Gravity

7.8

1. Dec 22, 2014
    Gravity teaches kids not to be astronauts,Ahhaha Joke.Gravity Is just stunning especially 3D !The Movie is terrifying in some ways is because you feel you're they're struggling to survive!!
  2. Oct 4, 2013
    While not everything in the movie may be 100% realistic (you don't take off your spacesuit like it's your pajamas), but apart from those minor quirks, this movie is an absolute sight to behold. The cinematography is fantastic, the acting superb, and the movie remains interesting for the whole duration. Obligatory watching for anyone who remotely likes movies.
  3. Oct 5, 2013
    Gravity is an amazing movie. It's also the tensest film I've ever seen, and movies rarely ever make me tense. I'm almost certain Sandra Bullock will win an Oscar. If it doesn't win the visual effects Oscar I'd also be very surprised about that. I do have some caveats however. The story felt too minimalistic for me. It's basically a survival tale set in space. There's nothing wrongGravity is an amazing movie. It's also the tensest film I've ever seen, and movies rarely ever make me tense. I'm almost certain Sandra Bullock will win an Oscar. If it doesn't win the visual effects Oscar I'd also be very surprised about that. I do have some caveats however. The story felt too minimalistic for me. It's basically a survival tale set in space. There's nothing wrong with that but just think of what could have been. Despite these problems the movie is so tense, so atmospheric, and so visually impressive that it would be crazy to not catch it in theatres. I'd place it up there with Avatar, District 9, and Inception. Expand
  4. Feb 25, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. How the hell did this movie get such high marks? It is a true representation of many things wrong with stupid people in America (and elsewhere too I suppose). Nothing is believable in this movie, starting with putting a mentally unstable, traumatized nitwit in space after a mere 6 mos of training....really? I don't want to hear BS about metaphors and symbolism....barf...any good movie has that, but they have to fit the story. You don't hear noises in space (I did in Gravity). She just mashes buttons in Chinese and Russian...OMG stupid....

You know what. F&^k it, I'm not even gonna repeat the stupid premise or nitpick the bold disobeying of basic science in this movie. If you're too stupid to know, then you're gonna love this movie no matter what I say. It just utterly fails to ground itself in any resemblance of reality or physics. Strong marks for cinematography and CGI, but it's wasted on this pointless plot and horrible dialog.

A truly jarring movie would have been if she died alone in space slowly and helplessly, **** and pissing herself, because that is what would/should have happened. I guess all you need is a fire extinguisher to navigate space. I give this movie a 5, but rating it zero to make up for the overhyped 10s. Please don't let any acting Oscars go to this movie. Special effects or visuals maybe.

BTW the score was annoying as hell....and 75% of the time there should have been NONE. I was trying to experience the silence of space....luckily Clooney died and shut up eventually (only to come back in a dream...sigh)....just a crap movie. The suspension of disbelief is too much to ask for anyone with half a brain.
  5. Oct 15, 2013
    The cinematography and effects were astounding, and Sandra Bullock does a great job in her role. The more action-like scenes were gripping, and you just can't help but feel fear for the character's that you just met. The director did a great job not forcing suspense, but creating it quite naturally.
  6. Nov 30, 2013
    I'm sorry to say that overall this movie was a great disappointment with no real charm apart the residual left over from George Clooney's performance. A generic and implausible set of events wrapped up in amazing visuals, sound familiar?
  7. Nov 10, 2013
    Visually stunning film with composition that is absolutely clean and elegant; everything comes together in this film to form a perfect creation that will stay with me for along time. Took a while to come off all the emotions it created. One of the best films I have seen in a very very long time.
  8. Nov 13, 2013
    The movie "Gravity" is the sad indictment of current film critics such as Claudia Winkleman & her BBC co presenter Danny Leigh,the hype for this film has been extraordinarily over generous, this small engaging space saga tries to show that women can do what is usually depicted by Hollywood as a mans job...for the life of me i could not see why fellow astronaut Matt (George Clooney)The movie "Gravity" is the sad indictment of current film critics such as Claudia Winkleman & her BBC co presenter Danny Leigh,the hype for this film has been extraordinarily over generous, this small engaging space saga tries to show that women can do what is usually depicted by Hollywood as a mans job...for the life of me i could not see why fellow astronaut Matt (George Clooney) was so much in a hurry to cut himself free from his co star & become just another piece of floating space junk,i found Sandra Bullocks expertise sadly lacking, not least by her rather amateur attempt at fixing a .malfunctioned circuit board attached to the Hubble Iam sure NASA would not have sent someone into space who had failed miserably to learn the docking & unlocking procedures that might be just needed on such a perilous mission, that said Bullocks role was well acted but.. certainly not Oscar material... Clooneys role for what is was could have frankly been played by any actor,special affects were very good but have been bettered, I found there were hints of the Signora Weavers character Ripely in the far superior "Alien" movie but lets not even go there..,nonetheless not a bad try... but keep your expectations to a minimum 7 out of 10. MJC Expand
  9. CMC
    Oct 12, 2013
    All of the 4 and 5 ranked reviews are accurate: Great CG and 3-D, dumb story, no character development, completely unedifying. I have come to mistrust metacritic user reviews, and it seems there are fake reviews for this move, but I have never seen such a mismatch between critic reviews and and the high metascore as this. So far off! This is what really gets me: the gap between the slowAll of the 4 and 5 ranked reviews are accurate: Great CG and 3-D, dumb story, no character development, completely unedifying. I have come to mistrust metacritic user reviews, and it seems there are fake reviews for this move, but I have never seen such a mismatch between critic reviews and and the high metascore as this. So far off! This is what really gets me: the gap between the slow and quiet times in space, and the complete lack of any psychological development. Sure it is a problem to get to know a character when they have a glass bubble on their head. But Malick or Kubrick could have done almost the same film, same shots and events, and it would have been moving and disturbing. This is indeed a popcorn movie and nothing more. Expand
  10. Oct 4, 2013
    Gripping. Almost like a two-person play. Effects are just incredible; it looks and feels like it was shot on location in space. Plus, there's a nice little smile near the beginning as a familiar voice graces another space epic. Highly, highly recommended. See it in IMAX 3D if you can.
  11. Oct 4, 2013
    A beautiful and also terrifying look into the vast and majestic Universe beyond the safety of our world. A fantastic movie, that executed every aspect almost flawlessly. Actually, it wasn't just a movie, it was experience. Cinematography was absolutely astonishing, soundtrack was beautiful, acting was fantastic, and the visuals... The visuals were one of the best I've ever seen. DirectorA beautiful and also terrifying look into the vast and majestic Universe beyond the safety of our world. A fantastic movie, that executed every aspect almost flawlessly. Actually, it wasn't just a movie, it was experience. Cinematography was absolutely astonishing, soundtrack was beautiful, acting was fantastic, and the visuals... The visuals were one of the best I've ever seen. Director Alfonso Cuarón outdone himself once again.
    I cannot recommend this enough, for every thriller, drama or scifi fan, this movie is a must watch.
  12. Oct 11, 2013
    If you are seeing this movie, you MUST see it in IMAX 3D if possible. This is one of the handful of movies that must be seen in 3D.

When I first saw a previews for this movie, I was so sure it would be bad. I have never been more wrong about a film in my life. Everything about this movie is phenomenal. The acting is Oscar worthy, the sound design is flawless, and the visuals are spectacular. Gravity has a fairly simple story, but that is clearly by design. The character that Sandra Bullock plays appears relatively shallow, but in reality is so deep, SHE is the story. Especially in 3D, the movie pulls the viewer into the character, almost literally, and never lets go. You feel every emotion the character feels, including the absolute dread when you know something bad is going to happen. Your heart and mind alike race when the terrifying situations come about. I have to warn though, that if you suffer from any sort of anxiety, you might want to think twice about seeing this movie. I saw this with my wife, who has anxiety, and while she absolutely loved the movie, it was too much to handle at some points. This is not a film for the feint of heart. Either way, this movie will definitely be getting Oscar nominations. This is a must see film. Do yourself a favor though, and splurge on the IMAX 3D. You won't regret it.
  13. Oct 4, 2013
    “Gravity” is a film that must first be seen on a 3D movie theatre screen and even better if it is an IMAX screen! What director Alfonso Cuaron and his production crew, partially consisting of director of photography Emmanuel Lubezki, editors Alfonso Cuaron and Mark Sanger along with production designer Andy Nicholson, special effects supervisors Neil Corbould and Manex Efrem, visual“Gravity” is a film that must first be seen on a 3D movie theatre screen and even better if it is an IMAX screen! What director Alfonso Cuaron and his production crew, partially consisting of director of photography Emmanuel Lubezki, editors Alfonso Cuaron and Mark Sanger along with production designer Andy Nicholson, special effects supervisors Neil Corbould and Manex Efrem, visual effects supervisor Tom Webber, have done in this film are things you have never seen in a movie before and the recurring thought running through your mind, if not said out loud, is “How did they do that?”

There is a screenplay by Alfonso and Jonas Cuaron while actors Sandra Bullock and George Clooney are the leads but their star power doesn’t stand a chance against a teardrop floating off of the screen. What is basically a two hander turns into a performance of Bullock competing against space and charismatic Clooney is probably one of the very few actors who could pull off one of his later scenes.

There have been many space travel, sci-fi, astronaut movies and variations of all, but there has never been a movie like “Gravity” that takes you from minutes of absolute silence where you imagine you hear things to a terrifying sequence where space debris is hurled at scientist Ryan Stone (Bullock) and mission commander Matt Kowalski (Clooney) and you see and hear the consequences.

Hundreds of miles from earth we see space up close, from a distance, through the eyes of a face in a helmet to the couple seeming to dance in slow motion against the stars and the sky. To tell you anything about the movie, from a pen floating in a spaceship to Matt commenting on how beautiful the sun coming up on the horizon is, would all just have to be marked with big SPOILERS.

“Gravity” isn’t an emotional involving movie but you will sit in awe and wonder as it engages the brain. This film defines the magic of movies and has taken it further tech wise than ever done before. You will want to see it again and again to figure out how scenes were done and that’s what the DVD will be for but you have to see it on the big 3D screen first.
  14. Oct 16, 2013
    One of the best movies I've ever seen! Non stop intensity throughout the whole film! With 3D it felt like I was actually there with them. The visual effects and cinematography are some of the best I've seen. Will be really upset if this doesn't win some awards at the Oscars this upcoming year.
  15. Oct 4, 2013
    Honestly, this was the best movie I've seen in a very very long time. Gravity is easily the most beautiful and realistically terrifying movie out there. From the very beginning until a few minutes after the credits began to roll, I found my self on the edge of my seat clinging desperately to my chair as if I were holding on for dear life. The film making was superb, the acting wasHonestly, this was the best movie I've seen in a very very long time. Gravity is easily the most beautiful and realistically terrifying movie out there. From the very beginning until a few minutes after the credits began to roll, I found my self on the edge of my seat clinging desperately to my chair as if I were holding on for dear life. The film making was superb, the acting was brilliant, and the visuals were every bit out of this world. Gravity is a masterpiece, plain and simple. Expand
  16. Oct 6, 2013
    Welcome back 40 years into the past where blacks say "yassir boss" and women are emotional wrecks.. Bullock's character is fraught with frantic emotionalism that prevents her from rational and intelligent thought and actions. The concept of a limited air supply does not compute to her. She is like the drunk driver that gets into an accident, kills four people, but she survives. It's likeWelcome back 40 years into the past where blacks say "yassir boss" and women are emotional wrecks.. Bullock's character is fraught with frantic emotionalism that prevents her from rational and intelligent thought and actions. The concept of a limited air supply does not compute to her. She is like the drunk driver that gets into an accident, kills four people, but she survives. It's like she was a secretary that knows satellite uplinking and got drafted into this job by default. A total setback for women's rights and the stereotypical way men view them.... and I love Bullock and yes, I am a big fan of Clooney too. This movie is all visual and is almost a shameless remake or takeoff of "Open Water". Expand
  17. Oct 14, 2013
    Gravity is a difficult movie to recommend or to discourage others away from. As a movie-going experience it is certainly something to behold. The visuals, as you have almost undoubtably heard by now, are stunning. This is largely due to the use of very well-done 3D that was not slapped on as a money-making afterthought. It is truly a beautiful movie.

As an entire film, however, I

As an entire film, however, I cannot say I enjoyed it. The plot was limited, the characters were thing, and, worst of all, the dialogue was unforgivably bad. Loaded with cheesey, corny, and schmaltzy lines, it served only to pull you out of the movie and make you roll your eyes. This may not be a deal breaker for everyone, but for me it was unbearable. Keep in mind that there isn't an awful lot of dialogue given the "plot" and the events in the movie, but this only means that what dialogue there is holds that much more weight.

So, if you are looking for a theatre experience, see this movie in 3D just for sake of not missing an impressive technical feat. If you are looking for a solid movie in terms of script and story, I can't recommend it. If you absolutely will not see movies in 3D and wish only to see the 2D version, I similarly can not recommend you drop the $10 per ticket. Wait to be underwhelmed at home on Netflix or Redbox DVD.
  18. Oct 5, 2013
    This memorizing and thrilling sci-fi extravaganza is the perfect example of what pure movie magic is all about. From its captivating cinematography, to its superb acting, riveting production design, and exceptional use of 3D, Gravity is a terrifyingly accurate portrayal of lifelessness in the outer reaches of space and the sheer determination and struggle to grasp onto hope in the mostThis memorizing and thrilling sci-fi extravaganza is the perfect example of what pure movie magic is all about. From its captivating cinematography, to its superb acting, riveting production design, and exceptional use of 3D, Gravity is a terrifyingly accurate portrayal of lifelessness in the outer reaches of space and the sheer determination and struggle to grasp onto hope in the most hopeless, and virtually most helpless of scenarios. Being quite arguably one of the most remarkable outings in the history of film, Gravity cements itself as being an achievement in almost every aspect of both its genre and filmmaking in general. There is no doubt in my mind that Gravity is a once in a generation accomplishment that will be talked about and regarded as an inspiration for many ages to come. Expand
  19. Oct 5, 2013
    Amazing visual effects/CGI and the whole atmosphere of what it's like being in space is done nicely. However, the performances are passable at best Clooney's role is basically a cameo. Bullock... she's not exactly my favorite actress, but I know she's capable and skilled. But I didn't find her performance here to be as highly acclaimed as some people are thinking perhaps because theAmazing visual effects/CGI and the whole atmosphere of what it's like being in space is done nicely. However, the performances are passable at best Clooney's role is basically a cameo. Bullock... she's not exactly my favorite actress, but I know she's capable and skilled. But I didn't find her performance here to be as highly acclaimed as some people are thinking perhaps because the character she portrays is annoyingly inept and stupidly lucky for an astronaut. The characters don't have depth to them, mostly because you're not given enough time to get invested before the hits the fan. Not to mention you barely get enough background to connect either so all you really know are their names and the fact that one has been on more missions than the other.

For a movie that's supposed to depict the realism of being in space and the potential dangers, the number of stupid, ridiculous and forced moments (though the movie would've been much shorter if they didn't) were more than enough for me to find myself criticizing nearly everything as I was simply left unimpressed and frustrated at what I was seeing on-screen. As one negative reviewer has said the basic rules of physics and space travel are oft bent or ignored.

Thriller? Edge of your seat? Perhaps for some who haven't seen the many flaws in this movie and who have never seen videos or played video games depicting what real space is like. There was, in my opinion, one or two moments where it was rather thrilling, but other than that the rest of the movie was bland and, as I've already mentioned, frustratingly stupid.

I regret spending the extra money to watch this in IMAX 3D.
  20. Oct 12, 2013
    This movie's title was terribly, terribly misleading. Virtually the whole film was set in space, where as I'm sure you'll be well aware, there is NO GRAVITY! It was only in the last five minutes or so where any of the characters had to deal with the effects of this force. Even talented performers like Sandra Bullock and George Clooney would be hard-pressed to show any significant characterThis movie's title was terribly, terribly misleading. Virtually the whole film was set in space, where as I'm sure you'll be well aware, there is NO GRAVITY! It was only in the last five minutes or so where any of the characters had to deal with the effects of this force. Even talented performers like Sandra Bullock and George Clooney would be hard-pressed to show any significant character development from dealing with gravity in such a short amount of time. Most good Science Fiction movies, such as "Alien", feature their main subject (i.e. the title of the movie) for at least a good two thirds of their duration. I haven't been so misled since the preserve-less 1996 film "Space Jam". Expand
  21. Oct 13, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The plot is really poor and filled with stereotypes such as the "Russian Mistake" and the "Oriental guy who cannot understand English".
    The visuals are really the best you can imagine for a sci-fi movie, but the intrusive music that you hear in Cuaron's space (instead of the silence and the breathing sound) ruins the whole experience. Also there are PLENTY of mistakes, such as the airlocks, that in the real world are always opened inwards the station and can be opened only from there, otherwise the gasses will flow out so fast that your body will be sent on a trip to Vulcan. All the equipment during the EVA is ALWAYS linked to the astronauts (yes, I'm speaking about the flying wrench), Houston does not listen to music during missions, astronauts do not speak about their life or fly with a jetpack around the ship (the real one is called SAFER and it's only for emergency use). Least but not last, if the crew of the ISS should be forced to escape, would have been using BOTH the Soyuzes (without leaving one for Sandra Bullock). Want good sci-fi? Watch Moon, Europa Report and obviusly 2001. This is crap.
  22. Oct 5, 2013
    Maybe I went into this (because of the critic reviews) with artificially high hopes, but this movie just didn't do it for me. .I am a Sci-Fi fanatic, and while the visuals were stunning and gave you the feeling of really being in space (I saw in 3D), the story just didn't match up IMHO. I also wished there had been more George and less Sandra (no, I'm not in love with him LOL hisMaybe I went into this (because of the critic reviews) with artificially high hopes, but this movie just didn't do it for me. .I am a Sci-Fi fanatic, and while the visuals were stunning and gave you the feeling of really being in space (I saw in 3D), the story just didn't match up IMHO. I also wished there had been more George and less Sandra (no, I'm not in love with him LOL his character was much more interesting). See the new Riddick instead (if you haven't already). This one is forgettable. Expand
  23. Oct 8, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Bottom line this movie is overrated. It's not worth the money. Boring. The same thing happens over and over again, space debris and spinning out of control in space. Some weird music too. I think it was a cheap way for the two big actors to make money for the holiday's and based off these ratings they will sadly. Expand
  24. Oct 5, 2013
    somehow i am missing what makes this great. the 3d in space is wonderful. the story is about as exciting as sandra b.'s acting. it's not that it's terrible, but there's very little to it. and g. clooney's character is a joke.
  25. Oct 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really don't know how this movie got such high matacritic reviews. Scripts is so amateur, unrealisitic!! Even George Clooney is not at his best! How can someone so cool-ly sacrifice himself with sarcasm?!! Only in cheap Hollywood flicks! Basic physics laws are broken so miserably! For god sake, if in the space and state of weightless ness, two people are attached by a rope, there is no way one of the being pulled away?! so he having too cut himself loose to save the other one?!!! Hello! there is no gravity! don't forget!!
    Such a waste of scenario's idea! could have been a great movie with a different crew!
  26. Oct 12, 2013
    if i dont like a movie i usually give it around a 6 but this... this i give a 2, I HATED IT
    predictable
    boring
    poor acting
    this is 1 of the most over rated movies of all time
  27. Oct 20, 2013
    Visuals aside, this was a miserable, unrealistic movie. Bullock's character is clearly the most unqualified astronaut in history and is horribly frustrating and annoying to watch. If you want to see anything even remotely realistic, steer clear of this movie.
  28. Oct 23, 2013
    I really don't understand how people can "connect" with such an annoying actress. The graphical effects were spectacular, but other than that I spent most of the movie wishing George Clooney would come back so I wouldn't be so bored. This movie is the same amount of a survival story as Spongebob Squarepants is an adult humor.
  29. Oct 21, 2013
    Did I really see the same movie as all of those who are saying "amazing, one of the best movies ever, best I've ever seen, fabulous performances...."?

Seriously? I guess this is the perfect movie for our ADD society where we need something sparkly to happen every 7 10 seconds... it's short attention span theater albeit pretty to watch with wonderful photography. It woefully lacks in

Seriously?

I guess this is the perfect movie for our ADD society where we need something sparkly to happen every 7 10 seconds... it's short attention span theater albeit pretty to watch with wonderful photography. It woefully lacks in character development and is void of any plausibility. It's The Perils of Pauline in Space, a paste diamond set in a Faberge egg of photography.
  30. Nov 9, 2013
    The most over rated movie in a generation. These are two one dimensional characters shot in 3D, nothing more. Strip away the glitter and you would be paying someone else to watch it for you. If you want a Disney roller coaster ride without the movement then go see it. If you want something that has anything besides visual marshmallow goop then skip it.
  31. Oct 13, 2013
    Good cinematography aside (which you might eventually just stop noticing sadly enough) everythign else is shallow and token. The characters, the plot, the acting, the action, the theme, nothing stands out. The movie relies on it's setting to thrill and at times it does but much like everything else in the movie it groes tiresome fairly quickly. Let's see what else to say? There's a partGood cinematography aside (which you might eventually just stop noticing sadly enough) everythign else is shallow and token. The characters, the plot, the acting, the action, the theme, nothing stands out. The movie relies on it's setting to thrill and at times it does but much like everything else in the movie it groes tiresome fairly quickly. Let's see what else to say? There's a part where Sandra Bullock barks like it dog (no it only somewhat makes sense in context) and that was the moment where i realized the 10.50 i paid for the screening was 10.50 too much. The minority character dies almost instantly (and in a super gruesome manner) because hey, every other hollywood movie treates minorities poorly, why not an Oscar hopeful one too? The 3D was actually pretty token and desperate. Want good 3D, go see Avatar or Dredd or Oz, certainly not Gravity. Expand
  32. Oct 20, 2013
    If you want to hear Sandra Bullock and George Clooney scream for 1 hour and 31 minutes, than this is the movie for you... If you want to go see a good movie, go see Captain Phillips.
  33. Nov 9, 2013
    I'm so INCREDIBLY disappointed. I could never imagine how clichée filled, "sentimental" and stupid this movie is. The dialogue (and the monologue!) is among the dumbest I've ever heard. As if that wasn't enough, I found myself questioning most of what was happening so many flaws and logical gaps. Frankly, the most enjoyable thing about this movie was the 3D and I really, really hate 3D.I'm so INCREDIBLY disappointed. I could never imagine how clichée filled, "sentimental" and stupid this movie is. The dialogue (and the monologue!) is among the dumbest I've ever heard. As if that wasn't enough, I found myself questioning most of what was happening so many flaws and logical gaps. Frankly, the most enjoyable thing about this movie was the 3D and I really, really hate 3D. I can't even imagine who would find this movie gripping. It's beyond me. Expand
  34. Oct 16, 2013
    The summer of bummers. Yes, it's fall now, but this will be the year that had an astonishing amount of clunker movies that were highly anticipated and overhyped, with the good ones passing through with little attention. "Despicable Me 2" was an exception, as Gru and the Minions were once again delighting audiences with the funniest animated movie of the year, and given theThe summer of bummers. Yes, it's fall now, but this will be the year that had an astonishing amount of clunker movies that were highly anticipated and overhyped, with the good ones passing through with little attention. "Despicable Me 2" was an exception, as Gru and the Minions were once again delighting audiences with the funniest animated movie of the year, and given the minions' popularity, we'll see more of those little yellow guys.
    "Gravity" is a movie of polar opposites. 3-D mavens are all over this space tale, and the effects and Earth shots are indeed spectacular, although I would imagine Sandra Bullock's 3-D underwear has as many admirers. For those of us expecting more real suspense besides one crisis and idiotic break after another, "Gravity" is a loser.
    Gone is any earthbound activity, making the movie almost a Bullock solo act, ala Castaway. Not that she's not a good actress, far from it. But what we get are giant dialogue cliches piled high and deep, two very conveniently located space stations that just happen to be right by in the same orbit, and a soundtrack meant to inspire that instead overdoes it to the point of hurling. For all the work that went into the premise, to allow the plot and dialogue to resemble other "heroic" movies long on visuals and pathetic on plot, like "Independence Day", is baffling.
    Space is a very mysterious unknown, and there should be a free reign of imagination that knows no limits. While we may tire of aliens, there's enough real stuff out there radioactivity, gama rays, etc. that should provide plenty of fodder for a much more believable situation.
    What a galactic cliche.
  35. Feb 12, 2014
    Overrated seems to be wrong. Words like "intense, gripping, breathtaking, beautiful" I've read in some reviews serve as perfect antonyms for what my opinion about the film was. Yet another splendid cinematography (it gets a 2 because of that, otherwise it would be a nice round 0) used for all the wrong reasons. I really don't understand why the critics loved it so much, this has flaws inOverrated seems to be wrong. Words like "intense, gripping, breathtaking, beautiful" I've read in some reviews serve as perfect antonyms for what my opinion about the film was. Yet another splendid cinematography (it gets a 2 because of that, otherwise it would be a nice round 0) used for all the wrong reasons. I really don't understand why the critics loved it so much, this has flaws in every direction you look at it.

My favourite reviews, especially, are the ones that refer to the film as "realistic", which is nonsense and I don't think I should explain why. The acting is horrible, and honestly I was expecting a little more from Clooney, who's been doing a lot of decent stuff recently. Sandra Bullock's gasps will be everything you hear for a good hour, and I take it they had to write them all down in the screenplay to get it to two pages.

No character development, same trite space story. The struggle for survival and blah blah, while everything I wished was for Sandra Bullock to die already.

Do not give money to this kind of cinema because you help boasting their income and encourage them to continue on this line, and we've had enough of that.
  36. Oct 23, 2013
    Cinema is the most thrilling and easy art ever, because you can show a picture and at the same time tell a story.

What define a great movie I think this is the question you need to ask you, when you want to go and watch GRAVITY. If you define great movie by just the quality of the picture, MEN that's the best movie ever! But if you are not deaf (no offense), you'll define a great

But if you are not deaf (no offense), you'll define a great movie by the quality of the photography, the way the characters are built, the emotions going thru them, the sensations and the feeling coming from the situations (the music, etc), the story and the message of the movie.

But i'm sorry, here only 1 of these things pull it out [the quality of the picture]. The rest is just lacking so badly.

I wish I could tell how this movie is awesome, but that wouldn't be true... at all.

I'm not going to repeat the lack of acting, the bad characters construction, the over-dramatic clichés (family picture floating around, foetus position floating in space and giant position to stand up at the end of the movie showing up how you can thrive through adversity), the biggest baddest day ever of the unluckiest person (not) on earth; but tell you about the biggest disappointment of this movie...
    There's no feelings, not a single moment of emotions from the spectators, no tears coming, no fear and anxiety, you just sit there waiting for something crazier than the last 5 minutes to happen again and again.

I wish I went out of the theater with a little panic attack... but no, I just went back home and wrote this, because I was just disappointed. You can get a 10 better movies with about almost the same subject but way better, form the past 10 years; if you prefer video games go buy MassEffect 2 and just play the first 10 minutes, you'll have a better experience than the 1 hour and 30 minutes of Gravity.

Last words Almost big studios, almost, you'll not get me so easily. Stop trying to refer and count only on award winners.
  37. Oct 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I have never walked out of an IMAX film until this one. It was so unbelievably corny and just plain wrong I couldn't stand it. After Clooney's character died because the movie disregarded the law of which it was named after I was done with it. Should have been called "Open Water: In Space" Expand
  38. Oct 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The movie is way to predictable and boring. Though it may look cool, it is lacking a good plot and is over all a very poorly made film. The movie starts out interesting because it is a completely new idea but as the story progresses the movie starts to get dull and boring. This is because it is missing a proper climax and everything is way to predictable. One other mistake is killing off george cloony which meant adding to how boring the film was, they even try to bring him back but it was just not good enough and they did not put enough effort to making a good film instead they put out a lot of effort into advertising the film by using two famous actors. Not a good watch and i would definitely never watch it again Expand
  39. Nov 15, 2013
    Coming here and seeing that the critic's score of this movie is 91 and the one of a movie like "The Green Mile" is just 61 surprised me a lot. A great trailer and then nothing: insignificant characters, repetitive plot, banal ending. Don't waste your time and money.
  40. Feb 9, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Very boring movie. I was falling asleep. She should have died and at least we'd grieved a tiny bit. Other than awesome visuals, the movie lacks so much. We never did attach to the character because she was so pathetic. The story is empty and void of spiritual dimension. When Matt showed up again was the best scene but it was all a dream??? Expand
  41. Mar 1, 2014
    It was like having diarrhea. Worst movie I have watched in my whole life. You didn't feel an emotional connection with the characters. The logic was heavily flawed. Very cringe worthy. The visuals was good, but not good enough to justify for everything else. And Ryan(Sandra Bullock) was mentally retarded.
  42. Mar 18, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie is a disgrace to science. None of the writers heard of inertia? Bullock wouldn't have made it out of the opening scenes. I haven't seen a movie this bad since Buckaroo Banzai. Clooney was horrible and so care-free about dying. CGI and one cliff hanger after another. Horrible script. This movie is everything thats wrong with society. If I could give this movie a negative numerical rating, I would. If you love sic-fi, pass this movie by. Expand
  43. Jun 3, 2014
    This main girl character must be the dumbest and most stupidest human ever sent to space. If this is the best and brightest what NASA can muster then we are all doomed.
    Should i say that she is irritating as ****
  44. Jan 27, 2014
    I didn't watch this movie in an Imax theatre, so maybe the "ahh" factor what might be the reason that people are giving this movie such ludicrous high ratings all over the board eludes me, but in my opinion it's an aggravatingly bad movie.
    The visuals are great, everything looks fantastic, but that's it.
    This movie screams "preposterous". it pretends, in an arrogant way, to be a
    The visuals are great, everything looks fantastic, but that's it.
    This movie screams "preposterous". it pretends, in an arrogant way, to be a realistic "current time" sci-fi movie/drama, but it crashes and burns with monstrous factual errors. after the fourth physics-defying scene i couldn't watch it anymore.
    Probably a great movie if you can suspend your disbelief, but the pretence of this movie is you don't.
  45. Nov 9, 2013
    Touching, funny, involving, human, simple, direct. This is perfect cinema. Utterly convincing, almost to the extent of making me queasy, though I soon got my space legs, Gravity makes maximum use of sound and vision.

Just remember to breathe!
  46. Mar 24, 2014
    I'm terribly sorry. Was I supposed to like this film? The CGI was very nice but plllleeeaaase! The plot was so banal it could have been written by a 9 year old ... or a movie industry executive (same thing). Visually this film is a 9 but the rest of it is a 2. See it and then forget it as quickly as you can and go watch 2001 again. Gravity has rating of O for OVERRATED.
  47. Oct 24, 2013
    I got back into my metacritic account after a long time because of my disappointment in the movie. First, this movie is hit hard in the lacking of a good script and one thing that I despise is cheesiness unfortunately this movie is loaded with awkward, goofy screenwriting many will disagree with this and that's fine. But I guarantee many of you out there saw this and saw beyond its veryI got back into my metacritic account after a long time because of my disappointment in the movie. First, this movie is hit hard in the lacking of a good script and one thing that I despise is cheesiness unfortunately this movie is loaded with awkward, goofy screenwriting many will disagree with this and that's fine. But I guarantee many of you out there saw this and saw beyond its very amazing cinematography and visuals which are the small bit of praise I will give for Gravity. Now to move to the acting and the characters, first off the acting was limited, it was much of just sandra bullock and unfortunately this isn't her best performance, not necessarily her fault here though. The fault lies in what I see as TERRIBLE characters and story to boast. I am someone who gets fully engrossed in a movie emotionally and its not a hard thing for me to usually do. This movie was just bland, if you look past the fantastic visuals and cinematography what you get is a story with a bland character and a couple moments of George Clooney being George Clooney. I am an avid movie goer and lover of movies, I don't hate on movies much but I was so disappointed in this movie due to the high metacritic score (usually a good sign in my opinion) but I seriously thought this was complete trash. Expand
  48. Jan 19, 2014
    For a movie that prides it self on accuracy, it seems to have none. Even if you take the whole intro for granted, there was a scene that pissed me off (spoliers) ---->

When she gets caught in the station and captures the other astronaut there is something pulling them away. Do they not understand the conecpt of zero G, there is nothing pulling anyone, like really come on. You could at least make a plot that didn't have as many holes as this

end of spoilers TLDR non realistic unnecessarily full of plot holes
  49. Oct 9, 2013
    This is a very good movie. The first 30 minutes is outstanding. George Clooney delivers a great performance, and nearly steals the movie. The script and the production values are AAA. I actually like Sandra Bullock as a film actress, but she could have added more depth based on her character arc in the script.
  50. Mar 5, 2014
    There's a better "g"-word to describe this movie--Garbage. I rented this last night and was incredibly disappointed. This is oscar-worthy? Dallas Buyers Club, absolutely. Her, definitely. But Sandra Bullock fumbling around in space for 90 minutes with a George Clooney voiceover? It doesn't work. It's not interesting, it's not gripping, and it doesn't translate to anyone who hasn'tThere's a better "g"-word to describe this movie--Garbage. I rented this last night and was incredibly disappointed. This is oscar-worthy? Dallas Buyers Club, absolutely. Her, definitely. But Sandra Bullock fumbling around in space for 90 minutes with a George Clooney voiceover? It doesn't work. It's not interesting, it's not gripping, and it doesn't translate to anyone who hasn't been in space, which is probably about 99.99% of the human population. Apollo 13 did it MUCH better, so if you're dying to see a good **** happens, even in space" flick, go for that instead.

And lemme tell ya. With all that open space out there around Earth, the Hubble Space Telescope, ISS, & Chinese station sure seem very close together….If you can float from one to the other using a can of hairspray as your propellant and NOT run out of air…I'm calling BS. A big can of BS.

In summary, the acting is trash. The script is pompous. And the story is a yawner. Read some of the other negative reviews so at least you're informed if you choose to watch it.
  51. Nov 10, 2013
    Completely blown away, best movie of the year in my opinion.

Technically flawless with masterful pacing and perfect performances, not to mention haunting sound editing, it's all there and more. For 90 minutes, which felt like a lifetime because of intense and packed the movie was, you feel like you're in space, struggling for survival against all odds. How often does a movie achieve
    Completely blown away, best movie of the year in my opinion.

For 90 minutes, which felt like a lifetime because of intense and packed the movie was, you feel like you're in space, struggling for survival against all odds. How often does a movie achieve something like that?
  52. Oct 6, 2013
    "Gravity" is a directors film though and through. Alfonso Cuaron does a magnificent job of creating the feeling of being in space. When I was watching this movie, I really felt like I was drifting through space much like the characters as they tumbled and twirled around in the vast emptiness of the unknown. There’s a lot of quiet and somber moments in this film, mostly with the characters"Gravity" is a directors film though and through. Alfonso Cuaron does a magnificent job of creating the feeling of being in space. When I was watching this movie, I really felt like I was drifting through space much like the characters as they tumbled and twirled around in the vast emptiness of the unknown. There’s a lot of quiet and somber moments in this film, mostly with the characters floating around and just talking about their life. However, it’s always absorbing. As you’re drawn into the experience, you feel as if you are there with the characters witnessing everything first hand. The cinematography is quit brilliant and is a major factor in giving the sense of being in space. The camera masterfully spins and turns weightlessly in a way that it would in space without giving a dizzying feeling. My breath was also taken away a few times from the sheer beauty of some of the shots and how they were composed.

The script on the other hand is quit good as well. The story of letting go and moving on is handled well with a lot of attention to visual story telling. It gives us a real sense of the terrors and loneliness of space, a place were our screams can’t be heard. The themes of letting go are handled very well as we see the characters learn and grow. My gripe with the script would have to do with the dialogue. Some of the things the characters say either take me out of the film at times or make me feel like its unnecessary. The dialogue also sometimes felt like a crutch as it sometimes stated the obvious.

The cast is incredibly small, but it is no short of big names. George Clooney as Matt Kowalski gives a solid performance. Kowalski is a typical quick talking charmer that Clooney is so accustomed to playing, but the character does provide some of the lighter moments in the film. The real standout is Sandra Bullock as Ryan Stone. Ryan has a hard time letting go of the past as she had a terrible tragedy befall her. Bullock plays the character well with little quirks of uncertainty and gives us a very likable character that we can all cheer for.

Visually, this film is stunning and a treat for the eyes. From one jaw-dropping shot composition to the next, I was almost always in awe of what I was seeing. Space looked incredibly real and Cuaron and crew made everything look so seamless. The score isn’t bad either. It’s usually quiet, but when something goes down, it really aids in the terror and urgency of the situation. Not only that, but it can also be powerfully moving and uplift as well.

Overall, from a technical stand point, “Gravity” is a masterpiece. I was almost always in awe of what I was seeing and a lot of the credit goes to Alfonso Cuaron. He really gave us an experience that heightened our senses. From masterful cinematography to stunning visual effects, it is a treat for the eyes. Wonderful and unique shots are spread throughout this film and I really fell like I’ve never seen anything like this before. The only complain I have for this film is the dialogue. While interesting, I felt it didn’t fit well all the time with what we were watching. This movie was at its best when it was quiet. I give it an incredibly high 4/5, an experience.
  53. Mar 2, 2014
    Meteor hit every station as soon as Bullock reach it, and of course there are russian and chinese stations floating around and you can reach those with fire extinguisher.
    The story is totally cheap and even stupid and dumb. This is NOT a Sci-Fi but someone's not really good imagination.
  54. Oct 9, 2013
    Mala por donde se la mira, George Clooney hace un papel de payaso insoportable, es una película que no te deja nada, ademas de las carencias por parte de los analistas y asesores con respecto al comportamiento de las "cosas" en el espacio, la película carece de dialogo, se trata de inventarles un perfil a los personajes pero no se logra. Se abusa del retoque digital en Sandra BullockMala por donde se la mira, George Clooney hace un papel de payaso insoportable, es una película que no te deja nada, ademas de las carencias por parte de los analistas y asesores con respecto al comportamiento de las "cosas" en el espacio, la película carece de dialogo, se trata de inventarles un perfil a los personajes pero no se logra. Se abusa del retoque digital en Sandra Bullock teniendo mejor cuerpo que una mujer de 20 años. Quien le dio tan buena critica? Expand
  55. May 21, 2014
    Gravity isnt a bad film, it isnt exactly good either... it is, however, very, very overated..only good point is that the visuals are stunning.........
  56. Oct 11, 2013
    This is literally the best movie I have ever seen. There is so much to love. I have never left a theater speechless before. But I did that night, and I could not speak for at least half an hour afterwards.
  57. Feb 19, 2014
    I think is the time I've been more disappointed with a films. I only go to the cinema about once per year, because of the price and the poor quality of the films, having seen the reveiws of Gravity I decided to spend about 22 pounds to see with my wife a 3D version of this films...well, I fell asleep after 25 minutes, the films is SO TEDIOUS, I couldn't stand it! the visuals are Ok, but toI think is the time I've been more disappointed with a films. I only go to the cinema about once per year, because of the price and the poor quality of the films, having seen the reveiws of Gravity I decided to spend about 22 pounds to see with my wife a 3D version of this films...well, I fell asleep after 25 minutes, the films is SO TEDIOUS, I couldn't stand it! the visuals are Ok, but to be fare, I was impress at any moment for anything about them...

Seriously I think is the most overrated films ever!!!!

By the way, the films is full of cliches, the character of clooney is something quite pathetic...
  58. Oct 20, 2013
    Space... the final frontier... of near death and thrilling situations.
    That summs the movie up. If we left out the jaw dropping ambiance,
    scenery and cinematography. When the first cut in this movie happened I clapped. Wanna know why? Because it doesn't happen till 3 minutes into the movie when the satellite debry starts cutting through dudes faces. That is masterpiece editing done by
    Space... the final frontier... of near death and thrilling situations.
    That summs the movie up. If we left out the jaw dropping ambiance,
    scenery and cinematography. When the first cut in this movie happened I
    clapped. Wanna know why? Because it doesn't happen till 3 minutes into
    the movie when the satellite debry starts cutting through dudes faces.
    That is masterpiece editing done by the proud Mexican (I'm Mexican)
    Alfonso Cuarón. The flowing of every scene is smooth but tense at the
    same time. You gasp for air and control when you are put in Bullock's
    point of view while she spins into the nothingness of space. And those
    scenes last... and are absolutely beautifully choreographed. The tense
    atmosphere that Cuarón achieves doesn't let go of you until the last
    second of the movie for you to realize how sweaty you are. The script
    and dialogue aren't something to be amazed about, but the acting makes
    up for it. The charm and charisma of Clooney are entertaining and you
    really believe some of the scenes done by Sandra Bullock who plays this
    really unlucky (but at the same time lucky?) astronaut. Cuarón achieves
    greatness with eye popping visuals and a surprisingly low (for the
    things you experience in the movie) budget and that is something you
    don't see that often. I can really see some Oscar statues in Cuaron's
    pocket in 2014.
  59. Jan 25, 2014
    I am one of the few people who didn't enjoy Gravity. I found Sandra Bullock's character annoying. If this was the real world her character wouldn't have even passed basic training. She lacked knowledge about space that would be extremely important for an astronaut to know. I also didn't like her character's back story. It was just sad to be sad, there was no real reason for it. I wouldI am one of the few people who didn't enjoy Gravity. I found Sandra Bullock's character annoying. If this was the real world her character wouldn't have even passed basic training. She lacked knowledge about space that would be extremely important for an astronaut to know. I also didn't like her character's back story. It was just sad to be sad, there was no real reason for it. I would have prefered a stronger character fighting to live for what they had back home rather than having Bullock's character have really nothing to live for. What I did like about the movie was the special effects. They were amazing to watch. Maybe I would have enjoyed Gravity more if I saw it in IMAX but on a regular screen it was majorly lacking. Expand
  60. Nov 9, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The negative reviews here are baffling. Truly baffling. A lot of them are saying "there's no plot". Well what exactly are we looking for here? Debris from a destroyed satellite impacts upon a small-scale mission above Earth and we then follow in near real-time an attempt by the survivors to return to Earth. So we spend about 90 minutes in that situation and what happens is what happens. How much of a character arc can we really expect?

Other comments are like this :
    "Bad acting". Utter drivel.
    "Sets feminism back with a female character who just panics and hyperventilates". WTF?

I think I'd panic, too. A lot.

Clooney's character was calm because this wasn't his first rodeo. Bullock's Ryan was on her first trip out. She's set adrift in space without a way to take control and that caused her to panic. A lot. Seems reasonable. It had nothing to do with her gender. Nothing in this film is concerned with gender. It's absolutely ludicrous to try and make an argument that this film is diminishing feminism.

One of the '0' reviews I read said that people who are raving about the film are too embarrassed to say they don't like it because they've bought into the hype. Honestly, I'd say it was the other way around. These reviewers are determined not to like this film.

It's clear that I'm very much in favour of this film.
    You should see it for yourself.
    When you do, remind yourself of the strongly negative opinions and try and relate them to what you've just seen. You should logically conclude that the negative reviews are, as I said, baffling.

If you find yourself agreeing with the bizarre negativity, then re-read this and know that now I'm complaining about you. Yes, you. You baffle me.
  61. Dec 26, 2013
    This movie is a joke. It had amazing visuals that took some 7 years to do (they had to wait for the technology to be created). It had a script that was written in 30 minutes, while the writer was drunk and high. It had acting that was great at first, but got repetitive and annoying. Worst of all, there's no arc, there's no story; it's just the same 5-minute loop over and over again. IfThis movie is a joke. It had amazing visuals that took some 7 years to do (they had to wait for the technology to be created). It had a script that was written in 30 minutes, while the writer was drunk and high. It had acting that was great at first, but got repetitive and annoying. Worst of all, there's no arc, there's no story; it's just the same 5-minute loop over and over again. If you've seen the trailer, you've seen the whole movie. Expand
  62. Jan 8, 2014
    A movie that is not about science fiction should stay true to science that governs our universe. Being an engineer myself i cringed every second i saw b-s physics just to advance the non-existent plot. Not a movie for educated people who actually likes a plot and presentation to go along with it. More of a movie for the brainless people who thinks woofing in a spacepod is emotional andA movie that is not about science fiction should stay true to science that governs our universe. Being an engineer myself i cringed every second i saw b-s physics just to advance the non-existent plot. Not a movie for educated people who actually likes a plot and presentation to go along with it. More of a movie for the brainless people who thinks woofing in a spacepod is emotional and opening the airlock of it is actually a cool idea for the reunion cliche.

This movie is a litmus paper to stupidity and the ratings show the average brain power of people who watched this movie.
  63. Feb 1, 2014
    This film is the most overrated thing I have ever watched. Not only is it just ludicrous to put religious themes in there but the fact that the laws of physics didn't even apply was the worst part, apparently the ISS was only 100 miles from the shuttle but if you look at the Earth and the ISS it is clear it is almost 3,000km away! Such a stupid film and mind numbingly offensive to peopleThis film is the most overrated thing I have ever watched. Not only is it just ludicrous to put religious themes in there but the fact that the laws of physics didn't even apply was the worst part, apparently the ISS was only 100 miles from the shuttle but if you look at the Earth and the ISS it is clear it is almost 3,000km away! Such a stupid film and mind numbingly offensive to people with knowledge on Astronomy. Sandra Bullick also acted horribly and unrealistically, no depth to her character at all, just strange reactions and boring backstory on her daughter. One thing I'll give it is the cinematography is superb but if you have a background on Astronomy DON'T WATCH THIS FILM! It will frustrate the **** out of you.  Expand
  64. Oct 4, 2013
    Gravity may be the Jaws of this generation. Right from the start, this movie's straightforward premise grips its audience and doesn't let go until the credits roll.

The best aspect of Gravity is its cinematography, which is masterfully done and chock-full of long takes (a favorite of mine). The worst aspect is its story, which screams with suspense but lacks any real depth. I was expecting more, even from a sci-fi action thriller. We're offered just a taste of the kinds of lives the main characters live and, as a result, sympathize with them only to the extent that we hope they make it out alive. George Clooney plays the same unflappable wise guy he plays in every movie and Sandra Bullock plays a doctor still getting used to the hardships that lie beyond our atmosphere. During a maintenance mission, something bad happens which thrusts the characters into a survival situation. Any further elaborations would seriously constitute spoiling the movie.

If you're looking for a great thrill ride, the price of admission is easily worth it. Gravity consumes you while in the theater, but the lack of complex themes or deeper meaning means that it won't be stirring in your head long after you reach home.
  65. Oct 7, 2013
    I'm not feeling it. This movie was BORING. Thank goodness it was only 90 minutes long since most of that 90 minutes was spent watching Sandra Bullock gasping, grunting, and hyperventilating out in space. There was hardly any plot and zero character development, George Clooney was practically non existent except for a few minutes of "witty repartee" with Bullock at the beginning.I'm not feeling it. This movie was BORING. Thank goodness it was only 90 minutes long since most of that 90 minutes was spent watching Sandra Bullock gasping, grunting, and hyperventilating out in space. There was hardly any plot and zero character development, George Clooney was practically non existent except for a few minutes of "witty repartee" with Bullock at the beginning. Oscar-worthy material? Okay, maybe for special effects. Expand
  66. Oct 12, 2013
    G R A V I T Y MIND BLOWING 3D! VISUALLY EXCITING AND S-C-A-R-Y at the same time. The movie's director Alfonso Curon (harry potter 3'rd part movie), decided to shoot nearly 60% of the movie in 1'st person perspective -and the result is spine chilling. They were times I forgot I was watching a movie in a theater cause it felt like I was out there in space (with SANDRA BULLOCK) spinningG R A V I T Y MIND BLOWING 3D! VISUALLY EXCITING AND S-C-A-R-Y at the same time. The movie's director Alfonso Curon (harry potter 3'rd part movie), decided to shoot nearly 60% of the movie in 1'st person perspective -and the result is spine chilling. They were times I forgot I was watching a movie in a theater cause it felt like I was out there in space (with SANDRA BULLOCK) spinning wildly out of control, without any idea where to go. The 3D is incredible. I HAVE NEVER EXPERIENCE A MOVIE LIKE THIS ON THE BIG SCREEN EVER BEFORE. AND I EMPHASIZE ON EXPERIENCE CAUSE WATCHING THIS MOVIE ON THE BIG SCREEN IS TRULY AN EXPERIENCE THAT NO MOVIE LOVING HUMAN BEING SHOULD EVER MISS. Any one thinking about watching this movie (via download, dvd, blu-ray, clueray blaha blah,) anywhere other than a theater will be a waste for him/her. THis is truly a big screen, 3D tHEATRE MOVIE LIKE NONE BEFORE (even AVATAR didn't give me this experience). as for the story it is thrilling, emotional, along with rock solid performance from SANDRA BULLOCK (she really sinks her teeth into this role physically and emotionally) a solid extended cameo with a heroic, emotional and incredibly charming act from George Clooney!! MUST WATCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 5 STARS RATING LOVED EVERY MINUTE OF THIS 90 MINUTE MOVIE Expand
  67. Oct 20, 2013
    I signed up on Metacritic just to write this review. Perhaps this particular epiphany has come to others much faster, but I now officially give up on humanity. I went to see this film (and heavily dodged spoilers) because this movie received over 40 positive critic reviews with no mixed and no negative reviews. Metacritic is notoriously hard on movies, so I was excited. Would this beI signed up on Metacritic just to write this review. Perhaps this particular epiphany has come to others much faster, but I now officially give up on humanity. I went to see this film (and heavily dodged spoilers) because this movie received over 40 positive critic reviews with no mixed and no negative reviews. Metacritic is notoriously hard on movies, so I was excited. Would this be as good as Sunshine? Moon? Perhaps better?

And then I got this. What a waste of some serious audio and visual talent. Imagine if there was some science? Or a story? Or some sane dialogue?

You get the picture. 5 points for all the technical people behind this. Nothing for anything else. See it to support the genre and hope that the next time a movie like this is pitched they recognize that the rave reviews and big box office happened despite the characters/dialogue/story.
  68. Feb 28, 2014
    While the visuals and sound brought this up a couple of points for me, the story itself was linear, very predictable and just boring. Seriously cannot see what all the fuss was about....
  69. Nov 10, 2013
    Gravity (90 wonderful minutes) Sandra Bullock- Dr. Ryan Stone George Clooney- Matt Kowalski Ed Harris Mission Control (voice)

Gravity is not only one of the best movies about space ever made, it is one of the best movies ever made, period. From the opening until the end, the moviegoer is held in the spellbinding grip of this magnificent film. Gravity deserves every Oscar that can be forged, it is just that good.

There are no gratuitous sex scenes, no sappy no corporate logos or political innuendos in this film, just 90 minutes of gripping, spellbinding entertainment. This is one of the tightest movies I have ever seen, not one second wasted, no fluff, no quarter and no pause. From the moment you are in your seat, prepare to stay there and prepare to be absorbed by this tour de force of a film. The attention to detail is absolutely amazing, it's about the best I have ever seen. My popcorn and every edible half-popped kernel was consumed in the first 30 minutes and any thoughts of relieving an aching bladder during this film were discarded as the cinematic greatness manifested itself throughout the entire 90 minutes.

Sandra Bullock was wonderful in this role, certainly an award-winning performance from beginning to end. I will try really hard to avoid Spoilers here, but this film is brutally real as there is no saving the day or head-turning suspension of disbelief. The scene in the Russian capsule where Dr. Ryan seemingly had accepted her inevitable fate...I won't say any more, just go see this film.

This movie received universal acclaim from the professional critics, but has been savaged by quite a few amateur movie critics who criticize the movie for two main reasons. First, the storyline is assailed as being mediocre or pedestrian, and others rail against the scientific accuracy of what is portrayed in the film. To this I say, codswallop. Many forget the purpose of movies, i.e. to entertain the audience, and this one does this in spades.

Just go see it, you will not be sorry. Five Stars out of Five.
  70. Nov 17, 2013
    Why is there so much buzz about this movie? It is just a woman breathing into the microphone. The theater audience was half-awake during this movie. I will give 4 points to the stunning visuals in this movie, however.

Summary: Overrated, Boring, Visually Fantastic
    Grade: 36%
  71. Jan 26, 2014
    I spent money on this movie and it was a waste of my time. I saw the trailer before I went and saw the movie and at the end over the movie I was very disappointed because the trailer made it look good but the trailer was the whole movie. I tell all of my friends to watch the trailer and that's the movie. This movie was a waste of time and money. I have no idea why everyone liked it so muchI spent money on this movie and it was a waste of my time. I saw the trailer before I went and saw the movie and at the end over the movie I was very disappointed because the trailer made it look good but the trailer was the whole movie. I tell all of my friends to watch the trailer and that's the movie. This movie was a waste of time and money. I have no idea why everyone liked it so much but I guess it was because everyone these days are stupid and can't think about anything but the simplest things that that go on. I say to the people who made this movie go and watch an episode of doctor who and then look at this movie. I am saying you guys suck and British people are so much better. Go take a lesson from Steven Moffat because he knows how to write an amazing story line and keep it going and make it better as it goes on. I will never watch a movie that is made by you and I will tell all of my friends the same thing I told them about Gravity that it sucked and is waste of time and money and no one in their right mind should go see it. Before I go might i just add that the acting sucked as well I hated that actors that you got they absolutely sucked and should never act again. Expand
  72. Feb 1, 2014
    Flawed Science and so dull. I was forced to bet with myself how many times the characters would miss the vital piece of space equipment before finally saving themselves again. Ghastly waste of time
  73. Feb 17, 2014
    When I watched this movie, I thought it was 1998 .. because that was the last time either of these main characters were popular!

The movie looked great ! .. but Clooney and Bullock ! ? are you serious! ..ruined the movie for me. I could guess everything that was coming, and most parts I just kept thinking " how typical " .. it could of been a great movie, but it was obviously dumbed

I could guess everything that was coming, and most parts I just kept thinking " how typical " .. it could of been a great movie, but it was obviously dumbed down for the mainstream and from the look of the 8.1 score it has got, it worked ! .. but not for me!

My least favourite part, the country music and good old American boys themed start, god I hated that more that fundamentalist Christians.. they would of loved it though LOL
  74. Feb 20, 2014
    I'll preface this by saying I'm a film maker, so I might be a bit jaded...

But this movie is about as enjoyable as being hit in the face with a big flopy donkey dick, easily one of the worst pieces of trash I've ever seen. Plot? who needs one. Characters? naaa, that's old. Empathy? Depth? development? screw it. I don't know how a movie can make this many mistakes. besides being
    I'll preface this by saying I'm a film maker, so I might be a bit jaded...

I don't know how a movie can make this many mistakes. besides being boring as **** it makes no sense, and from a technical standpoint is ludicrous. I see now why chris hadfield found this movie so hard to swallow.

75. Feb 26, 2014
    This movie has the same problems as Avatar: It's all sizzle and no steak. I'm not going to lie, this is one of the most visually impressive movies I've even seen, but that's about all it has going for it. If you were expecting a gripping story filled with emotional themes about survival, love, betrayal, or revenge, then you'll no doubt be in for a disappointment.

Visuals (10/10):

Visuals (10/10): Probably one of best I've ever seen in a movie, and even better if you watch it in 3D. Don't expect to get much enjoyment if you watch it on a standard TV though.

Plot (2/10): I'm not overstating one bit when I say this: This movie has NO plot whatsoever. Without spoiling anything (although there is nothing to spoil anyways), this entire movie is about some woman in an astronaut suit floating around in space and jumping between satellites. No protagonists, antagonists, foil characters, plot-twists, climax, or any other common elements that make up a story. The intro of the movie failed to give any background information on the two characters, and the ending was highly predictable.

Characters (3/10): This movie only has two characters, and both of them were completely void of any personality whatsoever.

Clooney played as an astronaut with a one-dimensional personality with no emotion whatsoever. In one scene is was being painfully being hurled around space with space junk, and he starts saying this: "Looks like America has lost its Facebook". WTF? You are close to being chopped into pieces and you are wasting your time joking around? What's worse is that he is smiling through the entire movie with no fear whatsoever, even in times when he is close to getting killed.

If you thought Clooney was bad, then don't get me started on Bullock. Seriously, whose idea was it to choose her, out of all the people? There are far more better actors out there that could've suited this role 10x better, but I'd guess they had to please the feminists somehow. All she does is whine and complain throughout the entire movie, saying stuff like "Don't leave me all by myself!" and "N-n-n-n-n-noo!". I'm not joking when I say this, she only speaks about 10 lines through the entire movie. What's worse is that she takes her clothes off in one scene. WTF? Isn't this movie supposed to be about survival?

Emotional Content (3/10): I'm sorry but I felt no emotional attachment to Bullock whatsoever. How am I supposed to feel attached to a 50-year-old women that floats around in her underwear (which I actually found pretty disturbing), and someone who whines all the time? I literally felt like taking off her mask and hurling her into space, I just couldn't bear her any longer.

Physics (1/10): Using a fire extinguisher to chase after a satellite floating at a speed of 1000km/h+ is really realistic, right? Of course your average Mcdonalds worker will think it's realistic, but if you have even a remote background in basic physics, this entire movie will seem cringe-worthy.

All in all, this movie would make a great 4-D simulation ride at Chuck-e-Cheese's, but as a movie which you're going to sit through for 2 hours, this falls horribly flat.

Pros: Groundbreaking visuals and special effects
    Cons: Non-existent plot, horrible characters and acting, no emotional value whatsoever, cheesy unnecessary jokes, unrealistic physics
  76. Mar 1, 2014
    My god this was a horrible flick.

It mainly consisted of beautiful filming, heavy breathing, and a dumb as a sponge character. Dr Stone keeps on blithering “I am running out of oxygen” but she just babbles, fidgets and keeps babbling instead of just relaxing and breathing slowly as an astronaut would be trained to do This character was a joke. She could not get out of a public
    My god this was a horrible flick.

It mainly consisted of beautiful filming, heavy breathing, and
    a dumb as a sponge character.

This character was a joke. She could not get out of a public toilet cubicle if she locked herself in it.

The only redeeming character was Matt Kowalski but then there were
    really only two characters in the movie.

I should have just watched Vanishing Point again
  77. Mar 2, 2014
    Better than '12 years a slave'?
    Oscar winner 2014?
    Let's watch it!
    And it was sooooo booooring. Uhh.
    The lauded earth and space sequences - omg, Avatar was much more inspiring in that respect.
    Only the over 70s in the academy jury could like that.
  78. Dec 26, 2014
    I really have to say this is one of the very worst movies I have ever seen. I really did not expect a mind blowing sci-fi movie but this movie was honestly so boring and so senseless.. there is no comparison. I try very hard to find one positive thing about the movie but I cant. Even the effects and the sound are far from being excellent or mind blowing. This movie is just a very big failI really have to say this is one of the very worst movies I have ever seen. I really did not expect a mind blowing sci-fi movie but this movie was honestly so boring and so senseless.. there is no comparison. I try very hard to find one positive thing about the movie but I cant. Even the effects and the sound are far from being excellent or mind blowing. This movie is just a very big fail and waste of time. Rating this movie with more than 0 proves bad taste. I dont see any reason to give more than a 0 rating to this movie, maybe somebody can enlighten me Expand
  79. May 20, 2015
    I found this film very boring, it does almost nothing happens and it's very long, it's without interest, it's very very annoying and I don't recomanded this movie
  80. Jun 12, 2015
    This movie has a boring storyline, Sandra Bullock's acting was not close to good and the score was overrated. The only thing I liked about this movie was its director - Alfonso Cuaron, who indeed deserves the Oscar; and its cinematography and filming. However the film is way too overrated. I was surprised that it receives so much critical acclaim.
  81. Nov 14, 2013
    A rather incredible film in all honesty. A wonderful balance of persistent tension and sudden shock, coupled with constantly breathtaking visuals, Gravity would be the perfect film but for the rather cheesy, Buzz Lightyear-type peformance from Clooney.
  82. Nov 19, 2013
    Amazing to look at, and one of the most (if not the most) suspenseful films I've ever seen. It's truly "edge-of-your-seat" entertainment. Unfortunately, lines like "No one's going to pray for my soul....I've never prayed. No one ever taught me how. No one ever taught me how" (and there are a few) take away from the experience. You can't tell me that a film with basically one actor doesn'tAmazing to look at, and one of the most (if not the most) suspenseful films I've ever seen. It's truly "edge-of-your-seat" entertainment. Unfortunately, lines like "No one's going to pray for my soul....I've never prayed. No one ever taught me how. No one ever taught me how" (and there are a few) take away from the experience. You can't tell me that a film with basically one actor doesn't need strong dialogue. Expand
  83. Nov 9, 2013
    There is a reason this movie is averaging 96 in Critic Scores and 8.3 in User Scores; It's is a cinematic masterpiece.

I will accept any scores in the range of 7-10 as being reasonable, anything in the green basically, but anyone that is scoring this film lower than a 7 and especially those people giving it 0, 1, 2, 3 etc are just being ridiculous and really shouldn't be allowed to post reviews and ratings in my opinion.

Trust me; this is a film that everyone who enjoys cinema should go and see and if it turns out you don't enjoy this film then trust me, you probably need to have a serious think about how you look at the world and interpret things in it because your take on reality is seriously distorted.

It's not "perfect" but I can't really find any genuinely good reason I'd drop it a full point that I'd feel right about, and certainly not just to appease those types of people who think "no film is 'perfect' so no film should score a 10" or whatever, so I might as well give it 10 because to me in this case I think it's basically earned it and to be totally honest, I'd also like to see that average User Score just a little higher too.

This film is brilliant and thank God the majority of people are smart enough to actually understand why and acknowledge it's greatness.
  84. Oct 14, 2013
    The film is an outstanding success on many levels. The cinematography is phenomenal. You can't help but be deeply immersed in what''s happening. The debris look as if they are coming directly at you. You can feel the desperation in Sandra Bullock's character. This intense feeling wouldn't have been possible if not for the cinematography, as well as Alfonso Cuarón's masterful directing.The film is an outstanding success on many levels. The cinematography is phenomenal. You can't help but be deeply immersed in what''s happening. The debris look as if they are coming directly at you. You can feel the desperation in Sandra Bullock's character. This intense feeling wouldn't have been possible if not for the cinematography, as well as Alfonso Cuarón's masterful directing.

Then there's the acting. George Clooney gives a great performance, but it's Sandra Bullock that truly shines. She gives what is perhaps the most brilliant performance of her career as Dr. Ryan Stone, a woman who lost her daughter in a schoolyard accident, tries to commit suicide amid the hopelessness of her situation, then, in the face of inevitable death, finds the will to survive and live. She deserves, at least, an Oscar nomination for this role.

However, i believe that if a movie is to be considered a classic, like this one is currently being hailed as, It needs to stick in your head for many years after viewing it. And for that, it needs to have many things. One of them, like memorable visuals, the movie does have in spades.

But it doesn't make you see the world in a different light. The movie is about hope, and yet it's message doesn't sink in like in other films with similar subject matter, such as The Shawshank Redemption. It isn't thought-provoking. Dr. Ryan Stone feels underdeveloped. Only Sandra Bullock's exceptional performance breathes life into that bland character, and that bland character is a result of poor dialogue and way-too-simple plot. The score isn't that good as well.

Overall, i really really liked this film. It's technically fantastic. Sandra Bullock is awesome. But you need more than that to create a classic. A little bit overrated.
  85. Nov 25, 2013
    If *anything* goes wrong in space... ANYTHING? You are doomed. This story is so realistically filmed that I left the theater thinking, "we will never send a man to mars..." Wish they'd added a bit more backstory on all of the astronauts, but otherwise loved it.
  86. Oct 23, 2013
    This is definitely a decent movie and keeps you interested, but I really don't get the insane hype and feedback. Even someone at work was like "that was one of the best movies I've ever seen!". I watched it with 2 other people and we were all like, ok just another decent movie, on with our day. Yeah it's pretty good, but not even close to what the hype seems to indicate.
  87. Oct 11, 2013
    This is a really great movie, very intense and emotional throughout the entire movie. The acting is spot on from everyone, and the visuals are very stunning. My only complaint is that the movie is on the short side. Anyone who likes thrillers will love this movie. Anyone interested in space will probably lose their desire to go to space.
  88. Oct 26, 2013
    I just don't get why everyone has a hard on for this movie. There are no interesting characters, Sandra Bullock is about as boring as an astronaut can get, not to mention her complete inability to handle a situation. Her performance is lack luster to say the least, I guess "oscar winning" performances can go to people screaming and gasping fro breath for 60 minutes. The only real personI just don't get why everyone has a hard on for this movie. There are no interesting characters, Sandra Bullock is about as boring as an astronaut can get, not to mention her complete inability to handle a situation. Her performance is lack luster to say the least, I guess "oscar winning" performances can go to people screaming and gasping fro breath for 60 minutes. The only real person that has any value in the movie is Clooney who is also non existent throughout the film. The only thing I praise about this movie is the CGI, there isn't really anything else satisfying about this movie. Expand
  89. Oct 10, 2013
    Gravity is an incredible film. Absolutely incredible. Peerless in direction, Gravity features career defining performances from Bullock and Clooney, absolutely stunning, top-notch special effects and incredibly effective drama that brings this seemingly simplistic idea and narrative to life. But above all, Gravity is the most fantastic space movie ever made.

Gravity is filled with

Gravity is filled with visual splendor, and packed with layers of metaphor and meaning (much of which I am still debating with colleagues on)! I haven't come out of a film for a long while equally blown away and perplexed, in a good way of course. I love films that are appreciable by both audiences: those looking for entertainment (Which they will receive in spades), and those looking for a film that transcends being a film in the sleekest of ways. Other elements of the film are peerless; the cinematography is beautiful, the minimalist score is effective, and the sound design is perfected.

It's hard to describe my feelings towards Gravity without abusing my "positive adjective" collection, but I'll just say the Gravity is pretty darned close to perfect. It's original, intense and very entertaining. It's also highly re-watchable with a purpose; it's packed with genius and beauty.

This is one perilous journey I personally want to experience over and over, deciphering it's layers and themes. It will forever stick in my memory. A one of a kind, incredibly exceptional experience.

Side note: 3D usage transcends Avatar and my personal favorite of the summer Pacific Rim. It's essential to the experience, and proves to be one of the finest in-theater experiences ever.
  90. Oct 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. When I saw a 95 score I said wow! When I SAW the movie I said bow-wow! I am resigned to the fact the only movies being made are special effects, chick flicks and teen hormones gone wild. When you step back and assess what you saw you realize it was a well done National Geographic special with pretenders(actors) No outstanding performances., no imaginative plot. A couple of government space wanderers get in "over" their heads and through the miracle of movies, one survives. The only thing that bothers me more than the $13 we paid was the MILLIONS Clooney and Bullock "accepted" to basically play space puppets. SHAME on them and me for giving them my Expand
  91. Oct 9, 2013
    Few movies manages to resist the urge to simply go a big and load as possible to add dramatic effect; Gravity is a master at doing a lot with as little as possible. From the eerie sounds of being in space to the disorientation of spinning out of control, the atmosphere in Gravity is everything. As someone who is skeptical of 3-D, this is one movie where it really does add much to theFew movies manages to resist the urge to simply go a big and load as possible to add dramatic effect; Gravity is a master at doing a lot with as little as possible. From the eerie sounds of being in space to the disorientation of spinning out of control, the atmosphere in Gravity is everything. As someone who is skeptical of 3-D, this is one movie where it really does add much to the experience and left me feeling that it is best seen as such. There are some cheesy scenes, courtesy of George Clooney, but they do much to add levity to what Sandra Bullock shows as a traumatic and horrifying scenario. All in all, Gravity left me with some of the most memorable and intense scenes I've seen in a movie while doing so little. Expand
  92. Nov 14, 2013
    Gravity is by far the best movie I have seen in years. The special effects ate awesome, the suspense is killer, and the action leaves you stunned. Gravity will earn several Oscars, at least in special effects. And if you do see it, make sure it's in 3D, otherwise you won't enjoy it nearly as much.
  93. Oct 26, 2013
    Incredible special effects including what was done to Bulloch's body. Watch on IMAX 3-D. Everything else in the movie was ridiculous. This is not a science fiction movie but a summer action blockbuster.
  94. Oct 28, 2013
    I'm very disappointed that Metacritic rated this 96? No, not even close! This does not rate up there with the best ever SiFi or space movies ever and that's what 96 infers. There can only be so much drama and thrill building one woman in a space suit can have for 90 minutes and this starts to get old quickly. Worth seeing but nowhere near 96 rating!! Come on Metacritic your better than that?
  95. lcb
    Oct 11, 2013
    I saw this movie in 3D Imax and on the basis of that, I give it a high rating. Had I seen it in a regular format it would not be as high. It is a beautifully shot movie and the special effects are amazing. It is Bullock's movie and she gives a bravura performance. Read a lot of the negative comments about the movie and am amused at how critical they are regarding its realism or lack ofI saw this movie in 3D Imax and on the basis of that, I give it a high rating. Had I seen it in a regular format it would not be as high. It is a beautifully shot movie and the special effects are amazing. It is Bullock's movie and she gives a bravura performance. Read a lot of the negative comments about the movie and am amused at how critical they are regarding its realism or lack of it. Unless they are astronauts, specialists in space engineering or travel, how would they know about its realism and believe-ability? Also, I don't care if they felt Bullock's character appeared weak. Since when do all female characters in movies need to be super heroes. They seem to forget that the Clooney character was an experienced astronaut and she was not. It was her vulnerability and personal story that made her character interesting. I do agree that the plot was simple and I did not find it as thrilling as some did. I doubt that I would have payed the money to see it on a regular screen--just waited for it on subscription TV. I am not a big 3D fan and seldom pay extra to see one, but this was 3D used effectively and was well worth the admission price. Expand
  96. Nov 22, 2013
    a great movie, it sucks you in and keeps you watching for sure. It starts off a little slow at first but the movie flies without you realizing how long it has been playing. Excellent cinematic display and a truly original film. It is nice to have something different from the mediocre trend of movies lately.
  97. Mar 6, 2014
    A pathetic joke !

+ Very good photography, + Very good special effects, + It moves a little for a film in space, + Clooney and Bulloc if you are fans, That's all ! ... +/- Many Oscars, Golden Globes or César ? - No history, - Many physical inconsistencies - No morals or mental reflection, - Pathetic story of sandra Bulloc If we compare with "LOVE" Space time William
    A pathetic joke !

+ Very good photography,
    + Very good special effects,
    + It moves a little for a film in space,
    + Clooney and Bulloc if you are fans,
    That's all ! ...

+/- Many Oscars, Golden Globes or César ?

- No history,
    - Many physical inconsistencies
    - No morals or mental reflection,
    - Pathetic story of sandra Bulloc

If we compare with "LOVE" Space time William Eubank (2011)
    No Newtonian physics problem, No Stars, but a wonderfull movie, a little jewel. and he receive No Oscars, Golden Globes or César ...

Morality : To Have an Oscar is a pathetic Joke !
  98. Nov 15, 2013
    The cinematography is magnificent, the movie certainly has tension, Sandra Bullock does some nice body yoga for the men in the audience but honestly, I found myself caught between boredom and panic, fully knowing what would happen in the end yet spooked by outer space. The hallucination scene with George Clooney was my favorite moment. I'm glad I saw it, but wouldn't see it again.
  99. Nov 16, 2013
    Brilliant movie! Visually stunning, with a storyline that has only two characters, and takes us on a roller coaster ride of suspense for the full length of the running time gets my vote for best movie of the year. Some minor problems with dialogue and character studies, but when I am so fully engaged in the movie that I feel like I am there with the actors, allows me to be forgiving ofBrilliant movie! Visually stunning, with a storyline that has only two characters, and takes us on a roller coaster ride of suspense for the full length of the running time gets my vote for best movie of the year. Some minor problems with dialogue and character studies, but when I am so fully engaged in the movie that I feel like I am there with the actors, allows me to be forgiving of the flaws.

After I left the theater and drove home I could not put on music or talk radio, I needed let the movie stay in my thoughts, uninterrupted, for a while. Another sign of a great movie.
  100. Oct 9, 2013
    There was an article in the LA Times asking if it was the best space movie ever. Let's pause a sec. I know in this day and age we like to say how everything is the best ever but to compare this to 2001 or Star Wars is a bit ridiculous. It does not have the weight (pardon the pun). It is pretty good and quite enjoyable but it is not overly memorable. Some of the devices stretch credibilityThere was an article in the LA Times asking if it was the best space movie ever. Let's pause a sec. I know in this day and age we like to say how everything is the best ever but to compare this to 2001 or Star Wars is a bit ridiculous. It does not have the weight (pardon the pun). It is pretty good and quite enjoyable but it is not overly memorable. Some of the devices stretch credibility as well as the ways the problems are solved. Overall a good movie but let's hold back on the accolades a bit. Expand

1. Reviewed by: James Mottram
    Nov 3, 2013
    A stunning space saga that takes off for new technical frontiers without leaving its humanity behind.
  2. The New Yorker
    Reviewed by: David Denby
    Oct 6, 2013
    Gravity is not a film of ideas, like Kubrick's techno-mystical "2001," but it's an overwhelming physical experience -- a challenge to the senses that engages every kind of dread. [7 Oct. 2013, p.88]
  3. Reviewed by: Dana Stevens
    Oct 4, 2013
    This is not to say that Gravity is a masterpiece: Unlike Cuarón’s extraordinary "Children of Men", it doesn’t quite pull off its ambitious effort to combine formal inventiveness, heart-pounding action, and intimate human storytelling. But it succeeds thrillingly at the first two of those categories, and only misses the mark on the last because it tries a little too hard — which is certainly a welcome respite from the countless sci-fi thrillers that privilege the human story not at all.