7.8

1. Nov 10, 2013
    Visually stunning film with composition that is absolutely clean and elegant; everything comes together in this film to form a perfect creation that will stay with me for along time. Took a while to come off all the emotions it created. One of the best films I have seen in a very very long time.
  2. Nov 13, 2013
    Gravity reminded me of the Disney movie from 2000 called "Dinosaur" The reason is because this was a visually stunning movie. Absolutely beautiful in every way. But once people started talking I didn't like it. That's how Dinosaur should have been and that's how Gravity should have been. Just give me rad shots of people floating in space in 3d and I'm happy, the story was ok, but IGravity reminded me of the Disney movie from 2000 called "Dinosaur" The reason is because this was a visually stunning movie. Absolutely beautiful in every way. But once people started talking I didn't like it. That's how Dinosaur should have been and that's how Gravity should have been. Just give me rad shots of people floating in space in 3d and I'm happy, the story was ok, but I just couldn't imagine anyone in space acting all weird like that. I didn't really care about the characters, but I really care about real astronauts. So that's my feeling on Gravity, watch it with earplugs and make up your own story. It will be a wonderful piece of visual art and a lot of fun. George Clooney is always cool though, I gotta give him props! Expand
  3. Nov 15, 2013
    This movie is much more than a couple of moron astronauts trying to get back to earth after a space disaster. This film is really about the choices that you make in life, it is about cause and effect, it is about the idea that we are walking on the razor's edge always. If you pay attention to what happens in the film you see that greed and ambition and hubris will come back and bite you.This movie is much more than a couple of moron astronauts trying to get back to earth after a space disaster. This film is really about the choices that you make in life, it is about cause and effect, it is about the idea that we are walking on the razor's edge always. If you pay attention to what happens in the film you see that greed and ambition and hubris will come back and bite you. Karma is a biatch. Expand
  4. Jul 1, 2014
    Some scenes look beautiful, but that's about all I can say that's positive. The laws of physics are broken several times, in the first collision, the guy who was exposed to the vacuum of space should have exploded due to the pressure difference, in the process of docking with the several space stations it's highly unlikely that the difference in velocities would be anything less than theSome scenes look beautiful, but that's about all I can say that's positive. The laws of physics are broken several times, in the first collision, the guy who was exposed to the vacuum of space should have exploded due to the pressure difference, in the process of docking with the several space stations it's highly unlikely that the difference in velocities would be anything less than the speed of a bullet.

For a 91 minute movie one would not expect to be bored and wishing for it's termination, but that is how I felt about this movie. The story of this movie consists solely on a series of extremely unlikely and seemingly inescapable impasses, that 'somehow' are overcome.
  5. Feb 15, 2014
    Before seeing this movie in theaters, I had a feeling that it was going to be bland. I was right. The 14-word summary on Metacritic ("After debris destroys their space shuttle, two astronauts desperately try to return to Earth.") pretty much sums up the entire, barely-there plot of this movie. With only a handful on on-screen characters, and very little dialogue, the 91 minute runtime ofBefore seeing this movie in theaters, I had a feeling that it was going to be bland. I was right. The 14-word summary on Metacritic ("After debris destroys their space shuttle, two astronauts desperately try to return to Earth.") pretty much sums up the entire, barely-there plot of this movie. With only a handful on on-screen characters, and very little dialogue, the 91 minute runtime of this movie consisted of floating sequences, dull periods of silence, and more floating sequences. While this movie excelled in developing a realistic and encompassing space environment, it is not a movie I would ever see again. Expand
  6. Mar 2, 2014
    Better than '12 years a slave'?
    Oscar winner 2014?
    Let's watch it!
    And it was sooooo booooring. Uhh.
    The lauded earth and space sequences - omg, Avatar was much more inspiring in that respect.
    Only the over 70s in the academy jury could like that.
  7. Mar 30, 2014
    I am shocked how bad this movie is, taking into account all the hype that's in the air. It looks good, but the plot is weak and trivial. Also, for the sake of the plot, science is just ignored in few scenes. How exactly you ask ? Well, picturing wrong the force of GRAVITY is a good example! Btw, the title is very loosely refering to the movie, it doesn't have much sense.
    Again, if you
    Again, if you like CGI effects and that's good enough you will be happy. If that's not enough, save 90 mins of your life.
  8. Jul 6, 2014
    This movies does not deserve a overall score of 96. This movie is nothing more than a pretty roller coaster ride. Outside of the visuals, the script is terrible. C+ movie AT BEST
  9. Jun 13, 2014
    Worst Movie of the Decade. Why was it nominated for Oscars in the first place? In understand why they won best visual effects in a motion picture. But Really who enjoys this stuff?
  10. Jul 4, 2014
    Now "Gravity" is truly amazing, but it is only worth watching in 3D and on the biggest screen available. Otherwise, non of its cinematic magic and brilliance will reach You.
  11. Nov 8, 2014
    Tame and Lame! You Have Got To Be Kidding Me! Where's the Rest of the Story? When Gravity ended my friend and I looked at each other and said simultaneously: "That's It?" We both thought the movie was far from over! It's the first time in years I had to literally apologize for picking such a lousy movie for a friend to see!

Sandra Bullock's acting was terrible and unconvincing. And, she

Sandra Bullock's acting was terrible and unconvincing. And, she looked like she was constipated most of the time. George Clooney came across just too perfect for such a life and death situation. He was too much like a saint in outer space!

I also felt mightily deceived by both the film's movie trailer and by the official news media critics that fawned all over this pitiful movie! Gravity is so tame and lame you could take a child to see it without a second thought! It certainly won't offend a soul on planet earth!

But worst of all, was the ending! After you a watch a film you want to feel like there was a beginning, middle and end. In Gravity your jaw is left hanging because there's was no satisfying ending. My friend and I both felt like we were in the the middle of the story when the film ended! BORING!
  12. Nov 18, 2014
    Wow. This movie is quite simply unbearable to watch. While the visuals are compelling and groundbreaking, the script is so horribly mundane, cliche, and unbelievable that the film comes off as unintentionally comic material. George Clooney does the best with what he is given; however, his character's arc is so brief it leaves you wanting more than just Sandra Bullock in a tight tank top.Wow. This movie is quite simply unbearable to watch. While the visuals are compelling and groundbreaking, the script is so horribly mundane, cliche, and unbelievable that the film comes off as unintentionally comic material. George Clooney does the best with what he is given; however, his character's arc is so brief it leaves you wanting more than just Sandra Bullock in a tight tank top. Furthermore, not only is the entire film's premise a stretch of basic space science, the ending is extremely unrewarding and empty. Please, save yourself some brain cells and some time, and choose something else to watch. Expand
  13. Dec 26, 2014
    I really have to say this is one of the very worst movies I have ever seen. I really did not expect a mind blowing sci-fi movie but this movie was honestly so boring and so senseless.. there is no comparison. I try very hard to find one positive thing about the movie but I cant. Even the effects and the sound are far from being excellent or mind blowing. This movie is just a very big failI really have to say this is one of the very worst movies I have ever seen. I really did not expect a mind blowing sci-fi movie but this movie was honestly so boring and so senseless.. there is no comparison. I try very hard to find one positive thing about the movie but I cant. Even the effects and the sound are far from being excellent or mind blowing. This movie is just a very big fail and waste of time. Rating this movie with more than 0 proves bad taste. I dont see any reason to give more than a 0 rating to this movie, maybe somebody can enlighten me Expand
  14. Oct 8, 2013
    This movie sucked. Badly. The first 20minutes are cool and have a great cinematic feel. (Saw it in IMAX 3D)
    The film quickly goes away from these cinematic views to unravel the story which is pathetic and told by terrible acting.
    Very, very poor film. After 30 minutes you've had enough of this weak woman to want to leave the theater. It is aggravating to watch. Giving it a 2 for the

Giving it a 2 for the first 20minutes of cinematics.
  15. Oct 5, 2013
    Given the rave reviews, this film was disappointing. In 3D & Imax, it was disappointing 3D, but no question the visuals were impressive, outer space, how could it not be, so see it in IMAX if you can.

I felt little empathy for the characters as we didn't get to know them first and Sandra Bullock's character was a downer, how did she ever qualify as an astronaut? She was suffering from depression!

The plot and character development was melodramatic, and the dialogue stilted., given the character's' situation.

Worth seeing but don't drink the coolade!
  16. Oct 6, 2013
    I would never waste the time to do this ever in my life, but for the first time, I had to register on this website just to give a review of this movie, first of all, If you're not affected by it, 3d should be your first and only option to see this movie. This is one movie that I followed on imdb as it climbed up from 8.4 to 8.8 now on its ratings. I have never been so stunned. This movieI would never waste the time to do this ever in my life, but for the first time, I had to register on this website just to give a review of this movie, first of all, If you're not affected by it, 3d should be your first and only option to see this movie. This is one movie that I followed on imdb as it climbed up from 8.4 to 8.8 now on its ratings. I have never been so stunned. This movie is breathtaking, there's no way to describe this movie to convince you to go watch it. This movie is one of the very first of its kind and makes you think when watching rather than making it too obvious like other movies nowadays. This movie got me on the edge of my seat, I was just mesmerized at how a movie could be so good. WOOOOW!!!, special effects, acting, breathtaking visuals, fiction at its best and good idea. This is one of the very first movie that made me want to pay again in the same theater and wait to watch the next time it was showing the same day. YOU HAVE TO SEE THIS MOVIEEEEEEEE!!!!!, IT'S NOT JUST WHAT PEOPLE SAY. It's interesting, brilliant and drags you into it's world more and more, devouring you and feeding you pleasure. Movie recommended without thinking twice or hesitating, definitely watching again-3D, with another set of friends. Expand
  17. Dec 3, 2013
    What a load of rubbish! This movie, which is seriously just two people floating around in space, is being hailed as "revolutionary" and "ground breaking" and "like nothing you've ever seen before." What!? We've all seen Apollo 13, haven't we? Only that had an interesting story, and characters who didn't just scream and act embarrassing the whole time. The special effects weren't even thatWhat a load of rubbish! This movie, which is seriously just two people floating around in space, is being hailed as "revolutionary" and "ground breaking" and "like nothing you've ever seen before." What!? We've all seen Apollo 13, haven't we? Only that had an interesting story, and characters who didn't just scream and act embarrassing the whole time. The special effects weren't even that impressive. And yet no doubt it will win best visual effects at the Oscars, as well as about twelve thousand other awards because delusional critics have brainwashed themselves into thinking this is a "masterpiece." Expand
  18. Oct 4, 2013
    Alfonso Cuaron’s new feature film, “Gravity,” a movie about an astronaut is on graveness space in his spectacular 3D experience. Mr. Cuaron has done previous films that I enjoy so much including “Y’Tu Mama Tambien,” “Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban,” and “Children of Men,” now he decides to make his latest space adventure about two astronauts were on the mission to repair theAlfonso Cuaron’s new feature film, “Gravity,” a movie about an astronaut is on graveness space in his spectacular 3D experience. Mr. Cuaron has done previous films that I enjoy so much including “Y’Tu Mama Tambien,” “Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban,” and “Children of Men,” now he decides to make his latest space adventure about two astronauts were on the mission to repair the satellite in outer space. Then, a probe pollution appears from nowhere and damages the satellite; however, the two astronauts split away in a dark gravity of space. One space scientist, Dr. Ryan Stone (Sandra Bullock), is on the loose and she has no way out to save herself in space. Dr. Stone decided to take care of herself and she needs to find a way to be safe, so she can come back home from earth. Mr. Cuaron makes a wonderful experiences to travel deep in outer space to see a beautiful atmosphere and an epic suspense for one the best films I ever seen.. Expand
  19. Oct 6, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Considering the sentiment of most of the negative user reviews I've read on this movie, I really wish most moviegoers would *try* to engage movies in a vacumm (not necessarily in the vacumm of space though...heh heh). It seems many came into this film filled with too many preconceived ideas about what it would be and how it would effect/affect them. I find it really does the movie a disservice when you think it's going to be the best thing you've ever seen before you even see it. You spend most of the time hung-up on that moment that's going to make it all happen, and in the process, you miss the overall composition. Then you consider the movie a failure because that moment never came. I say all this because I've done it too many times before. Thankfull, I didn't do it with Gravity.

A lot of people, myself included, love film for its aesthetic advantage over most other forms of art. I don't think it's crazy to suggest that this film has done, cinematically, what no other film has yet to do; that, I believe, warrants many of the accolades it's been receiving. On the other hand, I really enjoyed the emotional 'gravity' of this movie and it's allegory for rebirth It somehow manages to quickly pull you onto an empathetic level for the main character without the normal, slow characture development we would typically need for someone who's in a situation we have a hard time relating to—and I think this is all connected to how wonderfully real this movie feels, despite the fact that 99.9999991% of us have never been in space.

On a side note, Gravity also tugged a piece of my heart with the seemingly subtil ode to Spielberg/John Wlliams 80's style soundtrack and sound editing. What I'm referring to here is when a film's eutherial, clean, and powerful sounding soundtrack seems to shelter a softer, dirty—almost analog sounding—song. The scene I felt this during most was when Dr. Ryan had the radio communication with the civilian (non English speaking) man. While she was finally realizing things were not great (I'll spare details for fear of spoiling), the soundtrack paralled the weight of the situation. Though a spark of hope came through a man's singing to a baby in the background—an obvious but well played contrast. This scene/sound editing might not have been an overt ode, but I still liked its use.

See this movie, but forget everything everyone has said about it!
  20. Oct 7, 2013
    This movie was AMAZING!!!! I was able to watch it on IMAX and I was just blown away! The thrills start right away and watching Dr. Ryan Stone swirl around in space made me feel light-headed, which is a very good thing since few movies can really do that. The special effects are some of the best I've ever seen!! One scene, in particular, where we see one of the space shuttles get destroyedThis movie was AMAZING!!!! I was able to watch it on IMAX and I was just blown away! The thrills start right away and watching Dr. Ryan Stone swirl around in space made me feel light-headed, which is a very good thing since few movies can really do that. The special effects are some of the best I've ever seen!! One scene, in particular, where we see one of the space shuttles get destroyed by debris in the middle of the film, was nothing short of breathtaking. I also love the acting: George Clooney gives a light-hearted performance sure to get a few chuckles out of you, but this is Sandra Bullock's show, and she gives, probably, the best performance of her career. She's a character to root for since she has very strong character development. However, there are times when the dialogue gets a little sappy,but the actors give it their all, especially Bullock. Overall, with a mastery of special effects and a strong emotional core shown through great performances, Gravity is one of the best thrillers I have ever seen and will definitely blow you away as well! Expand
  21. Oct 6, 2013
    Brilliantly executed and acted all wrapped in outstanding special effects. I was on the edge of my seat for 99% of the film and had my hand covering my mouth for half of the movie (which often doesn't happen, even when I am watching horror films). A tour de force of a masterpiece by Alfonso Cuarón that will be in your head long after you've left the theatre. I foresee a few OscarBrilliantly executed and acted all wrapped in outstanding special effects. I was on the edge of my seat for 99% of the film and had my hand covering my mouth for half of the movie (which often doesn't happen, even when I am watching horror films). A tour de force of a masterpiece by Alfonso Cuarón that will be in your head long after you've left the theatre. I foresee a few Oscar nominations and wins for this one. Go see this. Now. Expand
  22. Oct 6, 2013
    Intense and keeps you on the edge of your seat the whole time. This movie is pinned as just a survival story that takes place in space, but it connects on a much deeper level with the undertones and themes of loneliness, separation, and love. Beautiful and breathtaking visual effects, along with stuffing and emotional acting from Bullock. This is a must see movie to me 10/10
  23. Oct 12, 2013
    Amazing action movie. Displays zero-g physics better than any sci-fi movie I've seen (even if not entirely perfectly), which makes for a really unusual environment. Also, it is a space movie, and it is not sci-fi. Which is a shock right there. There's not much "interaction" and "character development", and thank God for that, we have that in literally every movie except this one already,Amazing action movie. Displays zero-g physics better than any sci-fi movie I've seen (even if not entirely perfectly), which makes for a really unusual environment. Also, it is a space movie, and it is not sci-fi. Which is a shock right there. There's not much "interaction" and "character development", and thank God for that, we have that in literally every movie except this one already, and in large amounts. There is however a psychological drama about getting over yourself and doing much more than you ever thought you were able to, not giving up until the very end. Also did I mention awesome action in zero-g? Expand
  24. Oct 8, 2013
    Gravity delivers the weird juxtaposition of the film's creators allowing a fictional character to overcome unforgiving space, but won't trust the audience to think for themselves.

Yesterday evening I joined my good friends in a showing of the Sci-Fi survival thriller Gravity. I was expecting a documentary with George Clooney narrating, and wasn't quite sure of what to expect when I popped on my thick-rimmed 3D goggles. I am very interested in astronomy and the remoteness and aloofness of the celestial bodies has always strongly informed how I feel about living on Planet Earth. Their distance and indifference is a majestic mockery of our trivial, and temporary, existence.

Settling into the first five minutes of Gravity, I quickly realised that of course a work of fiction would make an over-pronounced imposition of human beings into the glorious inertia of space. This realisation that I can now expect people to provide the thrust of the story profoundly disappoints me. The feeble juxtaposition of a towering, placid spacescape with the minute actions of studious astronauts has no more of an impact on me than would watching the same people sit around an office drinking weak, freeze-dried coffee.

Therefore, precisely what I find refreshing about the film 15 minutes in is that it hasn't (yet) condescended to the audience by loading the flimsy cardboard cutout characters with some morbid modus operandi, thereby making totally unrelateable spacewalking astronauts into amenable accomplices of the viewer. It therefore makes sense to streamline the cynically unlucky protagonist to such a degree that the only necessary instrument at her disposal is the pure and simple instinctual thrust of survival.

The depiction of the characters in broad strokes continues as the audience is struck forcibly by the information that, believe it or not, spacewalking is either a very mundane experience best accompanied by country music, or that novices are terribly excited by it on their first run. Both contrasts are totally within convention, and this silly space symphony's opening bars have all the reverie of a pastorale.

At one moment as Bullock careens off into the vast emptiness of space, an apparition of home; a large, indifferent planet Northern Lights added for aesthetics sits serenely behind, sleepily unaware of the plight of our hapless protagonist. It is a moment of genuine beauty, and for a second the film has an actually interesting principal actor the “gentle indifference of the world”.

But then as Disaster, that catalyst of so many Hollywood movies, arrives, all of a sudden it occurs to me that we are going to have to suffer character development as this thing goes on. We haven't learned enough by Hollywood standards to care enough about Bullock and Clooney yet, but a few stories from good ol' Planet Earth ought to set that right.

I wouldn't have been totally against this inevitability if it wasn't for the central character spending the remaining 90 minutes undergoing a juvenile transformation from naïve to determined (via seriously mopy). Bullock's performance is languid enough to have made me believe that survival in the face of almost certain death is a bit of a drag.

Therefore, into the wondrous oblivion of infinite space strolls a character so disengaged from life that I stopped rooting for her from basically the beginning. Marcus Aurelius writes in his Meditations that “Today I escaped from anxiety. Or no, I discarded it, because it was within me, in my own perceptions not outside.”

The tenets of stoicism don't seem to really have fallen into the scope of Bullock's character, because there is always a sense that what she is facing is injustice it's not fair!!! rather than coming to any acceptance that her predicament was an exceptionally fair one an outgrowth of her being in a totally extraordinary position as remote from human experience as one could possibly get, and therefore, not entitled to expect the same accommodations from the universe.

What accompanies this extraordinary situation, and what makes the film so oddly cold, is how extraordinarily muted un-human Bullock's character's response is. There is neither a hint of completely justified despair, nor the slightest sense of confusion at the totally mindboggling predicament facing her character.

This might be an attempt.

Instead, unfortunately, Hollywood is the exemplar of an industrial process of creativity so eminently capable of mistaking the addition of melodrama for character complexity. It is not enough that survival and hatred of death are ingrained human qualities up to and including the point of irrational denial of fate Gravity also needs us to buy into a crumby story about a deceased child in order to force the operationalisation of instinct.

It was not enough that a Harvard-graduated space-genius had to get a face full of satellite shrapnel. We had to have our own emotional capacities for empathy inc
  25. Oct 7, 2013
    What can I say about this highly acclaimed movie? Gorgeous CGI-produced space, fabulous work of Sandra Bullock's plastic surgeon (for 49 she looks incredible).
    What else? H-m-m-m... Oh yeh! Sandra's hair style is perfect, especially considering that she is in weightlessness.
    I was bored mostly all the time. It reminded me a TNT ad "We know drama" where all action happens at the very possible moment. Kinda cheap. But again, the visuals and special effects were astounding.
  26. Oct 7, 2013
    Gravity is a fun "Ride" ala Star Tours experience, but as far as a "Movie" goes, the story and character development leaves much to be desired. As far as a 3D $18 90 minute Star Tours/Type spectacle, if that is what you are looking for then I am sure you will love the film. The CG and Camera moves were impressive and the film was done very well. Films like Gravity are just not what I amGravity is a fun "Ride" ala Star Tours experience, but as far as a "Movie" goes, the story and character development leaves much to be desired. As far as a 3D $18 90 minute Star Tours/Type spectacle, if that is what you are looking for then I am sure you will love the film. The CG and Camera moves were impressive and the film was done very well. Films like Gravity are just not what I am looking for when I go to the Cinema. Now If I was at Disneyland it would be a different story Just my two cents, and obviously I am in the minority since it appears that almost everyone on earth loved this Film and thought it was the greatest film of all time. Which I do find a bit disconcerting because in my opinion it would not even make my top 100 films of all time list. Sadly this is certainly the type of movies film corporations will want to put out more of. 3D up-charge along with a short running time which equals more showings per day and more revenue. Will we ever see a popular motion picture released with a strong script, with strong acting again, or will that just be relegated to art houses and on demand TV viewing? Expand
  27. Nov 4, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Neither NASA nor any other space agency would ever send the character Sandra Bullock played into space. They don't need a hysterical woman who knows nothing about space or the technology she has to use.
    If you know nothing about physics or space you probably will like that movie but if you are interested in these things (like me) you'll hate it because you know that nearly everything is against logic or physics.

And to be honest: In a SciFi movie I don't give a damn about a "deep" insight of the characters. Especially when their stories have nothing to do with the movie.

Before I checked who made the movie I thought the same guy who did After Earth also did this one.

At the end: The nearly drowned in the rescue capsule? Oh holy This nearly happened in real life to NASA astronauts and thus NASA (and all other space agencies) fixed that problem.

The director just wanted to make a awesome 3D movie but didn't cared about a good and especially logical story. I hope he NEVER does a movie again so the investors have money left for good movies.
  28. Oct 6, 2013
    This movie is a cinematic masterpiece. I dont want to say more because going in with no expectation beyond something happens in space is the best way. Also see it in 3d it really uses this well not as a gimmick.
  29. Oct 18, 2013
    It will pull you in, even if you aren't the type to typically get 'in' to movies. A huge part of it is the amazing sound design/music (they run together to form a single audio singularity), which is filled with a lot less 'tell me how to feel' and a lot more primal sounds that more directly influence your feelings. Go. And see it in 3D!
  30. Oct 7, 2013
    This movie is a perfect 10

The visuals,the audio detail, the acting, the story, and execution were perfect. I have nothing bad to say about it

Great score

Sandra really proved herself in this movie and I think its a good role for her and a good move

I knew I wouldnt be disappointed by a movie with Alfonso's name on it
  31. Oct 7, 2013
    This is a very simple movie at heart. A 90min thriller that takes place in the vacuum of space. There is very little dialogue, back story, and minimal sound effects (no sound in space after all). Clooney is the veteran spaceman and calming voice of reason while Bullock is the 6 months trainee and panicking. You'll instantly be familiar with story, characters, and setting 20mins in, butThis is a very simple movie at heart. A 90min thriller that takes place in the vacuum of space. There is very little dialogue, back story, and minimal sound effects (no sound in space after all). Clooney is the veteran spaceman and calming voice of reason while Bullock is the 6 months trainee and panicking. You'll instantly be familiar with story, characters, and setting 20mins in, but thats OK. Visually this movie is amazing using lengthy, single shots (my guess to show the infinity of outer space) and the occasional 1st person perspective. 90mins is a perfect length for Gravity cause Bullock's escalating bad luck does start to get ridiculous. Bottomline: Total worth seeing in theaters!!! Expand
  32. Jan 25, 2014
    This movie is bad and equally as overrated as uncharted 3 even the secret life of Walter Mitty was better than this steaming pile of **** **** this movie to hell it doesn't deserve all of this praise the story is the combination of uncharted 3 and ratchet size matters and sonic heroes that's a pretty bad sign since the new Mario games suck.
  33. Oct 5, 2013
    Overrated is definitely the term that comes to mind. It's not a bad movie per say, but it certainly is not a 96.

The formula here is: technical space flight problem solving of "Apollo 13" meets the human spirit and ability to survive from "127 Hours." The problem is, this movie doesn't do either aspect well enough. Both aforementioned movies, as well as "Moon" do a better job in

The problem is, this movie doesn't do either aspect well enough. Both aforementioned movies, as well as "Moon" do a better job in almost all categories.

This movie is a clear favorite for best cinematography, and the music was top notch as well. Those two areas were not enough to carry the movie for me however.

It's not a movie I would recommend to others, but it's not a movie I would recommend against either.
  34. Oct 6, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Okay, stop listening to the endless praise. This movie, while fairly good, is vastly overrated. Warning, this contains SPOILERS!!!!

The visual effects and the soundtrack are unbelievable. There's not much more to be said about them, except that they are clearly the staple of the film. However, once you get past that, the film can become painfully dull and filled with "ARE YOU F@#%ING KIDDING ME" moments.

For example (spoiler): When Sandra Bullo- whoops, "Ryan Stone," is caught on the thin wires holding on to George Cloo- sorry, Kowalski- there is clearly nothing stopping Stone from just pulling him over to her. But nope! She lets go because the script called for it.

Spoiler's over, you can read now.

Another example is that the debris cloud could not possibly travel around the ENTIRE WORLD in 90 minutes. This "chain reaction" would only be possible over the span of months.

The character(s) have no story to them, and the one who does has a forced tragic backstory to tell WHILE DRIFTING THROUGH SPACE. During this predictable monologue, I found myself increasingly hoping that this character would run out of oxygen.

By the way, in this, 4% of an oxygen tank takes 10 minutes to drain, but the last 1% over 20 minutes.

I'm not saying that this movie is necessarily bad. Honestly, it is worth a viewing in IMAX 3D. But a second time isn't something I'd consider.
  35. Oct 5, 2013
    By far one of the best cinema experiences ive ever had. Sure there were obvious outcomes, yet it holds the tension beautifully from beginning to end and truly crafts suspension of disbelief for the viewer.
    Even more so, the stunningly complex visuals are backed by a stimulating pallet of terrifyingly sparse atmosphere underlined with pulsating crescendo's of electronic dissonance, making this movie's impact all the more impressive.
    The fact that the cast is relatively small (with most of it being performed by one actress) is a refreshing change prompting new approaches to dialogue while dissipating the borders of the screen to creatively engage the audience in Dr.Stone's desperate crawl to survival.
    Cinematography in this film was practically larger than life, creating a true sense of fear, awe and utter isolation. (Highly suggest sitting in the front row if you want total immersion)
    Felt like i was being exposed to open vacuum the entire time and somehow just managing to escape; it really was one hell of a ride.
  36. Oct 6, 2013
    The movie was beyond my expectations. Since it was announced during Venice Film Festival, I was already intrigued. After the initial teaser trailer, I was sold. The movie was intense and gripping. The first 10 mins of the movie grabs hold of you and leaves you paralyzed, asking what is going to happen next. Sandra Bullock played her character as Ryan Stone with so much emotion that itThe movie was beyond my expectations. Since it was announced during Venice Film Festival, I was already intrigued. After the initial teaser trailer, I was sold. The movie was intense and gripping. The first 10 mins of the movie grabs hold of you and leaves you paralyzed, asking what is going to happen next. Sandra Bullock played her character as Ryan Stone with so much emotion that it makes you feel the pain and loneliness she went through in the movie. This is definitely a must see of the year. Expand
  37. Oct 12, 2013
    A masterpiece of a movie that's at once visually beautiful, emotional, and thrilling. This should be the example of how to make a movie that's carried by a strong female lead.
  38. Oct 18, 2013
    Gravity is a intense film that will thrill and petrify you like no film has done before. Many have criticized the acting of Bullock and Clooney as flawed, but they are a full and complete realization of their characters, who are themselves flawed. Bullock particularly shines as the star of the film as an inexperienced scientist with full training to be in space but without the experienceGravity is a intense film that will thrill and petrify you like no film has done before. Many have criticized the acting of Bullock and Clooney as flawed, but they are a full and complete realization of their characters, who are themselves flawed. Bullock particularly shines as the star of the film as an inexperienced scientist with full training to be in space but without the experience or will to survive on her own. This becomes more apparent as the story progresses and we see that her struggle to survive does not start or end in space but is instead an internal struggle to find purpose in life. The film is visually stunning and directed with such precision that its hard to not immerse yourself in the beauty and horror that space has to provide. Expand
  39. Oct 20, 2013
    Stunning visuals, perfect sound mixing and editing, and a great performance by academy award winner Sandra Bullock. Gravity is an intense ride that will keep you on the edge of your seat. Cuaron's best movie to date. A must watch!
  40. Nov 12, 2013
    The opening scenes on wonderful views of earth from space may have you thinking "this is going to be another Space Odyssey". Unfortunately it's not, it's just another space movie with well crafted visual effects on a very obvious plot.
  41. Jan 1, 2014
    This has to be one of the worst films that I have seen in a long time. Not even the presence of Sandra Bullock and George Clooney made this film work for me. No character development. Too many bad luck scenarios to make the film remotely believable. Absolutely amazing cinematography but a story line that was weaker than the tea at an all night diner. Sappy elements thrown in to make youThis has to be one of the worst films that I have seen in a long time. Not even the presence of Sandra Bullock and George Clooney made this film work for me. No character development. Too many bad luck scenarios to make the film remotely believable. Absolutely amazing cinematography but a story line that was weaker than the tea at an all night diner. Sappy elements thrown in to make you feel more connected but it was like throwing tomatoes at a wall. Sorry but I did not connect to any of the characters. Oscar worthy? I have to call BS. Simple survival story in space? Get a grip. Poorly written, good visuals. Feels like it was written under pressure. Sorry but I do not recommed this film at all. Expand
  42. Jan 14, 2014
    This film has no story line, no action, no, well, anything worth watching a film for really. The acting might be okay and the visuals etc, but it is just way too boring. Very overrated.
  43. Feb 25, 2014
    I don't want to be rude, but I really didn't enjoy this movie. It's not about having serious "physical inaccuracy", it's just that this movie is missing some key elements required for any movie! Like you need to have a Protagonist AND antagonist for the story to work! This move has none. Also if you ever wanted a twist or something there is none. It was simply boring. Nothing else dullI don't want to be rude, but I really didn't enjoy this movie. It's not about having serious "physical inaccuracy", it's just that this movie is missing some key elements required for any movie! Like you need to have a Protagonist AND antagonist for the story to work! This move has none. Also if you ever wanted a twist or something there is none. It was simply boring. Nothing else dull story with no twists and or plot changes, nothing. Expand
  44. Oct 5, 2013
    Wonderful. Delivers that sense of grandeur only one or two movies a year can muster. Alfonso Cuaron is a brilliant filmmaker. The long tracking shot at the beginning is...for lack of better words...absolutely friggin' insane. What an amazing experience.
  45. Oct 15, 2013
    "Gravity" is not only a beautiful, visual and science-fiction film, it's more than that. Alfonso Cuarón has created pure 7th art. It has emotiional weight, life toil and spiritual philosophy Sandra Bullock is great, I think that Ryan Stone is her best role in her filmography. George Clooney is a cool Jiminy Cricket in this film. It's curious, this film is now but already is classic.
  46. BKM
    Oct 5, 2013
    Gravity is a visual stunner that doesn't just expand the boundaries of what is possible with visual effects, it demolishes them. Praise must also be given to Sandra Bullock's fearless performance which gives the film its human heart. My only quibble, and it's a minor one, is that the film isn't quite as emotionally resonant as I would have liked. But that may prove to be a moot pointGravity is a visual stunner that doesn't just expand the boundaries of what is possible with visual effects, it demolishes them. Praise must also be given to Sandra Bullock's fearless performance which gives the film its human heart. My only quibble, and it's a minor one, is that the film isn't quite as emotionally resonant as I would have liked. But that may prove to be a moot point in the long run. Expand
  47. Oct 4, 2013
    It takes more than just visual effects to hold a film together and Sandra Bullock is the pull in “Gravity.” For the majority of the film, Bullock is alone, and while acting in general is no easy feat, acting solo is an actor’s most challenging role and Bullock is effortlessly sensational. Her roller coaster of emotions from the start of the film to its final frame are riveting. TheIt takes more than just visual effects to hold a film together and Sandra Bullock is the pull in “Gravity.” For the majority of the film, Bullock is alone, and while acting in general is no easy feat, acting solo is an actor’s most challenging role and Bullock is effortlessly sensational. Her roller coaster of emotions from the start of the film to its final frame are riveting. The suspense in this film would be null without Bullock’s wonderful and relatable connection. The Cuaróns’ makes Ryan an "everyman," so watching her struggle to save and be saved is like having a sinking feeling of watching one’s self go through this traumatic ordeal. Bullock wasn’t the first choice to play Ryan, but Cuarón should count himself lucky that he landed a powerful, often beautiful, performance in the end. While “Gravity” gives audiences a sensational and unparalleled fictional view of the final frontier, Bullock says it best as her dread sets in: “I hate space.” For those who have always dreamed of becoming an astronaut or visiting the stars, this incredibly tense film might change your mind. Going in to the film knowing disaster will strike just makes the tension that much greater and when Cuarón unleashes hell upon Ryan and Kowalski, the suspense is relentless and exhausting. “Gravity” deserves the IMAX treatment more than most films. An already immersive experience is incredibly heightened by the big screen format. Check out on IMAX if possible. It will be worth the extra coin. It remains to be seen if “Gravity” will have a long shelf-life once every new science fiction movie hereafter copies everything from its realism to its naturalistic effects to Steven Price’s hypnotic and vertigo-inducing score. “Gravity” is definitely an experience an event and whether or not that lasts, as of right now, there’s just nothing else like it. And that is a rare treat at the movies. Expand
  48. Oct 16, 2013
    Gravity is a first rate, charming but gripping complex drama, although claustrophobic, it is deep and absorbing, with dazzling effects, breathtaking performances, all in all, a fascinating, one of a kind ride, that you will stay with you for a long time. This film has real soul attached to it, you can feel the passionate making behind this film, the visuals are astonishing and look veryGravity is a first rate, charming but gripping complex drama, although claustrophobic, it is deep and absorbing, with dazzling effects, breathtaking performances, all in all, a fascinating, one of a kind ride, that you will stay with you for a long time. This film has real soul attached to it, you can feel the passionate making behind this film, the visuals are astonishing and look very real. The sequences are intense and gripping.You can easily connect with the film, because of the powerful performances and the gripping sequences, it is a legendary achievement. The cinematography is spellbinding, the soundtrack is fascinating, the visuals are dazzling, the performances are powerful yet complicated and thought provoking, the direction is masterful, I think that Alfonso Cuaron's Gravity is a remarkable Hollywood invention, a gripping and intense thriller, a masterful arty direction and a film that has a real soul. This is a type of a film that doesn't come every year. Expand
  49. Nov 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. For having George Clooney being such anchor for this movie I expected more George Clooney. Not just ten minutes if him rambling then drifting into space. His name is on the poster after all. I found Sandra Bullocks character incredibly annoying. She kept acting like she had no idea what she was doing then wastes precious air talking to Clooney when she needs to get her bum on the ship. Did she not realize you need air to live? Face palm. Then that weird baby fetal position while he drifts further away. As for the CGI I'm pretty sure the three space stations they blew up were the same station. Very redundant .very predictable. I don't understand what the hype is about, I was incredibly disappointed. Expand
  50. Oct 7, 2013
    A big disappointment! The story line was so unbelievable there was no possibility of drama. Direction was weak. George Clooney’s character acted silly for the position he occupied. Sandra Bullock did a good job but she was the wrong person for the part, and her character lacked continuity. The visual effects were good and 3D was a good choice for the movie. The movie wasn’t terribleA big disappointment! The story line was so unbelievable there was no possibility of drama. Direction was weak. George Clooney’s character acted silly for the position he occupied. Sandra Bullock did a good job but she was the wrong person for the part, and her character lacked continuity. The visual effects were good and 3D was a good choice for the movie. The movie wasn’t terrible but if that’s the best that can be said it would be better to wait for it to be on TV. Expand
  51. Oct 15, 2013
    I personally wish the sci-fi genre were the dominant genre of hollywood. Unfortunately, it's not. However, this film makes up for the lack of SF films and the crappy ones that do come out. It's an 11/10 for all the reasons other user reviews have said. People would be insane to dislike this film. Two of the best actors in the game at the top of it. Must see.
  52. Oct 4, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The movie is a metaphor for rebirth or reincarnation, I feel almost certain. From her male name, to the way that Clooney's Matt seems so unphased, almost deity like, showing up to pull her back from the emotional brink over and over... of course there's the shot where she's in a fetal position, and then there's the vision of the buddha, and then there's the way she says "Mommy!" at a particularly frightening moment (I could have misheard) and finally, she is birthed back into the world, finally taking her first breath after her long ordeal. Matt's advice to her is to learn to let go. Her emotional pain from her previous life was preventing her from being reborn, and finally, she heals and is reincarnated as Ryan Stone. There are more little symbols and moments that suggest this metaphor, but maybe it was all a dream. Expand
  53. Oct 10, 2013
    Gravity is a long movie, which needed a better story line. At times I felt bored, it seems the same thing happens over and over again. Sandra Bullock's character barely grabs on to something, but manages to hold on. Some of the best effects and hands down should be nominated for "best visual effects" at the Oscars.
    The trailer gives the idea that the movie is based on Sandra Bullocks
    The trailer gives the idea that the movie is based on Sandra Bullocks character floating away, and NASA trying to save her. This is not the case at all. It has a less exciting story line, it just didn't pull the audience in.
  54. Oct 6, 2013
    If I here one more complaint about 'character development', I'm going to scream. Just a few minor character details is all one needs to know to get on with the story, fill the rest in with the power of imagination. Long-winded 'character development' with flashbacks and shots of life back on earth would have destroyed this fragile film. You don't 'care' about the characters? Get overIf I here one more complaint about 'character development', I'm going to scream. Just a few minor character details is all one needs to know to get on with the story, fill the rest in with the power of imagination. Long-winded 'character development' with flashbacks and shots of life back on earth would have destroyed this fragile film. You don't 'care' about the characters? Get over yourself. We won't even go there. 'Implausible' is another word thrown around. They have missed the boat. About as realistic 'sci-fi' film as you will see, no aliens, no death ray guns. The most dangerous situation is debris, debris!

Look, can we cut to the chase here? This film is about nothing more than Life itself, there's nothing bigger, or better. we can throw around words like metaphor or microcosm, but the is that this film is a game-changer, a towering achievement in cinema, a landmark in motion pictures, a masterpiece constructed by a humanist, a master film maker at the top of his game. Too many cliches? Please forgive.

Rarely have I been brought to tears at the end of a 'thriller'. This film doesn't want your tears, but there they were. Was I thinking about my own life? Did it all hit me at once at the immensity of the films themes? Yes, it's that kind of film, all wrapped in a 'thriller'. I hope this film becomes a blockbuster: escapism, pure adrenaline, a red-blooded thrill ride, with heart and soul to spare, pure poetry in motion, if you will. As intimate as a art-house flick on a a large scale budget.

'Is anybody out there?' The mystery of being alive is all laid out here. Making a connection, the human touch, the wonder, the awe-inspiring fragility of it all. Yes it can be lonely out there, and the great unknown hovering over, but we are not solo lonesome creatures, we need to hear and be heard no matter how trivial. When people say, 'how insignificant we are in the grand scheme of things', that is a scary thought. This film is about hope, the triumph of the human will to survive, reflection, deep contemplation, spirituality, without hammering you over the head. It's done with love and care. I felt a deep appreciation for a film that cares, so do we.

A new level of excellence must be mentioned for sound design and special affects, not going to pretend I know how they did it, doesn't matter, movies are an illusion, and the trick is told when the trick is sold.

Sandra Bullock, is magnificent. It is said that the most interesting subject in film is the human face. She is able to at once project and reflect all the necessary emotion that she feels and more important, the audience is right there with her.

'Gravity' is the front-runner for best picture, in my humble opinion. A masterwork of pure film making, it touches your heart and mind, and is exciting as any film I have ever seen, and I don't say that lightly. You want a 'plot summary?' Not here.

A most special movie-going experience.
  55. Nov 3, 2013
    The most over rated film since "Argo". This film is mediocre at best and I didn't care about Bulloch or Clooney. It is a one dimensional film that I cannot for the life of me understand why we have a 95 rating. Maybe somebody got paid off by the industry. Well, at least there were no aliens in it.
  56. Oct 27, 2013
    Disappointing. Yes, it is a fanstatic traveloge of outer space and great VFX but it does not have story. The only choices the main character makes is to do this or die, or do something or die. Those are not choices those are what we all would do in the same situation. Does the main character go through a change because of the experience... maybe... but that reallt isn't in the movie. RentDisappointing. Yes, it is a fanstatic traveloge of outer space and great VFX but it does not have story. The only choices the main character makes is to do this or die, or do something or die. Those are not choices those are what we all would do in the same situation. Does the main character go through a change because of the experience... maybe... but that reallt isn't in the movie. Rent it and ignore the critic reviews. I can't believe no critic gave it a yellow. Expand
  57. Oct 5, 2013
    A good movie. Not quite the instant classic the reviews would have you believe, but definitely worth seeing. The camera work was definitely some of the best I've seen in a movie in a long time. It definitely conveyed the senses of claustrophobia mixed with vast emptiness and the sheer hopelessness of the situation quite well. The "first person" cuts scattered through out the movie wereA good movie. Not quite the instant classic the reviews would have you believe, but definitely worth seeing. The camera work was definitely some of the best I've seen in a movie in a long time. It definitely conveyed the senses of claustrophobia mixed with vast emptiness and the sheer hopelessness of the situation quite well. The "first person" cuts scattered through out the movie were also done exceptionally well, when they could have been very jarring and removing. A++ for the direction and cinematography. B- for the story. A- for the acting. Expand
  58. Nov 10, 2013
    Completely blown away, best movie of the year in my opinion.

Technically flawless with masterful pacing and perfect performances, not to mention haunting sound editing, it's all there and more. For 90 minutes, which felt like a lifetime because of intense and packed the movie was, you feel like you're in space, struggling for survival against all odds. How often does a movie achieve
    Completely blown away, best movie of the year in my opinion.

For 90 minutes, which felt like a lifetime because of intense and packed the movie was, you feel like you're in space, struggling for survival against all odds. How often does a movie achieve something like that?
  59. Nov 23, 2013
    Is gravity a good movie? Yes.
    Does gravity deserve a 8/9/10? No.
    Don't get me wrong. The 3D is good with stuff shooting out at you. The weightlessness or, ahem, lack of gravity is well done. But there are far too many scenes where the characters are just talking to each other for what seems like eternity.
  60. Oct 16, 2013
    It is movie made to be enjoyed. And that's all you really get. Pure, extraordinary, exquisite, pop entertainment. "Gravity" is more like industry statement and a proof that by combining advanced technology and a decent, smart story and script (shown to work very well a lot of times before), Hollywood can still make movies that excite us.
  61. Oct 6, 2013
    Alfonso Cuaron continues his exhibition of extraordinary cinematography in this tale of one of the most frightening situations imaginable. Alongside: Bullock's acting is phenomenal, and George Clooney provides some much needed comic relief. Overall, a fantastic piece of cinema and a taste of what is to come for film.
  62. Oct 5, 2013
    This was an intense movie right out the gate with the opening shot. The visuals were spectacular! It is a very compelling performance by Sandra Bullock. Although George Clooney was just being George.
    It deserves all the accolades it getting. The director, Alfonso Cuaron, is a true visionary!
  63. Feb 3, 2014
    "Gravity" is an absolutely magnificent directorial work from Alfonso Cuaron, featuring quite possibly the best performance Sandra Bullock has given in her career, some impossibly superb imagery, and an indelible score.
  64. Apr 14, 2014
    Let me just start out by saying that I am completely baffled by the 96/100 critic score that this got. Either the critics were stoned (like the composer for the movie was) when they watched this, or they were paid. Seriously though, for 75% of the film you're ears are stuck listening to the same 5 second loop of a terrible piece of "music"(?) being pounded into your brain while watchingLet me just start out by saying that I am completely baffled by the 96/100 critic score that this got. Either the critics were stoned (like the composer for the movie was) when they watched this, or they were paid. Seriously though, for 75% of the film you're ears are stuck listening to the same 5 second loop of a terrible piece of "music"(?) being pounded into your brain while watching Sandra Bullock being catapulted around space. That's pretty much the entire film for you. There, I saved you the rental money. Expand
  65. Jan 17, 2014
    Gravity is a visceral, dark and horrifying experience. But it is also one of the most hopeful and inspirational films I have ever seen.

The film is far more enjoyable the less you know before going into it, but from the trailers you have already seen that it is about two astronauts caught in a tidal wave of chaos as they are thrown into certain doom in outer space. The simplicity of

The simplicity of its plot benefits the film and reinforces it's core architectural foundations. It is a film that wants you to experience everything it's two characters are experiencing. All these feelings that are passed onto us as the viewer and are emphasized via the use of some amazingly placed POV shots, sound and subliminal imagery.
    The result of all this, is a film that only gave me a couple of occasions in which I could release my firm grip form the arms of my chair, and breathe again. And I bloody loved it.

The imagery that I spoke of earlier is something that cannot be talked about in any kind of detail with possibly detracting from what makes it so special. The concepts of loss, denial acceptance and rebirth are the most prominent, but there are also various nods at the journey of mankind and our downfall.

In the day and age where special effects are in just about every film, Gravity delivers a marvel of visual effects that are some of the most amazing I have ever seen.
    From gorgeous shots spanning the earth from outer space, to space stations tearing themselves apart throwing millions of particles across the screen all at once. The film does not do anything that is out of character. These effects, could be real. And if you let go of whatever else is going on in your life for just a short while, you may get dragged in, and lost. And that is the experience that is well worth the price of admission.

I cannot emphasize enough how astonishing Gravity is. In truth, it may be one of the most successfully realized films I have ever seen. One of the many thoughts that lingered with me long after I left my chair in the theatres was "How bloody long am I going to have to wait until this is out on Blu-ray?"

A 10.

Jack Valentine
  66. Oct 20, 2013
    Gravity permeates into my mind as an evitable experience. It stays with me for days--now it's almost a week. I guess no other space-thrillers (in the near future) can defy Gravity's terrifying demonstration. Though the plot is quite simple, the directing by Alfonso Cuaron overshadows that--and it should stay that way. If you have not seen it yet, go to the nearest theater right now andGravity permeates into my mind as an evitable experience. It stays with me for days--now it's almost a week. I guess no other space-thrillers (in the near future) can defy Gravity's terrifying demonstration. Though the plot is quite simple, the directing by Alfonso Cuaron overshadows that--and it should stay that way. If you have not seen it yet, go to the nearest theater right now and watch it! If it is not the best space-thriller ever made, it is the best film I have seen this year. Expand
  67. Oct 9, 2013
    Realistic (to some degree) space movie at last, thanks to senior Alfonso Cuaron! The best thing about it is the visuals and the thrilling atmosphere. As for the narrative, let's just say it's not the strongest side of "Gravity"! Even though some laws of physics has been violated for the sake of plot, it is one of the best picture of 2013!
  68. Oct 4, 2013
    Just saw it in IMAX & gotta say this movie perfect for IMAX experience!! Sense of place, atmosphere, emotions ALL is just incredible!!! Probably, effect will be somewhat lost on smaller screen. Catch it now, you won't be disapointed!!!
  69. Oct 12, 2013
    One of the overall best films I've ever seen. This movie must sweep the Oscars. While lacking in much of a complicated story, there is definitely a plot. The main theme of the film is rebirth through isolation, which can be seen through many thematic elements in the film. This is a must see in Imax-3D. The actors spinning wildly out of control with the Earth in the background provides theOne of the overall best films I've ever seen. This movie must sweep the Oscars. While lacking in much of a complicated story, there is definitely a plot. The main theme of the film is rebirth through isolation, which can be seen through many thematic elements in the film. This is a must see in Imax-3D. The actors spinning wildly out of control with the Earth in the background provides the viewer with a very existential experience. After watching this movie I called all of my closest friends and told them I loved them because this film really makes you reflect on your own life. The music was phenomenal, despite there not being sound. It made you feel all of the action without having corny foley artists add all of the fake sound effects. Cuaron uses extended long shots to add to the realism of the film, making it seem almost like a documentary. Best film of the year, and one of the best I have ever seen. Gravity is worth checking out and enjoying with a loved one. A masterpiece of cinema. Expand
  70. Nov 12, 2013
    You may have heard some hype floating around about this “little” movie and its big achievement… believe it! ‘Gravity’ is one of the best films to hit the big screen all year and, through staggering technical accomplishment, it quite easily made its mark as a vital contributor to the visual language of cinema. The screenplay may not be an elaborate piece of work, but it gets the job done.You may have heard some hype floating around about this “little” movie and its big achievement… believe it! ‘Gravity’ is one of the best films to hit the big screen all year and, through staggering technical accomplishment, it quite easily made its mark as a vital contributor to the visual language of cinema. The screenplay may not be an elaborate piece of work, but it gets the job done. Through Alfonso Cuaron’s accomplished direction the ideas come into fruition and the simplicity of the script is given a grand, new life. Cuaron crafts a staggering tale of survival against seemingly impossible odds, and splices it with spiritual motifs and nods to some classic science fiction films. When a space shuttle is destroyed by debris from a decimated Russian Satellite, the last two survivors of the disaster become stranded in space and are forced to use their wit and will to live in order to return to mother Earth. Sandra Bullock delivers her career best turn as rookie astronaut, Ryan Stone, who faces the brunt of Space’s fury. Her arc as a hero placed in repetitive danger may (or may not) have been a shortcoming of the script, but that question was put to rest by Bullock’s convincing lead presence. Her attempts to overcome one near-death obstacle after another never got boring. George Clooney turns up the charm, and gives his best George Clooney impersonation, as the veteran astronaut who guides our imperiled heroine along the way. This was such a beautifully made film. What Cuaron did to bring this space spectacle to the screen is beyond my understanding; and I’m quite happy just marveling at its wonder. The visual effects are obviously groundbreaking stuff, and if Emmanuel Lubezki doesn’t finally win that elusive Oscar for his arresting cinematography I will lose all hope in humanity. That 20 minute single shot opening scene is enough to earn him the award. Just as elegant as the visuals were the sound designs, sparse musical score and that excellent sound mix that strives for realism. That’s what I appreciated most about this film, Alfonso Cuaron’s attempt at creating a realistic space experience; I was actually caught in the illusion of weightlessness and silence that is definitive of space. In the process he not only created a realistic space experience, but also an astonishing cinematic one. Expand
  71. Oct 7, 2013
    I strangled my popcorn bag from the tension. i have to watch again and i will definitely be buying it. Really well done CG 2 years this has been in the works and it shows.
  72. Oct 19, 2013
    Maybe it's one of the best films i've ever seen, it's an incredible experience. This tense movie give us a chance for the future of cinema, it's innovative, it's emotional,it's beautiful. Yes the script is a little dull but the incredible scenes are an opportunity to ignore that. The set it's an advance for the future technology and Cuaron give us a prove of how be a legendary directorMaybe it's one of the best films i've ever seen, it's an incredible experience. This tense movie give us a chance for the future of cinema, it's innovative, it's emotional,it's beautiful. Yes the script is a little dull but the incredible scenes are an opportunity to ignore that. The set it's an advance for the future technology and Cuaron give us a prove of how be a legendary director maybe i exaggerate but the time will say everything. The scenes ,all the scenes have that incredible silence connected with the music is something unique i never feel that with another movie, and the cinematography yes it's Lubezki, he has a great achievement in the beautiful scenes of our home. Gravity it's the second best film based in space, behind 2001 A Space Odyssey; but in the future the two masterpieces maybe will become a legend. It's the best film of the year. Expand
  73. Nov 16, 2013
    Overrated, watched the movie yesterday and it was way below my expectation, don't know why people rate it so high, its pretty basic, acting was good as u'd expect from George Clooney and Sandra Bullock, but the only thing that's great about the movie other than that is the special effects, but that alone doesnt do justice for a movie to be considered great.
  74. Oct 20, 2013
    There is no other film experience on Earth like Gravity. Which makes sense, keeping in mind the whole movie was located in space, with only the ending scene being on Earth.

Alfonso Cuaron has struck gold with his masterpiece Gravity. It explores the silence of space where all you can hear are your breaths and your thoughts as you spin around aimlessly. This is usually harmless until a crisis like debris comes into play. From then on, Sandra Bullock puts on an amazing performance which will definitely give her an Oscar nod, and George Clooney is his usual affable self.

One thing that really defined this movie's greatness was its careful attention to being realistic. From the tears slipping down Sandra Bullock's cheeks actually floating off her face, to the oxygen in her suit depleting at a steady rate, this movie doesn't look over any detail or flaw. Instead, it uses simplicity and directness to flow the movie along. Nothing was that unbelievable in this movie.

Even though sound was a luxury in this movie, the emotional side of the film was not. Confined to tight spaces, Bullock couldn't really do anything to hide her emotions. She couldn't run anywhere to hide, or walk into a different room. Instead, we all saw and felt what she was going through, and actually cared about what happening to her character.

Another thing this movie did that was great was switch perspectives of the camera. We went from seeing what was happening from the character's eyes, to a third person view, to a wide camera angle, all in a few seconds. And the best part is, the camera was so fluent and coherent that we didn't even notice that the perspectives were changing until it actually happened. Genius filmmaking.

I could go on about this things this movie did right, because to be honest I can't think of anything I didn't like in the movie, which is extremely rare. Overall, this is a new kind of cinema experience that cannot be replicated again. (Yes, that was a challenge, directors!) Everyone in the target audience and beyond should see this movie because of its realistic sense of things and its careful attention to detail. The cinematography is beautiful, and the views and perspectives this movie gives are to die for. The emotional core, themes, and moral lessons this movie offers should be soaked up with ease. And the way it draws you into the story and what's happening is truly an amazing feat.
  75. Oct 7, 2013
    Good but not great movie. Visually, this is a beautiful movie. It's also suspenseful as you want to know what's going to happen next. But it's the kind of movie you can only watch once. After the first time, the movie isn't very interesting. There also there is only one plot in the movie. No sub-plots or side stories.
  76. Oct 13, 2013
    Seems to be very overrated by both critics and fans, but I still liked it. Not an all-time classic like some are saying, but a good film that I'd recommend seeing. The CGI and 3D were appealing, but the plot and characters were not. Not a bad film, but I won't be seeing it again for a while. A solid 6/10.
  77. Oct 15, 2013
    The newspaper critics listed here on metacritic must have been shown a different film to the one I just watched. How can it be that this film with no substantial story/script/science and thoroughly patronising depiction of a female astronaut is being hailed as a masterpiece on par with Kubrick's 2001? Utter nonsense. If you thought Prometheus was visually stunning but utter nonsense withThe newspaper critics listed here on metacritic must have been shown a different film to the one I just watched. How can it be that this film with no substantial story/script/science and thoroughly patronising depiction of a female astronaut is being hailed as a masterpiece on par with Kubrick's 2001? Utter nonsense. If you thought Prometheus was visually stunning but utter nonsense with regard to the character development and story/script, then avoid this movie at all costs. I am giving this film 3 marks out of 10 for the stunning visuals alone. Expand
  78. Oct 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Let me start by saying there were elements of Gravity that I enjoyed, but I felt it was lacking in some regards. Here are my thoughts. May contain spoilers!

Gravity (Ailurus fulgens), also called lesser velocity and red quantum physics is a small feature film native to the eastern space and southwestern  space that has been classified as Vulnerable by IUCN as its wild population is estimated at less than 10,000 mature individuals. The population continues to decline and is threatened by habitat loss and fragmentation, poaching, and inbreeding depression, although red gravity are protected by national laws in their range countries. The red velocity is slightly larger than a George Clooney. It has reddish-brown Oscars, a long, shaggy budget, and a waddling Sandra Bullock due to its shorter front legs. It feeds mainly on outer space, but its galaxy eggs, birds, insects, and small mammals. It is a mainly solitary film from dusk to dawn, and is largely sedentary during the day.

The red velocity is the only living species of the genus Ailurus and the family Ailuridae. It has been previously placed in the science fiction and horror  families, but results of phylogenetic research indicate strong support for its taxonomic classification in its own family Ailuridae, which along with the Clooney family is part of the superfamily Musteloidea. Two subspecies are recognized. It is not closely related to the giant velocity.

Still not as good as Left 4 Love.
  79. Oct 19, 2013
    Probably the most "real" movie I have seen in years. My friends have raised their eyebrows for the first few minutes of the movie thinking that it would be boring and all. But after when the first accident happened, the movie pulled all of us inside. There was no letting go. We were grabbing our chairs hard. And those who thought it would be dull stood up and gave a standing ovation afterProbably the most "real" movie I have seen in years. My friends have raised their eyebrows for the first few minutes of the movie thinking that it would be boring and all. But after when the first accident happened, the movie pulled all of us inside. There was no letting go. We were grabbing our chairs hard. And those who thought it would be dull stood up and gave a standing ovation after the ending. This is what I would call not just a movie but an experience. Expand
  80. Oct 20, 2013
    Let yourself travel into Cuaron's visionary narrative movie, 3D has never been so full of emotions and thrill as it has in this movie. This is by far the best movie I've seen in the last years, nothing like it so far, the feel of being in space reminds me of the same feeling I had with Kubrick's 2001 a space odyssey, a movie where space was cleverly designed to fulfill my mindsLet yourself travel into Cuaron's visionary narrative movie, 3D has never been so full of emotions and thrill as it has in this movie. This is by far the best movie I've seen in the last years, nothing like it so far, the feel of being in space reminds me of the same feeling I had with Kubrick's 2001 a space odyssey, a movie where space was cleverly designed to fulfill my minds imagination, Cuaron does this again in a beautiful narrative movie. Expand
  81. Oct 22, 2013
    People who gave Gravity a high rating obviously don't know much about the current state of the art of space travel or satellite orbits.

The cinematography is great for sure. Cinematography gets a 10. Technical inaccuracies and ridiculous plot line keep Gravity from being anything like the experience of 2001: A Space Odyssey.
  82. Nov 2, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. In a word: Boring.
    I was sorely disappointed by this film. I knew from the advertisements and some reviews I briefly glimpsed at (so as not the have the movie "spoiled" for me), what I was getting myself into. I can appreciate the fact that there is very little sound and the colour palette is very restricted. Survival movies focusing primarily on one character can still incorporate an interesting story. This did not. At all.
    This movie had so many wasted opportunities. Elaborate on characters' backstories. Display awesome imagery of space and Earth (like show us the Great Wall of China or something). Instead we got to listen to a country music radio station and heavy breathing for over an hour. Get ready to suspend belief.

We're expected to believe that a woman as scrawny as Sandra Bullock is able to open a pressurized port-hole door and have it swing violently open? We expected to believe that she is strong enough to grip onto handles and bars while flying through space? We're expected to believe that while her life is on the line she's still able to crack wisecrack jokes to herself? We're expected to believe that during every stop she makes along her space travels her oxygen tanks magically refill? We're expected to believe she can propel herself along a very precise path with a fire extinguisher? We're expected to believe that by randomly pressing buttons (she literally plays "eeny meeny miney mo") on a complex space control panel, you're able to get back to Earth?
    This movie failed on every level!
  83. Nov 8, 2013
    We are transported to space. It is amazing, gripping, breathtaking. I need to see it again.
    Unmissable. It is what it is: an extreme survival story in space.
  84. Nov 9, 2013
    Overrated. This word pretty much sums up Gravity as a movie. There is little character depth and the storyline is pretty dull. In the end it was just an action movie, with pretty good visuals. With reviewers saying this is the best movie in year, my expectations for the movie was extremely high. This movie had a predictable plot and failed to keep me interested for too long. TheOverrated. This word pretty much sums up Gravity as a movie. There is little character depth and the storyline is pretty dull. In the end it was just an action movie, with pretty good visuals. With reviewers saying this is the best movie in year, my expectations for the movie was extremely high. This movie had a predictable plot and failed to keep me interested for too long. The science behind the movie was awful, but I wasn't expecting the movie to be very realistic at all. I would recommend seeing this movie yourself so you can form your own opinion, but don't expect a thought provoking masterpiece. Expand
  85. Nov 9, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This film was pretty intense and at the same time, not. A lot of boring scenes and nothing really going on, then several scenes where Bullock should have died about 200 times over. The ending REALLY pissed me off by leaving off too much to wonder. She could have died of starvation right there on the beach, OR she could have moved on and lived a new life, OR return back to NASA. Too much left unsaid. Now, the film and special effects was very excellent and the scenes that weren't boring had a lot going for them. Overall, the movie is worth seeing. Expand
  86. Nov 11, 2013
    I found Gravity to be disappointing, though i'm not sure if its because its a very average film, or simply because I'd heard so much praise about it from critics and reviewers that i had unrealistic expectations about how good it was going to be. The performances from Bullock and Clooney are decent, and theres some very stunning visuals and nice touches throughout the entire film.I found Gravity to be disappointing, though i'm not sure if its because its a very average film, or simply because I'd heard so much praise about it from critics and reviewers that i had unrealistic expectations about how good it was going to be. The performances from Bullock and Clooney are decent, and theres some very stunning visuals and nice touches throughout the entire film. Ultimately however, i felt the film never really built up into anything. If you're thinking about seeing it, i have a single piece of advice: Ignore everything you've heard or read about it, and enter the cinema without any prior expectations. Expand
  87. Nov 21, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This film is dire. Goodness knows how it comes by such critical acclaim. The CGI is excellent, but when you've whirled around in space for the umpteenth time the novelty starts to wear off. There is almost no plot. There is no realism in the dynamics of free fall. You just can't dangle on the end of a rope when there's no gravity. The film just repeats the same scenes over and over. Bullock tries to use US reentry vehicle, but it all goes horribly wrong, then the Russian reentry vehicle, but it all goes horribly wrong, then the Chinese one, which works, hoorah! Each change of vehicle necessitate Bullock squeezing in and out of her spacesuit in her underwear hang on isn't that Ripley's thing in Alien? When Bullock is under stress she hums to herself (hang on isn't etc etc). And oh God protect us from American (sorry guys) schmatlz. Bullock has a young daughter, but that's not enough, it has to be a dead daughter, but that's not enough, after Clooney dies, Bullock sends him off with a message for her dead daughter. Ugh. As someone else here said, given the way disaster is piled on disaster it was a wonder there wasn't an alligator shark monster from the black lagoon in the lake that she so fortuitously landed in. Expand
  88. Oct 6, 2013
    10/10 this movie is phenomenal. I do love space in general, taking me on a ride to actual space was breathe taking I was on the edge of my seat the whole movie. The ambient music put me in the best mood, it was funny at times, it was so emotional as well. Though this is a space simulation it still has a plot and a story that leaves you going home and just thinking really how it is in space10/10 this movie is phenomenal. I do love space in general, taking me on a ride to actual space was breathe taking I was on the edge of my seat the whole movie. The ambient music put me in the best mood, it was funny at times, it was so emotional as well. Though this is a space simulation it still has a plot and a story that leaves you going home and just thinking really how it is in space and you get a glimpse in this movie to see how it really is. The 18 people that just really dont get it well not every movie is for everyone but this really is fantastic movie and I will rewatch this movie over and over and over again. Expand
  89. Oct 12, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I paid the extra bucks primarily to see how far 3D has come since Avatar. It has gotten better and the CGI effects in Gravity are quite good. Now, having said that the plot is really silly. Clooney's character jetting around the shutlle seems absurd. Bullock having to survive one smash up after another is classic Hollywood. The science is mostly wrong (e.g. Clooney floating away after being caught by Bullock). Worth seeing but only for the cinematography and effects. I also wonedered where the shark was at the end like another reviewer. Expand
  90. Nov 16, 2013
    Terrible, even in 3D with the amazing CGI & soundtrack, I wanted to puke my balls out of my the entirety of this movie. The plot sucked balls, Clooney or however the you spell his name is a chode, and Bullock needs to reconsider her career options.
  91. Oct 4, 2013
    Easily one of the best space film I've ever seen and ever. Gravity offer high level of tension add with beautiful visual design and strong acting. This is masterpiece of movie. Watch it in 3D if possible. :D
  92. Mar 1, 2014
    Just when I am wondering why people on here keep giving bad reviews to great movies with complex, emotional screenwriting, here I see one of the lamest movies since Jodi Foster did "Contact", and people think it's cool because they watched it in Imax-- which reminded them that there are stars and a universe and stuff above our heads.

This movie has no story whatsoever. Literally nothing

This movie has no story whatsoever. Literally nothing happens-- whoever called this "intense and gripping" must not have watched a movie since "The Wizard of Oz". Sandra Bullock floats around in space, there is a meteor shower (because wtf else happens in space without alien attacks???), George Clooney is in the film maybe 20 min....probably because he'd rather float off into space and suffocate to death than continue making this movie with Sandra bullock. I mean, at least with Ms. Congeniality we got to see her in a dress.

P.s. -- how do you have fires burning on the exterior of structures in outer space? Fire requires certain compounds present in the atmosphere...
  93. Dec 12, 2013
    This movie is utter BS. Waste of time, money, and poor actors. If you want a cheap lobotomy, watch this movie. If you had basic physics in school, avoid this movie, as it will do your head in! I now know why the name of the film is called gravity, it's because they screw around with it, all the freaking time!!
  94. Nov 11, 2013
    I will start by saying I am a huge fan of "user ratings" and I have consistently used this website to make viewing decisions. This movie was so bad, that I finally did it...I made an account so I could share with you, and hopefully alter your decision.
    Gravity was one of the worst movies I have ever seen! In a film that was rich in special effects that I will admit are quite stunning, lies a hollywood turd that people are choosing to gawk at.
    This movie is literally the "SANDRA BULLOCK CAN GRAB ONTO POWER HOUR". If you would like to see her continually miss grabbing for 2 hours..then this movie is for you. Clooney is the highlight..all for about 5 minutes he is actually in the film! I hate this movie, I hate it so much.
    Granted its visually appealing, that is about all its got. DONT WATCH THIS GARBAGE MOVIE!
  95. Oct 11, 2013
    “Gravity” stars Sandra Bullock, George Clooney and the voice of Ed Harris. As lacking as it is in the number of cast members, it is even more lacking in terms of entertainment. Director and co-writer Alfonso Cuaron has given us a film that is devoid of logic and reality. Although one must acknowledge the awesome scenes supposedly from outer space, this could all be achieved by watching“Gravity” stars Sandra Bullock, George Clooney and the voice of Ed Harris. As lacking as it is in the number of cast members, it is even more lacking in terms of entertainment. Director and co-writer Alfonso Cuaron has given us a film that is devoid of logic and reality. Although one must acknowledge the awesome scenes supposedly from outer space, this could all be achieved by watching the opening credits of “2001 A Space Oddysey” or attending an Imax film on the International Space Station.
    Ms. Bullock and Mr. Clooney just don’t belong in the movie since their portrayals are simply not believable.. In casting Ms. Bullock, the director no doubt remembered her in the film “Speed” and her attempt to control a runaway bus. Unfortunately, in this film, she is supposed to be more than an innocent passenger and, instead of a bus, she plays an astronaut attempting to control a damaged space ship. It just doesn’t work and the 91 minutes it takes to tell the story is much too long, even for a “woe-manned” (pun intended) space flight. Mr. Clooney’s participation is a puzzlement and, as for Ed Harris, he was smart enough not to be seen but only heard..As I watched the film I was aware of the large number of critics who literally loved this picture. Why, I do not know. As for me, I can only be grateful that I saw the film in 3D since the space images are the only redeeming features in it. For that reason I give the film a 6.5 for, without these scenes, it could well deserve less.
  96. Oct 5, 2013
    OH MY GOSH! this movie was so intense,damn! i was so nervous my heart was pumping like crazy oh god i don't know how to explain what the movie makes u feel,there were so many feeling,emotions just PERFECT!
  97. Oct 6, 2013
    Great movie see in 3d Sandra Bullock is awesome. The special effects were so real. I was on the edge of my seat during the whole movie. It made me think of real astronauts and their missions
  98. Oct 8, 2013
    Breakthrough kind of film. Milestone. Subject of study in Universities of Visual Arts.
    Cuaron is a genius All the things he had to overcome to do this the way he wanted!!...Awesome Bullock in her part.
    It has been some years since the last time we can share at a movie theater a cinematographic experience so organically vividly and in some many different levels, and it will pass some time for the next one.
    Some may say is a simple story, but there are layers if you want to go deep, it´s up to you. You choose. or just relax if you can) and enjoy the most amazing out of this world space trip you'll ever gonna get.
    ( Can't understand critics of physic, astronomy, etc... Its only a movie! Get over it.!. those critics speak for the persons who talked, by the way))
    Pure cinema spirit. Marvelous
  99. May 26, 2014
    Probably the worst movie I've ever seen. It was so boring and horrible acting. I honestly just wanted them to die the entire time, that's how bad this movie was.
  100. Oct 8, 2013
    Sandra Bullock and George Clooney are 2 astronauts who struggle for their lives when their space walk is shattered. The cast is small and the plot is simple, but this film packs a colossal wallop. The groundbreaking effects are truly spectacular (in every sense of the word). Director Alfonso Cuarón has created a dazzling cinematic masterpiece with gripping suspense that never lets up. EvenSandra Bullock and George Clooney are 2 astronauts who struggle for their lives when their space walk is shattered. The cast is small and the plot is simple, but this film packs a colossal wallop. The groundbreaking effects are truly spectacular (in every sense of the word). Director Alfonso Cuarón has created a dazzling cinematic masterpiece with gripping suspense that never lets up. Even with the amazing spectacle of outer space, he and Bullock create an intimate, emotional roller coaster ride. This is a filmmaking at its best. Don't miss it! Expand

1. Reviewed by: James Mottram
    Nov 3, 2013
    A stunning space saga that takes off for new technical frontiers without leaving its humanity behind.
  2. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Oct 6, 2013
    Gravity is not a film of ideas, like Kubrick's techno-mystical "2001," but it's an overwhelming physical experience -- a challenge to the senses that engages every kind of dread. [7 Oct. 2013, p.88]
  3. Reviewed by: Dana Stevens
    Oct 4, 2013
    This is not to say that Gravity is a masterpiece: Unlike Cuarón’s extraordinary "Children of Men", it doesn’t quite pull off its ambitious effort to combine formal inventiveness, heart-pounding action, and intimate human storytelling. But it succeeds thrillingly at the first two of those categories, and only misses the mark on the last because it tries a little too hard — which is certainly a welcome respite from the countless sci-fi thrillers that privilege the human story not at all.