Gravity

7.8

1. Oct 8, 2013
    The only thing that holds this film back from being truly perfect are the limitations that are created by the fact that the characters are in space. Sandra Bullock and George Clooney both do a solid job, particularly Bullock, and Cuaron will certainly blow your mind with his camera movement and directorial choices. This is the most visually spectacular movie I've seen since...well, since IThe only thing that holds this film back from being truly perfect are the limitations that are created by the fact that the characters are in space. Sandra Bullock and George Clooney both do a solid job, particularly Bullock, and Cuaron will certainly blow your mind with his camera movement and directorial choices. This is the most visually spectacular movie I've seen since...well, since I can't remember when. This might be the best looking film I've ever seen. My friend and I raved for 30 minutes about the visual after we saw it, non stop. While there are a few cheesy lines and some of the plot is relegated to exposition, I can't see anyone disliking this film. Expand
  2. Nov 25, 2013
    This is proabably one of the few movies I would recommend seeing in theaters, because the specticle can only be saw in theaters. With a few short comings with its star power (George Clooney) and its pretentious themes. Gravity is an awesome survivor story.
  3. Nov 2, 2013
    To be honest I was expecting better. The visuals are impressive but the movie lack a story its just a succession of events to keep the audience interested, but the bad part is that is quite predictable.
  4. Dec 9, 2013
    Very unimpressed. Terrible acting with a super mediocre story makes for a terrible movie. Beautiful CG can not save this movie from awful actors and terrible story. Movie was so bad that I started falling asleep at around 40 minutes in. Would not recommend watching to anyone.
  5. Oct 22, 2013
    This is no transformers or any action packed blockbuster, but is a gripping, intense film that will keep you at the edge of your seat throughout. A refreshing and emotional thrill ride for those riddled with action blockbuster fatigue, you will leave the theatre feeling that it had been worth every cent.

Stand out points of this film include the visual effects, cinematography, and

Stand out points of this film include the visual effects, cinematography, and Sandra Bullocks. It's still in theatres so I definitely recommend watching, in 3D for that extra wow factor.
  6. Nov 10, 2013
    This is a film for the more sensitive among us, and for those that are, this is the closest you will come to actually getting the feelings and sense of being face to face with outer space and death.
    A definite to see at the cinema in 3D, it actually gave me vertigo several times and at the end when I tried to stand up my legs were somewhat jelly like and balance unsure.
    Several have
    Several have commented on the lack of development of the characters, but this for me is not true, and something they are getting confused by because of the unconventional methods of delivering said development. For instance, you learn of the characters through the conversations they are having with each other, and not through being shown a lot through cinematic revealing. This is a purposeful ploy, so that to highlight the secluded nature of outer space, and to place the viewer into the skins of the actors, something I thought worked very well.
    From the moment the film starts we are encouraged to use our ears as well as our eyes to great effect. In the cinema I was in you could have heard a pin drop as the ship approached us for the first time.
    All acting performances were wonderful and the directing superb.
    9 out of 10 for me, losing just one point for a small plot line I thought felt a little tacked on, although I will not mention it hear so as to not give away any spoilers.
  7. Nov 25, 2013
    An visually gorgeous thrill ride. Gravity provides a breathtaking view of the heavens that no other film has been able to provide in decades. Not only is this film a visual showcase, but it's an emotionally draining drama that delivers flawless performances by Sandra Bullock and George Clooney, the script was beautifully written as well. The film's script has been criticized for someAn visually gorgeous thrill ride. Gravity provides a breathtaking view of the heavens that no other film has been able to provide in decades. Not only is this film a visual showcase, but it's an emotionally draining drama that delivers flawless performances by Sandra Bullock and George Clooney, the script was beautifully written as well. The film's script has been criticized for some "cheesy lines," yet, the film Titanic carries some extremely cheesy lines, and that film's script has been hailed as one of the best scripts ever written. This film carries deeper meaning that only those who think about it after seeing it will truly understand. Gravity is an absolute masterpiece, this film will be nominated, if not, win for best picture. If not best picture, then best actress: Sandra Bullock. If not best actress, best special effects. Its a must see. Expand
  8. Nov 17, 2013
    Brilliant movie SFX Are Amazing, Acting is Good, Story Is Interesting, Though lacks in Character Development A Little Bit And it's A Bit Short Other than That It's An Interesting movie
  9. Oct 8, 2013
    The experimental filming style works big time, making you feel immersed in gravity. 3D effects are also incredibly well done. This film would make for the ultimate Universal Studios movie experience (Earthquake/Jaws style). Only negative is the Clooney/Bullock casting could have been better. They were good but not great. Script was also not perfect
  10. Jan 21, 2014
    It's watchable okay, but I wouldn't recommend it for those who wants to watch a movie with action, because it didn't really happen anything big or spectacular in this movie, just small events and boring conversations between the astronauts, my whole family were half-sleeping thought the movie, although that we are big sci-fi fans! The movie had it moments, but they were not long-lasted andIt's watchable okay, but I wouldn't recommend it for those who wants to watch a movie with action, because it didn't really happen anything big or spectacular in this movie, just small events and boring conversations between the astronauts, my whole family were half-sleeping thought the movie, although that we are big sci-fi fans! The movie had it moments, but they were not long-lasted and fell down into a drama-like-boring-conversations. The positive thing about this movie is that it's very well made and that the story is unique, beside the science in the movie, for example that the Chinese station just "fell out of it's orbit" and resulted in destruction and that you freeze instantly when exposed to vacuum, I mean come on, every kid that has an education knows that! and if you don't believe me...just search on the Internet on whats true & false about the science in Gravity!
    Overall is Gravity is a boring movie, even thought the story is great.
    Gravity gets a 5/10
  11. Oct 26, 2013
    Gravity attempts to portray what astronauts would actually encounter on space missions, how space walks would actually unfold, and the hostility of the environment of space towards anything resembling Earthling life.

The ninety or so minutes of Gravity are the linear unfolding of a series of destructive events in the lives of Astronauts Ryan (Sandra Bullock) and Kowalski (George Clooney). Director’s Alfonso Cuarón’s hones in on these destructive events, treating them as a single, passing moment in time. A moment of crisis.

As far as doing anything in space is ever considered routine, Gravity opens with a group of astronauts undertaking what seem to be standard, routine repairs to the outside of their ship. The tone is jovial, if not a little tense as Clooney zips around the ship’s vicinity with a jet pack jokingly. He wants to break the current space walk record of seventy-five minutes. But Mission Control suddenly issues a warning. A massive field of space debris is headed straight for them.

From here on, only chaos reigns as Cuarón begins to eliminate all probable positive outcomes, one by one. After the astronaut’s ship is destroyed beyond repair Ryan and Kowalski attempt to propel themselves a floatable distance to a space station. As they push forward through space’s vacuum, towards their beacon of hope, space’s vastness and hostility are emphasized, along with their minisculity; “I hate space,” says Ryan somewhat lightheartedly. This comes after she has just been precariously saved from a perpetual spinning away into deep space, a particularly claustrophobic moment of the film, or rather, a moment in extreme of claustrophobia’s exact opposite.

Gravity has all the individual parts of a film rated high, near a 10, but once the parts are assembled, the whole is not equal to the parts. Even though the film is shot in space, and is set to depict a realistic portrayal of how events like these could take place, the film is really just about Ryan, a single human’s struggle to survive, and then with this revelation the epic space setting becomes incidental.

Problem: Ryan is not an interesting character. She seems ill prepared for such a dangerous space mission, and when she talks about her daughter, in a moment that I assume is used to attempt to ground the film in reality by showing us the why, we don’t care about her daughter. The current situation at hand is much more interesting. Including this talk about life back home was a mistake that took me out of the moment. I don’t care about Earth here; I care about this amazing crisis taking place just above Earth. A space movie should emphasize themes bigger than the individual. The mission should be more important than the life of the astronaut. Simply making it back to Earth alive is not an exciting enough conclusion.

Although maybe the best of her career, Bullock still delivers a subpar portrayal of a character that is herself subpar. I loved Cuarón’s Children of Men and I feel here Cuarón’s work is great. From a technical perspective, Cuarón’s filmmaking is incredible, the cinematography stunning, the portrayal of space amazing, so what went wrong? Besides a storyline that fails to transcend human matters, a factor that Cuarón may have been able to gloss over under different circumstances, when a film centers on a single actor, and that actor is Sandra Bullock, to quote Yeats “Things fall apart; the center cannot hold.”
  12. Nov 10, 2013
    A cinematic achievement of this generation! In every aspect Gravity seemed to blow me away. With the amazing visual effects, intense story with many heartfelt scenes and finally that 3D. I wish more movies would capture you in the atmosphere of being in space. I especially loved the first person camera at times when you felt as if you were Sandra Bullock scared in space.
    One movie you
    One movie you must see within the decade! This could be starting point in which other movies will make you feel so captivated within the movie! One of the best movies this year!
  13. Feb 12, 2014
    Plain and simple: Boring. So goddamn boring. Definitely does not deserve any of the hype it received. This movie may as well be called Debris, as that is what causes Sandra Bullock to lose her **** in space. Clooney was the best part of the film, when he's not even in it for that long. Visual effects were good but you might as well play a videogame if you wanted to see pretty visuals. NotPlain and simple: Boring. So goddamn boring. Definitely does not deserve any of the hype it received. This movie may as well be called Debris, as that is what causes Sandra Bullock to lose her **** in space. Clooney was the best part of the film, when he's not even in it for that long. Visual effects were good but you might as well play a videogame if you wanted to see pretty visuals. Not the worst movie of 2013, but certainly not the best. Expand
  14. Mar 6, 2014
    You know when a person in a zombie movie is embarrassing incapable and hysteric? This is the same thing but in space. Along an extensive list of thing that will never happen.

It has a good visual and audio if you don't count the loud music on speaking scene. Is an fairly entertaining bad movie to get some laugh. Don't expect any quality because there is none.
  15. Oct 5, 2013
    This fall came a movie that will change the course of how CGI (Computer Generated Imagery) and special effects are looked at in a movie. Alfonso Cuarón's newest masterpiece, "Gravity" is guaranteed to be a game changer in the film industry.

The film features only three people on screen, two of which being the main characters, Sandra Bullock and George Clooney. Bullock’s character Dr. Ryan Stone has had a bad life with her four year old daughter dying, and her husband leaving her. What she doesn't know is soon, her life is about to get a lot worse. Matt Kowalski (George Clooney) is a middle aged man who we know very little about, only early learning that he is a hilarious laid back character. We watch them spend the first sixth of the movie repairing the Hubble in space, which soon comes to a halt when Russian satellite debris comes toward the astronauts faster than the speed of a gunshot. Sooner than later Bullock is left floating on her own in space, and now we have our movie.

With trailers releasing as early as the start of July, the brilliant film took more than four and a half years to make, most of which was the production and editing. With the opening scene, we have that awkward silence in the theater as the film has no audio demonstrating not a single sound in space. This is another impressive move by Cuarón, most viewers don’t pick up on. He used the quietness of space and put in near heart-pounding scenes. At these times, you could literally hear your own heart beating rapidly during the truly intense times which happened to be the majority of the film. I did happen to take note of a few slow points in the film though.

A couple times in the movie would be one camera angle of the earth, or a shot of Clooney smiling. These shots would last for over a minute. Just a single of these would've been fine, but there was at least three, with the film just barely reaching its 90 minute length. I think that if in a few years someone would ask about Gravity, I hope that no one talks about the acting or story. With this said, I think that the fact that the movie was shot on earth with gravity is the amazing part. It’s breathtaking view and real feel is what people will be talking about. The over 470 person effect crew could've easily made any movie extremely realistic. The fact that it was about space with stars, and the (three person) cast floating, took my respect for them up a large notch.

The plot wasn't unique, being just another film where we watch a character try to survive, like 127 hours. I don't think it would get even close to the score it has been receiving if it took place on earth, or with lower quality effects. There were times that Bullocks acting wasn't very realistic, or there was a flaw in the writing, but other than that I was overly impressed and surprised with the turns the film took, that the trailer didn't show. Gravity is a must see, but only for its flawless effects in IMAX 3D. Don't even bother seeing it on a regular screen because it is nowhere close to the visuals experienced in 3D. Overall I thoroughly enjoyed Gravity, and think that Alfonso Cuarón just earned the respect, and awards he deserves.
  16. Oct 7, 2013
    I'm not sure why people are so enamored with this film. It's pretty good, but not spectacular. George Clooney was too much his typical self to give him much credit for acting. Sandra Bullock perhaps pushed into new territory as far as her acting goes, but when her scenes required genuine emotion, she was hardly convincing. The best thing this film has going for it is neither the scriptI'm not sure why people are so enamored with this film. It's pretty good, but not spectacular. George Clooney was too much his typical self to give him much credit for acting. Sandra Bullock perhaps pushed into new territory as far as her acting goes, but when her scenes required genuine emotion, she was hardly convincing. The best thing this film has going for it is neither the script nor the acting, nor even the direction or pacing, but the visual effects. Expand
  17. Nov 8, 2013
    Edgy and ground breaking We felt this film delivered much more than initially thought possible from 2 actors and a basic concept. The movie keeps you connected and on the edge of your seat for pretty much the whole experience. Top notch work by everyone involved!
  18. Oct 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm giving this a 91/100. The movie is beautifully shot and is exciting to watch. It's a testament to Alfonso Cuaron. However, there are some major flaws with the movie that make me feel that it should be rated significantly lower than a 96. First, the writing is bad. It was written by the Cuaron brothers, and I'm not sure if they are professional writers, but there are some major flaws in the writing. For instance, when Sandra Bullock should be breathing slowly to save oxygen, the characters find excuses to talk until their tanks are too low. Second, the movie is incredibly unrealistic in that she is jumping from space station to space station as if they are all only within a few hundred feet of each other. Then, the space debris always come at the perfect time to add suspense to the movie. The movie seems somewhat hollow as it won't leave the audience thinking about anything after it's over it's a simple, although well executed 70 minute modest thriller. I was never really worried for Sandra Bullock's character I didn't really care if she lived or died. It's just a cheap movie. But, the effects are great and I think it probably made it seem like Space more than any other movie before. Expand
  19. Oct 6, 2013
    Exceptional portrayal of the human spirit in both frailty and spirit under the dire stress of life and death scenarios. Stunning special effects and amazing cinematography throughout. Good tempo in the ebb and flow of action and human aspects and never really overdone in trying to add comedy as some Sandra Bullock movies have done. The ending could have been a little better, but worksExceptional portrayal of the human spirit in both frailty and spirit under the dire stress of life and death scenarios. Stunning special effects and amazing cinematography throughout. Good tempo in the ebb and flow of action and human aspects and never really overdone in trying to add comedy as some Sandra Bullock movies have done. The ending could have been a little better, but works for the movie. Though it was a little flat. Highly recommend in IMAX 3-D. Expand
  20. Oct 8, 2013
    Great movie with awesome visuals superb acting and intense atmosphere. Cinematic is beautifully filmed, you feel like you are with Dr. Ryan in every scene. and Definitely an Oscar contender in multiple categories!
  21. Oct 8, 2013
    Intense and gripping! This movie was shot as a simple survival story in space... but I connected to it even more at a much deeper level. The way that the cinematography was shot, I felt I was in space floating with Sandra Bullock's character, Dr. Ryan Stone... that was a technical achievement in itself... But I was also able to feel what it was like to be in the mind of her character
  22. Oct 10, 2013
    GRAVITY: Amazing to see how somebody can choose such topic to film and even surprising how beautifully implemented it Simply Wow Sheer technical finesse with 'awe' This movie fills in void created for space odyssey kind movie in past few years Its no electrifying drama or high octane action Its a simple documentary style movie that grips with its portrayal of simple emotions of fear,GRAVITY: Amazing to see how somebody can choose such topic to film and even surprising how beautifully implemented it Simply Wow Sheer technical finesse with 'awe' This movie fills in void created for space odyssey kind movie in past few years Its no electrifying drama or high octane action Its a simple documentary style movie that grips with its portrayal of simple emotions of fear, win, will, beauty in a magnificent way and technology Running length of less than 2 hrs Favor yourself to this visual treat Must Watch ..

RATING: *

23. Oct 24, 2013
    I think this movie is a masterpiece and the best use of 3D technology I have seen. Cuaron is an extraordinary director and film maker, I certainly hope he gets the Oscar for best film, I had not enjoyed a movie so much in a long time, I think it will be a landmark for generations. Go see it in 4DX.
  24. Oct 13, 2013
    The movie was amazing and exciting,performoance's sandra bullock was excellent worthy academy awards just 2 words "simply wonderful", it's the best movie have had the film director "Alfonso Cuaron"
  25. Nov 14, 2013
    Implausible plot, implausible characters, weak symbolism. Boring, not tense. Earns a 5 for special effects. Essentially Cast Away in space with less coherent character development.
  26. Nov 16, 2013
    Thoroughly enjoyable action thriller that kept me on the edge of my seat throughout! Great visuals (probably the first film since avatar to make good use of 3D) and even better sound effects. Bullock and George Clooney nail their roles but it is ultimately the fast paced intense action sequences that earns my recommendation to watch this film. One of the best of 2013, go out and see thisThoroughly enjoyable action thriller that kept me on the edge of my seat throughout! Great visuals (probably the first film since avatar to make good use of 3D) and even better sound effects. Bullock and George Clooney nail their roles but it is ultimately the fast paced intense action sequences that earns my recommendation to watch this film. One of the best of 2013, go out and see this on the big screen while you still can. Expand
  27. Nov 25, 2013
    Magnificent. Perfect visuals, direction, atmosphere, and music. An absolute Tour de Force from director Alfonso Cuaron. Just a modern space masterpiece. Its no Solaris or 2001: A Space Odyssey, but its destined to become a classic.
  28. Nov 12, 2013
    Gravity is simply an incredible (emotional) journey. I saw it in IMAX and it completely blew my mind. I just sat there and stared at the beautiful scenery. The cinematography is amazing, and it'll surely win an Academy Award for Emmanuel Lubezki for this masterful work. I can only praise this movie really. The acting (Bullock is excellent), the music, the atmosphere... it's nearGravity is simply an incredible (emotional) journey. I saw it in IMAX and it completely blew my mind. I just sat there and stared at the beautiful scenery. The cinematography is amazing, and it'll surely win an Academy Award for Emmanuel Lubezki for this masterful work. I can only praise this movie really. The acting (Bullock is excellent), the music, the atmosphere... it's near perfection. Go see it in IMAX if you haven't already, you won't regret it. It's easily one of the best films of the year, and probably one of the best I've ever seen. Expand
  29. Oct 29, 2013
    A fantastic, intense and gripping sci-fi film! The camerawork, the visual effects acting and pacing were all perfect, and the two lead roles were really good! I don't know why some people seem to dislike it; It truly is worth seeing.
  30. Oct 29, 2013
    I know that I will get drowned out by almost 900 reviews that have been written by Metacritic users for this film. That just goes to show how popular this film was. I have to repeat what everyone else is chanting: the hype is fully justified, as this is NOT your run-off-the-mill sci-fi movie. This is a movie that excels not only in its mind-blowing special effects, but also in itsI know that I will get drowned out by almost 900 reviews that have been written by Metacritic users for this film. That just goes to show how popular this film was. I have to repeat what everyone else is chanting: the hype is fully justified, as this is NOT your run-off-the-mill sci-fi movie. This is a movie that excels not only in its mind-blowing special effects, but also in its cinematic value. This is, in fact, one of the best movies that has come out in the past five years or so, and is definitely worth a trip to the theater, the 3D glasses, and a large buttered popcorn with a soda. A must-see for all movie goers. Expand
  31. Nov 2, 2013
    i thought that i was having phisic class! great visual effects,sandra bullocks its great.
    Clooney doesn't apear to much but the part that we was acting,was funny.
  32. Nov 20, 2013
    Few other movies can exploit the empathy the audience is capable of feeling for the protagonist of a movie so well. And when said protagonist is placed in a situation so dire, so desperate, and so lonely, you're with her on the experience the whole way through; and that experience, doesn't have a single dull moment. Simply outstanding.
  33. Nov 8, 2013
    Gripping film with magnificent visuals and a compelling story with an abundant of suspenseful scenes perfectly woven together in this sure-to-be classic
  34. Nov 9, 2013
    This is undisputedly one of the most well written movies of the year. It only has two characters (spoiler alert!) Yet it remained relatively funny with George Clooneys signature comic relief. The reason for this unusually high rating is no surprise. I find it interesting just from personal experience that people who see this movie will either LOVE this movie, or will puke during all of theThis is undisputedly one of the most well written movies of the year. It only has two characters (spoiler alert!) Yet it remained relatively funny with George Clooneys signature comic relief. The reason for this unusually high rating is no surprise. I find it interesting just from personal experience that people who see this movie will either LOVE this movie, or will puke during all of the nauseating scenes of space crashes and uncontrolled flight. I recommend you see this movie, just bring a barf bag! Expand
  35. Nov 12, 2013
    that movie is as short as it give you the meaning that the normal classic movie did survive in that movie wasn't easier as normal movie which put hero in a large distance in a real situation with a scientifically problem make you believe the situation and otherwise it's make a lot of people hasten to be astronaut that made my think that is the technology of the movie is so strong and inthat movie is as short as it give you the meaning that the normal classic movie did survive in that movie wasn't easier as normal movie which put hero in a large distance in a real situation with a scientifically problem make you believe the situation and otherwise it's make a lot of people hasten to be astronaut that made my think that is the technology of the movie is so strong and in the monument Expand
  36. Nov 12, 2013
    Original, unpredictable, edge of your seat movie. The true terror of isolation is explored in excruciating detail Director Alfonso Cuarón knows how to stretch out the sheer horror of impending death and boy does he hold you right there, so you can taste every fleeting moment. Excellently paced and completely sucker punch filled, Gravity is a breath of fresh air that cinema needs and soOriginal, unpredictable, edge of your seat movie. The true terror of isolation is explored in excruciating detail Director Alfonso Cuarón knows how to stretch out the sheer horror of impending death and boy does he hold you right there, so you can taste every fleeting moment. Excellently paced and completely sucker punch filled, Gravity is a breath of fresh air that cinema needs and so does Sandra Bullock, who shines as as stricken astronaut Dr. Ryan Stone. Brilliant. Expand
  37. Nov 13, 2013
    Gravity reminded me of the Disney movie from 2000 called "Dinosaur" The reason is because this was a visually stunning movie. Absolutely beautiful in every way. But once people started talking I didn't like it. That's how Dinosaur should have been and that's how Gravity should have been. Just give me rad shots of people floating in space in 3d and I'm happy, the story was ok, but IGravity reminded me of the Disney movie from 2000 called "Dinosaur" The reason is because this was a visually stunning movie. Absolutely beautiful in every way. But once people started talking I didn't like it. That's how Dinosaur should have been and that's how Gravity should have been. Just give me rad shots of people floating in space in 3d and I'm happy, the story was ok, but I just couldn't imagine anyone in space acting all weird like that. I didn't really care about the characters, but I really care about real astronauts. So that's my feeling on Gravity, watch it with earplugs and make up your own story. It will be a wonderful piece of visual art and a lot of fun. George Clooney is always cool though, I gotta give him props! Expand
  38. Nov 15, 2013
    This movie is much more than a couple of moron astronauts trying to get back to earth after a space disaster. This film is really about the choices that you make in life, it is about cause and effect, it is about the idea that we are walking on the razor's edge always. If you pay attention to what happens in the film you see that greed and ambition and hubris will come back and bite you.This movie is much more than a couple of moron astronauts trying to get back to earth after a space disaster. This film is really about the choices that you make in life, it is about cause and effect, it is about the idea that we are walking on the razor's edge always. If you pay attention to what happens in the film you see that greed and ambition and hubris will come back and bite you. Karma is a biatch. Expand
  39. Jan 27, 2014
    Visuals, atmosphere, Immersion is Triple AAA no doubt. Cinema Technology showcasing its unlimited potential as we watch stunning visuals in IMAX. However, visuals alone cannot make a movie good. The storyline was unfortunately below average with VERY VERY weak character development. Im not saying the acting was bad.. its just there is absolutely nothing interesting about their characters.Visuals, atmosphere, Immersion is Triple AAA no doubt. Cinema Technology showcasing its unlimited potential as we watch stunning visuals in IMAX. However, visuals alone cannot make a movie good. The storyline was unfortunately below average with VERY VERY weak character development. Im not saying the acting was bad.. its just there is absolutely nothing interesting about their characters. This movie definately does not deserve a 0 or 1 rating, but im afraid more than 5 or 6 is pushing it. The movie had the potential, it just did not deliver Expand
  40. Jan 23, 2014
    One of the most over-rated films in the modern era. At times truly ungripping, this film is just about saved by some breath-taking cinematography. But you can only gawp at breaking machinery and planet Earth for so long, and after about 20 minutes the film settles into a distinctly average film and much like the main character I can't wait to return to Earth.
  41. Jul 1, 2014
    Some scenes look beautiful, but that's about all I can say that's positive. The laws of physics are broken several times, in the first collision, the guy who was exposed to the vacuum of space should have exploded due to the pressure difference, in the process of docking with the several space stations it's highly unlikely that the difference in velocities would be anything less than theSome scenes look beautiful, but that's about all I can say that's positive. The laws of physics are broken several times, in the first collision, the guy who was exposed to the vacuum of space should have exploded due to the pressure difference, in the process of docking with the several space stations it's highly unlikely that the difference in velocities would be anything less than the speed of a bullet.

For a 91 minute movie one would not expect to be bored and wishing for it's termination, but that is how I felt about this movie. The story of this movie consists solely on a series of extremely unlikely and seemingly inescapable impasses, that 'somehow' are overcome.
  42. Feb 22, 2014
    Now obviously I don't have to say anything about the visuals of this movie and how astounding they are because you'll hear that from anyone who sees it. I would also say Sandra Bullocks acting is very well done despite not getting the best written character. The script in my opinion is the biggest weak point to this movie for me. The first time the debris hits them I was blown away, and INow obviously I don't have to say anything about the visuals of this movie and how astounding they are because you'll hear that from anyone who sees it. I would also say Sandra Bullocks acting is very well done despite not getting the best written character. The script in my opinion is the biggest weak point to this movie for me. The first time the debris hits them I was blown away, and I was really excited and anxious about if they would make it. But then it just seems t repeat itself over and over again and I started to care a little less after each bad thing that happens to her. This is one of the unluckiest people ever. Worth a watch for the amazing visuals but that pretty much the only reason to watch it, just like Avatar. Expand
  43. Feb 11, 2014
    Visually, I've never seen anything quite like it. My problem was that I I had a hard time turning off the technician side of my brain. I treated this film as a scenario rather than sci-fi, and frankly, I didn't buy it. (And from the comments I heard recently by the astronauts aboard the ISS who saw the film, neither did they.) Too many laws of physics broken for my taste.

Bullock did a

Bullock did a fairly good job as Ryan Stone, but Clooney's alpha-male bluster made me want to wretch.

Great effects don't make a great movie. They are supposed to enhance a strong story and 'Gravity' is certainly lacking in that department.

Having said all of that, I was entertained for 90 minutes, so I can't trash this film completely...but a Best Picture nomination...you gotta be kidding me.

Gotta call a spade a spade...'Gravity' is at best a great idea for a simulation ride at Universal Studios, nothing more.
  44. JFT
    Feb 1, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Whilst the premise is fairly original and the acting perfectly adequate, the overall plot comes off as repetitive and dragged out. After the third round of deadly debris it becomes hard to sympathize for the protagonist, and the dire, hopeless situation becomes almost humourous as she floats away to the third space station, only just managing to escape the debris, of course. The saving grace of this film is the overall cinema experience it provides, though given the bland plot its replay value is practically non-existent. The DVD and Blu-Ray copies of 'Gravity' will sit on the shelf gathering dust. Expand
  45. Feb 21, 2014
    Gravity (2013): Utterly Weightless

Gravity (2013): Utterly Weightless

Let's just get this out of the way up front- if you're to garner even one iota of enjoyment out of Gravity it must be viewed on the largest screen possible donning a pair of 3D glasses. Surround sound is also imperative but if you've managed a Big Screen 3D setup, odds are you've got the audio side of the equation covered. Experiencing Gravity in any other way is simply not an option. I was fortunate enough to see Gravity on a 55" active 3D display in Dolby 5.1 (my home theater setup) and that would be considered the bare minimum requirement. It's certainly no Imax. Imagine watching the latest Pixar flick on a portable black and white monitor with the sound muted. Sound like fun? No? Then don't bother watching this in the comfort of your living room unless your home theater meets AT LEAST the previously stated requirements. This really can't be stressed enough. Onto the review...

2001, Alien, Moon. These films are considered classics of American cinema for very good reason, they all have superb story arcs bolstered by deep, rich character development. Alfonso Cuarón’s latest theatrical release, Gravity, has neither. Much like the empty environment the film takes place in, Gravity offers up breathtaking visuals but is utterly devoid of anything else.

Instead of a proper film, we're "treated" to an artistic experiment in the use of state of the art visual and audio effects to induce an intimate form of awe and panic. Something a standard 2D stereo film can't possibly replicate. And, as such, it's a smashing success. In one especially intense scene early on during Act I, Cuarón utilizes his trademarked long form single camera shot sequence (13 minutes to be exact) to make us feel the empty helplessness that Dr. Ryan (played adequately by Sandra Bullock) is surely experiencing. It works to great effect, and don't be surprised if a bit of sweat drips from your brow in the process.

So far, so good and we feel invested in our own survival. Not Dr. Ryan's survival mind you, she doesn't exist so much as a character but more of a human prop to advance the films running time. No, the clever use of 3D photography has us invested far more in our own well being then either that of Dr. Ryan or Matt Kowalsky (again, adequately played by George Clooney). I, for one, have felt neither dread nor danger in the cinema or my own couch outside of this expertly crafted opening sequence.

And then...nothing. This pony has flawlessly performed it's single trick. And it is quite the trick, but not something that can sustain any amount of interest past the 30 minute mark. I take pride in writing spoiler free reviews, so suffice it to say Gravity takes place in space (that much should already be abundantly clear), while "space stuff" sporadically explodes silently, life support mechanisms fail, and our two protagonists fight to make their way back to Cape Canaveral, or any place on Earth really, in one piece.

While a superficial attempt at character development is made by the filmmakers to inject Dr. Ryan and Kowalsky with heart and soul, it doesn't work. The failure to make us care about the films only two human assets is Gravity's greatest weakness. Will Ryan and Kowalsky triumph over the terrors of being stranded in space when their only ride back home has been devastated, or will they float endlessly into the dark abyss until they die slowly of asphyxiation? We have no emotional investment tied to either character, so who cares if they live or die? Maybe Kowalsky is a pedophile who deserves it. I don't know anything about him other than he was at Mardi Gras in 1987 and likes to talk about it.

Ultimately, Gravity is a visual spectacle that elevates the use of 3D in moviemaking to new heights, much like James Cameron did with Avatar. The difference being Cameron told a story, one that we actually cared about. The same can't be said for Gravity.

As much as the movie going audience and critics alike bemoan the use of 3D in modern filmmaking, Gravity shows us that, when done properly, the addition of a third dimension draws us in much closer to the story being told. But if that story isn't engaging and the characters aren't captivating, no amount of floating wrenches and exploding spaceships will transform a lackluster movie into a good one.

I love 3D and hope Gravity's success spurs a second renaissance for the fading technology. If nothing else, this film proves without question that 3D can draw viewers into a movie in a way that standard two dimensions never could. What 3D will never be able to do, however, is create an interesting story where one simply doesn't exist, as is the case with Gravity.

If you have the means to experience this film the way it was intended, you should absolutely do so. It very well may change your opinion on the importance of 3D in movie making. Just don't go in expecting a good movie, because Gravity isn't one.
  46. Feb 15, 2014
    Before seeing this movie in theaters, I had a feeling that it was going to be bland. I was right. The 14-word summary on Metacritic ("After debris destroys their space shuttle, two astronauts desperately try to return to Earth.") pretty much sums up the entire, barely-there plot of this movie. With only a handful on on-screen characters, and very little dialogue, the 91 minute runtime ofBefore seeing this movie in theaters, I had a feeling that it was going to be bland. I was right. The 14-word summary on Metacritic ("After debris destroys their space shuttle, two astronauts desperately try to return to Earth.") pretty much sums up the entire, barely-there plot of this movie. With only a handful on on-screen characters, and very little dialogue, the 91 minute runtime of this movie consisted of floating sequences, dull periods of silence, and more floating sequences. While this movie excelled in developing a realistic and encompassing space environment, it is not a movie I would ever see again. Expand
  47. Dec 21, 2014
    I apologize, but this movie seems to be made for stupid people.
    The only praise anybody ever gives this film is how "visually stunning" it is. It seems as if plenty of intelligent people have mentally devolved after seeing Gravity, because apparently substance no longer matters, and visuals are enough to make a good movie.
    The characters in Gravity don't need to be there. I might as well
    I apologize, but this movie seems to be made for stupid people.
    The characters in Gravity don't need to be there. I might as well have watched a movie about pieces of metal floating in space. Oh wait, they have that! It's called "Space Junk"! You know, I heard that was the original working title for this movie, too!
    The story sucks, to put it plainly. Sandra Bullock's story is completely generic and uninteresting, and pretty much occupies the entire film after the rather intense opening. Let me be clear, I don't want to dispute that the movie is breathtaking on a technical level, but without any interesting motives or characters, and absolutely zero valuable ideas or concepts expressed, who cares? Apparently everyone. Go watch Transformers, you mouth breathers.
    Graphics don't make the game good, pretty colors don't make the painting good, and being catchy doesn't make a song good. Visuals don't make a movie good. Sometimes, they make it awful. Gravity is awful.
  48. Mar 30, 2014
    I am shocked how bad this movie is, taking into account all the hype that's in the air. It looks good, but the plot is weak and trivial. Also, for the sake of the plot, science is just ignored in few scenes. How exactly you ask ? Well, picturing wrong the force of GRAVITY is a good example! Btw, the title is very loosely refering to the movie, it doesn't have much sense.
    Again, if you
    Again, if you like CGI effects and that's good enough you will be happy. If that's not enough, save 90 mins of your life.
  49. Apr 4, 2014
    One of the worst films I've seen. Cinematography excellent but plot was beyond weak! I was waiting for a twist at the end that would salvage something from my hour and a half of viewing but even the end was rubbish! Far fetched, scientific flawed, but acted well and the sound guys did an amazing job also. Weak storyline ruined what could have been - but definately wasn't - a first class film.
  50. May 4, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Growing up in Flower Mound, Texas, I quickly discovered that there was very little to do for a teenager without much money. If you weren't hungry for some fast food or in the mood to window shop, you might as well go home and watch television. Thankfully for me, an AMC Movie Theater opened in Highland Village not even 5 minutes away from where I live in 2007. It is very difficult to try to explain just how many afternoons and evenings I have spent there with friends or family seeing the new hit movie. Visiting there at least every other weekend, I must have spent at least $1,000 since it opened. Seven years of the good, the bad, and the ugly, and by now, I might even be considered an unofficial movie critic.
    So, a couple months ago I heard from some friends and family members about this exciting new film, Gravity. Critics raved calling it the greatest movie of 2013, destined for glory, and certain it would be considered an instant classic for years to come. I was skeptical, but they were right after all, at least about the awards. Just a little while ago, Gravity won Best Cinematography, Best Editing, and Best Director at the 2014 Oscars. By the end of the night Gravity had won seven Oscars, an impressive feat. I never thought that the trailer for some space movie with Bullock and Clooney looked particularly good, but by this point I had to see it, and so I did.
    Gravity was one of the most confused and predictable movies I have seen in the last couple of years. The whole idea of the movie for those unfamiliar is that while on a spacewalk, Dr. Ryan Stone (Bullock) and her team are hit by debris from a Russian satellite that has mysteriously exploded. Unfortunately, Dr. Stone becomes the sole survivor of the impact and must try to get home without help from NASA. This is where things start to get really confusing, as there is almost no explanation as to why no one can help Stone with the establishment of a simple radio communication. But hey, it’s a movie after all so we can look past a basic plot hole. Since the film takes place in the quiet void of space, much of the plot advancement is based entirely off of Stone’s own internal struggle of getting back to earth, and the fear that she might not be able to. However if you were hoping for a main character who is full of life and determined to fight for her life, you’re looking at the wrong movie entirely. Stone apparently has no family or friends and according to her, no one cares if she lives or dies. As if the plot wasn't struggling enough, we now have a main character that doesn’t really want to try to survive and is content to just sit in her spacecraft and wait for the inevitable. Yes, that is actually part of the movie which goes on for about 15 minutes. Earlier I mentioned that not only is the plot confusing, but it’s stupidly predictable. Once you watch the first couple of “close calls” that Stone has, you realize that that’s the entire basis of the movie. Stone simply cannot perform a single task well, so by the last half of the movie, you can accurately predict how events will play out since you know that not only is the main character an incompetent buffoon, but she’s also the luckiest person in existence. That being said, the visuals were interesting and oddly vibrant for such a drab setting. In the end though, I found Gravity to be emotionally stale, entirely expected, and a characterless excuse for some sort of space adventure. I would recommend avoiding this movie altogether, but if you must see it, borrow it from a friend or watch it on the internet. You’re better off spending $10 on a really tasty sandwich, at least that doesn't come with a side of disappointment.
  51. Jul 6, 2014
    This movies does not deserve a overall score of 96. This movie is nothing more than a pretty roller coaster ride. Outside of the visuals, the script is terrible. C+ movie AT BEST
  52. Jun 9, 2014
    Oh God I got so bored while watching this movie! I mean like stale dialogues and heavy breathing constitutes almost 80% of the film. There were a few good scenes but apart from that it was painful to watch. And no I'm not talking about sympathising with the characters, I mean like real mental pain that I suffered while watching this movie. Performances are so poor that it perfectlyOh God I got so bored while watching this movie! I mean like stale dialogues and heavy breathing constitutes almost 80% of the film. There were a few good scenes but apart from that it was painful to watch. And no I'm not talking about sympathising with the characters, I mean like real mental pain that I suffered while watching this movie. Performances are so poor that it perfectly complements the overall movie :P Expand
  53. Jun 13, 2014
    Worst Movie of the Decade. Why was it nominated for Oscars in the first place? In understand why they won best visual effects in a motion picture. But Really who enjoys this stuff?
  54. Jul 4, 2014
    Now "Gravity" is truly amazing, but it is only worth watching in 3D and on the biggest screen available. Otherwise, non of its cinematic magic and brilliance will reach You.
  55. Nov 8, 2014
    Tame and Lame! You Have Got To Be Kidding Me! Where's the Rest of the Story? When Gravity ended my friend and I looked at each other and said simultaneously: "That's It?" We both thought the movie was far from over! It's the first time in years I had to literally apologize for picking such a lousy movie for a friend to see!

Sandra Bullock's acting was terrible and unconvincing. And, she

Sandra Bullock's acting was terrible and unconvincing. And, she looked like she was constipated most of the time. George Clooney came across just too perfect for such a life and death situation. He was too much like a saint in outer space!

I also felt mightily deceived by both the film's movie trailer and by the official news media critics that fawned all over this pitiful movie! Gravity is so tame and lame you could take a child to see it without a second thought! It certainly won't offend a soul on planet earth!

But worst of all, was the ending! After you a watch a film you want to feel like there was a beginning, middle and end. In Gravity your jaw is left hanging because there's was no satisfying ending. My friend and I both felt like we were in the the middle of the story when the film ended! BORING!
  56. Nov 18, 2014
    Wow. This movie is quite simply unbearable to watch. While the visuals are compelling and groundbreaking, the script is so horribly mundane, cliche, and unbelievable that the film comes off as unintentionally comic material. George Clooney does the best with what he is given; however, his character's arc is so brief it leaves you wanting more than just Sandra Bullock in a tight tank top.Wow. This movie is quite simply unbearable to watch. While the visuals are compelling and groundbreaking, the script is so horribly mundane, cliche, and unbelievable that the film comes off as unintentionally comic material. George Clooney does the best with what he is given; however, his character's arc is so brief it leaves you wanting more than just Sandra Bullock in a tight tank top. Furthermore, not only is the entire film's premise a stretch of basic space science, the ending is extremely unrewarding and empty. Please, save yourself some brain cells and some time, and choose something else to watch. Expand
  57. Nov 7, 2015
    .....boring. i hate everyone for making me think it'd be good to watch. seriously **** all of you. I'm never gonna watch this piece of **** again.....
  58. Feb 16, 2015
    boring movie, good looking if not enough, if i want see earth from space without history, i can see nasa channel. anyway,this movie is worth see it, just for the awesome images from space. you can put mute.
  59. Mar 31, 2015
    Very boring. Most of time you hear awful breathing. Sandra in outer space - a very doubtful decision. while watching you wait something interesting, but this movie doesn't show something worth watching.
  60. Oct 8, 2013
    This movie sucked. Badly. The first 20minutes are cool and have a great cinematic feel. (Saw it in IMAX 3D)
    The film quickly goes away from these cinematic views to unravel the story which is pathetic and told by terrible acting.
    Very, very poor film. After 30 minutes you've had enough of this weak woman to want to leave the theater. It is aggravating to watch. Giving it a 2 for the

Giving it a 2 for the first 20minutes of cinematics.
  61. Dec 12, 2013
    One of the most overrated, boring, stupid films I have seen in a long long time. The only redeeming thing was the special effects. Everything else was ridiculous, stupid and boring. I actually wanted to walk out half way though, couldn't care less whether or not she survived at the end.
  62. Ndi
    Nov 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. What a turd. TUUUUURD.

Stupid physics, plenty mistakes, personal drama that was completely unnecessary, long, drawn out, awkward pauses where they had to fill with monologues,

How does this movie even rated anything with critics? Has nobody any integrity left? I understand I get to look at Sandra Bullok's ass, but seriously, she's 49. Work out or not, 49. And for that cash, SFX was wavy at best, they had not one physicist on site (feels like he quit midway through) that could tell them that people aren't dolls and if you bow out a hatch while holding it and it thows you off, it also breaks your arm, rips the suit, and damages the airlock. Hence they cycle thing.

While she is "feeling better" about having air, the poor bastard outside was suffocating. I know they couldn't afford Clooney but come on.

Every time she gets undressed, she throws away clothes like she's in her bathroom. Keep the f*** suit, idiot, you're in space and it has AIR. You never know when you need air.

The ISS catches fire, she ignores it (while splashing water inside because what the hell, it's not like they need EVERY panel), then she fails to put out the fire because she doesn't understand reaction, then the ISS blows up and she says "I hate space". B*tch, at the time the movie happens the ISS is the single greatest achievement of the human race and you are supposed to be a scientist and you, YOU f*cked it up. YOU missed the fire, YOU couldn't operate an extinguisher, YOU killed the ISS. At this point, I'm hoping she makes it, I want her hanged.

Anyone with 6 months training can operate a NASA vehicle, fix Hubble, fly ISS's Soyuz, execute procedures in Russian, launch escape pods in Chinese because all you need is a bit of mashing of buttons I don't know why they keep that long training thing. Any half-stupid, is-sick-in-space, suicidal-tendencies 50 year old female can operate any and all space stuff, because space stuff is the same.

Station blows up, there is a billion pieces of shrapnel, 50 hit the camera, 20 hit my eyes in 3D, 140 shred the pods, NONE touch Soyuz, her, or any other important stuff.

She has been attacked by debris twice, fire once, lack of air once, tethered by chute once, and threatened several times, she never hurries. NEVER. To keep that zero-G feel, no button is ever pressed fast, no screw done soon, even when she sees the cloud of stuff coming at her, she steps out of the pod and the camera does a lazy 360. Sure, 90 seconds to impact, take the view.

I could go on for ages, this is a stupid, stupid movie, with a stupid premise, bad re-entry angles, and bad writing.

BAD WRITING.

What was that c*ap about her dead daughter? Did that pan out? No. Just another detail to make me feel sorry for her. Well it didn't work. By the time she touched down, I was hoping she drowned, and so did half the theater. She almost drowned in a space suit. Do you know how hard that is?

I hate critics. Pounding action? No pounding action. Total of 5 minutes of action. Have you forgotten 15 minutes of pulling Ryan through space? Tell me about yourself, Ryan, we don't have budget for more than this. Intimate human storytelling? My daughter is dead, my dog died, I'm depressed. Boo hoo, such a deep human connection we have now. It's not like it's artificially planted, like the faceless guy with picture of family. Or the scattered pictures of families on every single dead guy in the Horizon. And personal toys.

There is such a thing as pulling every string of my heart and it is sad.

How can you give this dump a good score?
  63. Oct 5, 2013
    Given the rave reviews, this film was disappointing. In 3D & Imax, it was disappointing 3D, but no question the visuals were impressive, outer space, how could it not be, so see it in IMAX if you can.

I felt little empathy for the characters as we didn't get to know them first and Sandra Bullock's character was a downer, how did she ever qualify as an astronaut? She was suffering from depression!

The plot and character development was melodramatic, and the dialogue stilted., given the character's' situation.

Worth seeing but don't drink the coolade!
  64. Oct 6, 2013
    I would never waste the time to do this ever in my life, but for the first time, I had to register on this website just to give a review of this movie, first of all, If you're not affected by it, 3d should be your first and only option to see this movie. This is one movie that I followed on imdb as it climbed up from 8.4 to 8.8 now on its ratings. I have never been so stunned. This movieI would never waste the time to do this ever in my life, but for the first time, I had to register on this website just to give a review of this movie, first of all, If you're not affected by it, 3d should be your first and only option to see this movie. This is one movie that I followed on imdb as it climbed up from 8.4 to 8.8 now on its ratings. I have never been so stunned. This movie is breathtaking, there's no way to describe this movie to convince you to go watch it. This movie is one of the very first of its kind and makes you think when watching rather than making it too obvious like other movies nowadays. This movie got me on the edge of my seat, I was just mesmerized at how a movie could be so good. WOOOOW!!!, special effects, acting, breathtaking visuals, fiction at its best and good idea. This is one of the very first movie that made me want to pay again in the same theater and wait to watch the next time it was showing the same day. YOU HAVE TO SEE THIS MOVIEEEEEEEE!!!!!, IT'S NOT JUST WHAT PEOPLE SAY. It's interesting, brilliant and drags you into it's world more and more, devouring you and feeding you pleasure. Movie recommended without thinking twice or hesitating, definitely watching again-3D, with another set of friends. Expand
  65. Nov 22, 2013
    This movie is atrocious. Sandra Bullock wailing like a dog at the controls of a spaceship?? The writers of this nonsense should be ashamed of themselves. Absolute Rubbish
  66. Dec 3, 2013
    What a load of rubbish! This movie, which is seriously just two people floating around in space, is being hailed as "revolutionary" and "ground breaking" and "like nothing you've ever seen before." What!? We've all seen Apollo 13, haven't we? Only that had an interesting story, and characters who didn't just scream and act embarrassing the whole time. The special effects weren't even thatWhat a load of rubbish! This movie, which is seriously just two people floating around in space, is being hailed as "revolutionary" and "ground breaking" and "like nothing you've ever seen before." What!? We've all seen Apollo 13, haven't we? Only that had an interesting story, and characters who didn't just scream and act embarrassing the whole time. The special effects weren't even that impressive. And yet no doubt it will win best visual effects at the Oscars, as well as about twelve thousand other awards because delusional critics have brainwashed themselves into thinking this is a "masterpiece." Expand
  67. Apr 1, 2014
    Horrible piece of sh*t, insulting physics and logic from the very premises. I won't make a list of errors here, but suffice to say it's impossible to watch this without going "what the **** why the **** every few minutes.
  68. Oct 4, 2013
    Alfonso Cuaron’s new feature film, “Gravity,” a movie about an astronaut is on graveness space in his spectacular 3D experience. Mr. Cuaron has done previous films that I enjoy so much including “Y’Tu Mama Tambien,” “Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban,” and “Children of Men,” now he decides to make his latest space adventure about two astronauts were on the mission to repair theAlfonso Cuaron’s new feature film, “Gravity,” a movie about an astronaut is on graveness space in his spectacular 3D experience. Mr. Cuaron has done previous films that I enjoy so much including “Y’Tu Mama Tambien,” “Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban,” and “Children of Men,” now he decides to make his latest space adventure about two astronauts were on the mission to repair the satellite in outer space. Then, a probe pollution appears from nowhere and damages the satellite; however, the two astronauts split away in a dark gravity of space. One space scientist, Dr. Ryan Stone (Sandra Bullock), is on the loose and she has no way out to save herself in space. Dr. Stone decided to take care of herself and she needs to find a way to be safe, so she can come back home from earth. Mr. Cuaron makes a wonderful experiences to travel deep in outer space to see a beautiful atmosphere and an epic suspense for one the best films I ever seen.. Expand
  69. Oct 6, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Considering the sentiment of most of the negative user reviews I've read on this movie, I really wish most moviegoers would *try* to engage movies in a vacumm (not necessarily in the vacumm of space though...heh heh). It seems many came into this film filled with too many preconceived ideas about what it would be and how it would effect/affect them. I find it really does the movie a disservice when you think it's going to be the best thing you've ever seen before you even see it. You spend most of the time hung-up on that moment that's going to make it all happen, and in the process, you miss the overall composition. Then you consider the movie a failure because that moment never came. I say all this because I've done it too many times before. Thankfull, I didn't do it with Gravity.

A lot of people, myself included, love film for its aesthetic advantage over most other forms of art. I don't think it's crazy to suggest that this film has done, cinematically, what no other film has yet to do; that, I believe, warrants many of the accolades it's been receiving. On the other hand, I really enjoyed the emotional 'gravity' of this movie and it's allegory for rebirth It somehow manages to quickly pull you onto an empathetic level for the main character without the normal, slow characture development we would typically need for someone who's in a situation we have a hard time relating to—and I think this is all connected to how wonderfully real this movie feels, despite the fact that 99.9999991% of us have never been in space.

On a side note, Gravity also tugged a piece of my heart with the seemingly subtil ode to Spielberg/John Wlliams 80's style soundtrack and sound editing. What I'm referring to here is when a film's eutherial, clean, and powerful sounding soundtrack seems to shelter a softer, dirty—almost analog sounding—song. The scene I felt this during most was when Dr. Ryan had the radio communication with the civilian (non English speaking) man. While she was finally realizing things were not great (I'll spare details for fear of spoiling), the soundtrack paralled the weight of the situation. Though a spark of hope came through a man's singing to a baby in the background—an obvious but well played contrast. This scene/sound editing might not have been an overt ode, but I still liked its use.

See this movie, but forget everything everyone has said about it!
  70. Apr 8, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Imagine a firefighter enters a building that is blazing with flames. He looks around, screams for 10 minutes, and runs away because he is completely unqualified for the job.

That is what this movie is like, except replace the firefighter with an astronaut.

The only good thing about this film is that it looks nice. But to be honest, it's not worth an hour and a half of your time to watch a film when you can just go on Imgur and type in 'nice space pictures' and start viewing galleries of visually appealing space pictures without having to listen to someone screaming and constantly gasping for air (when they are supposed to be an astronaut with some experience).

The worst part about watching this film is that when it finally finishes, you realise that Sandra Bullock is in the middle of nowhere and will probably die anyway. So much for the whole 'survival' theme.

Also, 'Gravity' doesn't make sense as a title. It should be called 'Zero Gravity', 'Zero Oxygen', or 'Screaming Lady in Space'.
  71. Oct 7, 2013
    This movie was AMAZING!!!! I was able to watch it on IMAX and I was just blown away! The thrills start right away and watching Dr. Ryan Stone swirl around in space made me feel light-headed, which is a very good thing since few movies can really do that. The special effects are some of the best I've ever seen!! One scene, in particular, where we see one of the space shuttles get destroyedThis movie was AMAZING!!!! I was able to watch it on IMAX and I was just blown away! The thrills start right away and watching Dr. Ryan Stone swirl around in space made me feel light-headed, which is a very good thing since few movies can really do that. The special effects are some of the best I've ever seen!! One scene, in particular, where we see one of the space shuttles get destroyed by debris in the middle of the film, was nothing short of breathtaking. I also love the acting: George Clooney gives a light-hearted performance sure to get a few chuckles out of you, but this is Sandra Bullock's show, and she gives, probably, the best performance of her career. She's a character to root for since she has very strong character development. However, there are times when the dialogue gets a little sappy,but the actors give it their all, especially Bullock. Overall, with a mastery of special effects and a strong emotional core shown through great performances, Gravity is one of the best thrillers I have ever seen and will definitely blow you away as well! Expand
  72. Oct 6, 2013
    Brilliantly executed and acted all wrapped in outstanding special effects. I was on the edge of my seat for 99% of the film and had my hand covering my mouth for half of the movie (which often doesn't happen, even when I am watching horror films). A tour de force of a masterpiece by Alfonso Cuarón that will be in your head long after you've left the theatre. I foresee a few OscarBrilliantly executed and acted all wrapped in outstanding special effects. I was on the edge of my seat for 99% of the film and had my hand covering my mouth for half of the movie (which often doesn't happen, even when I am watching horror films). A tour de force of a masterpiece by Alfonso Cuarón that will be in your head long after you've left the theatre. I foresee a few Oscar nominations and wins for this one. Go see this. Now. Expand
  73. Jan 26, 2014
    Yes the film is technological masterpiece , visuals is great, directing is perfect and "Oscar worthy" but Gravity is simply boring and overrated.It's frustrating that no one has the guts to tell they didn't like the move, well I'm telling, i hate it. I watched 3 hours long The Wolf of Wall Street and never get bored and then I watched 90 minutes long Gravity but I was bored to death withYes the film is technological masterpiece , visuals is great, directing is perfect and "Oscar worthy" but Gravity is simply boring and overrated.It's frustrating that no one has the guts to tell they didn't like the move, well I'm telling, i hate it. I watched 3 hours long The Wolf of Wall Street and never get bored and then I watched 90 minutes long Gravity but I was bored to death with Sandra Bullock's exaggerated acting that makes you don't care what is going to happen. Expand
  74. Oct 6, 2013
    Intense and keeps you on the edge of your seat the whole time. This movie is pinned as just a survival story that takes place in space, but it connects on a much deeper level with the undertones and themes of loneliness, separation, and love. Beautiful and breathtaking visual effects, along with stuffing and emotional acting from Bullock. This is a must see movie to me 10/10
  75. Oct 12, 2013
    Amazing action movie. Displays zero-g physics better than any sci-fi movie I've seen (even if not entirely perfectly), which makes for a really unusual environment. Also, it is a space movie, and it is not sci-fi. Which is a shock right there. There's not much "interaction" and "character development", and thank God for that, we have that in literally every movie except this one already,Amazing action movie. Displays zero-g physics better than any sci-fi movie I've seen (even if not entirely perfectly), which makes for a really unusual environment. Also, it is a space movie, and it is not sci-fi. Which is a shock right there. There's not much "interaction" and "character development", and thank God for that, we have that in literally every movie except this one already, and in large amounts. There is however a psychological drama about getting over yourself and doing much more than you ever thought you were able to, not giving up until the very end. Also did I mention awesome action in zero-g? Expand
  76. Oct 12, 2013
    GiantMidget, you have hit the nail right on the head. I entered the movie expecting to be amazed by the effects of gravity, but I was sadly disappointed until the final 5 minutes. I may as well have just watched all the previews and left, as they contained more gravity than the entire movie itself. Not impressed.
  77. Oct 8, 2013
    Gravity delivers the weird juxtaposition of the film's creators allowing a fictional character to overcome unforgiving space, but won't trust the audience to think for themselves.

Yesterday evening I joined my good friends in a showing of the Sci-Fi survival thriller Gravity. I was expecting a documentary with George Clooney narrating, and wasn't quite sure of what to expect when I popped on my thick-rimmed 3D goggles. I am very interested in astronomy and the remoteness and aloofness of the celestial bodies has always strongly informed how I feel about living on Planet Earth. Their distance and indifference is a majestic mockery of our trivial, and temporary, existence.

Settling into the first five minutes of Gravity, I quickly realised that of course a work of fiction would make an over-pronounced imposition of human beings into the glorious inertia of space. This realisation that I can now expect people to provide the thrust of the story profoundly disappoints me. The feeble juxtaposition of a towering, placid spacescape with the minute actions of studious astronauts has no more of an impact on me than would watching the same people sit around an office drinking weak, freeze-dried coffee.

Therefore, precisely what I find refreshing about the film 15 minutes in is that it hasn't (yet) condescended to the audience by loading the flimsy cardboard cutout characters with some morbid modus operandi, thereby making totally unrelateable spacewalking astronauts into amenable accomplices of the viewer. It therefore makes sense to streamline the cynically unlucky protagonist to such a degree that the only necessary instrument at her disposal is the pure and simple instinctual thrust of survival.

The depiction of the characters in broad strokes continues as the audience is struck forcibly by the information that, believe it or not, spacewalking is either a very mundane experience best accompanied by country music, or that novices are terribly excited by it on their first run. Both contrasts are totally within convention, and this silly space symphony's opening bars have all the reverie of a pastorale.

At one moment as Bullock careens off into the vast emptiness of space, an apparition of home; a large, indifferent planet Northern Lights added for aesthetics sits serenely behind, sleepily unaware of the plight of our hapless protagonist. It is a moment of genuine beauty, and for a second the film has an actually interesting principal actor the “gentle indifference of the world”.

But then as Disaster, that catalyst of so many Hollywood movies, arrives, all of a sudden it occurs to me that we are going to have to suffer character development as this thing goes on. We haven't learned enough by Hollywood standards to care enough about Bullock and Clooney yet, but a few stories from good ol' Planet Earth ought to set that right.

I wouldn't have been totally against this inevitability if it wasn't for the central character spending the remaining 90 minutes undergoing a juvenile transformation from naïve to determined (via seriously mopy). Bullock's performance is languid enough to have made me believe that survival in the face of almost certain death is a bit of a drag.

Therefore, into the wondrous oblivion of infinite space strolls a character so disengaged from life that I stopped rooting for her from basically the beginning. Marcus Aurelius writes in his Meditations that “Today I escaped from anxiety. Or no, I discarded it, because it was within me, in my own perceptions not outside.”

The tenets of stoicism don't seem to really have fallen into the scope of Bullock's character, because there is always a sense that what she is facing is injustice it's not fair!!! rather than coming to any acceptance that her predicament was an exceptionally fair one an outgrowth of her being in a totally extraordinary position as remote from human experience as one could possibly get, and therefore, not entitled to expect the same accommodations from the universe.

What accompanies this extraordinary situation, and what makes the film so oddly cold, is how extraordinarily muted un-human Bullock's character's response is. There is neither a hint of completely justified despair, nor the slightest sense of confusion at the totally mindboggling predicament facing her character.

This might be an attempt.

Instead, unfortunately, Hollywood is the exemplar of an industrial process of creativity so eminently capable of mistaking the addition of melodrama for character complexity. It is not enough that survival and hatred of death are ingrained human qualities up to and including the point of irrational denial of fate Gravity also needs us to buy into a crumby story about a deceased child in order to force the operationalisation of instinct.

It was not enough that a Harvard-graduated space-genius had to get a face full of satellite shrapnel. We had to have our own emotional capacities for empathy inc
  78. Oct 7, 2013
    What can I say about this highly acclaimed movie? Gorgeous CGI-produced space, fabulous work of Sandra Bullock's plastic surgeon (for 49 she looks incredible).
    What else? H-m-m-m... Oh yeh! Sandra's hair style is perfect, especially considering that she is in weightlessness.
    I was bored mostly all the time. It reminded me a TNT ad "We know drama" where all action happens at the very possible moment. Kinda cheap. But again, the visuals and special effects were astounding.
  79. Oct 7, 2013
    Gravity is a fun "Ride" ala Star Tours experience, but as far as a "Movie" goes, the story and character development leaves much to be desired. As far as a 3D $18 90 minute Star Tours/Type spectacle, if that is what you are looking for then I am sure you will love the film. The CG and Camera moves were impressive and the film was done very well. Films like Gravity are just not what I amGravity is a fun "Ride" ala Star Tours experience, but as far as a "Movie" goes, the story and character development leaves much to be desired. As far as a 3D $18 90 minute Star Tours/Type spectacle, if that is what you are looking for then I am sure you will love the film. The CG and Camera moves were impressive and the film was done very well. Films like Gravity are just not what I am looking for when I go to the Cinema. Now If I was at Disneyland it would be a different story Just my two cents, and obviously I am in the minority since it appears that almost everyone on earth loved this Film and thought it was the greatest film of all time. Which I do find a bit disconcerting because in my opinion it would not even make my top 100 films of all time list. Sadly this is certainly the type of movies film corporations will want to put out more of. 3D up-charge along with a short running time which equals more showings per day and more revenue. Will we ever see a popular motion picture released with a strong script, with strong acting again, or will that just be relegated to art houses and on demand TV viewing? Expand
  80. Nov 4, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Neither NASA nor any other space agency would ever send the character Sandra Bullock played into space. They don't need a hysterical woman who knows nothing about space or the technology she has to use.
    If you know nothing about physics or space you probably will like that movie but if you are interested in these things (like me) you'll hate it because you know that nearly everything is against logic or physics.

And to be honest: In a SciFi movie I don't give a damn about a "deep" insight of the characters. Especially when their stories have nothing to do with the movie.

Before I checked who made the movie I thought the same guy who did After Earth also did this one.

At the end: The nearly drowned in the rescue capsule? Oh holy This nearly happened in real life to NASA astronauts and thus NASA (and all other space agencies) fixed that problem.

The director just wanted to make a awesome 3D movie but didn't cared about a good and especially logical story. I hope he NEVER does a movie again so the investors have money left for good movies.
  81. Oct 6, 2013
    This movie is a cinematic masterpiece. I dont want to say more because going in with no expectation beyond something happens in space is the best way. Also see it in 3d it really uses this well not as a gimmick.
  82. Oct 18, 2013
    It will pull you in, even if you aren't the type to typically get 'in' to movies. A huge part of it is the amazing sound design/music (they run together to form a single audio singularity), which is filled with a lot less 'tell me how to feel' and a lot more primal sounds that more directly influence your feelings. Go. And see it in 3D!
  83. Oct 7, 2013
    This movie is a perfect 10

The visuals,the audio detail, the acting, the story, and execution were perfect. I have nothing bad to say about it

Great score

Sandra really proved herself in this movie and I think its a good role for her and a good move

I knew I wouldnt be disappointed by a movie with Alfonso's name on it
  84. Jan 30, 2015
    Quite frankly, yes, it was an alright movie. It was a great thrill ride, but nothing else. I didn't feel any emotion, care about any characters, nothing, it was just a thrill ride, and that's fine, but the amount of praise the movie gets for it is just absolutely **** insane! That's the reason I'm giving it a zero, which is unfair, yes, but god dammit, why would a movie like this recieveQuite frankly, yes, it was an alright movie. It was a great thrill ride, but nothing else. I didn't feel any emotion, care about any characters, nothing, it was just a thrill ride, and that's fine, but the amount of praise the movie gets for it is just absolutely **** insane! That's the reason I'm giving it a zero, which is unfair, yes, but god dammit, why would a movie like this recieve so much praise? Great visuals? Cool, but that doesn't equal a good movie. Creepy soundtrack that sets the mood? Fair enough, great, but that doesn't equal a good movie. Great cinematography? Yes! I love that, but none of any of that matters in the end if I feel no care or affection for anything about or in the movie. Another well made thrill ride that deserves max a like, 6 or 7/10. Expand
  85. Oct 7, 2013
    This is a very simple movie at heart. A 90min thriller that takes place in the vacuum of space. There is very little dialogue, back story, and minimal sound effects (no sound in space after all). Clooney is the veteran spaceman and calming voice of reason while Bullock is the 6 months trainee and panicking. You'll instantly be familiar with story, characters, and setting 20mins in, butThis is a very simple movie at heart. A 90min thriller that takes place in the vacuum of space. There is very little dialogue, back story, and minimal sound effects (no sound in space after all). Clooney is the veteran spaceman and calming voice of reason while Bullock is the 6 months trainee and panicking. You'll instantly be familiar with story, characters, and setting 20mins in, but thats OK. Visually this movie is amazing using lengthy, single shots (my guess to show the infinity of outer space) and the occasional 1st person perspective. 90mins is a perfect length for Gravity cause Bullock's escalating bad luck does start to get ridiculous. Bottomline: Total worth seeing in theaters!!! Expand
  86. Oct 5, 2013
    Overrated is definitely the term that comes to mind. It's not a bad movie per say, but it certainly is not a 96.

The formula here is: technical space flight problem solving of "Apollo 13" meets the human spirit and ability to survive from "127 Hours." The problem is, this movie doesn't do either aspect well enough. Both aforementioned movies, as well as "Moon" do a better job in

The problem is, this movie doesn't do either aspect well enough. Both aforementioned movies, as well as "Moon" do a better job in almost all categories.

This movie is a clear favorite for best cinematography, and the music was top notch as well. Those two areas were not enough to carry the movie for me however.

It's not a movie I would recommend to others, but it's not a movie I would recommend against either.
  87. Oct 6, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Okay, stop listening to the endless praise. This movie, while fairly good, is vastly overrated. Warning, this contains SPOILERS!!!!

The visual effects and the soundtrack are unbelievable. There's not much more to be said about them, except that they are clearly the staple of the film. However, once you get past that, the film can become painfully dull and filled with "ARE YOU F@#%ING KIDDING ME" moments.

For example (spoiler): When Sandra Bullo- whoops, "Ryan Stone," is caught on the thin wires holding on to George Cloo- sorry, Kowalski- there is clearly nothing stopping Stone from just pulling him over to her. But nope! She lets go because the script called for it.

Spoiler's over, you can read now.

Another example is that the debris cloud could not possibly travel around the ENTIRE WORLD in 90 minutes. This "chain reaction" would only be possible over the span of months.

The character(s) have no story to them, and the one who does has a forced tragic backstory to tell WHILE DRIFTING THROUGH SPACE. During this predictable monologue, I found myself increasingly hoping that this character would run out of oxygen.

By the way, in this, 4% of an oxygen tank takes 10 minutes to drain, but the last 1% over 20 minutes.

I'm not saying that this movie is necessarily bad. Honestly, it is worth a viewing in IMAX 3D. But a second time isn't something I'd consider.
  88. Oct 5, 2013
    By far one of the best cinema experiences ive ever had. Sure there were obvious outcomes, yet it holds the tension beautifully from beginning to end and truly crafts suspension of disbelief for the viewer.
    Even more so, the stunningly complex visuals are backed by a stimulating pallet of terrifyingly sparse atmosphere underlined with pulsating crescendo's of electronic dissonance, making this movie's impact all the more impressive.
    The fact that the cast is relatively small (with most of it being performed by one actress) is a refreshing change prompting new approaches to dialogue while dissipating the borders of the screen to creatively engage the audience in Dr.Stone's desperate crawl to survival.
    Cinematography in this film was practically larger than life, creating a true sense of fear, awe and utter isolation. (Highly suggest sitting in the front row if you want total immersion)
    Felt like i was being exposed to open vacuum the entire time and somehow just managing to escape; it really was one hell of a ride.
  89. Oct 6, 2013
    The movie was beyond my expectations. Since it was announced during Venice Film Festival, I was already intrigued. After the initial teaser trailer, I was sold. The movie was intense and gripping. The first 10 mins of the movie grabs hold of you and leaves you paralyzed, asking what is going to happen next. Sandra Bullock played her character as Ryan Stone with so much emotion that itThe movie was beyond my expectations. Since it was announced during Venice Film Festival, I was already intrigued. After the initial teaser trailer, I was sold. The movie was intense and gripping. The first 10 mins of the movie grabs hold of you and leaves you paralyzed, asking what is going to happen next. Sandra Bullock played her character as Ryan Stone with so much emotion that it makes you feel the pain and loneliness she went through in the movie. This is definitely a must see of the year. Expand
  90. Oct 12, 2013
    A masterpiece of a movie that's at once visually beautiful, emotional, and thrilling. This should be the example of how to make a movie that's carried by a strong female lead.
  91. Oct 18, 2013
    Gravity is a intense film that will thrill and petrify you like no film has done before. Many have criticized the acting of Bullock and Clooney as flawed, but they are a full and complete realization of their characters, who are themselves flawed. Bullock particularly shines as the star of the film as an inexperienced scientist with full training to be in space but without the experienceGravity is a intense film that will thrill and petrify you like no film has done before. Many have criticized the acting of Bullock and Clooney as flawed, but they are a full and complete realization of their characters, who are themselves flawed. Bullock particularly shines as the star of the film as an inexperienced scientist with full training to be in space but without the experience or will to survive on her own. This becomes more apparent as the story progresses and we see that her struggle to survive does not start or end in space but is instead an internal struggle to find purpose in life. The film is visually stunning and directed with such precision that its hard to not immerse yourself in the beauty and horror that space has to provide. Expand
  92. Oct 20, 2013
    Stunning visuals, perfect sound mixing and editing, and a great performance by academy award winner Sandra Bullock. Gravity is an intense ride that will keep you on the edge of your seat. Cuaron's best movie to date. A must watch!
  93. Nov 12, 2013
    The opening scenes on wonderful views of earth from space may have you thinking "this is going to be another Space Odyssey". Unfortunately it's not, it's just another space movie with well crafted visual effects on a very obvious plot.
  94. Jan 1, 2014
    This has to be one of the worst films that I have seen in a long time. Not even the presence of Sandra Bullock and George Clooney made this film work for me. No character development. Too many bad luck scenarios to make the film remotely believable. Absolutely amazing cinematography but a story line that was weaker than the tea at an all night diner. Sappy elements thrown in to make youThis has to be one of the worst films that I have seen in a long time. Not even the presence of Sandra Bullock and George Clooney made this film work for me. No character development. Too many bad luck scenarios to make the film remotely believable. Absolutely amazing cinematography but a story line that was weaker than the tea at an all night diner. Sappy elements thrown in to make you feel more connected but it was like throwing tomatoes at a wall. Sorry but I did not connect to any of the characters. Oscar worthy? I have to call BS. Simple survival story in space? Get a grip. Poorly written, good visuals. Feels like it was written under pressure. Sorry but I do not recommed this film at all. Expand
  95. Jan 14, 2014
    This film has no story line, no action, no, well, anything worth watching a film for really. The acting might be okay and the visuals etc, but it is just way too boring. Very overrated.
  96. Feb 25, 2014
    I don't want to be rude, but I really didn't enjoy this movie. It's not about having serious "physical inaccuracy", it's just that this movie is missing some key elements required for any movie! Like you need to have a Protagonist AND antagonist for the story to work! This move has none. Also if you ever wanted a twist or something there is none. It was simply boring. Nothing else dullI don't want to be rude, but I really didn't enjoy this movie. It's not about having serious "physical inaccuracy", it's just that this movie is missing some key elements required for any movie! Like you need to have a Protagonist AND antagonist for the story to work! This move has none. Also if you ever wanted a twist or something there is none. It was simply boring. Nothing else dull story with no twists and or plot changes, nothing. Expand
  97. Oct 1, 2014
    The graphics were amazing, and that's about it. You should save yourself some time and go to NASA's website to view pictures of the Earth and space instead.

This movie having a 96 average is appalling. In fact, it ruins the credibility of every movie critic that gave it a positive score. The plot was as pointless and uninteresting as having a staring contest with a cat. Speaking of cats, I'm sure some fat cats in Hollywood paid off the reviewers for this garbage.

If you want to watch a more enjoyable Sci-fi movie where people go somewhere and come back, check out RocketMan. At least it's funny.
  98. Oct 5, 2013
    Wonderful. Delivers that sense of grandeur only one or two movies a year can muster. Alfonso Cuaron is a brilliant filmmaker. The long tracking shot at the beginning is...for lack of better words...absolutely friggin' insane. What an amazing experience.
  99. Oct 15, 2013
    "Gravity" is not only a beautiful, visual and science-fiction film, it's more than that. Alfonso Cuarón has created pure 7th art. It has emotiional weight, life toil and spiritual philosophy Sandra Bullock is great, I think that Ryan Stone is her best role in her filmography. George Clooney is a cool Jiminy Cricket in this film. It's curious, this film is now but already is classic.
  100. Mar 4, 2014
    I can't believe this won Oscars. I have seen the same kind of graphics in video games, so I was not impressed. The acting is so boring. Boring dialog. I was glad when George Cloony's character floated into space, so that I didn't have to listen to that stupid country music and his boring conversations. I feel asleep and don't know if I can bring myself to finish this sleeper of a movie.I can't believe this won Oscars. I have seen the same kind of graphics in video games, so I was not impressed. The acting is so boring. Boring dialog. I was glad when George Cloony's character floated into space, so that I didn't have to listen to that stupid country music and his boring conversations. I feel asleep and don't know if I can bring myself to finish this sleeper of a movie. Thank goodness I didn't pay to see this in the theater. Save your money and your time by skipping this movie. Expand

1. Reviewed by: James Mottram
    Nov 3, 2013
    A stunning space saga that takes off for new technical frontiers without leaving its humanity behind.
  2. The New Yorker
    Reviewed by: David Denby
    Oct 6, 2013
    Gravity is not a film of ideas, like Kubrick's techno-mystical "2001," but it's an overwhelming physical experience -- a challenge to the senses that engages every kind of dread. [7 Oct. 2013, p.88]
  3. Reviewed by: Dana Stevens
    Oct 4, 2013
    This is not to say that Gravity is a masterpiece: Unlike Cuarón’s extraordinary "Children of Men", it doesn’t quite pull off its ambitious effort to combine formal inventiveness, heart-pounding action, and intimate human storytelling. But it succeeds thrillingly at the first two of those categories, and only misses the mark on the last because it tries a little too hard — which is certainly a welcome respite from the countless sci-fi thrillers that privilege the human story not at all.