7.8

1. Dec 30, 2013
    Film of the year. Now that you've read that go see the film NOW!! Continue reading this review once you have seen it. This film gets everything right. Acting, directing, screenplay, camera( first person views! effects, production design, 3D that's good!) and music. It's an inspiring sci fi thriller that not only redifines the genre, but cinema itself. Just like Avatar did, and just like Alien did. This is revolutionary. Expand
  2. Dec 30, 2013
    İzlediğim en iyi gerilim filmlerinden bir tanesiydi. Özellikle uzaydaki o meteor parçaların uzay istasyonuna çarpınca kalbim yerinden çıkacak gibi oluyordu...
  3. Dec 28, 2013
    This si a great film that has several stars but Sandra Bullock takes the cake. This has much futurism with great reality, the filming is great, an the 3D effect is subtle yet adds much to the enjoyment of the film. Being tossed out is space left to see what will happen is a fear in some way shape or form we all have. The digital filming if right on top. This will be nominated for several awards. See it, sit back, and enjoy it. Expand
  4. Dec 28, 2013
    When I was watching it I thought it is going to be a movie about the beautiful pictures and stuff. Didn't expect a great storyline, intresting characters. But I was WRONG! This movie wasn't just beautiful and stunning, but I was sooo excited through the whole movie. The only problem with it was Sandras breathtaking, it was really loud, but seemed realistic.
  5. Dec 28, 2013
    Alfonso Cuaron (aided by the masterful cameraman Emmanuel Lubezki and an astonishing, Oscar-worthy performance by Sandra Bullock) have creating a stunning, genre-defining work that ranks as one of the year's best.
  6. Dec 27, 2013
    Astonished by the reviews this is garnering. No mention of the fact that it's sentimental bunkum almost totally lacking...gravitas. Would have been much improved if she'd looked up at the end to see two gorillas on horseback looking at her quizzically!
  7. Dec 26, 2013
    This movie is a joke. It had amazing visuals that took some 7 years to do (they had to wait for the technology to be created). It had a script that was written in 30 minutes, while the writer was drunk and high. It had acting that was great at first, but got repetitive and annoying. Worst of all, there's no arc, there's no story; it's just the same 5-minute loop over and over again. If you've seen the trailer, you've seen the whole movie. Expand
  8. Dec 26, 2013
    Gravity is stunningly good-looking. The obscure cinematography not only makes for an unusual viewing experience, but an engaging and physical one at that. Alfonso Cuarón has cleverly manipulated our viewing experience to mirror the weightlessness and tension of life in space the film left me disorientated and breathless. For a very short film, it's a surprisingly tiring yet rewarding watch. Sandra Bullock is very good, once again disproving the assumptions surrounding her, and although the plot is thin on the grounds, with a fairly painful ending, the film holds together spectacularly. It looks good, sounds amazing and feels exciting this is a very multi-dimensional film. Expand
  9. Dec 26, 2013
    Space is a terrifying place, as put in the opening title card, no one is capable of surviving in space, one push, one touch and you're lost forever, trapped in the endless void of nothingness, losing oxygen, losing self, losing all capabilities of normal life. Gravity is the reminder of the dangers of space, the terrifying, eerie silent atmosphere of spaces emptiness. Alfonso Cuarón has made the film of the year, not because of the visual splendor, not because of Bullock's sensitive, brilliant performance, or even because of his absolutely perfect direction, no, it's because it reaches out and crafts a tale that would've been pointless and turns it into a tale of self discovery, fate, and terror. Gravity is a film that reminds us: Space is terrifying. Expand
  10. Dec 24, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Training an astronaut takes a whole lot of time and money. They are trained to deal with all sorts of calamities. How Sandra Bullock even made it through the first day of astronaut school is a mystery. She is in constant panic mode, which really gets utterly annoying after 10 minutes. The movie starts with a botched attempt by the Russians (of course) to shoot down one of their own satellites. Since when is that the way to retire a satellite Every time anybody retires a satellite, it is all over the news. Because it is crashed into the ocean. It is never ever shot down, that is not even technically possible. What is George Clooney doing in this movie Nobody knows, he just...dies, in a pathetic attempt to create heroism. The dialogue is awful all the way. Why is the ISS completely abandoned Why is she sitting there in that pod in her underwear She really is not a looker, she is almost 50, and I swear I could see the cellulitis on her legs. In all, given the utter flatness of her character, who cares if she makes it or not ?
    I simply do not see how this movie can get such a high rating.
  11. Dec 23, 2013
    For me it went beyond suspense and straight into frustration and a lot of growling at Bullock.Yes, it's a movie, but you can't help but wonder how the hell someone as clueless as the protagonist even made it out of the atmosphere. Beautiful visuals and lovely execution of zero-gravity, but quite frankly I hated the protagonist so much it distracted me from just about everything else.
  12. Dec 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The first thing of the movie attracts me is the view of life in a very different perspective. Countless (science fiction) movies contain space situation, but the bravery on it and uniqueness of the movie surpasses them all I think. Little bit slow, but not boring at all, detailed every moment thrilled me up, and its importance is taken care about. But I think the most importantly people will love the movie because of its inner view of dream, love and incredible power of life. Expand
  13. Dec 21, 2013
    Another demonstration of good ideas for film also depart from the Latin minds and give an example to follow Alfonso Cuaron and Guillermo del Toro (director of Pacific Rim).
    If you do not see it in 3D at the cinema does not make sense then, is special for 3D thanks to its special effects shots in the first person and the image that you feel in space and they bring more pressure.
    The
    performances are stunning, especially Sandra Bullok glaring at the end of the movie and the great comic touch of George Clooney. These two actions make me forget that obtained Bullok in ALL ABOUT STEVE and Clooney in Batman and Robin.
    Evil but because of at least are the first 5 minutes of the movie that are boring.
    As I said earlier Alfonso Cuaron applaud and hope that this will mark a before and after in the Hollywood cinema.
  14. Dec 20, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. There are only two reasons why this movie didn't get full ratings.

1. I got head spins through out the movie because they really did an awesome job of making you feel that you were in space. No gravity. Condensed and claustrophobic rooms. I never experienced this before! Might be better in 3D?
    2. I am never a fan of the only option of survival being the intense inner strength of a man. I like 'real' movies and most of the time we are very afraid of dying and dealing with being alone. I would like to see that option of crying out to God once and a while in a movie.

Otherwise, this movie had me on the edge of my seat. I can't believe how a movie with only two actors could have such depth and intensity! And one actors goes away on a 'floating' journey only ten minutes in. So 1 actress. The whole movie. She does an amazing job.
  15. Dec 18, 2013
    It seems like such a straightforward story, yet the combination of the special effects, acting, pithy dialogue, and plot made it a truely spectacular film! My only complaint is that the ending (and parts of the plot) are completely unbelievable. But, that's why you go to a movie I suppose!
  16. Dec 16, 2013
    Cuarón has made what I thought was impossible. Gravity has become one of my best movies of all time. This was by far the best of Sandra bullocks career! Sheer brilliance!
  17. Dec 16, 2013
    It was almost an amazing film and I almost believed Sandra Bullock wasn't Sandra Bullock but I have never gone from being so engrossed in a movie to so uninterested and it's all because of their crappy physics.

We are asked to suspend belief beyond belief. They set up the rules for the physics by overemphasizing it in the beginning and then we have to swallow that the rules don't apply
    later on in the film in order to accept the new plot turn. I couldn't do it. Expand
  18. Dec 16, 2013
    A short survival story on a level that I never seen before, definitely worth watching. The visuals are stunning, everything else is solid. A few scenes have their laws of physics bent, once or twice quite grossly which takes the toll out of the movie. Also the satellite debris cloud is nonsense but we can dismiss that.

Plot 7
    Simple and short, and that is the goal, some impossible
    scenes damage the movie.
    SPOILER(Debris cloud, wouldn't work like that... but it does a good job of providing tension to the movie. When Clooney detach's himself, first they would bounce back into the station, even if for some reason they wouldn't, they are clearly stopped but it seems like he is falling for some ridiculous reason, then when he detachs himself, he starts floating away, really...? When Bullock jumps into the Chinese space station, the whole thing is impossible on so many levels, but let's imagine it isn't, she just makes guess work and all goes right...)

Acting 7
    Clooney is a flawless 10 but Bullock does not convince me, It seems that the goal is making the viewer immerse into her character and It didn't work for me.

Cinematography 10
    Special Effects 10
    When you mix perfect cinematography with highly detailed special effects, Gravity is what happens.

Just make sure you are ready for some unbelievable scenes and enjoy the ride, you won't regret watching this movie.
  19. Dec 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Omg, this movie would have been great if it didn't involve just two actors and an extra that was in the movie for less than 5 minutes in beginning... Expand
  20. Dec 15, 2013
    Gravity is for me, the best film i have ever seen. It is so intense, so emotional, so breathtaking, and so beautiful. I don't know in what world Sandra Bullock dosen't win Best Actress. all the haters
  21. Dec 14, 2013
    I thought that even though the scientific inconsistencies were numerous, the over-all experience was worthwhile. I liked the ambient soundtrack and the sense of dread I felt when she was going through all of the mayhem; I felt like it was greatly executed.
  22. Dec 14, 2013
    Awesome film, with great performances from Sandra Bullock and George Clooney, both likely Oscar contenders. Amazing Directing from Alfonso Cuaron with his best film yet. The visuals and 3D effects of the film are some of the best I have ever seen. This is a film that actually uses the 3D to its advantage. Many of the equipment used on this film had to invented for it and this film has laid the groundwork for a new generation of films. If you ever wanted to be an astronaut this is your chance to see what its really like or if you want to show your friends and relatives what its really like if you are an astronaut this is the film that will do that. This is film has to seen by everyone, be you film lover or passing admirer. This is what makes it one of the best films this year and one of the best ever. This is truly a film for the ages. Expand
  23. Dec 14, 2013
    as de sjors was blijvn levn haddekik viele mier puntn heheven. T es deure metakritik da mine moat deine kutfilm wou gn zien. Echt gnen aanrader. Tenzij ge ne nolifer bent
  24. Dec 13, 2013
    You'll have to suspend many levels of disbelief for this one, but if you can do that, this is one of the most technically proficient movies ever made. You will feel like you are floating around in space, you will feel claustrophobic, you will feel panic. What you will not feel is much of a connection to either of the characters, and you won't feel a connection between them either. "So where do you call home?" Clooney asks Bullock at one point. Oh wait. I have to suspend disbelief again because any astronauts sent up together are going to know just about everything there is to know about each other. They will have trained for months together, attended parties, and so forth, but just suspend disbelief. Satellite chain reaction bullet storms. Suspend, suspend! As someone else posted, this isn't going to be shown in any high school physics classes. But the story is equal parts Apollo 13 and Open Water, and it's thrilling. I'm not on board with the raving critics, this isn't a '10', but it's a solid '8' all the way for pure fun. Check your brains at the door, grab a snack, and enjoy the ride. Expand
  25. Dec 13, 2013
    While the visuals and special effects of this film were stunning, and probably the best I've ever seen before, what ultimately keeps it from being a masterpiece is the disappointingly thin plot. The first half of the film was very strong, combining beautiful visuals and a lovely minimalist score with pitch perfect tension to create a very authentic sense of both awe and terror. It's the second half of the film where the flaws become very apparent, both in the believability of the events of the plot and the scientific accuracy this film makes a genuine effort to convey. Also, while Sandra Bullocks performance was strong, choosing such big-name actors to play these two characters was an error in casting. This may sound unfair, but having two big names playing the main roles in such a dramatic and otherwise very immersive experience simply took away from the believability and authenticity of the characters, which was very distracting. Additionally, the plot began to wear very thin when it started relying on some very classic Hollywood tropes, which was surprising since the film was otherwise very well-crafted. However, I reiterate: the visuals were stunning, making the film easily worth the admission price. Expand
  26. Dec 13, 2013
    Hands down the best movie of 2013. Gravity is a creative and gripping survival film in space, featuring excellent cinematography, intense emotion, scenes that will leave you on the edge of your seat, and well-acting that should get noticed. People, if there's one movie that should sweep the Golden Globes and the Academy Awards, it's Gravity.
  27. Dec 13, 2013
    First off, I usually hate 'action' movies. Gravity isn't an action movie, but more of a drama... a human story with lots of intense action laced in. The movie is beautiful and the actors are great! I can definitely see cinematography and directing Oscar nods. Bullock also may have an outside chance at a nod. Great movie.
  28. Dec 13, 2013
    I have never really been a fan of 3D, but I would have to say that this film is Simply EPIC in 3D, the stunning Filming and the brilliant special effects add to a flawless film.
  29. Dec 12, 2013
    This movie is utter BS. Waste of time, money, and poor actors. If you want a cheap lobotomy, watch this movie. If you had basic physics in school, avoid this movie, as it will do your head in! I now know why the name of the film is called gravity, it's because they screw around with it, all the freaking time!!
  30. Dec 12, 2013
    One of the most overrated, boring, stupid films I have seen in a long long time. The only redeeming thing was the special effects. Everything else was ridiculous, stupid and boring. I actually wanted to walk out half way though, couldn't care less whether or not she survived at the end.
  31. Dec 12, 2013
    There was a timewhen space sci-fi was ruled by star trek and star wars but when Gravity got to the screens it opened a whole new world of sci-fi thriller with mind blowing visual effects, great script, superb acting both in lead and supporing characters role Bullock and Clooney gave there performance of the year this is a movie that will shock you and keep your feet on the ground and wont let go that's a guaranty Expand
  32. Dec 12, 2013
    The plot seems simple but that's what it made it special. Everything is very realistic(cinematography), the tension. Felt that the movie is a little bit draggy and might not need some parts!
  33. Dec 11, 2013
    This movie is PERFECT for science fans as it contains many real facts and solutions. Highly thrilling and awesomely detailed. There could not be better actors than this.
  34. Dec 11, 2013
    Perfect. This was one of the best movies i have seen in my life. the movie had a great story, great plot, and amazing special effects. This movie is a good message for NASA to explain how to survive in space and how to now how it feels most importantly. This movie will take you on an epic journey and right now this has got to be a 10 out of 10. There is no other movie that can top this film.
  35. Dec 11, 2013
    Astonishing film The best so far in 2013 .The film explains for what the cinema is created a brilliant direction, cinematography, visual and sound effects. It takes as to space for 90 minutes and when back on earth, we can feel the real Gravity!
  36. lox
    Dec 10, 2013
    Gravity is arguably the most critically acclaimed movie yet of 2013. Written and Directed by Alfonso Cuarón, Gravity is visually dazzling and powerfully acted. Sandra Bullock gives one of her best performances in years and George Clooney gives vitally adds to the quality of the film as the second main star. Now that being said I thought Gravity was really good, but not fantastic. Though not groundbreaking or great, it has really good performances from Bullock and Clooney. It has a considerably slow start that picks up twenty minutes in, beautiful visuals and impeccable cinematography. One question however and that is why did the debris only become an obstacle whenever Ryan reached a station? Either way, I did like this film, but didn't find myself thoroughly falling in love with it. I can see why so many people have praised it though and given it five stars. Luckily I did land in the positive category. Gravity is a fun thrill ride that uses the dark, mysterious and beautifully eerie space setting to its advantage. It is without doubt one of the better films of 2013. Expand
  37. Dec 10, 2013
    The movie was alright, but the events are totally unbelievable. It had lots of intensity at first, then it got tedious. Cliche after cliche, unbelievable scene one after another, and a complete lack of a plot with substance. I can't grow attached to Sandra Bullock or George Clooney pretending to be astronauts, that's beyond my ability to suspend disbelief for movie viewing pleasure. I won't spoil the movie, because there's nothing to spoil, the trailer sums up the entire 90 minutes of your life that you just wasted watching it. Nice special effects, but I play video games if that's all I'm looking for. I wanted a movie, and I was disappointed when I left the theatre. Expand
  38. Dec 9, 2013
    Very unimpressed. Terrible acting with a super mediocre story makes for a terrible movie. Beautiful CG can not save this movie from awful actors and terrible story. Movie was so bad that I started falling asleep at around 40 minutes in. Would not recommend watching to anyone.
  39. Dec 3, 2013
    What a load of rubbish! This movie, which is seriously just two people floating around in space, is being hailed as "revolutionary" and "ground breaking" and "like nothing you've ever seen before." What!? We've all seen Apollo 13, haven't we? Only that had an interesting story, and characters who didn't just scream and act embarrassing the whole time. The special effects weren't even that impressive. And yet no doubt it will win best visual effects at the Oscars, as well as about twelve thousand other awards because delusional critics have brainwashed themselves into thinking this is a "masterpiece." Expand
  40. Dec 3, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Beautiful _and_ gripping that is a winning combination for me! Not even the glaring problems with physics could spoil it (and anyway my biggest problem is with just one episode, with magic phantom forces pulling Clooney away).

Definitely recommend to anyone who hasn't seen it yet.
  41. Dec 3, 2013
    How could I possibly like this movie???
    Piece of crap. Nothing more than a lady jumping around in space looking for space station and successfully landed on Earth... but exciting and thrilling.
  42. Dec 2, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is my first ever movie review but I felt obliged to balance out what I can only be describe as a severe blow to my faith in my fellow species.

Visuals & Sound:

The special effects are excellent and at their best during the spattering of "action" scenes (i.e. where debris is flying around).

The first twenty or so minutes of the film are in this reviewer's opinion the only part worth watching hence why it earned it's score. After the second wave of debris there is very little else of note in terms of visuals.

In regards to sound there was nothing particularly noteworthy either way.

Plot and Acting:

The plot is banal at best. Everything about the setting, the evolution of the characters and the circumstances they face comes across as contrived.

Let us be sports and start from the premise that we'll pretend Sandra Bullocks' character (who I have no desire to remember the name of) is actually qualified to be out on a space walk. She portrays the most irritating, incompetent and pathetic woman I have ever seen in a film. It was cringe-worthy to watch. After about 30 minutes of the film, finally having had enough of listening to her hyperventilating, I honestly wished she would just snuff it.

Regrettably George Clooney's far more entertaining character dies off around this time and I believe I might have awarded this film at least twice the present score had I gone on to watch him fighting to survive for the next hour.

Instead I watched Sandra's idiotic character fail utterly to struggle for survival yet somehow miraculously make it back to a beach on Earth somewhere by the end of it.

This film made me feel angry and rather embarrassed by its portrayal of the female lead. I don't think it is a question of bad acting but due to the script being very poor and as a result having to be over acted to try to create tension.

Conclusion:

I am baffled by the good reviews. Aside from two or three spectacular SFX shots and a similar number of chuckle worthy Clooney lines, there is nothing to recommend about this film.
  43. Dec 2, 2013
    This is an amazing movie with some of the best visual effects I have ever seen. It for sure deserves the best visual effects Oscar this year and maybe even best picture. Great acting and movie all around.
  44. Nov 30, 2013
    Not a great movie but not that bad. How can you not enjoy staring at Sandra Bullock? The story was actually a little weak and I never wondered if she was going to make it back alive. I saw it in 3 D and that made it a little better, but I would actually recommend waiting for it to come out in Red Box. I wouldn't miss but recommend the cheap seats!
  45. Nov 30, 2013
    I'm sorry to say that overall this movie was a great disappointment with no real charm apart the residual left over from George Clooney's performance. A generic and implausible set of events wrapped up in amazing visuals, sound familiar?
  46. Nov 30, 2013
    It's a neat package of a movie but it never achieves any sustained emotion. The back story of Bullock's loss seems strained, implanted into the movie to add drama to a story with plenty of heft already. I just didn't connect with it all that strongly and found it forgettable. IMO, we are still waiting for Cuaron's masterpiece.
  47. Nov 29, 2013
    I went to see this movie with a group of friends, and my original thought was that it was going to be bad. But when I got there and saw it in 3D, my afterwards reaction was that it was amazing. It had perfect graphics and a great acting scale. It also kept you isolated from Earth the entire movie, which made it more intense. The music was a bit loud, but I thought it was fine for a movie of that scale. Expand
  48. Ndi
    Nov 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. What a turd. TUUUUURD.

Stupid physics, plenty mistakes, personal drama that was completely unnecessary, long, drawn out, awkward pauses where they had to fill with monologues,

How does this movie even rated anything with critics? Has nobody any integrity left? I understand I get to look at Sandra Bullok's ass, but seriously, she's 49. Work out or not, 49. And for that cash, SFX was wavy at best, they had not one physicist on site (feels like he quit midway through) that could tell them that people aren't dolls and if you bow out a hatch while holding it and it thows you off, it also breaks your arm, rips the suit, and damages the airlock. Hence they cycle thing.

While she is "feeling better" about having air, the poor bastard outside was suffocating. I know they couldn't afford Clooney but come on.

Every time she gets undressed, she throws away clothes like she's in her bathroom. Keep the f*** suit, idiot, you're in space and it has AIR. You never know when you need air.

The ISS catches fire, she ignores it (while splashing water inside because what the hell, it's not like they need EVERY panel), then she fails to put out the fire because she doesn't understand reaction, then the ISS blows up and she says "I hate space". B*tch, at the time the movie happens the ISS is the single greatest achievement of the human race and you are supposed to be a scientist and you, YOU f*cked it up. YOU missed the fire, YOU couldn't operate an extinguisher, YOU killed the ISS. At this point, I'm hoping she makes it, I want her hanged.

Anyone with 6 months training can operate a NASA vehicle, fix Hubble, fly ISS's Soyuz, execute procedures in Russian, launch escape pods in Chinese because all you need is a bit of mashing of buttons I don't know why they keep that long training thing. Any half-stupid, is-sick-in-space, suicidal-tendencies 50 year old female can operate any and all space stuff, because space stuff is the same.

Station blows up, there is a billion pieces of shrapnel, 50 hit the camera, 20 hit my eyes in 3D, 140 shred the pods, NONE touch Soyuz, her, or any other important stuff.

She has been attacked by debris twice, fire once, lack of air once, tethered by chute once, and threatened several times, she never hurries. NEVER. To keep that zero-G feel, no button is ever pressed fast, no screw done soon, even when she sees the cloud of stuff coming at her, she steps out of the pod and the camera does a lazy 360. Sure, 90 seconds to impact, take the view.

I could go on for ages, this is a stupid, stupid movie, with a stupid premise, bad re-entry angles, and bad writing.

BAD WRITING.

What was that c*ap about her dead daughter? Did that pan out? No. Just another detail to make me feel sorry for her. Well it didn't work. By the time she touched down, I was hoping she drowned, and so did half the theater. She almost drowned in a space suit. Do you know how hard that is?

I hate critics. Pounding action? No pounding action. Total of 5 minutes of action. Have you forgotten 15 minutes of pulling Ryan through space? Tell me about yourself, Ryan, we don't have budget for more than this. Intimate human storytelling? My daughter is dead, my dog died, I'm depressed. Boo hoo, such a deep human connection we have now. It's not like it's artificially planted, like the faceless guy with picture of family. Or the scattered pictures of families on every single dead guy in the Horizon. And personal toys.

There is such a thing as pulling every string of my heart and it is sad.

How can you give this dump a good score?
  49. Nov 28, 2013
    This is a very good film on two levels: suspense and special effects. Apart from that, it doesn't have a very unique plot, noteworthy dialogue, or great acting. However, since it essentially achieved what it set out to do, and is entertaining to be sure, it is deserving of a positive review but undeserving of the kind of critical praise it is getting.
  50. Nov 28, 2013
    This is more than a movie its an experience of how to be in space.
    This movie is absolute visual treat with an interesting plot.
    Clooney and Sandra Bullock acted their hearts out .If you miss it 3d cinemas or i-max, that is a crime
    Stunningly perfect movie you could ever experience
  51. Nov 26, 2013
    I absolutely loved this film. Its the first 3D film I've seen that really makes good use of the technology and adds to the enjoyment of the film rather than being a gimmicky distraction. Some of the negative reviews say there's no character development and dull performances I don't think there needs to be any over the top performances or typical Hollywood tropes. This film was something different the visuals, sound, special effects, lighting, the story and the drama were the main aspects of the film and the characters were supposed to be ordinary people in a very unusual situation. There are enough films with over the top characters and I thought the performances of George Clooney and Sandra Bullock were fitting with the story.

This film is definitely best watched in a cinema in 3D.
  52. Nov 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I had purposely not gone to too much trouble to find what this film was about. Its obviously a space drama/disaster flick, that was enough to interest me and pay my admission fee.

I had hoped this film was going to be the closest experience to being in space itself. I was very let down. The film never gripped me, made me feel any empathy with the characters, never made me feel any sense of threat, dread, or consequence of what would happen to them.

This film looks (even in 3D) like actors playing people in space, not the immersive moviegoing experience i was hoping for. The whole thing was a miscast for me even before i sat down, that said, i still retained an open mind about the cast. The acting was about as wooden as it comes (for the record i think clooney is a great actor in the right part, Bullock, sorry ive yet to see her in anything remotely good) and the script is at times cringeworthy. For example Bullocks eenie, meenie, minie, moe button pressing when her life is at stake was pathetic.

The visuals could not save this heap of rubbish, although the destruction of the ISS was the only positive i could find in the film viewing wise.

In a nutshell, overhyped tat with no real purpose, meaning or substance.

Oh, one last thing, how convenient that when Bullock lands back on earth she is mere metres away from the nearest beach.
  53. Nov 25, 2013
    This is proabably one of the few movies I would recommend seeing in theaters, because the specticle can only be saw in theaters. With a few short comings with its star power (George Clooney) and its pretentious themes. Gravity is an awesome survivor story.
  54. Nov 25, 2013
    Magnificent. Perfect visuals, direction, atmosphere, and music. An absolute Tour de Force from director Alfonso Cuaron. Just a modern space masterpiece. Its no Solaris or 2001: A Space Odyssey, but its destined to become a classic.
  55. Nov 25, 2013
    An visually gorgeous thrill ride. Gravity provides a breathtaking view of the heavens that no other film has been able to provide in decades. Not only is this film a visual showcase, but it's an emotionally draining drama that delivers flawless performances by Sandra Bullock and George Clooney, the script was beautifully written as well. The film's script has been criticized for some "cheesy lines," yet, the film Titanic carries some extremely cheesy lines, and that film's script has been hailed as one of the best scripts ever written. This film carries deeper meaning that only those who think about it after seeing it will truly understand. Gravity is an absolute masterpiece, this film will be nominated, if not, win for best picture. If not best picture, then best actress: Sandra Bullock. If not best actress, best special effects. Its a must see. Expand
  56. Nov 25, 2013
    If *anything* goes wrong in space... ANYTHING? You are doomed. This story is so realistically filmed that I left the theater thinking, "we will never send a man to mars..." Wish they'd added a bit more backstory on all of the astronauts, but otherwise loved it.
  57. Nov 23, 2013
    This is a gripping and thrilling film that kept me on the edge of my seat all the way through. The graphics were AMAZING! I actually thought they filmed this in space because it was SO realistic. George Clooney was great and funny even in the most serious parts of the film, and Sandra Bullock made it so realistic! It totally attacked my emotions and I felt physically and mentally exhausted afterwards. I recommend this to everyone and it may sound like a boring old space movie but it will blow you away!!! I highly recommend this so go watch it NOW!! Expand
  58. Nov 23, 2013
    Is gravity a good movie? Yes.
    Does gravity deserve a 8/9/10? No.
    Don't get me wrong. The 3D is good with stuff shooting out at you. The weightlessness or, ahem, lack of gravity is well done. But there are far too many scenes where the characters are just talking to each other for what seems like eternity.
  59. Nov 23, 2013
    A spectacle to say the least; Gravity is a beautifully executed anxiety attack with no intention of letting up. A film well worth its universal acclaim.
  60. Nov 22, 2013
    a great movie, it sucks you in and keeps you watching for sure. It starts off a little slow at first but the movie flies without you realizing how long it has been playing. Excellent cinematic display and a truly original film. It is nice to have something different from the mediocre trend of movies lately.
  61. Nov 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. So I walked into this movie thinking this might actually be better than the trailer actually showed but it turns out that the movie was the trailer, but it had more. You are first introduced to one of the loudest noises I have ever heard in a movie. I swear it was so loud everyone in the theater had to cover their ears to save their eardrums from being blown out. This happens throughtout the whole movie it goes from quiet air into an uneccesarily loud sound and then back to silence and then repeats. Enough of the sound though let's talk about the movie. You first see a random extra astronaut and then you are introduced to sandra bullock's character dr. Ryan stone who in the past has lost a daughter at the age of 4 which is a sad story to me, but that isn't the point we are watching gravity. Basically the explorer gets hit and then the rest of the movie is sandra bullock breathing and crying for the last 50 minutes or so. Did I mention the excellent cameo of George Clooney? Well might as well consider it a cameo and call sandra bullock and the voice on earth the cast; a whopping cast of two people for a film. There was no great plot just bullock floating in space trying to get down to earth. There was zero character development meaning I could have cared less whether bullock survived or not. The movie was also one of the dullest if not the dullest movie I have ever seen it was so dull that me and my friend kept poking jokes at it and laughing our mouths off. Although I do give the film a thumbs up on George Clooney's cameo and good message about survival, it is still one of the worst movies I have ever seen absolutely horrendous. Overall 3/10 Expand
  62. Nov 22, 2013
    This movie is atrocious. Sandra Bullock wailing like a dog at the controls of a spaceship?? The writers of this nonsense should be ashamed of themselves. Absolute Rubbish
  63. Nov 21, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The movie is indeed very good however it could have had so much more potential (and cultural impact) if it were not made for the mainstream viewers.

When watching the trailers and reading about the movie, I though it would be more philosophical like: What do you do, if you are alone in space, waiting for death with exactly no possibilities to survive? Do you freak out? Are you scared?

The director should have added half an hour (the movie is very short) of just nothing. Floating around in space with no direction, no guidance, no entertainment, no sound. Of course, you cannot bore your viewers in such a way, however, it would have shown how dangerous being alone and miserable can be. In Gravity, this aspect is only picked up in a very superficial way.

tl;dr Instead of making a philosophical, sophisticated movie, the director put too much action in it.
  64. Nov 21, 2013
    The fantastic visuals and good pacing of this movie manage somehow to outweigh the groan-inducing dialog. Really, the astronauts trained together for six months and never had a conversation about their backgrounds or where they're from? And is it really typical for astronauts to shoot the breeze with Houston or go joyriding in spacesuit in the middle of a critical mission? Still, the visual and special effects in this movie are simply amazing, especially in 3D. Sandra Bullock deserves the praise she's been getting, and the film never gets boring. I enjoyed this and I'm glad I saw it, but I can't help wishing that the banter between Clooney and Bullock matched the quality of the images surrounding them. Expand
  65. Nov 21, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This film is dire. Goodness knows how it comes by such critical acclaim. The CGI is excellent, but when you've whirled around in space for the umpteenth time the novelty starts to wear off. There is almost no plot. There is no realism in the dynamics of free fall. You just can't dangle on the end of a rope when there's no gravity. The film just repeats the same scenes over and over. Bullock tries to use US reentry vehicle, but it all goes horribly wrong, then the Russian reentry vehicle, but it all goes horribly wrong, then the Chinese one, which works, hoorah! Each change of vehicle necessitate Bullock squeezing in and out of her spacesuit in her underwear hang on isn't that Ripley's thing in Alien? When Bullock is under stress she hums to herself (hang on isn't etc etc). And oh God protect us from American (sorry guys) schmatlz. Bullock has a young daughter, but that's not enough, it has to be a dead daughter, but that's not enough, after Clooney dies, Bullock sends him off with a message for her dead daughter. Ugh. As someone else here said, given the way disaster is piled on disaster it was a wonder there wasn't an alligator shark monster from the black lagoon in the lake that she so fortuitously landed in. Expand
  66. Nov 21, 2013
    Amazing! The effects are absolutely beautiful and for once the 3D actually feels important. The film is a well acted thrill ride through an insane array of difficulties. At times I almost felt too caught up in the film and afterwards I was kind of exhausted after 90 minutes of having a very high pulse.
  67. Nov 20, 2013
    In all my years of being an avid film-goer, I have never been so captivated by 90 minutes of cinema. Gravity is a paragon of art, that displays that there are no technical boundaries with regards to special effects. Do not think that this film, being a survival film set in space, will trudge through its entire length with no intense moments. It promises to deliver, and after the first 5 minutes you are catapulted into an adventure filled with exquisite beauty and moments that will have you holding your breath. Expand
  68. Nov 20, 2013
    Gravity may have been one of my favorite and Greatest movies of all time, however, it does have it's faults. My biggest problem with this movie was the soundtrack (not sound effects), the soundtrack in this just felt like a cheap way of raising tension without really having any substance... The sound effects on the other hand were dazzling, when something bad was happening, it was clear through the absolutely superb sound design. One of the most impressive things about this movie is the way it was shot, Alfonso Cuaron is known for his extra-long takes which play right into the ballpark of Gravity. Throughout the entire movie, the shots that lingered for a while, never felt like they had overstayed there welcome, every shot had a purpose and intrigued a certain emotion. All in all, this was an exceptional movie that is worth anyone's time (best to watch in 3D)!

I give this movie an 8.5!
  69. Nov 20, 2013
    Few other movies can exploit the empathy the audience is capable of feeling for the protagonist of a movie so well. And when said protagonist is placed in a situation so dire, so desperate, and so lonely, you're with her on the experience the whole way through; and that experience, doesn't have a single dull moment. Simply outstanding.
  70. Nov 19, 2013
    It looked great and the script was awful and I could have done without the say hello to my daughter in heaven nonsense which dominated the second half of the movie.
  71. Nov 19, 2013
    Amazing to look at, and one of the most (if not the most) suspenseful films I've ever seen. It's truly "edge-of-your-seat" entertainment. Unfortunately, lines like "No one's going to pray for my soul....I've never prayed. No one ever taught me how. No one ever taught me how" (and there are a few) take away from the experience. You can't tell me that a film with basically one actor doesn't need strong dialogue. Expand
  72. Nov 19, 2013
    GRAVITY Don't Let This Go!
    It's a Visual Paradise. The film transports you to space in every cinematic way possible.
    Sandra Bullock was good, the premise was amazing and your heart will be racing through the whole experience!
    Camera and Direction was innovative
    3Dfx and vfx were breathtaking
    Sound Effects AWESOME!!

Go watch it An experience you won't forget!
  73. Nov 17, 2013
    Brilliant movie SFX Are Amazing, Acting is Good, Story Is Interesting, Though lacks in Character Development A Little Bit And it's A Bit Short Other than That It's An Interesting movie
  74. Nov 17, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Alfonso Cuarón’s intense space thriller Gravity chronicles the struggle of two astronauts to return home when their shuttle is damaged beyond repair by an unprecedented cascade of destructive space debris.

Though undeniably engaging and action-packed, there is an understated atmosphere that comes from the focus on a small cast and their isolation. It’s not pure science-fiction, though fiction allows it to circumnavigate the criticism it has received for scientific inaccuracies. In the absence of any vast treatise on the destiny of humanity, Gravity becomes a contemporary space adventure that is both modern thriller and character drama.

The term ‘shot’ is used loosely here, because the real stars are the stunning visual effects, created in London. What the production team have created is a live action film that is almost entirely and inconspicuously computer generated. Our heroes are inserted into the immersing void above a stunning blue pearl, as they navigate speeding debris, collapsing spacecraft and vast leagues of emptiness.

Cuarón strays into tried and tested Hollywood characterisation with his two leads, the newbie and the veteran. Similarly, the action settles itself in the typical action movie camp, demanding suspension of disbelief from the audience. It’s easy to lose count of the times someone miraculously grabs the very last railing before hurtling off to their doom, but for every time this happens, cinematic karma provides another situation when luck runs out, and their fate appears sealed.

George Clooney appears as Lt. Matt Kowalski, an old space dog enjoying his last spacewalk as he pipes country music through his suit. Clooney’s got the experience: this isn’t his first voyage to the stars, or the first time his ship’s gone down. However, the story really belongs to Bullock, who inhabits her character Dr. Ryan Stone (“my dad wanted a boy”) with emotional intensity.

Stone has none of Kowalski’s confidence, and is terrified when things go awry. We learn she has lost a young daughter, and since then retreated into her research. Cuarón revisits themes of futility explored in Children of Men as Stone must decide whether to resign herself to fate and be reunited with her daughter, or fight desperately for life. With little desire for self preservation, she teeters on the verge of accepting the former more than once.

The tool of her absolution is a symbolic rebirth, explicitly visualised when she removes her bulky spacesuit for the first time and drifts in a foetal position, the cable that tethered her to the ill-fated shuttle floating past as a suggestive umbilical cord. Dressed simply, her vulnerability at this point is reminiscent of Sigourney Weaver’s Ripley in Alien (1979).

Gravity is the latest exploration of how far visual technology has come since the pioneering Avatar (2009). While that film basked in the visual candy of alien flora and fauna, Gravity’s portrayal of the vacuum of space, and the perceived lack of a certain fundamental interaction, invites comparisons with other masterpieces of space on film.

Themes of rebirth and the use of long, uninterrupted shots owe a debt to 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968), which is ultimately wider in scope. Though elegance remains in Kubrick’s classically scored wide shots of docking spacecraft, Gravity ups the ante by dynamically moving the camera through these long sequences, swooping around characters and spacecraft to fully exploit the versatile digital environment. Composer Steven Price’s score meanwhile is haunting silence highlighted by thunderous crescendo. Long shots are interspersed with the view from Bullock’s perspective, emphasising disorientation as she spins out of control.

It’s hard to believe 2001 was released 45 years ago when its effects, created sans computer, still appear so realistic. Kubrick achieved weightlessness with strings, while cameras filming from unconventional directions turned the pendulum-like swing into weightless drifting in another axis. The iconic floating pen was achieved by fixing it to a transparent sheet of rotating plastic. It’s a mark of how far effects have come that multiple pens, along with a plethora of other equipment, frequently spin past Bullock as she clambers through space station interiors.

Apollo 13 (1995) eschewed special effects for the real thing, filming aboard NASA’s astronaut training aircraft, the famous “Vomit Comet” which completed hundreds of descents to give the film makers enough time to shoot. Incidentally, another link between the films sees (or hears) Apollo 13’s mission controller Ed Harris reprises his role as the voice of Houston at the start of Gravity. Notably absent in Gravity are the Earth-based back stories and cutaways to Houston’s desperate attempts at rescue exactly the kind of narrative that padded out Apollo 13. When communications go down early in the film, they are completely on their own.
  75. Nov 17, 2013
    Brilliant and innovative special visual effects are the main reason to see this intermittently gripping movie set in space. First rate production design and cinematography, along with great sound and an appropriate score complete a high quality technical package. The story, though, is minimal to say the least. Still, see it for the visuals and if possible in IMAX 3D. My only wish is that I had liked it more. Expand
  76. Nov 17, 2013
    A movie that shows to the public, how a small story can be at same time a big story. Afonso shows us where the human can go and how can go. You have to watch at less 3 times to really understand what Gravity is. Surprised me 9/10.
  77. Nov 17, 2013
    Why is there so much buzz about this movie? It is just a woman breathing into the microphone. The theater audience was half-awake during this movie. I will give 4 points to the stunning visuals in this movie, however.

Summary: Overrated, Boring, Visually Fantastic
    Grade: 36%
  78. Nov 17, 2013
    Sure, there are some scientific inaccuracies in the movie, but last time I checked, I watch fictions to be entertained. And so I was. Greatly. I saw the movie in 3D and, seriously, Cuaron is a genius filmmaker with impressive attention to details. By details I mean the most he can do without risking the entertainment aspect for scientific accuracies.

Sure, it's a little bit disturbing
    to see how close all the space stations up there are, but I managed to deal with it by just simply assuming it has everything to do with Einstein's relativity theory. Or how it should've been next to impossible for many other things that happen in the movie to actually happen. But then again, this is a very entertaining work of art, smart-ass! Expand
  79. Nov 16, 2013
    Overrated, watched the movie yesterday and it was way below my expectation, don't know why people rate it so high, its pretty basic, acting was good as u'd expect from George Clooney and Sandra Bullock, but the only thing that's great about the movie other than that is the special effects, but that alone doesnt do justice for a movie to be considered great.
  80. Nov 16, 2013
    Terrible, even in 3D with the amazing CGI & soundtrack, I wanted to puke my balls out of my the entirety of this movie. The plot sucked balls, Clooney or however the you spell his name is a chode, and Bullock needs to reconsider her career options.
  81. Nov 16, 2013
    This movie is extremmmmmely boring.....and the story is not nice at all.....it is just a short story being stretch to a length of 91min....Really boring. Furthermore, this movie contains much more educational content than a fictional story content....BUT WHAT I WANNA WATCH IS A NICE MOVIE BUT NOT AN EDUCATIONAL FILM!!!
  82. Nov 16, 2013
    A must see in theaters. Very glad I didn't just wait for this on Bluray! Intense graphics alone are worth the price of admission. Now I'll admit this was a little thin on story but if you want some eye candy go see it.
  83. Nov 16, 2013
    Brilliant movie! Visually stunning, with a storyline that has only two characters, and takes us on a roller coaster ride of suspense for the full length of the running time gets my vote for best movie of the year. Some minor problems with dialogue and character studies, but when I am so fully engaged in the movie that I feel like I am there with the actors, allows me to be forgiving of the flaws.

After I left the theater and drove home I could not put on music or talk radio, I needed let the movie stay in my thoughts, uninterrupted, for a while. Another sign of a great movie.
  84. Nov 16, 2013
    Thoroughly enjoyable action thriller that kept me on the edge of my seat throughout! Great visuals (probably the first film since avatar to make good use of 3D) and even better sound effects. Bullock and George Clooney nail their roles but it is ultimately the fast paced intense action sequences that earns my recommendation to watch this film. One of the best of 2013, go out and see this on the big screen while you still can. Expand
  85. Nov 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. When I saw the trailer, I immediately knew two things. One this is a space survival story, not to dissimilar to Apollo 13 and Marooned. The other was that this film relied on immersion (a feature of cinematography, music and actors being able to express body language), and visual effects. Not a big fan of those movies since they tend to use such features to cover poor plots, character and story. Gravity basically fulfilled my expectations.

The movie is gorgeous visually. The CGI is impressive, and the camera work features continuous shots and a sense that you really are an observer in space looking at the characters. When action sequences occur, most of the camera work tends to be "outside looking in", but there are a few shots that rely on First-person view, or shots that pan to show impending danger as if you are part of the story. It doesn't make you feel nauseous, but probably because I wasn't watching in 3D. In interim scenes between action sequences, the camera just focuses on a particular shot for a few seconds, to let the audience catch their breath. Good since the movie actually has very little transition shots that breaks the scenes apart.

Music is orchestral and compliments the scenes well. I don't usually give credit to composers since their work is supplementary to the movie, but the music here works very well. However there are some flaws that I will address later.

Sandra Bullock gives a believable performance, even if we only see it near the end of the 2nd act. You can really relate to her predicament in the situation she was in, and possibly care about her. If you actually focus on her survival story to get back to Earth, then she gave a good performance. But if you want to believe her underlying motivation to return was in part because she learns to let go of the death of her non-existent daughter, then it becomes nonsensical.

Which leads me to the bad parts of the movie. As I expected, story is simple, plot pacing is adequate. But because there is virtually no B story involved, it becomes extremely distracting when the 1st 5 minutes of the movie is spent attempting to put artificial depth to the characters when there was no need to. Why bother about Bullock's supposed daughter? Why bother about how she got to NASA? It has no relevance to the story, and is padding the movie.

Notice I only mention Bullock, but not George Clooney. His character is superfluous. No reason for me to give two hoots at all. Why? Because he plays the stereotypical wise senior/mentor (ala Obi-Wan) and Bullock plays the rookie in space learning the ropes. No depth or originality. And yes, like Obi-Wan, he dies 2/5ths in the movie and reappears as an apparition of Sandra's hypoxic mind in a suicide attempt, driving her to live. This is pathetic. Clooney is wasted here.

And if you think Sandra and George's name on the poster is just to show two principal characters, in truth, they are the ONLY characters in the movie. The rest are just voices. 10 minutes after the 1st action sequence we are shown how 3 crew members died from the debris impacting the Space Shuttle. This is clearly done for the sake of shock factor, and I'm calling it borderline offensive. Because the director never bothered to show me the character's face, why should I bother about them? Only showing their dead bodies elicits any reaction for me.

Note that because of the genre, there is only one type of conflict and tension in this movie; near death experiences. Sure there is the suicide attempt, and the re-entry scene, but every time the music clinches to a climax, it always had to be a near death experience. And this highlights two flaws; monotony of tension and overpowering effects of music. Since Sandra is the protagonist, and there is very little variation in tension, it quickly becomes boring to see her get placed in these scenarios over and over. And since the composer makes the music according to the scene, there really is only one kind of music he can make; that orchestral heart-pounding apocalyptic type. Also, by act 3, probably out of monotony, I felt that the music, and not the scene, that became the driving emotional force of the setting. Almost makes me want to watch Marooned, back in the day where no music, just plain old acting, carried the scene perfectly.

In short, the film performed as well as expected for this kind of film. But it failed to make me a convert. It did not perform above and beyond expectations. And if I follow my feelings I actually felt bored to a small degree. It didn't make me feel like wanting to watch more of this kind of movies. And if you want immersion in a scene without watching this movie, you probably have better luck going to those 4D theme parks.
  86. Nov 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. For having George Clooney being such anchor for this movie I expected more George Clooney. Not just ten minutes if him rambling then drifting into space. His name is on the poster after all. I found Sandra Bullocks character incredibly annoying. She kept acting like she had no idea what she was doing then wastes precious air talking to Clooney when she needs to get her bum on the ship. Did she not realize you need air to live? Face palm. Then that weird baby fetal position while he drifts further away. As for the CGI I'm pretty sure the three space stations they blew up were the same station. Very redundant .very predictable. I don't understand what the hype is about, I was incredibly disappointed. Expand
  87. Nov 15, 2013
    The cinematography is magnificent, the movie certainly has tension, Sandra Bullock does some nice body yoga for the men in the audience but honestly, I found myself caught between boredom and panic, fully knowing what would happen in the end yet spooked by outer space. The hallucination scene with George Clooney was my favorite moment. I'm glad I saw it, but wouldn't see it again.
  88. Nov 15, 2013
    Coming here and seeing that the critic's score of this movie is 91 and the one of a movie like "The Green Mile" is just 61 surprised me a lot. A great trailer and then nothing: insignificant characters, repetitive plot, banal ending. Don't waste your time and money.
  89. Nov 15, 2013
    Mejor película del año hasta ahora, tal vez la mejor película de los últimos 20 anos.Junto con 2001: Una odisea del espacio es el mejor espacio película ya en Listo obra Alfonso Cuarón.Talvez la mejor película que he visto en mi vida.
  90. Nov 15, 2013
    Melhor filme do ano até agora, talvez o melhor filme dos últimos 20 anos.Junto com 2001: A Space Odyssey o melhor filme de espaço já feito.A obra de arte de Alfonso Cuarón.Talvez o melhor filme que eu já vi.
  91. Nov 15, 2013
    This movie is much more than a couple of moron astronauts trying to get back to earth after a space disaster. This film is really about the choices that you make in life, it is about cause and effect, it is about the idea that we are walking on the razor's edge always. If you pay attention to what happens in the film you see that greed and ambition and hubris will come back and bite you. Karma is a biatch. Expand
  92. Nov 15, 2013
    I was told that Gravity was boring in 2D so we saw it in 3D and it was boring....... and Stupid. George Cluney just played his part like a guy who thinks I'm beautiful so I don't need to act, so he cracks jokes while an exploding satellite destroys their spacecraft, 'looks like Facebook will be off the air haha'. When they make it to the ISS Bullock has to flip through the user manual to learn how to fly the thing, how ridiculous, really this movie is a joke, don't waste your money. Expand
  93. Nov 14, 2013
    Gravity is by far the best movie I have seen in years. The special effects ate awesome, the suspense is killer, and the action leaves you stunned. Gravity will earn several Oscars, at least in special effects. And if you do see it, make sure it's in 3D, otherwise you won't enjoy it nearly as much.
  94. Nov 14, 2013
    Implausible plot, implausible characters, weak symbolism. Boring, not tense. Earns a 5 for special effects. Essentially Cast Away in space with less coherent character development.
  95. Nov 14, 2013
    A rather incredible film in all honesty. A wonderful balance of persistent tension and sudden shock, coupled with constantly breathtaking visuals, Gravity would be the perfect film but for the rather cheesy, Buzz Lightyear-type peformance from Clooney.
  96. woo
    Nov 14, 2013
    The special effects really are very good. Sandra Bullock acts well. The storyline is perhaps a little weak, but you are prepared to suspend your disbelief due to the view you get of earth from space. SOme of the coincidences are a little bit Hollywood but overall worth seeing in 3D.
  97. Nov 13, 2013
    The movie "Gravity" is the sad indictment of current film critics such as Claudia Winkleman & her BBC co presenter Danny Leigh,the hype for this film has been extraordinarily over generous, this small engaging space saga tries to show that women can do what is usually depicted by Hollywood as a mans job...for the life of me i could not see why fellow astronaut Matt (George Clooney) was so much in a hurry to cut himself free from his co star & become just another piece of floating space junk,i found Sandra Bullocks expertise sadly lacking, not least by her rather amateur attempt at fixing a .malfunctioned circuit board attached to the Hubble Iam sure NASA would not have sent someone into space who had failed miserably to learn the docking & unlocking procedures that might be just needed on such a perilous mission, that said Bullocks role was well acted but.. certainly not Oscar material... Clooneys role for what is was could have frankly been played by any actor,special affects were very good but have been bettered, I found there were hints of the Signora Weavers character Ripely in the far superior "Alien" movie but lets not even go there..,nonetheless not a bad try... but keep your expectations to a minimum 7 out of 10. MJC Expand
  98. Nov 13, 2013
    Gravity reminded me of the Disney movie from 2000 called "Dinosaur" The reason is because this was a visually stunning movie. Absolutely beautiful in every way. But once people started talking I didn't like it. That's how Dinosaur should have been and that's how Gravity should have been. Just give me rad shots of people floating in space in 3d and I'm happy, the story was ok, but I just couldn't imagine anyone in space acting all weird like that. I didn't really care about the characters, but I really care about real astronauts. So that's my feeling on Gravity, watch it with earplugs and make up your own story. It will be a wonderful piece of visual art and a lot of fun. George Clooney is always cool though, I gotta give him props! Expand
  99. Nov 12, 2013
    You may have heard some hype floating around about this “little” movie and its big achievement… believe it! ‘Gravity’ is one of the best films to hit the big screen all year and, through staggering technical accomplishment, it quite easily made its mark as a vital contributor to the visual language of cinema. The screenplay may not be an elaborate piece of work, but it gets the job done. Through Alfonso Cuaron’s accomplished direction the ideas come into fruition and the simplicity of the script is given a grand, new life. Cuaron crafts a staggering tale of survival against seemingly impossible odds, and splices it with spiritual motifs and nods to some classic science fiction films. When a space shuttle is destroyed by debris from a decimated Russian Satellite, the last two survivors of the disaster become stranded in space and are forced to use their wit and will to live in order to return to mother Earth. Sandra Bullock delivers her career best turn as rookie astronaut, Ryan Stone, who faces the brunt of Space’s fury. Her arc as a hero placed in repetitive danger may (or may not) have been a shortcoming of the script, but that question was put to rest by Bullock’s convincing lead presence. Her attempts to overcome one near-death obstacle after another never got boring. George Clooney turns up the charm, and gives his best George Clooney impersonation, as the veteran astronaut who guides our imperiled heroine along the way. This was such a beautifully made film. What Cuaron did to bring this space spectacle to the screen is beyond my understanding; and I’m quite happy just marveling at its wonder. The visual effects are obviously groundbreaking stuff, and if Emmanuel Lubezki doesn’t finally win that elusive Oscar for his arresting cinematography I will lose all hope in humanity. That 20 minute single shot opening scene is enough to earn him the award. Just as elegant as the visuals were the sound designs, sparse musical score and that excellent sound mix that strives for realism. That’s what I appreciated most about this film, Alfonso Cuaron’s attempt at creating a realistic space experience; I was actually caught in the illusion of weightlessness and silence that is definitive of space. In the process he not only created a realistic space experience, but also an astonishing cinematic one. Expand
  100. Nov 12, 2013
    I'll begin with the positives (mainly because I have very few criticisms): The most notable and favourable aspect of the film are the visual effects. It's obvious that the majority of the film's $105,000,000 budget went on them as they are pure state-of-the-art and probably the best I've seen in a film to date; they create an amazing atmosphere (no pun intended) and I've never seen the Earth look so gorgeous. Secondly, the acting. The (more or less) two man cast brings a sense of loneliness and makes the vast spacescape look even bigger. Bullock and Clooney are perfect choices for the parts and they do their job well with Bullock switching it up a little with gender roles. Thirdly; the cinematography. The camera angles are absolutely brilliant and they really give the film a realistic feel. Fourthly; the realism. The film keeps very close to realism when it comes to the physics; a notable part would be the soundless destruction of the space stations. The films 90 minute run-time may seem quite short for a sci-fi thriller but this serves plenty and leaves a lasting effect on the viewer. I'd recommend Gravity for anyone; you don't have to be a sci-fi movie buff to enjoy this visual masterpiece. I have hardly any criticisms apart from the films storyline didn't quite go in my favour but that doesn't douse its brilliance. All I can say now is, See you at the Academy Awards Gravity! Expand

1. Reviewed by: James Mottram
    Nov 3, 2013
    A stunning space saga that takes off for new technical frontiers without leaving its humanity behind.
  2. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Oct 6, 2013
    Gravity is not a film of ideas, like Kubrick's techno-mystical "2001," but it's an overwhelming physical experience -- a challenge to the senses that engages every kind of dread. [7 Oct. 2013, p.88]
  3. Reviewed by: Dana Stevens
    Oct 4, 2013
    This is not to say that Gravity is a masterpiece: Unlike Cuarón’s extraordinary "Children of Men", it doesn’t quite pull off its ambitious effort to combine formal inventiveness, heart-pounding action, and intimate human storytelling. But it succeeds thrillingly at the first two of those categories, and only misses the mark on the last because it tries a little too hard — which is certainly a welcome respite from the countless sci-fi thrillers that privilege the human story not at all.