7.8

1. Oct 4, 2013
    Everyone knows that both Sandra Bullock and George Clooney played their rolls beautifully. But one thing I want to mention that blew me away was the unsung hero of sound design. HOLY HELL it was spectacularly done. For a setting that has no sound and to make it seem that way is a feet that is out of this world (sorry for the pun). It may sound easy just to remove the Atmos effects butEveryone knows that both Sandra Bullock and George Clooney played their rolls beautifully. But one thing I want to mention that blew me away was the unsung hero of sound design. HOLY HELL it was spectacularly done. For a setting that has no sound and to make it seem that way is a feet that is out of this world (sorry for the pun). It may sound easy just to remove the Atmos effects but really, having done sound for TV myself it is very difficult to cover up. This is a film I will take notes from in the future. Expand
  2. Oct 12, 2013
    It was Bullock's Cast Away. 90 minutes of ho-hum, I'm floating in space from one station to another, until I finally parachute down to a remote lake. We saw it in 3-D, but each of us fell asleep several times. When we woke up, more of the same...Sandra frantically pushing buttons in Russian and then Mandarin, hoping that she pushed the right one. When she was floating in space, sheIt was Bullock's Cast Away. 90 minutes of ho-hum, I'm floating in space from one station to another, until I finally parachute down to a remote lake. We saw it in 3-D, but each of us fell asleep several times. When we woke up, more of the same...Sandra frantically pushing buttons in Russian and then Mandarin, hoping that she pushed the right one. When she was floating in space, she desperately reached for parts of the three space stations, and fortunately was able to grab something at the last minute. Big surprise.
    There was about 10 minutes of interaction with Clooney, but the rest of it was her mumbling to herself. Waaayyyy overrated.
  3. Oct 4, 2013
    Utterly breathtaking. Gravity is a terrifying, realistic, beautiful and amazing thrill ride filled with non-stop suspense and incredible tension along with fantastic visuals and score. This is definitely a must see film and can definitely qualify as one of the best films of the year.
  4. Oct 4, 2013
    Wow! I rarely enthuse about any film these days, but this is something very special. Gravity is not only intense, devastating and ultimately life affirming, but has single handedly changed my opinion of Sandra Bullock, an actress who I normally have no time for. Full marks.
  5. Oct 4, 2013
    Intense and gripping! This movie was shot as a simple survival story in space... but I connected to it even more at a much deeper level. The way that the cinematography was shot, I felt I was in space floating with Sandra Bullock's character, Dr. Ryan Stone... that was a technical achievement in itself... But I was also able to feel what it was like to be in the mind of her character.Intense and gripping! This movie was shot as a simple survival story in space... but I connected to it even more at a much deeper level. The way that the cinematography was shot, I felt I was in space floating with Sandra Bullock's character, Dr. Ryan Stone... that was a technical achievement in itself... But I was also able to feel what it was like to be in the mind of her character. I feared with her, struggled to survive with her, felt the hopelessness of life and accepted death with her, and then, found air, found new life, and was born again with her. Sandra Bullock has put on an Oscar worthy performance, and it sure did help with Alfonso Cuaron being at the helm to guide this film. What a genius. It's been awhile since I've been deeply absorbed into the thoughts and feelings of a character on screen. This movie was truly a journey and an experience into the mind and soul of Dr. Ryan Stone's character. Wow, such an amazing film. An unforgettable experience! Must see in theaters with the biggest screen you can find. Expand
  6. Oct 9, 2013
    Its Diablo 3 and the latest Sim City only this time on the big screen. Ie looks great but quickly gets boring and leaves you feeling like youve been had.
  7. Oct 4, 2013
    In a year where some movies pass off as cheap entertainment, this movie delivers and shows the wonders and thrills of cinema. It's absolutely breathtaking while showing both the beauty and the horrors of space. The acting, visuals, cinematography, everything is about this movie is just flawless. Overall, this is truly one of the best movies ever made. It's freaking awesome! Be sure toIn a year where some movies pass off as cheap entertainment, this movie delivers and shows the wonders and thrills of cinema. It's absolutely breathtaking while showing both the beauty and the horrors of space. The acting, visuals, cinematography, everything is about this movie is just flawless. Overall, this is truly one of the best movies ever made. It's freaking awesome! Be sure to check out my YouTube channel, "TheMovieManLife" for all things movies! Expand
  8. Oct 7, 2013
    This movie has been so hyped that people are afriad to say they don't like it. I didn't like it. I was bored, Bullock didn't act she just hyperventilated through the movie. Clooney was only comic relief. Explosion scenes were unrealistic. In a "gripping" movie, when the hero lives, the audience applauds. NO applause here. Only comments of disappointment were heard on the way out. IThis movie has been so hyped that people are afriad to say they don't like it. I didn't like it. I was bored, Bullock didn't act she just hyperventilated through the movie. Clooney was only comic relief. Explosion scenes were unrealistic. In a "gripping" movie, when the hero lives, the audience applauds. NO applause here. Only comments of disappointment were heard on the way out. I wanted to like this movie as I did Apollo 13. I would not recommend this movie to anyone, even on Redbox! Expand
  9. Oct 7, 2013
    It is difficult, if not impossible, to convey how utterly dreadful "Gravity" is without a viewer having at least a small taste of experiencing it yourself. Given the overthrowing praise the film is receiving, countless thousands will waste 90 minutes of their life wading through this oddly lifeless film. The tedious screenplay evokes the worst of James Cameron but adds hundreds of SandraIt is difficult, if not impossible, to convey how utterly dreadful "Gravity" is without a viewer having at least a small taste of experiencing it yourself. Given the overthrowing praise the film is receiving, countless thousands will waste 90 minutes of their life wading through this oddly lifeless film. The tedious screenplay evokes the worst of James Cameron but adds hundreds of Sandra Bullock "Aaaaahs." Water boarding couldn't be this painful. By the 30 minutes mark you will be begging that a massive asteroid pulverize any survivors on screen; by the 60 minute mark you will beg for the 3D effects to deliver an asteroid to your own skull. They shoot horses, don't they? Expand
  10. Oct 6, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. What? Was this a joke? Is there some sort of conspiracy to give this amazing reviews?

Incredible visuals, amazing technology. Otherwise, I am pretty sure the script was written in about 40 minutes, after drinking a case of bud light lime. SPOILER: The plot is just a never ending sequence of barely surviving tragedy. The only thing that could have made it more absurd would have been if a shark attacked her after she escaped from the pod at the end.
  11. Oct 5, 2013
    I was very disappointed with this movie. I was expecting much better, but this was by no standards a terrible movie. It just could have been much better. Two things I loved in this movie were the cinematography as a whole and the action sequences. The effects were good and the camera angles/shots were fantastic, and the action sequences were well-produced. However, this does not make upI was very disappointed with this movie. I was expecting much better, but this was by no standards a terrible movie. It just could have been much better. Two things I loved in this movie were the cinematography as a whole and the action sequences. The effects were good and the camera angles/shots were fantastic, and the action sequences were well-produced. However, this does not make up for this movie's mediocre plot. The story was extremely repetitive, very simple, and somewhat boring. Along with the underachieving plot, I thought that Clooney's acting was uninspired and lazy, Bullock over-acted to the point that she got very annoying and unconvincing, there was minimal character development, and I did not feel any sympathy for the characters. While this movie had some of the best cinematography I have seen in a while, the rest of it was poorly done. This movie is not worthy of any oscars other than cinematography, and truly is not worth your time. Expand
  12. Oct 6, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. There are some beautiful visuals, but like the rest of the movie, they are repeated and repeated ad nauseum. If not for them, though, the movie would have no redeeming features. Too much of it takes place inside spacecraft that isn't functioning properly, and Bullock's hapless, rather unlikable character had me drumming my fingers, wanting to just doze off, and wondering how long we would be subjected to her suffering and fiddling futilely about. Her tedious character is in most scenes; Clooney has more life, but disappears early on, and returns only briefly. Might be worth seeing for the occasional beauty of it, if you don't expect anything in the way of story or character development. Expand
  13. Oct 8, 2013
    Visually stunning, but preposterous. Within 15 minutes, I said this is ridiculous. Not even superman could have as many lives as Sandra Bullock. The dialogue is also lame. There is some emotion, but you really don;t care. There is no comparison to 2001, except that both movies take place in space.
  14. Oct 4, 2013
    Watched this movied in 3D. It is as beautifull as it is boring and predictable. The camera shots, the 3D, the spectacular views and special effects all this is very well done. Actually the 3D is probably the best 3D i've seen in a movie. Also, I can't name any other movie that would be about Space, but not about aliens or a catastrophic end of the world (the end of Facebook in thisWatched this movied in 3D. It is as beautifull as it is boring and predictable. The camera shots, the 3D, the spectacular views and special effects all this is very well done. Actually the 3D is probably the best 3D i've seen in a movie. Also, I can't name any other movie that would be about Space, but not about aliens or a catastrophic end of the world (the end of Facebook in this picture probably does not count). They took an interesting idea and made a cliche movie out of it. That is why I can only give it a 5, maybe a 5.5 due to the fact that they managed to make it with only two and a half actors.The movie is not bad, it's just not very interesting and very cliche in the details of the plot. I would give it a 7 or 8 if they removed all the psychological crap you see in teenage movies about "being unable to move on". Expand
  15. Oct 7, 2013
    This movie is the JAWS of this generation. Gravity is a silly action movie, where the ignorant audience believes they are watching a real event happening in space. There are so many flaws in the science, I lost my disbelief. Yet, the visuals were stunning. But visuals alone, don't make a good movie. The story of Gravity was also bad, filled with clinches and up to the last minute escapes.This movie is the JAWS of this generation. Gravity is a silly action movie, where the ignorant audience believes they are watching a real event happening in space. There are so many flaws in the science, I lost my disbelief. Yet, the visuals were stunning. But visuals alone, don't make a good movie. The story of Gravity was also bad, filled with clinches and up to the last minute escapes.

The critics got this movie way wrong. A very big disappointment for me, when I thought I was going to see a serious science fiction movie. But all I got was a space circus drama.
  16. Oct 7, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I expected bad, and wow did I find it. I'm all for suspending disbelief, but this.. was so in your face about what an idiot you had to be to enjoy it.
    She checks her watch and has 7 minutes and 30 seconds before another round of space junk, then.. just puts on a space suit.. and still has over 2 minutes left.
    Let's not even go down the "he let her go because" road.
    Or the "wow, it's sure convenient to have all the space stations so close"
    Or finding a drifting Sandra after How Long?
    Or maintaining an impossible radio connection for how long?
    Or the whole "stuff got destroyed" and now it's amazingly fast and going to eat you!
    Or the whole "chain reaction" in the first place?
    AND BIG FREAKING DEAL with the 17 minute opening shot! It's not like it was all filmed in real time, it's just a long CGI scene.
    Space danger was the key, and when it's so horribly unreal I couldn't buy in. Like a supposed Dracula with pink blood running down his fangs.
    Terrible.
  17. Oct 8, 2013
    "Oscar-worthy" BS is put out there by publicists and PR folks; sorry, it was PAINFUL. Unbelievable, far-fetched, and so badly acted. A vanity project to end all vanity projects. Tom Hanks had cast away. This is her BS. Sorry, you're not that interesting. Your character is unbelievable. Your acting stinks.
  18. Oct 7, 2013
    WTF...This is one of the worst movies I have ever seen. I am scratching my head thinking what if anything I can see good about this movie. Oh Oh! I found one. I like the main two characters but not in this crap bag of a movie. I would like to ask them why the even accepted being in the movie. I'm not going to say anymore or I will piss people off. Go waste your money. You were warned.
  19. Oct 9, 2013
    I honestly don't know what to say about this film. Special effects were amazing, the film was an absolute technological marvel on par with Avatar and Lord of the Rings. The action and all aspects of this film were very artistic and beautiful. The acting was hard to judge because of the space helmets, but the voice acting that you could hear through the com was realistic and helped add toI honestly don't know what to say about this film. Special effects were amazing, the film was an absolute technological marvel on par with Avatar and Lord of the Rings. The action and all aspects of this film were very artistic and beautiful. The acting was hard to judge because of the space helmets, but the voice acting that you could hear through the com was realistic and helped add to the suspense and emotions of the film. The problem with this film is that you don't really care about the characters. They seem like amazing people walking around in space, and you get to know a little bit about their home lives, but it just wasn't enough. Really the story was all premise, which I find rather boring and aggravating in a film. 2 people floating around above the earth trying to get back home. That really is all there is to the story, so it gets pretty boring. Add to that the complete lack of an interesting compelling script, and you get a movie the was pretty pointless. If all you need is good visuals, then you will love this film, if you need something a bit more sophisticated, then you will hate it. I would have rated this film higher for the visuals and technology, but seeing as it is already extremely overrated I will just give it a zero. Expand
  20. Oct 4, 2013
    Overrated. The effects of course are amazing and the cinematography, I will say, is phenomonal... everything from the pre-production to the filming to the post must have been mind numbing for the filmmakers, but to me, a movie has to have the following to be good;
    1. characters you care about... not in this one.
    Starting the film in space was not smart. I don't know if they were trying
    1. characters you care about... not in this one.
    Starting the film in space was not smart. I don't know if they were trying to set some sort of record of having the smallest cast, which it already doesn't, if you've seen 'Buried' you will know what I am talking about. Well maybe there were 2 people in that I'm not sure. Anyways, you never really felt for the main characters... you don't care if these people go off into space... I mean I guess unless you care about Sandra Bullock and George Clooney personally...
    2. Morals. Yes, it did have a very obvious moral; never give up. But it didn't change my outlook on anything really... Just a simple pretty basic message.
    3. a great story with a creative way of telling it, along with brilliant individual scenes. You should be able to leave the theater asking your fellow movie goers which part they liked best. In this you can say "when she's breathing a lot" or "when she almost dies by the inconvenient debris which never ever happens but for some reason has happened to 3 different shuttles in the past hour"
    4. Music that connects you with the characters, and with the moment, and how you should be feeling... you need a GREAT composer if you want a great movie.

I'm tired of all these films coming out that are so critically acclaimed, but for what? Where are the films where you leave the theater just thinking about it over and over, where the film really sticks with you? Where are the films that you can leave thinking to yourself, "wow, that will be a classic?" I mean maybe in past generations, all the films they saw they just said "eh" and now we think they are classics... but if not then I'm just disappointed. Maybe I'm not as deep of a thinker as the critics, but all I can say about this film is it probably took a very very long time to get these special effects down... but honestly... I've seen more visually stunning things at OMSI, and Disneyland, and most rides at Universal Studios. I don't know why people are saying this is a once in a generation movie... It is certainly not one I will remember too well.
  21. Oct 9, 2013
    Sure it looks great but thats not what movies should only be about. Not to mention casting two celebrities who pretty much make the film not work because they are too famous. Both are overrated and are only there to make profit. Children of Men was brilliant but this? Give me a break.. Should have hired Sigourney Weaver..Ripley would have pulled herself outta that mess.
  22. Oct 5, 2013
    Dull performances and paper thin characters populate this mercifully brief film. Despite impressive visuals, the film never really comes alive. Bullock sets feminism back 50 years by portraying a hysterical, incapable astronaut while the most basic rules of science and space travel are all but ignored. Those looking for genuine sci-fi should avoid this film at all costs.
  23. Oct 6, 2013
    I offer you five re-imagined film review synopses of Gravity: An IMAX 3-D Experience:

In the great farcical tradition of Jacques Tati, this madcap caricature of modern alienation and space age technology playfully follows its heroine through an improbable labyrinth of ineptitudes, follies, and physical gaffes. A heart-wrenching portrayal of a mother’s search for human contact after

A heart-wrenching portrayal of a mother’s search for human contact after the meaningless death of her daughter.

This reboot of Méliès’s Voyage dans la lune harkens back to the golden age of silent cinema, when action, set design, and camera tricks took precedence.

A futuristic spin on the classic road trip movie, Gravity is the story of two people who find themselves helplessly drawn together by a natural force beyond their control—friendship.

À la Godard and Tarantino, Caurón dishes out his share of cinéphile fodder, with nods and winks to the Cold War Red Scare camp of such classics as Red Dawn.
  24. Feb 25, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. How the hell did this movie get such high marks? It is a true representation of many things wrong with stupid people in America (and elsewhere too I suppose). Nothing is believable in this movie, starting with putting a mentally unstable, traumatized nitwit in space after a mere 6 mos of training....really? I don't want to hear BS about metaphors and symbolism....barf...any good movie has that, but they have to fit the story. You don't hear noises in space (I did in Gravity). She just mashes buttons in Chinese and Russian...OMG stupid....

You know what. F&^k it, I'm not even gonna repeat the stupid premise or nitpick the bold disobeying of basic science in this movie. If you're too stupid to know, then you're gonna love this movie no matter what I say. It just utterly fails to ground itself in any resemblance of reality or physics. Strong marks for cinematography and CGI, but it's wasted on this pointless plot and horrible dialog.

A truly jarring movie would have been if she died alone in space slowly and helplessly, **** and pissing herself, because that is what would/should have happened. I guess all you need is a fire extinguisher to navigate space. I give this movie a 5, but rating it zero to make up for the overhyped 10s. Please don't let any acting Oscars go to this movie. Special effects or visuals maybe.

BTW the score was annoying as hell....and 75% of the time there should have been NONE. I was trying to experience the silence of space....luckily Clooney died and shut up eventually (only to come back in a dream...sigh)....just a crap movie. The suspension of disbelief is too much to ask for anyone with half a brain.
  25. Mar 24, 2014
    I'm terribly sorry. Was I supposed to like this film? The CGI was very nice but plllleeeaaase! The plot was so banal it could have been written by a 9 year old ... or a movie industry executive (same thing). Visually this film is a 9 but the rest of it is a 2. See it and then forget it as quickly as you can and go watch 2001 again. Gravity has rating of O for OVERRATED.
  26. Feb 12, 2014
    Overrated seems to be wrong. Words like "intense, gripping, breathtaking, beautiful" I've read in some reviews serve as perfect antonyms for what my opinion about the film was. Yet another splendid cinematography (it gets a 2 because of that, otherwise it would be a nice round 0) used for all the wrong reasons. I really don't understand why the critics loved it so much, this has flaws inOverrated seems to be wrong. Words like "intense, gripping, breathtaking, beautiful" I've read in some reviews serve as perfect antonyms for what my opinion about the film was. Yet another splendid cinematography (it gets a 2 because of that, otherwise it would be a nice round 0) used for all the wrong reasons. I really don't understand why the critics loved it so much, this has flaws in every direction you look at it.

My favourite reviews, especially, are the ones that refer to the film as "realistic", which is nonsense and I don't think I should explain why. The acting is horrible, and honestly I was expecting a little more from Clooney, who's been doing a lot of decent stuff recently. Sandra Bullock's gasps will be everything you hear for a good hour, and I take it they had to write them all down in the screenplay to get it to two pages.

No character development, same trite space story. The struggle for survival and blah blah, while everything I wished was for Sandra Bullock to die already.

Do not give money to this kind of cinema because you help boasting their income and encourage them to continue on this line, and we've had enough of that.
  27. Feb 9, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Very boring movie. I was falling asleep. She should have died and at least we'd grieved a tiny bit. Other than awesome visuals, the movie lacks so much. We never did attach to the character because she was so pathetic. The story is empty and void of spiritual dimension. When Matt showed up again was the best scene but it was all a dream??? Expand
  28. Mar 1, 2014
    It was like having diarrhea. Worst movie I have watched in my whole life. You didn't feel an emotional connection with the characters. The logic was heavily flawed. Very cringe worthy. The visuals was good, but not good enough to justify for everything else. And Ryan(Sandra Bullock) was mentally retarded.
  29. Jun 3, 2014
    This main girl character must be the dumbest and most stupidest human ever sent to space. If this is the best and brightest what NASA can muster then we are all doomed.
    Should i say that she is irritating as ****
  30. Oct 23, 2013
    This is definitely a decent movie and keeps you interested, but I really don't get the insane hype and feedback. Even someone at work was like "that was one of the best movies I've ever seen!". I watched it with 2 other people and we were all like, ok just another decent movie, on with our day. Yeah it's pretty good, but not even close to what the hype seems to indicate.
  31. Jan 27, 2014
    I didn't watch this movie in an Imax theatre, so maybe the "ahh" factor what might be the reason that people are giving this movie such ludicrous high ratings all over the board eludes me, but in my opinion it's an aggravatingly bad movie.
    The visuals are great, everything looks fantastic, but that's it.
    This movie screams "preposterous". it pretends, in an arrogant way, to be a
    The visuals are great, everything looks fantastic, but that's it.
    This movie screams "preposterous". it pretends, in an arrogant way, to be a realistic "current time" sci-fi movie/drama, but it crashes and burns with monstrous factual errors. after the fourth physics-defying scene i couldn't watch it anymore.
    Probably a great movie if you can suspend your disbelief, but the pretence of this movie is you don't.
  32. Mar 5, 2014
    There's a better "g"-word to describe this movie--Garbage. I rented this last night and was incredibly disappointed. This is oscar-worthy? Dallas Buyers Club, absolutely. Her, definitely. But Sandra Bullock fumbling around in space for 90 minutes with a George Clooney voiceover? It doesn't work. It's not interesting, it's not gripping, and it doesn't translate to anyone who hasn'tThere's a better "g"-word to describe this movie--Garbage. I rented this last night and was incredibly disappointed. This is oscar-worthy? Dallas Buyers Club, absolutely. Her, definitely. But Sandra Bullock fumbling around in space for 90 minutes with a George Clooney voiceover? It doesn't work. It's not interesting, it's not gripping, and it doesn't translate to anyone who hasn't been in space, which is probably about 99.99% of the human population. Apollo 13 did it MUCH better, so if you're dying to see a good **** happens, even in space" flick, go for that instead.

And lemme tell ya. With all that open space out there around Earth, the Hubble Space Telescope, ISS, & Chinese station sure seem very close together….If you can float from one to the other using a can of hairspray as your propellant and NOT run out of air…I'm calling BS. A big can of BS.

In summary, the acting is trash. The script is pompous. And the story is a yawner. Read some of the other negative reviews so at least you're informed if you choose to watch it.
  33. Nov 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. How can people that live as movie critics give average 96 ?
    Its a good movie and the meaning of it is really nice.
    But its not that good at all, i don't see anything worthy a 96 score in this movie, nothing.
    Its a really nice story about her daughter and that but i mean, a masterpiece 96 score? No.
  34. May 21, 2014
    Gravity isnt a bad film, it isnt exactly good either... it is, however, very, very overated..only good point is that the visuals are stunning.........
  35. Nov 17, 2013
    Brilliant and innovative special visual effects are the main reason to see this intermittently gripping movie set in space. First rate production design and cinematography, along with great sound and an appropriate score complete a high quality technical package. The story, though, is minimal to say the least. Still, see it for the visuals and if possible in IMAX 3D. My only wish is that IBrilliant and innovative special visual effects are the main reason to see this intermittently gripping movie set in space. First rate production design and cinematography, along with great sound and an appropriate score complete a high quality technical package. The story, though, is minimal to say the least. Still, see it for the visuals and if possible in IMAX 3D. My only wish is that I had liked it more. Expand
  36. Feb 19, 2014
    I think is the time I've been more disappointed with a films. I only go to the cinema about once per year, because of the price and the poor quality of the films, having seen the reveiws of Gravity I decided to spend about 22 pounds to see with my wife a 3D version of this films...well, I fell asleep after 25 minutes, the films is SO TEDIOUS, I couldn't stand it! the visuals are Ok, but toI think is the time I've been more disappointed with a films. I only go to the cinema about once per year, because of the price and the poor quality of the films, having seen the reveiws of Gravity I decided to spend about 22 pounds to see with my wife a 3D version of this films...well, I fell asleep after 25 minutes, the films is SO TEDIOUS, I couldn't stand it! the visuals are Ok, but to be fare, I was impress at any moment for anything about them...

Seriously I think is the most overrated films ever!!!!

By the way, the films is full of cliches, the character of clooney is something quite pathetic...
  37. Apr 14, 2014
    The visuals alone are so stunning and gorgeous (10 out of 10) and they make me give the film an 8. I don´t even know how they made it. It´s real, it´s tense and it´s a crazy journey that should be epic in all fronts. But on the other hand I have some problems with it. The script/story is weak. There´s not much more to enjoy than the visuals. Let´s just say the story itself is average. TheThe visuals alone are so stunning and gorgeous (10 out of 10) and they make me give the film an 8. I don´t even know how they made it. It´s real, it´s tense and it´s a crazy journey that should be epic in all fronts. But on the other hand I have some problems with it. The script/story is weak. There´s not much more to enjoy than the visuals. Let´s just say the story itself is average. The most important thing in a film will always be the script , character development and the acting. No matter how good the rest of the things are, a film can´t get a 9 or 10 if it lacks (even if it´s on purpose, like probably in this case) a great script. That´s why I "only" give it an 8. The acting from Sandra Bullock surprised me. I have never appreciated her work, I don´t consider her one of the best actresses at all. But I have to admit she was very solid, great performance. Despite everything, it is a must see and it´s not long. You won´t regret watching it. It´s a fantastic adventure. Expand
  38. Nov 2, 2013
    To be honest I was expecting better. The visuals are impressive but the movie lack a story its just a succession of events to keep the audience interested, but the bad part is that is quite predictable.
  39. Oct 22, 2013
    This is no transformers or any action packed blockbuster, but is a gripping, intense film that will keep you at the edge of your seat throughout. A refreshing and emotional thrill ride for those riddled with action blockbuster fatigue, you will leave the theatre feeling that it had been worth every cent.

Stand out points of this film include the visual effects, cinematography, and

Stand out points of this film include the visual effects, cinematography, and Sandra Bullocks. It's still in theatres so I definitely recommend watching, in 3D for that extra wow factor.
  40. Mar 4, 2014
    I can't believe this won Oscars. I have seen the same kind of graphics in video games, so I was not impressed. The acting is so boring. Boring dialog. I was glad when George Cloony's character floated into space, so that I didn't have to listen to that stupid country music and his boring conversations. I feel asleep and don't know if I can bring myself to finish this sleeper of a movie.I can't believe this won Oscars. I have seen the same kind of graphics in video games, so I was not impressed. The acting is so boring. Boring dialog. I was glad when George Cloony's character floated into space, so that I didn't have to listen to that stupid country music and his boring conversations. I feel asleep and don't know if I can bring myself to finish this sleeper of a movie. Thank goodness I didn't pay to see this in the theater. Save your money and your time by skipping this movie. Expand
  41. Oct 26, 2013
    Gravity attempts to portray what astronauts would actually encounter on space missions, how space walks would actually unfold, and the hostility of the environment of space towards anything resembling Earthling life.

The ninety or so minutes of Gravity are the linear unfolding of a series of destructive events in the lives of Astronauts Ryan (Sandra Bullock) and Kowalski (George Clooney). Director’s Alfonso Cuarón’s hones in on these destructive events, treating them as a single, passing moment in time. A moment of crisis.

As far as doing anything in space is ever considered routine, Gravity opens with a group of astronauts undertaking what seem to be standard, routine repairs to the outside of their ship. The tone is jovial, if not a little tense as Clooney zips around the ship’s vicinity with a jet pack jokingly. He wants to break the current space walk record of seventy-five minutes. But Mission Control suddenly issues a warning. A massive field of space debris is headed straight for them.

From here on, only chaos reigns as Cuarón begins to eliminate all probable positive outcomes, one by one. After the astronaut’s ship is destroyed beyond repair Ryan and Kowalski attempt to propel themselves a floatable distance to a space station. As they push forward through space’s vacuum, towards their beacon of hope, space’s vastness and hostility are emphasized, along with their minisculity; “I hate space,” says Ryan somewhat lightheartedly. This comes after she has just been precariously saved from a perpetual spinning away into deep space, a particularly claustrophobic moment of the film, or rather, a moment in extreme of claustrophobia’s exact opposite.

Gravity has all the individual parts of a film rated high, near a 10, but once the parts are assembled, the whole is not equal to the parts. Even though the film is shot in space, and is set to depict a realistic portrayal of how events like these could take place, the film is really just about Ryan, a single human’s struggle to survive, and then with this revelation the epic space setting becomes incidental.

Problem: Ryan is not an interesting character. She seems ill prepared for such a dangerous space mission, and when she talks about her daughter, in a moment that I assume is used to attempt to ground the film in reality by showing us the why, we don’t care about her daughter. The current situation at hand is much more interesting. Including this talk about life back home was a mistake that took me out of the moment. I don’t care about Earth here; I care about this amazing crisis taking place just above Earth. A space movie should emphasize themes bigger than the individual. The mission should be more important than the life of the astronaut. Simply making it back to Earth alive is not an exciting enough conclusion.

Although maybe the best of her career, Bullock still delivers a subpar portrayal of a character that is herself subpar. I loved Cuarón’s Children of Men and I feel here Cuarón’s work is great. From a technical perspective, Cuarón’s filmmaking is incredible, the cinematography stunning, the portrayal of space amazing, so what went wrong? Besides a storyline that fails to transcend human matters, a factor that Cuarón may have been able to gloss over under different circumstances, when a film centers on a single actor, and that actor is Sandra Bullock, to quote Yeats “Things fall apart; the center cannot hold.”
  42. Oct 7, 2013
    I'm not sure why people are so enamored with this film. It's pretty good, but not spectacular. George Clooney was too much his typical self to give him much credit for acting. Sandra Bullock perhaps pushed into new territory as far as her acting goes, but when her scenes required genuine emotion, she was hardly convincing. The best thing this film has going for it is neither the scriptI'm not sure why people are so enamored with this film. It's pretty good, but not spectacular. George Clooney was too much his typical self to give him much credit for acting. Sandra Bullock perhaps pushed into new territory as far as her acting goes, but when her scenes required genuine emotion, she was hardly convincing. The best thing this film has going for it is neither the script nor the acting, nor even the direction or pacing, but the visual effects. Expand
  43. Nov 8, 2013
    Edgy and ground breaking We felt this film delivered much more than initially thought possible from 2 actors and a basic concept. The movie keeps you connected and on the edge of your seat for pretty much the whole experience. Top notch work by everyone involved!
  44. Oct 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm giving this a 91/100. The movie is beautifully shot and is exciting to watch. It's a testament to Alfonso Cuaron. However, there are some major flaws with the movie that make me feel that it should be rated significantly lower than a 96. First, the writing is bad. It was written by the Cuaron brothers, and I'm not sure if they are professional writers, but there are some major flaws in the writing. For instance, when Sandra Bullock should be breathing slowly to save oxygen, the characters find excuses to talk until their tanks are too low. Second, the movie is incredibly unrealistic in that she is jumping from space station to space station as if they are all only within a few hundred feet of each other. Then, the space debris always come at the perfect time to add suspense to the movie. The movie seems somewhat hollow as it won't leave the audience thinking about anything after it's over it's a simple, although well executed 70 minute modest thriller. I was never really worried for Sandra Bullock's character I didn't really care if she lived or died. It's just a cheap movie. But, the effects are great and I think it probably made it seem like Space more than any other movie before. Expand
  45. Oct 6, 2013
    Exceptional portrayal of the human spirit in both frailty and spirit under the dire stress of life and death scenarios. Stunning special effects and amazing cinematography throughout. Good tempo in the ebb and flow of action and human aspects and never really overdone in trying to add comedy as some Sandra Bullock movies have done. The ending could have been a little better, but worksExceptional portrayal of the human spirit in both frailty and spirit under the dire stress of life and death scenarios. Stunning special effects and amazing cinematography throughout. Good tempo in the ebb and flow of action and human aspects and never really overdone in trying to add comedy as some Sandra Bullock movies have done. The ending could have been a little better, but works for the movie. Though it was a little flat. Highly recommend in IMAX 3-D. Expand
  46. Oct 8, 2013
    Great movie with awesome visuals superb acting and intense atmosphere. Cinematic is beautifully filmed, you feel like you are with Dr. Ryan in every scene. and Definitely an Oscar contender in multiple categories!
  47. Oct 10, 2013
    GRAVITY: Amazing to see how somebody can choose such topic to film and even surprising how beautifully implemented it Simply Wow Sheer technical finesse with 'awe' This movie fills in void created for space odyssey kind movie in past few years Its no electrifying drama or high octane action Its a simple documentary style movie that grips with its portrayal of simple emotions of fear,GRAVITY: Amazing to see how somebody can choose such topic to film and even surprising how beautifully implemented it Simply Wow Sheer technical finesse with 'awe' This movie fills in void created for space odyssey kind movie in past few years Its no electrifying drama or high octane action Its a simple documentary style movie that grips with its portrayal of simple emotions of fear, win, will, beauty in a magnificent way and technology Running length of less than 2 hrs Favor yourself to this visual treat Must Watch ..

RATING: *

48. Oct 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I had high hopes on this movie, i thought it would be more intense, the whole time, like in the beginning of the movie when she was spinning without control and later alone in the space, amazing. Awesome graphics, but after george clooney died its like a Friday the 13th for sandra bullock and the only way that she can realize how to get back to earth is to have a trip thinking like George Clooney's character. In despite of that it was really entertaining Expand
  49. Nov 16, 2013
    Thoroughly enjoyable action thriller that kept me on the edge of my seat throughout! Great visuals (probably the first film since avatar to make good use of 3D) and even better sound effects. Bullock and George Clooney nail their roles but it is ultimately the fast paced intense action sequences that earns my recommendation to watch this film. One of the best of 2013, go out and see thisThoroughly enjoyable action thriller that kept me on the edge of my seat throughout! Great visuals (probably the first film since avatar to make good use of 3D) and even better sound effects. Bullock and George Clooney nail their roles but it is ultimately the fast paced intense action sequences that earns my recommendation to watch this film. One of the best of 2013, go out and see this on the big screen while you still can. Expand
  50. Nov 25, 2013
    Magnificent. Perfect visuals, direction, atmosphere, and music. An absolute Tour de Force from director Alfonso Cuaron. Just a modern space masterpiece. Its no Solaris or 2001: A Space Odyssey, but its destined to become a classic.
  51. Nov 12, 2013
    Gravity is simply an incredible (emotional) journey. I saw it in IMAX and it completely blew my mind. I just sat there and stared at the beautiful scenery. The cinematography is amazing, and it'll surely win an Academy Award for Emmanuel Lubezki for this masterful work. I can only praise this movie really. The acting (Bullock is excellent), the music, the atmosphere... it's nearGravity is simply an incredible (emotional) journey. I saw it in IMAX and it completely blew my mind. I just sat there and stared at the beautiful scenery. The cinematography is amazing, and it'll surely win an Academy Award for Emmanuel Lubezki for this masterful work. I can only praise this movie really. The acting (Bullock is excellent), the music, the atmosphere... it's near perfection. Go see it in IMAX if you haven't already, you won't regret it. It's easily one of the best films of the year, and probably one of the best I've ever seen. Expand
  52. Nov 20, 2013
    Few other movies can exploit the empathy the audience is capable of feeling for the protagonist of a movie so well. And when said protagonist is placed in a situation so dire, so desperate, and so lonely, you're with her on the experience the whole way through; and that experience, doesn't have a single dull moment. Simply outstanding.
  53. Feb 28, 2014
    While the visuals and sound brought this up a couple of points for me, the story itself was linear, very predictable and just boring. Seriously cannot see what all the fuss was about....
  54. Nov 30, 2013
    I'm sorry to say that overall this movie was a great disappointment with no real charm apart the residual left over from George Clooney's performance. A generic and implausible set of events wrapped up in amazing visuals, sound familiar?
  55. Nov 9, 2013
    This is undisputedly one of the most well written movies of the year. It only has two characters (spoiler alert!) Yet it remained relatively funny with George Clooneys signature comic relief. The reason for this unusually high rating is no surprise. I find it interesting just from personal experience that people who see this movie will either LOVE this movie, or will puke during all of theThis is undisputedly one of the most well written movies of the year. It only has two characters (spoiler alert!) Yet it remained relatively funny with George Clooneys signature comic relief. The reason for this unusually high rating is no surprise. I find it interesting just from personal experience that people who see this movie will either LOVE this movie, or will puke during all of the nauseating scenes of space crashes and uncontrolled flight. I recommend you see this movie, just bring a barf bag! Expand
  56. Nov 12, 2013
    that movie is as short as it give you the meaning that the normal classic movie did survive in that movie wasn't easier as normal movie which put hero in a large distance in a real situation with a scientifically problem make you believe the situation and otherwise it's make a lot of people hasten to be astronaut that made my think that is the technology of the movie is so strong and inthat movie is as short as it give you the meaning that the normal classic movie did survive in that movie wasn't easier as normal movie which put hero in a large distance in a real situation with a scientifically problem make you believe the situation and otherwise it's make a lot of people hasten to be astronaut that made my think that is the technology of the movie is so strong and in the monument Expand
  57. Nov 12, 2013
    Original, unpredictable, edge of your seat movie. The true terror of isolation is explored in excruciating detail Director Alfonso Cuarón knows how to stretch out the sheer horror of impending death and boy does he hold you right there, so you can taste every fleeting moment. Excellently paced and completely sucker punch filled, Gravity is a breath of fresh air that cinema needs and soOriginal, unpredictable, edge of your seat movie. The true terror of isolation is explored in excruciating detail Director Alfonso Cuarón knows how to stretch out the sheer horror of impending death and boy does he hold you right there, so you can taste every fleeting moment. Excellently paced and completely sucker punch filled, Gravity is a breath of fresh air that cinema needs and so does Sandra Bullock, who shines as as stricken astronaut Dr. Ryan Stone. Brilliant. Expand
  58. Nov 12, 2013
    I'll begin with the positives (mainly because I have very few criticisms): The most notable and favourable aspect of the film are the visual effects. It's obvious that the majority of the film's $105,000,000 budget went on them as they are pure state-of-the-art and probably the best I've seen in a film to date; they create an amazing atmosphere (no pun intended) and I've never seen theI'll begin with the positives (mainly because I have very few criticisms): The most notable and favourable aspect of the film are the visual effects. It's obvious that the majority of the film's $105,000,000 budget went on them as they are pure state-of-the-art and probably the best I've seen in a film to date; they create an amazing atmosphere (no pun intended) and I've never seen the Earth look so gorgeous. Secondly, the acting. The (more or less) two man cast brings a sense of loneliness and makes the vast spacescape look even bigger. Bullock and Clooney are perfect choices for the parts and they do their job well with Bullock switching it up a little with gender roles. Thirdly; the cinematography. The camera angles are absolutely brilliant and they really give the film a realistic feel. Fourthly; the realism. The film keeps very close to realism when it comes to the physics; a notable part would be the soundless destruction of the space stations. The films 90 minute run-time may seem quite short for a sci-fi thriller but this serves plenty and leaves a lasting effect on the viewer. I'd recommend Gravity for anyone; you don't have to be a sci-fi movie buff to enjoy this visual masterpiece. I have hardly any criticisms apart from the films storyline didn't quite go in my favour but that doesn't douse its brilliance. All I can say now is, See you at the Academy Awards Gravity! Expand
  59. Nov 20, 2013
    In all my years of being an avid film-goer, I have never been so captivated by 90 minutes of cinema. Gravity is a paragon of art, that displays that there are no technical boundaries with regards to special effects. Do not think that this film, being a survival film set in space, will trudge through its entire length with no intense moments. It promises to deliver, and after the first 5In all my years of being an avid film-goer, I have never been so captivated by 90 minutes of cinema. Gravity is a paragon of art, that displays that there are no technical boundaries with regards to special effects. Do not think that this film, being a survival film set in space, will trudge through its entire length with no intense moments. It promises to deliver, and after the first 5 minutes you are catapulted into an adventure filled with exquisite beauty and moments that will have you holding your breath. Expand
  60. Nov 16, 2013
    A must see in theaters. Very glad I didn't just wait for this on Bluray! Intense graphics alone are worth the price of admission. Now I'll admit this was a little thin on story but if you want some eye candy go see it.
  61. Nov 17, 2013
    A movie that shows to the public, how a small story can be at same time a big story. Afonso shows us where the human can go and how can go. You have to watch at less 3 times to really understand what Gravity is. Surprised me 9/10.
  62. Nov 19, 2013
    GRAVITY Don't Let This Go!
    It's a Visual Paradise. The film transports you to space in every cinematic way possible.
    Sandra Bullock was good, the premise was amazing and your heart will be racing through the whole experience!
    Camera and Direction was innovative
    3Dfx and vfx were breathtaking
    Sound Effects AWESOME!!

Go watch it An experience you won't forget!
  63. Nov 20, 2013
    Gravity may have been one of my favorite and Greatest movies of all time, however, it does have it's faults. My biggest problem with this movie was the soundtrack (not sound effects), the soundtrack in this just felt like a cheap way of raising tension without really having any substance... The sound effects on the other hand were dazzling, when something bad was happening, it was clearGravity may have been one of my favorite and Greatest movies of all time, however, it does have it's faults. My biggest problem with this movie was the soundtrack (not sound effects), the soundtrack in this just felt like a cheap way of raising tension without really having any substance... The sound effects on the other hand were dazzling, when something bad was happening, it was clear through the absolutely superb sound design. One of the most impressive things about this movie is the way it was shot, Alfonso Cuaron is known for his extra-long takes which play right into the ballpark of Gravity. Throughout the entire movie, the shots that lingered for a while, never felt like they had overstayed there welcome, every shot had a purpose and intrigued a certain emotion. All in all, this was an exceptional movie that is worth anyone's time (best to watch in 3D)!

I give this movie an 8.5!
  64. Nov 21, 2013
    Amazing! The effects are absolutely beautiful and for once the 3D actually feels important. The film is a well acted thrill ride through an insane array of difficulties. At times I almost felt too caught up in the film and afterwards I was kind of exhausted after 90 minutes of having a very high pulse.
  65. Nov 23, 2013
    A spectacle to say the least; Gravity is a beautifully executed anxiety attack with no intention of letting up. A film well worth its universal acclaim.
  66. Nov 23, 2013
    This is a gripping and thrilling film that kept me on the edge of my seat all the way through. The graphics were AMAZING! I actually thought they filmed this in space because it was SO realistic. George Clooney was great and funny even in the most serious parts of the film, and Sandra Bullock made it so realistic! It totally attacked my emotions and I felt physically and mentally exhaustedThis is a gripping and thrilling film that kept me on the edge of my seat all the way through. The graphics were AMAZING! I actually thought they filmed this in space because it was SO realistic. George Clooney was great and funny even in the most serious parts of the film, and Sandra Bullock made it so realistic! It totally attacked my emotions and I felt physically and mentally exhausted afterwards. I recommend this to everyone and it may sound like a boring old space movie but it will blow you away!!! I highly recommend this so go watch it NOW!! Expand
  67. Jan 27, 2014
    Visuals, atmosphere, Immersion is Triple AAA no doubt. Cinema Technology showcasing its unlimited potential as we watch stunning visuals in IMAX. However, visuals alone cannot make a movie good. The storyline was unfortunately below average with VERY VERY weak character development. Im not saying the acting was bad.. its just there is absolutely nothing interesting about their characters.Visuals, atmosphere, Immersion is Triple AAA no doubt. Cinema Technology showcasing its unlimited potential as we watch stunning visuals in IMAX. However, visuals alone cannot make a movie good. The storyline was unfortunately below average with VERY VERY weak character development. Im not saying the acting was bad.. its just there is absolutely nothing interesting about their characters. This movie definately does not deserve a 0 or 1 rating, but im afraid more than 5 or 6 is pushing it. The movie had the potential, it just did not deliver Expand
  68. Jan 2, 2014
    Very good Alfonso Cuaron, you did it right, with just one stage, and two experimented actors you made an amazing suspense sci-fi movie. But why the story and the dialogue has to be so limited? I think you could done something better.
    Anyway, Gravity is the perfect movie for someone who loves visual effects and intense scenes of drama.
  69. Jan 23, 2014
    One of the most over-rated films in the modern era. At times truly ungripping, this film is just about saved by some breath-taking cinematography. But you can only gawp at breaking machinery and planet Earth for so long, and after about 20 minutes the film settles into a distinctly average film and much like the main character I can't wait to return to Earth.
  70. Feb 22, 2014
    Now obviously I don't have to say anything about the visuals of this movie and how astounding they are because you'll hear that from anyone who sees it. I would also say Sandra Bullocks acting is very well done despite not getting the best written character. The script in my opinion is the biggest weak point to this movie for me. The first time the debris hits them I was blown away, and INow obviously I don't have to say anything about the visuals of this movie and how astounding they are because you'll hear that from anyone who sees it. I would also say Sandra Bullocks acting is very well done despite not getting the best written character. The script in my opinion is the biggest weak point to this movie for me. The first time the debris hits them I was blown away, and I was really excited and anxious about if they would make it. But then it just seems t repeat itself over and over again and I started to care a little less after each bad thing that happens to her. This is one of the unluckiest people ever. Worth a watch for the amazing visuals but that pretty much the only reason to watch it, just like Avatar. Expand
  71. Feb 11, 2014
    Visually, I've never seen anything quite like it. My problem was that I I had a hard time turning off the technician side of my brain. I treated this film as a scenario rather than sci-fi, and frankly, I didn't buy it. (And from the comments I heard recently by the astronauts aboard the ISS who saw the film, neither did they.) Too many laws of physics broken for my taste.

Bullock did a

Bullock did a fairly good job as Ryan Stone, but Clooney's alpha-male bluster made me want to wretch.

Great effects don't make a great movie. They are supposed to enhance a strong story and 'Gravity' is certainly lacking in that department.

Having said all of that, I was entertained for 90 minutes, so I can't trash this film completely...but a Best Picture nomination...you gotta be kidding me.

Gotta call a spade a spade...'Gravity' is at best a great idea for a simulation ride at Universal Studios, nothing more.
  72. JFT
    Feb 1, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Whilst the premise is fairly original and the acting perfectly adequate, the overall plot comes off as repetitive and dragged out. After the third round of deadly debris it becomes hard to sympathize for the protagonist, and the dire, hopeless situation becomes almost humourous as she floats away to the third space station, only just managing to escape the debris, of course. The saving grace of this film is the overall cinema experience it provides, though given the bland plot its replay value is practically non-existent. The DVD and Blu-Ray copies of 'Gravity' will sit on the shelf gathering dust. Expand
  73. Feb 21, 2014
    Gravity (2013): Utterly Weightless

Gravity (2013): Utterly Weightless

Let's just get this out of the way up front- if you're to garner even one iota of enjoyment out of Gravity it must be viewed on the largest screen possible donning a pair of 3D glasses. Surround sound is also imperative but if you've managed a Big Screen 3D setup, odds are you've got the audio side of the equation covered. Experiencing Gravity in any other way is simply not an option. I was fortunate enough to see Gravity on a 55" active 3D display in Dolby 5.1 (my home theater setup) and that would be considered the bare minimum requirement. It's certainly no Imax. Imagine watching the latest Pixar flick on a portable black and white monitor with the sound muted. Sound like fun? No? Then don't bother watching this in the comfort of your living room unless your home theater meets AT LEAST the previously stated requirements. This really can't be stressed enough. Onto the review...

2001, Alien, Moon. These films are considered classics of American cinema for very good reason, they all have superb story arcs bolstered by deep, rich character development. Alfonso Cuarón’s latest theatrical release, Gravity, has neither. Much like the empty environment the film takes place in, Gravity offers up breathtaking visuals but is utterly devoid of anything else.

Instead of a proper film, we're "treated" to an artistic experiment in the use of state of the art visual and audio effects to induce an intimate form of awe and panic. Something a standard 2D stereo film can't possibly replicate. And, as such, it's a smashing success. In one especially intense scene early on during Act I, Cuarón utilizes his trademarked long form single camera shot sequence (13 minutes to be exact) to make us feel the empty helplessness that Dr. Ryan (played adequately by Sandra Bullock) is surely experiencing. It works to great effect, and don't be surprised if a bit of sweat drips from your brow in the process.

So far, so good and we feel invested in our own survival. Not Dr. Ryan's survival mind you, she doesn't exist so much as a character but more of a human prop to advance the films running time. No, the clever use of 3D photography has us invested far more in our own well being then either that of Dr. Ryan or Matt Kowalsky (again, adequately played by George Clooney). I, for one, have felt neither dread nor danger in the cinema or my own couch outside of this expertly crafted opening sequence.

And then...nothing. This pony has flawlessly performed it's single trick. And it is quite the trick, but not something that can sustain any amount of interest past the 30 minute mark. I take pride in writing spoiler free reviews, so suffice it to say Gravity takes place in space (that much should already be abundantly clear), while "space stuff" sporadically explodes silently, life support mechanisms fail, and our two protagonists fight to make their way back to Cape Canaveral, or any place on Earth really, in one piece.

While a superficial attempt at character development is made by the filmmakers to inject Dr. Ryan and Kowalsky with heart and soul, it doesn't work. The failure to make us care about the films only two human assets is Gravity's greatest weakness. Will Ryan and Kowalsky triumph over the terrors of being stranded in space when their only ride back home has been devastated, or will they float endlessly into the dark abyss until they die slowly of asphyxiation? We have no emotional investment tied to either character, so who cares if they live or die? Maybe Kowalsky is a pedophile who deserves it. I don't know anything about him other than he was at Mardi Gras in 1987 and likes to talk about it.

Ultimately, Gravity is a visual spectacle that elevates the use of 3D in moviemaking to new heights, much like James Cameron did with Avatar. The difference being Cameron told a story, one that we actually cared about. The same can't be said for Gravity.

As much as the movie going audience and critics alike bemoan the use of 3D in modern filmmaking, Gravity shows us that, when done properly, the addition of a third dimension draws us in much closer to the story being told. But if that story isn't engaging and the characters aren't captivating, no amount of floating wrenches and exploding spaceships will transform a lackluster movie into a good one.

I love 3D and hope Gravity's success spurs a second renaissance for the fading technology. If nothing else, this film proves without question that 3D can draw viewers into a movie in a way that standard two dimensions never could. What 3D will never be able to do, however, is create an interesting story where one simply doesn't exist, as is the case with Gravity.

If you have the means to experience this film the way it was intended, you should absolutely do so. It very well may change your opinion on the importance of 3D in movie making. Just don't go in expecting a good movie, because Gravity isn't one.
  74. Feb 17, 2014
    When I watched this movie, I thought it was 1998 .. because that was the last time either of these main characters were popular!

The movie looked great ! .. but Clooney and Bullock ! ? are you serious! ..ruined the movie for me. I could guess everything that was coming, and most parts I just kept thinking " how typical " .. it could of been a great movie, but it was obviously dumbed

I could guess everything that was coming, and most parts I just kept thinking " how typical " .. it could of been a great movie, but it was obviously dumbed down for the mainstream and from the look of the 8.1 score it has got, it worked ! .. but not for me!

My least favourite part, the country music and good old American boys themed start, god I hated that more that fundamentalist Christians.. they would of loved it though LOL
  75. Feb 20, 2014
    I'll preface this by saying I'm a film maker, so I might be a bit jaded...

But this movie is about as enjoyable as being hit in the face with a big flopy donkey dick, easily one of the worst pieces of trash I've ever seen. Plot? who needs one. Characters? naaa, that's old. Empathy? Depth? development? screw it. I don't know how a movie can make this many mistakes. besides being
    I'll preface this by saying I'm a film maker, so I might be a bit jaded...

I don't know how a movie can make this many mistakes. besides being boring as **** it makes no sense, and from a technical standpoint is ludicrous. I see now why chris hadfield found this movie so hard to swallow.

76. Feb 26, 2014
    This movie has the same problems as Avatar: It's all sizzle and no steak. I'm not going to lie, this is one of the most visually impressive movies I've even seen, but that's about all it has going for it. If you were expecting a gripping story filled with emotional themes about survival, love, betrayal, or revenge, then you'll no doubt be in for a disappointment.

Visuals (10/10):

Visuals (10/10): Probably one of best I've ever seen in a movie, and even better if you watch it in 3D. Don't expect to get much enjoyment if you watch it on a standard TV though.

Plot (2/10): I'm not overstating one bit when I say this: This movie has NO plot whatsoever. Without spoiling anything (although there is nothing to spoil anyways), this entire movie is about some woman in an astronaut suit floating around in space and jumping between satellites. No protagonists, antagonists, foil characters, plot-twists, climax, or any other common elements that make up a story. The intro of the movie failed to give any background information on the two characters, and the ending was highly predictable.

Characters (3/10): This movie only has two characters, and both of them were completely void of any personality whatsoever.

Clooney played as an astronaut with a one-dimensional personality with no emotion whatsoever. In one scene is was being painfully being hurled around space with space junk, and he starts saying this: "Looks like America has lost its Facebook". WTF? You are close to being chopped into pieces and you are wasting your time joking around? What's worse is that he is smiling through the entire movie with no fear whatsoever, even in times when he is close to getting killed.

If you thought Clooney was bad, then don't get me started on Bullock. Seriously, whose idea was it to choose her, out of all the people? There are far more better actors out there that could've suited this role 10x better, but I'd guess they had to please the feminists somehow. All she does is whine and complain throughout the entire movie, saying stuff like "Don't leave me all by myself!" and "N-n-n-n-n-noo!". I'm not joking when I say this, she only speaks about 10 lines through the entire movie. What's worse is that she takes her clothes off in one scene. WTF? Isn't this movie supposed to be about survival?

Emotional Content (3/10): I'm sorry but I felt no emotional attachment to Bullock whatsoever. How am I supposed to feel attached to a 50-year-old women that floats around in her underwear (which I actually found pretty disturbing), and someone who whines all the time? I literally felt like taking off her mask and hurling her into space, I just couldn't bear her any longer.

Physics (1/10): Using a fire extinguisher to chase after a satellite floating at a speed of 1000km/h+ is really realistic, right? Of course your average Mcdonalds worker will think it's realistic, but if you have even a remote background in basic physics, this entire movie will seem cringe-worthy.

All in all, this movie would make a great 4-D simulation ride at Chuck-e-Cheese's, but as a movie which you're going to sit through for 2 hours, this falls horribly flat.

Pros: Groundbreaking visuals and special effects
    Cons: Non-existent plot, horrible characters and acting, no emotional value whatsoever, cheesy unnecessary jokes, unrealistic physics
  77. Mar 1, 2014
    My god this was a horrible flick.

It mainly consisted of beautiful filming, heavy breathing, and a dumb as a sponge character. Dr Stone keeps on blithering “I am running out of oxygen” but she just babbles, fidgets and keeps babbling instead of just relaxing and breathing slowly as an astronaut would be trained to do This character was a joke. She could not get out of a public
    My god this was a horrible flick.

It mainly consisted of beautiful filming, heavy breathing, and
    a dumb as a sponge character.

This character was a joke. She could not get out of a public toilet cubicle if she locked herself in it.

The only redeeming character was Matt Kowalski but then there were
    really only two characters in the movie.

I should have just watched Vanishing Point again
  78. Mar 30, 2014
    The visual experience is tremendous. Awe-inspiring. Something that deserves to be seen on a large screen and in 3D. The soundtrack is an equally chilling accompaniment.

The plot itself blends many realistic elements with bits of fantasy. The hurtling space junk is scary enough that most viewers won't stop to ask why a medical doctor is flying in space and repairing a satellite, or why in the vastness of the Earth's orbit everything is so close together. The central narrative is a classic survival narrative of a blip of humanity up against the vastness of nature. It approaches greatness, save for an unnecessary intrusion of sentimentality that creeps in towards the end.

Still, a finely crafted and enjoyable film.
  79. Jul 14, 2014
    Beautiful. Gripping. Stellar. Riveting. An artful masterpiece of a film; the best space film of all-time; will become a timeless classic. This film IS Sandra Bullock.
  80. Apr 4, 2014
    One of the worst films I've seen. Cinematography excellent but plot was beyond weak! I was waiting for a twist at the end that would salvage something from my hour and a half of viewing but even the end was rubbish! Far fetched, scientific flawed, but acted well and the sound guys did an amazing job also. Weak storyline ruined what could have been - but definately wasn't - a first class film.
  81. May 4, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Growing up in Flower Mound, Texas, I quickly discovered that there was very little to do for a teenager without much money. If you weren't hungry for some fast food or in the mood to window shop, you might as well go home and watch television. Thankfully for me, an AMC Movie Theater opened in Highland Village not even 5 minutes away from where I live in 2007. It is very difficult to try to explain just how many afternoons and evenings I have spent there with friends or family seeing the new hit movie. Visiting there at least every other weekend, I must have spent at least $1,000 since it opened. Seven years of the good, the bad, and the ugly, and by now, I might even be considered an unofficial movie critic.
    So, a couple months ago I heard from some friends and family members about this exciting new film, Gravity. Critics raved calling it the greatest movie of 2013, destined for glory, and certain it would be considered an instant classic for years to come. I was skeptical, but they were right after all, at least about the awards. Just a little while ago, Gravity won Best Cinematography, Best Editing, and Best Director at the 2014 Oscars. By the end of the night Gravity had won seven Oscars, an impressive feat. I never thought that the trailer for some space movie with Bullock and Clooney looked particularly good, but by this point I had to see it, and so I did.
    Gravity was one of the most confused and predictable movies I have seen in the last couple of years. The whole idea of the movie for those unfamiliar is that while on a spacewalk, Dr. Ryan Stone (Bullock) and her team are hit by debris from a Russian satellite that has mysteriously exploded. Unfortunately, Dr. Stone becomes the sole survivor of the impact and must try to get home without help from NASA. This is where things start to get really confusing, as there is almost no explanation as to why no one can help Stone with the establishment of a simple radio communication. But hey, it’s a movie after all so we can look past a basic plot hole. Since the film takes place in the quiet void of space, much of the plot advancement is based entirely off of Stone’s own internal struggle of getting back to earth, and the fear that she might not be able to. However if you were hoping for a main character who is full of life and determined to fight for her life, you’re looking at the wrong movie entirely. Stone apparently has no family or friends and according to her, no one cares if she lives or dies. As if the plot wasn't struggling enough, we now have a main character that doesn’t really want to try to survive and is content to just sit in her spacecraft and wait for the inevitable. Yes, that is actually part of the movie which goes on for about 15 minutes. Earlier I mentioned that not only is the plot confusing, but it’s stupidly predictable. Once you watch the first couple of “close calls” that Stone has, you realize that that’s the entire basis of the movie. Stone simply cannot perform a single task well, so by the last half of the movie, you can accurately predict how events will play out since you know that not only is the main character an incompetent buffoon, but she’s also the luckiest person in existence. That being said, the visuals were interesting and oddly vibrant for such a drab setting. In the end though, I found Gravity to be emotionally stale, entirely expected, and a characterless excuse for some sort of space adventure. I would recommend avoiding this movie altogether, but if you must see it, borrow it from a friend or watch it on the internet. You’re better off spending $10 on a really tasty sandwich, at least that doesn't come with a side of disappointment.
  82. Jul 12, 2014
    Rating this a 10 just to balance out the negative reviews from the people who just don't get it. If any movie warrants this kind of fandom loyalty which I usually don't care for, its this movie.
  83. May 29, 2014
    What we have here is a movie with beautiful visuals; however, the plot attempts to be profound similar to Kubric's films and just cannot hold up.

I still find myself trying to figure out how this movie has won critical acclaim when there are so many holes in the plot line, that it is distracting to think logically while watching the film. This is especially true for science buffs. To sum it up, the movie offers cool visuals while functioning on the level of self-importance. If you truly want to see a great space movie, turn to Kubric's Space Odyssey; it is breathtaking.
  84. Jun 9, 2014
    Oh God I got so bored while watching this movie! I mean like stale dialogues and heavy breathing constitutes almost 80% of the film. There were a few good scenes but apart from that it was painful to watch. And no I'm not talking about sympathising with the characters, I mean like real mental pain that I suffered while watching this movie. Performances are so poor that it perfectlyOh God I got so bored while watching this movie! I mean like stale dialogues and heavy breathing constitutes almost 80% of the film. There were a few good scenes but apart from that it was painful to watch. And no I'm not talking about sympathising with the characters, I mean like real mental pain that I suffered while watching this movie. Performances are so poor that it perfectly complements the overall movie :P Expand
  85. Jul 21, 2014
    Hollywood's two most benign actors (Clooney, Bullock) carry no weight and from the outset I so wished the main characters would be sucked into the vacuum of space and obliterated by the black hole that so richly represents their talent.

The infinite depths of space as a back drop to the limited range of the actors and the simpleton script makes for great irony ....Television's 'Lost In Space' opening credit sequence had more to say.
  86. Sep 2, 2014
    "Gravity" is one of the most mind-blowing and breathtaking films I have ever seen. The cinematography is some of the best, if not, THE best cinematography in a movie, and the acting from Sandra Bullock and George Clooney is great as always. The movie is rather short, a measily 91 minutes, but that's all it needs to be a very intense experience.
  87. Sep 3, 2014
    gravity is a pioneer in the technical film industry .with breathtaking visuals.an amazing performance from sandra bulluck and amazing 3D that makes you feel like your really in space. it deserved all 7 oscer's it won and is one of the greatest movies of all time.
  88. Sep 5, 2014
    Gravity is a mind blowing looking movie about two astronauts trying to get back to earth after an unfortunate incident.With outstanding visuals and great performances, Alfonso Cuarón succeeds in entertaining you with this fantastic claustrophobic thriller.
  89. Oct 1, 2014
    The graphics were amazing, and that's about it. You should save yourself some time and go to NASA's website to view pictures of the Earth and space instead.

This movie having a 96 average is appalling. In fact, it ruins the credibility of every movie critic that gave it a positive score. The plot was as pointless and uninteresting as having a staring contest with a cat. Speaking of cats, I'm sure some fat cats in Hollywood paid off the reviewers for this garbage.

If you want to watch a more enjoyable Sci-fi movie where people go somewhere and come back, check out RocketMan. At least it's funny.
  90. Oct 31, 2014
    The film that won 7 oscars and has critical acclaim, is it really one of the best movies ever. The 2013 motion picture directed by Alfonso Cuarón and written by the director and his son Jonás cuaròn with music by upcoming British composer Steven Price and cinematography by Emmanuel Lubezki. The story centres around two main characters which are Ryan Stone (Sandra Bullock) and Matt kowalskiThe film that won 7 oscars and has critical acclaim, is it really one of the best movies ever. The 2013 motion picture directed by Alfonso Cuarón and written by the director and his son Jonás cuaròn with music by upcoming British composer Steven Price and cinematography by Emmanuel Lubezki. The story centres around two main characters which are Ryan Stone (Sandra Bullock) and Matt kowalski (George Clooney) while they are in space putting in the new hobble scope which was designed by Ryan Stone. While on their mission a Russian satellite breaks down and the debris hits their craft and form then it is a survival journey where Ryan Stone Matt Kowalski must try and survive in space. This is one of the bet motion pictures in history and especially if you watched it in IMAX 3D because the 3D was superb and the visual effects were amazing and that's why it won the Oscar for best visual effects. They social score is out of this world and gives you a sense isolation. The cinematography was the best I have ever seen because the first 12 minutes of this film is just one long take which is breath taking. The acting all round is good and the backstory to each character is good. George Clooneys whitty humour and Sandra Bullocks insecurity was brilliant. The film is an experience of a life time. This film definitely gets a 10/10 for me. Expand
  91. Ndi
    Nov 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. What a turd. TUUUUURD.

Stupid physics, plenty mistakes, personal drama that was completely unnecessary, long, drawn out, awkward pauses where they had to fill with monologues,

How does this movie even rated anything with critics? Has nobody any integrity left? I understand I get to look at Sandra Bullok's ass, but seriously, she's 49. Work out or not, 49. And for that cash, SFX was wavy at best, they had not one physicist on site (feels like he quit midway through) that could tell them that people aren't dolls and if you bow out a hatch while holding it and it thows you off, it also breaks your arm, rips the suit, and damages the airlock. Hence they cycle thing.

While she is "feeling better" about having air, the poor bastard outside was suffocating. I know they couldn't afford Clooney but come on.

Every time she gets undressed, she throws away clothes like she's in her bathroom. Keep the f*** suit, idiot, you're in space and it has AIR. You never know when you need air.

The ISS catches fire, she ignores it (while splashing water inside because what the hell, it's not like they need EVERY panel), then she fails to put out the fire because she doesn't understand reaction, then the ISS blows up and she says "I hate space". B*tch, at the time the movie happens the ISS is the single greatest achievement of the human race and you are supposed to be a scientist and you, YOU f*cked it up. YOU missed the fire, YOU couldn't operate an extinguisher, YOU killed the ISS. At this point, I'm hoping she makes it, I want her hanged.

Anyone with 6 months training can operate a NASA vehicle, fix Hubble, fly ISS's Soyuz, execute procedures in Russian, launch escape pods in Chinese because all you need is a bit of mashing of buttons I don't know why they keep that long training thing. Any half-stupid, is-sick-in-space, suicidal-tendencies 50 year old female can operate any and all space stuff, because space stuff is the same.

Station blows up, there is a billion pieces of shrapnel, 50 hit the camera, 20 hit my eyes in 3D, 140 shred the pods, NONE touch Soyuz, her, or any other important stuff.

She has been attacked by debris twice, fire once, lack of air once, tethered by chute once, and threatened several times, she never hurries. NEVER. To keep that zero-G feel, no button is ever pressed fast, no screw done soon, even when she sees the cloud of stuff coming at her, she steps out of the pod and the camera does a lazy 360. Sure, 90 seconds to impact, take the view.

I could go on for ages, this is a stupid, stupid movie, with a stupid premise, bad re-entry angles, and bad writing.

BAD WRITING.

What was that c*ap about her dead daughter? Did that pan out? No. Just another detail to make me feel sorry for her. Well it didn't work. By the time she touched down, I was hoping she drowned, and so did half the theater. She almost drowned in a space suit. Do you know how hard that is?

I hate critics. Pounding action? No pounding action. Total of 5 minutes of action. Have you forgotten 15 minutes of pulling Ryan through space? Tell me about yourself, Ryan, we don't have budget for more than this. Intimate human storytelling? My daughter is dead, my dog died, I'm depressed. Boo hoo, such a deep human connection we have now. It's not like it's artificially planted, like the faceless guy with picture of family. Or the scattered pictures of families on every single dead guy in the Horizon. And personal toys.

There is such a thing as pulling every string of my heart and it is sad.

How can you give this dump a good score?
  92. CMC
    Oct 12, 2013
    All of the 4 and 5 ranked reviews are accurate: Great CG and 3-D, dumb story, no character development, completely unedifying. I have come to mistrust metacritic user reviews, and it seems there are fake reviews for this move, but I have never seen such a mismatch between critic reviews and and the high metascore as this. So far off! This is what really gets me: the gap between the slowAll of the 4 and 5 ranked reviews are accurate: Great CG and 3-D, dumb story, no character development, completely unedifying. I have come to mistrust metacritic user reviews, and it seems there are fake reviews for this move, but I have never seen such a mismatch between critic reviews and and the high metascore as this. So far off! This is what really gets me: the gap between the slow and quiet times in space, and the complete lack of any psychological development. Sure it is a problem to get to know a character when they have a glass bubble on their head. But Malick or Kubrick could have done almost the same film, same shots and events, and it would have been moving and disturbing. This is indeed a popcorn movie and nothing more. Expand
  93. Apr 8, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Imagine a firefighter enters a building that is blazing with flames. He looks around, screams for 10 minutes, and runs away because he is completely unqualified for the job.

That is what this movie is like, except replace the firefighter with an astronaut.

The only good thing about this film is that it looks nice. But to be honest, it's not worth an hour and a half of your time to watch a film when you can just go on Imgur and type in 'nice space pictures' and start viewing galleries of visually appealing space pictures without having to listen to someone screaming and constantly gasping for air (when they are supposed to be an astronaut with some experience).

The worst part about watching this film is that when it finally finishes, you realise that Sandra Bullock is in the middle of nowhere and will probably die anyway. So much for the whole 'survival' theme.

Also, 'Gravity' doesn't make sense as a title. It should be called 'Zero Gravity', 'Zero Oxygen', or 'Screaming Lady in Space'.
  94. Jan 26, 2014
    Yes the film is technological masterpiece , visuals is great, directing is perfect and "Oscar worthy" but Gravity is simply boring and overrated.It's frustrating that no one has the guts to tell they didn't like the move, well I'm telling, i hate it. I watched 3 hours long The Wolf of Wall Street and never get bored and then I watched 90 minutes long Gravity but I was bored to death withYes the film is technological masterpiece , visuals is great, directing is perfect and "Oscar worthy" but Gravity is simply boring and overrated.It's frustrating that no one has the guts to tell they didn't like the move, well I'm telling, i hate it. I watched 3 hours long The Wolf of Wall Street and never get bored and then I watched 90 minutes long Gravity but I was bored to death with Sandra Bullock's exaggerated acting that makes you don't care what is going to happen. Expand
  95. Oct 14, 2013
    Gravity is a difficult movie to recommend or to discourage others away from. As a movie-going experience it is certainly something to behold. The visuals, as you have almost undoubtably heard by now, are stunning. This is largely due to the use of very well-done 3D that was not slapped on as a money-making afterthought. It is truly a beautiful movie.

As an entire film, however, I

As an entire film, however, I cannot say I enjoyed it. The plot was limited, the characters were thing, and, worst of all, the dialogue was unforgivably bad. Loaded with cheesey, corny, and schmaltzy lines, it served only to pull you out of the movie and make you roll your eyes. This may not be a deal breaker for everyone, but for me it was unbearable. Keep in mind that there isn't an awful lot of dialogue given the "plot" and the events in the movie, but this only means that what dialogue there is holds that much more weight.

So, if you are looking for a theatre experience, see this movie in 3D just for sake of not missing an impressive technical feat. If you are looking for a solid movie in terms of script and story, I can't recommend it. If you absolutely will not see movies in 3D and wish only to see the 2D version, I similarly can not recommend you drop the $10 per ticket. Wait to be underwhelmed at home on Netflix or Redbox DVD.
  96. Nov 15, 2013
    Coming here and seeing that the critic's score of this movie is 91 and the one of a movie like "The Green Mile" is just 61 surprised me a lot. A great trailer and then nothing: insignificant characters, repetitive plot, banal ending. Don't waste your time and money.
  97. Apr 1, 2014
    Horrible piece of sh*t, insulting physics and logic from the very premises. I won't make a list of errors here, but suffice to say it's impossible to watch this without going "what the **** why the **** every few minutes.
  98. Oct 12, 2013
    if i dont like a movie i usually give it around a 6 but this... this i give a 2, I HATED IT
    predictable
    boring
    poor acting
    this is 1 of the most over rated movies of all time
  99. Oct 20, 2013
    Visuals aside, this was a miserable, unrealistic movie. Bullock's character is clearly the most unqualified astronaut in history and is horribly frustrating and annoying to watch. If you want to see anything even remotely realistic, steer clear of this movie.
  100. Oct 12, 2013
    This movie's title was terribly, terribly misleading. Virtually the whole film was set in space, where as I'm sure you'll be well aware, there is NO GRAVITY! It was only in the last five minutes or so where any of the characters had to deal with the effects of this force. Even talented performers like Sandra Bullock and George Clooney would be hard-pressed to show any significant characterThis movie's title was terribly, terribly misleading. Virtually the whole film was set in space, where as I'm sure you'll be well aware, there is NO GRAVITY! It was only in the last five minutes or so where any of the characters had to deal with the effects of this force. Even talented performers like Sandra Bullock and George Clooney would be hard-pressed to show any significant character development from dealing with gravity in such a short amount of time. Most good Science Fiction movies, such as "Alien", feature their main subject (i.e. the title of the movie) for at least a good two thirds of their duration. I haven't been so misled since the preserve-less 1996 film "Space Jam". Expand

1. Reviewed by: James Mottram
    Nov 3, 2013
    A stunning space saga that takes off for new technical frontiers without leaving its humanity behind.
  2. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Oct 6, 2013
    Gravity is not a film of ideas, like Kubrick's techno-mystical "2001," but it's an overwhelming physical experience -- a challenge to the senses that engages every kind of dread. [7 Oct. 2013, p.88]
  3. Reviewed by: Dana Stevens
    Oct 4, 2013
    This is not to say that Gravity is a masterpiece: Unlike Cuarón’s extraordinary "Children of Men", it doesn’t quite pull off its ambitious effort to combine formal inventiveness, heart-pounding action, and intimate human storytelling. But it succeeds thrillingly at the first two of those categories, and only misses the mark on the last because it tries a little too hard — which is certainly a welcome respite from the countless sci-fi thrillers that privilege the human story not at all.