand
  52. Oct 20, 2013
    This is not just a movie but an experience. Many homages are paid to those that came before. Even "Marooned" is winked at. I do not know why this film would even be released in 2D. The experienced is heightened by a feeling of floating and surviving along with SB and GC. Sometimes minimal dialogue is all that is necessary and this is one. The beauty and danger of space is so wellThis is not just a movie but an experience. Many homages are paid to those that came before. Even "Marooned" is winked at. I do not know why this film would even be released in 2D. The experienced is heightened by a feeling of floating and surviving along with SB and GC. Sometimes minimal dialogue is all that is necessary and this is one. The beauty and danger of space is so well portrayed that at times I was breathless as well. Brilliant. Expand
  53. Nov 6, 2013
    STUNNING! The visuals are mind blowing The movie feels kinda boring in between.. but all together the story is awesome a must watch you cannot experience this in your pc
  54. Feb 21, 2014
    Great movie and one of the best space survival i have ever see. I think is the best movie Sandra bullock have done and was an excellent performance from her. Gz for this great film you have create guys!
  55. Oct 20, 2013
    Travel in India, but I will never miss any chance to experience a cinema-going activity in any exotic locale, not to mention it is Alfonso Cuarón’s GRAVITY, the sensationally topical follow-up to CHILDREN OF MEN (2006, 9/10), a firmly prospective Oscar-bait and is on its way to procure an unanimous triumph from both audiences and critics, domestically and internationally, a rare feat whichTravel in India, but I will never miss any chance to experience a cinema-going activity in any exotic locale, not to mention it is Alfonso Cuarón’s GRAVITY, the sensationally topical follow-up to CHILDREN OF MEN (2006, 9/10), a firmly prospective Oscar-bait and is on its way to procure an unanimous triumph from both audiences and critics, domestically and internationally, a rare feat which is hailed as the most innovative film in executing the ubiquitous 3D technology after AVATAR (2009, 9/10).

I was at a relatively large 3D screen hall, but if you can find a screen with IMAX plus 3D, which is the quintessential option. The film runs a succinct 96-minutes, at first I found myself a bit distracted by the murkiness of the screen with the clumsy 3D glasses double-glazing my myopic spectacles, one primary reason why I don’t enjoy 3D films on the whole, so as to I didn’t quite adjust myself to appreciate the opening scene, thankfully a belated captivation comes when the debris attacks, this survival tale begins to gnaw at its audience in a very good and exciting way.

Floating in the infinite emptiness, the extremity of terror and helplessness is oppressive and overwhelming, Sandra Bullock confidently and believably pilots us into a journey of wonders, we don’t know what’s the odds here for her to pull it off the miraculous landing on earth, it is her relentless mettle and stamina shock us, inspire us and strike a chord with us. Bullock’s hallmark of underplaying her character’s choppy emotion does a clean sweep to deliver a top-notch impact in spite of a comparatively thin script, it is a tour-de-force performance in her career and a hard-earned honor for an actress who can overcome the glass ceiling to lead a commercially prosperous Sci-Fi fare in her age (what’s more important, she is also a top-billing comedian presently). Clooney serves slickly as the experienced but not-too-lucky astronaut, most of the time he is hidden inside the space helmet and uniform, but generates a wake-up call on the nose when he displays his usual Clooney-esque mien, Cuarón does know what audiences want.

GRAVITY is a ground-breaker, a high-tech adventurer and seeker, and fingers crossed it will eventually give DP Emmanuel Lubezki his overdue golden statue after 5 nominations (divinely shot scenes include the trademark ever-rotating long takes, the resurrection emblem of a fetus inside the uterus, the final victory when she rises out of the sea as a giantess, etc.), maybe for Cuarón and his sterling production team as well (sound department, art production and visual stunt). It is a film beyond everyone’s imagination and it edifies you so much with so little to tell, like an essay, it is concise but cogent, and with a collateral effect to blow your mind.

PS: I am planning a rematch when the picture will arrive at the end of November in China, hopefully in an IMAX screen finally.
  56. Jan 14, 2014
    Another standard issue vapid hollywood action movie. They make astronauts out to be a bunch of no talent ass clowns who lose their **** in a crisis. And physics does not work that way. Come up with some more plausible plot twists that aren't completely deus ex machina.
  57. Feb 14, 2014
    Gravity is pure cinematic brilliance. Hugely ambiguous and flawlessly executed. Sandra Bullock carries the film beautifully in what is surely the performance of her career.
  58. Jan 20, 2014
    While the movie has some of the dialogues that are forgetable and its story is not Oscar-worthy, Gravity's cinematography and visual effects will take your breath away since Avatar and this movie will only be loved by people who appreciate its beauty.
  59. Nov 11, 2013
    This movie looks just amazing and I think you can say that, aside from animations like Avatar, Up, it's the best 3d film ever made. I'm sure if you dig into it you can find faults with it... like the people here who have given it a bad mark, but COME ON it's absolutely staggeringly well shot that is absolutely gorgeous and utterly compelling.
    Yes it's a very basic plot, yes it's
    Yes it's a very basic plot, yes it's ultimately limited by having to have a feelgood factor and some Hollywood crassness, and it stars Sandra Bullock who was a seriously odd choice bearing in mind she's about as engaging as a divorce, but overall, it's so much better than any other space movie sci fi, 'thriller' whatever out there because it feels real and looks and sounds absolutely wonderful.
  60. Nov 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I had purposely not gone to too much trouble to find what this film was about. Its obviously a space drama/disaster flick, that was enough to interest me and pay my admission fee.

I had hoped this film was going to be the closest experience to being in space itself. I was very let down. The film never gripped me, made me feel any empathy with the characters, never made me feel any sense of threat, dread, or consequence of what would happen to them.

This film looks (even in 3D) like actors playing people in space, not the immersive moviegoing experience i was hoping for. The whole thing was a miscast for me even before i sat down, that said, i still retained an open mind about the cast. The acting was about as wooden as it comes (for the record i think clooney is a great actor in the right part, Bullock, sorry ive yet to see her in anything remotely good) and the script is at times cringeworthy. For example Bullocks eenie, meenie, minie, moe button pressing when her life is at stake was pathetic.

The visuals could not save this heap of rubbish, although the destruction of the ISS was the only positive i could find in the film viewing wise.

In a nutshell, overhyped tat with no real purpose, meaning or substance.

Oh, one last thing, how convenient that when Bullock lands back on earth she is mere metres away from the nearest beach.
  61. Feb 26, 2014
    This was alot better than I thought it was going to be. I mean, what could happen in space that would keep me interested. Well, despite that there was quite a bit of suspense and impossiblities was more than enough to keep me interested. And although i am not a Sandra Bullock fan, she was atleast believable in her role, while Clooney was not outside his "normal" typecast.
  62. Oct 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Gravity delivers A++ visual appeal driven by what must be cutting edge CGI and cinematography. The art probably needs some new words to describe the techniques on display here. I have no regrets for having shelled out to see this on a big screen. It looks great.

But apart from all the spectacularism, sadly this is a mangy dog of a movie. Clooney is wasted in this miscast role. Why is he here? He seems bored by his own "acting", which is nothing but his usual "I am a playful scamp but I am also so wise" routine. George Cool is so cool he doesn't bat an eye or raise his voice a whit when it is time for his character to voluntarily (and conveniently) float off into the void. Plenty of other actors could have brought a needed edginess to the role.

The implausible story line is razor thin and the maudlin dialog has all the flair of box of rocks.

How lucky for us that Bullock's character could never stop talking to herself! What the filmmakers hoped would come off as be nervous chatter sounds like the clunky exposition that it is. Despite that, Bullock's over-earnest performance manages to rise to the level of barely decent, which is really something considering she had so little to work with.

Critiques of the conveniently flawed physics and flawed technology of space travel in Gravity are abundant, so let's not rehash all that. Except for my personal favorite!! Bullock's character gets to the Soyuz capsule and needs to go outside to cut the ropes. What does she find? A Russian spacesuit that is perfectly tailored for her body!! What are the odds of that???
  63. Jan 18, 2014
    Absolutely brilliantly filmed, like this was completely breathtaking. In 3D, it was even more engrossing. If I was rating this based on special effects alone, it'd be an easy 10. However, I'm not. The story left much to be desired and while insprirational and touching, it was not that amazing. Sandra Bullock left much to be desired in terms of acting, while George Clooney honestly stoleAbsolutely brilliantly filmed, like this was completely breathtaking. In 3D, it was even more engrossing. If I was rating this based on special effects alone, it'd be an easy 10. However, I'm not. The story left much to be desired and while insprirational and touching, it was not that amazing. Sandra Bullock left much to be desired in terms of acting, while George Clooney honestly stole the show completely for me. He was phenomenal in this film. Certainly worthy of the Oscars it could receive for direction and others, but leave the acting ones for some of the better performances of the year, in my opinion. Expand
  64. Oct 4, 2013
    It's really good, just not great. Obviously it is beautifully shot and directed; I can say I've been to space and now never have to actually go up there. Bullock is really great with her emotional bits and Clooney gives the film a unique balance. You HAVE to see it on the big screen, just go in with regular expectations. For every great scene in the film, there is a 5 minute transition toIt's really good, just not great. Obviously it is beautifully shot and directed; I can say I've been to space and now never have to actually go up there. Bullock is really great with her emotional bits and Clooney gives the film a unique balance. You HAVE to see it on the big screen, just go in with regular expectations. For every great scene in the film, there is a 5 minute transition to said scene. Expand
  65. Oct 12, 2013
    The only thing more unbelievable than the scope and quality of this film is how some people seem to be completely unaffected by it. Poetic. That's the word that I couldn't keep out of my brain throughout the duration of this film. Gravity accomplishes the enormous feat of capturing great terror, beauty, and emotion (often simultaneously) by using no more than a single shot or sound. IThe only thing more unbelievable than the scope and quality of this film is how some people seem to be completely unaffected by it. Poetic. That's the word that I couldn't keep out of my brain throughout the duration of this film. Gravity accomplishes the enormous feat of capturing great terror, beauty, and emotion (often simultaneously) by using no more than a single shot or sound. I found this to be such a profound and captivating experience that several times I caught myself tearing up, even when the scene was devoid of any particularly moving dialogue. What the cast and crew have achieved here is at the very least incredibly impressive, and for viewers like me, simply astonishing. It quickly became very clear that the people behind this film have such a deep admiration for life and the universe, and like all great artists, they not only saw what many others did not, but they knew exactly how to get you to see it too. 10/10 Expand
  66. Oct 9, 2013
    Gravity is like a roller-coaster ride once on your heart starts to accelerate faster and faster your blood starts to boil your skin starts to crawl your palms start to sweat over and over until the final moment when the ride ends and then after the rush of adrenaline all you wanna do is get back on enjoy the thrill again. Gravity is an amazing film its so beautiful and tense through outGravity is like a roller-coaster ride once on your heart starts to accelerate faster and faster your blood starts to boil your skin starts to crawl your palms start to sweat over and over until the final moment when the ride ends and then after the rush of adrenaline all you wanna do is get back on enjoy the thrill again. Gravity is an amazing film its so beautiful and tense through out the whole film i was stuck to the set my eyes wide open i felt as if i was been punched in the head repetitively over and over again as conflict and more conflict blasted on to the screen, Gravity is a masterpiece their was no dull moments the film just blew me away i was truly amazed. 10/10 would bang, ohh and also the acting was really good besides the main character who in my opinion seemed to be rather board with her acting, this is what it looked like to me anyway, overall it was more the fact that i felt as if i was in space and was truly being challenged to survive it was such a great atmosphere. Expand
  67. Oct 26, 2013
    this movie is so beautifully awesome, simple and touching... one of the best ever!
    Alfonso has given us the non ordinary suspense about an astronaut trying to survive and go back to earth...
    on the other hand, the visual is stunning, the acting is awesome and mostly, this movie is a WOW!
  68. Oct 13, 2013
    Unlike anything I have ever seen before. And yes, I have seen 2001 a Space Odyssey. Just to see something original in today's market is a treat in itself. This movie it like taking a vacation. That is a vacation from the usual cliches, the usual jokes, the usual plot twists you get in a typical Hollywood movie out today. It is 91 minutes so it is just the right length to tell its story andUnlike anything I have ever seen before. And yes, I have seen 2001 a Space Odyssey. Just to see something original in today's market is a treat in itself. This movie it like taking a vacation. That is a vacation from the usual cliches, the usual jokes, the usual plot twists you get in a typical Hollywood movie out today. It is 91 minutes so it is just the right length to tell its story and get you out before you get tired. I really think it was the perfect time any longer and you might of remembered you were watching a movie. People are going to get awards for this one. Expand
  69. Jul 28, 2014
    Gravity will have you reaching for anything you can grab, so you don`t float into space. I went in thinking this movie would be boring, but the found a way to keep it interesting until the very end. Made me feel like I was there,and wishing to be back on Earth.It also has a good message about life in the middle of the chaos.
  70. Jan 29, 2014
    Gravity is one of those few films that attempt to portray the dynamics of outer space as best as it could be. At a running time of only an hour and a half, most of the film concerned the difficulty of the characters to move toward places they needed to be in order to survive. With no friction, the slightest push could set one off on a course taking them far from the home planet.

Sandra

Sandra Bullock delivers a strong performance as a newbie in the field, unaccustomed and uncomfortable with her environment, and she does well. Her every movement is clumsy and awkward. She feels sick, disorientated and panicked. The way she portrayed the character develop from this fearful bereaving person to the strong woman who finally faces reality and understands that while she has been dealt a cruel hand by fate on and off the earth, there's really nothing to do about it than just accept it and then fight for her life with every ounce of strength she has in her body.

George Clooney plays Matt, who is on his last mission. He is a jolly figure who engages in humorous and distracting monologues with Houston. But the strength of his character becomes apparent the moment the apocalypse of that world arrives at their doorstep.

The space-crafts shown are the International Space Station, Hubble Telescope and Chinese Tiangong. The majority of the action takes place around Hubble, where the characters are stationed. As always, the Russians mess up when they blow up a satellite of their own. The debris starts an accidental chain reaction which destroys every other spacecraft in its orbit, returning every ninety minutes to do more damage. The characters have to use this window to make their way without panicking as that consumes more oxygen. Alfonso Cuarón does well in weaving the entire environment in working to kill the characters.

The visual effects were the most believable that I've seen in a long time. The constant was the rim of the Earth, which was a welcoming sight in the wake of the chaos taking place. Tiny water droplets, explosions and debris from destroyed spacecraft were created with painstaking detail and enriched the picture. The effects did not overwhelm everything else and aided in the development of the story. The set design was exquisite, showing the interior of space-crafts, their controls, space suits, floating and drifting spacecraft.

There may be a few inaccuracies but they are quite forgiveable in contrast to the spectacle that Cuarón has created. The script was strong, so was the production design and visual effects. The direction managed to capture the sense of fear and confusion of the characters with some very poignant moments. The vast emptiness of space was constantly reminding everyone by its presence to its claim of being the main antagonist of the film.

Already being compared to 2001: A Space Odyssey, I can only concur that Gravity rivals that only in the departments of entertainment value, visual effects and its ability to affect mood using imagery and music. The former had a more interesting story while the plot of the latter was conceived to suit the demands of the effects, which isn't actually a bad thing but isn't enough to get the movie in the same league as the classics.

9.5
  71. Oct 4, 2013
    I half expected this movie to be crap simply because I assume movies with near perfect reviews 7 days prior to their release paid for that near perfect review. I will never forget this cinematic experience. It was kind of like watching Avatar for the first time. I am always anal about movie special effects and i'm usually the first to call them out when something is obvious CG. This movieI half expected this movie to be crap simply because I assume movies with near perfect reviews 7 days prior to their release paid for that near perfect review. I will never forget this cinematic experience. It was kind of like watching Avatar for the first time. I am always anal about movie special effects and i'm usually the first to call them out when something is obvious CG. This movie had me thinking, "HOW THE HECK DID THEY DO THAT!" I can only assume that they sent Sandra Bullock and George Clooney to outer space for the filming of this movie. The effects are excellent.

That said, the movie overall was good too, It wasn't all just the visuals. Without spoiling anything, i will say that the plot was great. Visuals excellent. Plot Great. It can get a little taxing since the vast majority of the movie takes place in outer space. I watched it in Imax 3D and after the movie, i had to remind myself that i was still on earth. I wish i could give the movie a 9.5. I'm not so free with my 10's. 10 is reserved for the best movie of my life.
  72. Jan 18, 2014
    GRAVITY!!!!! this was a brilliant film from start to finish. This film should be viewed in 3D but would also be the same in 2D the acting was great and the movie always kept you at the edge of your seat. overall was just an amazing film 9/10
  73. lox
    Dec 10, 2013
    Gravity is arguably the most critically acclaimed movie yet of 2013. Written and Directed by Alfonso Cuarón, Gravity is visually dazzling and powerfully acted. Sandra Bullock gives one of her best performances in years and George Clooney gives vitally adds to the quality of the film as the second main star. Now that being said I thought Gravity was really good, but not fantastic. ThoughGravity is arguably the most critically acclaimed movie yet of 2013. Written and Directed by Alfonso Cuarón, Gravity is visually dazzling and powerfully acted. Sandra Bullock gives one of her best performances in years and George Clooney gives vitally adds to the quality of the film as the second main star. Now that being said I thought Gravity was really good, but not fantastic. Though not groundbreaking or great, it has really good performances from Bullock and Clooney. It has a considerably slow start that picks up twenty minutes in, beautiful visuals and impeccable cinematography. One question however and that is why did the debris only become an obstacle whenever Ryan reached a station? Either way, I did like this film, but didn't find myself thoroughly falling in love with it. I can see why so many people have praised it though and given it five stars. Luckily I did land in the positive category. Gravity is a fun thrill ride that uses the dark, mysterious and beautifully eerie space setting to its advantage. It is without doubt one of the better films of 2013. Expand
  74. Oct 21, 2013
    Sandra and George terrific actors. Special Effects perfect. When the action actually came in it was impressive the story is good, but nothing really to pull you in I feel asleep 3 times. Boring characters.
    It's like Avatar when the action comes it's good, decent story, good actors (not acting), and amazing effects, but also like Avatar boring, predictable, and feels like it was written in a day. Why not a lot have been written in a day. I'd advice you to just look up the exciting stuff on YouTube, because the hype (unless you're the one to follow it) will let you down.
  75. Oct 22, 2013
    Expectable though great looking sci-fi movie. Gravity is well shot and the special fx are pretty faultless. It looks great but the storyline is just disastrous and almost insultingly predictable. The character development is just ludicrously poor. Clooney is just a guy who´s character is almost not there. He´s not affected by the accident and is just emotionless like a machine. He show´sExpectable though great looking sci-fi movie. Gravity is well shot and the special fx are pretty faultless. It looks great but the storyline is just disastrous and almost insultingly predictable. The character development is just ludicrously poor. Clooney is just a guy who´s character is almost not there. He´s not affected by the accident and is just emotionless like a machine. He show´s some compassion towards Bullocks character though it is of such low amount of value to the movie as the movie is of low amount of atmosphere.
    In the moment the movie started to get interesting and you could get at least a development and a little piece of compassion towards Bullock it kills not only the atmosphere of this scene but also disrupts any bond of connectivity to the movie and Bullock. The end of the movie is annoying and boring, you don´t have to watch the movie to know what´ll happen. If they would have concentrated more on the story and the character development it would been a great movie but now... it´s just another undeserved academy award nominee I may would be giving them one for the cgi fxs
  76. Oct 12, 2013
    This is a great film and one of the best films of 2013 ,if not THE best. It's not perfect, but it's a movie you cannot miss. First of all, the visuals are spectacular. The cinematography and art-style are beautiful, and the CGI and special effects boost the experience rather than hinder it. I highly recommend watching this film in 3D as it truly does improve the overall experience. TheThis is a great film and one of the best films of 2013 ,if not THE best. It's not perfect, but it's a movie you cannot miss. First of all, the visuals are spectacular. The cinematography and art-style are beautiful, and the CGI and special effects boost the experience rather than hinder it. I highly recommend watching this film in 3D as it truly does improve the overall experience. The acting is good, and the story while not perfect is simple and touching enough to work. Cuaron has crafted an extremely entertaining,visually stunning movie that you simply cannot miss.If your looking for a film to give you a reason to go to the movie theater this is it. Expand
  77. Oct 13, 2013
    Congratulations, Mr. Cuaron and his marketing team successfully extracted US $123 mio in 2 weeks from United States of Americans. By the way your movie sucked gravity! Life of Pi was much better than this movie which didn't have any story. The most funniest part was when Kowalski comes in Stone's dream and says did you try that button or this one, come on you got to get home.
  78. Oct 4, 2013
    Finally! A space movie that does not involve aliens, supernatural events, or even psychological events. It is just you and sandra bullock in space, experiencing events in space that could most definitely happen. It's gripping, intense, and most of all the soundtrack and sound effects are by far some of the best that I have ever heard. One thing though, don't take your children to go seeFinally! A space movie that does not involve aliens, supernatural events, or even psychological events. It is just you and sandra bullock in space, experiencing events in space that could most definitely happen. It's gripping, intense, and most of all the soundtrack and sound effects are by far some of the best that I have ever heard. One thing though, don't take your children to go see their movies. All of their dreams to be astronauts will be crushed by experiencing the true horrific nature of space and most of all....Gravity. Expand
  79. Oct 29, 2013
    Visuals outstanding, use of audio underwhelming. Storyline/character development could have been written on a 3x5 card. In a nutshell, life happens (good and bad), get up, move forward. The end. Not a fan. Sorry.
  80. Dec 11, 2013
    Perfect. This was one of the best movies i have seen in my life. the movie had a great story, great plot, and amazing special effects. This movie is a good message for NASA to explain how to survive in space and how to now how it feels most importantly. This movie will take you on an epic journey and right now this has got to be a 10 out of 10. There is no other movie that can top this film.
  81. Nov 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. So I walked into this movie thinking this might actually be better than the trailer actually showed but it turns out that the movie was the trailer, but it had more. You are first introduced to one of the loudest noises I have ever heard in a movie. I swear it was so loud everyone in the theater had to cover their ears to save their eardrums from being blown out. This happens throughtout the whole movie it goes from quiet air into an uneccesarily loud sound and then back to silence and then repeats. Enough of the sound though let's talk about the movie. You first see a random extra astronaut and then you are introduced to sandra bullock's character dr. Ryan stone who in the past has lost a daughter at the age of 4 which is a sad story to me, but that isn't the point we are watching gravity. Basically the explorer gets hit and then the rest of the movie is sandra bullock breathing and crying for the last 50 minutes or so. Did I mention the excellent cameo of George Clooney? Well might as well consider it a cameo and call sandra bullock and the voice on earth the cast; a whopping cast of two people for a film. There was no great plot just bullock floating in space trying to get down to earth. There was zero character development meaning I could have cared less whether bullock survived or not. The movie was also one of the dullest if not the dullest movie I have ever seen it was so dull that me and my friend kept poking jokes at it and laughing our mouths off. Although I do give the film a thumbs up on George Clooney's cameo and good message about survival, it is still one of the worst movies I have ever seen absolutely horrendous. Overall 3/10 Expand
  82. Mar 13, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Great visuals,great direction,great musical score, BAD screenplay and average acting.At times Bullock's character really irritated me, and how can an astronaut who's only had 6 months of training be so calm and know so much about the workings of the shuttles? Really disappointed they didn't make a better effort to write a better story, visuals and music alone don't make a great movie. Expand
  83. Oct 20, 2013
    My God, it's full of stars. No wait, wrong movie, but yes, there are lots and lots of stars and you feel the infinity of space in Gravity.The ballet of astronauts floating and working against the amazing backdrop of Earth reminded me of "2001: A Space Oddity" but so much more real. Definitely a gripping movie; had me gripping my popcorn. It was a pleasure to feel for the people in theMy God, it's full of stars. No wait, wrong movie, but yes, there are lots and lots of stars and you feel the infinity of space in Gravity.The ballet of astronauts floating and working against the amazing backdrop of Earth reminded me of "2001: A Space Oddity" but so much more real. Definitely a gripping movie; had me gripping my popcorn. It was a pleasure to feel for the people in the movie, especially Dr. Ryan Stone, portrayed by Sandra Bullock. I can't say enough good about her but will say that she carries this movie all by herself. Worth seeing for the amazing cinematography and do see this in 3D. Expand
  84. Feb 6, 2014
    I very rarely watch movies at IMAX theaters. Between the hassle of finding compatible theaters, reserving seats, and covering the exorbitant ticket prices, often times the inconveniences of the IMAX experience simply outweigh any of its redeeming qualities. In fact, I only watched one film in IMAX this year. And I am so thankful that film was Alfonso Cuarón’s celestial drama Gravity.I very rarely watch movies at IMAX theaters. Between the hassle of finding compatible theaters, reserving seats, and covering the exorbitant ticket prices, often times the inconveniences of the IMAX experience simply outweigh any of its redeeming qualities. In fact, I only watched one film in IMAX this year. And I am so thankful that film was Alfonso Cuarón’s celestial drama Gravity.
    Let’s talk first about the visuals. Earth when viewed from high above the atmosphere, however spectacular, strategically appears like a dirty marble when compared to the glistening metals and soft whites that glow like diamonds against the pitch black space backdrop. Thus, in scenes where Sandra Bullock is drifting away from a wrecked satellite, her coruscating white suit set against the blackness of outer space masterfully emphasizes her isolation, eliciting powerful emotions of fear and solitude. The painstaking effort to render every detail of the satellites not only captures the beauty of the set, but also glorifies the devastation that ensues; tons of satellite debris ricocheting at the speed of a bullet reduce space stations to floating rubble in a manner so remarkably grand and cinematic, all we can do is sit petrified and look on with rapt eyes.
    These special effects are spellbinding but, as is true with all movies, they are useless without the right cinematography to give them depth and relevance. By combining drawn-out shots of slow zero-gravity movement with rapid vertiginous action shots reminiscent of falling in a dream, director of photography Emmanuel Lubezki (The Tree of Life, Children of Men) uses a myriad of perspectives to create an environment with a feel so multidimensional, it simply cannot be achieved with 3D glasses alone. This spaciousness does not invite us into outer space, but instead shoves us right into it. For ninety minutes, we’re truly alone in space, and it is heart stopping.
    I was shocked to discover the film only cost roughly $100 million to make (compare to $237 million Avatar). However, this may be due in large to the fact that it had only two actors (and a handful of voices). Sandra Bullock and George Clooney essentially carried the film’s entire weight. Although both gave wonderful performances, I have to tip my hat to Bullock. While Clooney’s performance evoked comfortable, Bullock’s Oscar-worthy performance evoked deep, genuine, distressful fear. Every expression was executed with emotive strength; every line was uttered with confident awareness. She truly was the star of the film (pun intended).
    The screenplay, written by Alfonso and his 30-year old son Jonas, approaches science fiction and suspense in an unorthodox fashion, much like 2001: A Space Odyssey did. Rife with symbolism and introspective dialogue, Cuarón’s screenplay manages to avoid such science-fiction pitfalls as clichéd vapid characterizations and contrived plot twists. Profound themes, such as the extended metaphor of rebirth, never compete for priority with more superficial themes, such as survival and solitude. For this reason, the film functions as a popcorn-munching blockbuster as well as a thinking and feeling piece of art better than any other blockbuster or art film this year. The way Cuarón handles both ends of the film spectrum with such apparent ease and perpetual attentiveness merits some serious laud (and maybe even an Oscar).
    In the end, Gravity proves to be an experience everyone will enjoy – science aficionados, visual effects buffs, art-house hunters – as long as it is watched in 3D (trust me, the extra seven dollars have never been so worth it).

FINAL SCORE: 100 (perfect)
  85. Oct 26, 2013
    If there was 20 out of 10, this would be my rating!
    Is it a good movie? I've seen it twice so far, I am planning to buy it, this is how good it is, I don't normally buy movies, this is a collector's item!!!
    Please see the movie it is well worth the money, pure art, pure genious
    Thank you Mr Alfonso Caurion! You have brightened up my life.
    God Bless you
  86. Oct 20, 2013
    This is the best movie of year so far. They mixed horror and sci-fi and they did it like a boss. Even though it does get a little boring at times, and Sandra's breathing can get on your nerves, it is an awesome movie. Go watch while it is still in cinemas!
  87. May 25, 2014
    "I wake up go to work and i just drive"

Gravity is by far the best movie of the year so far beating out both Before Midnight and Mud. I had Chills from start to finish the movie felt more like a ride and it left me on the edge of my set the whole time. Though the movie is only 90 minutes it feels more like a two hour movie the way it paces itself. Alfonso Cuarón has done some great
    "I wake up go to work and i just drive"

Alfonso Cuarón has done some great movies in the past with Children of Men and Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. This film is by far the best he has done everything from the Actors to the CGI was perfect. Watching this in IMAX format was definitely worth the hour drive in the rain and the $20 dollars for the ticket.

Sandra Bullock and George Clooney are amazing actors i love them both but Sandra Bullock was on another level in this film. Sure The Blind Side was a good movie but i think if she won Best Actress for that movie then then she should definitely win for Gravity it's a WAY WAY! better movie if she doesn't ill be pretty upset. George Clooney is an amazing actor and he proves it again in this with his performance. His dialog really hits you in the heart especially there at the end.

The CGI was on just amazing beating out everything i watched at the theaters this year it feels like you are there in space. The realism was on another level also beating out Europa Report which was another film that was high on realism. The moment when i seen the Airglow in the film i felt Bliss hit my body.

Overall i give it a Perfect 10 Truly an amazing film i knew this was going to AMAZING and i CAN'T WAIT for the blu-ray. I'm just in love with space and this movie was just another one i will add to my collection now onto the next great sci-fi Interstellar.
  88. Nov 15, 2013
    I was told that Gravity was boring in 2D so we saw it in 3D and it was boring....... and Stupid. George Cluney just played his part like a guy who thinks I'm beautiful so I don't need to act, so he cracks jokes while an exploding satellite destroys their spacecraft, 'looks like Facebook will be off the air haha'. When they make it to the ISS Bullock has to flip through the user manual toI was told that Gravity was boring in 2D so we saw it in 3D and it was boring....... and Stupid. George Cluney just played his part like a guy who thinks I'm beautiful so I don't need to act, so he cracks jokes while an exploding satellite destroys their spacecraft, 'looks like Facebook will be off the air haha'. When they make it to the ISS Bullock has to flip through the user manual to learn how to fly the thing, how ridiculous, really this movie is a joke, don't waste your money. Expand
  89. Oct 7, 2013
    As a spectacle this film is pretty much the definition. It's definitely spectacular, but I think it's appeal would disappear on the small screen or not in 3d. It's really pretty gimmicky.

The story is about as barebones as you can get while still being able to bill someone as the writer. The acting is alright, but I don't think they'd make anyone who is prone to panic attacks an astronaut. Nor probably the inventor of something. Anyway, most things in this film aren't really plausible in any sort of way.

I dunno, the fact that a major part of the story hinges on a momentary inconsistency in the laws of motion kinda bugs me a lot.

Either way, it's a pretty fun waste of 90 minutes, but if you see it, see it on the big screen or not at all.
  90. Oct 5, 2013
    Cuarón has already proven himself to be as supremely talented a cinematic stylist as Michael Bay, David Fincher and James Cameron but with "Gravity" he does his peers one better by using his visuals devices in service of telling his story as opposing to straining against it. By subtlety shifting from a third-person to a first-person perspective and filling the screen with verisimilitudicCuarón has already proven himself to be as supremely talented a cinematic stylist as Michael Bay, David Fincher and James Cameron but with "Gravity" he does his peers one better by using his visuals devices in service of telling his story as opposing to straining against it. By subtlety shifting from a third-person to a first-person perspective and filling the screen with verisimilitudic detail, Cuarón and his brilliant cinematographer Emmanuel Lubezki slowly take the viewer from uninvolved observer to active participant. With every frozen tear drop and fogged up helmet, Cuarón makes his world a real place to the extent that when a bunch of satellite debris came rushing at Stone, I wasn't worried about her being chopped in half, I was terrifying of shrapnel tearing into my own flesh. Mexican and proud! Expand
  91. Oct 7, 2013
    It was a nice, emotional take on a movie that portrays the will to survive at all cost! Earth views in the 3D IMAX viewing were amazing!!! However, I personally think the movie was mostly dull and predictable! If not for George Clooney's humor & high spirits, the movie would have been even duller with just whinings, groans and incoherent noises from Bullock! The emotional epicenter ofIt was a nice, emotional take on a movie that portrays the will to survive at all cost! Earth views in the 3D IMAX viewing were amazing!!! However, I personally think the movie was mostly dull and predictable! If not for George Clooney's humor & high spirits, the movie would have been even duller with just whinings, groans and incoherent noises from Bullock! The emotional epicenter of Sandra Bullock was exposed. It wasn't bad, but it was no Anna Hathaway in Les Misérables!!! Some scenes got me saying "wtf', but then some scenes also left me breathless and quiet! I would recommend not watching this at home. Its definitely a must see on IMAX 3D to enjoy the best parts of the movie, but if you were expecting the next best movie of the year, this isn't it!!! Finally, if you are a Bullock fan, then you definitely don't wanna miss some of the up-close sexy and genuine scenes the experienced actress has to offer! No nudity, so don't let your imagination go that far! Before viewing the movie, you should set your mindset to that of an Astronaut, wear your cool 3D IMAX glasses and make sure your don't fall asleep to miss the best parts!!! Enjoy! Expand
  92. Oct 8, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. An interesting movie... interesting, not awesome. The Idea behind the Movie is quite original, though simple. There is only 1 important Character (Dr. Stone) and Sandra Bullock is doing a good job. Still, the whole Movie seems kinda messed up. Not because of the Story, you dont even really have to pay attention to the Movie, because you'll usually know, what will happen next. And that's bad. But there's something else: Some Scenes just dont fit. For Example, when she enters the ISS, she's floating around in space doing almost nothing for a couple of Minutes... Smae thing when she's talking to that Chinese guy... these Scenes are calm and peaceful, while others are completely different (eg. when she escapes the ISS). The Movie is trying to be thrilling, but it doesnt really work, because the whole Movie is very predictable (well, except for that Dream Scene, where Kowalski returns). The Special Effects are good, that's for sure and George Clooney is just doing an awesome job, but the Movie cant make me feel with Dr. Stone, neither Kowalski. I always felt like i was watching an experimental Movie, and not a very good one in particular... Expand
  93. Mar 18, 2014
    Dreadful! The characters are Hollywood stock - the wise-cracking alpha male hero, the shrieking frightened woman, the dispensable minority etc etc. The attempts to develop the characters are so pitiful they make things worse (the dead daughter? What was that about?). And the dialogue is so cheesy you'd think it was made in the 1980s. The film does do a good job of conveying zero gravity,Dreadful! The characters are Hollywood stock - the wise-cracking alpha male hero, the shrieking frightened woman, the dispensable minority etc etc. The attempts to develop the characters are so pitiful they make things worse (the dead daughter? What was that about?). And the dialogue is so cheesy you'd think it was made in the 1980s. The film does do a good job of conveying zero gravity, and it's quite amusing when SB strips to her underwear for absolutely no apparent reason but those are the only good things about it apart from the fact it's nice and short (shorter still if you fast-forward the unnecessary escape-pod scenes).

I'd say if you thought Avatar was a great film and/or you've recently had part of your brain removed you will enjoy this. Nobody else should bother.
  94. Nov 8, 2013
    This is a near-perfect cinematic experience when seen in 3D. It's hard to even imagine watching it as a rental, I'm almost certain the film would be compromised. The sound may be the best part. Astounding.
  95. Oct 12, 2013
    Probably the most scary and extraordinary movie I have ever seen. Beautiful and terrifying. Sandra Bullock was amazing, music was amazing, earth from the space was amazing simply amazing movie!
  96. Oct 13, 2013
    I made a metacritic account just to comment on this movie. Gravity is the best movie I can remember seeing. The visuals are so stunning you must watch it in 3D and you will leave the theater with your mind blown. Go see it now.
  97. Oct 13, 2013
    its about life of astrounats in space....its full of thrill from begining till end...depicted really in a reality way....the movie is amazing realistic ...would definitely be an inspiration to one who desire to be astrounaut.....
  98. Oct 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Incredible visuals, disappointing story, and here it is: almost every attempt to get back to earth falls apart, with a dozen narrow escapes in between. To me, the moment when Oscar™ winning actress Sandra Bullock crawls ashore is when the story got really interesting and was when a good story might have begun. But then the movie ends a minute later. The filmmakers forgot to research some things that might have made the relationships more plausible between Oscar™ winning actor George Clooney and Oscar™ winning actress Sandra Bullock. Tragedy strikes in space, and to kill time and use up precious oxygen while floating around, Oscar™ winning actor George Clooney engages Oscar™ winning actress Sandra Bullock in a cheeky get-to-know-you conversation. Wouldn't they know some basic bio facts about each other after training together for a few years? I didn't hear much dialogue that would have seemed believable on land, let alone in space, where there are a few more protocols to follow. Oscar™ winning actress Sandra Bullock and Oscar™ winning actor George Clooney were cast pretty pointlessly here- neither Oscar™ winning actor was really suited to the roles, and Clooney's chatty charm seems out of place in space. There is so little character development and so little spark beween the two ONLY characters in the movie, that I could never snap out of the realization that I was watching Oscar™ winning actor George Clooney and Oscar™ winning actress Sandra Bullock. In the end, the movie was just like its setting, just a lot of empty space. But pretty. Expand
  99. Oct 14, 2013
    ...ok then.....still not sure what the fuss was all about...the effects overshadow all else goin on in this nonsense...last third of the movie i was rooting for the debris....have found that ms bullock over the course of many roles has developed a unique ability to simply be annoying.....if there are awards for that ...you go girl....
  100. Oct 16, 2013
    Though extremely gripping throughout, the film's utterly jaw-dropping visual effects and direction can't save a film with such a thin story-line and couldn't-care-less characters. "Gravity" picks you up and never lets go, even if you don't sympathize with the characters (no fault of Clooney and Bullock, by the way). A visual feast, even if your heart remains hungry.

1. Reviewed by: James Mottram
    Nov 3, 2013
    A stunning space saga that takes off for new technical frontiers without leaving its humanity behind.
  2. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Oct 6, 2013
    Gravity is not a film of ideas, like Kubrick's techno-mystical "2001," but it's an overwhelming physical experience -- a challenge to the senses that engages every kind of dread. [7 Oct. 2013, p.88]
  3. Reviewed by: Dana Stevens
    Oct 4, 2013
    This is not to say that Gravity is a masterpiece: Unlike Cuarón’s extraordinary "Children of Men", it doesn’t quite pull off its ambitious effort to combine formal inventiveness, heart-pounding action, and intimate human storytelling. But it succeeds thrillingly at the first two of those categories, and only misses the mark on the last because it tries a little too hard — which is certainly a welcome respite from the countless sci-fi thrillers that privilege the human story not at all.