7.8

1. Apr 14, 2014
    The visuals alone are so stunning and gorgeous (10 out of 10) and they make me give the film an 8. I don´t even know how they made it. It´s real, it´s tense and it´s a crazy journey that should be epic in all fronts. But on the other hand I have some problems with it. The script/story is weak. There´s not much more to enjoy than the visuals. Let´s just say the story itself is average. TheThe visuals alone are so stunning and gorgeous (10 out of 10) and they make me give the film an 8. I don´t even know how they made it. It´s real, it´s tense and it´s a crazy journey that should be epic in all fronts. But on the other hand I have some problems with it. The script/story is weak. There´s not much more to enjoy than the visuals. Let´s just say the story itself is average. The most important thing in a film will always be the script , character development and the acting. No matter how good the rest of the things are, a film can´t get a 9 or 10 if it lacks (even if it´s on purpose, like probably in this case) a great script. That´s why I "only" give it an 8. The acting from Sandra Bullock surprised me. I have never appreciated her work, I don´t consider her one of the best actresses at all. But I have to admit she was very solid, great performance. Despite everything, it is a must see and it´s not long. You won´t regret watching it. It´s a fantastic adventure. Expand
  2. Oct 5, 2013
    Spectacular visuals...almost no need for depth in story. Won't be seen as anything revolutionary in 20 years. I can imagine how it would be in IMAX. Don't see it on a full stomach.
  3. Oct 9, 2013
    Great movie. The cinematography was just out of this world... pardon the pun. The sound and music was captivating and it had the best actor credits I have ever seen. Hate the name though, it should be called lack of gravity. Calling it gravity is misleading and suggests the writer wasn't bright enough to research a better name.
  4. Oct 8, 2013
    The only thing that holds this film back from being truly perfect are the limitations that are created by the fact that the characters are in space. Sandra Bullock and George Clooney both do a solid job, particularly Bullock, and Cuaron will certainly blow your mind with his camera movement and directorial choices. This is the most visually spectacular movie I've seen since...well, since IThe only thing that holds this film back from being truly perfect are the limitations that are created by the fact that the characters are in space. Sandra Bullock and George Clooney both do a solid job, particularly Bullock, and Cuaron will certainly blow your mind with his camera movement and directorial choices. This is the most visually spectacular movie I've seen since...well, since I can't remember when. This might be the best looking film I've ever seen. My friend and I raved for 30 minutes about the visual after we saw it, non stop. While there are a few cheesy lines and some of the plot is relegated to exposition, I can't see anyone disliking this film. Expand
  5. Nov 25, 2013
    This is proabably one of the few movies I would recommend seeing in theaters, because the specticle can only be saw in theaters. With a few short comings with its star power (George Clooney) and its pretentious themes. Gravity is an awesome survivor story.
  6. Oct 11, 2013
    This is a visually stunning piece of film making. Clooney and Bullock give their usual strong performances though there's not much character development. Overall this is a very good film, but not a masterpiece. A-
  7. Oct 12, 2013
    Awesome, damn incredible! Special effects are fantastic, when I watched this movie in 3d I always shuddered when scrap was flying to the screen. I strongly reccoment anyone to watch thisd in IMAX theatre you will forget where you are, you will feel yourself in space with brave astronauts. Views of Earth are breathtaking. This movie is not only about how beautiful Earth is, but also aboutAwesome, damn incredible! Special effects are fantastic, when I watched this movie in 3d I always shuddered when scrap was flying to the screen. I strongly reccoment anyone to watch thisd in IMAX theatre you will forget where you are, you will feel yourself in space with brave astronauts. Views of Earth are breathtaking. This movie is not only about how beautiful Earth is, but also about value of life, about force of will, to fight for your life, so please avoid your "hysterical woman" comments. 10 from 10 Expand
  8. Jan 17, 2014
    Gravity is a visceral, dark and horrifying experience. But it is also one of the most hopeful and inspirational films I have ever seen.

The film is far more enjoyable the less you know before going into it, but from the trailers you have already seen that it is about two astronauts caught in a tidal wave of chaos as they are thrown into certain doom in outer space. The simplicity of

The simplicity of its plot benefits the film and reinforces it's core architectural foundations. It is a film that wants you to experience everything it's two characters are experiencing. All these feelings that are passed onto us as the viewer and are emphasized via the use of some amazingly placed POV shots, sound and subliminal imagery.
    The result of all this, is a film that only gave me a couple of occasions in which I could release my firm grip form the arms of my chair, and breathe again. And I bloody loved it.

The imagery that I spoke of earlier is something that cannot be talked about in any kind of detail with possibly detracting from what makes it so special. The concepts of loss, denial acceptance and rebirth are the most prominent, but there are also various nods at the journey of mankind and our downfall.

In the day and age where special effects are in just about every film, Gravity delivers a marvel of visual effects that are some of the most amazing I have ever seen.
    From gorgeous shots spanning the earth from outer space, to space stations tearing themselves apart throwing millions of particles across the screen all at once. The film does not do anything that is out of character. These effects, could be real. And if you let go of whatever else is going on in your life for just a short while, you may get dragged in, and lost. And that is the experience that is well worth the price of admission.

I cannot emphasize enough how astonishing Gravity is. In truth, it may be one of the most successfully realized films I have ever seen. One of the many thoughts that lingered with me long after I left my chair in the theatres was "How bloody long am I going to have to wait until this is out on Blu-ray?"

A 10.

Jack Valentine
  9. Nov 2, 2013
    To be honest I was expecting better. The visuals are impressive but the movie lack a story its just a succession of events to keep the audience interested, but the bad part is that is quite predictable.
  10. Dec 9, 2013
    Very unimpressed. Terrible acting with a super mediocre story makes for a terrible movie. Beautiful CG can not save this movie from awful actors and terrible story. Movie was so bad that I started falling asleep at around 40 minutes in. Would not recommend watching to anyone.
  11. Oct 23, 2013
    This film could be summed up in one sentence "The Power of Simplicity", because the script is so simple that if another director surely spoil the movie, but the form is so beautiful Cuaron directed and acted in and takes only ones in the first person what makes the movie very tense but also very entertaining, this sure Sandra Bulock the Bullet film acting in one of his best performancesThis film could be summed up in one sentence "The Power of Simplicity", because the script is so simple that if another director surely spoil the movie, but the form is so beautiful Cuaron directed and acted in and takes only ones in the first person what makes the movie very tense but also very entertaining, this sure Sandra Bulock the Bullet film acting in one of his best performances and possible Oscar nominee, but the best scenes are the ones that George Clooney appears with his ironic way and firm Expand
  12. Oct 20, 2013
    Gravity permeates into my mind as an evitable experience. It stays with me for days--now it's almost a week. I guess no other space-thrillers (in the near future) can defy Gravity's terrifying demonstration. Though the plot is quite simple, the directing by Alfonso Cuaron overshadows that--and it should stay that way. If you have not seen it yet, go to the nearest theater right now andGravity permeates into my mind as an evitable experience. It stays with me for days--now it's almost a week. I guess no other space-thrillers (in the near future) can defy Gravity's terrifying demonstration. Though the plot is quite simple, the directing by Alfonso Cuaron overshadows that--and it should stay that way. If you have not seen it yet, go to the nearest theater right now and watch it! If it is not the best space-thriller ever made, it is the best film I have seen this year. Expand
  13. Oct 9, 2013
    Realistic (to some degree) space movie at last, thanks to senior Alfonso Cuaron! The best thing about it is the visuals and the thrilling atmosphere. As for the narrative, let's just say it's not the strongest side of "Gravity"! Even though some laws of physics has been violated for the sake of plot, it is one of the best picture of 2013!
  14. Oct 4, 2013
    Just saw it in IMAX & gotta say this movie perfect for IMAX experience!! Sense of place, atmosphere, emotions ALL is just incredible!!! Probably, effect will be somewhat lost on smaller screen. Catch it now, you won't be disapointed!!!
  15. Mar 1, 2014
    Just when I am wondering why people on here keep giving bad reviews to great movies with complex, emotional screenwriting, here I see one of the lamest movies since Jodi Foster did "Contact", and people think it's cool because they watched it in Imax-- which reminded them that there are stars and a universe and stuff above our heads.

This movie has no story whatsoever. Literally nothing

This movie has no story whatsoever. Literally nothing happens-- whoever called this "intense and gripping" must not have watched a movie since "The Wizard of Oz". Sandra Bullock floats around in space, there is a meteor shower (because wtf else happens in space without alien attacks???), George Clooney is in the film maybe 20 min....probably because he'd rather float off into space and suffocate to death than continue making this movie with Sandra bullock. I mean, at least with Ms. Congeniality we got to see her in a dress.

P.s. -- how do you have fires burning on the exterior of structures in outer space? Fire requires certain compounds present in the atmosphere...
  16. Oct 12, 2013
    One of the overall best films I've ever seen. This movie must sweep the Oscars. While lacking in much of a complicated story, there is definitely a plot. The main theme of the film is rebirth through isolation, which can be seen through many thematic elements in the film. This is a must see in Imax-3D. The actors spinning wildly out of control with the Earth in the background provides theOne of the overall best films I've ever seen. This movie must sweep the Oscars. While lacking in much of a complicated story, there is definitely a plot. The main theme of the film is rebirth through isolation, which can be seen through many thematic elements in the film. This is a must see in Imax-3D. The actors spinning wildly out of control with the Earth in the background provides the viewer with a very existential experience. After watching this movie I called all of my closest friends and told them I loved them because this film really makes you reflect on your own life. The music was phenomenal, despite there not being sound. It made you feel all of the action without having corny foley artists add all of the fake sound effects. Cuaron uses extended long shots to add to the realism of the film, making it seem almost like a documentary. Best film of the year, and one of the best I have ever seen. Gravity is worth checking out and enjoying with a loved one. A masterpiece of cinema. Expand
  17. Nov 12, 2013
    You may have heard some hype floating around about this “little” movie and its big achievement… believe it! ‘Gravity’ is one of the best films to hit the big screen all year and, through staggering technical accomplishment, it quite easily made its mark as a vital contributor to the visual language of cinema. The screenplay may not be an elaborate piece of work, but it gets the job done.You may have heard some hype floating around about this “little” movie and its big achievement… believe it! ‘Gravity’ is one of the best films to hit the big screen all year and, through staggering technical accomplishment, it quite easily made its mark as a vital contributor to the visual language of cinema. The screenplay may not be an elaborate piece of work, but it gets the job done. Through Alfonso Cuaron’s accomplished direction the ideas come into fruition and the simplicity of the script is given a grand, new life. Cuaron crafts a staggering tale of survival against seemingly impossible odds, and splices it with spiritual motifs and nods to some classic science fiction films. When a space shuttle is destroyed by debris from a decimated Russian Satellite, the last two survivors of the disaster become stranded in space and are forced to use their wit and will to live in order to return to mother Earth. Sandra Bullock delivers her career best turn as rookie astronaut, Ryan Stone, who faces the brunt of Space’s fury. Her arc as a hero placed in repetitive danger may (or may not) have been a shortcoming of the script, but that question was put to rest by Bullock’s convincing lead presence. Her attempts to overcome one near-death obstacle after another never got boring. George Clooney turns up the charm, and gives his best George Clooney impersonation, as the veteran astronaut who guides our imperiled heroine along the way. This was such a beautifully made film. What Cuaron did to bring this space spectacle to the screen is beyond my understanding; and I’m quite happy just marveling at its wonder. The visual effects are obviously groundbreaking stuff, and if Emmanuel Lubezki doesn’t finally win that elusive Oscar for his arresting cinematography I will lose all hope in humanity. That 20 minute single shot opening scene is enough to earn him the award. Just as elegant as the visuals were the sound designs, sparse musical score and that excellent sound mix that strives for realism. That’s what I appreciated most about this film, Alfonso Cuaron’s attempt at creating a realistic space experience; I was actually caught in the illusion of weightlessness and silence that is definitive of space. In the process he not only created a realistic space experience, but also an astonishing cinematic one. Expand
  18. Oct 22, 2013
    This is no transformers or any action packed blockbuster, but is a gripping, intense film that will keep you at the edge of your seat throughout. A refreshing and emotional thrill ride for those riddled with action blockbuster fatigue, you will leave the theatre feeling that it had been worth every cent.

Stand out points of this film include the visual effects, cinematography, and

Stand out points of this film include the visual effects, cinematography, and Sandra Bullocks. It's still in theatres so I definitely recommend watching, in 3D for that extra wow factor.
  19. Oct 17, 2013
    The most incredible cinematic experience of my 39 years alive, by leaps and bounds. As far as I'm concerned this film was flawless. I would like to respond to another reviewer who criticized Sandra Bullock's portrayal of a "hysterical, incapable astronaut". The character she played was not a career astronaut, she was a scientist who trained for basic astronaut aptitude in order to goThe most incredible cinematic experience of my 39 years alive, by leaps and bounds. As far as I'm concerned this film was flawless. I would like to respond to another reviewer who criticized Sandra Bullock's portrayal of a "hysterical, incapable astronaut". The character she played was not a career astronaut, she was a scientist who trained for basic astronaut aptitude in order to go into space for a particular mission and this was her first time in space, engaging in a space walk no less. Regardless, she certainly proved her mettle by the end, didn't she? Sir Edmund Hillary, the first person to ascend Mt. Everest said, "It is not the mountain that we conquer, but ourselves." Sandra's character conquered herself and there is no greater achievement for any human being, in spite of the personality and emotional type they are born with and develop through life. Expand
  20. Nov 10, 2013
    This is a film for the more sensitive among us, and for those that are, this is the closest you will come to actually getting the feelings and sense of being face to face with outer space and death.
    A definite to see at the cinema in 3D, it actually gave me vertigo several times and at the end when I tried to stand up my legs were somewhat jelly like and balance unsure.
    Several have
    Several have commented on the lack of development of the characters, but this for me is not true, and something they are getting confused by because of the unconventional methods of delivering said development. For instance, you learn of the characters through the conversations they are having with each other, and not through being shown a lot through cinematic revealing. This is a purposeful ploy, so that to highlight the secluded nature of outer space, and to place the viewer into the skins of the actors, something I thought worked very well.
    From the moment the film starts we are encouraged to use our ears as well as our eyes to great effect. In the cinema I was in you could have heard a pin drop as the ship approached us for the first time.
    All acting performances were wonderful and the directing superb.
    9 out of 10 for me, losing just one point for a small plot line I thought felt a little tacked on, although I will not mention it hear so as to not give away any spoilers.
  21. Mar 4, 2014
    I can't believe this won Oscars. I have seen the same kind of graphics in video games, so I was not impressed. The acting is so boring. Boring dialog. I was glad when George Cloony's character floated into space, so that I didn't have to listen to that stupid country music and his boring conversations. I feel asleep and don't know if I can bring myself to finish this sleeper of a movie.I can't believe this won Oscars. I have seen the same kind of graphics in video games, so I was not impressed. The acting is so boring. Boring dialog. I was glad when George Cloony's character floated into space, so that I didn't have to listen to that stupid country music and his boring conversations. I feel asleep and don't know if I can bring myself to finish this sleeper of a movie. Thank goodness I didn't pay to see this in the theater. Save your money and your time by skipping this movie. Expand
  22. Nov 8, 2013
    I can't believe the rave reviews this movie is getting. My rating: Special FX 10/10. Story: 0/10. How can you have an entire movie based entirely on special FX? The story is complete rubbish and is held together by the most ridiculously unbelievable plot ever thought of. The characters are shallow and we never learn anything about what drives them. This movie is like a rollerI can't believe the rave reviews this movie is getting. My rating: Special FX 10/10. Story: 0/10. How can you have an entire movie based entirely on special FX? The story is complete rubbish and is held together by the most ridiculously unbelievable plot ever thought of. The characters are shallow and we never learn anything about what drives them. This movie is like a roller coaster ride: all visceral feeling and absolutely no substance. Expand
  23. Nov 25, 2013
    An visually gorgeous thrill ride. Gravity provides a breathtaking view of the heavens that no other film has been able to provide in decades. Not only is this film a visual showcase, but it's an emotionally draining drama that delivers flawless performances by Sandra Bullock and George Clooney, the script was beautifully written as well. The film's script has been criticized for someAn visually gorgeous thrill ride. Gravity provides a breathtaking view of the heavens that no other film has been able to provide in decades. Not only is this film a visual showcase, but it's an emotionally draining drama that delivers flawless performances by Sandra Bullock and George Clooney, the script was beautifully written as well. The film's script has been criticized for some "cheesy lines," yet, the film Titanic carries some extremely cheesy lines, and that film's script has been hailed as one of the best scripts ever written. This film carries deeper meaning that only those who think about it after seeing it will truly understand. Gravity is an absolute masterpiece, this film will be nominated, if not, win for best picture. If not best picture, then best actress: Sandra Bullock. If not best actress, best special effects. Its a must see. Expand
  24. Nov 17, 2013
    Brilliant movie SFX Are Amazing, Acting is Good, Story Is Interesting, Though lacks in Character Development A Little Bit And it's A Bit Short Other than That It's An Interesting movie
  25. Oct 22, 2013
    A good movie that tried to show the horrors of space in a more (but not totally) realistic manner. Gravity touches on Sandra Bullock's character having little experience being fast-tracked into space, where everything inevitably goes wrong because of *ahem* the Russians.
    Good cinematography and music do make it an enjoyable watch, but Bullock's portrayal of a completely incompetent astronaut do get annoying I found myself loving the first half of the film, but slowly lost interest even as events rose to a climax.
  26. Oct 8, 2013
    The experimental filming style works big time, making you feel immersed in gravity. 3D effects are also incredibly well done. This film would make for the ultimate Universal Studios movie experience (Earthquake/Jaws style). Only negative is the Clooney/Bullock casting could have been better. They were good but not great. Script was also not perfect
  27. Jan 21, 2014
    It's watchable okay, but I wouldn't recommend it for those who wants to watch a movie with action, because it didn't really happen anything big or spectacular in this movie, just small events and boring conversations between the astronauts, my whole family were half-sleeping thought the movie, although that we are big sci-fi fans! The movie had it moments, but they were not long-lasted andIt's watchable okay, but I wouldn't recommend it for those who wants to watch a movie with action, because it didn't really happen anything big or spectacular in this movie, just small events and boring conversations between the astronauts, my whole family were half-sleeping thought the movie, although that we are big sci-fi fans! The movie had it moments, but they were not long-lasted and fell down into a drama-like-boring-conversations. The positive thing about this movie is that it's very well made and that the story is unique, beside the science in the movie, for example that the Chinese station just "fell out of it's orbit" and resulted in destruction and that you freeze instantly when exposed to vacuum, I mean come on, every kid that has an education knows that! and if you don't believe me...just search on the Internet on whats true & false about the science in Gravity!
    Overall is Gravity is a boring movie, even thought the story is great.
    Gravity gets a 5/10
  28. Oct 7, 2013
    I strangled my popcorn bag from the tension. i have to watch again and i will definitely be buying it. Really well done CG 2 years this has been in the works and it shows.
  29. Oct 19, 2013
    Maybe it's one of the best films i've ever seen, it's an incredible experience. This tense movie give us a chance for the future of cinema, it's innovative, it's emotional,it's beautiful. Yes the script is a little dull but the incredible scenes are an opportunity to ignore that. The set it's an advance for the future technology and Cuaron give us a prove of how be a legendary directorMaybe it's one of the best films i've ever seen, it's an incredible experience. This tense movie give us a chance for the future of cinema, it's innovative, it's emotional,it's beautiful. Yes the script is a little dull but the incredible scenes are an opportunity to ignore that. The set it's an advance for the future technology and Cuaron give us a prove of how be a legendary director maybe i exaggerate but the time will say everything. The scenes ,all the scenes have that incredible silence connected with the music is something unique i never feel that with another movie, and the cinematography yes it's Lubezki, he has a great achievement in the beautiful scenes of our home. Gravity it's the second best film based in space, behind 2001 A Space Odyssey; but in the future the two masterpieces maybe will become a legend. It's the best film of the year. Expand
  30. Oct 26, 2013
    Gravity attempts to portray what astronauts would actually encounter on space missions, how space walks would actually unfold, and the hostility of the environment of space towards anything resembling Earthling life.

The ninety or so minutes of Gravity are the linear unfolding of a series of destructive events in the lives of Astronauts Ryan (Sandra Bullock) and Kowalski (George Clooney). Director’s Alfonso Cuarón’s hones in on these destructive events, treating them as a single, passing moment in time. A moment of crisis.

As far as doing anything in space is ever considered routine, Gravity opens with a group of astronauts undertaking what seem to be standard, routine repairs to the outside of their ship. The tone is jovial, if not a little tense as Clooney zips around the ship’s vicinity with a jet pack jokingly. He wants to break the current space walk record of seventy-five minutes. But Mission Control suddenly issues a warning. A massive field of space debris is headed straight for them.

From here on, only chaos reigns as Cuarón begins to eliminate all probable positive outcomes, one by one. After the astronaut’s ship is destroyed beyond repair Ryan and Kowalski attempt to propel themselves a floatable distance to a space station. As they push forward through space’s vacuum, towards their beacon of hope, space’s vastness and hostility are emphasized, along with their minisculity; “I hate space,” says Ryan somewhat lightheartedly. This comes after she has just been precariously saved from a perpetual spinning away into deep space, a particularly claustrophobic moment of the film, or rather, a moment in extreme of claustrophobia’s exact opposite.

Gravity has all the individual parts of a film rated high, near a 10, but once the parts are assembled, the whole is not equal to the parts. Even though the film is shot in space, and is set to depict a realistic portrayal of how events like these could take place, the film is really just about Ryan, a single human’s struggle to survive, and then with this revelation the epic space setting becomes incidental.

Problem: Ryan is not an interesting character. She seems ill prepared for such a dangerous space mission, and when she talks about her daughter, in a moment that I assume is used to attempt to ground the film in reality by showing us the why, we don’t care about her daughter. The current situation at hand is much more interesting. Including this talk about life back home was a mistake that took me out of the moment. I don’t care about Earth here; I care about this amazing crisis taking place just above Earth. A space movie should emphasize themes bigger than the individual. The mission should be more important than the life of the astronaut. Simply making it back to Earth alive is not an exciting enough conclusion.

Although maybe the best of her career, Bullock still delivers a subpar portrayal of a character that is herself subpar. I loved Cuarón’s Children of Men and I feel here Cuarón’s work is great. From a technical perspective, Cuarón’s filmmaking is incredible, the cinematography stunning, the portrayal of space amazing, so what went wrong? Besides a storyline that fails to transcend human matters, a factor that Cuarón may have been able to gloss over under different circumstances, when a film centers on a single actor, and that actor is Sandra Bullock, to quote Yeats “Things fall apart; the center cannot hold.”
  31. Nov 16, 2013
    Overrated, watched the movie yesterday and it was way below my expectation, don't know why people rate it so high, its pretty basic, acting was good as u'd expect from George Clooney and Sandra Bullock, but the only thing that's great about the movie other than that is the special effects, but that alone doesnt do justice for a movie to be considered great.
  32. Nov 10, 2013
    A cinematic achievement of this generation! In every aspect Gravity seemed to blow me away. With the amazing visual effects, intense story with many heartfelt scenes and finally that 3D. I wish more movies would capture you in the atmosphere of being in space. I especially loved the first person camera at times when you felt as if you were Sandra Bullock scared in space.
    One movie you
    One movie you must see within the decade! This could be starting point in which other movies will make you feel so captivated within the movie! One of the best movies this year!
  33. Feb 12, 2014
    Plain and simple: Boring. So goddamn boring. Definitely does not deserve any of the hype it received. This movie may as well be called Debris, as that is what causes Sandra Bullock to lose her **** in space. Clooney was the best part of the film, when he's not even in it for that long. Visual effects were good but you might as well play a videogame if you wanted to see pretty visuals. NotPlain and simple: Boring. So goddamn boring. Definitely does not deserve any of the hype it received. This movie may as well be called Debris, as that is what causes Sandra Bullock to lose her **** in space. Clooney was the best part of the film, when he's not even in it for that long. Visual effects were good but you might as well play a videogame if you wanted to see pretty visuals. Not the worst movie of 2013, but certainly not the best. Expand
  34. woo
    Nov 14, 2013
    The special effects really are very good. Sandra Bullock acts well. The storyline is perhaps a little weak, but you are prepared to suspend your disbelief due to the view you get of earth from space. SOme of the coincidences are a little bit Hollywood but overall worth seeing in 3D.
  35. Mar 6, 2014
    You know when a person in a zombie movie is embarrassing incapable and hysteric? This is the same thing but in space. Along an extensive list of thing that will never happen.

It has a good visual and audio if you don't count the loud music on speaking scene. Is an fairly entertaining bad movie to get some laugh. Don't expect any quality because there is none.
  36. Oct 5, 2013
    This fall came a movie that will change the course of how CGI (Computer Generated Imagery) and special effects are looked at in a movie. Alfonso Cuarón's newest masterpiece, "Gravity" is guaranteed to be a game changer in the film industry.

The film features only three people on screen, two of which being the main characters, Sandra Bullock and George Clooney. Bullock’s character Dr. Ryan Stone has had a bad life with her four year old daughter dying, and her husband leaving her. What she doesn't know is soon, her life is about to get a lot worse. Matt Kowalski (George Clooney) is a middle aged man who we know very little about, only early learning that he is a hilarious laid back character. We watch them spend the first sixth of the movie repairing the Hubble in space, which soon comes to a halt when Russian satellite debris comes toward the astronauts faster than the speed of a gunshot. Sooner than later Bullock is left floating on her own in space, and now we have our movie.

With trailers releasing as early as the start of July, the brilliant film took more than four and a half years to make, most of which was the production and editing. With the opening scene, we have that awkward silence in the theater as the film has no audio demonstrating not a single sound in space. This is another impressive move by Cuarón, most viewers don’t pick up on. He used the quietness of space and put in near heart-pounding scenes. At these times, you could literally hear your own heart beating rapidly during the truly intense times which happened to be the majority of the film. I did happen to take note of a few slow points in the film though.

A couple times in the movie would be one camera angle of the earth, or a shot of Clooney smiling. These shots would last for over a minute. Just a single of these would've been fine, but there was at least three, with the film just barely reaching its 90 minute length. I think that if in a few years someone would ask about Gravity, I hope that no one talks about the acting or story. With this said, I think that the fact that the movie was shot on earth with gravity is the amazing part. It’s breathtaking view and real feel is what people will be talking about. The over 470 person effect crew could've easily made any movie extremely realistic. The fact that it was about space with stars, and the (three person) cast floating, took my respect for them up a large notch.

The plot wasn't unique, being just another film where we watch a character try to survive, like 127 hours. I don't think it would get even close to the score it has been receiving if it took place on earth, or with lower quality effects. There were times that Bullocks acting wasn't very realistic, or there was a flaw in the writing, but other than that I was overly impressed and surprised with the turns the film took, that the trailer didn't show. Gravity is a must see, but only for its flawless effects in IMAX 3D. Don't even bother seeing it on a regular screen because it is nowhere close to the visuals experienced in 3D. Overall I thoroughly enjoyed Gravity, and think that Alfonso Cuarón just earned the respect, and awards he deserves.
  37. Oct 20, 2013
    There is no other film experience on Earth like Gravity. Which makes sense, keeping in mind the whole movie was located in space, with only the ending scene being on Earth.

Alfonso Cuaron has struck gold with his masterpiece Gravity. It explores the silence of space where all you can hear are your breaths and your thoughts as you spin around aimlessly. This is usually harmless until a crisis like debris comes into play. From then on, Sandra Bullock puts on an amazing performance which will definitely give her an Oscar nod, and George Clooney is his usual affable self.

One thing that really defined this movie's greatness was its careful attention to being realistic. From the tears slipping down Sandra Bullock's cheeks actually floating off her face, to the oxygen in her suit depleting at a steady rate, this movie doesn't look over any detail or flaw. Instead, it uses simplicity and directness to flow the movie along. Nothing was that unbelievable in this movie.

Even though sound was a luxury in this movie, the emotional side of the film was not. Confined to tight spaces, Bullock couldn't really do anything to hide her emotions. She couldn't run anywhere to hide, or walk into a different room. Instead, we all saw and felt what she was going through, and actually cared about what happening to her character.

Another thing this movie did that was great was switch perspectives of the camera. We went from seeing what was happening from the character's eyes, to a third person view, to a wide camera angle, all in a few seconds. And the best part is, the camera was so fluent and coherent that we didn't even notice that the perspectives were changing until it actually happened. Genius filmmaking.

I could go on about this things this movie did right, because to be honest I can't think of anything I didn't like in the movie, which is extremely rare. Overall, this is a new kind of cinema experience that cannot be replicated again. (Yes, that was a challenge, directors!) Everyone in the target audience and beyond should see this movie because of its realistic sense of things and its careful attention to detail. The cinematography is beautiful, and the views and perspectives this movie gives are to die for. The emotional core, themes, and moral lessons this movie offers should be soaked up with ease. And the way it draws you into the story and what's happening is truly an amazing feat.
  38. Oct 13, 2013
    Just...terrific, one of the best movies i ever seen, incredible acting, score, and directed...Most beautiful film ever, must watch...cant breath until now
  39. Oct 7, 2013
    Good but not great movie. Visually, this is a beautiful movie. It's also suspenseful as you want to know what's going to happen next. But it's the kind of movie you can only watch once. After the first time, the movie isn't very interesting. There also there is only one plot in the movie. No sub-plots or side stories.
  40. Oct 7, 2013
    I'm not sure why people are so enamored with this film. It's pretty good, but not spectacular. George Clooney was too much his typical self to give him much credit for acting. Sandra Bullock perhaps pushed into new territory as far as her acting goes, but when her scenes required genuine emotion, she was hardly convincing. The best thing this film has going for it is neither the scriptI'm not sure why people are so enamored with this film. It's pretty good, but not spectacular. George Clooney was too much his typical self to give him much credit for acting. Sandra Bullock perhaps pushed into new territory as far as her acting goes, but when her scenes required genuine emotion, she was hardly convincing. The best thing this film has going for it is neither the script nor the acting, nor even the direction or pacing, but the visual effects. Expand
  41. Nov 8, 2013
    Edgy and ground breaking We felt this film delivered much more than initially thought possible from 2 actors and a basic concept. The movie keeps you connected and on the edge of your seat for pretty much the whole experience. Top notch work by everyone involved!
  42. Oct 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm giving this a 91/100. The movie is beautifully shot and is exciting to watch. It's a testament to Alfonso Cuaron. However, there are some major flaws with the movie that make me feel that it should be rated significantly lower than a 96. First, the writing is bad. It was written by the Cuaron brothers, and I'm not sure if they are professional writers, but there are some major flaws in the writing. For instance, when Sandra Bullock should be breathing slowly to save oxygen, the characters find excuses to talk until their tanks are too low. Second, the movie is incredibly unrealistic in that she is jumping from space station to space station as if they are all only within a few hundred feet of each other. Then, the space debris always come at the perfect time to add suspense to the movie. The movie seems somewhat hollow as it won't leave the audience thinking about anything after it's over it's a simple, although well executed 70 minute modest thriller. I was never really worried for Sandra Bullock's character I didn't really care if she lived or died. It's just a cheap movie. But, the effects are great and I think it probably made it seem like Space more than any other movie before. Expand
  43. Oct 6, 2013
    Exceptional portrayal of the human spirit in both frailty and spirit under the dire stress of life and death scenarios. Stunning special effects and amazing cinematography throughout. Good tempo in the ebb and flow of action and human aspects and never really overdone in trying to add comedy as some Sandra Bullock movies have done. The ending could have been a little better, but worksExceptional portrayal of the human spirit in both frailty and spirit under the dire stress of life and death scenarios. Stunning special effects and amazing cinematography throughout. Good tempo in the ebb and flow of action and human aspects and never really overdone in trying to add comedy as some Sandra Bullock movies have done. The ending could have been a little better, but works for the movie. Though it was a little flat. Highly recommend in IMAX 3-D. Expand
  44. Oct 7, 2013
    Don't see Gravity in hopes of watching Oscar-worthy performances or blinding realism. Instead see Gravity, and I really mean go see Gravity for an hour and a half ride that you really feel a part of. I cannot suggest enough that the ONLY way to see this film is in 3D. I am a complete non-fan of 3D movies they just really don't do it for me and usually detract from the viewingDon't see Gravity in hopes of watching Oscar-worthy performances or blinding realism. Instead see Gravity, and I really mean go see Gravity for an hour and a half ride that you really feel a part of. I cannot suggest enough that the ONLY way to see this film is in 3D. I am a complete non-fan of 3D movies they just really don't do it for me and usually detract from the viewing experience. With Gravity however the entire film is enhanced by the 3D viewing as you really feel like you are floating through space with Bullock especially during the first person camera view scenes. The premise of the movie and several actions within are somewhat farfetched, however if you take the absurd scenes with a grain of salt and emerse yourself in the uncomfortablilty of the situations and the hoplessness of space then you will enjoy yourself for an hour and a half as I did watching this film that pleasantly surprised me. I couldn't recommend it more. Expand
  45. Oct 8, 2013
    Great movie with awesome visuals superb acting and intense atmosphere. Cinematic is beautifully filmed, you feel like you are with Dr. Ryan in every scene. and Definitely an Oscar contender in multiple categories!
  46. Oct 8, 2013
    Intense and gripping! This movie was shot as a simple survival story in space... but I connected to it even more at a much deeper level. The way that the cinematography was shot, I felt I was in space floating with Sandra Bullock's character, Dr. Ryan Stone... that was a technical achievement in itself... But I was also able to feel what it was like to be in the mind of her character
  47. Oct 10, 2013
    GRAVITY: Amazing to see how somebody can choose such topic to film and even surprising how beautifully implemented it Simply Wow Sheer technical finesse with 'awe' This movie fills in void created for space odyssey kind movie in past few years Its no electrifying drama or high octane action Its a simple documentary style movie that grips with its portrayal of simple emotions of fear,GRAVITY: Amazing to see how somebody can choose such topic to film and even surprising how beautifully implemented it Simply Wow Sheer technical finesse with 'awe' This movie fills in void created for space odyssey kind movie in past few years Its no electrifying drama or high octane action Its a simple documentary style movie that grips with its portrayal of simple emotions of fear, win, will, beauty in a magnificent way and technology Running length of less than 2 hrs Favor yourself to this visual treat Must Watch ..

RATING: *

48. Oct 24, 2013
    I think this movie is a masterpiece and the best use of 3D technology I have seen. Cuaron is an extraordinary director and film maker, I certainly hope he gets the Oscar for best film, I had not enjoyed a movie so much in a long time, I think it will be a landmark for generations. Go see it in 4DX.
  49. Oct 13, 2013
    Seems to be very overrated by both critics and fans, but I still liked it. Not an all-time classic like some are saying, but a good film that I'd recommend seeing. The CGI and 3D were appealing, but the plot and characters were not. Not a bad film, but I won't be seeing it again for a while. A solid 6/10.
  50. Oct 13, 2013
    The movie was amazing and exciting,performoance's sandra bullock was excellent worthy academy awards just 2 words "simply wonderful", it's the best movie have had the film director "Alfonso Cuaron"
  51. Oct 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I had high hopes on this movie, i thought it would be more intense, the whole time, like in the beginning of the movie when she was spinning without control and later alone in the space, amazing. Awesome graphics, but after george clooney died its like a Friday the 13th for sandra bullock and the only way that she can realize how to get back to earth is to have a trip thinking like George Clooney's character. In despite of that it was really entertaining Expand
  52. Oct 15, 2013
    The newspaper critics listed here on metacritic must have been shown a different film to the one I just watched. How can it be that this film with no substantial story/script/science and thoroughly patronising depiction of a female astronaut is being hailed as a masterpiece on par with Kubrick's 2001? Utter nonsense. If you thought Prometheus was visually stunning but utter nonsense withThe newspaper critics listed here on metacritic must have been shown a different film to the one I just watched. How can it be that this film with no substantial story/script/science and thoroughly patronising depiction of a female astronaut is being hailed as a masterpiece on par with Kubrick's 2001? Utter nonsense. If you thought Prometheus was visually stunning but utter nonsense with regard to the character development and story/script, then avoid this movie at all costs. I am giving this film 3 marks out of 10 for the stunning visuals alone. Expand
  53. Oct 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Let me start by saying there were elements of Gravity that I enjoyed, but I felt it was lacking in some regards. Here are my thoughts. May contain spoilers!

Gravity (Ailurus fulgens), also called lesser velocity and red quantum physics is a small feature film native to the eastern space and southwestern  space that has been classified as Vulnerable by IUCN as its wild population is estimated at less than 10,000 mature individuals. The population continues to decline and is threatened by habitat loss and fragmentation, poaching, and inbreeding depression, although red gravity are protected by national laws in their range countries. The red velocity is slightly larger than a George Clooney. It has reddish-brown Oscars, a long, shaggy budget, and a waddling Sandra Bullock due to its shorter front legs. It feeds mainly on outer space, but its galaxy eggs, birds, insects, and small mammals. It is a mainly solitary film from dusk to dawn, and is largely sedentary during the day.

The red velocity is the only living species of the genus Ailurus and the family Ailuridae. It has been previously placed in the science fiction and horror  families, but results of phylogenetic research indicate strong support for its taxonomic classification in its own family Ailuridae, which along with the Clooney family is part of the superfamily Musteloidea. Two subspecies are recognized. It is not closely related to the giant velocity.

Still not as good as Left 4 Love.
  54. Oct 16, 2013
    Loved the movie, but I'm amazed that NOBODY (not the critics or the public) noticed the obvious homage (or maybe parody) of the opening scene in "Barbarella" when Bullock enters the Soyuz station and peels her spacesuit. It's accurate down to the glove removal.
  55. Oct 19, 2013
    Probably the most "real" movie I have seen in years. My friends have raised their eyebrows for the first few minutes of the movie thinking that it would be boring and all. But after when the first accident happened, the movie pulled all of us inside. There was no letting go. We were grabbing our chairs hard. And those who thought it would be dull stood up and gave a standing ovation afterProbably the most "real" movie I have seen in years. My friends have raised their eyebrows for the first few minutes of the movie thinking that it would be boring and all. But after when the first accident happened, the movie pulled all of us inside. There was no letting go. We were grabbing our chairs hard. And those who thought it would be dull stood up and gave a standing ovation after the ending. This is what I would call not just a movie but an experience. Expand
  56. Oct 17, 2013
    a fun adventure from beginning to end. but i felt that the movie had to many Over Dramatic moments. I will not show any spoiler's but i still do recommend this movie if you like space exploration and that Survival Instinct feeling.
  57. Nov 14, 2013
    Implausible plot, implausible characters, weak symbolism. Boring, not tense. Earns a 5 for special effects. Essentially Cast Away in space with less coherent character development.
  58. Oct 19, 2013
    While it is enjoyable; I feel it is overrated. The critics reacted as if the movie was truly phenomenal and ground breaking. While the special effects were good, the movie didn't draw me in emotionally as much as I had hoped.
  59. Oct 20, 2013
    Let yourself travel into Cuaron's visionary narrative movie, 3D has never been so full of emotions and thrill as it has in this movie. This is by far the best movie I've seen in the last years, nothing like it so far, the feel of being in space reminds me of the same feeling I had with Kubrick's 2001 a space odyssey, a movie where space was cleverly designed to fulfill my mindsLet yourself travel into Cuaron's visionary narrative movie, 3D has never been so full of emotions and thrill as it has in this movie. This is by far the best movie I've seen in the last years, nothing like it so far, the feel of being in space reminds me of the same feeling I had with Kubrick's 2001 a space odyssey, a movie where space was cleverly designed to fulfill my minds imagination, Cuaron does this again in a beautiful narrative movie. Expand
  60. Oct 20, 2013
    Gravity is something new and unexpected that people wanted to see. It makes best use of 3D technology and is awesomely breathtaking. It is crossing 200 million dollars in just two weeks and it hasn't released in UK yet. It will explode the box office. The movie has everything: starting from action, emotions, pranks, jokes, inspiration, and awesome special effects. I enjoyed the whole 91Gravity is something new and unexpected that people wanted to see. It makes best use of 3D technology and is awesomely breathtaking. It is crossing 200 million dollars in just two weeks and it hasn't released in UK yet. It will explode the box office. The movie has everything: starting from action, emotions, pranks, jokes, inspiration, and awesome special effects. I enjoyed the whole 91 minutes period and Gravity has become my favourite movie. Expand
  61. Oct 22, 2013
    People who gave Gravity a high rating obviously don't know much about the current state of the art of space travel or satellite orbits.

The cinematography is great for sure. Cinematography gets a 10. Technical inaccuracies and ridiculous plot line keep Gravity from being anything like the experience of 2001: A Space Odyssey.
  62. Nov 16, 2013
    Thoroughly enjoyable action thriller that kept me on the edge of my seat throughout! Great visuals (probably the first film since avatar to make good use of 3D) and even better sound effects. Bullock and George Clooney nail their roles but it is ultimately the fast paced intense action sequences that earns my recommendation to watch this film. One of the best of 2013, go out and see thisThoroughly enjoyable action thriller that kept me on the edge of my seat throughout! Great visuals (probably the first film since avatar to make good use of 3D) and even better sound effects. Bullock and George Clooney nail their roles but it is ultimately the fast paced intense action sequences that earns my recommendation to watch this film. One of the best of 2013, go out and see this on the big screen while you still can. Expand
  63. Nov 25, 2013
    Magnificent. Perfect visuals, direction, atmosphere, and music. An absolute Tour de Force from director Alfonso Cuaron. Just a modern space masterpiece. Its no Solaris or 2001: A Space Odyssey, but its destined to become a classic.
  64. Nov 12, 2013
    Gravity is simply an incredible (emotional) journey. I saw it in IMAX and it completely blew my mind. I just sat there and stared at the beautiful scenery. The cinematography is amazing, and it'll surely win an Academy Award for Emmanuel Lubezki for this masterful work. I can only praise this movie really. The acting (Bullock is excellent), the music, the atmosphere... it's nearGravity is simply an incredible (emotional) journey. I saw it in IMAX and it completely blew my mind. I just sat there and stared at the beautiful scenery. The cinematography is amazing, and it'll surely win an Academy Award for Emmanuel Lubezki for this masterful work. I can only praise this movie really. The acting (Bullock is excellent), the music, the atmosphere... it's near perfection. Go see it in IMAX if you haven't already, you won't regret it. It's easily one of the best films of the year, and probably one of the best I've ever seen. Expand
  65. Oct 29, 2013
    A fantastic, intense and gripping sci-fi film! The camerawork, the visual effects acting and pacing were all perfect, and the two lead roles were really good! I don't know why some people seem to dislike it; It truly is worth seeing.
  66. Oct 29, 2013
    I know that I will get drowned out by almost 900 reviews that have been written by Metacritic users for this film. That just goes to show how popular this film was. I have to repeat what everyone else is chanting: the hype is fully justified, as this is NOT your run-off-the-mill sci-fi movie. This is a movie that excels not only in its mind-blowing special effects, but also in itsI know that I will get drowned out by almost 900 reviews that have been written by Metacritic users for this film. That just goes to show how popular this film was. I have to repeat what everyone else is chanting: the hype is fully justified, as this is NOT your run-off-the-mill sci-fi movie. This is a movie that excels not only in its mind-blowing special effects, but also in its cinematic value. This is, in fact, one of the best movies that has come out in the past five years or so, and is definitely worth a trip to the theater, the 3D glasses, and a large buttered popcorn with a soda. A must-see for all movie goers. Expand
  67. Nov 2, 2013
    i thought that i was having phisic class! great visual effects,sandra bullocks its great.
    Clooney doesn't apear to much but the part that we was acting,was funny.
  68. Nov 2, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. In a word: Boring.
    I was sorely disappointed by this film. I knew from the advertisements and some reviews I briefly glimpsed at (so as not the have the movie "spoiled" for me), what I was getting myself into. I can appreciate the fact that there is very little sound and the colour palette is very restricted. Survival movies focusing primarily on one character can still incorporate an interesting story. This did not. At all.
    This movie had so many wasted opportunities. Elaborate on characters' backstories. Display awesome imagery of space and Earth (like show us the Great Wall of China or something). Instead we got to listen to a country music radio station and heavy breathing for over an hour. Get ready to suspend belief.

We're expected to believe that a woman as scrawny as Sandra Bullock is able to open a pressurized port-hole door and have it swing violently open? We expected to believe that she is strong enough to grip onto handles and bars while flying through space? We're expected to believe that while her life is on the line she's still able to crack wisecrack jokes to herself? We're expected to believe that during every stop she makes along her space travels her oxygen tanks magically refill? We're expected to believe she can propel herself along a very precise path with a fire extinguisher? We're expected to believe that by randomly pressing buttons (she literally plays "eeny meeny miney mo") on a complex space control panel, you're able to get back to Earth?
    This movie failed on every level!
  69. Nov 20, 2013
    Few other movies can exploit the empathy the audience is capable of feeling for the protagonist of a movie so well. And when said protagonist is placed in a situation so dire, so desperate, and so lonely, you're with her on the experience the whole way through; and that experience, doesn't have a single dull moment. Simply outstanding.
  70. Feb 28, 2014
    While the visuals and sound brought this up a couple of points for me, the story itself was linear, very predictable and just boring. Seriously cannot see what all the fuss was about....
  71. Nov 30, 2013
    I'm sorry to say that overall this movie was a great disappointment with no real charm apart the residual left over from George Clooney's performance. A generic and implausible set of events wrapped up in amazing visuals, sound familiar?
  72. Nov 8, 2013
    We are transported to space. It is amazing, gripping, breathtaking. I need to see it again.
    Unmissable. It is what it is: an extreme survival story in space.
  73. Nov 8, 2013
    Gripping film with magnificent visuals and a compelling story with an abundant of suspenseful scenes perfectly woven together in this sure-to-be classic
  74. Nov 9, 2013
    Overrated. This word pretty much sums up Gravity as a movie. There is little character depth and the storyline is pretty dull. In the end it was just an action movie, with pretty good visuals. With reviewers saying this is the best movie in year, my expectations for the movie was extremely high. This movie had a predictable plot and failed to keep me interested for too long. TheOverrated. This word pretty much sums up Gravity as a movie. There is little character depth and the storyline is pretty dull. In the end it was just an action movie, with pretty good visuals. With reviewers saying this is the best movie in year, my expectations for the movie was extremely high. This movie had a predictable plot and failed to keep me interested for too long. The science behind the movie was awful, but I wasn't expecting the movie to be very realistic at all. I would recommend seeing this movie yourself so you can form your own opinion, but don't expect a thought provoking masterpiece. Expand
  75. Nov 9, 2013
    This is undisputedly one of the most well written movies of the year. It only has two characters (spoiler alert!) Yet it remained relatively funny with George Clooneys signature comic relief. The reason for this unusually high rating is no surprise. I find it interesting just from personal experience that people who see this movie will either LOVE this movie, or will puke during all of theThis is undisputedly one of the most well written movies of the year. It only has two characters (spoiler alert!) Yet it remained relatively funny with George Clooneys signature comic relief. The reason for this unusually high rating is no surprise. I find it interesting just from personal experience that people who see this movie will either LOVE this movie, or will puke during all of the nauseating scenes of space crashes and uncontrolled flight. I recommend you see this movie, just bring a barf bag! Expand
  76. Nov 9, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This film was pretty intense and at the same time, not. A lot of boring scenes and nothing really going on, then several scenes where Bullock should have died about 200 times over. The ending REALLY pissed me off by leaving off too much to wonder. She could have died of starvation right there on the beach, OR she could have moved on and lived a new life, OR return back to NASA. Too much left unsaid. Now, the film and special effects was very excellent and the scenes that weren't boring had a lot going for them. Overall, the movie is worth seeing. Expand
  77. Nov 10, 2013
    Visually stunning film with composition that is absolutely clean and elegant; everything comes together in this film to form a perfect creation that will stay with me for along time. Took a while to come off all the emotions it created. One of the best films I have seen in a very very long time.
  78. Nov 11, 2013
    I found Gravity to be disappointing, though i'm not sure if its because its a very average film, or simply because I'd heard so much praise about it from critics and reviewers that i had unrealistic expectations about how good it was going to be. The performances from Bullock and Clooney are decent, and theres some very stunning visuals and nice touches throughout the entire film.I found Gravity to be disappointing, though i'm not sure if its because its a very average film, or simply because I'd heard so much praise about it from critics and reviewers that i had unrealistic expectations about how good it was going to be. The performances from Bullock and Clooney are decent, and theres some very stunning visuals and nice touches throughout the entire film. Ultimately however, i felt the film never really built up into anything. If you're thinking about seeing it, i have a single piece of advice: Ignore everything you've heard or read about it, and enter the cinema without any prior expectations. Expand
  79. Nov 12, 2013
    that movie is as short as it give you the meaning that the normal classic movie did survive in that movie wasn't easier as normal movie which put hero in a large distance in a real situation with a scientifically problem make you believe the situation and otherwise it's make a lot of people hasten to be astronaut that made my think that is the technology of the movie is so strong and inthat movie is as short as it give you the meaning that the normal classic movie did survive in that movie wasn't easier as normal movie which put hero in a large distance in a real situation with a scientifically problem make you believe the situation and otherwise it's make a lot of people hasten to be astronaut that made my think that is the technology of the movie is so strong and in the monument Expand
  80. Nov 12, 2013
    Original, unpredictable, edge of your seat movie. The true terror of isolation is explored in excruciating detail Director Alfonso Cuarón knows how to stretch out the sheer horror of impending death and boy does he hold you right there, so you can taste every fleeting moment. Excellently paced and completely sucker punch filled, Gravity is a breath of fresh air that cinema needs and soOriginal, unpredictable, edge of your seat movie. The true terror of isolation is explored in excruciating detail Director Alfonso Cuarón knows how to stretch out the sheer horror of impending death and boy does he hold you right there, so you can taste every fleeting moment. Excellently paced and completely sucker punch filled, Gravity is a breath of fresh air that cinema needs and so does Sandra Bullock, who shines as as stricken astronaut Dr. Ryan Stone. Brilliant. Expand
  81. Nov 12, 2013
    I'll begin with the positives (mainly because I have very few criticisms): The most notable and favourable aspect of the film are the visual effects. It's obvious that the majority of the film's $105,000,000 budget went on them as they are pure state-of-the-art and probably the best I've seen in a film to date; they create an amazing atmosphere (no pun intended) and I've never seen theI'll begin with the positives (mainly because I have very few criticisms): The most notable and favourable aspect of the film are the visual effects. It's obvious that the majority of the film's $105,000,000 budget went on them as they are pure state-of-the-art and probably the best I've seen in a film to date; they create an amazing atmosphere (no pun intended) and I've never seen the Earth look so gorgeous. Secondly, the acting. The (more or less) two man cast brings a sense of loneliness and makes the vast spacescape look even bigger. Bullock and Clooney are perfect choices for the parts and they do their job well with Bullock switching it up a little with gender roles. Thirdly; the cinematography. The camera angles are absolutely brilliant and they really give the film a realistic feel. Fourthly; the realism. The film keeps very close to realism when it comes to the physics; a notable part would be the soundless destruction of the space stations. The films 90 minute run-time may seem quite short for a sci-fi thriller but this serves plenty and leaves a lasting effect on the viewer. I'd recommend Gravity for anyone; you don't have to be a sci-fi movie buff to enjoy this visual masterpiece. I have hardly any criticisms apart from the films storyline didn't quite go in my favour but that doesn't douse its brilliance. All I can say now is, See you at the Academy Awards Gravity! Expand
  82. Nov 13, 2013
    Gravity reminded me of the Disney movie from 2000 called "Dinosaur" The reason is because this was a visually stunning movie. Absolutely beautiful in every way. But once people started talking I didn't like it. That's how Dinosaur should have been and that's how Gravity should have been. Just give me rad shots of people floating in space in 3d and I'm happy, the story was ok, but IGravity reminded me of the Disney movie from 2000 called "Dinosaur" The reason is because this was a visually stunning movie. Absolutely beautiful in every way. But once people started talking I didn't like it. That's how Dinosaur should have been and that's how Gravity should have been. Just give me rad shots of people floating in space in 3d and I'm happy, the story was ok, but I just couldn't imagine anyone in space acting all weird like that. I didn't really care about the characters, but I really care about real astronauts. So that's my feeling on Gravity, watch it with earplugs and make up your own story. It will be a wonderful piece of visual art and a lot of fun. George Clooney is always cool though, I gotta give him props! Expand
  83. Nov 15, 2013
    This movie is much more than a couple of moron astronauts trying to get back to earth after a space disaster. This film is really about the choices that you make in life, it is about cause and effect, it is about the idea that we are walking on the razor's edge always. If you pay attention to what happens in the film you see that greed and ambition and hubris will come back and bite you.This movie is much more than a couple of moron astronauts trying to get back to earth after a space disaster. This film is really about the choices that you make in life, it is about cause and effect, it is about the idea that we are walking on the razor's edge always. If you pay attention to what happens in the film you see that greed and ambition and hubris will come back and bite you. Karma is a biatch. Expand
  84. Nov 20, 2013
    In all my years of being an avid film-goer, I have never been so captivated by 90 minutes of cinema. Gravity is a paragon of art, that displays that there are no technical boundaries with regards to special effects. Do not think that this film, being a survival film set in space, will trudge through its entire length with no intense moments. It promises to deliver, and after the first 5In all my years of being an avid film-goer, I have never been so captivated by 90 minutes of cinema. Gravity is a paragon of art, that displays that there are no technical boundaries with regards to special effects. Do not think that this film, being a survival film set in space, will trudge through its entire length with no intense moments. It promises to deliver, and after the first 5 minutes you are catapulted into an adventure filled with exquisite beauty and moments that will have you holding your breath. Expand
  85. Nov 16, 2013
    A must see in theaters. Very glad I didn't just wait for this on Bluray! Intense graphics alone are worth the price of admission. Now I'll admit this was a little thin on story but if you want some eye candy go see it.
  86. Nov 17, 2013
    A movie that shows to the public, how a small story can be at same time a big story. Afonso shows us where the human can go and how can go. You have to watch at less 3 times to really understand what Gravity is. Surprised me 9/10.
  87. Nov 19, 2013
    GRAVITY Don't Let This Go!
    It's a Visual Paradise. The film transports you to space in every cinematic way possible.
    Sandra Bullock was good, the premise was amazing and your heart will be racing through the whole experience!
    Camera and Direction was innovative
    3Dfx and vfx were breathtaking
    Sound Effects AWESOME!!

Go watch it An experience you won't forget!
  88. Nov 20, 2013
    Gravity may have been one of my favorite and Greatest movies of all time, however, it does have it's faults. My biggest problem with this movie was the soundtrack (not sound effects), the soundtrack in this just felt like a cheap way of raising tension without really having any substance... The sound effects on the other hand were dazzling, when something bad was happening, it was clearGravity may have been one of my favorite and Greatest movies of all time, however, it does have it's faults. My biggest problem with this movie was the soundtrack (not sound effects), the soundtrack in this just felt like a cheap way of raising tension without really having any substance... The sound effects on the other hand were dazzling, when something bad was happening, it was clear through the absolutely superb sound design. One of the most impressive things about this movie is the way it was shot, Alfonso Cuaron is known for his extra-long takes which play right into the ballpark of Gravity. Throughout the entire movie, the shots that lingered for a while, never felt like they had overstayed there welcome, every shot had a purpose and intrigued a certain emotion. All in all, this was an exceptional movie that is worth anyone's time (best to watch in 3D)!

I give this movie an 8.5!
  89. Nov 21, 2013
    Amazing! The effects are absolutely beautiful and for once the 3D actually feels important. The film is a well acted thrill ride through an insane array of difficulties. At times I almost felt too caught up in the film and afterwards I was kind of exhausted after 90 minutes of having a very high pulse.
  90. Nov 21, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This film is dire. Goodness knows how it comes by such critical acclaim. The CGI is excellent, but when you've whirled around in space for the umpteenth time the novelty starts to wear off. There is almost no plot. There is no realism in the dynamics of free fall. You just can't dangle on the end of a rope when there's no gravity. The film just repeats the same scenes over and over. Bullock tries to use US reentry vehicle, but it all goes horribly wrong, then the Russian reentry vehicle, but it all goes horribly wrong, then the Chinese one, which works, hoorah! Each change of vehicle necessitate Bullock squeezing in and out of her spacesuit in her underwear hang on isn't that Ripley's thing in Alien? When Bullock is under stress she hums to herself (hang on isn't etc etc). And oh God protect us from American (sorry guys) schmatlz. Bullock has a young daughter, but that's not enough, it has to be a dead daughter, but that's not enough, after Clooney dies, Bullock sends him off with a message for her dead daughter. Ugh. As someone else here said, given the way disaster is piled on disaster it was a wonder there wasn't an alligator shark monster from the black lagoon in the lake that she so fortuitously landed in. Expand
  91. Nov 23, 2013
    A spectacle to say the least; Gravity is a beautifully executed anxiety attack with no intention of letting up. A film well worth its universal acclaim.
  92. Nov 23, 2013
    This is a gripping and thrilling film that kept me on the edge of my seat all the way through. The graphics were AMAZING! I actually thought they filmed this in space because it was SO realistic. George Clooney was great and funny even in the most serious parts of the film, and Sandra Bullock made it so realistic! It totally attacked my emotions and I felt physically and mentally exhaustedThis is a gripping and thrilling film that kept me on the edge of my seat all the way through. The graphics were AMAZING! I actually thought they filmed this in space because it was SO realistic. George Clooney was great and funny even in the most serious parts of the film, and Sandra Bullock made it so realistic! It totally attacked my emotions and I felt physically and mentally exhausted afterwards. I recommend this to everyone and it may sound like a boring old space movie but it will blow you away!!! I highly recommend this so go watch it NOW!! Expand
  93. Dec 3, 2013
    How could I possibly like this movie???
    Piece of crap. Nothing more than a lady jumping around in space looking for space station and successfully landed on Earth... but exciting and thrilling.
  94. Jan 27, 2014
    Visuals, atmosphere, Immersion is Triple AAA no doubt. Cinema Technology showcasing its unlimited potential as we watch stunning visuals in IMAX. However, visuals alone cannot make a movie good. The storyline was unfortunately below average with VERY VERY weak character development. Im not saying the acting was bad.. its just there is absolutely nothing interesting about their characters.Visuals, atmosphere, Immersion is Triple AAA no doubt. Cinema Technology showcasing its unlimited potential as we watch stunning visuals in IMAX. However, visuals alone cannot make a movie good. The storyline was unfortunately below average with VERY VERY weak character development. Im not saying the acting was bad.. its just there is absolutely nothing interesting about their characters. This movie definately does not deserve a 0 or 1 rating, but im afraid more than 5 or 6 is pushing it. The movie had the potential, it just did not deliver Expand
  95. Apr 13, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Regardless of whether or not it was scientifically accurate (I'm not a scientist, I'm a film-lover), I found a lot to like about "Gravity". The dazzling visual innovations were beyond belief - echoing the sentiments of others, Alfonso Cuarón emerges as a virtuoso of cinema, rendering "Gravity" with such sheer brilliance I was often left speechless by the magnificence of what I was witnessing. The direction is accentuated by stunning cinematography, a sleek editing job and a score that's a true thing of beauty. Sandra Bullock's soulfully hysterical immersion immersion in the lead pays off, and Clooney is reliably charismatic (before heroically perishing in the depths of space.) The story does get bogged down in sentimentality, though, and that's the film's biggest flaw. This doesn't blunt the finale, however, a showcase of such visual splendor it made me want to jump for joy. Expand
  96. Jan 2, 2014
    Very good Alfonso Cuaron, you did it right, with just one stage, and two experimented actors you made an amazing suspense sci-fi movie. But why the story and the dialogue has to be so limited? I think you could done something better.
    Anyway, Gravity is the perfect movie for someone who loves visual effects and intense scenes of drama.
  97. Jan 23, 2014
    One of the most over-rated films in the modern era. At times truly ungripping, this film is just about saved by some breath-taking cinematography. But you can only gawp at breaking machinery and planet Earth for so long, and after about 20 minutes the film settles into a distinctly average film and much like the main character I can't wait to return to Earth.
  98. Jul 1, 2014
    Some scenes look beautiful, but that's about all I can say that's positive. The laws of physics are broken several times, in the first collision, the guy who was exposed to the vacuum of space should have exploded due to the pressure difference, in the process of docking with the several space stations it's highly unlikely that the difference in velocities would be anything less than theSome scenes look beautiful, but that's about all I can say that's positive. The laws of physics are broken several times, in the first collision, the guy who was exposed to the vacuum of space should have exploded due to the pressure difference, in the process of docking with the several space stations it's highly unlikely that the difference in velocities would be anything less than the speed of a bullet.

For a 91 minute movie one would not expect to be bored and wishing for it's termination, but that is how I felt about this movie. The story of this movie consists solely on a series of extremely unlikely and seemingly inescapable impasses, that 'somehow' are overcome.
  99. Feb 22, 2014
    Now obviously I don't have to say anything about the visuals of this movie and how astounding they are because you'll hear that from anyone who sees it. I would also say Sandra Bullocks acting is very well done despite not getting the best written character. The script in my opinion is the biggest weak point to this movie for me. The first time the debris hits them I was blown away, and INow obviously I don't have to say anything about the visuals of this movie and how astounding they are because you'll hear that from anyone who sees it. I would also say Sandra Bullocks acting is very well done despite not getting the best written character. The script in my opinion is the biggest weak point to this movie for me. The first time the debris hits them I was blown away, and I was really excited and anxious about if they would make it. But then it just seems t repeat itself over and over again and I started to care a little less after each bad thing that happens to her. This is one of the unluckiest people ever. Worth a watch for the amazing visuals but that pretty much the only reason to watch it, just like Avatar. Expand
  100. Feb 11, 2014
    Visually, I've never seen anything quite like it. My problem was that I I had a hard time turning off the technician side of my brain. I treated this film as a scenario rather than sci-fi, and frankly, I didn't buy it. (And from the comments I heard recently by the astronauts aboard the ISS who saw the film, neither did they.) Too many laws of physics broken for my taste.

Bullock did a

Bullock did a fairly good job as Ryan Stone, but Clooney's alpha-male bluster made me want to wretch.

Great effects don't make a great movie. They are supposed to enhance a strong story and 'Gravity' is certainly lacking in that department.

Having said all of that, I was entertained for 90 minutes, so I can't trash this film completely...but a Best Picture nomination...you gotta be kidding me.

Gotta call a spade a spade...'Gravity' is at best a great idea for a simulation ride at Universal Studios, nothing more.

1. Reviewed by: James Mottram
    Nov 3, 2013
    A stunning space saga that takes off for new technical frontiers without leaving its humanity behind.
  2. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Oct 6, 2013
    Gravity is not a film of ideas, like Kubrick's techno-mystical "2001," but it's an overwhelming physical experience -- a challenge to the senses that engages every kind of dread. [7 Oct. 2013, p.88]
  3. Reviewed by: Dana Stevens
    Oct 4, 2013
    This is not to say that Gravity is a masterpiece: Unlike Cuarón’s extraordinary "Children of Men", it doesn’t quite pull off its ambitious effort to combine formal inventiveness, heart-pounding action, and intimate human storytelling. But it succeeds thrillingly at the first two of those categories, and only misses the mark on the last because it tries a little too hard — which is certainly a welcome respite from the countless sci-fi thrillers that privilege the human story not at all.