7.9

1. Oct 12, 2013
    This is a great film and one of the best films of 2013 ,if not THE best. It's not perfect, but it's a movie you cannot miss. First of all, the visuals are spectacular. The cinematography and art-style are beautiful, and the CGI and special effects boost the experience rather than hinder it. I highly recommend watching this film in 3D as it truly does improve the overall experience. The acting is good, and the story while not perfect is simple and touching enough to work. Cuaron has crafted an extremely entertaining,visually stunning movie that you simply cannot miss.If your looking for a film to give you a reason to go to the movie theater this is it. Expand
  2. Nov 2, 2013
    To be honest I was expecting better. The visuals are impressive but the movie lack a story its just a succession of events to keep the audience interested, but the bad part is that is quite predictable.
  3. Oct 13, 2013
    Congratulations, Mr. Cuaron and his marketing team successfully extracted US $123 mio in 2 weeks from United States of Americans. By the way your movie sucked gravity! Life of Pi was much better than this movie which didn't have any story. The most funniest part was when Kowalski comes in Stone's dream and says did you try that button or this one, come on you got to get home.
  4. Nov 11, 2013
    I saw this film several weeks ago but looking back I find it quite possibly the best new film I saw all year (so far). Of course, presumably there are a number of great foreign-language films from 2013 yet to be released in the USA, as well as any number of your usual end-of-year Oscar bait releases on the way. But rarely have I seen a film as deeply engaging and enjoyable as GRAVITY. My only quibble was that Sandra Bullock's performance sometimes reminded me too much of her character in SPEED. All in all, though, GRAVITY is a truly extraordinary and quite possibly classic achievement in cinematic art. Expand
  5. Oct 4, 2013
    Finally! A space movie that does not involve aliens, supernatural events, or even psychological events. It is just you and sandra bullock in space, experiencing events in space that could most definitely happen. It's gripping, intense, and most of all the soundtrack and sound effects are by far some of the best that I have ever heard. One thing though, don't take your children to go see their movies. All of their dreams to be astronauts will be crushed by experiencing the true horrific nature of space and most of all....Gravity. Expand
  6. Oct 6, 2013
    I was a bit skeptical about this movie. When I went to go see it I realized how good this movie really is. O was amazed by the effects and sound. It had very intense moments that will have you at the edge of your seat. The ending was so intense and made me feel like is she going to make it. This is probably the best movie of this year. WATCH IN 3D. trust me 3d makes it so much better
  7. Oct 29, 2013
    Visuals outstanding, use of audio underwhelming. Storyline/character development could have been written on a 3x5 card. In a nutshell, life happens (good and bad), get up, move forward. The end. Not a fan. Sorry.
  8. Nov 7, 2013
    Apparently, none of the reviewers have never seen Space Cowboys. A movie made in 2000, Just as good, and it was only given a 73. The acting was better also.
  9. Oct 27, 2013
    This was the first movie that said, "Goddammit!" It also made me squirm, tilt my head, put my hands up from the 3-D effects, and made me interested the entire time. The zero gravity effects were astonishing as well as all the other CGI. The story line was good, nothing spectacular. The acting was great as well. Well done.
  10. Oct 27, 2013
    As everybody knows there are only two actors in the movie and they wear spacesuits and helmets most of the time. Therefore, acting and human interaction are not the key. Personally, I think too much time was given to Sandra Bullock and her dramatic situation. Clooney would have provided some buoyancy and made the movie more interesting character-wise.

If I have to point out one major
    defect, I found it silly to have Bullock look so good, with no sign of injuries or dirtiness and with her hair perfectly combed. Yes, she was mercifully make-up free, but otherwise she looked like she had just stepped out of her bed after a refreshing night’s sleep.

For me, the film is an ode to the beauty and dangers of space, the only “virgin” territory left to explore. I used to think that being an astronaut was great, but I had to reconsider. Besides, the film is an example of 3D put to good use. The three-dimensional effects worked wonders in most sequences.

We see earth and all the meteorological events we observe from down here, we see sunrise from an astonishing angle, small objects float towards us and we even get the “personal” point of view of gazing through the helmet of one astronaut. The soundtrack was also great, underlying dramatic moments without being too bombastic.

There was also a major technical blunder which you can found out by yourself, but on the whole I must confess I am a sucker for movies set in space where the space is the main character and I got totally lost in this one.
  11. Oct 22, 2013
    This is no transformers or any action packed blockbuster, but is a gripping, intense film that will keep you at the edge of your seat throughout. A refreshing and emotional thrill ride for those riddled with action blockbuster fatigue, you will leave the theatre feeling that it had been worth every cent.

Stand out points of this film include the visual effects, cinematography, and
    Sandra Bullocks. It's still in theatres so I definitely recommend watching, in 3D for that extra wow factor. Expand
  12. Oct 5, 2013
    So far, Gravity is the best film I have seen this year. Really, I'd be lying if I didn't say it was one of the best films of this year. The story is probably one of the most original and terrifying stories I've seen in a long time. Not only is it something different in the film industry for once, but it gives me the chills that horror games wish they could replicate. It's better here because the fear of being detached in space is real, and it really pulls this off well. The visuals and effects are by far the best part of this film. I'd even go as far to say it's this decade's Jurassic Park in terms of special effects. The film also has excellent performances from Sandra Bullock and George Clooney. The both actors do a fine job at acting and expressing emotion in this film. In the end, my only problem is the use of music. The music, while beautifully composed, is used using the formula of getting very loud and suddenly cutting off. it gets really annoying at times, but thankfully this happens only a handful of times. Even if another film surpasses this as my favorite of the year, I still cannot deny that Gravity is a legendary film, one of the best I have ever seen. I'd highly recommend it to anyone looking for a good flick. Expand
  13. Feb 3, 2014
    这是一部很美很简单的电影,从画面到情节都很简单,布洛克的独角戏演得不错,配乐不错很渲染气氛。
    但是,这部电影的价值只能在IMAX3D中才可以被释放,只有在那里才可以感受到它的震撼,不然就没什么意思了。
  14. Dec 11, 2013
    Perfect. This was one of the best movies i have seen in my life. the movie had a great story, great plot, and amazing special effects. This movie is a good message for NASA to explain how to survive in space and how to now how it feels most importantly. This movie will take you on an epic journey and right now this has got to be a 10 out of 10. There is no other movie that can top this film.
  15. Nov 1, 2013
    This movie is absolutely stunning from the get go. I can't remember ever being pulled into a film so completely and thoroughly, and I don't think I've seen a more beautiful film. Its a pretty intense ninety minutes, with Bullock's character constantly battling one catastrophe after another, and all of it is amazing to see. The plot is pretty straight forward (see it, I won't talk about that), but its the way they pull it off that makes it absolutely worth seeing. Thanks to some incredible CGI, great direction, and solid acting, the movie is an absolute must see. I'm normally not a fan of 3D movies (I hate wearing the stupid glasses), but this movie uses it wonderfully and to great effect. I would strongly recommend seeing it in an IMAX theatre if you get the chance if there was ever a movie made for 3d IMAX, this is it. Expand
  16. Oct 7, 2013
    I don't understand the hype on this movie. The cinematography is absolutely stunning for sure, and some pretty great acting, but nothing else. Pacing becomes irritating, not enough characterization to care about the ONLY characters we interact with and the back story to the vent occurring isn't strong enough to make us feel the tension.
    Good film, but not the greatest thing ever made like
    everybody is saying. Expand
  17. Oct 5, 2013
    Gravity is an enveloping, enthralling, gripping, and unique film. This movie has astounding visuals, but also has a fully realized story and great performances from the two leads. Cuaron's ambition pays off big here, and I hope that this film sets a new higher standard for Hollywood productions.
  18. Nov 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. So I walked into this movie thinking this might actually be better than the trailer actually showed but it turns out that the movie was the trailer, but it had more. You are first introduced to one of the loudest noises I have ever heard in a movie. I swear it was so loud everyone in the theater had to cover their ears to save their eardrums from being blown out. This happens throughtout the whole movie it goes from quiet air into an uneccesarily loud sound and then back to silence and then repeats. Enough of the sound though let's talk about the movie. You first see a random extra astronaut and then you are introduced to sandra bullock's character dr. Ryan stone who in the past has lost a daughter at the age of 4 which is a sad story to me, but that isn't the point we are watching gravity. Basically the explorer gets hit and then the rest of the movie is sandra bullock breathing and crying for the last 50 minutes or so. Did I mention the excellent cameo of George Clooney? Well might as well consider it a cameo and call sandra bullock and the voice on earth the cast; a whopping cast of two people for a film. There was no great plot just bullock floating in space trying to get down to earth. There was zero character development meaning I could have cared less whether bullock survived or not. The movie was also one of the dullest if not the dullest movie I have ever seen it was so dull that me and my friend kept poking jokes at it and laughing our mouths off. Although I do give the film a thumbs up on George Clooney's cameo and good message about survival, it is still one of the worst movies I have ever seen absolutely horrendous. Overall 3/10 Expand
  19. Mar 13, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Great visuals,great direction,great musical score, BAD screenplay and average acting.At times Bullock's character really irritated me, and how can an astronaut who's only had 6 months of training be so calm and know so much about the workings of the shuttles? Really disappointed they didn't make a better effort to write a better story, visuals and music alone don't make a great movie. Expand
  20. Jan 11, 2014
    This film was not what I expected - I was actually pleasantly surprised! That doesn't, however, mean it was the brilliant film most have been raving about. The cinematography / cgi work was breathtaking and stood out for most of the film. There was action. Really! And a lot of it! I caught myself on a few occasions glued to the screen, apprehension drawn all over my face. Sadly, my face appeared to have more emotion that that of Sandra Bullock's Dr Ryan. Both she and Clooney (playing the somewhat garrulous astronaut Kowalski) appeared to be going through the motions giving underwhelming performances. As the film progressed the situations Dr Ryan found herself in became increasingly more ridiculous. It all begins with the Russians bombing their own satellite by accident (already, facepalm) creating debris and initiating a chain-reaction of events. And yes, the physics of it all was not as accurate as some might want you to believe. Clichés galore, let's also chuck in a side-story about the protagonist's massive personal loss from her recent past - to make her more approachable? Likable? Believable? Oh, wait, to add the existential dilemma needed for added emotional gravitas to the film! Right….. Yet one would be able to suspend their belief if the dialogue supported it. In this film, it didn't. It was, frankly, quite juvenile at times. This could of been for me the masterpiece others saw had more effort been put in parts of the plot and most of the dialogue (the later being what I'm holding responsible for both Bullock and Clooney's subpar performances). In summary, NOT the innovative masterpiece expected, however a watchable pop-corn movie nonetheless. Expand
  21. Oct 5, 2013
    WoW!!!!! Absolutely loved it. I was so stressed in the cinema that sometime I closed my eyes because I couldn't see S.Bullock suffering so much. Very good movie, with a lot of suspense and action. In addition, it's very dramatic. Go see it!!!
  22. Oct 20, 2013
    My God, it's full of stars. No wait, wrong movie, but yes, there are lots and lots of stars and you feel the infinity of space in Gravity.The ballet of astronauts floating and working against the amazing backdrop of Earth reminded me of "2001: A Space Oddity" but so much more real. Definitely a gripping movie; had me gripping my popcorn. It was a pleasure to feel for the people in the movie, especially Dr. Ryan Stone, portrayed by Sandra Bullock. I can't say enough good about her but will say that she carries this movie all by herself. Worth seeing for the amazing cinematography and do see this in 3D. Expand
  23. Feb 6, 2014
    I very rarely watch movies at IMAX theaters. Between the hassle of finding compatible theaters, reserving seats, and covering the exorbitant ticket prices, often times the inconveniences of the IMAX experience simply outweigh any of its redeeming qualities. In fact, I only watched one film in IMAX this year. And I am so thankful that film was Alfonso Cuarón’s celestial drama Gravity.
    Let’s talk first about the visuals. Earth when viewed from high above the atmosphere, however spectacular, strategically appears like a dirty marble when compared to the glistening metals and soft whites that glow like diamonds against the pitch black space backdrop. Thus, in scenes where Sandra Bullock is drifting away from a wrecked satellite, her coruscating white suit set against the blackness of outer space masterfully emphasizes her isolation, eliciting powerful emotions of fear and solitude. The painstaking effort to render every detail of the satellites not only captures the beauty of the set, but also glorifies the devastation that ensues; tons of satellite debris ricocheting at the speed of a bullet reduce space stations to floating rubble in a manner so remarkably grand and cinematic, all we can do is sit petrified and look on with rapt eyes.
    These special effects are spellbinding but, as is true with all movies, they are useless without the right cinematography to give them depth and relevance. By combining drawn-out shots of slow zero-gravity movement with rapid vertiginous action shots reminiscent of falling in a dream, director of photography Emmanuel Lubezki (The Tree of Life, Children of Men) uses a myriad of perspectives to create an environment with a feel so multidimensional, it simply cannot be achieved with 3D glasses alone. This spaciousness does not invite us into outer space, but instead shoves us right into it. For ninety minutes, we’re truly alone in space, and it is heart stopping.
    I was shocked to discover the film only cost roughly $100 million to make (compare to $237 million Avatar). However, this may be due in large to the fact that it had only two actors (and a handful of voices). Sandra Bullock and George Clooney essentially carried the film’s entire weight. Although both gave wonderful performances, I have to tip my hat to Bullock. While Clooney’s performance evoked comfortable, Bullock’s Oscar-worthy performance evoked deep, genuine, distressful fear. Every expression was executed with emotive strength; every line was uttered with confident awareness. She truly was the star of the film (pun intended).
    The screenplay, written by Alfonso and his 30-year old son Jonas, approaches science fiction and suspense in an unorthodox fashion, much like 2001: A Space Odyssey did. Rife with symbolism and introspective dialogue, Cuarón’s screenplay manages to avoid such science-fiction pitfalls as clichéd vapid characterizations and contrived plot twists. Profound themes, such as the extended metaphor of rebirth, never compete for priority with more superficial themes, such as survival and solitude. For this reason, the film functions as a popcorn-munching blockbuster as well as a thinking and feeling piece of art better than any other blockbuster or art film this year. The way Cuarón handles both ends of the film spectrum with such apparent ease and perpetual attentiveness merits some serious laud (and maybe even an Oscar).
    In the end, Gravity proves to be an experience everyone will enjoy – science aficionados, visual effects buffs, art-house hunters – as long as it is watched in 3D (trust me, the extra seven dollars have never been so worth it).

FINAL SCORE: 100 (perfect)
  24. Dec 2, 2013
    This is an amazing movie with some of the best visual effects I have ever seen. It for sure deserves the best visual effects Oscar this year and maybe even best picture. Great acting and movie all around.
  25. Oct 19, 2013
    Actually Zodd.... the guy who wishes to label all who love this movie, or remotely enjoy it it would seem, idiots.... Yet rabbits on about critic's disinformation... um, it is MISinformation... you hypocritical, waste of come and space (excuse the pun)... Please do not espouse your intelligence, whilst demonstrating your illiteracy? I have only so many LOLs a day to attribute to such ironic idiocy.

So, please pipe down in the cheap seats fools.
  26. Jan 13, 2014
    Gravity is the definition of a perfect movie. It might be boring if you were expecting an action or Sci-Fi movie, but I personally had no idea of what I was going to watch the moment I bought my tickets, then, when I came out from the cinema, I was delighted.
  27. Oct 26, 2013
    If there was 20 out of 10, this would be my rating!
    Is it a good movie? I've seen it twice so far, I am planning to buy it, this is how good it is, I don't normally buy movies, this is a collector's item!!!
    Please see the movie it is well worth the money, pure art, pure genious
    Thank you Mr Alfonso Caurion! You have brightened up my life.
    God Bless you
  28. Nov 21, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The movie is indeed very good however it could have had so much more potential (and cultural impact) if it were not made for the mainstream viewers.

When watching the trailers and reading about the movie, I though it would be more philosophical like: What do you do, if you are alone in space, waiting for death with exactly no possibilities to survive? Do you freak out? Are you scared?

The director should have added half an hour (the movie is very short) of just nothing. Floating around in space with no direction, no guidance, no entertainment, no sound. Of course, you cannot bore your viewers in such a way, however, it would have shown how dangerous being alone and miserable can be. In Gravity, this aspect is only picked up in a very superficial way.

tl;dr Instead of making a philosophical, sophisticated movie, the director put too much action in it.
  29. Jan 21, 2014
    It's watchable okay, but I wouldn't recommend it for those who wants to watch a movie with action, because it didn't really happen anything big or spectacular in this movie, just small events and boring conversations between the astronauts, my whole family were half-sleeping thought the movie, although that we are big sci-fi fans! The movie had it moments, but they were not long-lasted and fell down into a drama-like-boring-conversations. The positive thing about this movie is that it's very well made and that the story is unique, beside the science in the movie, for example that the Chinese station just "fell out of it's orbit" and resulted in destruction and that you freeze instantly when exposed to vacuum, I mean come on, every kid that has an education knows that! and if you don't believe me...just search on the Internet on whats true & false about the science in Gravity!
    Overall is Gravity is a boring movie, even thought the story is great.
    Gravity gets a 5/10
  30. Oct 20, 2013
    This is the best movie of year so far. They mixed horror and sci-fi and they did it like a boss. Even though it does get a little boring at times, and Sandra's breathing can get on your nerves, it is an awesome movie. Go watch while it is still in cinemas!
  31. May 25, 2014
    "I wake up go to work and i just drive"

Gravity is by far the best movie of the year so far beating out both Before Midnight and Mud. I had Chills from start to finish the movie felt more like a ride and it left me on the edge of my set the whole time. Though the movie is only 90 minutes it feels more like a two hour movie the way it paces itself.

Alfonso Cuarón has done some great
    movies in the past with Children of Men and Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. This film is by far the best he has done everything from the Actors to the CGI was perfect. Watching this in IMAX format was definitely worth the hour drive in the rain and the $20 dollars for the ticket.

Sandra Bullock and George Clooney are amazing actors i love them both but Sandra Bullock was on another level in this film. Sure The Blind Side was a good movie but i think if she won Best Actress for that movie then then she should definitely win for Gravity it's a WAY WAY! better movie if she doesn't ill be pretty upset. George Clooney is an amazing actor and he proves it again in this with his performance. His dialog really hits you in the heart especially there at the end.

The CGI was on just amazing beating out everything i watched at the theaters this year it feels like you are there in space. The realism was on another level also beating out Europa Report which was another film that was high on realism. The moment when i seen the Airglow in the film i felt Bliss hit my body.

Overall i give it a Perfect 10 Truly an amazing film i knew this was going to AMAZING and i CAN'T WAIT for the blu-ray. I'm just in love with space and this movie was just another one i will add to my collection now onto the next great sci-fi Interstellar.
  32. Nov 15, 2013
    I was told that Gravity was boring in 2D so we saw it in 3D and it was boring....... and Stupid. George Cluney just played his part like a guy who thinks I'm beautiful so I don't need to act, so he cracks jokes while an exploding satellite destroys their spacecraft, 'looks like Facebook will be off the air haha'. When they make it to the ISS Bullock has to flip through the user manual to learn how to fly the thing, how ridiculous, really this movie is a joke, don't waste your money. Expand
  33. Oct 13, 2013
    Gravity is something else. It redefines cinema, it redefines entertainment. For an actual film maker like myself, this has changed the way I think about film. It's perfect and you need to see it
  34. Jan 9, 2014
    Visually amazing but boring as f*ck !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  35. Mar 13, 2014
    This is one of the best visually enchanting movies ever made . Meticulously choreographed and greatly acted by Sandra which for me is the best female performance of 2013. Yes the story is simple but is very effective and intense. This is a whole visceral experience . I was with her facing existential dread. This is pure masterpiece .
  36. Jun 17, 2014
    A thrilling roller coaster ride made out of diamonds; a gorgeously detailed disaster/survival movie. Stoic themes: learn to detach, let go, etc. Superior acting performance from Bullock as the mission specialist. A few improbabilities and cliches buried underneath literal awesomeness, an awe that feels grounded in an ocean of reality.
  37. Oct 13, 2013
    Just...terrific, one of the best movies i ever seen, incredible acting, score, and directed...Most beautiful film ever, must watch...cant breath until now
  38. Oct 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Action moments, Amazing quality and Writing. Must watch more than 2 times. Charecters and and a little comedy everything is in right place its 3-D is also worth the price Expand
  39. Nov 29, 2013
    I went to see this movie with a group of friends, and my original thought was that it was going to be bad. But when I got there and saw it in 3D, my afterwards reaction was that it was amazing. It had perfect graphics and a great acting scale. It also kept you isolated from Earth the entire movie, which made it more intense. The music was a bit loud, but I thought it was fine for a movie of that scale. Expand
  40. Oct 7, 2013
    As a spectacle this film is pretty much the definition. It's definitely spectacular, but I think it's appeal would disappear on the small screen or not in 3d. It's really pretty gimmicky.

The story is about as barebones as you can get while still being able to bill someone as the writer. The acting is alright, but I don't think they'd make anyone who is prone to panic attacks an
    astronaut. Nor probably the inventor of something. Anyway, most things in this film aren't really plausible in any sort of way.

I dunno, the fact that a major part of the story hinges on a momentary inconsistency in the laws of motion kinda bugs me a lot.

Either way, it's a pretty fun waste of 90 minutes, but if you see it, see it on the big screen or not at all.
  41. Nov 2, 2013
    This movie made me lean forward, hold my breath, feel lonely and frightened. Honestly, sitting in a seat following these astronauts made me sometimes a little seasick, but in a good way. The realistic contrast is really coming through the screen, space is not a joke. 91 minutes was all it took to reform my perspective view of space relative to earth. The downsides are not worth mentioning. 9.5/10 if I could. Expand
  42. Oct 8, 2013
    Best space film I've ever seen with it's stunning and realistic visuals. Gravity takes us and gives us the experience of outer space; the eerie vacuum silence and the feel of claustrophobia while spiraling into unknown with uncertain chance of survival. This is not just a film. This is epic.
  43. Oct 5, 2013
    I had the privilege of seeing the new movie Gravity in 3D on its opening night staring Sandra Bullock and George Clooney. I ended up sitting in a perfectly positioned center seat! (Thank you God!) The movie invited me very tenderly... gently into its initial scene, immersing me into deep space with the most beautiful, captivating view of earth I have ever witnessed in my entire life! It was simply breathtaking! I truly felt I was in my own space suite working weightlessly side by side other astronauts in this strangely beautiful environment with the space shuttle directly at my feet. What happens next? Oh my goodness!!! You've got to see for yourself! If you have motion sickness, bring your pills... if you like roller coasters with nonstop twists and turns... you have a seat waiting for you! A masterpiece of a movie filled with spectacular cutting edge special effects, incredibly superb acting, a story line that will make you laugh, cry, and even hold your breath! I have one word to help summarize this new film... Wow!!! Expand
  44. Oct 5, 2013
    this is an amazing movie, one of the best movies I have seen in 3D, a different story and incredible, the performances are very good, it has very good visual effects undoubtedly one of the best films of 2013.
  45. Oct 5, 2013
    This the best film i see ever because is a no stop of things happening a long the film and when is finish you estay there to think about the thinghs that happend in the film
  46. Oct 26, 2013
    This is a phenomenal movie that has you on the edge of your seat. The only reason I don't give it a perfect 10 is because there are a few plot points that seem kind of forced to keep the action moving. Still, if you suspend your belief in absolute cold, hard science just a little bit, (I mean, you're at a movie, right?) you will have a great time.
  47. Oct 5, 2013
    a beautiful and enjoyable film with great visual beauty over outer space. great performances from Sandra Bullock And George Clooney. the best space film I've seen in my life
  48. Oct 5, 2013
    Cuarón has already proven himself to be as supremely talented a cinematic stylist as Michael Bay, David Fincher and James Cameron but with "Gravity" he does his peers one better by using his visuals devices in service of telling his story as opposing to straining against it. By subtlety shifting from a third-person to a first-person perspective and filling the screen with verisimilitudic detail, Cuarón and his brilliant cinematographer Emmanuel Lubezki slowly take the viewer from uninvolved observer to active participant. With every frozen tear drop and fogged up helmet, Cuarón makes his world a real place to the extent that when a bunch of satellite debris came rushing at Stone, I wasn't worried about her being chopped in half, I was terrifying of shrapnel tearing into my own flesh. Mexican and proud! Expand
  49. Oct 7, 2013
    It was a nice, emotional take on a movie that portrays the will to survive at all cost! Earth views in the 3D IMAX viewing were amazing!!! However, I personally think the movie was mostly dull and predictable! If not for George Clooney's humor & high spirits, the movie would have been even duller with just whinings, groans and incoherent noises from Bullock! The emotional epicenter of Sandra Bullock was exposed. It wasn't bad, but it was no Anna Hathaway in Les Misérables!!! Some scenes got me saying "wtf', but then some scenes also left me breathless and quiet! I would recommend not watching this at home. Its definitely a must see on IMAX 3D to enjoy the best parts of the movie, but if you were expecting the next best movie of the year, this isn't it!!! Finally, if you are a Bullock fan, then you definitely don't wanna miss some of the up-close sexy and genuine scenes the experienced actress has to offer! No nudity, so don't let your imagination go that far! Before viewing the movie, you should set your mindset to that of an Astronaut, wear your cool 3D IMAX glasses and make sure your don't fall asleep to miss the best parts!!! Enjoy! Expand
  50. Oct 7, 2013
    I'll save a few bytes on this website. Just read the review from "abramedi" and ditto for me. My only question is why does the review score not go to "11"?!
  51. Oct 8, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. An interesting movie... interesting, not awesome. The Idea behind the Movie is quite original, though simple. There is only 1 important Character (Dr. Stone) and Sandra Bullock is doing a good job. Still, the whole Movie seems kinda messed up. Not because of the Story, you dont even really have to pay attention to the Movie, because you'll usually know, what will happen next. And that's bad. But there's something else: Some Scenes just dont fit. For Example, when she enters the ISS, she's floating around in space doing almost nothing for a couple of Minutes... Smae thing when she's talking to that Chinese guy... these Scenes are calm and peaceful, while others are completely different (eg. when she escapes the ISS). The Movie is trying to be thrilling, but it doesnt really work, because the whole Movie is very predictable (well, except for that Dream Scene, where Kowalski returns). The Special Effects are good, that's for sure and George Clooney is just doing an awesome job, but the Movie cant make me feel with Dr. Stone, neither Kowalski. I always felt like i was watching an experimental Movie, and not a very good one in particular... Expand
  52. Oct 9, 2013
    Phenomenal in every respect. It had a surprisingly deep level of reflection upon death, life and our place in the Universe. I couldn't stop thinking about this film for days after watching it. Visually fantastic, the performances from Clooney and Bullock were incredible, marks of truly seasoned actors, and even the slightly Hollywoodised script was amazing. 10/10, best film of the year so far. A must-watch. Expand
  53. Oct 9, 2013
    After seeing so much regurgitated crap at the movies this year Gravity is a breath of fresh air. I left blown back at how beautiful the film was. There is long continues shots that make you wonder how it was done. I'm probably going back to see this in IMAX.
  54. Mar 18, 2014
    Dreadful! The characters are Hollywood stock - the wise-cracking alpha male hero, the shrieking frightened woman, the dispensable minority etc etc. The attempts to develop the characters are so pitiful they make things worse (the dead daughter? What was that about?). And the dialogue is so cheesy you'd think it was made in the 1980s. The film does do a good job of conveying zero gravity, and it's quite amusing when SB strips to her underwear for absolutely no apparent reason but those are the only good things about it apart from the fact it's nice and short (shorter still if you fast-forward the unnecessary escape-pod scenes).

I'd say if you thought Avatar was a great film and/or you've recently had part of your brain removed you will enjoy this. Nobody else should bother.
  55. Oct 10, 2013
    It's honestly not as good as some are making it out to be, but not as bad as the negative reviewers here would have you believe.

I'll start with what I thought wasn't great:

Good SFX don't make a movie great anymore. It's become so run-of-the-mill that huge budgets lead to top-notch effects while the acting/character development/plot get neglected. And that is what happens (to an
    extent) in Gravity.

I thought the acting wasn't all that great. Because only Clooney and Sandra have screen time, their rapport had to be top-notch to take the movie from a FX spectacle to an actual film. They failed to do so in my opinion, both giving slightly hokey performances. It didn't help that the dialogue was pretty awful.

As for the positives:

This movie has ridiculously awesome, eye-popping special effects, sound, 3-D, and cinematography. Probably better in these areas than any other film this year when you put it all together. The overall plot, as in the events that transpire, are pretty awesome too. As is the pacing of the movie, which was pretty masterful and kept you interested despite the poor dialogue and performances.

I give it solid 7.5/10 overall. It doesn't live up to the hype that metacritic, imdb, and RT have led onto. This movie is not at all worth of a 90, and maybe not even an 80. That said, it's been a pretty down year for movies, and reviewers are maybe a bit overly-anxious and reached a bit to peg down a movie they felt was really outstanding, and it's not all metacritics fault for the inflated score.

Go see it in theaters, IMAX 3-D if possible, because it won't have the same effect on your TV at home for all the reasons I described.
  56. Oct 24, 2013
    I think this movie is a masterpiece and the best use of 3D technology I have seen. Cuaron is an extraordinary director and film maker, I certainly hope he gets the Oscar for best film, I had not enjoyed a movie so much in a long time, I think it will be a landmark for generations. Go see it in 4DX.
  57. Nov 8, 2013
    This is a near-perfect cinematic experience when seen in 3D. It's hard to even imagine watching it as a rental, I'm almost certain the film would be compromised. The sound may be the best part. Astounding.
  58. Oct 12, 2013
    Probably the most scary and extraordinary movie I have ever seen. Beautiful and terrifying. Sandra Bullock was amazing, music was amazing, earth from the space was amazing simply amazing movie!
  59. Nov 5, 2013
    Gravity will surprise you with how well-shot and well-written Sci-fi movies can be. And Sandra Bullock did an surprisingly outstanding role. You won't regret this movie. Even Tarantino put this movie in his top ten of 2013
  60. Oct 12, 2013
    May be one of the best movies I have ever seen! intense you'll be gripping the edge of your seat, really nice 3D effects, definitely see it in 3D, sound effects too great, straight forward, to the point, no starting near the end then going three weeks earlier,no flash backs, they put you in the persons shoes, inside looking out, instead of seeing everything from a crystal ball,and no jumping back and forth between Earth and orbit. simplicity at its finest. I'll be paying attention for more movies from producers and directors and writers. I'm going to IMAX to see again Expand
  61. Oct 13, 2013
    I made a metacritic account just to comment on this movie. Gravity is the best movie I can remember seeing. The visuals are so stunning you must watch it in 3D and you will leave the theater with your mind blown. Go see it now.
  62. Oct 13, 2013
    its about life of astrounats in space....its full of thrill from begining till end...depicted really in a reality way....the movie is amazing realistic ...would definitely be an inspiration to one who desire to be astrounaut.....
  63. Oct 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Incredible visuals, disappointing story, and here it is: almost every attempt to get back to earth falls apart, with a dozen narrow escapes in between. To me, the moment when Oscar™ winning actress Sandra Bullock crawls ashore is when the story got really interesting and was when a good story might have begun. But then the movie ends a minute later. The filmmakers forgot to research some things that might have made the relationships more plausible between Oscar™ winning actor George Clooney and Oscar™ winning actress Sandra Bullock. Tragedy strikes in space, and to kill time and use up precious oxygen while floating around, Oscar™ winning actor George Clooney engages Oscar™ winning actress Sandra Bullock in a cheeky get-to-know-you conversation. Wouldn't they know some basic bio facts about each other after training together for a few years? I didn't hear much dialogue that would have seemed believable on land, let alone in space, where there are a few more protocols to follow. Oscar™ winning actress Sandra Bullock and Oscar™ winning actor George Clooney were cast pretty pointlessly here- neither Oscar™ winning actor was really suited to the roles, and Clooney's chatty charm seems out of place in space. There is so little character development and so little spark beween the two ONLY characters in the movie, that I could never snap out of the realization that I was watching Oscar™ winning actor George Clooney and Oscar™ winning actress Sandra Bullock. In the end, the movie was just like its setting, just a lot of empty space. But pretty. Expand
  64. Oct 14, 2013
    ...ok then.....still not sure what the fuss was all about...the effects overshadow all else goin on in this nonsense...last third of the movie i was rooting for the debris....have found that ms bullock over the course of many roles has developed a unique ability to simply be annoying.....if there are awards for that ...you go girl....
  65. Oct 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I had high hopes on this movie, i thought it would be more intense, the whole time, like in the beginning of the movie when she was spinning without control and later alone in the space, amazing. Awesome graphics, but after george clooney died its like a Friday the 13th for sandra bullock and the only way that she can realize how to get back to earth is to have a trip thinking like George Clooney's character. In despite of that it was really entertaining Expand
  66. Oct 15, 2013
    The cinematography of the movie was perfect. We can see the work they done. Appreciable!!! Beautiful with simplicity. Good movie with suspense and excitement.
  67. Oct 16, 2013
    Though extremely gripping throughout, the film's utterly jaw-dropping visual effects and direction can't save a film with such a thin story-line and couldn't-care-less characters. "Gravity" picks you up and never lets go, even if you don't sympathize with the characters (no fault of Clooney and Bullock, by the way). A visual feast, even if your heart remains hungry.
  68. Oct 16, 2013
    Loved the movie, but I'm amazed that NOBODY (not the critics or the public) noticed the obvious homage (or maybe parody) of the opening scene in "Barbarella" when Bullock enters the Soyuz station and peels her spacesuit. It's accurate down to the glove removal.
  69. Nov 1, 2013
    Gravity gör många rätt, framförallt inom det tekniska. I det visuella är Gravity det bästa vi kommer att se i år; Det är en fenomenal blandning av datorgenererat och praktiska effekter som kommer få dig att tvivla på månlandning. Blanda detta med en välpolerad ljudmix och du har det bästa i rymdfilm på 40 år.

Dessvärre fallerar Gravity ganska hårt pga dess innehåll. Man får aldrig en
    emotionell koppling till karaktärerna och känner därför inget när fara lurar runt hörnet. Jag fann mig själv bry mig mer om hur det skulle gå för dem i trailern, när de bara var namnlösa rymddräkter. Det spelar ingen roll hur excentrisk man gör en karaktär, eller hur sorglig dess bakgrundshistoria ska vara, när de ändå inte känns trovärdiga i slutändan.

Vad man inte verkar ha insett med Gravity inom berättandet är att i film behöver man inte förklara allt som karaktärerna går igenom, det räcker att bara visa, man kan låta det visuella tala för sig själv. Att ha Sandra Bullocks karaktär föra små monologer för sig själv när hon borde konservera syre kommer bara tvinga tittarna ut ur upplevelsen.

Med det sagt så tycker jag faktiskt att Gravity är något som bör ses på bio, om än bara för det tekniska. Det är en väldigt vacker och välgjord film och den kommer slå stort bland många. Släng däremot inte bort pengarna på 3D:n och försök att se den i en så liten biosalong som möjligt.

70. Oct 17, 2013
    I recommend everyone to watch this movie in 3D. This movie has 3D effects and interesting to watch it because it looks good to watch when it comes out in universe.
  71. Oct 18, 2013
    An amazing movie! I think this is the best space movie for this decade. Sandra Bullock plays her role nicely. And also the 3D effects was so amazing!!
  72. Oct 18, 2013
    You can live and feel the real emotions with Gravity. Sandra Bullock was in amazing role in this film, but at the end of the film I think we can see much more scenes after survive.. But still realistic, breathtaking story from space..
  73. Nov 14, 2013
    Implausible plot, implausible characters, weak symbolism. Boring, not tense. Earns a 5 for special effects. Essentially Cast Away in space with less coherent character development.
  74. Feb 24, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I’ll count myself flabbergasted if I see a better-looking movie than this in my life. The minimalist casting works very well in this movie’s favor and, speaking as a melancholic personality type, it’s personally nice to see Sandra Bullock play the protagonist as introverted and thinking.

Failing to heed Houston doesn’t pay for Dr. Stone. Oxygen runs low. Time runs short. Hiding in a deserted Russian spacecraft might well kill her …

Oh, wait, she makes it back down to Earth. But this is still a very moving character-survival story as it stands. I would give this greater than 10 if (A) Metacritic allowed it and (B) we saw some of Kowalski’s or Stone’s life experiences as they happened. Not that Bullock and Clooney’s voices aren’t interesting enough, but seriously, would it have pushed the budget that much more to show the background to how they got there?
  75. Oct 20, 2013
    Simply breathtaking, intense drama and amazing picture. Just loved the unexpected turn of events. I find the movie very unique and it is definitely a must-see!
  76. Oct 21, 2013
    It's been a couple days since I saw the film, so I think I've had enough time for it to sink in.

The special effects were undoubtedly the star of the film to the same extent as Avatar, so it's basically 90% of the film.

The story itself I found somewhat refreshing. And as far as general presentation goes, it's a great disaster flick, and I really appreciated that the creators slowed
    down the pace to give it an authentic sense of emptiness and loneliness.

The script was hit-or-miss. The supporting actors were great. George Clooney was his typecasted, endearing rogue. I really enjoyed the small roles of the Chinese radio speakers on Earth. However, I found that Bullock, through no fault of her own, had a terrible script. I found that her character spoke TOO MUCH, especially given the circumstances. The writers rely too much on her speaking to reveal her inner thoughts, and this was by far the biggest flaw in the movie, in my opinion. I also found her character in general bland, and the writers are much too heavy-handed in their theme of religious salvation. Had the writers gone another route in this regard, this movie might very well have received a 10 from me.

So, in conclusion, I'd say that this movie excels at being a good thriller, but it's too dumb and annoying to achieve its goal of being anything approaching a masterpiece.
  77. Oct 24, 2013
    Mind boggling visuals, with fantastic acting. Gravity delivers on a much bigger scale then people have it out to be. For a majority of the film your treated to the beauties and disasters space can convey. Something so beautiful and wonderful cannot be taken for granted.
  78. Oct 27, 2013
    By the end of the movie, I was hoping for the main character to fail. Repetitive movie also, if I did explain how that could possibly ruin it for you although if you seen this movie you know what I'm talking about. All the likable characters are everyone except for the protagonist of the movie (and guess who we follow for the whole movie). I would say also that it is 20 minutes to long but as some would say, oh that removes the art of this movie. YEAH WELL A CHARACTER THAT JUST ANGSTS FOR THE 2nd HALF OF THE MOVIE ISNT A FUN THING TO WATCH. Expand
  79. Oct 26, 2013
    The Movie was about 2 faces Face of space with its darkness beauty, isolation. Face of human portrayed by clooney and sandra unfortunately Sandra Botoxy face killed the passion and compassion in this movie layoff botox sandra and this comes from a fan not a fan of clooney and to feel he gave life to the movie shows how un impressed i was with acting. to validate my points imagine Susan Sarandon face in the movie and see what feelings you can get from her( this movie needed her eyes a human eyes that mirror the heart of struggling soul.

I am sci fi fan, and to make her hit the buttons randomly on the chines station was over the top.

i gave it 5 for space face only.
  80. Oct 27, 2013
    This film does a great job using CGI within the theme and plot. Sure, it has star power, and Sandra Bullock does a great job. Cloonie is Cloonie, it might have been good to see him stretch his acting chops a bit more. Sound design is great. My girl friend did not like it as it gave her a stomach ache by the end because she was so tense. I guess that means they did a good job as storytellers.
  81. Nov 4, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I was very excited to see this movie. I was pretty disappointed that the entire runtime consists of Sandra Bullock falling though space. Let me break it down for you.

Phase 1: Satellite she's working on gets blown up. She falls for a very long time until George catches her.
    Phase 2: They float toward their ship, which they know is blown up. After confirming their friend who they saw die is dead, they depart.
    Phase 3: They float toward another satellite. Shortly after arrival in blows up. Sandra escapes in a pod and begins floating toward yet another satellite.
    Phase 4: Sandra gets to said satellite and then floats to earth. THE END.

Nothing happened in this movie that made it stand out for me. The special effects are cool, but even those are few and far between that will really make you go, "Wow." I have no doubt this movie will continue receiving praise and will be Oscar material because it is very well made in the same way Lincoln was. It's a little sad that they didn't try to make it more interesting.

3/10 Would not bang.
  82. Oct 29, 2013
    Beautiful pictures, thrilling scenario, good actors performance but there is something missing...it is as if this was not true, in fact there is something not real in the movie, however I d not know what exactly.
  83. Oct 29, 2013
    I really enjoyed watching this movie. The actors are doing a fantastic job painting the emotions the characters are experiencing above the Earth surface. However, some scientific inaccuracies (such as no pressure making bodies explode when they take off their space masks, no gravity effect on their hair, tears should not be levitating but 'sticking' to the actors face, etc..) and a lack of a complex intrigue and story kind of ruins the movie.
    Still, it is very enjoyable and I would recommend you watch the movie on a big screen with a good audio.
  84. Oct 29, 2013
    I saw this movie after seeing the critics off the chart ratings. It would have been better if I had lower expectations. All in all it is worth a look for the visual effects so make sure to see it in 3D and realize the plot is generic but entertaining.
  85. Mar 27, 2014
    The movie accomplished with flying colours its story premise. As explained in the beginning THERE IS NOTHING TO CARRY SOUND, NO OXYGEN, AND NO AIR PRESSURE. That is what Gravity aims at and that is why Gravity is such an achievement. Great score where sound is virtually impossible. Great ride where there is no time to breathe. We are constantly kept at the edge of our seats. Great visual storytelling where dialogue is purposefully impossible. Beautiful Photography. One Woman Acting Show by Sandra Bullock. If you are an acting driven movie lover or a traditional screenplay geek, you will probably find gravity limited. However, if you see Gravity for what it is, you will too find kind words for the picture and reach this conclusion: a simple, down-to-earth (literally) space journey extraganza which reminds us of our short existence in this life and the reasons we need to cling onto if we want to keep living. The Survival and Rebirth themes in this Movie also apply to 3D Cinema. Cuaron has taken the cinematic experience a step further. 3D is back in business. Expand
  86. Nov 1, 2013
    Review for the film Gravity. I don't know if anyone else noticed but all objects in a set orbital radius move with the same velocity. So the satellite debris that came at them at 20 miles per second may well have crossed their path once but after that the debris would have moved to a higher altitude orbit due to its higher speed. The only exception would have been if the debris was moving at exactly the hubble's orbital altitude and speed, but from the opposite direction. In short the space debris would have hit them once but if it was in the same orbital path it must have had the same orbital speed and hence to Sandra and George it would have appeared stationary and moving with them.
    Otherwise I loved it, action packed and the remainder was pretty accurate.
  87. Nov 1, 2013
    A sensational, out of this world movie experience for any moviegoer. You feel as if you're isolated in space with the main characters if seen in Imax 3-D. I feel that 3d was initially created for this film and they cleverly and expertly utilized there 100 million dollar budget. Remarkable; the future of cinema as we know it.
  88. Nov 3, 2013
    Aside from some forced story elements and a big of a long-winded script at times, Gravity is just so much fun. It's first 15 minutes are pretty gosh darn close to perfect, within minutes you're in the sh*t. The music is really something too. This is one of the few movies that actually really actually benefits from 3D and IMAX, so see it that way. Great movie!
  89. Nov 1, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really have to add a voice of sanity here, this film is fatally flawed. Did any of the reviewers ever do basic physics at school or play on a swing ?

At the critical point of the film, George Cluney's character is hanging on a tether and being PULLED away in a sustained fashion this simply cannot happen if you are weightless. Similarly, when Sandra Bullock's character is hurtling to earth subject to the g forces of re-entry her helmet is floating about weightless, who are the technical advisers here, Micky and Minnie mouse? I could just about get over that, if it were not for the acting of George Cluney, so he is about to die, be cast off into space and commit suicide and he is as jolly as a lamb in springtime am I the only person who finds this a little incongruous. As for the graphics, well the earth would not be out of focus when you are in wide shot at infinity and it was. Sandra's acting would have been a lot more believable if being a pilot, she knew which way a hatch opened and did not get thrown nearly into space TWICE by opening the door the wrong way gasp. For all of that, there were still some good space ship graphics and a nearly belivable plot, if a little simple.
  90. Nov 2, 2013
    Positives: Indescribable is probably the only way to explain this movie. It's majestic and stunning cinematography, as well as harmonious rhythms from the score bring a level of immersion unlike any other. Simplicity is the story's strong point, with intelligible characters that grip you to the core, and a storyline that is straightforward, and fast paced. From start to finish this film will captivate and immerse you into an unmatched visual experience.

Negatives: Parts of the story are briefly or inadequately explained which could confuse the audience, especially since they will be distracted by the dazzling visuals.
  91. Nov 2, 2013
    Filme com efeitos especiais bons e um suspense do inicio ao fim e com historia otima, e com otimos atores escolhidos, e um bom tema escolhido e um bom filme produzido em 3D.
  92. Nov 2, 2013
    I think may be obvious to admit, although with a certain reserve, that Gravity is a great film, from many points of view.

This is a film that certainly does not leave indifferent, anyhow, a characterization excessively cold and linear of the (few) characters, a pace not always appropriate and a certain coldness in the overall execution lead me to exclude it from excellence.

Anyhow,
    the points in its favor are so many, that it is impossible and unfair to focus only on error.

If only for the courage shown by the director, producers and actors, in presenting a product so discordant from the "mass" usually sent to the public (especially in science fiction), this is a film that should be seen, understood and, rightly, appreciated.
  93. Nov 5, 2013
    Something is wrong here. How can 49 "official" critics can be positively unanimous about this movie ???
    Some of them calling this a masterpiece Come on. After the first stunning images and the opening scene, you can go home. All the rest is dull and pathetic.
  94. Nov 9, 2013
    Don't get me wrong, this is a pretty decent movie. It's definitely fun to watch in most circumstances, and it's accurate enough for an imersive, gripping experience.

But in the end, we're literally looking at a movie that's two hours of Sandra Bullock screaming in space. And it doesn't take Buzz Aldrin or Neil Degrasse Tyson to point out why that's not deserving of an Oscar.
  95. Nov 6, 2013
    Gravity is a mind blowing visual roller coaster. It is hard to give a movie just based on visuals a perfect score because all I came out of Gravity with was visuals. The story wasn't anything ground breaking or strong, it was just a movie about the beauty of space and it does a perfect job.
  96. Nov 5, 2013
    Best movie of the year so far,maybe the best movie in past 20 years.Together with 2001: A Space Odyssey is the best space movie ever made.A work of art of Alfonso Cuarón.Maybe the best movie I've ever seen.
  97. Dec 12, 2013
    The plot seems simple but that's what it made it special. Everything is very realistic(cinematography), the tension. Felt that the movie is a little bit draggy and might not need some parts!
  98. Nov 6, 2013
    I saw this movie with my family and didn't think it would have been this bad but let me tell you its 91 minutes of cgi. To start with the beginning when the movie was starting you just stare at the earth for a good 3 minutes which isn't a big deal IF YOU DIDN'T SHOW IT AS MUCH THE REST OF THE MOVIE! I mean it s in almost every frame. Then the debris hits and kills the man that I GUESS we're suppose to feel for because Oh! he's got a picture of his family. You can not throw a sentimental moment when you don't even show the persons back story! Then lets go with the rising action and such POINT A TO POINT B?! REALLY? Oscar worthy my ass. When you have a story that Does Not Show its just a point A To point B movie THAT'S A GOOD MOVIE. IT TAKES YOU ON AN ADVENTURE NOT DROLL FLOATING! Then the ending was the Worst ever. She doesn't even get home and you are to expect she does HOW?! shes in the lower hemisphere who the hell knows where she even is or if that shes alive!? 2 out of 10 Waste of my time. Expand
  99. Nov 6, 2013
    The visual effects were amazing. The audio was spectacular (especially with Dolby Atmos). The story line was pretty good, though not amazing. The movie flowed well, no sudden drop offs of excitement.

The movie wasn't perfect as far as being scientifically correct goes, but they did try to make it as realistic as possible.

Overall a great movie.
  100. ATR
    Nov 7, 2013
    It was good. They make it sound intense, but it is not. The CGI is nice and great to look at. Making a movie that I might give another go at or get it on Blu-ray.

1. Reviewed by: James Mottram
    Nov 3, 2013
    A stunning space saga that takes off for new technical frontiers without leaving its humanity behind.
  2. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Oct 6, 2013
    Gravity is not a film of ideas, like Kubrick's techno-mystical "2001," but it's an overwhelming physical experience -- a challenge to the senses that engages every kind of dread. [7 Oct. 2013, p.88]
  3. Reviewed by: Dana Stevens
    Oct 4, 2013
    This is not to say that Gravity is a masterpiece: Unlike Cuarón’s extraordinary "Children of Men", it doesn’t quite pull off its ambitious effort to combine formal inventiveness, heart-pounding action, and intimate human storytelling. But it succeeds thrillingly at the first two of those categories, and only misses the mark on the last because it tries a little too hard — which is certainly a welcome respite from the countless sci-fi thrillers that privilege the human story not at all.