Gravity

7.8

1. Oct 6, 2013
    'd have to disagree with the 10s. I admit it was fairly good but I'd say it was great on aesthetics, but mediocre on plot. It is very comparable to tom hanks Apollo 13, with the difference being that Apollo 13 had a more interesting plot line and many more interesting characters. I've always liked Bullock but honestly it is difficult to believe her and even more difficult to believe'd have to disagree with the 10s. I admit it was fairly good but I'd say it was great on aesthetics, but mediocre on plot. It is very comparable to tom hanks Apollo 13, with the difference being that Apollo 13 had a more interesting plot line and many more interesting characters. I've always liked Bullock but honestly it is difficult to believe her and even more difficult to believe Clooney as an astronaut. Yes I'm sure it was very expensive to shoot such realistic space scenes and they were very good but in the end I thought the story was somewhat forgettable. Expand
  2. Oct 17, 2013
    Saw this movie on IMAX in 3D. Maybe the most amazing visuals I've ever seen. The sense of actually being in space was breathtaking. If you've ever dreamed of being in orbit yourself, it's worth the price of admission. The story was a little thin, but it was still fast-paced and compelling until the last frame. So beautiful to look at I know I'll see it again while it's still in IMAX!
  3. Oct 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Repetitive.
    The reason why this movie has and 8 for the score is for two reasons: George Cloony, and the special effects.
    Why the movie is repetitive:
    FIrst 30 min: George Cloony gives a great performance, and then gives a cheesy goodbye speech to Sandra bullock, who is a very mediocre actor.
    Middle 30 min: Everything goes to sh*t and there is a loop of the same scene 3 times. It goes like this: Everything is going fine, then something goes wrong, and then the debris comes, and Sandra Bullock saves herself at the last second. This happens at least 3 times in the movie.
    Last 30 min: Sandra Bullock says woof woof to a chinese guy for 10 minutes, and then has a cliche' dream of George Cloony, which allows her to get out of her hopeless situation. Then the movie ends with the typical i-will-push-to-the-end ending, and she arrives on earth as the "only survivor'.
    So typical.
    Pros:
    George Cloony
    Special Effects
    Nice 3D
    Good Directing
    The chinese guy
    Cons:
    Repetitive
    Terrible writing
    Sandra Bullock
    Loops
    The whole movie is filler, this movie could have been half an hour. Its all stretched out.
    Sandra Bullock didnt die.
    A chinese guy that had 10 minutes of audio time gave a better performance than anyone on screen
    There are only two actors.
    Slow
    Pointless
    Spinning
    Heavy Breathing
    George Cloony gave a performance for maybe 20 minutes.
    The whole budget was spent on SFX, and they spent very little for the acting.
    A hollywood sellout movie. Very average and typical
  4. Mar 9, 2014
    Hype hype hype hype hype hype - let it die down a bit then I'll watch it - I thought. Idiot. Forgot the Oscars would dredge it all up again.
    Bit the bullet and sat and watched it. I am finding it hard to compliment this film, or rather which bit was the best of the worst. OK, the effects were OK - the over the top necessity to nudge and re nudge inane objects such as spanners or pipes, while in space, just so the effects guys can work on the inertia and movement to make it look, "natural", as if you wouldn't bat an eye but thought it so smooth it had to be real. OTT. Stop it, get on with making the film you idiots, but when you do can you stop making the 3D bits so bloody obvious. If I want to be blown away with 3D, I'll put my shoes on and go look at the real world, maybe actually interact with things, like you know, touching and smelling? However, when watching films, I do not wish to see a floating screw come spinning towards the camera, blurring out the rest of the frame - only for it to mean NOTHING and not even be in 3D (some of us people at the foot of the entertainment equipment ladder just cant afford, nor would like a 3D television thank you) so why waste my time and place 3D film sections in a 2D film. Lets face it, 99.999% of people who watch this film at home will be doing so on a normal TV!
    Emotionless acting, over the top effects for effects sake, absolutely ridiculous physics and other goofs (I read on IMDB after watching), finalised my views that this film did not deserve at least 2 of the 7 Oscars it won....
    Visual Effects, a couple of scenes where the Earth was reflected on the visor of Bullock, the image did not respond as it should when she rotated her head. Just stuck there when it should have twisted. Poor.
    Cinematography, With great power comes great responsibility. With great budgets comes over the top cinematic, long drawn out panorama's of small things progressively getting bigger as they smoothly glide towards the camera in a never ending slush of emotion and "beauty". YAWN. BOOOOORRRING! I could do better with a disposable stills camera.
  5. Oct 6, 2013
    This is an excellent movie. Let's get this out of the way first: This movie is all about character development. It's actually a character development movie, first and foremost. If you didn't catch that, you weren't paying attention. The effects were over-the-top amazing. I don't know how they filmed it, and I don't want to know. I felt like I was watching cinematic history in the senseThis is an excellent movie. Let's get this out of the way first: This movie is all about character development. It's actually a character development movie, first and foremost. If you didn't catch that, you weren't paying attention. The effects were over-the-top amazing. I don't know how they filmed it, and I don't want to know. I felt like I was watching cinematic history in the sense that this movie will probably be remembered for advancing special effects to a new level, the way 2001 A Space Odyssey did in 1968. Also, Sandra Bullock's acting was phenomenal. She really grows during the film.

I also enjoyed the 'homage' elements, i.e., subtle nods to great space thrillers of the past (notably 2001 and Alien).

About the 3D It was the best I've seen. But that's not saying much. Great 3D is still not that good. It was a fun and interesting effect at times, but mainly it was distracting. I was constantly aware I was watching a 3D movie. It kind of reminds me of what it was like when movies first started experimenting with surround sound. The first time you hear a car come up from behind you and sounds whirling around the theater, it's cool. But it wasn't until filmmakers figured out how to blend those effects in seamlessly that surround stopped being distracting and started really enhancing movies (as the sound effects do in Gravity). I can't wait until 3D is so good you don't even notice it.

I give it a 9 rather than a 10 because, while it's a very good movie, it didn't send me out of the theater just dying to talk about what I just saw, the way the really good movies do (like Prometheus). But I enjoyed the heck out of it. It's great movie fun. Go see it!
  6. Nov 11, 2013
    It's a pitty for such a beautiful movie to be undermined by the useless,tiring chatter The director did a great job with a realistic and beautiful directing- not to mention the cinematography and the actors- and someone for the production spoiled by imposing useless talk and sentimentality.
  7. Dec 27, 2013
    Astonished by the reviews this is garnering. No mention of the fact that it's sentimental bunkum almost totally lacking...gravitas. Would have been much improved if she'd looked up at the end to see two gorillas on horseback looking at her quizzically!
  8. Mar 22, 2014
    I really don't get it. What is the big deal with this movie?? Its probably one of the worst Ive seen ever. Its up there with Starship Troopers 2 & 3 for quality. A movie has to be more than visuals, and behind all the glam of the earth shots there is nothing, maybe the most flimsy plot ever. Neither my wife nor I could sit and watch it, but after seeing al these fantastic reviews I thoughtI really don't get it. What is the big deal with this movie?? Its probably one of the worst Ive seen ever. Its up there with Starship Troopers 2 & 3 for quality. A movie has to be more than visuals, and behind all the glam of the earth shots there is nothing, maybe the most flimsy plot ever. Neither my wife nor I could sit and watch it, but after seeing al these fantastic reviews I thought there has to be something here. Mid way through I'd decided to watch to the end just for the slimmest chance and hope of seeing Bullock be killed, but had to be content that the movie just ends.

I give it a 2 - 1 for some of the cool effects leading to the meteor strike and 1 for George Clooney who was mildly entertaining for his part.

Confused and bemused.
  9. Nov 11, 2013
    I don't know what is worst; that the the story is so cheesy or that the story is so predicatble. I felt no compassion for any of the characters nor did I find any of the movie to entertain me. The movie is an empty shell hidden in fantastic visuals and immersive 3D effects. The visuals and the effects made me enjoy the movie a little. However it is not something I will remember or anythingI don't know what is worst; that the the story is so cheesy or that the story is so predicatble. I felt no compassion for any of the characters nor did I find any of the movie to entertain me. The movie is an empty shell hidden in fantastic visuals and immersive 3D effects. The visuals and the effects made me enjoy the movie a little. However it is not something I will remember or anything I will ever suggest anyone to pay to see. Expand
  10. Oct 20, 2013
    This is not just a movie but an experience. Many homages are paid to those that came before. Even "Marooned" is winked at. I do not know why this film would even be released in 2D. The experienced is heightened by a feeling of floating and surviving along with SB and GC. Sometimes minimal dialogue is all that is necessary and this is one. The beauty and danger of space is so wellThis is not just a movie but an experience. Many homages are paid to those that came before. Even "Marooned" is winked at. I do not know why this film would even be released in 2D. The experienced is heightened by a feeling of floating and surviving along with SB and GC. Sometimes minimal dialogue is all that is necessary and this is one. The beauty and danger of space is so well portrayed that at times I was breathless as well. Brilliant. Expand
  11. Oct 13, 2013
    A technical masterpiece by director Cuaron, this will sure wins a lot of Oscar nominations for the technical side of things, namely the gorgeous cinematography and its dazzling special effects. But will they recognize that one thing that really sets this apart in the first place a story about the human spirit, against impossible odds, and how it can rise time and time again......If theA technical masterpiece by director Cuaron, this will sure wins a lot of Oscar nominations for the technical side of things, namely the gorgeous cinematography and its dazzling special effects. But will they recognize that one thing that really sets this apart in the first place a story about the human spirit, against impossible odds, and how it can rise time and time again......If the Academy does recognize this, then it's a shoo in for other nominations that include Best Picture, Best Actress and Best Director......One of the best film of 2013.... Expand
  12. Nov 6, 2013
    STUNNING! The visuals are mind blowing The movie feels kinda boring in between.. but all together the story is awesome a must watch you cannot experience this in your pc
  13. Oct 4, 2013
    When I entered the cinema, I didn't expect to see a triumph in cinematography. Gravity is hands down the best movie of this year; it is fascinating, majestic and thoroughly dreadful at the same time. The visual is years ahead from the flock as the screenplay are probably the smoothest use of continuous shots I've ever seen. Acting from the talented Sandra Bullock and George Clooney isWhen I entered the cinema, I didn't expect to see a triumph in cinematography. Gravity is hands down the best movie of this year; it is fascinating, majestic and thoroughly dreadful at the same time. The visual is years ahead from the flock as the screenplay are probably the smoothest use of continuous shots I've ever seen. Acting from the talented Sandra Bullock and George Clooney is incredibly beautiful, the simple concept of characters in dire predicament has been crafted so masterfully, it's nigh impossible not to be drawn into this highly inspiring tale.

The visual is undeniably breathtaking. It flows stunningly from scene to scene, the camera shows just the right angle while explosion of color in dark space erupts. The occasional switches to first person view looks very natural, emphasizing the intense solitude, almost in frightening yet utterly captivating way. Graphical effect is clearly one of the best, not only in movie but in all medium; it is gloriously magnificent to witness such stellar value. It takes its time to build up the suspense and it focuses comprehensibly on the extraordinary moments while giving the audience a chance to savor them entirely. I truly admire Alfonso Cuarón from his work in Children of Men, he's a visionary and now he's perfected his craft with excellent editing and screenplay.

Screenplay does a marvelous job of trailing the characters in the gripping struggle for survival. Credits goes to the short list of cast; George Clooney who is charmingly dependable and especially Sandra Bullock who deliver a chilling intimate performance that can freeze the entire theater. She's nothing less than remarkable, she seems a bit withdrawn at first but as she fights through the ordeal, she gradually opens up and ultimately exhibits strengths beyond despair. This is one of rare occasions where a movie almost exclusively relies on an individual's acting, and Sandra Bullock delivers, many times over, taking the audience along in her personal journey. A truly inspiring performance.

The music is harrowingly gripping, almost to the extent of merging with the sound effect. It gives enchanting suspense and even more emotionally engaging at most points. When the visual, music and acting combine together, it reaches a pinnacle of how passionately powerful a movie could be. Its simple yet brilliant concept of living can be universally acceptable to everyone; it speaks to viewers across age, gender or race.

There may come movies that stand above the rest, movies that can restore wonder upon watching them as if you are experience watching big screen for the first time, they may not come often, but Gravity is clearly one such movie. With such elegant visual choreograph and splendid acting, it's a near magical experience.
  14. Feb 21, 2014
    Great movie and one of the best space survival i have ever see. I think is the best movie Sandra bullock have done and was an excellent performance from her. Gz for this great film you have create guys!
  15. Oct 20, 2013
    Travel in India, but I will never miss any chance to experience a cinema-going activity in any exotic locale, not to mention it is Alfonso Cuarón’s GRAVITY, the sensationally topical follow-up to CHILDREN OF MEN (2006, 9/10), a firmly prospective Oscar-bait and is on its way to procure an unanimous triumph from both audiences and critics, domestically and internationally, a rare feat whichTravel in India, but I will never miss any chance to experience a cinema-going activity in any exotic locale, not to mention it is Alfonso Cuarón’s GRAVITY, the sensationally topical follow-up to CHILDREN OF MEN (2006, 9/10), a firmly prospective Oscar-bait and is on its way to procure an unanimous triumph from both audiences and critics, domestically and internationally, a rare feat which is hailed as the most innovative film in executing the ubiquitous 3D technology after AVATAR (2009, 9/10).

I was at a relatively large 3D screen hall, but if you can find a screen with IMAX plus 3D, which is the quintessential option. The film runs a succinct 96-minutes, at first I found myself a bit distracted by the murkiness of the screen with the clumsy 3D glasses double-glazing my myopic spectacles, one primary reason why I don’t enjoy 3D films on the whole, so as to I didn’t quite adjust myself to appreciate the opening scene, thankfully a belated captivation comes when the debris attacks, this survival tale begins to gnaw at its audience in a very good and exciting way.

Floating in the infinite emptiness, the extremity of terror and helplessness is oppressive and overwhelming, Sandra Bullock confidently and believably pilots us into a journey of wonders, we don’t know what’s the odds here for her to pull it off the miraculous landing on earth, it is her relentless mettle and stamina shock us, inspire us and strike a chord with us. Bullock’s hallmark of underplaying her character’s choppy emotion does a clean sweep to deliver a top-notch impact in spite of a comparatively thin script, it is a tour-de-force performance in her career and a hard-earned honor for an actress who can overcome the glass ceiling to lead a commercially prosperous Sci-Fi fare in her age (what’s more important, she is also a top-billing comedian presently). Clooney serves slickly as the experienced but not-too-lucky astronaut, most of the time he is hidden inside the space helmet and uniform, but generates a wake-up call on the nose when he displays his usual Clooney-esque mien, Cuarón does know what audiences want.

GRAVITY is a ground-breaker, a high-tech adventurer and seeker, and fingers crossed it will eventually give DP Emmanuel Lubezki his overdue golden statue after 5 nominations (divinely shot scenes include the trademark ever-rotating long takes, the resurrection emblem of a fetus inside the uterus, the final victory when she rises out of the sea as a giantess, etc.), maybe for Cuarón and his sterling production team as well (sound department, art production and visual stunt). It is a film beyond everyone’s imagination and it edifies you so much with so little to tell, like an essay, it is concise but cogent, and with a collateral effect to blow your mind.

PS: I am planning a rematch when the picture will arrive at the end of November in China, hopefully in an IMAX screen finally.
  16. Jan 14, 2014
    Another standard issue vapid hollywood action movie. They make astronauts out to be a bunch of no talent ass clowns who lose their **** in a crisis. And physics does not work that way. Come up with some more plausible plot twists that aren't completely deus ex machina.
  17. Feb 14, 2014
    Gravity is pure cinematic brilliance. Hugely ambiguous and flawlessly executed. Sandra Bullock carries the film beautifully in what is surely the performance of her career.
  18. Jan 20, 2014
    While the movie has some of the dialogues that are forgetable and its story is not Oscar-worthy, Gravity's cinematography and visual effects will take your breath away since Avatar and this movie will only be loved by people who appreciate its beauty.
  19. Nov 11, 2013
    This movie looks just amazing and I think you can say that, aside from animations like Avatar, Up, it's the best 3d film ever made. I'm sure if you dig into it you can find faults with it... like the people here who have given it a bad mark, but COME ON it's absolutely staggeringly well shot that is absolutely gorgeous and utterly compelling.
    Yes it's a very basic plot, yes it's
    Yes it's a very basic plot, yes it's ultimately limited by having to have a feelgood factor and some Hollywood crassness, and it stars Sandra Bullock who was a seriously odd choice bearing in mind she's about as engaging as a divorce, but overall, it's so much better than any other space movie sci fi, 'thriller' whatever out there because it feels real and looks and sounds absolutely wonderful.
  20. Nov 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I had purposely not gone to too much trouble to find what this film was about. Its obviously a space drama/disaster flick, that was enough to interest me and pay my admission fee.

I had hoped this film was going to be the closest experience to being in space itself. I was very let down. The film never gripped me, made me feel any empathy with the characters, never made me feel any sense of threat, dread, or consequence of what would happen to them.

This film looks (even in 3D) like actors playing people in space, not the immersive moviegoing experience i was hoping for. The whole thing was a miscast for me even before i sat down, that said, i still retained an open mind about the cast. The acting was about as wooden as it comes (for the record i think clooney is a great actor in the right part, Bullock, sorry ive yet to see her in anything remotely good) and the script is at times cringeworthy. For example Bullocks eenie, meenie, minie, moe button pressing when her life is at stake was pathetic.

The visuals could not save this heap of rubbish, although the destruction of the ISS was the only positive i could find in the film viewing wise.

In a nutshell, overhyped tat with no real purpose, meaning or substance.

Oh, one last thing, how convenient that when Bullock lands back on earth she is mere metres away from the nearest beach.
  21. Feb 26, 2014
    This was alot better than I thought it was going to be. I mean, what could happen in space that would keep me interested. Well, despite that there was quite a bit of suspense and impossiblities was more than enough to keep me interested. And although i am not a Sandra Bullock fan, she was atleast believable in her role, while Clooney was not outside his "normal" typecast.
  22. Oct 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Gravity delivers A++ visual appeal driven by what must be cutting edge CGI and cinematography. The art probably needs some new words to describe the techniques on display here. I have no regrets for having shelled out to see this on a big screen. It looks great.

But apart from all the spectacularism, sadly this is a mangy dog of a movie. Clooney is wasted in this miscast role. Why is he here? He seems bored by his own "acting", which is nothing but his usual "I am a playful scamp but I am also so wise" routine. George Cool is so cool he doesn't bat an eye or raise his voice a whit when it is time for his character to voluntarily (and conveniently) float off into the void. Plenty of other actors could have brought a needed edginess to the role.

The implausible story line is razor thin and the maudlin dialog has all the flair of box of rocks.

How lucky for us that Bullock's character could never stop talking to herself! What the filmmakers hoped would come off as be nervous chatter sounds like the clunky exposition that it is. Despite that, Bullock's over-earnest performance manages to rise to the level of barely decent, which is really something considering she had so little to work with.

Critiques of the conveniently flawed physics and flawed technology of space travel in Gravity are abundant, so let's not rehash all that. Except for my personal favorite!! Bullock's character gets to the Soyuz capsule and needs to go outside to cut the ropes. What does she find? A Russian spacesuit that is perfectly tailored for her body!! What are the odds of that???
  23. Jan 18, 2014
    Absolutely brilliantly filmed, like this was completely breathtaking. In 3D, it was even more engrossing. If I was rating this based on special effects alone, it'd be an easy 10. However, I'm not. The story left much to be desired and while insprirational and touching, it was not that amazing. Sandra Bullock left much to be desired in terms of acting, while George Clooney honestly stoleAbsolutely brilliantly filmed, like this was completely breathtaking. In 3D, it was even more engrossing. If I was rating this based on special effects alone, it'd be an easy 10. However, I'm not. The story left much to be desired and while insprirational and touching, it was not that amazing. Sandra Bullock left much to be desired in terms of acting, while George Clooney honestly stole the show completely for me. He was phenomenal in this film. Certainly worthy of the Oscars it could receive for direction and others, but leave the acting ones for some of the better performances of the year, in my opinion. Expand
  24. Oct 4, 2013
    It's really good, just not great. Obviously it is beautifully shot and directed; I can say I've been to space and now never have to actually go up there. Bullock is really great with her emotional bits and Clooney gives the film a unique balance. You HAVE to see it on the big screen, just go in with regular expectations. For every great scene in the film, there is a 5 minute transition toIt's really good, just not great. Obviously it is beautifully shot and directed; I can say I've been to space and now never have to actually go up there. Bullock is really great with her emotional bits and Clooney gives the film a unique balance. You HAVE to see it on the big screen, just go in with regular expectations. For every great scene in the film, there is a 5 minute transition to said scene. Expand
  25. Oct 12, 2013
    The only thing more unbelievable than the scope and quality of this film is how some people seem to be completely unaffected by it. Poetic. That's the word that I couldn't keep out of my brain throughout the duration of this film. Gravity accomplishes the enormous feat of capturing great terror, beauty, and emotion (often simultaneously) by using no more than a single shot or sound. IThe only thing more unbelievable than the scope and quality of this film is how some people seem to be completely unaffected by it. Poetic. That's the word that I couldn't keep out of my brain throughout the duration of this film. Gravity accomplishes the enormous feat of capturing great terror, beauty, and emotion (often simultaneously) by using no more than a single shot or sound. I found this to be such a profound and captivating experience that several times I caught myself tearing up, even when the scene was devoid of any particularly moving dialogue. What the cast and crew have achieved here is at the very least incredibly impressive, and for viewers like me, simply astonishing. It quickly became very clear that the people behind this film have such a deep admiration for life and the universe, and like all great artists, they not only saw what many others did not, but they knew exactly how to get you to see it too. 10/10 Expand
  26. Oct 9, 2013
    Gravity is like a roller-coaster ride once on your heart starts to accelerate faster and faster your blood starts to boil your skin starts to crawl your palms start to sweat over and over until the final moment when the ride ends and then after the rush of adrenaline all you wanna do is get back on enjoy the thrill again. Gravity is an amazing film its so beautiful and tense through outGravity is like a roller-coaster ride once on your heart starts to accelerate faster and faster your blood starts to boil your skin starts to crawl your palms start to sweat over and over until the final moment when the ride ends and then after the rush of adrenaline all you wanna do is get back on enjoy the thrill again. Gravity is an amazing film its so beautiful and tense through out the whole film i was stuck to the set my eyes wide open i felt as if i was been punched in the head repetitively over and over again as conflict and more conflict blasted on to the screen, Gravity is a masterpiece their was no dull moments the film just blew me away i was truly amazed. 10/10 would bang, ohh and also the acting was really good besides the main character who in my opinion seemed to be rather board with her acting, this is what it looked like to me anyway, overall it was more the fact that i felt as if i was in space and was truly being challenged to survive it was such a great atmosphere. Expand
  27. Oct 26, 2013
    this movie is so beautifully awesome, simple and touching... one of the best ever!
    Alfonso has given us the non ordinary suspense about an astronaut trying to survive and go back to earth...
    on the other hand, the visual is stunning, the acting is awesome and mostly, this movie is a WOW!
  28. Oct 13, 2013
    Unlike anything I have ever seen before. And yes, I have seen 2001 a Space Odyssey. Just to see something original in today's market is a treat in itself. This movie it like taking a vacation. That is a vacation from the usual cliches, the usual jokes, the usual plot twists you get in a typical Hollywood movie out today. It is 91 minutes so it is just the right length to tell its story andUnlike anything I have ever seen before. And yes, I have seen 2001 a Space Odyssey. Just to see something original in today's market is a treat in itself. This movie it like taking a vacation. That is a vacation from the usual cliches, the usual jokes, the usual plot twists you get in a typical Hollywood movie out today. It is 91 minutes so it is just the right length to tell its story and get you out before you get tired. I really think it was the perfect time any longer and you might of remembered you were watching a movie. People are going to get awards for this one. Expand
  29. Oct 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Uno sciame di detriti spaziali fa cascare come birilli tutti gli oggetti orbitanti che trova sul suo cammino. Il primo uno Shuttle, fuori dal quale il comandante Kowalski (Clooney) e l'ingegnere medico Stone (Bullock) stanno eseguendo delle riparazioni. Passata la buriana, i due si ritrovano a essere gli unici sopravvissuti e iniziano una corsa contro il tempo e i detriti per cercare di tornare sulla Terra: appoggiandosi prima a una stazione internazionale e poi a una cinese, solo lei riesce nell'impresa dopo che lui si sacrificato per regalarle una possibilità. Il nuovo film del messicano Cuarón un ‘survivor’ spaziale costruito con grande abilità visiva e con una scrittura solida che, specie nella prima parte, fa trattenere più di una volta il fiato. La fantascienza (abbastanza poco ‘fanta’, oltretutto) solo uno sfondo su cui dipingere ammalianti panorami spaziali e raccontare una storia di resistenza umana fino ai limiti e anche un po’ oltre, premiata alla fine da una sorta di nascita a nuova vita attraverso le difficoltà, con Stone che esce barcollando da un lago sconosciuto in una terra all'apparenza selvaggia (e si spera che qualcuno trovi il modo di localizzarla). Ma torniamo fra le stelle, dove pulsa il cuore del film. Le scene spaziali, meticolosamente costruite al computer prima di sovrapporvi i volti degli attori, sono di grande efficacia, tanto da giustificare per una volta e almeno in parte le tre dimensioni: sarebbero però sola decorazione come, tanto per fare un esempio recente, in ‘Upside down’ se la storia, seppur costruita su elementi minimi, non funzionasse a dovere tenendo vivo l'interesse dello spettatore ben aldilà delle immagini. A voler guardare il pelo nell'uovo, risulta più efficace la prima parte, dove interagiscono il logorroico Kowalski e la più riservata (oltre che inesperta) Stone, segnata da una tragedia familiare: quando il primo se ne vola via ad ammirare le stelle, rimane in scena la sola dottoressa che prima con la razionalità e l'addestramento, poi con la forza della disperazione affronta il caldo e il freddo, il russo e il cinese (intesi come lingue) per cercare di tornare a casa. Nei suoi panni, Sandra Bullock offre una prova davvero convincente, dove il ritratto di una donna che trova le energie necessarie nel superamento delle proprie fragilità più importante di pur notevoli esibizioni atletiche che farebbero invidia a Bruce Willis. Al suo fianco, Clooney a parte una breve scena, quasi solo una voce grazie alla quale l'attore gigioneggia un po’ sfruttando la parlantina kowalskiana chissà poi se il nome stato dato a caso o c’è qualche legame con l’omonimo di ‘Punto zero’ mentre dal controllo missione di Houston si fa sentire (poco) Ed Harris, che fu John Glenn in ‘Uomini veri’. Si tratta però di figure ai margini, quale più o quale meno, perché gli unici veri protagonisti del film restano Stone e la limpida visione dello spazio esterno, dove nessuno può sentirti urlare la mancanza di rumore nel vuoto rispettata ma si può vivere, e far vivere, un'avventura emozionante: in novanta minuti ‘Gravity’ non inventa nulla dal punto di vista narrativo (da quello visivo sì, ma, come già detto, non sarebbe abbastanza) ma sa raccontare, senza intoppi o altre sbavature che non siano qualche dialogo un po’ così, una vecchia e bella storia. Expand
  30. Jul 28, 2014
    Gravity will have you reaching for anything you can grab, so you don`t float into space. I went in thinking this movie would be boring, but the found a way to keep it interesting until the very end. Made me feel like I was there,and wishing to be back on Earth.It also has a good message about life in the middle of the chaos.
  31. Jan 29, 2014
    Gravity is one of those few films that attempt to portray the dynamics of outer space as best as it could be. At a running time of only an hour and a half, most of the film concerned the difficulty of the characters to move toward places they needed to be in order to survive. With no friction, the slightest push could set one off on a course taking them far from the home planet.

Sandra

Sandra Bullock delivers a strong performance as a newbie in the field, unaccustomed and uncomfortable with her environment, and she does well. Her every movement is clumsy and awkward. She feels sick, disorientated and panicked. The way she portrayed the character develop from this fearful bereaving person to the strong woman who finally faces reality and understands that while she has been dealt a cruel hand by fate on and off the earth, there's really nothing to do about it than just accept it and then fight for her life with every ounce of strength she has in her body.

George Clooney plays Matt, who is on his last mission. He is a jolly figure who engages in humorous and distracting monologues with Houston. But the strength of his character becomes apparent the moment the apocalypse of that world arrives at their doorstep.

The space-crafts shown are the International Space Station, Hubble Telescope and Chinese Tiangong. The majority of the action takes place around Hubble, where the characters are stationed. As always, the Russians mess up when they blow up a satellite of their own. The debris starts an accidental chain reaction which destroys every other spacecraft in its orbit, returning every ninety minutes to do more damage. The characters have to use this window to make their way without panicking as that consumes more oxygen. Alfonso Cuarón does well in weaving the entire environment in working to kill the characters.

The visual effects were the most believable that I've seen in a long time. The constant was the rim of the Earth, which was a welcoming sight in the wake of the chaos taking place. Tiny water droplets, explosions and debris from destroyed spacecraft were created with painstaking detail and enriched the picture. The effects did not overwhelm everything else and aided in the development of the story. The set design was exquisite, showing the interior of space-crafts, their controls, space suits, floating and drifting spacecraft.

There may be a few inaccuracies but they are quite forgiveable in contrast to the spectacle that Cuarón has created. The script was strong, so was the production design and visual effects. The direction managed to capture the sense of fear and confusion of the characters with some very poignant moments. The vast emptiness of space was constantly reminding everyone by its presence to its claim of being the main antagonist of the film.

Already being compared to 2001: A Space Odyssey, I can only concur that Gravity rivals that only in the departments of entertainment value, visual effects and its ability to affect mood using imagery and music. The former had a more interesting story while the plot of the latter was conceived to suit the demands of the effects, which isn't actually a bad thing but isn't enough to get the movie in the same league as the classics.

9.5
  32. Oct 4, 2013
    I half expected this movie to be crap simply because I assume movies with near perfect reviews 7 days prior to their release paid for that near perfect review. I will never forget this cinematic experience. It was kind of like watching Avatar for the first time. I am always anal about movie special effects and i'm usually the first to call them out when something is obvious CG. This movieI half expected this movie to be crap simply because I assume movies with near perfect reviews 7 days prior to their release paid for that near perfect review. I will never forget this cinematic experience. It was kind of like watching Avatar for the first time. I am always anal about movie special effects and i'm usually the first to call them out when something is obvious CG. This movie had me thinking, "HOW THE HECK DID THEY DO THAT!" I can only assume that they sent Sandra Bullock and George Clooney to outer space for the filming of this movie. The effects are excellent.

That said, the movie overall was good too, It wasn't all just the visuals. Without spoiling anything, i will say that the plot was great. Visuals excellent. Plot Great. It can get a little taxing since the vast majority of the movie takes place in outer space. I watched it in Imax 3D and after the movie, i had to remind myself that i was still on earth. I wish i could give the movie a 9.5. I'm not so free with my 10's. 10 is reserved for the best movie of my life.
  33. Jan 18, 2014
    GRAVITY!!!!! this was a brilliant film from start to finish. This film should be viewed in 3D but would also be the same in 2D the acting was great and the movie always kept you at the edge of your seat. overall was just an amazing film 9/10
  34. lox
    Dec 10, 2013
    Gravity is arguably the most critically acclaimed movie yet of 2013. Written and Directed by Alfonso Cuarón, Gravity is visually dazzling and powerfully acted. Sandra Bullock gives one of her best performances in years and George Clooney gives vitally adds to the quality of the film as the second main star. Now that being said I thought Gravity was really good, but not fantastic. ThoughGravity is arguably the most critically acclaimed movie yet of 2013. Written and Directed by Alfonso Cuarón, Gravity is visually dazzling and powerfully acted. Sandra Bullock gives one of her best performances in years and George Clooney gives vitally adds to the quality of the film as the second main star. Now that being said I thought Gravity was really good, but not fantastic. Though not groundbreaking or great, it has really good performances from Bullock and Clooney. It has a considerably slow start that picks up twenty minutes in, beautiful visuals and impeccable cinematography. One question however and that is why did the debris only become an obstacle whenever Ryan reached a station? Either way, I did like this film, but didn't find myself thoroughly falling in love with it. I can see why so many people have praised it though and given it five stars. Luckily I did land in the positive category. Gravity is a fun thrill ride that uses the dark, mysterious and beautifully eerie space setting to its advantage. It is without doubt one of the better films of 2013. Expand
  35. Oct 21, 2013
    Sandra and George terrific actors. Special Effects perfect. When the action actually came in it was impressive the story is good, but nothing really to pull you in I feel asleep 3 times. Boring characters.
    It's like Avatar when the action comes it's good, decent story, good actors (not acting), and amazing effects, but also like Avatar boring, predictable, and feels like it was written in a day. Why not a lot have been written in a day. I'd advice you to just look up the exciting stuff on YouTube, because the hype (unless you're the one to follow it) will let you down.
  36. Oct 22, 2013
    Expectable though great looking sci-fi movie. Gravity is well shot and the special fx are pretty faultless. It looks great but the storyline is just disastrous and almost insultingly predictable. The character development is just ludicrously poor. Clooney is just a guy who´s character is almost not there. He´s not affected by the accident and is just emotionless like a machine. He show´sExpectable though great looking sci-fi movie. Gravity is well shot and the special fx are pretty faultless. It looks great but the storyline is just disastrous and almost insultingly predictable. The character development is just ludicrously poor. Clooney is just a guy who´s character is almost not there. He´s not affected by the accident and is just emotionless like a machine. He show´s some compassion towards Bullocks character though it is of such low amount of value to the movie as the movie is of low amount of atmosphere.
    In the moment the movie started to get interesting and you could get at least a development and a little piece of compassion towards Bullock it kills not only the atmosphere of this scene but also disrupts any bond of connectivity to the movie and Bullock. The end of the movie is annoying and boring, you don´t have to watch the movie to know what´ll happen. If they would have concentrated more on the story and the character development it would been a great movie but now... it´s just another undeserved academy award nominee I may would be giving them one for the cgi fxs
  37. Oct 12, 2013
    This is a great film and one of the best films of 2013 ,if not THE best. It's not perfect, but it's a movie you cannot miss. First of all, the visuals are spectacular. The cinematography and art-style are beautiful, and the CGI and special effects boost the experience rather than hinder it. I highly recommend watching this film in 3D as it truly does improve the overall experience. TheThis is a great film and one of the best films of 2013 ,if not THE best. It's not perfect, but it's a movie you cannot miss. First of all, the visuals are spectacular. The cinematography and art-style are beautiful, and the CGI and special effects boost the experience rather than hinder it. I highly recommend watching this film in 3D as it truly does improve the overall experience. The acting is good, and the story while not perfect is simple and touching enough to work. Cuaron has crafted an extremely entertaining,visually stunning movie that you simply cannot miss.If your looking for a film to give you a reason to go to the movie theater this is it. Expand
  38. Oct 4, 2013
    Finally! A space movie that does not involve aliens, supernatural events, or even psychological events. It is just you and sandra bullock in space, experiencing events in space that could most definitely happen. It's gripping, intense, and most of all the soundtrack and sound effects are by far some of the best that I have ever heard. One thing though, don't take your children to go seeFinally! A space movie that does not involve aliens, supernatural events, or even psychological events. It is just you and sandra bullock in space, experiencing events in space that could most definitely happen. It's gripping, intense, and most of all the soundtrack and sound effects are by far some of the best that I have ever heard. One thing though, don't take your children to go see their movies. All of their dreams to be astronauts will be crushed by experiencing the true horrific nature of space and most of all....Gravity. Expand
  39. Oct 29, 2013
    Visuals outstanding, use of audio underwhelming. Storyline/character development could have been written on a 3x5 card. In a nutshell, life happens (good and bad), get up, move forward. The end. Not a fan. Sorry.
  40. Nov 7, 2013
    Apparently, none of the reviewers have never seen Space Cowboys. A movie made in 2000, Just as good, and it was only given a 73. The acting was better also.
  41. Dec 11, 2013
    Perfect. This was one of the best movies i have seen in my life. the movie had a great story, great plot, and amazing special effects. This movie is a good message for NASA to explain how to survive in space and how to now how it feels most importantly. This movie will take you on an epic journey and right now this has got to be a 10 out of 10. There is no other movie that can top this film.
  42. Nov 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. So I walked into this movie thinking this might actually be better than the trailer actually showed but it turns out that the movie was the trailer, but it had more. You are first introduced to one of the loudest noises I have ever heard in a movie. I swear it was so loud everyone in the theater had to cover their ears to save their eardrums from being blown out. This happens throughtout the whole movie it goes from quiet air into an uneccesarily loud sound and then back to silence and then repeats. Enough of the sound though let's talk about the movie. You first see a random extra astronaut and then you are introduced to sandra bullock's character dr. Ryan stone who in the past has lost a daughter at the age of 4 which is a sad story to me, but that isn't the point we are watching gravity. Basically the explorer gets hit and then the rest of the movie is sandra bullock breathing and crying for the last 50 minutes or so. Did I mention the excellent cameo of George Clooney? Well might as well consider it a cameo and call sandra bullock and the voice on earth the cast; a whopping cast of two people for a film. There was no great plot just bullock floating in space trying to get down to earth. There was zero character development meaning I could have cared less whether bullock survived or not. The movie was also one of the dullest if not the dullest movie I have ever seen it was so dull that me and my friend kept poking jokes at it and laughing our mouths off. Although I do give the film a thumbs up on George Clooney's cameo and good message about survival, it is still one of the worst movies I have ever seen absolutely horrendous. Overall 3/10 Expand
  43. Mar 13, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Great visuals,great direction,great musical score, BAD screenplay and average acting.At times Bullock's character really irritated me, and how can an astronaut who's only had 6 months of training be so calm and know so much about the workings of the shuttles? Really disappointed they didn't make a better effort to write a better story, visuals and music alone don't make a great movie. Expand
  44. Oct 20, 2013
    My God, it's full of stars. No wait, wrong movie, but yes, there are lots and lots of stars and you feel the infinity of space in Gravity.The ballet of astronauts floating and working against the amazing backdrop of Earth reminded me of "2001: A Space Oddity" but so much more real. Definitely a gripping movie; had me gripping my popcorn. It was a pleasure to feel for the people in theMy God, it's full of stars. No wait, wrong movie, but yes, there are lots and lots of stars and you feel the infinity of space in Gravity.The ballet of astronauts floating and working against the amazing backdrop of Earth reminded me of "2001: A Space Oddity" but so much more real. Definitely a gripping movie; had me gripping my popcorn. It was a pleasure to feel for the people in the movie, especially Dr. Ryan Stone, portrayed by Sandra Bullock. I can't say enough good about her but will say that she carries this movie all by herself. Worth seeing for the amazing cinematography and do see this in 3D. Expand
  45. Feb 6, 2014
    I very rarely watch movies at IMAX theaters. Between the hassle of finding compatible theaters, reserving seats, and covering the exorbitant ticket prices, often times the inconveniences of the IMAX experience simply outweigh any of its redeeming qualities. In fact, I only watched one film in IMAX this year. And I am so thankful that film was Alfonso Cuarón’s celestial drama Gravity.I very rarely watch movies at IMAX theaters. Between the hassle of finding compatible theaters, reserving seats, and covering the exorbitant ticket prices, often times the inconveniences of the IMAX experience simply outweigh any of its redeeming qualities. In fact, I only watched one film in IMAX this year. And I am so thankful that film was Alfonso Cuarón’s celestial drama Gravity.
    Let’s talk first about the visuals. Earth when viewed from high above the atmosphere, however spectacular, strategically appears like a dirty marble when compared to the glistening metals and soft whites that glow like diamonds against the pitch black space backdrop. Thus, in scenes where Sandra Bullock is drifting away from a wrecked satellite, her coruscating white suit set against the blackness of outer space masterfully emphasizes her isolation, eliciting powerful emotions of fear and solitude. The painstaking effort to render every detail of the satellites not only captures the beauty of the set, but also glorifies the devastation that ensues; tons of satellite debris ricocheting at the speed of a bullet reduce space stations to floating rubble in a manner so remarkably grand and cinematic, all we can do is sit petrified and look on with rapt eyes.
    These special effects are spellbinding but, as is true with all movies, they are useless without the right cinematography to give them depth and relevance. By combining drawn-out shots of slow zero-gravity movement with rapid vertiginous action shots reminiscent of falling in a dream, director of photography Emmanuel Lubezki (The Tree of Life, Children of Men) uses a myriad of perspectives to create an environment with a feel so multidimensional, it simply cannot be achieved with 3D glasses alone. This spaciousness does not invite us into outer space, but instead shoves us right into it. For ninety minutes, we’re truly alone in space, and it is heart stopping.
    I was shocked to discover the film only cost roughly $100 million to make (compare to $237 million Avatar). However, this may be due in large to the fact that it had only two actors (and a handful of voices). Sandra Bullock and George Clooney essentially carried the film’s entire weight. Although both gave wonderful performances, I have to tip my hat to Bullock. While Clooney’s performance evoked comfortable, Bullock’s Oscar-worthy performance evoked deep, genuine, distressful fear. Every expression was executed with emotive strength; every line was uttered with confident awareness. She truly was the star of the film (pun intended).
    The screenplay, written by Alfonso and his 30-year old son Jonas, approaches science fiction and suspense in an unorthodox fashion, much like 2001: A Space Odyssey did. Rife with symbolism and introspective dialogue, Cuarón’s screenplay manages to avoid such science-fiction pitfalls as clichéd vapid characterizations and contrived plot twists. Profound themes, such as the extended metaphor of rebirth, never compete for priority with more superficial themes, such as survival and solitude. For this reason, the film functions as a popcorn-munching blockbuster as well as a thinking and feeling piece of art better than any other blockbuster or art film this year. The way Cuarón handles both ends of the film spectrum with such apparent ease and perpetual attentiveness merits some serious laud (and maybe even an Oscar).
    In the end, Gravity proves to be an experience everyone will enjoy – science aficionados, visual effects buffs, art-house hunters – as long as it is watched in 3D (trust me, the extra seven dollars have never been so worth it).

FINAL SCORE: 100 (perfect)
  46. Oct 26, 2013
    If there was 20 out of 10, this would be my rating!
    Is it a good movie? I've seen it twice so far, I am planning to buy it, this is how good it is, I don't normally buy movies, this is a collector's item!!!
    Please see the movie it is well worth the money, pure art, pure genious
    Thank you Mr Alfonso Caurion! You have brightened up my life.
    God Bless you
  47. Oct 20, 2013
    This is the best movie of year so far. They mixed horror and sci-fi and they did it like a boss. Even though it does get a little boring at times, and Sandra's breathing can get on your nerves, it is an awesome movie. Go watch while it is still in cinemas!
  48. May 25, 2014
    "I wake up go to work and i just drive"

Gravity is by far the best movie of the year so far beating out both Before Midnight and Mud. I had Chills from start to finish the movie felt more like a ride and it left me on the edge of my set the whole time. Though the movie is only 90 minutes it feels more like a two hour movie the way it paces itself. Alfonso Cuarón has done some great
    "I wake up go to work and i just drive"

Alfonso Cuarón has done some great movies in the past with Children of Men and Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. This film is by far the best he has done everything from the Actors to the CGI was perfect. Watching this in IMAX format was definitely worth the hour drive in the rain and the $20 dollars for the ticket.

Sandra Bullock and George Clooney are amazing actors i love them both but Sandra Bullock was on another level in this film. Sure The Blind Side was a good movie but i think if she won Best Actress for that movie then then she should definitely win for Gravity it's a WAY WAY! better movie if she doesn't ill be pretty upset. George Clooney is an amazing actor and he proves it again in this with his performance. His dialog really hits you in the heart especially there at the end.

The CGI was on just amazing beating out everything i watched at the theaters this year it feels like you are there in space. The realism was on another level also beating out Europa Report which was another film that was high on realism. The moment when i seen the Airglow in the film i felt Bliss hit my body.

Overall i give it a Perfect 10 Truly an amazing film i knew this was going to AMAZING and i CAN'T WAIT for the blu-ray. I'm just in love with space and this movie was just another one i will add to my collection now onto the next great sci-fi Interstellar.
  49. Nov 15, 2013
    I was told that Gravity was boring in 2D so we saw it in 3D and it was boring....... and Stupid. George Cluney just played his part like a guy who thinks I'm beautiful so I don't need to act, so he cracks jokes while an exploding satellite destroys their spacecraft, 'looks like Facebook will be off the air haha'. When they make it to the ISS Bullock has to flip through the user manual toI was told that Gravity was boring in 2D so we saw it in 3D and it was boring....... and Stupid. George Cluney just played his part like a guy who thinks I'm beautiful so I don't need to act, so he cracks jokes while an exploding satellite destroys their spacecraft, 'looks like Facebook will be off the air haha'. When they make it to the ISS Bullock has to flip through the user manual to learn how to fly the thing, how ridiculous, really this movie is a joke, don't waste your money. Expand
  50. Oct 7, 2013
    As a spectacle this film is pretty much the definition. It's definitely spectacular, but I think it's appeal would disappear on the small screen or not in 3d. It's really pretty gimmicky.

The story is about as barebones as you can get while still being able to bill someone as the writer. The acting is alright, but I don't think they'd make anyone who is prone to panic attacks an astronaut. Nor probably the inventor of something. Anyway, most things in this film aren't really plausible in any sort of way.

I dunno, the fact that a major part of the story hinges on a momentary inconsistency in the laws of motion kinda bugs me a lot.

Either way, it's a pretty fun waste of 90 minutes, but if you see it, see it on the big screen or not at all.
  51. Oct 5, 2013
    Cuarón has already proven himself to be as supremely talented a cinematic stylist as Michael Bay, David Fincher and James Cameron but with "Gravity" he does his peers one better by using his visuals devices in service of telling his story as opposing to straining against it. By subtlety shifting from a third-person to a first-person perspective and filling the screen with verisimilitudicCuarón has already proven himself to be as supremely talented a cinematic stylist as Michael Bay, David Fincher and James Cameron but with "Gravity" he does his peers one better by using his visuals devices in service of telling his story as opposing to straining against it. By subtlety shifting from a third-person to a first-person perspective and filling the screen with verisimilitudic detail, Cuarón and his brilliant cinematographer Emmanuel Lubezki slowly take the viewer from uninvolved observer to active participant. With every frozen tear drop and fogged up helmet, Cuarón makes his world a real place to the extent that when a bunch of satellite debris came rushing at Stone, I wasn't worried about her being chopped in half, I was terrifying of shrapnel tearing into my own flesh. Mexican and proud! Expand
  52. Oct 7, 2013
    It was a nice, emotional take on a movie that portrays the will to survive at all cost! Earth views in the 3D IMAX viewing were amazing!!! However, I personally think the movie was mostly dull and predictable! If not for George Clooney's humor & high spirits, the movie would have been even duller with just whinings, groans and incoherent noises from Bullock! The emotional epicenter ofIt was a nice, emotional take on a movie that portrays the will to survive at all cost! Earth views in the 3D IMAX viewing were amazing!!! However, I personally think the movie was mostly dull and predictable! If not for George Clooney's humor & high spirits, the movie would have been even duller with just whinings, groans and incoherent noises from Bullock! The emotional epicenter of Sandra Bullock was exposed. It wasn't bad, but it was no Anna Hathaway in Les Misérables!!! Some scenes got me saying "wtf', but then some scenes also left me breathless and quiet! I would recommend not watching this at home. Its definitely a must see on IMAX 3D to enjoy the best parts of the movie, but if you were expecting the next best movie of the year, this isn't it!!! Finally, if you are a Bullock fan, then you definitely don't wanna miss some of the up-close sexy and genuine scenes the experienced actress has to offer! No nudity, so don't let your imagination go that far! Before viewing the movie, you should set your mindset to that of an Astronaut, wear your cool 3D IMAX glasses and make sure your don't fall asleep to miss the best parts!!! Enjoy! Expand
  53. Oct 8, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. An interesting movie... interesting, not awesome. The Idea behind the Movie is quite original, though simple. There is only 1 important Character (Dr. Stone) and Sandra Bullock is doing a good job. Still, the whole Movie seems kinda messed up. Not because of the Story, you dont even really have to pay attention to the Movie, because you'll usually know, what will happen next. And that's bad. But there's something else: Some Scenes just dont fit. For Example, when she enters the ISS, she's floating around in space doing almost nothing for a couple of Minutes... Smae thing when she's talking to that Chinese guy... these Scenes are calm and peaceful, while others are completely different (eg. when she escapes the ISS). The Movie is trying to be thrilling, but it doesnt really work, because the whole Movie is very predictable (well, except for that Dream Scene, where Kowalski returns). The Special Effects are good, that's for sure and George Clooney is just doing an awesome job, but the Movie cant make me feel with Dr. Stone, neither Kowalski. I always felt like i was watching an experimental Movie, and not a very good one in particular... Expand
  54. Mar 18, 2014
    Dreadful! The characters are Hollywood stock - the wise-cracking alpha male hero, the shrieking frightened woman, the dispensable minority etc etc. The attempts to develop the characters are so pitiful they make things worse (the dead daughter? What was that about?). And the dialogue is so cheesy you'd think it was made in the 1980s. The film does do a good job of conveying zero gravity,Dreadful! The characters are Hollywood stock - the wise-cracking alpha male hero, the shrieking frightened woman, the dispensable minority etc etc. The attempts to develop the characters are so pitiful they make things worse (the dead daughter? What was that about?). And the dialogue is so cheesy you'd think it was made in the 1980s. The film does do a good job of conveying zero gravity, and it's quite amusing when SB strips to her underwear for absolutely no apparent reason but those are the only good things about it apart from the fact it's nice and short (shorter still if you fast-forward the unnecessary escape-pod scenes).

I'd say if you thought Avatar was a great film and/or you've recently had part of your brain removed you will enjoy this. Nobody else should bother.
  55. Nov 8, 2013
    This is a near-perfect cinematic experience when seen in 3D. It's hard to even imagine watching it as a rental, I'm almost certain the film would be compromised. The sound may be the best part. Astounding.
  56. Oct 12, 2013
    Probably the most scary and extraordinary movie I have ever seen. Beautiful and terrifying. Sandra Bullock was amazing, music was amazing, earth from the space was amazing simply amazing movie!
  57. Oct 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Incredible visuals, disappointing story, and here it is: almost every attempt to get back to earth falls apart, with a dozen narrow escapes in between. To me, the moment when Oscar™ winning actress Sandra Bullock crawls ashore is when the story got really interesting and was when a good story might have begun. But then the movie ends a minute later. The filmmakers forgot to research some things that might have made the relationships more plausible between Oscar™ winning actor George Clooney and Oscar™ winning actress Sandra Bullock. Tragedy strikes in space, and to kill time and use up precious oxygen while floating around, Oscar™ winning actor George Clooney engages Oscar™ winning actress Sandra Bullock in a cheeky get-to-know-you conversation. Wouldn't they know some basic bio facts about each other after training together for a few years? I didn't hear much dialogue that would have seemed believable on land, let alone in space, where there are a few more protocols to follow. Oscar™ winning actress Sandra Bullock and Oscar™ winning actor George Clooney were cast pretty pointlessly here- neither Oscar™ winning actor was really suited to the roles, and Clooney's chatty charm seems out of place in space. There is so little character development and so little spark beween the two ONLY characters in the movie, that I could never snap out of the realization that I was watching Oscar™ winning actor George Clooney and Oscar™ winning actress Sandra Bullock. In the end, the movie was just like its setting, just a lot of empty space. But pretty. Expand
  58. Oct 14, 2013
    ...ok then.....still not sure what the fuss was all about...the effects overshadow all else goin on in this nonsense...last third of the movie i was rooting for the debris....have found that ms bullock over the course of many roles has developed a unique ability to simply be annoying.....if there are awards for that ...you go girl....
  59. Oct 16, 2013
    Though extremely gripping throughout, the film's utterly jaw-dropping visual effects and direction can't save a film with such a thin story-line and couldn't-care-less characters. "Gravity" picks you up and never lets go, even if you don't sympathize with the characters (no fault of Clooney and Bullock, by the way). A visual feast, even if your heart remains hungry.
  60. Nov 1, 2013
    Gravity gör många rätt, framförallt inom det tekniska. I det visuella är Gravity det bästa vi kommer att se i år; Det är en fenomenal blandning av datorgenererat och praktiska effekter som kommer få dig att tvivla på månlandning. Blanda detta med en välpolerad ljudmix och du har det bästa i rymdfilm på 40 år.

Dessvärre fallerar Gravity ganska hårt pga dess innehåll. Man får aldrig en

Dessvärre fallerar Gravity ganska hårt pga dess innehåll. Man får aldrig en emotionell koppling till karaktärerna och känner därför inget när fara lurar runt hörnet. Jag fann mig själv bry mig mer om hur det skulle gå för dem i trailern, när de bara var namnlösa rymddräkter. Det spelar ingen roll hur excentrisk man gör en karaktär, eller hur sorglig dess bakgrundshistoria ska vara, när de ändå inte känns trovärdiga i slutändan.

Vad man inte verkar ha insett med Gravity inom berättandet är att i film behöver man inte förklara allt som karaktärerna går igenom, det räcker att bara visa, man kan låta det visuella tala för sig själv. Att ha Sandra Bullocks karaktär föra små monologer för sig själv när hon borde konservera syre kommer bara tvinga tittarna ut ur upplevelsen.

Med det sagt så tycker jag faktiskt att Gravity är något som bör ses på bio, om än bara för det tekniska. Det är en väldigt vacker och välgjord film och den kommer slå stort bland många. Släng däremot inte bort pengarna på 3D:n och försök att se den i en så liten biosalong som möjligt.

61. Oct 17, 2013
    I recommend everyone to watch this movie in 3D. This movie has 3D effects and interesting to watch it because it looks good to watch when it comes out in universe.
  62. Oct 18, 2013
    An amazing movie! I think this is the best space movie for this decade. Sandra Bullock plays her role nicely. And also the 3D effects was so amazing!!
  63. Oct 18, 2013
    You can live and feel the real emotions with Gravity. Sandra Bullock was in amazing role in this film, but at the end of the film I think we can see much more scenes after survive.. But still realistic, breathtaking story from space..
  64. Oct 20, 2013
    Simply breathtaking, intense drama and amazing picture. Just loved the unexpected turn of events. I find the movie very unique and it is definitely a must-see!
  65. Oct 21, 2013
    It's been a couple days since I saw the film, so I think I've had enough time for it to sink in.

The special effects were undoubtedly the star of the film to the same extent as Avatar, so it's basically 90% of the film. The story itself I found somewhat refreshing. And as far as general presentation goes, it's a great disaster flick, and I really appreciated that the creators slowed

The story itself I found somewhat refreshing. And as far as general presentation goes, it's a great disaster flick, and I really appreciated that the creators slowed down the pace to give it an authentic sense of emptiness and loneliness.

The script was hit-or-miss. The supporting actors were great. George Clooney was his typecasted, endearing rogue. I really enjoyed the small roles of the Chinese radio speakers on Earth. However, I found that Bullock, through no fault of her own, had a terrible script. I found that her character spoke TOO MUCH, especially given the circumstances. The writers rely too much on her speaking to reveal her inner thoughts, and this was by far the biggest flaw in the movie, in my opinion. I also found her character in general bland, and the writers are much too heavy-handed in their theme of religious salvation. Had the writers gone another route in this regard, this movie might very well have received a 10 from me.

So, in conclusion, I'd say that this movie excels at being a good thriller, but it's too dumb and annoying to achieve its goal of being anything approaching a masterpiece.
  66. Oct 27, 2013
    By the end of the movie, I was hoping for the main character to fail. Repetitive movie also, if I did explain how that could possibly ruin it for you although if you seen this movie you know what I'm talking about. All the likable characters are everyone except for the protagonist of the movie (and guess who we follow for the whole movie). I would say also that it is 20 minutes to long butBy the end of the movie, I was hoping for the main character to fail. Repetitive movie also, if I did explain how that could possibly ruin it for you although if you seen this movie you know what I'm talking about. All the likable characters are everyone except for the protagonist of the movie (and guess who we follow for the whole movie). I would say also that it is 20 minutes to long but as some would say, oh that removes the art of this movie. YEAH WELL A CHARACTER THAT JUST ANGSTS FOR THE 2nd HALF OF THE MOVIE ISNT A FUN THING TO WATCH. Expand
  67. Oct 26, 2013
    The Movie was about 2 faces
    Face of space with its darkness beauty, isolation.
    Face of human portrayed by clooney and sandra unfortunately Sandra Botoxy face killed the passion and compassion in this movie layoff botox sandra and this comes from a fan not a fan of clooney and to feel he gave life to the movie shows how un impressed i was with acting. to validate my points imagine
    The Movie was about 2 faces
    Face of space with its darkness beauty, isolation.
    Face of human portrayed by clooney and sandra
    to validate my points imagine Susan Sarandon face in the movie and see what feelings you can get from her( this movie needed her eyes a human eyes that mirror the heart of struggling soul.

I am sci fi fan, and to make her hit the buttons randomly on the chines station was over the top.

i gave it 5 for space face only.
  68. Nov 4, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I was very excited to see this movie. I was pretty disappointed that the entire runtime consists of Sandra Bullock falling though space. Let me break it down for you.

Phase 1: Satellite she's working on gets blown up. She falls for a very long time until George catches her.
    Phase 2: They float toward their ship, which they know is blown up. After confirming their friend who they saw die is dead, they depart.
    Phase 3: They float toward another satellite. Shortly after arrival in blows up. Sandra escapes in a pod and begins floating toward yet another satellite.
    Phase 4: Sandra gets to said satellite and then floats to earth. THE END.

Nothing happened in this movie that made it stand out for me. The special effects are cool, but even those are few and far between that will really make you go, "Wow." I have no doubt this movie will continue receiving praise and will be Oscar material because it is very well made in the same way Lincoln was. It's a little sad that they didn't try to make it more interesting.

3/10 Would not bang.
  69. Oct 29, 2013
    Beautiful pictures, thrilling scenario, good actors performance but there is something missing...it is as if this was not true, in fact there is something not real in the movie, however I d not know what exactly.
  70. Oct 29, 2013
    I saw this movie after seeing the critics off the chart ratings. It would have been better if I had lower expectations. All in all it is worth a look for the visual effects so make sure to see it in 3D and realize the plot is generic but entertaining.
  71. Nov 1, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really have to add a voice of sanity here, this film is fatally flawed. Did any of the reviewers ever do basic physics at school or play on a swing ?

At the critical point of the film, George Cluney's character is hanging on a tether and being PULLED away in a sustained fashion this simply cannot happen if you are weightless. Similarly, when Sandra Bullock's character is hurtling to earth subject to the g forces of re-entry her helmet is floating about weightless, who are the technical advisers here, Micky and Minnie mouse? I could just about get over that, if it were not for the acting of George Cluney, so he is about to die, be cast off into space and commit suicide and he is as jolly as a lamb in springtime am I the only person who finds this a little incongruous. As for the graphics, well the earth would not be out of focus when you are in wide shot at infinity and it was. Sandra's acting would have been a lot more believable if being a pilot, she knew which way a hatch opened and did not get thrown nearly into space TWICE by opening the door the wrong way gasp. For all of that, there were still some good space ship graphics and a nearly belivable plot, if a little simple.
  72. Nov 5, 2013
    Something is wrong here. How can 49 "official" critics can be positively unanimous about this movie ???
    Some of them calling this a masterpiece Come on. After the first stunning images and the opening scene, you can go home. All the rest is dull and pathetic.
  73. Nov 9, 2013
    Don't get me wrong, this is a pretty decent movie. It's definitely fun to watch in most circumstances, and it's accurate enough for an imersive, gripping experience.

But in the end, we're literally looking at a movie that's two hours of Sandra Bullock screaming in space. And it doesn't take Buzz Aldrin or Neil Degrasse Tyson to point out why that's not deserving of an Oscar.
  74. Nov 6, 2013
    I saw this movie with my family and didn't think it would have been this bad but let me tell you its 91 minutes of cgi. To start with the beginning when the movie was starting you just stare at the earth for a good 3 minutes which isn't a big deal IF YOU DIDN'T SHOW IT AS MUCH THE REST OF THE MOVIE! I mean it s in almost every frame. Then the debris hits and kills the man that I GUESSI saw this movie with my family and didn't think it would have been this bad but let me tell you its 91 minutes of cgi. To start with the beginning when the movie was starting you just stare at the earth for a good 3 minutes which isn't a big deal IF YOU DIDN'T SHOW IT AS MUCH THE REST OF THE MOVIE! I mean it s in almost every frame. Then the debris hits and kills the man that I GUESS we're suppose to feel for because Oh! he's got a picture of his family. You can not throw a sentimental moment when you don't even show the persons back story! Then lets go with the rising action and such POINT A TO POINT B?! REALLY? Oscar worthy my ass. When you have a story that Does Not Show its just a point A To point B movie THAT'S A GOOD MOVIE. IT TAKES YOU ON AN ADVENTURE NOT DROLL FLOATING! Then the ending was the Worst ever. She doesn't even get home and you are to expect she does HOW?! shes in the lower hemisphere who the hell knows where she even is or if that shes alive!? 2 out of 10 Waste of my time. Expand
  75. Nov 6, 2013
    The visual effects were amazing. The audio was spectacular (especially with Dolby Atmos). The story line was pretty good, though not amazing. The movie flowed well, no sudden drop offs of excitement.

The movie wasn't perfect as far as being scientifically correct goes, but they did try to make it as realistic as possible.

Overall a great movie.
  76. Nov 7, 2013
    This movie blew my mind away. Everything about it is perfect: the cinematography, the actors, the story, the music, and the environment. "Gravity" is the movie I have been waiting for all year long. I especially love the symbolism in this movie, like at the end where Sandra Bullock goes through this sort of re-evolution. Even if the physics and science in "Gravity" is inaccurate, it isThis movie blew my mind away. Everything about it is perfect: the cinematography, the actors, the story, the music, and the environment. "Gravity" is the movie I have been waiting for all year long. I especially love the symbolism in this movie, like at the end where Sandra Bullock goes through this sort of re-evolution. Even if the physics and science in "Gravity" is inaccurate, it is still an amazing movie. Expand
  77. Nov 8, 2013
    Actually, the first time I went to the cinema for this film, I ran late and had to go and watch "Blue is the warmest color" instead. I was so disappointed at first, but in the end I am so glad I watched it, it was great. And now so disappointed by the vastly expected Gravity.
    Visually amazing, a 10/10 for the creation of this camera ballet in this zero gravity environment.
    BUT the script
    BUT the script is an 8/10 at most, and that only if you connect to the main characters emotionally, which didn't happen at all and leads to...
    a 5/10 for the acting performance and character building. Especially Bullock.
    I can't really say that I was moved with her stereotyped way of acting instead of being the character. And the so literal approach to her strong but deeply flawed character was as much obviously constructed and two-dimensional as that space dance was made visually plausible and real. So unsubtle. I can only dream what that movie could have been with a great actress like Cate Blanchet or Julianne Moore.
    Not to mention the flaws in the building of the actions chain that really causes overall disbelief. Bullock is key to the success or not of this film as a whole, and that didn't clicked well in the end.

So, in short, a visual 10/10, a script reduced to 7/10 because of the thin characters and improbability, a 5/10 for the acting performance makes an overall of 7/10.
    Too bad, it was greatly promising. Still a good film, nonetheless, but not a masterpiece.
  78. Feb 14, 2014
    The Goods:----------------
    Special effects, best implementation of 3D since Avatar, simple plot yet extremely engrossing, makes you feel like you are in space, great performance by Sandra Bullocks
    The Bads:--------------------- Too short ( 1Hr 20Min), the over obnoxious Goerge Clooney got a bit irritating with his lame space jokes even after such catastrophe occurred, the fact that
    The Goods:----------------

The Bads:---------------------
    Too short ( 1Hr 20Min), the over obnoxious Goerge Clooney got a bit irritating with his lame space jokes even after such catastrophe occurred, the fact that Sandra Bullock simply COULD NOT die ,lol, her actions were starting to get unbelievable and "bollywood" level towards the end......She has friggin 9000 lives ... As you can see, all my "Bads" are nitpicking....
    And those people talking about 1950s feminism of a female astronaut not being able to handle things like a man, pssfftttt Sandra's character is a doctor who got trained for 6 monthsONLY by NASA for this mission. If YOU WERE TRAINED FOR 6 YEARS U WOULD CRAP UR PANTS IF U WERE IN SANDRA's POSITION!
    Sorry for Caps, i got sick of the negative reviews out here...
    All in all, an awesome movie and my favorite for 2013
  79. Nov 9, 2013
    No doubt this movie is stunning but I think that the ploy was lacking you already know what was going to happen. There was barely any action and the moments of suspense weren't exciting Its a kind of movie i'd watch on Netflix or TV
  80. Nov 10, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie was not worth the effort to watch. There was virtually no character development, very weak and almost non existent plot line, which in the end became incredibly predictable. The movie essentially came down to a cliche plot device, a female character with a pain riddled past who miraculously survives against all odds, and the laws of nature/science.

(SPOILERS) I want to make a particular note to the infuriating ending. Not only does she make a decision no one in their right mind would make (taking off her helmet in a burning cabin); she somehow manages to escape said cabin whilst its being filled with water. THEN, she still has enough oxygen left in her breath to swim out, take off the suit and beat the water pressure, all on a single breath. This is but one of the many irritating scenes of the film.

The only reason I gave this a 1/10 was just because of the spectacular visuals and the good use of cinematography, and surprisingly, one of the few films which actually made good use of the 3D projector technology, but this is not enough to justify what I can only assume a very high budget film.

DO NOT GO AND WATCH, ITS A WASTE OF MONEY!
  81. Dec 10, 2013
    The movie was alright, but the events are totally unbelievable. It had lots of intensity at first, then it got tedious. Cliche after cliche, unbelievable scene one after another, and a complete lack of a plot with substance. I can't grow attached to Sandra Bullock or George Clooney pretending to be astronauts, that's beyond my ability to suspend disbelief for movie viewing pleasure. IThe movie was alright, but the events are totally unbelievable. It had lots of intensity at first, then it got tedious. Cliche after cliche, unbelievable scene one after another, and a complete lack of a plot with substance. I can't grow attached to Sandra Bullock or George Clooney pretending to be astronauts, that's beyond my ability to suspend disbelief for movie viewing pleasure. I won't spoil the movie, because there's nothing to spoil, the trailer sums up the entire 90 minutes of your life that you just wasted watching it. Nice special effects, but I play video games if that's all I'm looking for. I wanted a movie, and I was disappointed when I left the theatre. Expand
  82. Nov 11, 2013
    Great special affects but technically LOL. It breaks one law of physics per minute (sometimes more than one per minute). It also breaks about every rule of spacecraft operations. Worth seeing for the special affects, but it isn't how things really are in space.
  83. Nov 15, 2013
    Melhor filme do ano até agora, talvez o melhor filme dos últimos 20 anos.Junto com 2001: A Space Odyssey o melhor filme de espaço já feito.A obra de arte de Alfonso Cuarón.Talvez o melhor filme que eu já vi.
  84. Nov 15, 2013
    Mejor película del año hasta ahora, tal vez la mejor película de los últimos 20 anos.Junto con 2001: Una odisea del espacio es el mejor espacio película ya en Listo obra Alfonso Cuarón.Talvez la mejor película que he visto en mi vida.
  85. Nov 16, 2013
    This movie is extremmmmmely boring.....and the story is not nice at all.....it is just a short story being stretch to a length of 91min....Really boring. Furthermore, this movie contains much more educational content than a fictional story content....BUT WHAT I WANNA WATCH IS A NICE MOVIE BUT NOT AN EDUCATIONAL FILM!!!
  86. Dec 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Omg, this movie would have been great if it didn't involve just two actors and an extra that was in the movie for less than 5 minutes in beginning... Expand
  87. Nov 19, 2013
    It looked great and the script was awful and I could have done without the say hello to my daughter in heaven nonsense which dominated the second half of the movie.
  88. Nov 30, 2013
    Not a great movie but not that bad. How can you not enjoy staring at Sandra Bullock? The story was actually a little weak and I never wondered if she was going to make it back alive. I saw it in 3 D and that made it a little better, but I would actually recommend waiting for it to come out in Red Box. I wouldn't miss but recommend the cheap seats!
  89. Dec 2, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is my first ever movie review but I felt obliged to balance out what I can only be describe as a severe blow to my faith in my fellow species.

Visuals & Sound:

The special effects are excellent and at their best during the spattering of "action" scenes (i.e. where debris is flying around).

The first twenty or so minutes of the film are in this reviewer's opinion the only part worth watching hence why it earned it's score. After the second wave of debris there is very little else of note in terms of visuals.

In regards to sound there was nothing particularly noteworthy either way.

Plot and Acting:

The plot is banal at best. Everything about the setting, the evolution of the characters and the circumstances they face comes across as contrived.

Let us be sports and start from the premise that we'll pretend Sandra Bullocks' character (who I have no desire to remember the name of) is actually qualified to be out on a space walk. She portrays the most irritating, incompetent and pathetic woman I have ever seen in a film. It was cringe-worthy to watch. After about 30 minutes of the film, finally having had enough of listening to her hyperventilating, I honestly wished she would just snuff it.

Regrettably George Clooney's far more entertaining character dies off around this time and I believe I might have awarded this film at least twice the present score had I gone on to watch him fighting to survive for the next hour.

Instead I watched Sandra's idiotic character fail utterly to struggle for survival yet somehow miraculously make it back to a beach on Earth somewhere by the end of it.

This film made me feel angry and rather embarrassed by its portrayal of the female lead. I don't think it is a question of bad acting but due to the script being very poor and as a result having to be over acted to try to create tension.

Conclusion:

I am baffled by the good reviews. Aside from two or three spectacular SFX shots and a similar number of chuckle worthy Clooney lines, there is nothing to recommend about this film.
  90. Dec 11, 2013
    Astonishing film The best so far in 2013 .The film explains for what the cinema is created a brilliant direction, cinematography, visual and sound effects. It takes as to space for 90 minutes and when back on earth, we can feel the real Gravity!
  91. Dec 16, 2013
    It was almost an amazing film and I almost believed Sandra Bullock wasn't Sandra Bullock but I have never gone from being so engrossed in a movie to so uninterested and it's all because of their crappy physics.

We are asked to suspend belief beyond belief. They set up the rules for the physics by overemphasizing it in the beginning and then we have to swallow that the rules don't apply later on in the film in order to accept the new plot turn. I couldn't do it.
  92. Dec 23, 2013
    For me it went beyond suspense and straight into frustration and a lot of growling at Bullock.Yes, it's a movie, but you can't help but wonder how the hell someone as clueless as the protagonist even made it out of the atmosphere. Beautiful visuals and lovely execution of zero-gravity, but quite frankly I hated the protagonist so much it distracted me from just about everything else.
  93. Jan 6, 2014
    Yes the 3D is impressive because we, the viewer, are unaware of the detailed view of the international space station but after that we are watching a very mediocre film. What's the George Clooney character all about?
  94. Jan 9, 2014
    Cool effects, but did bad science. Also, why is someone who works in a hospital (who happens to be a woefully incompetent astronaut) playing with electronics on Hubble?
  95. Jan 12, 2014
    I almost fell asleep half way through this movie out of boredom. This film feels like this: imagine there is a trashcan on top of the hill. A woman jumps in it and starts rolling down the hill. Trash fal out of the can and she falls out of it too. A bit later she catches the trashcan and jumps in it again and starts rolling down the hill again. And then the hole thing repeats.... But don'tI almost fell asleep half way through this movie out of boredom. This film feels like this: imagine there is a trashcan on top of the hill. A woman jumps in it and starts rolling down the hill. Trash fal out of the can and she falls out of it too. A bit later she catches the trashcan and jumps in it again and starts rolling down the hill again. And then the hole thing repeats.... But don't worry, they have a simple trick to wake you up. A cougar will pop up in her underwear just in the right time to keep you awake or from moving away from the movie....if you like cougars, of course. You can watch much more interesting IMAX movie about Earth seen from space, no need to watch cougar jumping from can to can in her underwear. Expand
  96. Jan 16, 2014
    The first 20 minutes of this film are amazing - visually stunning. After that its a one dimensional narrative in a 3D format : how will they get from A to B? There's no story, nothing interesting in the characters. The single bit of drama turns out to be a really stupid 'dream' sequence which is a kop out. And an easy ending. I don't know how this film has achieved any nominations.
  97. Jan 17, 2014
    Dr. Ryan Stone is a brilliant medical engineer on her first shuttle mission, with veteran astronaut Matt Kowalsky. But on a seemingly routine spacewalk, disaster strikes. The shuttle is destroyed, leaving Stone and Kowalsky completely alone - tethered to nothing but each other and spiraling out into the blackness. The deafening silence tells them they have lost any link to Earth...and anyDr. Ryan Stone is a brilliant medical engineer on her first shuttle mission, with veteran astronaut Matt Kowalsky. But on a seemingly routine spacewalk, disaster strikes. The shuttle is destroyed, leaving Stone and Kowalsky completely alone - tethered to nothing but each other and spiraling out into the blackness. The deafening silence tells them they have lost any link to Earth...and any chance for rescue. As fear turns to panic, every gulp of air eats away at what little oxygen is left. But the only way home may be to go further out into the terrifying expanse of space.
    Release date: October 4, 2013 (USA)
    Director: Alfonso Cuarón
    Running time: 91 minutes
    MPAA rating: PG-13
    Budget: 100 million USD
    EXHIBE FLIX (www.exhibeflix.com)
  98. Feb 16, 2014
    Immediately from seeing the trailer, I wanted to see this movie so badly. My first impression and repeatedly seeing the trailer made me so anxious to see it, and finally I did and it was ABSOLUTELY AMAZING. There are some totally tragic parts that I won't spoil, but the whole time it's thrilling watching Dr. Ryan Stone (played by Sandra Bullock) try to escape the space debris and you can'tImmediately from seeing the trailer, I wanted to see this movie so badly. My first impression and repeatedly seeing the trailer made me so anxious to see it, and finally I did and it was ABSOLUTELY AMAZING. There are some totally tragic parts that I won't spoil, but the whole time it's thrilling watching Dr. Ryan Stone (played by Sandra Bullock) try to escape the space debris and you can't help but root for her. George Clooney's character brings lightness to an otherwise dark and terrifying situation. Also, Sandra Bullock plays Dr. Stone so well that you cringe when she cringes, and can see every aspect of her predicament from how she would be seeing it, which is so great. So overall, Gravity gets a 10 because it was such a gripping, smart movie. Expand
  99. Jan 24, 2014
    ''Nerve Racking.'' Delivers maximum fright. Believe me, Gravity is unlike you've ever seen. Full of Thrills and spectacle. Sandra Bullock gives a jaw-dropping performance, The Best performance of her career. What will you do, if you have left up there, 400 miles above the earth, with completely silence and without gravity? You won't see anything like Gravity, and you will never see''Nerve Racking.'' Delivers maximum fright. Believe me, Gravity is unlike you've ever seen. Full of Thrills and spectacle. Sandra Bullock gives a jaw-dropping performance, The Best performance of her career. What will you do, if you have left up there, 400 miles above the earth, with completely silence and without gravity? You won't see anything like Gravity, and you will never see again.Gravity shows what special effects could do. Surely, the best use of special effects in the history of filmmaking. Gravity is a horrifying experience none of us could have imagined. Expand
  100. Jan 24, 2014
    Stunningly executed. I forgive it for minor errors because it is a movie, after all. Sandra Bullock convinced me particularly as Dr Ryan Stone and her performance was amazing. The visuals were brilliant, my favorites about it were the long panned shots.

1. Reviewed by: James Mottram
    Nov 3, 2013
    A stunning space saga that takes off for new technical frontiers without leaving its humanity behind.
  2. The New Yorker
    Reviewed by: David Denby
    Oct 6, 2013
    Gravity is not a film of ideas, like Kubrick's techno-mystical "2001," but it's an overwhelming physical experience -- a challenge to the senses that engages every kind of dread. [7 Oct. 2013, p.88]
  3. Reviewed by: Dana Stevens
    Oct 4, 2013
    This is not to say that Gravity is a masterpiece: Unlike Cuarón’s extraordinary "Children of Men", it doesn’t quite pull off its ambitious effort to combine formal inventiveness, heart-pounding action, and intimate human storytelling. But it succeeds thrillingly at the first two of those categories, and only misses the mark on the last because it tries a little too hard — which is certainly a welcome respite from the countless sci-fi thrillers that privilege the human story not at all.