7.8

1. Oct 4, 2013
    Intense and gripping! This movie was shot as a simple survival story in space... but I connected to it even more at a much deeper level. The way that the cinematography was shot, I felt I was in space floating with Sandra Bullock's character, Dr. Ryan Stone... that was a technical achievement in itself... But I was also able to feel what it was like to be in the mind of her character. I feared with her, struggled to survive with her, felt the hopelessness of life and accepted death with her, and then, found air, found new life, and was born again with her. Sandra Bullock has put on an Oscar worthy performance, and it sure did help with Alfonso Cuaron being at the helm to guide this film. What a genius. It's been awhile since I've been deeply absorbed into the thoughts and feelings of a character on screen. This movie was truly a journey and an experience into the mind and soul of Dr. Ryan Stone's character. Wow, such an amazing film. An unforgettable experience! Must see in theaters with the biggest screen you can find. Expand
  2. Oct 5, 2013
    Dull performances and paper thin characters populate this mercifully brief film. Despite impressive visuals, the film never really comes alive. Bullock sets feminism back 50 years by portraying a hysterical, incapable astronaut while the most basic rules of science and space travel are all but ignored. Those looking for genuine sci-fi should avoid this film at all costs.
  3. Oct 6, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. What? Was this a joke? Is there some sort of conspiracy to give this amazing reviews?

Incredible visuals, amazing technology. Otherwise, I am pretty sure the script was written in about 40 minutes, after drinking a case of bud light lime. SPOILER: The plot is just a never ending sequence of barely surviving tragedy. The only thing that could have made it more absurd would have been if a shark attacked her after she escaped from the pod at the end.
  4. Oct 7, 2013
    It is difficult, if not impossible, to convey how utterly dreadful "Gravity" is without a viewer having at least a small taste of experiencing it yourself. Given the overthrowing praise the film is receiving, countless thousands will waste 90 minutes of their life wading through this oddly lifeless film. The tedious screenplay evokes the worst of James Cameron but adds hundreds of Sandra Bullock "Aaaaahs." Water boarding couldn't be this painful. By the 30 minutes mark you will be begging that a massive asteroid pulverize any survivors on screen; by the 60 minute mark you will beg for the 3D effects to deliver an asteroid to your own skull. They shoot horses, don't they? Expand
  5. Oct 7, 2013
    This movie is the JAWS of this generation. Gravity is a silly action movie, where the ignorant audience believes they are watching a real event happening in space. There are so many flaws in the science, I lost my disbelief. Yet, the visuals were stunning. But visuals alone, don't make a good movie. The story of Gravity was also bad, filled with clinches and up to the last minute escapes.

The critics got this movie way wrong. A very big disappointment for me, when I thought I was going to see a serious science fiction movie. But all I got was a space circus drama.
  6. Oct 8, 2013
    "Oscar-worthy" BS is put out there by publicists and PR folks; sorry, it was PAINFUL. Unbelievable, far-fetched, and so badly acted. A vanity project to end all vanity projects. Tom Hanks had cast away. This is her BS. Sorry, you're not that interesting. Your character is unbelievable. Your acting stinks.
  7. Oct 7, 2013
    WTF...This is one of the worst movies I have ever seen. I am scratching my head thinking what if anything I can see good about this movie. Oh Oh! I found one. I like the main two characters but not in this crap bag of a movie. I would like to ask them why the even accepted being in the movie. I'm not going to say anymore or I will piss people off. Go waste your money. You were warned.
  8. Oct 9, 2013
    I honestly don't know what to say about this film. Special effects were amazing, the film was an absolute technological marvel on par with Avatar and Lord of the Rings. The action and all aspects of this film were very artistic and beautiful. The acting was hard to judge because of the space helmets, but the voice acting that you could hear through the com was realistic and helped add to the suspense and emotions of the film. The problem with this film is that you don't really care about the characters. They seem like amazing people walking around in space, and you get to know a little bit about their home lives, but it just wasn't enough. Really the story was all premise, which I find rather boring and aggravating in a film. 2 people floating around above the earth trying to get back home. That really is all there is to the story, so it gets pretty boring. Add to that the complete lack of an interesting compelling script, and you get a movie the was pretty pointless. If all you need is good visuals, then you will love this film, if you need something a bit more sophisticated, then you will hate it. I would have rated this film higher for the visuals and technology, but seeing as it is already extremely overrated I will just give it a zero. Expand
  9. Oct 4, 2013
    Everyone knows that both Sandra Bullock and George Clooney played their rolls beautifully. But one thing I want to mention that blew me away was the unsung hero of sound design. HOLY HELL it was spectacularly done. For a setting that has no sound and to make it seem that way is a feet that is out of this world (sorry for the pun). It may sound easy just to remove the Atmos effects but really, having done sound for TV myself it is very difficult to cover up. This is a film I will take notes from in the future. Expand
  10. Oct 6, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. There are some beautiful visuals, but like the rest of the movie, they are repeated and repeated ad nauseum. If not for them, though, the movie would have no redeeming features. Too much of it takes place inside spacecraft that isn't functioning properly, and Bullock's hapless, rather unlikable character had me drumming my fingers, wanting to just doze off, and wondering how long we would be subjected to her suffering and fiddling futilely about. Her tedious character is in most scenes; Clooney has more life, but disappears early on, and returns only briefly. Might be worth seeing for the occasional beauty of it, if you don't expect anything in the way of story or character development. Expand
  11. Oct 9, 2013
    Sure it looks great but thats not what movies should only be about. Not to mention casting two celebrities who pretty much make the film not work because they are too famous. Both are overrated and are only there to make profit. Children of Men was brilliant but this? Give me a break.. Should have hired Sigourney Weaver..Ripley would have pulled herself outta that mess.
  12. Oct 4, 2013
    Utterly breathtaking. Gravity is a terrifying, realistic, beautiful and amazing thrill ride filled with non-stop suspense and incredible tension along with fantastic visuals and score. This is definitely a must see film and can definitely qualify as one of the best films of the year.
  13. Oct 12, 2013
    It was Bullock's Cast Away. 90 minutes of ho-hum, I'm floating in space from one station to another, until I finally parachute down to a remote lake. We saw it in 3-D, but each of us fell asleep several times. When we woke up, more of the same...Sandra frantically pushing buttons in Russian and then Mandarin, hoping that she pushed the right one. When she was floating in space, she desperately reached for parts of the three space stations, and fortunately was able to grab something at the last minute. Big surprise.
    There was about 10 minutes of interaction with Clooney, but the rest of it was her mumbling to herself. Waaayyyy overrated.
  14. Oct 7, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I expected bad, and wow did I find it. I'm all for suspending disbelief, but this.. was so in your face about what an idiot you had to be to enjoy it.
    She checks her watch and has 7 minutes and 30 seconds before another round of space junk, then.. just puts on a space suit.. and still has over 2 minutes left.
    Let's not even go down the "he let her go because" road.
    Or the "wow, it's sure convenient to have all the space stations so close"
    Or finding a drifting Sandra after How Long?
    Or maintaining an impossible radio connection for how long?
    Or the whole "stuff got destroyed" and now it's amazingly fast and going to eat you!
    Or the whole "chain reaction" in the first place?
    AND BIG FREAKING DEAL with the 17 minute opening shot! It's not like it was all filmed in real time, it's just a long CGI scene.
    Space danger was the key, and when it's so horribly unreal I couldn't buy in. Like a supposed Dracula with pink blood running down his fangs.
    Terrible.
  15. Oct 7, 2013
    This movie has been so hyped that people are afriad to say they don't like it. I didn't like it. I was bored, Bullock didn't act she just hyperventilated through the movie. Clooney was only comic relief. Explosion scenes were unrealistic. In a "gripping" movie, when the hero lives, the audience applauds. NO applause here. Only comments of disappointment were heard on the way out. I wanted to like this movie as I did Apollo 13. I would not recommend this movie to anyone, even on Redbox! Expand
  16. Oct 4, 2013
    Overrated. The effects of course are amazing and the cinematography, I will say, is phenomonal... everything from the pre-production to the filming to the post must have been mind numbing for the filmmakers, but to me, a movie has to have the following to be good;
    1. characters you care about... not in this one.
    Starting the film in space was not smart. I don't know if they were trying
    to set some sort of record of having the smallest cast, which it already doesn't, if you've seen 'Buried' you will know what I am talking about. Well maybe there were 2 people in that I'm not sure. Anyways, you never really felt for the main characters... you don't care if these people go off into space... I mean I guess unless you care about Sandra Bullock and George Clooney personally...
    2. Morals. Yes, it did have a very obvious moral; never give up. But it didn't change my outlook on anything really... Just a simple pretty basic message.
    3. a great story with a creative way of telling it, along with brilliant individual scenes. You should be able to leave the theater asking your fellow movie goers which part they liked best. In this you can say "when she's breathing a lot" or "when she almost dies by the inconvenient debris which never ever happens but for some reason has happened to 3 different shuttles in the past hour"
    4. Music that connects you with the characters, and with the moment, and how you should be feeling... you need a GREAT composer if you want a great movie.

I'm tired of all these films coming out that are so critically acclaimed, but for what? Where are the films where you leave the theater just thinking about it over and over, where the film really sticks with you? Where are the films that you can leave thinking to yourself, "wow, that will be a classic?" I mean maybe in past generations, all the films they saw they just said "eh" and now we think they are classics... but if not then I'm just disappointed. Maybe I'm not as deep of a thinker as the critics, but all I can say about this film is it probably took a very very long time to get these special effects down... but honestly... I've seen more visually stunning things at OMSI, and Disneyland, and most rides at Universal Studios. I don't know why people are saying this is a once in a generation movie... It is certainly not one I will remember too well.
  17. Oct 5, 2013
    I was very disappointed with this movie. I was expecting much better, but this was by no standards a terrible movie. It just could have been much better. Two things I loved in this movie were the cinematography as a whole and the action sequences. The effects were good and the camera angles/shots were fantastic, and the action sequences were well-produced. However, this does not make up for this movie's mediocre plot. The story was extremely repetitive, very simple, and somewhat boring. Along with the underachieving plot, I thought that Clooney's acting was uninspired and lazy, Bullock over-acted to the point that she got very annoying and unconvincing, there was minimal character development, and I did not feel any sympathy for the characters. While this movie had some of the best cinematography I have seen in a while, the rest of it was poorly done. This movie is not worthy of any oscars other than cinematography, and truly is not worth your time. Expand
  18. Oct 4, 2013
    In a year where some movies pass off as cheap entertainment, this movie delivers and shows the wonders and thrills of cinema. It's absolutely breathtaking while showing both the beauty and the horrors of space. The acting, visuals, cinematography, everything is about this movie is just flawless. Overall, this is truly one of the best movies ever made. It's freaking awesome! Be sure to check out my YouTube channel, "TheMovieManLife" for all things movies! Expand
  19. Oct 8, 2013
    Visually stunning, but preposterous. Within 15 minutes, I said this is ridiculous. Not even superman could have as many lives as Sandra Bullock. The dialogue is also lame. There is some emotion, but you really don;t care. There is no comparison to 2001, except that both movies take place in space.
  20. Oct 6, 2013
    I offer you five re-imagined film review synopses of Gravity: An IMAX 3-D Experience:

In the great farcical tradition of Jacques Tati, this madcap caricature of modern alienation and space age technology playfully follows its heroine through an improbable labyrinth of ineptitudes, follies, and physical gaffes.

A heart-wrenching portrayal of a mother’s search for human contact after
    the meaningless death of her daughter.

This reboot of Méliès’s Voyage dans la lune harkens back to the golden age of silent cinema, when action, set design, and camera tricks took precedence.

A futuristic spin on the classic road trip movie, Gravity is the story of two people who find themselves helplessly drawn together by a natural force beyond their control—friendship.

À la Godard and Tarantino, Caurón dishes out his share of cinéphile fodder, with nods and winks to the Cold War Red Scare camp of such classics as Red Dawn.
  21. Oct 4, 2013
    Watched this movied in 3D. It is as beautifull as it is boring and predictable. The camera shots, the 3D, the spectacular views and special effects all this is very well done. Actually the 3D is probably the best 3D i've seen in a movie. Also, I can't name any other movie that would be about Space, but not about aliens or a catastrophic end of the world (the end of Facebook in this picture probably does not count). They took an interesting idea and made a cliche movie out of it. That is why I can only give it a 5, maybe a 5.5 due to the fact that they managed to make it with only two and a half actors.The movie is not bad, it's just not very interesting and very cliche in the details of the plot. I would give it a 7 or 8 if they removed all the psychological crap you see in teenage movies about "being unable to move on". Expand
  22. Oct 4, 2013
    Wow! I rarely enthuse about any film these days, but this is something very special. Gravity is not only intense, devastating and ultimately life affirming, but has single handedly changed my opinion of Sandra Bullock, an actress who I normally have no time for. Full marks.
  23. Oct 9, 2013
    Its Diablo 3 and the latest Sim City only this time on the big screen. Ie looks great but quickly gets boring and leaves you feeling like youve been had.
  24. Oct 5, 2013
    Amazing visual effects/CGI and the whole atmosphere of what it's like being in space is done nicely. However, the performances are passable at best Clooney's role is basically a cameo. Bullock... she's not exactly my favorite actress, but I know she's capable and skilled. But I didn't find her performance here to be as highly acclaimed as some people are thinking perhaps because the character she portrays is annoyingly inept and stupidly lucky for an astronaut. The characters don't have depth to them, mostly because you're not given enough time to get invested before the hits the fan. Not to mention you barely get enough background to connect either so all you really know are their names and the fact that one has been on more missions than the other.

For a movie that's supposed to depict the realism of being in space and the potential dangers, the number of stupid, ridiculous and forced moments (though the movie would've been much shorter if they didn't) were more than enough for me to find myself criticizing nearly everything as I was simply left unimpressed and frustrated at what I was seeing on-screen. As one negative reviewer has said the basic rules of physics and space travel are oft bent or ignored.

Thriller? Edge of your seat? Perhaps for some who haven't seen the many flaws in this movie and who have never seen videos or played video games depicting what real space is like. There was, in my opinion, one or two moments where it was rather thrilling, but other than that the rest of the movie was bland and, as I've already mentioned, frustratingly stupid.

I regret spending the extra money to watch this in IMAX 3D.
  25. Oct 8, 2013
    Gravity delivers the weird juxtaposition of the film's creators allowing a fictional character to overcome unforgiving space, but won't trust the audience to think for themselves.

Yesterday evening I joined my good friends in a showing of the Sci-Fi survival thriller Gravity. I was expecting a documentary with George Clooney narrating, and wasn't quite sure of what to expect when I
    popped on my thick-rimmed 3D goggles. I am very interested in astronomy and the remoteness and aloofness of the celestial bodies has always strongly informed how I feel about living on Planet Earth. Their distance and indifference is a majestic mockery of our trivial, and temporary, existence.

Settling into the first five minutes of Gravity, I quickly realised that of course a work of fiction would make an over-pronounced imposition of human beings into the glorious inertia of space. This realisation that I can now expect people to provide the thrust of the story profoundly disappoints me. The feeble juxtaposition of a towering, placid spacescape with the minute actions of studious astronauts has no more of an impact on me than would watching the same people sit around an office drinking weak, freeze-dried coffee.

Therefore, precisely what I find refreshing about the film 15 minutes in is that it hasn't (yet) condescended to the audience by loading the flimsy cardboard cutout characters with some morbid modus operandi, thereby making totally unrelateable spacewalking astronauts into amenable accomplices of the viewer. It therefore makes sense to streamline the cynically unlucky protagonist to such a degree that the only necessary instrument at her disposal is the pure and simple instinctual thrust of survival.

The depiction of the characters in broad strokes continues as the audience is struck forcibly by the information that, believe it or not, spacewalking is either a very mundane experience best accompanied by country music, or that novices are terribly excited by it on their first run. Both contrasts are totally within convention, and this silly space symphony's opening bars have all the reverie of a pastorale.

At one moment as Bullock careens off into the vast emptiness of space, an apparition of home; a large, indifferent planet Northern Lights added for aesthetics sits serenely behind, sleepily unaware of the plight of our hapless protagonist. It is a moment of genuine beauty, and for a second the film has an actually interesting principal actor the “gentle indifference of the world”.

But then as Disaster, that catalyst of so many Hollywood movies, arrives, all of a sudden it occurs to me that we are going to have to suffer character development as this thing goes on. We haven't learned enough by Hollywood standards to care enough about Bullock and Clooney yet, but a few stories from good ol' Planet Earth ought to set that right.

I wouldn't have been totally against this inevitability if it wasn't for the central character spending the remaining 90 minutes undergoing a juvenile transformation from naïve to determined (via seriously mopy). Bullock's performance is languid enough to have made me believe that survival in the face of almost certain death is a bit of a drag.

Therefore, into the wondrous oblivion of infinite space strolls a character so disengaged from life that I stopped rooting for her from basically the beginning. Marcus Aurelius writes in his Meditations that “Today I escaped from anxiety. Or no, I discarded it, because it was within me, in my own perceptions not outside.”

The tenets of stoicism don't seem to really have fallen into the scope of Bullock's character, because there is always a sense that what she is facing is injustice it's not fair!!! rather than coming to any acceptance that her predicament was an exceptionally fair one an outgrowth of her being in a totally extraordinary position as remote from human experience as one could possibly get, and therefore, not entitled to expect the same accommodations from the universe.

What accompanies this extraordinary situation, and what makes the film so oddly cold, is how extraordinarily muted un-human Bullock's character's response is. There is neither a hint of completely justified despair, nor the slightest sense of confusion at the totally mindboggling predicament facing her character.

This might be an attempt.

Instead, unfortunately, Hollywood is the exemplar of an industrial process of creativity so eminently capable of mistaking the addition of melodrama for character complexity. It is not enough that survival and hatred of death are ingrained human qualities up to and including the point of irrational denial of fate Gravity also needs us to buy into a crumby story about a deceased child in order to force the operationalisation of instinct.

It was not enough that a Harvard-graduated space-genius had to get a face full of satellite shrapnel. We had to have our own emotional capacities for empathy inc
  26. Oct 5, 2013
    somehow i am missing what makes this great. the 3d in space is wonderful. the story is about as exciting as sandra b.'s acting. it's not that it's terrible, but there's very little to it. and g. clooney's character is a joke.
  27. Oct 12, 2013
    This movie's title was terribly, terribly misleading. Virtually the whole film was set in space, where as I'm sure you'll be well aware, there is NO GRAVITY! It was only in the last five minutes or so where any of the characters had to deal with the effects of this force. Even talented performers like Sandra Bullock and George Clooney would be hard-pressed to show any significant character development from dealing with gravity in such a short amount of time. Most good Science Fiction movies, such as "Alien", feature their main subject (i.e. the title of the movie) for at least a good two thirds of their duration. I haven't been so misled since the preserve-less 1996 film "Space Jam". Expand
  28. Oct 4, 2013
    Honestly, this was the best movie I've seen in a very very long time. Gravity is easily the most beautiful and realistically terrifying movie out there. From the very beginning until a few minutes after the credits began to roll, I found my self on the edge of my seat clinging desperately to my chair as if I were holding on for dear life. The film making was superb, the acting was brilliant, and the visuals were every bit out of this world. Gravity is a masterpiece, plain and simple. Expand
  29. Oct 8, 2013
    This movie sucked. Badly. The first 20minutes are cool and have a great cinematic feel. (Saw it in IMAX 3D) The film quickly goes away from these cinematic views to unravel the story which is pathetic and told by terrible acting. Very, very poor film. After 30 minutes you've had enough of this weak woman to want to leave the theater. It is aggravating to watch. Giving it a 2 for the first 20minutes of cinematics. Expand
  30. Oct 5, 2013
    Maybe I went into this (because of the critic reviews) with artificially high hopes, but this movie just didn't do it for me. .I am a Sci-Fi fanatic, and while the visuals were stunning and gave you the feeling of really being in space (I saw in 3D), the story just didn't match up IMHO. I also wished there had been more George and less Sandra (no, I'm not in love with him LOL his character was much more interesting). See the new Riddick instead (if you haven't already). This one is forgettable. Expand
  31. Oct 7, 2013
    What can I say about this highly acclaimed movie? Gorgeous CGI-produced space, fabulous work of Sandra Bullock's plastic surgeon (for 49 she looks incredible).
    What else? H-m-m-m... Oh yeh! Sandra's hair style is perfect, especially considering that she is in weightlessness.
    I was bored mostly all the time. It reminded me a TNT ad "We know drama" where all action happens at the very
    possible moment. Kinda cheap. But again, the visuals and special effects were astounding. Expand
  32. Oct 4, 2013
    While not everything in the movie may be 100% realistic (you don't take off your spacesuit like it's your pajamas), but apart from those minor quirks, this movie is an absolute sight to behold. The cinematography is fantastic, the acting superb, and the movie remains interesting for the whole duration. Obligatory watching for anyone who remotely likes movies.
  33. Oct 23, 2013
    I really don't understand how people can "connect" with such an annoying actress. The graphical effects were spectacular, but other than that I spent most of the movie wishing George Clooney would come back so I wouldn't be so bored. This movie is the same amount of a survival story as Spongebob Squarepants is an adult humor.
  34. Oct 21, 2013
    Did I really see the same movie as all of those who are saying "amazing, one of the best movies ever, best I've ever seen, fabulous performances...."?

Seriously?

I guess this is the perfect movie for our ADD society where we need something sparkly to happen every 7 10 seconds... it's short attention span theater albeit pretty to watch with wonderful photography. It woefully lacks in
    character development and is void of any plausibility. It's The Perils of Pauline in Space, a paste diamond set in a Faberge egg of photography. Collapse
  35. Oct 7, 2013
    A big disappointment! The story line was so unbelievable there was no possibility of drama. Direction was weak. George Clooney’s character acted silly for the position he occupied. Sandra Bullock did a good job but she was the wrong person for the part, and her character lacked continuity. The visual effects were good and 3D was a good choice for the movie. The movie wasn’t terrible but if that’s the best that can be said it would be better to wait for it to be on TV. Expand
  36. Oct 4, 2013
    Gripping. Almost like a two-person play. Effects are just incredible; it looks and feels like it was shot on location in space. Plus, there's a nice little smile near the beginning as a familiar voice graces another space epic. Highly, highly recommended. See it in IMAX 3D if you can.
  37. Oct 12, 2013
    if i dont like a movie i usually give it around a 6 but this... this i give a 2, I HATED IT
    predictable
    boring
    poor acting
    this is 1 of the most over rated movies of all time
  38. Oct 5, 2013
    This memorizing and thrilling sci-fi extravaganza is the perfect example of what pure movie magic is all about. From its captivating cinematography, to its superb acting, riveting production design, and exceptional use of 3D, Gravity is a terrifyingly accurate portrayal of lifelessness in the outer reaches of space and the sheer determination and struggle to grasp onto hope in the most hopeless, and virtually most helpless of scenarios. Being quite arguably one of the most remarkable outings in the history of film, Gravity cements itself as being an achievement in almost every aspect of both its genre and filmmaking in general. There is no doubt in my mind that Gravity is a once in a generation accomplishment that will be talked about and regarded as an inspiration for many ages to come. Expand
  39. Oct 20, 2013
    Visuals aside, this was a miserable, unrealistic movie. Bullock's character is clearly the most unqualified astronaut in history and is horribly frustrating and annoying to watch. If you want to see anything even remotely realistic, steer clear of this movie.
  40. CMC
    Oct 12, 2013
    All of the 4 and 5 ranked reviews are accurate: Great CG and 3-D, dumb story, no character development, completely unedifying. I have come to mistrust metacritic user reviews, and it seems there are fake reviews for this move, but I have never seen such a mismatch between critic reviews and and the high metascore as this. So far off! This is what really gets me: the gap between the slow and quiet times in space, and the complete lack of any psychological development. Sure it is a problem to get to know a character when they have a glass bubble on their head. But Malick or Kubrick could have done almost the same film, same shots and events, and it would have been moving and disturbing. This is indeed a popcorn movie and nothing more. Expand
  41. Nov 9, 2013
    The most over rated movie in a generation. These are two one dimensional characters shot in 3D, nothing more. Strip away the glitter and you would be paying someone else to watch it for you. If you want a Disney roller coaster ride without the movement then go see it. If you want something that has anything besides visual marshmallow goop then skip it.
  42. Oct 13, 2013
    Good cinematography aside (which you might eventually just stop noticing sadly enough) everythign else is shallow and token. The characters, the plot, the acting, the action, the theme, nothing stands out. The movie relies on it's setting to thrill and at times it does but much like everything else in the movie it groes tiresome fairly quickly. Let's see what else to say? There's a part where Sandra Bullock barks like it dog (no it only somewhat makes sense in context) and that was the moment where i realized the 10.50 i paid for the screening was 10.50 too much. The minority character dies almost instantly (and in a super gruesome manner) because hey, every other hollywood movie treates minorities poorly, why not an Oscar hopeful one too? The 3D was actually pretty token and desperate. Want good 3D, go see Avatar or Dredd or Oz, certainly not Gravity. Expand
  43. Oct 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really don't know how this movie got such high matacritic reviews. Scripts is so amateur, unrealisitic!! Even George Clooney is not at his best! How can someone so cool-ly sacrifice himself with sarcasm?!! Only in cheap Hollywood flicks! Basic physics laws are broken so miserably! For god sake, if in the space and state of weightless ness, two people are attached by a rope, there is no way one of the being pulled away?! so he having too cut himself loose to save the other one?!!! Hello! there is no gravity! don't forget!!
    Such a waste of scenario's idea! could have been a great movie with a different crew!
  44. Oct 7, 2013
    Gravity is a fun "Ride" ala Star Tours experience, but as far as a "Movie" goes, the story and character development leaves much to be desired. As far as a 3D $18 90 minute Star Tours/Type spectacle, if that is what you are looking for then I am sure you will love the film. The CG and Camera moves were impressive and the film was done very well. Films like Gravity are just not what I am looking for when I go to the Cinema. Now If I was at Disneyland it would be a different story Just my two cents, and obviously I am in the minority since it appears that almost everyone on earth loved this Film and thought it was the greatest film of all time. Which I do find a bit disconcerting because in my opinion it would not even make my top 100 films of all time list. Sadly this is certainly the type of movies film corporations will want to put out more of. 3D up-charge along with a short running time which equals more showings per day and more revenue. Will we ever see a popular motion picture released with a strong script, with strong acting again, or will that just be relegated to art houses and on demand TV viewing? Expand
  45. Oct 6, 2013
    Welcome back 40 years into the past where blacks say "yassir boss" and women are emotional wrecks.. Bullock's character is fraught with frantic emotionalism that prevents her from rational and intelligent thought and actions. The concept of a limited air supply does not compute to her. She is like the drunk driver that gets into an accident, kills four people, but she survives. It's like she was a secretary that knows satellite uplinking and got drafted into this job by default. A total setback for women's rights and the stereotypical way men view them.... and I love Bullock and yes, I am a big fan of Clooney too. This movie is all visual and is almost a shameless remake or takeoff of "Open Water". Expand
  46. Oct 20, 2013
    If you want to hear Sandra Bullock and George Clooney scream for 1 hour and 31 minutes, than this is the movie for you... If you want to go see a good movie, go see Captain Phillips.
  47. Nov 9, 2013
    I'm so INCREDIBLY disappointed. I could never imagine how clichée filled, "sentimental" and stupid this movie is. The dialogue (and the monologue!) is among the dumbest I've ever heard. As if that wasn't enough, I found myself questioning most of what was happening so many flaws and logical gaps. Frankly, the most enjoyable thing about this movie was the 3D and I really, really hate 3D. I can't even imagine who would find this movie gripping. It's beyond me. Expand
  48. Oct 8, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Bottom line this movie is overrated. It's not worth the money. Boring. The same thing happens over and over again, space debris and spinning out of control in space. Some weird music too. I think it was a cheap way for the two big actors to make money for the holiday's and based off these ratings they will sadly. Expand
  49. Oct 16, 2013
    The summer of bummers. Yes, it's fall now, but this will be the year that had an astonishing amount of clunker movies that were highly anticipated and overhyped, with the good ones passing through with little attention. "Despicable Me 2" was an exception, as Gru and the Minions were once again delighting audiences with the funniest animated movie of the year, and given the minions' popularity, we'll see more of those little yellow guys.
    "Gravity" is a movie of polar opposites. 3-D mavens are all over this space tale, and the effects and Earth shots are indeed spectacular, although I would imagine Sandra Bullock's 3-D underwear has as many admirers. For those of us expecting more real suspense besides one crisis and idiotic break after another, "Gravity" is a loser.
    Gone is any earthbound activity, making the movie almost a Bullock solo act, ala Castaway. Not that she's not a good actress, far from it. But what we get are giant dialogue cliches piled high and deep, two very conveniently located space stations that just happen to be right by in the same orbit, and a soundtrack meant to inspire that instead overdoes it to the point of hurling. For all the work that went into the premise, to allow the plot and dialogue to resemble other "heroic" movies long on visuals and pathetic on plot, like "Independence Day", is baffling.
    Space is a very mysterious unknown, and there should be a free reign of imagination that knows no limits. While we may tire of aliens, there's enough real stuff out there radioactivity, gama rays, etc. that should provide plenty of fodder for a much more believable situation.
    What a galactic cliche.
  50. BKM
    Oct 5, 2013
    Gravity is a visual stunner that doesn't just expand the boundaries of what is possible with visual effects, it demolishes them. Praise must also be given to Sandra Bullock's fearless performance which gives the film its human heart. My only quibble, and it's a minor one, is that the film isn't quite as emotionally resonant as I would have liked. But that may prove to be a moot point in the long run. Expand
  51. Dec 12, 2013
    One of the most overrated, boring, stupid films I have seen in a long long time. The only redeeming thing was the special effects. Everything else was ridiculous, stupid and boring. I actually wanted to walk out half way though, couldn't care less whether or not she survived at the end.
  52. Oct 4, 2013
    Easily one of the best space film I've ever seen and ever. Gravity offer high level of tension add with beautiful visual design and strong acting. This is masterpiece of movie. Watch it in 3D if possible. :D
  53. Oct 13, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The plot is really poor and filled with stereotypes such as the "Russian Mistake" and the "Oriental guy who cannot understand English".
    The visuals are really the best you can imagine for a sci-fi movie, but the intrusive music that you hear in Cuaron's space (instead of the silence and the breathing sound) ruins the whole experience. Also there are PLENTY of mistakes, such as the airlocks, that in the real world are always opened inwards the station and can be opened only from there, otherwise the gasses will flow out so fast that your body will be sent on a trip to Vulcan. All the equipment during the EVA is ALWAYS linked to the astronauts (yes, I'm speaking about the flying wrench), Houston does not listen to music during missions, astronauts do not speak about their life or fly with a jetpack around the ship (the real one is called SAFER and it's only for emergency use). Least but not last, if the crew of the ISS should be forced to escape, would have been using BOTH the Soyuzes (without leaving one for Sandra Bullock). Want good sci-fi? Watch Moon, Europa Report and obviusly 2001. This is crap.
  54. Feb 25, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. How the hell did this movie get such high marks? It is a true representation of many things wrong with stupid people in America (and elsewhere too I suppose). Nothing is believable in this movie, starting with putting a mentally unstable, traumatized nitwit in space after a mere 6 mos of training....really? I don't want to hear BS about metaphors and symbolism....barf...any good movie has that, but they have to fit the story. You don't hear noises in space (I did in Gravity). She just mashes buttons in Chinese and Russian...OMG stupid....

You know what. F&^k it, I'm not even gonna repeat the stupid premise or nitpick the bold disobeying of basic science in this movie. If you're too stupid to know, then you're gonna love this movie no matter what I say. It just utterly fails to ground itself in any resemblance of reality or physics. Strong marks for cinematography and CGI, but it's wasted on this pointless plot and horrible dialog.

A truly jarring movie would have been if she died alone in space slowly and helplessly, **** and pissing herself, because that is what would/should have happened. I guess all you need is a fire extinguisher to navigate space. I give this movie a 5, but rating it zero to make up for the overhyped 10s. Please don't let any acting Oscars go to this movie. Special effects or visuals maybe.

BTW the score was annoying as hell....and 75% of the time there should have been NONE. I was trying to experience the silence of space....luckily Clooney died and shut up eventually (only to come back in a dream...sigh)....just a crap movie. The suspension of disbelief is too much to ask for anyone with half a brain.
  55. Oct 4, 2013
    It takes more than just visual effects to hold a film together and Sandra Bullock is the pull in “Gravity.” For the majority of the film, Bullock is alone, and while acting in general is no easy feat, acting solo is an actor’s most challenging role and Bullock is effortlessly sensational. Her roller coaster of emotions from the start of the film to its final frame are riveting. The suspense in this film would be null without Bullock’s wonderful and relatable connection. The Cuaróns’ makes Ryan an "everyman," so watching her struggle to save and be saved is like having a sinking feeling of watching one’s self go through this traumatic ordeal. Bullock wasn’t the first choice to play Ryan, but Cuarón should count himself lucky that he landed a powerful, often beautiful, performance in the end. While “Gravity” gives audiences a sensational and unparalleled fictional view of the final frontier, Bullock says it best as her dread sets in: “I hate space.” For those who have always dreamed of becoming an astronaut or visiting the stars, this incredibly tense film might change your mind. Going in to the film knowing disaster will strike just makes the tension that much greater and when Cuarón unleashes hell upon Ryan and Kowalski, the suspense is relentless and exhausting. “Gravity” deserves the IMAX treatment more than most films. An already immersive experience is incredibly heightened by the big screen format. Check out on IMAX if possible. It will be worth the extra coin. It remains to be seen if “Gravity” will have a long shelf-life once every new science fiction movie hereafter copies everything from its realism to its naturalistic effects to Steven Price’s hypnotic and vertigo-inducing score. “Gravity” is definitely an experience an event and whether or not that lasts, as of right now, there’s just nothing else like it. And that is a rare treat at the movies. Expand
  56. Ndi
    Nov 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. What a turd. TUUUUURD.

Stupid physics, plenty mistakes, personal drama that was completely unnecessary, long, drawn out, awkward pauses where they had to fill with monologues,

How does this movie even rated anything with critics? Has nobody any integrity left? I understand I get to look at Sandra Bullok's ass, but seriously, she's 49. Work out or not, 49. And for that cash, SFX was wavy at best, they had not one physicist on site (feels like he quit midway through) that could tell them that people aren't dolls and if you bow out a hatch while holding it and it thows you off, it also breaks your arm, rips the suit, and damages the airlock. Hence they cycle thing.

While she is "feeling better" about having air, the poor bastard outside was suffocating. I know they couldn't afford Clooney but come on.

Every time she gets undressed, she throws away clothes like she's in her bathroom. Keep the f*** suit, idiot, you're in space and it has AIR. You never know when you need air.

The ISS catches fire, she ignores it (while splashing water inside because what the hell, it's not like they need EVERY panel), then she fails to put out the fire because she doesn't understand reaction, then the ISS blows up and she says "I hate space". B*tch, at the time the movie happens the ISS is the single greatest achievement of the human race and you are supposed to be a scientist and you, YOU f*cked it up. YOU missed the fire, YOU couldn't operate an extinguisher, YOU killed the ISS. At this point, I'm hoping she makes it, I want her hanged.

Anyone with 6 months training can operate a NASA vehicle, fix Hubble, fly ISS's Soyuz, execute procedures in Russian, launch escape pods in Chinese because all you need is a bit of mashing of buttons I don't know why they keep that long training thing. Any half-stupid, is-sick-in-space, suicidal-tendencies 50 year old female can operate any and all space stuff, because space stuff is the same.

Station blows up, there is a billion pieces of shrapnel, 50 hit the camera, 20 hit my eyes in 3D, 140 shred the pods, NONE touch Soyuz, her, or any other important stuff.

She has been attacked by debris twice, fire once, lack of air once, tethered by chute once, and threatened several times, she never hurries. NEVER. To keep that zero-G feel, no button is ever pressed fast, no screw done soon, even when she sees the cloud of stuff coming at her, she steps out of the pod and the camera does a lazy 360. Sure, 90 seconds to impact, take the view.

I could go on for ages, this is a stupid, stupid movie, with a stupid premise, bad re-entry angles, and bad writing.

BAD WRITING.

What was that c*ap about her dead daughter? Did that pan out? No. Just another detail to make me feel sorry for her. Well it didn't work. By the time she touched down, I was hoping she drowned, and so did half the theater. She almost drowned in a space suit. Do you know how hard that is?

I hate critics. Pounding action? No pounding action. Total of 5 minutes of action. Have you forgotten 15 minutes of pulling Ryan through space? Tell me about yourself, Ryan, we don't have budget for more than this. Intimate human storytelling? My daughter is dead, my dog died, I'm depressed. Boo hoo, such a deep human connection we have now. It's not like it's artificially planted, like the faceless guy with picture of family. Or the scattered pictures of families on every single dead guy in the Horizon. And personal toys.

There is such a thing as pulling every string of my heart and it is sad.

How can you give this dump a good score?
  57. Nov 4, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Neither NASA nor any other space agency would ever send the character Sandra Bullock played into space. They don't need a hysterical woman who knows nothing about space or the technology she has to use.
    If you know nothing about physics or space you probably will like that movie but if you are interested in these things (like me) you'll hate it because you know that nearly everything is against logic or physics.

And to be honest: In a SciFi movie I don't give a damn about a "deep" insight of the characters. Especially when their stories have nothing to do with the movie.

Before I checked who made the movie I thought the same guy who did After Earth also did this one.

At the end: The nearly drowned in the rescue capsule? Oh holy This nearly happened in real life to NASA astronauts and thus NASA (and all other space agencies) fixed that problem.

The director just wanted to make a awesome 3D movie but didn't cared about a good and especially logical story. I hope he NEVER does a movie again so the investors have money left for good movies.
  58. Oct 16, 2013
    Gravity is a first rate, charming but gripping complex drama, although claustrophobic, it is deep and absorbing, with dazzling effects, breathtaking performances, all in all, a fascinating, one of a kind ride, that you will stay with you for a long time. This film has real soul attached to it, you can feel the passionate making behind this film, the visuals are astonishing and look very real. The sequences are intense and gripping.You can easily connect with the film, because of the powerful performances and the gripping sequences, it is a legendary achievement. The cinematography is spellbinding, the soundtrack is fascinating, the visuals are dazzling, the performances are powerful yet complicated and thought provoking, the direction is masterful, I think that Alfonso Cuaron's Gravity is a remarkable Hollywood invention, a gripping and intense thriller, a masterful arty direction and a film that has a real soul. This is a type of a film that doesn't come every year. Expand
  59. Oct 6, 2013
    This movie is a cinematic masterpiece. I dont want to say more because going in with no expectation beyond something happens in space is the best way. Also see it in 3d it really uses this well not as a gimmick.
  60. Oct 5, 2013
    Given the rave reviews, this film was disappointing. In 3D & Imax, it was disappointing 3D, but no question the visuals were impressive, outer space, how could it not be, so see it in IMAX if you can.

I felt little empathy for the characters as we didn't get to know them first and Sandra Bullock's character was a downer, how did she ever qualify as an astronaut? She was suffering from
    depression!

The plot and character development was melodramatic, and the dialogue stilted., given the character's' situation.

Worth seeing but don't drink the coolade!
  61. Oct 6, 2013
    I would never waste the time to do this ever in my life, but for the first time, I had to register on this website just to give a review of this movie, first of all, If you're not affected by it, 3d should be your first and only option to see this movie. This is one movie that I followed on imdb as it climbed up from 8.4 to 8.8 now on its ratings. I have never been so stunned. This movie is breathtaking, there's no way to describe this movie to convince you to go watch it. This movie is one of the very first of its kind and makes you think when watching rather than making it too obvious like other movies nowadays. This movie got me on the edge of my seat, I was just mesmerized at how a movie could be so good. WOOOOW!!!, special effects, acting, breathtaking visuals, fiction at its best and good idea. This is one of the very first movie that made me want to pay again in the same theater and wait to watch the next time it was showing the same day. YOU HAVE TO SEE THIS MOVIEEEEEEEE!!!!!, IT'S NOT JUST WHAT PEOPLE SAY. It's interesting, brilliant and drags you into it's world more and more, devouring you and feeding you pleasure. Movie recommended without thinking twice or hesitating, definitely watching again-3D, with another set of friends. Expand
  62. Nov 5, 2013
    This is one of the worst films to come out this year, don't believe all the hype. They got great visuals and put a cheesy terrible story on top of it to try to justify making the film. The director doesn't take a single step into actually developing the characters, but instead casts Bullock is that typical weak female lead. Bullock is also terrible as usual.
  63. Nov 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. For having George Clooney being such anchor for this movie I expected more George Clooney. Not just ten minutes if him rambling then drifting into space. His name is on the poster after all. I found Sandra Bullocks character incredibly annoying. She kept acting like she had no idea what she was doing then wastes precious air talking to Clooney when she needs to get her bum on the ship. Did she not realize you need air to live? Face palm. Then that weird baby fetal position while he drifts further away. As for the CGI I'm pretty sure the three space stations they blew up were the same station. Very redundant .very predictable. I don't understand what the hype is about, I was incredibly disappointed. Expand
  64. Nov 22, 2013
    This movie is atrocious. Sandra Bullock wailing like a dog at the controls of a spaceship?? The writers of this nonsense should be ashamed of themselves. Absolute Rubbish
  65. Dec 3, 2013
    What a load of rubbish! This movie, which is seriously just two people floating around in space, is being hailed as "revolutionary" and "ground breaking" and "like nothing you've ever seen before." What!? We've all seen Apollo 13, haven't we? Only that had an interesting story, and characters who didn't just scream and act embarrassing the whole time. The special effects weren't even that impressive. And yet no doubt it will win best visual effects at the Oscars, as well as about twelve thousand other awards because delusional critics have brainwashed themselves into thinking this is a "masterpiece." Expand
  66. Oct 5, 2013
    Wonderful. Delivers that sense of grandeur only one or two movies a year can muster. Alfonso Cuaron is a brilliant filmmaker. The long tracking shot at the beginning is...for lack of better words...absolutely friggin' insane. What an amazing experience.
  67. Oct 4, 2013
    Alfonso Cuaron’s new feature film, “Gravity,” a movie about an astronaut is on graveness space in his spectacular 3D experience. Mr. Cuaron has done previous films that I enjoy so much including “Y’Tu Mama Tambien,” “Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban,” and “Children of Men,” now he decides to make his latest space adventure about two astronauts were on the mission to repair the satellite in outer space. Then, a probe pollution appears from nowhere and damages the satellite; however, the two astronauts split away in a dark gravity of space. One space scientist, Dr. Ryan Stone (Sandra Bullock), is on the loose and she has no way out to save herself in space. Dr. Stone decided to take care of herself and she needs to find a way to be safe, so she can come back home from earth. Mr. Cuaron makes a wonderful experiences to travel deep in outer space to see a beautiful atmosphere and an epic suspense for one the best films I ever seen.. Expand
  68. Oct 4, 2013
    A beautiful and also terrifying look into the vast and majestic Universe beyond the safety of our world. A fantastic movie, that executed every aspect almost flawlessly. Actually, it wasn't just a movie, it was experience. Cinematography was absolutely astonishing, soundtrack was beautiful, acting was fantastic, and the visuals... The visuals were one of the best I've ever seen. Director Alfonso Cuarón outdone himself once again.
    I cannot recommend this enough, for every thriller, drama or scifi fan, this movie is a must watch.
  69. Oct 6, 2013
    10/10 this movie is phenomenal. I do love space in general, taking me on a ride to actual space was breathe taking I was on the edge of my seat the whole movie. The ambient music put me in the best mood, it was funny at times, it was so emotional as well. Though this is a space simulation it still has a plot and a story that leaves you going home and just thinking really how it is in space and you get a glimpse in this movie to see how it really is. The 18 people that just really dont get it well not every movie is for everyone but this really is fantastic movie and I will rewatch this movie over and over and over again. Expand
  70. Oct 6, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Considering the sentiment of most of the negative user reviews I've read on this movie, I really wish most moviegoers would *try* to engage movies in a vacumm (not necessarily in the vacumm of space though...heh heh). It seems many came into this film filled with too many preconceived ideas about what it would be and how it would effect/affect them. I find it really does the movie a disservice when you think it's going to be the best thing you've ever seen before you even see it. You spend most of the time hung-up on that moment that's going to make it all happen, and in the process, you miss the overall composition. Then you consider the movie a failure because that moment never came. I say all this because I've done it too many times before. Thankfull, I didn't do it with Gravity.

A lot of people, myself included, love film for its aesthetic advantage over most other forms of art. I don't think it's crazy to suggest that this film has done, cinematically, what no other film has yet to do; that, I believe, warrants many of the accolades it's been receiving. On the other hand, I really enjoyed the emotional 'gravity' of this movie and it's allegory for rebirth It somehow manages to quickly pull you onto an empathetic level for the main character without the normal, slow characture development we would typically need for someone who's in a situation we have a hard time relating to—and I think this is all connected to how wonderfully real this movie feels, despite the fact that 99.9999991% of us have never been in space.

On a side note, Gravity also tugged a piece of my heart with the seemingly subtil ode to Spielberg/John Wlliams 80's style soundtrack and sound editing. What I'm referring to here is when a film's eutherial, clean, and powerful sounding soundtrack seems to shelter a softer, dirty—almost analog sounding—song. The scene I felt this during most was when Dr. Ryan had the radio communication with the civilian (non English speaking) man. While she was finally realizing things were not great (I'll spare details for fear of spoiling), the soundtrack paralled the weight of the situation. Though a spark of hope came through a man's singing to a baby in the background—an obvious but well played contrast. This scene/sound editing might not have been an overt ode, but I still liked its use.

See this movie, but forget everything everyone has said about it!
  71. Oct 11, 2013
    If you are seeing this movie, you MUST see it in IMAX 3D if possible. This is one of the handful of movies that must be seen in 3D.

When I first saw a previews for this movie, I was so sure it would be bad. I have never been more wrong about a film in my life. Everything about this movie is phenomenal. The acting is Oscar worthy, the sound design is flawless, and the visuals are
    spectacular. Gravity has a fairly simple story, but that is clearly by design. The character that Sandra Bullock plays appears relatively shallow, but in reality is so deep, SHE is the story. Especially in 3D, the movie pulls the viewer into the character, almost literally, and never lets go. You feel every emotion the character feels, including the absolute dread when you know something bad is going to happen. Your heart and mind alike race when the terrifying situations come about. I have to warn though, that if you suffer from any sort of anxiety, you might want to think twice about seeing this movie. I saw this with my wife, who has anxiety, and while she absolutely loved the movie, it was too much to handle at some points. This is not a film for the feint of heart. Either way, this movie will definitely be getting Oscar nominations. This is a must see film. Do yourself a favor though, and splurge on the IMAX 3D. You won't regret it. Expand
  72. Apr 8, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Imagine a firefighter enters a building that is blazing with flames. He looks around, screams for 10 minutes, and runs away because he is completely unqualified for the job.

That is what this movie is like, except replace the firefighter with an astronaut.

The only good thing about this film is that it looks nice. But to be honest, it's not worth an hour and a half of your time to watch a film when you can just go on Imgur and type in 'nice space pictures' and start viewing galleries of visually appealing space pictures without having to listen to someone screaming and constantly gasping for air (when they are supposed to be an astronaut with some experience).

The worst part about watching this film is that when it finally finishes, you realise that Sandra Bullock is in the middle of nowhere and will probably die anyway. So much for the whole 'survival' theme.

Also, 'Gravity' doesn't make sense as a title. It should be called 'Zero Gravity', 'Zero Oxygen', or 'Screaming Lady in Space'.
  73. Oct 7, 2013
    This movie was AMAZING!!!! I was able to watch it on IMAX and I was just blown away! The thrills start right away and watching Dr. Ryan Stone swirl around in space made me feel light-headed, which is a very good thing since few movies can really do that. The special effects are some of the best I've ever seen!! One scene, in particular, where we see one of the space shuttles get destroyed by debris in the middle of the film, was nothing short of breathtaking. I also love the acting: George Clooney gives a light-hearted performance sure to get a few chuckles out of you, but this is Sandra Bullock's show, and she gives, probably, the best performance of her career. She's a character to root for since she has very strong character development. However, there are times when the dialogue gets a little sappy,but the actors give it their all, especially Bullock. Overall, with a mastery of special effects and a strong emotional core shown through great performances, Gravity is one of the best thrillers I have ever seen and will definitely blow you away as well! Expand
  74. Oct 6, 2013
    Brilliantly executed and acted all wrapped in outstanding special effects. I was on the edge of my seat for 99% of the film and had my hand covering my mouth for half of the movie (which often doesn't happen, even when I am watching horror films). A tour de force of a masterpiece by Alfonso Cuarón that will be in your head long after you've left the theatre. I foresee a few Oscar nominations and wins for this one. Go see this. Now. Expand
  75. Oct 4, 2013
    “Gravity” is a film that must first be seen on a 3D movie theatre screen and even better if it is an IMAX screen! What director Alfonso Cuaron and his production crew, partially consisting of director of photography Emmanuel Lubezki, editors Alfonso Cuaron and Mark Sanger along with production designer Andy Nicholson, special effects supervisors Neil Corbould and Manex Efrem, visual effects supervisor Tom Webber, have done in this film are things you have never seen in a movie before and the recurring thought running through your mind, if not said out loud, is “How did they do that?”

There is a screenplay by Alfonso and Jonas Cuaron while actors Sandra Bullock and George Clooney are the leads but their star power doesn’t stand a chance against a teardrop floating off of the screen. What is basically a two hander turns into a performance of Bullock competing against space and charismatic Clooney is probably one of the very few actors who could pull off one of his later scenes.

There have been many space travel, sci-fi, astronaut movies and variations of all, but there has never been a movie like “Gravity” that takes you from minutes of absolute silence where you imagine you hear things to a terrifying sequence where space debris is hurled at scientist Ryan Stone (Bullock) and mission commander Matt Kowalski (Clooney) and you see and hear the consequences.

Hundreds of miles from earth we see space up close, from a distance, through the eyes of a face in a helmet to the couple seeming to dance in slow motion against the stars and the sky. To tell you anything about the movie, from a pen floating in a spaceship to Matt commenting on how beautiful the sun coming up on the horizon is, would all just have to be marked with big SPOILERS.

“Gravity” isn’t an emotional involving movie but you will sit in awe and wonder as it engages the brain. This film defines the magic of movies and has taken it further tech wise than ever done before. You will want to see it again and again to figure out how scenes were done and that’s what the DVD will be for but you have to see it on the big 3D screen first.
  76. Jan 26, 2014
    Yes the film is technological masterpiece , visuals is great, directing is perfect and "Oscar worthy" but Gravity is simply boring and overrated.It's frustrating that no one has the guts to tell they didn't like the move, well I'm telling, i hate it. I watched 3 hours long The Wolf of Wall Street and never get bored and then I watched 90 minutes long Gravity but I was bored to death with Sandra Bullock's exaggerated acting that makes you don't care what is going to happen. Expand
  77. Oct 6, 2013
    Intense and keeps you on the edge of your seat the whole time. This movie is pinned as just a survival story that takes place in space, but it connects on a much deeper level with the undertones and themes of loneliness, separation, and love. Beautiful and breathtaking visual effects, along with stuffing and emotional acting from Bullock. This is a must see movie to me 10/10
  78. Oct 5, 2013
    Gravity is an amazing movie. It's also the tensest film I've ever seen, and movies rarely ever make me tense. I'm almost certain Sandra Bullock will win an Oscar. If it doesn't win the visual effects Oscar I'd also be very surprised about that. I do have some caveats however. The story felt too minimalistic for me. It's basically a survival tale set in space. There's nothing wrong with that but just think of what could have been. Despite these problems the movie is so tense, so atmospheric, and so visually impressive that it would be crazy to not catch it in theatres. I'd place it up there with Avatar, District 9, and Inception. Expand
  79. Dec 12, 2013
    This movie is utter BS. Waste of time, money, and poor actors. If you want a cheap lobotomy, watch this movie. If you had basic physics in school, avoid this movie, as it will do your head in! I now know why the name of the film is called gravity, it's because they screw around with it, all the freaking time!!
  80. Oct 12, 2013
    Amazing action movie. Displays zero-g physics better than any sci-fi movie I've seen (even if not entirely perfectly), which makes for a really unusual environment. Also, it is a space movie, and it is not sci-fi. Which is a shock right there. There's not much "interaction" and "character development", and thank God for that, we have that in literally every movie except this one already, and in large amounts. There is however a psychological drama about getting over yourself and doing much more than you ever thought you were able to, not giving up until the very end. Also did I mention awesome action in zero-g? Expand
  81. Oct 15, 2013
    "Gravity" is not only a beautiful, visual and science-fiction film, it's more than that. Alfonso Cuarón has created pure 7th art. It has emotiional weight, life toil and spiritual philosophy Sandra Bullock is great, I think that Ryan Stone is her best role in her filmography. George Clooney is a cool Jiminy Cricket in this film. It's curious, this film is now but already is classic.
  82. Oct 16, 2013
    One of the best movies I've ever seen! Non stop intensity throughout the whole film! With 3D it felt like I was actually there with them. The visual effects and cinematography are some of the best I've seen. Will be really upset if this doesn't win some awards at the Oscars this upcoming year.
  83. Oct 12, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I paid the extra bucks primarily to see how far 3D has come since Avatar. It has gotten better and the CGI effects in Gravity are quite good. Now, having said that the plot is really silly. Clooney's character jetting around the shutlle seems absurd. Bullock having to survive one smash up after another is classic Hollywood. The science is mostly wrong (e.g. Clooney floating away after being caught by Bullock). Worth seeing but only for the cinematography and effects. I also wonedered where the shark was at the end like another reviewer. Expand
  84. Dec 14, 2013
    as de sjors was blijvn levn haddekik viele mier puntn heheven. T es deure metakritik da mine moat deine kutfilm wou gn zien. Echt gnen aanrader. Tenzij ge ne nolifer bent
  85. Oct 12, 2013
    GiantMidget, you have hit the nail right on the head. I entered the movie expecting to be amazed by the effects of gravity, but I was sadly disappointed until the final 5 minutes. I may as well have just watched all the previews and left, as they contained more gravity than the entire movie itself. Not impressed.
  86. Oct 14, 2013
    Gravity is a difficult movie to recommend or to discourage others away from. As a movie-going experience it is certainly something to behold. The visuals, as you have almost undoubtably heard by now, are stunning. This is largely due to the use of very well-done 3D that was not slapped on as a money-making afterthought. It is truly a beautiful movie.

As an entire film, however, I
    cannot say I enjoyed it. The plot was limited, the characters were thing, and, worst of all, the dialogue was unforgivably bad. Loaded with cheesey, corny, and schmaltzy lines, it served only to pull you out of the movie and make you roll your eyes. This may not be a deal breaker for everyone, but for me it was unbearable. Keep in mind that there isn't an awful lot of dialogue given the "plot" and the events in the movie, but this only means that what dialogue there is holds that much more weight.

So, if you are looking for a theatre experience, see this movie in 3D just for sake of not missing an impressive technical feat. If you are looking for a solid movie in terms of script and story, I can't recommend it. If you absolutely will not see movies in 3D and wish only to see the 2D version, I similarly can not recommend you drop the $10 per ticket. Wait to be underwhelmed at home on Netflix or Redbox DVD.
  87. Oct 23, 2013
    Cinema is the most thrilling and easy art ever, because you can show a picture and at the same time tell a story. What define a great movie I think this is the question you need to ask you, when you want to go and watch GRAVITY. If you define great movie by just the quality of the picture, MEN that's the best movie ever! But if you are not deaf (no offense), you'll define a great movie by the quality of the photography, the way the characters are built, the emotions going thru them, the sensations and the feeling coming from the situations (the music, etc), the story and the message of the movie.

But i'm sorry, here only 1 of these things pull it out [the quality of the picture]. The rest is just lacking so badly.

I wish I could tell how this movie is awesome, but that wouldn't be true... at all.

I'm not going to repeat the lack of acting, the bad characters construction, the over-dramatic clichés (family picture floating around, foetus position floating in space and giant position to stand up at the end of the movie showing up how you can thrive through adversity), the biggest baddest day ever of the unluckiest person (not) on earth; but tell you about the biggest disappointment of this movie...
    There's no feelings, not a single moment of emotions from the spectators, no tears coming, no fear and anxiety, you just sit there waiting for something crazier than the last 5 minutes to happen again and again.

I wish I went out of the theater with a little panic attack... but no, I just went back home and wrote this, because I was just disappointed. You can get a 10 better movies with about almost the same subject but way better, form the past 10 years; if you prefer video games go buy MassEffect 2 and just play the first 10 minutes, you'll have a better experience than the 1 hour and 30 minutes of Gravity.

Last words Almost big studios, almost, you'll not get me so easily. Stop trying to refer and count only on award winners.
  88. Oct 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I have never walked out of an IMAX film until this one. It was so unbelievably corny and just plain wrong I couldn't stand it. After Clooney's character died because the movie disregarded the law of which it was named after I was done with it. Should have been called "Open Water: In Space" Expand
  89. Oct 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The movie is way to predictable and boring. Though it may look cool, it is lacking a good plot and is over all a very poorly made film. The movie starts out interesting because it is a completely new idea but as the story progresses the movie starts to get dull and boring. This is because it is missing a proper climax and everything is way to predictable. One other mistake is killing off george cloony which meant adding to how boring the film was, they even try to bring him back but it was just not good enough and they did not put enough effort to making a good film instead they put out a lot of effort into advertising the film by using two famous actors. Not a good watch and i would definitely never watch it again Expand
  90. Nov 11, 2013
    I will start by saying I am a huge fan of "user ratings" and I have consistently used this website to make viewing decisions. This movie was so bad, that I finally did it...I made an account so I could share with you, and hopefully alter your decision.
    Gravity was one of the worst movies I have ever seen! In a film that was rich in special effects that I will admit are quite stunning,
    lies a hollywood turd that people are choosing to gawk at.
    This movie is literally the "SANDRA BULLOCK CAN GRAB ONTO POWER HOUR". If you would like to see her continually miss grabbing for 2 hours..then this movie is for you. Clooney is the highlight..all for about 5 minutes he is actually in the film! I hate this movie, I hate it so much.
    Granted its visually appealing, that is about all its got. DONT WATCH THIS GARBAGE MOVIE!
  91. Nov 15, 2013
    Coming here and seeing that the critic's score of this movie is 91 and the one of a movie like "The Green Mile" is just 61 surprised me a lot. A great trailer and then nothing: insignificant characters, repetitive plot, banal ending. Don't waste your time and money.
  92. Nov 16, 2013
    Terrible, even in 3D with the amazing CGI & soundtrack, I wanted to puke my balls out of my the entirety of this movie. The plot sucked balls, Clooney or however the you spell his name is a chode, and Bullock needs to reconsider her career options.
  93. Mar 18, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie is a disgrace to science. None of the writers heard of inertia? Bullock wouldn't have made it out of the opening scenes. I haven't seen a movie this bad since Buckaroo Banzai. Clooney was horrible and so care-free about dying. CGI and one cliff hanger after another. Horrible script. This movie is everything thats wrong with society. If I could give this movie a negative numerical rating, I would. If you love sic-fi, pass this movie by. Expand
  94. Apr 1, 2014
    Horrible piece of sh*t, insulting physics and logic from the very premises. I won't make a list of errors here, but suffice to say it's impossible to watch this without going "what the **** why the **** every few minutes.
  95. Oct 11, 2013
    “Gravity” stars Sandra Bullock, George Clooney and the voice of Ed Harris. As lacking as it is in the number of cast members, it is even more lacking in terms of entertainment. Director and co-writer Alfonso Cuaron has given us a film that is devoid of logic and reality. Although one must acknowledge the awesome scenes supposedly from outer space, this could all be achieved by watching the opening credits of “2001 A Space Oddysey” or attending an Imax film on the International Space Station.
    Ms. Bullock and Mr. Clooney just don’t belong in the movie since their portrayals are simply not believable.. In casting Ms. Bullock, the director no doubt remembered her in the film “Speed” and her attempt to control a runaway bus. Unfortunately, in this film, she is supposed to be more than an innocent passenger and, instead of a bus, she plays an astronaut attempting to control a damaged space ship. It just doesn’t work and the 91 minutes it takes to tell the story is much too long, even for a “woe-manned” (pun intended) space flight. Mr. Clooney’s participation is a puzzlement and, as for Ed Harris, he was smart enough not to be seen but only heard..As I watched the film I was aware of the large number of critics who literally loved this picture. Why, I do not know. As for me, I can only be grateful that I saw the film in 3D since the space images are the only redeeming features in it. For that reason I give the film a 6.5 for, without these scenes, it could well deserve less.
  96. Oct 15, 2013
    I personally wish the sci-fi genre were the dominant genre of hollywood. Unfortunately, it's not. However, this film makes up for the lack of SF films and the crappy ones that do come out. It's an 11/10 for all the reasons other user reviews have said. People would be insane to dislike this film. Two of the best actors in the game at the top of it. Must see.
  97. Dec 24, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Training an astronaut takes a whole lot of time and money. They are trained to deal with all sorts of calamities. How Sandra Bullock even made it through the first day of astronaut school is a mystery. She is in constant panic mode, which really gets utterly annoying after 10 minutes. The movie starts with a botched attempt by the Russians (of course) to shoot down one of their own satellites. Since when is that the way to retire a satellite Every time anybody retires a satellite, it is all over the news. Because it is crashed into the ocean. It is never ever shot down, that is not even technically possible. What is George Clooney doing in this movie Nobody knows, he just...dies, in a pathetic attempt to create heroism. The dialogue is awful all the way. Why is the ISS completely abandoned Why is she sitting there in that pod in her underwear She really is not a looker, she is almost 50, and I swear I could see the cellulitis on her legs. In all, given the utter flatness of her character, who cares if she makes it or not ?
    I simply do not see how this movie can get such a high rating.
  98. Nov 9, 2013
    Touching, funny, involving, human, simple, direct. This is perfect cinema. Utterly convincing, almost to the extent of making me queasy, though I soon got my space legs, Gravity makes maximum use of sound and vision.

Just remember to breathe!
  99. Oct 24, 2013
    I got back into my metacritic account after a long time because of my disappointment in the movie. First, this movie is hit hard in the lacking of a good script and one thing that I despise is cheesiness unfortunately this movie is loaded with awkward, goofy screenwriting many will disagree with this and that's fine. But I guarantee many of you out there saw this and saw beyond its very amazing cinematography and visuals which are the small bit of praise I will give for Gravity. Now to move to the acting and the characters, first off the acting was limited, it was much of just sandra bullock and unfortunately this isn't her best performance, not necessarily her fault here though. The fault lies in what I see as TERRIBLE characters and story to boast. I am someone who gets fully engrossed in a movie emotionally and its not a hard thing for me to usually do. This movie was just bland, if you look past the fantastic visuals and cinematography what you get is a story with a bland character and a couple moments of George Clooney being George Clooney. I am an avid movie goer and lover of movies, I don't hate on movies much but I was so disappointed in this movie due to the high metacritic score (usually a good sign in my opinion) but I seriously thought this was complete trash. Expand
  100. Jan 19, 2014
    For a movie that prides it self on accuracy, it seems to have none. Even if you take the whole intro for granted, there was a scene that pissed me off (spoliers) ---->

When she gets caught in the station and captures the other astronaut there is something pulling them away. Do they not understand the conecpt of zero G, there is nothing pulling anyone, like really come on. You could at
    least make a plot that didn't have as many holes as this

end of spoilers TLDR non realistic unnecessarily full of plot holes

1. Reviewed by: James Mottram
    Nov 3, 2013
    A stunning space saga that takes off for new technical frontiers without leaving its humanity behind.
  2. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Oct 6, 2013
    Gravity is not a film of ideas, like Kubrick's techno-mystical "2001," but it's an overwhelming physical experience -- a challenge to the senses that engages every kind of dread. [7 Oct. 2013, p.88]
  3. Reviewed by: Dana Stevens
    Oct 4, 2013
    This is not to say that Gravity is a masterpiece: Unlike Cuarón’s extraordinary "Children of Men", it doesn’t quite pull off its ambitious effort to combine formal inventiveness, heart-pounding action, and intimate human storytelling. But it succeeds thrillingly at the first two of those categories, and only misses the mark on the last because it tries a little too hard — which is certainly a welcome respite from the countless sci-fi thrillers that privilege the human story not at all.