7.9

1. Oct 9, 2013
    This is a very good movie. The first 30 minutes is outstanding. George Clooney delivers a great performance, and nearly steals the movie. The script and the production values are AAA. I actually like Sandra Bullock as a film actress, but she could have added more depth based on her character arc in the script.
  2. Oct 6, 2013
    "Gravity" is a directors film though and through. Alfonso Cuaron does a magnificent job of creating the feeling of being in space. When I was watching this movie, I really felt like I was drifting through space much like the characters as they tumbled and twirled around in the vast emptiness of the unknown. There’s a lot of quiet and somber moments in this film, mostly with the characters floating around and just talking about their life. However, it’s always absorbing. As you’re drawn into the experience, you feel as if you are there with the characters witnessing everything first hand. The cinematography is quit brilliant and is a major factor in giving the sense of being in space. The camera masterfully spins and turns weightlessly in a way that it would in space without giving a dizzying feeling. My breath was also taken away a few times from the sheer beauty of some of the shots and how they were composed.

The script on the other hand is quit good as well. The story of letting go and moving on is handled well with a lot of attention to visual story telling. It gives us a real sense of the terrors and loneliness of space, a place were our screams can’t be heard. The themes of letting go are handled very well as we see the characters learn and grow. My gripe with the script would have to do with the dialogue. Some of the things the characters say either take me out of the film at times or make me feel like its unnecessary. The dialogue also sometimes felt like a crutch as it sometimes stated the obvious.

The cast is incredibly small, but it is no short of big names. George Clooney as Matt Kowalski gives a solid performance. Kowalski is a typical quick talking charmer that Clooney is so accustomed to playing, but the character does provide some of the lighter moments in the film. The real standout is Sandra Bullock as Ryan Stone. Ryan has a hard time letting go of the past as she had a terrible tragedy befall her. Bullock plays the character well with little quirks of uncertainty and gives us a very likable character that we can all cheer for.

Visually, this film is stunning and a treat for the eyes. From one jaw-dropping shot composition to the next, I was almost always in awe of what I was seeing. Space looked incredibly real and Cuaron and crew made everything look so seamless. The score isn’t bad either. It’s usually quiet, but when something goes down, it really aids in the terror and urgency of the situation. Not only that, but it can also be powerfully moving and uplift as well.

Overall, from a technical stand point, “Gravity” is a masterpiece. I was almost always in awe of what I was seeing and a lot of the credit goes to Alfonso Cuaron. He really gave us an experience that heightened our senses. From masterful cinematography to stunning visual effects, it is a treat for the eyes. Wonderful and unique shots are spread throughout this film and I really fell like I’ve never seen anything like this before. The only complain I have for this film is the dialogue. While interesting, I felt it didn’t fit well all the time with what we were watching. This movie was at its best when it was quiet. I give it an incredibly high 4/5, an experience.
  3. Oct 23, 2013
    Meh, it's ok, (relatively) short and predictable. Shots/special effects are _very good, but there are several dull/slow moments that really don't fit; George Clooney's performance is very limited. Overall, I was expecting much more.
  4. Mar 2, 2014
    Meteor hit every station as soon as Bullock reach it, and of course there are russian and chinese stations floating around and you can reach those with fire extinguisher.
    The story is totally cheap and even stupid and dumb. This is NOT a Sci-Fi but someone's not really good imagination.
  5. Oct 9, 2013
    Mala por donde se la mira, George Clooney hace un papel de payaso insoportable, es una película que no te deja nada, ademas de las carencias por parte de los analistas y asesores con respecto al comportamiento de las "cosas" en el espacio, la película carece de dialogo, se trata de inventarles un perfil a los personajes pero no se logra. Se abusa del retoque digital en Sandra Bullock teniendo mejor cuerpo que una mujer de 20 años. Quien le dio tan buena critica? Expand
  6. Oct 7, 2013
    This movie is a perfect 10

The visuals,the audio detail, the acting, the story, and execution were perfect. I have nothing bad to say about it

Great score

Sandra really proved herself in this movie and I think its a good role for her and a good move

I knew I wouldnt be disappointed by a movie with Alfonso's name on it
  7. Oct 4, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The movie is a metaphor for rebirth or reincarnation, I feel almost certain. From her male name, to the way that Clooney's Matt seems so unphased, almost deity like, showing up to pull her back from the emotional brink over and over... of course there's the shot where she's in a fetal position, and then there's the vision of the buddha, and then there's the way she says "Mommy!" at a particularly frightening moment (I could have misheard) and finally, she is birthed back into the world, finally taking her first breath after her long ordeal. Matt's advice to her is to learn to let go. Her emotional pain from her previous life was preventing her from being reborn, and finally, she heals and is reincarnated as Ryan Stone. There are more little symbols and moments that suggest this metaphor, but maybe it was all a dream. Expand
  8. Oct 11, 2013
    This is literally the best movie I have ever seen. There is so much to love. I have never left a theater speechless before. But I did that night, and I could not speak for at least half an hour afterwards.
  9. Feb 12, 2014
    Overrated seems to be wrong. Words like "intense, gripping, breathtaking, beautiful" I've read in some reviews serve as perfect antonyms for what my opinion about the film was. Yet another splendid cinematography (it gets a 2 because of that, otherwise it would be a nice round 0) used for all the wrong reasons. I really don't understand why the critics loved it so much, this has flaws in every direction you look at it.

My favourite reviews, especially, are the ones that refer to the film as "realistic", which is nonsense and I don't think I should explain why. The acting is horrible, and honestly I was expecting a little more from Clooney, who's been doing a lot of decent stuff recently. Sandra Bullock's gasps will be everything you hear for a good hour, and I take it they had to write them all down in the screenplay to get it to two pages.

No character development, same trite space story. The struggle for survival and blah blah, while everything I wished was for Sandra Bullock to die already.

Do not give money to this kind of cinema because you help boasting their income and encourage them to continue on this line, and we've had enough of that.
  10. Oct 10, 2013
    Gravity is a long movie, which needed a better story line. At times I felt bored, it seems the same thing happens over and over again. Sandra Bullock's character barely grabs on to something, but manages to hold on. Some of the best effects and hands down should be nominated for "best visual effects" at the Oscars.
    The trailer gives the idea that the movie is based on Sandra Bullocks
    character floating away, and NASA trying to save her. This is not the case at all. It has a less exciting story line, it just didn't pull the audience in. Expand
  11. Oct 20, 2013
    Space... the final frontier... of near death and thrilling situations. That summs the movie up. If we left out the jaw dropping ambiance, scenery and cinematography. When the first cut in this movie happened I clapped. Wanna know why? Because it doesn't happen till 3 minutes into the movie when the satellite debry starts cutting through dudes faces. That is masterpiece editing done by the proud Mexican (I'm Mexican)
    Alfonso Cuarón. The flowing of every scene is smooth but tense at the
    same time. You gasp for air and control when you are put in Bullock's
    point of view while she spins into the nothingness of space. And those
    scenes last... and are absolutely beautifully choreographed. The tense
    atmosphere that Cuarón achieves doesn't let go of you until the last
    second of the movie for you to realize how sweaty you are. The script
    and dialogue aren't something to be amazed about, but the acting makes
    up for it. The charm and charisma of Clooney are entertaining and you
    really believe some of the scenes done by Sandra Bullock who plays this
    really unlucky (but at the same time lucky?) astronaut. Cuarón achieves
    greatness with eye popping visuals and a surprisingly low (for the
    things you experience in the movie) budget and that is something you
    don't see that often. I can really see some Oscar statues in Cuaron's
    pocket in 2014.
  12. Jan 25, 2014
    I am one of the few people who didn't enjoy Gravity. I found Sandra Bullock's character annoying. If this was the real world her character wouldn't have even passed basic training. She lacked knowledge about space that would be extremely important for an astronaut to know. I also didn't like her character's back story. It was just sad to be sad, there was no real reason for it. I would have prefered a stronger character fighting to live for what they had back home rather than having Bullock's character have really nothing to live for. What I did like about the movie was the special effects. They were amazing to watch. Maybe I would have enjoyed Gravity more if I saw it in IMAX but on a regular screen it was majorly lacking. Expand
  13. Oct 7, 2013
    This is a very simple movie at heart. A 90min thriller that takes place in the vacuum of space. There is very little dialogue, back story, and minimal sound effects (no sound in space after all). Clooney is the veteran spaceman and calming voice of reason while Bullock is the 6 months trainee and panicking. You'll instantly be familiar with story, characters, and setting 20mins in, but thats OK. Visually this movie is amazing using lengthy, single shots (my guess to show the infinity of outer space) and the occasional 1st person perspective. 90mins is a perfect length for Gravity cause Bullock's escalating bad luck does start to get ridiculous. Bottomline: Total worth seeing in theaters!!! Expand
  14. Nov 9, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The negative reviews here are baffling. Truly baffling. A lot of them are saying "there's no plot". Well what exactly are we looking for here? Debris from a destroyed satellite impacts upon a small-scale mission above Earth and we then follow in near real-time an attempt by the survivors to return to Earth. So we spend about 90 minutes in that situation and what happens is what happens. How much of a character arc can we really expect?

Other comments are like this :
    "Bad acting". Utter drivel.
    "Sets feminism back with a female character who just panics and hyperventilates". WTF?

I think I'd panic, too. A lot.

Clooney's character was calm because this wasn't his first rodeo. Bullock's Ryan was on her first trip out. She's set adrift in space without a way to take control and that caused her to panic. A lot. Seems reasonable. It had nothing to do with her gender. Nothing in this film is concerned with gender. It's absolutely ludicrous to try and make an argument that this film is diminishing feminism.

One of the '0' reviews I read said that people who are raving about the film are too embarrassed to say they don't like it because they've bought into the hype. Honestly, I'd say it was the other way around. These reviewers are determined not to like this film.

It's clear that I'm very much in favour of this film.
    You should see it for yourself.
    When you do, remind yourself of the strongly negative opinions and try and relate them to what you've just seen. You should logically conclude that the negative reviews are, as I said, baffling.

If you find yourself agreeing with the bizarre negativity, then re-read this and know that now I'm complaining about you. Yes, you. You baffle me.
  15. Oct 5, 2013
    I had low expectations for this movie but after watching the film, I made a decision to never go to space. Space is a silent and dangerous place to go, that was what I learned after watching Gravity. The movie did an excellent execution of showing the dangers that space holds for it's visitors. The acting of Sandra Bullock was outstanding, the way she would say her lines and the way she acts, was such a joy to watch. George Clooney was excellent as well, his like perfect for an astronaut role. He knows that in situations like these, you have to be calm or else your going to die. The visual effects were like out of this world, scenes were ships are being destroyed by asteroids were one of the highlights of the film, because everyone in theatre had their jaws dropped. The movie showed us that giving up is not an option even if your trapped in a situation where escape is impossible and if you do succeed, your considered as an underdog. Gravity was such a good movie and it deserves a very high score. Gravity gets a 10/10 from Jetstar. Expand
  16. Oct 5, 2013
    OH MY GOSH! this movie was so intense,damn! i was so nervous my heart was pumping like crazy oh god i don't know how to explain what the movie makes u feel,there were so many feeling,emotions just PERFECT!
  17. Dec 26, 2013
    This movie is a joke. It had amazing visuals that took some 7 years to do (they had to wait for the technology to be created). It had a script that was written in 30 minutes, while the writer was drunk and high. It had acting that was great at first, but got repetitive and annoying. Worst of all, there's no arc, there's no story; it's just the same 5-minute loop over and over again. If you've seen the trailer, you've seen the whole movie. Expand
  18. Jan 25, 2014
    This movie is bad and equally as overrated as uncharted 3 even the secret life of Walter Mitty was better than this steaming pile of **** **** this movie to hell it doesn't deserve all of this praise the story is the combination of uncharted 3 and ratchet size matters and sonic heroes that's a pretty bad sign since the new Mario games suck.
  19. Nov 8, 2013
    Like Kubrick's '2001: Space Odyssey', this movie is about space. But instead of psychologically challenging you, it challenges your body. I was shaking in my chair because of the thrill the movie provided and after leaving the theatre I was constantly looking at the sky and thinking about the movie. It's a movie experience you will hardly leave to die, because it's so unique. Few movies can impact on a person such as this does, so I recommend you too will experience it. Expand
  20. Jan 8, 2014
    A movie that is not about science fiction should stay true to science that governs our universe. Being an engineer myself i cringed every second i saw b-s physics just to advance the non-existent plot. Not a movie for educated people who actually likes a plot and presentation to go along with it. More of a movie for the brainless people who thinks woofing in a spacepod is emotional and opening the airlock of it is actually a cool idea for the reunion cliche.

This movie is a litmus paper to stupidity and the ratings show the average brain power of people who watched this movie.
  21. Oct 25, 2013
    Stunning realism to the science of space, along with extraordinary cinematography and special effects, brilliant, entertaining acting by Sandra Bullock and George Clooney, give this sci-fi it's interesting cataclysmic plot, and it's essence of a dramatic-thriller Mexican film-making [of Alfonso Cuaron] proves both entertaining and sophisticated.
  22. Oct 9, 2013
    Excellent movie with great visuals and atmosphere. Even with some boredom when we have to sit through with the characters mental breakdown and psychological struggle to stay calm and get through the occurring mess in open space, the movie is a great experience that makes you worship the ground you are standing on.
  23. Nov 17, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Alfonso Cuarón’s intense space thriller Gravity chronicles the struggle of two astronauts to return home when their shuttle is damaged beyond repair by an unprecedented cascade of destructive space debris.

Though undeniably engaging and action-packed, there is an understated atmosphere that comes from the focus on a small cast and their isolation. It’s not pure science-fiction, though fiction allows it to circumnavigate the criticism it has received for scientific inaccuracies. In the absence of any vast treatise on the destiny of humanity, Gravity becomes a contemporary space adventure that is both modern thriller and character drama.

The term ‘shot’ is used loosely here, because the real stars are the stunning visual effects, created in London. What the production team have created is a live action film that is almost entirely and inconspicuously computer generated. Our heroes are inserted into the immersing void above a stunning blue pearl, as they navigate speeding debris, collapsing spacecraft and vast leagues of emptiness.

Cuarón strays into tried and tested Hollywood characterisation with his two leads, the newbie and the veteran. Similarly, the action settles itself in the typical action movie camp, demanding suspension of disbelief from the audience. It’s easy to lose count of the times someone miraculously grabs the very last railing before hurtling off to their doom, but for every time this happens, cinematic karma provides another situation when luck runs out, and their fate appears sealed.

George Clooney appears as Lt. Matt Kowalski, an old space dog enjoying his last spacewalk as he pipes country music through his suit. Clooney’s got the experience: this isn’t his first voyage to the stars, or the first time his ship’s gone down. However, the story really belongs to Bullock, who inhabits her character Dr. Ryan Stone (“my dad wanted a boy”) with emotional intensity.

Stone has none of Kowalski’s confidence, and is terrified when things go awry. We learn she has lost a young daughter, and since then retreated into her research. Cuarón revisits themes of futility explored in Children of Men as Stone must decide whether to resign herself to fate and be reunited with her daughter, or fight desperately for life. With little desire for self preservation, she teeters on the verge of accepting the former more than once.

The tool of her absolution is a symbolic rebirth, explicitly visualised when she removes her bulky spacesuit for the first time and drifts in a foetal position, the cable that tethered her to the ill-fated shuttle floating past as a suggestive umbilical cord. Dressed simply, her vulnerability at this point is reminiscent of Sigourney Weaver’s Ripley in Alien (1979).

Gravity is the latest exploration of how far visual technology has come since the pioneering Avatar (2009). While that film basked in the visual candy of alien flora and fauna, Gravity’s portrayal of the vacuum of space, and the perceived lack of a certain fundamental interaction, invites comparisons with other masterpieces of space on film.

Themes of rebirth and the use of long, uninterrupted shots owe a debt to 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968), which is ultimately wider in scope. Though elegance remains in Kubrick’s classically scored wide shots of docking spacecraft, Gravity ups the ante by dynamically moving the camera through these long sequences, swooping around characters and spacecraft to fully exploit the versatile digital environment. Composer Steven Price’s score meanwhile is haunting silence highlighted by thunderous crescendo. Long shots are interspersed with the view from Bullock’s perspective, emphasising disorientation as she spins out of control.

It’s hard to believe 2001 was released 45 years ago when its effects, created sans computer, still appear so realistic. Kubrick achieved weightlessness with strings, while cameras filming from unconventional directions turned the pendulum-like swing into weightless drifting in another axis. The iconic floating pen was achieved by fixing it to a transparent sheet of rotating plastic. It’s a mark of how far effects have come that multiple pens, along with a plethora of other equipment, frequently spin past Bullock as she clambers through space station interiors.

Apollo 13 (1995) eschewed special effects for the real thing, filming aboard NASA’s astronaut training aircraft, the famous “Vomit Comet” which completed hundreds of descents to give the film makers enough time to shoot. Incidentally, another link between the films sees (or hears) Apollo 13’s mission controller Ed Harris reprises his role as the voice of Houston at the start of Gravity. Notably absent in Gravity are the Earth-based back stories and cutaways to Houston’s desperate attempts at rescue exactly the kind of narrative that padded out Apollo 13. When communications go down early in the film, they are completely on their own.
  24. Oct 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I found this movie a little too hyped.

The visuals, directing, sound & music design, science, immersiveness deserves a huge amount of praise, especially because it's a new style never explored before which makes it even more difficult for Alfonso Cuarón to get them right.

However I felt like the script was a letdown. It was too cliche to be revolutionary. They need a twist? Debris flying in your direction! Or fuel conveniently runs out. Also felt a little too draggy at a few points. I also felt that they could have expanded on the 'Russia blowing up their satellites and somehow taking out half of US' satellites causing nationwide comms blackout'. That was such a good plot to expand on.

Still would strongly recommend everyone to watch this though.
  25. Oct 5, 2013
    Overrated is definitely the term that comes to mind. It's not a bad movie per say, but it certainly is not a 96.

The formula here is: technical space flight problem solving of "Apollo 13" meets the human spirit and ability to survive from "127 Hours."

The problem is, this movie doesn't do either aspect well enough. Both aforementioned movies, as well as "Moon" do a better job in
    almost all categories.

This movie is a clear favorite for best cinematography, and the music was top notch as well. Those two areas were not enough to carry the movie for me however.

It's not a movie I would recommend to others, but it's not a movie I would recommend against either.
  26. Oct 6, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Okay, stop listening to the endless praise. This movie, while fairly good, is vastly overrated. Warning, this contains SPOILERS!!!!

The visual effects and the soundtrack are unbelievable. There's not much more to be said about them, except that they are clearly the staple of the film. However, once you get past that, the film can become painfully dull and filled with "ARE YOU F@#%ING KIDDING ME" moments.

For example (spoiler): When Sandra Bullo- whoops, "Ryan Stone," is caught on the thin wires holding on to George Cloo- sorry, Kowalski- there is clearly nothing stopping Stone from just pulling him over to her. But nope! She lets go because the script called for it.

Spoiler's over, you can read now.

Another example is that the debris cloud could not possibly travel around the ENTIRE WORLD in 90 minutes. This "chain reaction" would only be possible over the span of months.

The character(s) have no story to them, and the one who does has a forced tragic backstory to tell WHILE DRIFTING THROUGH SPACE. During this predictable monologue, I found myself increasingly hoping that this character would run out of oxygen.

By the way, in this, 4% of an oxygen tank takes 10 minutes to drain, but the last 1% over 20 minutes.

I'm not saying that this movie is necessarily bad. Honestly, it is worth a viewing in IMAX 3D. But a second time isn't something I'd consider.
  27. Feb 1, 2014
    This film is the most overrated thing I have ever watched. Not only is it just ludicrous to put religious themes in there but the fact that the laws of physics didn't even apply was the worst part, apparently the ISS was only 100 miles from the shuttle but if you look at the Earth and the ISS it is clear it is almost 3,000km away! Such a stupid film and mind numbingly offensive to people with knowledge on Astronomy. Sandra Bullick also acted horribly and unrealistically, no depth to her character at all, just strange reactions and boring backstory on her daughter. One thing I'll give it is the cinematography is superb but if you have a background on Astronomy DON'T WATCH THIS FILM! It will frustrate the **** out of you.  Expand
  28. Oct 4, 2013
    Gravity may be the Jaws of this generation. Right from the start, this movie's straightforward premise grips its audience and doesn't let go until the credits roll.

The best aspect of Gravity is its cinematography, which is masterfully done and chock-full of long takes (a favorite of mine). The worst aspect is its story, which screams with suspense but lacks any real depth. I was
    expecting more, even from a sci-fi action thriller. We're offered just a taste of the kinds of lives the main characters live and, as a result, sympathize with them only to the extent that we hope they make it out alive. George Clooney plays the same unflappable wise guy he plays in every movie and Sandra Bullock plays a doctor still getting used to the hardships that lie beyond our atmosphere. During a maintenance mission, something bad happens which thrusts the characters into a survival situation. Any further elaborations would seriously constitute spoiling the movie.

If you're looking for a great thrill ride, the price of admission is easily worth it. Gravity consumes you while in the theater, but the lack of complex themes or deeper meaning means that it won't be stirring in your head long after you reach home.
  29. Oct 5, 2013
    By far one of the best cinema experiences ive ever had. Sure there were obvious outcomes, yet it holds the tension beautifully from beginning to end and truly crafts suspension of disbelief for the viewer.
    Even more so, the stunningly complex visuals are backed by a stimulating pallet of terrifyingly sparse atmosphere underlined with pulsating crescendo's of electronic dissonance, making
    this movie's impact all the more impressive.
    The fact that the cast is relatively small (with most of it being performed by one actress) is a refreshing change prompting new approaches to dialogue while dissipating the borders of the screen to creatively engage the audience in Dr.Stone's desperate crawl to survival.
    Cinematography in this film was practically larger than life, creating a true sense of fear, awe and utter isolation. (Highly suggest sitting in the front row if you want total immersion)
    Felt like i was being exposed to open vacuum the entire time and somehow just managing to escape; it really was one hell of a ride.
  30. Oct 6, 2013
    Great movie see in 3d Sandra Bullock is awesome. The special effects were so real. I was on the edge of my seat during the whole movie. It made me think of real astronauts and their missions
  31. Oct 6, 2013
    If I here one more complaint about 'character development', I'm going to scream. Just a few minor character details is all one needs to know to get on with the story, fill the rest in with the power of imagination. Long-winded 'character development' with flashbacks and shots of life back on earth would have destroyed this fragile film. You don't 'care' about the characters? Get over yourself. We won't even go there. 'Implausible' is another word thrown around. They have missed the boat. About as realistic 'sci-fi' film as you will see, no aliens, no death ray guns. The most dangerous situation is debris, debris!

Look, can we cut to the chase here? This film is about nothing more than Life itself, there's nothing bigger, or better. we can throw around words like metaphor or microcosm, but the is that this film is a game-changer, a towering achievement in cinema, a landmark in motion pictures, a masterpiece constructed by a humanist, a master film maker at the top of his game. Too many cliches? Please forgive.

Rarely have I been brought to tears at the end of a 'thriller'. This film doesn't want your tears, but there they were. Was I thinking about my own life? Did it all hit me at once at the immensity of the films themes? Yes, it's that kind of film, all wrapped in a 'thriller'. I hope this film becomes a blockbuster: escapism, pure adrenaline, a red-blooded thrill ride, with heart and soul to spare, pure poetry in motion, if you will. As intimate as a art-house flick on a a large scale budget.

'Is anybody out there?' The mystery of being alive is all laid out here. Making a connection, the human touch, the wonder, the awe-inspiring fragility of it all. Yes it can be lonely out there, and the great unknown hovering over, but we are not solo lonesome creatures, we need to hear and be heard no matter how trivial. When people say, 'how insignificant we are in the grand scheme of things', that is a scary thought. This film is about hope, the triumph of the human will to survive, reflection, deep contemplation, spirituality, without hammering you over the head. It's done with love and care. I felt a deep appreciation for a film that cares, so do we.

A new level of excellence must be mentioned for sound design and special affects, not going to pretend I know how they did it, doesn't matter, movies are an illusion, and the trick is told when the trick is sold.

Sandra Bullock, is magnificent. It is said that the most interesting subject in film is the human face. She is able to at once project and reflect all the necessary emotion that she feels and more important, the audience is right there with her.

'Gravity' is the front-runner for best picture, in my humble opinion. A masterwork of pure film making, it touches your heart and mind, and is exciting as any film I have ever seen, and I don't say that lightly. You want a 'plot summary?' Not here.

A most special movie-going experience.
  32. Oct 6, 2013
    The movie was beyond my expectations. Since it was announced during Venice Film Festival, I was already intrigued. After the initial teaser trailer, I was sold. The movie was intense and gripping. The first 10 mins of the movie grabs hold of you and leaves you paralyzed, asking what is going to happen next. Sandra Bullock played her character as Ryan Stone with so much emotion that it makes you feel the pain and loneliness she went through in the movie. This is definitely a must see of the year. Expand
  33. Oct 7, 2013
    I'm not feeling it. This movie was BORING. Thank goodness it was only 90 minutes long since most of that 90 minutes was spent watching Sandra Bullock gasping, grunting, and hyperventilating out in space. There was hardly any plot and zero character development, George Clooney was practically non existent except for a few minutes of "witty repartee" with Bullock at the beginning. Oscar-worthy material? Okay, maybe for special effects. Expand
  34. Oct 8, 2013
    Breakthrough kind of film. Milestone. Subject of study in Universities of Visual Arts.
    Cuaron is a genius All the things he had to overcome to do this the way he wanted!!...Awesome Bullock in her part.
    It has been some years since the last time we can share at a movie theater a cinematographic experience so organically vividly and in some many different levels, and it will pass some
    time for the next one.
    Some may say is a simple story, but there are layers if you want to go deep, it´s up to you. You choose. or just relax if you can) and enjoy the most amazing out of this world space trip you'll ever gonna get.
    ( Can't understand critics of physic, astronomy, etc... Its only a movie! Get over it.!. those critics speak for the persons who talked, by the way))
    Pure cinema spirit. Marvelous
  35. Oct 12, 2013
    A masterpiece of a movie that's at once visually beautiful, emotional, and thrilling. This should be the example of how to make a movie that's carried by a strong female lead.
  36. Oct 12, 2013
    G R A V I T Y MIND BLOWING 3D! VISUALLY EXCITING AND S-C-A-R-Y at the same time. The movie's director Alfonso Curon (harry potter 3'rd part movie), decided to shoot nearly 60% of the movie in 1'st person perspective -and the result is spine chilling. They were times I forgot I was watching a movie in a theater cause it felt like I was out there in space (with SANDRA BULLOCK) spinning wildly out of control, without any idea where to go. The 3D is incredible. I HAVE NEVER EXPERIENCE A MOVIE LIKE THIS ON THE BIG SCREEN EVER BEFORE. AND I EMPHASIZE ON EXPERIENCE CAUSE WATCHING THIS MOVIE ON THE BIG SCREEN IS TRULY AN EXPERIENCE THAT NO MOVIE LOVING HUMAN BEING SHOULD EVER MISS. Any one thinking about watching this movie (via download, dvd, blu-ray, clueray blaha blah,) anywhere other than a theater will be a waste for him/her. THis is truly a big screen, 3D tHEATRE MOVIE LIKE NONE BEFORE (even AVATAR didn't give me this experience). as for the story it is thrilling, emotional, along with rock solid performance from SANDRA BULLOCK (she really sinks her teeth into this role physically and emotionally) a solid extended cameo with a heroic, emotional and incredibly charming act from George Clooney!! MUST WATCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 5 STARS RATING LOVED EVERY MINUTE OF THIS 90 MINUTE MOVIE Expand
  37. Oct 13, 2013
    It is a cinematic masterpiece thanks to its technical prowess. Have never seen anything like this. Exhilarating Stuff. It is a story of Life, Death, Loneliness, Fear, Courage and Life. It is a story of Infinite and Finite. Story of Air, Water and Vacuum.Of Distance and Destiny. Of Silence. Of Energy. Of Motion, Of Gravity.
    You will not forget the weight of this movie for a long long time to come
  38. Oct 20, 2013
    I signed up on Metacritic just to write this review. Perhaps this particular epiphany has come to others much faster, but I now officially give up on humanity. I went to see this film (and heavily dodged spoilers) because this movie received over 40 positive critic reviews with no mixed and no negative reviews. Metacritic is notoriously hard on movies, so I was excited. Would this be as good as Sunshine? Moon? Perhaps better?

And then I got this. What a waste of some serious audio and visual talent. Imagine if there was some science? Or a story? Or some sane dialogue?

You get the picture. 5 points for all the technical people behind this. Nothing for anything else. See it to support the genre and hope that the next time a movie like this is pitched they recognize that the rave reviews and big box office happened despite the characters/dialogue/story.
  39. Oct 20, 2013
    Stunning visuals, perfect sound mixing and editing, and a great performance by academy award winner Sandra Bullock. Gravity is an intense ride that will keep you on the edge of your seat. Cuaron's best movie to date. A must watch!
  40. Oct 27, 2013
    An intense, beautifully crafted film. For the entirety of the movie, I was holding my breath and on the edge of my seat, quite literally in fact. A relatively short runtime gives the feeling of length without exhaustion, and the acting, visual effects, sound effects, and soundtrack, are so incredibly engrossing, that after the film ended, I felt like I had to check in with myself that i was sitting in a theater. Absolutely something to put on anyone's must watch list. Expand
  41. Nov 10, 2013
    Gravity (90 wonderful minutes) Sandra Bullock- Dr. Ryan Stone George Clooney- Matt Kowalski Ed Harris Mission Control (voice)

Gravity is not only one of the best movies about space ever made, it is one of the best movies ever made, period. From the opening until the end, the moviegoer is held in the spellbinding grip of this magnificent film. Gravity deserves every Oscar that can be
    forged, it is just that good.

There are no gratuitous sex scenes, no sappy no corporate logos or political innuendos in this film, just 90 minutes of gripping, spellbinding entertainment. This is one of the tightest movies I have ever seen, not one second wasted, no fluff, no quarter and no pause. From the moment you are in your seat, prepare to stay there and prepare to be absorbed by this tour de force of a film. The attention to detail is absolutely amazing, it's about the best I have ever seen. My popcorn and every edible half-popped kernel was consumed in the first 30 minutes and any thoughts of relieving an aching bladder during this film were discarded as the cinematic greatness manifested itself throughout the entire 90 minutes.

Sandra Bullock was wonderful in this role, certainly an award-winning performance from beginning to end. I will try really hard to avoid Spoilers here, but this film is brutally real as there is no saving the day or head-turning suspension of disbelief. The scene in the Russian capsule where Dr. Ryan seemingly had accepted her inevitable fate...I won't say any more, just go see this film.

This movie received universal acclaim from the professional critics, but has been savaged by quite a few amateur movie critics who criticize the movie for two main reasons. First, the storyline is assailed as being mediocre or pedestrian, and others rail against the scientific accuracy of what is portrayed in the film. To this I say, codswallop. Many forget the purpose of movies, i.e. to entertain the audience, and this one does this in spades.

Just go see it, you will not be sorry. Five Stars out of Five.
  42. Nov 17, 2013
    Why is there so much buzz about this movie? It is just a woman breathing into the microphone. The theater audience was half-awake during this movie. I will give 4 points to the stunning visuals in this movie, however.

Summary: Overrated, Boring, Visually Fantastic
    Grade: 36%
  43. Nov 12, 2013
    The opening scenes on wonderful views of earth from space may have you thinking "this is going to be another Space Odyssey". Unfortunately it's not, it's just another space movie with well crafted visual effects on a very obvious plot.
  44. Nov 13, 2013
    The movie "Gravity" is the sad indictment of current film critics such as Claudia Winkleman & her BBC co presenter Danny Leigh,the hype for this film has been extraordinarily over generous, this small engaging space saga tries to show that women can do what is usually depicted by Hollywood as a mans job...for the life of me i could not see why fellow astronaut Matt (George Clooney) was so much in a hurry to cut himself free from his co star & become just another piece of floating space junk,i found Sandra Bullocks expertise sadly lacking, not least by her rather amateur attempt at fixing a .malfunctioned circuit board attached to the Hubble Iam sure NASA would not have sent someone into space who had failed miserably to learn the docking & unlocking procedures that might be just needed on such a perilous mission, that said Bullocks role was well acted but.. certainly not Oscar material... Clooneys role for what is was could have frankly been played by any actor,special affects were very good but have been bettered, I found there were hints of the Signora Weavers character Ripely in the far superior "Alien" movie but lets not even go there..,nonetheless not a bad try... but keep your expectations to a minimum 7 out of 10. MJC Expand
  45. Jan 1, 2014
    This has to be one of the worst films that I have seen in a long time. Not even the presence of Sandra Bullock and George Clooney made this film work for me. No character development. Too many bad luck scenarios to make the film remotely believable. Absolutely amazing cinematography but a story line that was weaker than the tea at an all night diner. Sappy elements thrown in to make you feel more connected but it was like throwing tomatoes at a wall. Sorry but I did not connect to any of the characters. Oscar worthy? I have to call BS. Simple survival story in space? Get a grip. Poorly written, good visuals. Feels like it was written under pressure. Sorry but I do not recommed this film at all. Expand
  46. Jan 14, 2014
    This film has no story line, no action, no, well, anything worth watching a film for really. The acting might be okay and the visuals etc, but it is just way too boring. Very overrated.
  47. Jan 26, 2014
    I spent money on this movie and it was a waste of my time. I saw the trailer before I went and saw the movie and at the end over the movie I was very disappointed because the trailer made it look good but the trailer was the whole movie. I tell all of my friends to watch the trailer and that's the movie. This movie was a waste of time and money. I have no idea why everyone liked it so much but I guess it was because everyone these days are stupid and can't think about anything but the simplest things that that go on. I say to the people who made this movie go and watch an episode of doctor who and then look at this movie. I am saying you guys suck and British people are so much better. Go take a lesson from Steven Moffat because he knows how to write an amazing story line and keep it going and make it better as it goes on. I will never watch a movie that is made by you and I will tell all of my friends the same thing I told them about Gravity that it sucked and is waste of time and money and no one in their right mind should go see it. Before I go might i just add that the acting sucked as well I hated that actors that you got they absolutely sucked and should never act again. Expand
  48. Feb 9, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Very boring movie. I was falling asleep. She should have died and at least we'd grieved a tiny bit. Other than awesome visuals, the movie lacks so much. We never did attach to the character because she was so pathetic. The story is empty and void of spiritual dimension. When Matt showed up again was the best scene but it was all a dream??? Expand
  49. Mar 1, 2014
    It was like having diarrhea. Worst movie I have watched in my whole life. You didn't feel an emotional connection with the characters. The logic was heavily flawed. Very cringe worthy. The visuals was good, but not good enough to justify for everything else. And Ryan(Sandra Bullock) was mentally retarded.
  50. May 26, 2014
    Probably the worst movie I've ever seen. It was so boring and horrible acting. I honestly just wanted them to die the entire time, that's how bad this movie was.
  51. Nov 14, 2013
    A rather incredible film in all honesty. A wonderful balance of persistent tension and sudden shock, coupled with constantly breathtaking visuals, Gravity would be the perfect film but for the rather cheesy, Buzz Lightyear-type peformance from Clooney.
  52. Jun 3, 2014
    This main girl character must be the dumbest and most stupidest human ever sent to space. If this is the best and brightest what NASA can muster then we are all doomed.
    Should i say that she is irritating as ****
  53. Nov 19, 2013
    Amazing to look at, and one of the most (if not the most) suspenseful films I've ever seen. It's truly "edge-of-your-seat" entertainment. Unfortunately, lines like "No one's going to pray for my soul....I've never prayed. No one ever taught me how. No one ever taught me how" (and there are a few) take away from the experience. You can't tell me that a film with basically one actor doesn't need strong dialogue. Expand
  54. Nov 3, 2013
    The most over rated film since "Argo". This film is mediocre at best and I didn't care about Bulloch or Clooney. It is a one dimensional film that I cannot for the life of me understand why we have a 95 rating. Maybe somebody got paid off by the industry. Well, at least there were no aliens in it.
  55. Oct 8, 2013
    Sandra Bullock and George Clooney are 2 astronauts who struggle for their lives when their space walk is shattered. The cast is small and the plot is simple, but this film packs a colossal wallop. The groundbreaking effects are truly spectacular (in every sense of the word). Director Alfonso Cuarón has created a dazzling cinematic masterpiece with gripping suspense that never lets up. Even with the amazing spectacle of outer space, he and Bullock create an intimate, emotional roller coaster ride. This is a filmmaking at its best. Don't miss it! Expand
  56. Oct 7, 2013
    This movie is all about the visuals. Be sure you see it in 3D. Sandra Bullock is excellent, although somewhat panicky for a highly trained astronaut. Even at the beginning before disaster strikes she is having a panic attack. The astronaut played by Clooney is a stereotype you've seen before, but it doesn't matter as Sandra Bullock is the main focus. You will be asking yourself how they are doing the special effects all throughout the film because it looks so real. I was on the edge of me seat the entire time. Expand
  57. Nov 9, 2013
    There is a reason this movie is averaging 96 in Critic Scores and 8.3 in User Scores; It's is a cinematic masterpiece.

I will accept any scores in the range of 7-10 as being reasonable, anything in the green basically, but anyone that is scoring this film lower than a 7 and especially those people giving it 0, 1, 2, 3 etc are just being ridiculous and really shouldn't be allowed to post
    reviews and ratings in my opinion.

Trust me; this is a film that everyone who enjoys cinema should go and see and if it turns out you don't enjoy this film then trust me, you probably need to have a serious think about how you look at the world and interpret things in it because your take on reality is seriously distorted.

It's not "perfect" but I can't really find any genuinely good reason I'd drop it a full point that I'd feel right about, and certainly not just to appease those types of people who think "no film is 'perfect' so no film should score a 10" or whatever, so I might as well give it 10 because to me in this case I think it's basically earned it and to be totally honest, I'd also like to see that average User Score just a little higher too.

This film is brilliant and thank God the majority of people are smart enough to actually understand why and acknowledge it's greatness.
  58. Oct 14, 2013
    The film is an outstanding success on many levels. The cinematography is phenomenal. You can't help but be deeply immersed in what''s happening. The debris look as if they are coming directly at you. You can feel the desperation in Sandra Bullock's character. This intense feeling wouldn't have been possible if not for the cinematography, as well as Alfonso Cuarón's masterful directing.

Then there's the acting. George Clooney gives a great performance, but it's Sandra Bullock that truly shines. She gives what is perhaps the most brilliant performance of her career as Dr. Ryan Stone, a woman who lost her daughter in a schoolyard accident, tries to commit suicide amid the hopelessness of her situation, then, in the face of inevitable death, finds the will to survive and live. She deserves, at least, an Oscar nomination for this role.

However, i believe that if a movie is to be considered a classic, like this one is currently being hailed as, It needs to stick in your head for many years after viewing it. And for that, it needs to have many things. One of them, like memorable visuals, the movie does have in spades.

But it doesn't make you see the world in a different light. The movie is about hope, and yet it's message doesn't sink in like in other films with similar subject matter, such as The Shawshank Redemption. It isn't thought-provoking. Dr. Ryan Stone feels underdeveloped. Only Sandra Bullock's exceptional performance breathes life into that bland character, and that bland character is a result of poor dialogue and way-too-simple plot. The score isn't that good as well.

Overall, i really really liked this film. It's technically fantastic. Sandra Bullock is awesome. But you need more than that to create a classic. A little bit overrated.
  59. Oct 27, 2013
    Disappointing. Yes, it is a fanstatic traveloge of outer space and great VFX but it does not have story. The only choices the main character makes is to do this or die, or do something or die. Those are not choices those are what we all would do in the same situation. Does the main character go through a change because of the experience... maybe... but that reallt isn't in the movie. Rent it and ignore the critic reviews. I can't believe no critic gave it a yellow. Expand
  60. Oct 9, 2013
    This is one of the most visceral, heart-pounding, and, at times, achingly-beautiful movies I've ever seen. It's entirely an superficial experience, and that's ok. However, anyone who compares this to the genius of 2001, apart from its obvious setting, is really stretching. This is not an adult movie, but a movie for the kid in adults and appeals to your base instinks like no other.

That said, the story and dialogue is a bit of a cheesefest, obviously dumbed down for a mass, international market. There were a few exceedingly cringe-worthy moments of banter and individual parlance where I and audience members audibly groaned. The movie would have been a ten if all dialogue was removed.
  61. Nov 25, 2013
    If *anything* goes wrong in space... ANYTHING? You are doomed. This story is so realistically filmed that I left the theater thinking, "we will never send a man to mars..." Wish they'd added a bit more backstory on all of the astronauts, but otherwise loved it.
  62. Oct 23, 2013
    This is definitely a decent movie and keeps you interested, but I really don't get the insane hype and feedback. Even someone at work was like "that was one of the best movies I've ever seen!". I watched it with 2 other people and we were all like, ok just another decent movie, on with our day. Yeah it's pretty good, but not even close to what the hype seems to indicate.
  63. Jan 27, 2014
    I didn't watch this movie in an Imax theatre, so maybe the "ahh" factor what might be the reason that people are giving this movie such ludicrous high ratings all over the board eludes me, but in my opinion it's an aggravatingly bad movie.
    The visuals are great, everything looks fantastic, but that's it.
    This movie screams "preposterous". it pretends, in an arrogant way, to be a
    realistic "current time" sci-fi movie/drama, but it crashes and burns with monstrous factual errors. after the fourth physics-defying scene i couldn't watch it anymore.
    Probably a great movie if you can suspend your disbelief, but the pretence of this movie is you don't.
  64. Oct 6, 2013
    I'm going to lead by saying that this movie is fantastic, unique, and totally worth your time. However, despite its meager 90 minute length, it was getting stale by the end. You can only put a person's life in danger so many times before it starts feeling scripted. But seriously, Gravity is just phenomenal. I never once noticed an unrealistic zero-gravity scene. In fact, I was surprised multiple times by the detail given to the anti-gravity effects. And the camera work! I swear there was a scene that lasted almost ten minutes without a cut! In short, the movie starts out stellar, stays there a while, then slowly declines. Expand
  65. Oct 5, 2013
    A good movie. Not quite the instant classic the reviews would have you believe, but definitely worth seeing. The camera work was definitely some of the best I've seen in a movie in a long time. It definitely conveyed the senses of claustrophobia mixed with vast emptiness and the sheer hopelessness of the situation quite well. The "first person" cuts scattered through out the movie were also done exceptionally well, when they could have been very jarring and removing. A++ for the direction and cinematography. B- for the story. A- for the acting. Expand
  66. Oct 11, 2013
    This is a really great movie, very intense and emotional throughout the entire movie. The acting is spot on from everyone, and the visuals are very stunning. My only complaint is that the movie is on the short side. Anyone who likes thrillers will love this movie. Anyone interested in space will probably lose their desire to go to space.
  67. Oct 26, 2013
    I just don't get why everyone has a hard on for this movie. There are no interesting characters, Sandra Bullock is about as boring as an astronaut can get, not to mention her complete inability to handle a situation. Her performance is lack luster to say the least, I guess "oscar winning" performances can go to people screaming and gasping fro breath for 60 minutes. The only real person that has any value in the movie is Clooney who is also non existent throughout the film. The only thing I praise about this movie is the CGI, there isn't really anything else satisfying about this movie. Expand
  68. Orw
    Oct 13, 2013
    Saw it yesterday in 3D. It is trully one the most wonderful movies i've seen in my life. And not only because of its astonishing visual landscapes, but also because it has a moving story and two great performances by Sandra Bullock and George Clooney. It was a trip, and only the best kind of movies give you that feeling. Congratulations to Alfonso Cuaron and his co-writers. Gravity is Brilliant.
  69. Mar 24, 2014
    I'm terribly sorry. Was I supposed to like this film? The CGI was very nice but plllleeeaaase! The plot was so banal it could have been written by a 9 year old ... or a movie industry executive (same thing). Visually this film is a 9 but the rest of it is a 2. See it and then forget it as quickly as you can and go watch 2001 again. Gravity has rating of O for OVERRATED.
  70. Oct 10, 2013
    Gravity is an incredible film. Absolutely incredible. Peerless in direction, Gravity features career defining performances from Bullock and Clooney, absolutely stunning, top-notch special effects and incredibly effective drama that brings this seemingly simplistic idea and narrative to life. But above all, Gravity is the most fantastic space movie ever made.

Gravity is filled with
    visual splendor, and packed with layers of metaphor and meaning (much of which I am still debating with colleagues on)! I haven't come out of a film for a long while equally blown away and perplexed, in a good way of course. I love films that are appreciable by both audiences: those looking for entertainment (Which they will receive in spades), and those looking for a film that transcends being a film in the sleekest of ways. Other elements of the film are peerless; the cinematography is beautiful, the minimalist score is effective, and the sound design is perfected.

It's hard to describe my feelings towards Gravity without abusing my "positive adjective" collection, but I'll just say the Gravity is pretty darned close to perfect. It's original, intense and very entertaining. It's also highly re-watchable with a purpose; it's packed with genius and beauty.

This is one perilous journey I personally want to experience over and over, deciphering it's layers and themes. It will forever stick in my memory. A one of a kind, incredibly exceptional experience.

Side note: 3D usage transcends Avatar and my personal favorite of the summer Pacific Rim. It's essential to the experience, and proves to be one of the finest in-theater experiences ever.
  71. Mar 5, 2014
    There's a better "g"-word to describe this movie--Garbage. I rented this last night and was incredibly disappointed. This is oscar-worthy? Dallas Buyers Club, absolutely. Her, definitely. But Sandra Bullock fumbling around in space for 90 minutes with a George Clooney voiceover? It doesn't work. It's not interesting, it's not gripping, and it doesn't translate to anyone who hasn't been in space, which is probably about 99.99% of the human population. Apollo 13 did it MUCH better, so if you're dying to see a good **** happens, even in space" flick, go for that instead.

And lemme tell ya. With all that open space out there around Earth, the Hubble Space Telescope, ISS, & Chinese station sure seem very close together….If you can float from one to the other using a can of hairspray as your propellant and NOT run out of air…I'm calling BS. A big can of BS.

In summary, the acting is trash. The script is pompous. And the story is a yawner. Read some of the other negative reviews so at least you're informed if you choose to watch it.
  72. Nov 10, 2013
    Completely blown away, best movie of the year in my opinion.

Technically flawless with masterful pacing and perfect performances, not to mention haunting sound editing, it's all there and more.

For 90 minutes, which felt like a lifetime because of intense and packed the movie was, you feel like you're in space, struggling for survival against all odds. How often does a movie achieve
    something like that? Expand
  73. Oct 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. When I saw a 95 score I said wow! When I SAW the movie I said bow-wow! I am resigned to the fact the only movies being made are special effects, chick flicks and teen hormones gone wild. When you step back and assess what you saw you realize it was a well done National Geographic special with pretenders(actors) No outstanding performances., no imaginative plot. A couple of government space wanderers get in "over" their heads and through the miracle of movies, one survives. The only thing that bothers me more than the $13 we paid was the MILLIONS Clooney and Bullock "accepted" to basically play space puppets. SHAME on them and me for giving them my Expand
  74. Nov 23, 2013
    Is gravity a good movie? Yes.
    Does gravity deserve a 8/9/10? No.
    Don't get me wrong. The 3D is good with stuff shooting out at you. The weightlessness or, ahem, lack of gravity is well done. But there are far too many scenes where the characters are just talking to each other for what seems like eternity.
  75. Oct 9, 2013
    Few movies manages to resist the urge to simply go a big and load as possible to add dramatic effect; Gravity is a master at doing a lot with as little as possible. From the eerie sounds of being in space to the disorientation of spinning out of control, the atmosphere in Gravity is everything. As someone who is skeptical of 3-D, this is one movie where it really does add much to the experience and left me feeling that it is best seen as such. There are some cheesy scenes, courtesy of George Clooney, but they do much to add levity to what Sandra Bullock shows as a traumatic and horrifying scenario. All in all, Gravity left me with some of the most memorable and intense scenes I've seen in a movie while doing so little. Expand
  76. Jan 18, 2014
    Gravity is the best movie in years with its brilliant cinematography, terrific score and an ending that is one of a kind. No movie since Avatar has created astonishing visuals that transform a movie into a stunning work of art. Alonso Cuaron has created a cinematic masterpiece that sets a new standard in visual effects.
  77. Oct 8, 2013
    This movie is undoubtedly gripping, intense, and exciting, but it is not what I would consider a great movie. The plot is rather limited, and even though the movie has absolutely stunning special effects that cannot change the fact that it lacks much of the plot that I like in movies.

Pros:
    Incredible effects, every scene is memorable.
    You'll be on the edge of your seat the entire
    movie.

Cons:
    Story is rather sparse.
    Some plot points make no sense in scientific context. (minor)
  78. Nov 14, 2013
    Gravity is by far the best movie I have seen in years. The special effects ate awesome, the suspense is killer, and the action leaves you stunned. Gravity will earn several Oscars, at least in special effects. And if you do see it, make sure it's in 3D, otherwise you won't enjoy it nearly as much.
  79. Oct 26, 2013
    Incredible special effects including what was done to Bulloch's body. Watch on IMAX 3-D. Everything else in the movie was ridiculous. This is not a science fiction movie but a summer action blockbuster.
  80. Oct 16, 2013
    It is movie made to be enjoyed. And that's all you really get. Pure, extraordinary, exquisite, pop entertainment. "Gravity" is more like industry statement and a proof that by combining advanced technology and a decent, smart story and script (shown to work very well a lot of times before), Hollywood can still make movies that excite us.
  81. Oct 28, 2013
    I'm very disappointed that Metacritic rated this 96? No, not even close! This does not rate up there with the best ever SiFi or space movies ever and that's what 96 infers. There can only be so much drama and thrill building one woman in a space suit can have for 90 minutes and this starts to get old quickly. Worth seeing but nowhere near 96 rating!! Come on Metacritic your better than that?
  82. lcb
    Oct 11, 2013
    I saw this movie in 3D Imax and on the basis of that, I give it a high rating. Had I seen it in a regular format it would not be as high. It is a beautifully shot movie and the special effects are amazing. It is Bullock's movie and she gives a bravura performance. Read a lot of the negative comments about the movie and am amused at how critical they are regarding its realism or lack of it. Unless they are astronauts, specialists in space engineering or travel, how would they know about its realism and believe-ability? Also, I don't care if they felt Bullock's character appeared weak. Since when do all female characters in movies need to be super heroes. They seem to forget that the Clooney character was an experienced astronaut and she was not. It was her vulnerability and personal story that made her character interesting. I do agree that the plot was simple and I did not find it as thrilling as some did. I doubt that I would have payed the money to see it on a regular screen--just waited for it on subscription TV. I am not a big 3D fan and seldom pay extra to see one, but this was 3D used effectively and was well worth the admission price. Expand
  83. Nov 22, 2013
    a great movie, it sucks you in and keeps you watching for sure. It starts off a little slow at first but the movie flies without you realizing how long it has been playing. Excellent cinematic display and a truly original film. It is nice to have something different from the mediocre trend of movies lately.
  84. Oct 6, 2013
    Alfonso Cuaron continues his exhibition of extraordinary cinematography in this tale of one of the most frightening situations imaginable. Alongside: Bullock's acting is phenomenal, and George Clooney provides some much needed comic relief. Overall, a fantastic piece of cinema and a taste of what is to come for film.
  85. Oct 18, 2013
    It will pull you in, even if you aren't the type to typically get 'in' to movies. A huge part of it is the amazing sound design/music (they run together to form a single audio singularity), which is filled with a lot less 'tell me how to feel' and a lot more primal sounds that more directly influence your feelings. Go. And see it in 3D!
  86. Mar 6, 2014
    A pathetic joke ! + Very good photography, + Very good special effects, + It moves a little for a film in space, + Clooney and Bulloc if you are fans, That's all ! ... +/- Many Oscars, Golden Globes or César ? - No history, - Many physical inconsistencies - No morals or mental reflection, - Pathetic story of sandra Bulloc If we compare with "LOVE" Space time William Eubank (2011)
    No Newtonian physics problem, No Stars, but a wonderfull movie, a little jewel. and he receive No Oscars, Golden Globes or César ...

Morality : To Have an Oscar is a pathetic Joke !
  87. Oct 5, 2013
    This was an intense movie right out the gate with the opening shot. The visuals were spectacular! It is a very compelling performance by Sandra Bullock. Although George Clooney was just being George.
    It deserves all the accolades it getting. The director, Alfonso Cuaron, is a true visionary!
  88. Nov 15, 2013
    The cinematography is magnificent, the movie certainly has tension, Sandra Bullock does some nice body yoga for the men in the audience but honestly, I found myself caught between boredom and panic, fully knowing what would happen in the end yet spooked by outer space. The hallucination scene with George Clooney was my favorite moment. I'm glad I saw it, but wouldn't see it again.
  89. Nov 16, 2013
    Brilliant movie! Visually stunning, with a storyline that has only two characters, and takes us on a roller coaster ride of suspense for the full length of the running time gets my vote for best movie of the year. Some minor problems with dialogue and character studies, but when I am so fully engaged in the movie that I feel like I am there with the actors, allows me to be forgiving of the flaws.

After I left the theater and drove home I could not put on music or talk radio, I needed let the movie stay in my thoughts, uninterrupted, for a while. Another sign of a great movie.
  90. Nov 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. How can people that live as movie critics give average 96 ?
    Its a good movie and the meaning of it is really nice.
    But its not that good at all, i don't see anything worthy a 96 score in this movie, nothing.
    Its a really nice story about her daughter and that but i mean, a masterpiece 96 score? No.
  91. Oct 9, 2013
    There was an article in the LA Times asking if it was the best space movie ever. Let's pause a sec. I know in this day and age we like to say how everything is the best ever but to compare this to 2001 or Star Wars is a bit ridiculous. It does not have the weight (pardon the pun). It is pretty good and quite enjoyable but it is not overly memorable. Some of the devices stretch credibility as well as the ways the problems are solved. Overall a good movie but let's hold back on the accolades a bit. Expand
  92. Feb 3, 2014
    "Gravity" is an absolutely magnificent directorial work from Alfonso Cuaron, featuring quite possibly the best performance Sandra Bullock has given in her career, some impossibly superb imagery, and an indelible score.
  93. Apr 14, 2014
    Let me just start out by saying that I am completely baffled by the 96/100 critic score that this got. Either the critics were stoned (like the composer for the movie was) when they watched this, or they were paid. Seriously though, for 75% of the film you're ears are stuck listening to the same 5 second loop of a terrible piece of "music"(?) being pounded into your brain while watching Sandra Bullock being catapulted around space. That's pretty much the entire film for you. There, I saved you the rental money. Expand
  94. May 21, 2014
    Gravity isnt a bad film, it isnt exactly good either... it is, however, very, very overated..only good point is that the visuals are stunning.........
  95. Nov 17, 2013
    Brilliant and innovative special visual effects are the main reason to see this intermittently gripping movie set in space. First rate production design and cinematography, along with great sound and an appropriate score complete a high quality technical package. The story, though, is minimal to say the least. Still, see it for the visuals and if possible in IMAX 3D. My only wish is that I had liked it more. Expand
  96. Feb 19, 2014
    I think is the time I've been more disappointed with a films. I only go to the cinema about once per year, because of the price and the poor quality of the films, having seen the reveiws of Gravity I decided to spend about 22 pounds to see with my wife a 3D version of this films...well, I fell asleep after 25 minutes, the films is SO TEDIOUS, I couldn't stand it! the visuals are Ok, but to be fare, I was impress at any moment for anything about them...

Seriously I think is the most overrated films ever!!!!

By the way, the films is full of cliches, the character of clooney is something quite pathetic...
  97. Apr 14, 2014
    The visuals alone are so stunning and gorgeous (10 out of 10) and they make me give the film an 8. I don´t even know how they made it. It´s real, it´s tense and it´s a crazy journey that should be epic in all fronts. But on the other hand I have some problems with it. The script/story is weak. There´s not much more to enjoy than the visuals. Let´s just say the story itself is average. The most important thing in a film will always be the script , character development and the acting. No matter how good the rest of the things are, a film can´t get a 9 or 10 if it lacks (even if it´s on purpose, like probably in this case) a great script. That´s why I "only" give it an 8. The acting from Sandra Bullock surprised me. I have never appreciated her work, I don´t consider her one of the best actresses at all. But I have to admit she was very solid, great performance. Despite everything, it is a must see and it´s not long. You won´t regret watching it. It´s a fantastic adventure. Expand
  98. Oct 5, 2013
    Spectacular visuals...almost no need for depth in story. Won't be seen as anything revolutionary in 20 years. I can imagine how it would be in IMAX. Don't see it on a full stomach.
  99. Oct 9, 2013
    Great movie. The cinematography was just out of this world... pardon the pun. The sound and music was captivating and it had the best actor credits I have ever seen. Hate the name though, it should be called lack of gravity. Calling it gravity is misleading and suggests the writer wasn't bright enough to research a better name.
  100. Oct 8, 2013
    The only thing that holds this film back from being truly perfect are the limitations that are created by the fact that the characters are in space. Sandra Bullock and George Clooney both do a solid job, particularly Bullock, and Cuaron will certainly blow your mind with his camera movement and directorial choices. This is the most visually spectacular movie I've seen since...well, since I can't remember when. This might be the best looking film I've ever seen. My friend and I raved for 30 minutes about the visual after we saw it, non stop. While there are a few cheesy lines and some of the plot is relegated to exposition, I can't see anyone disliking this film. Expand

1. Reviewed by: James Mottram
    Nov 3, 2013
    A stunning space saga that takes off for new technical frontiers without leaving its humanity behind.
  2. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Oct 6, 2013
    Gravity is not a film of ideas, like Kubrick's techno-mystical "2001," but it's an overwhelming physical experience -- a challenge to the senses that engages every kind of dread. [7 Oct. 2013, p.88]
  3. Reviewed by: Dana Stevens
    Oct 4, 2013
    This is not to say that Gravity is a masterpiece: Unlike Cuarón’s extraordinary "Children of Men", it doesn’t quite pull off its ambitious effort to combine formal inventiveness, heart-pounding action, and intimate human storytelling. But it succeeds thrillingly at the first two of those categories, and only misses the mark on the last because it tries a little too hard — which is certainly a welcome respite from the countless sci-fi thrillers that privilege the human story not at all.