7.8

1. Oct 28, 2014
    A visual masterpiece but my god if that was not the worst story/script of the year. Paper thin characters with little to no back story so it's hard to get an emotional attachment to them. The overly dramatic music through out got tiresome real freaking quick as well. Filled with cheap last minute escapes and life saving events. Not to mention the fact that it's really rough to get into andA visual masterpiece but my god if that was not the worst story/script of the year. Paper thin characters with little to no back story so it's hard to get an emotional attachment to them. The overly dramatic music through out got tiresome real freaking quick as well. Filled with cheap last minute escapes and life saving events. Not to mention the fact that it's really rough to get into and is quite boring at times. Seriously overrated film. Expand
  2. Oct 20, 2013
    There is no other film experience on Earth like Gravity. Which makes sense, keeping in mind the whole movie was located in space, with only the ending scene being on Earth.

Alfonso Cuaron has struck gold with his masterpiece Gravity. It explores the silence of space where all you can hear are your breaths and your thoughts as you spin around aimlessly. This is usually harmless until a crisis like debris comes into play. From then on, Sandra Bullock puts on an amazing performance which will definitely give her an Oscar nod, and George Clooney is his usual affable self.

One thing that really defined this movie's greatness was its careful attention to being realistic. From the tears slipping down Sandra Bullock's cheeks actually floating off her face, to the oxygen in her suit depleting at a steady rate, this movie doesn't look over any detail or flaw. Instead, it uses simplicity and directness to flow the movie along. Nothing was that unbelievable in this movie.

Even though sound was a luxury in this movie, the emotional side of the film was not. Confined to tight spaces, Bullock couldn't really do anything to hide her emotions. She couldn't run anywhere to hide, or walk into a different room. Instead, we all saw and felt what she was going through, and actually cared about what happening to her character.

Another thing this movie did that was great was switch perspectives of the camera. We went from seeing what was happening from the character's eyes, to a third person view, to a wide camera angle, all in a few seconds. And the best part is, the camera was so fluent and coherent that we didn't even notice that the perspectives were changing until it actually happened. Genius filmmaking.

I could go on about this things this movie did right, because to be honest I can't think of anything I didn't like in the movie, which is extremely rare. Overall, this is a new kind of cinema experience that cannot be replicated again. (Yes, that was a challenge, directors!) Everyone in the target audience and beyond should see this movie because of its realistic sense of things and its careful attention to detail. The cinematography is beautiful, and the views and perspectives this movie gives are to die for. The emotional core, themes, and moral lessons this movie offers should be soaked up with ease. And the way it draws you into the story and what's happening is truly an amazing feat.
  3. Sep 1, 2014
    One of the most breathtaking films I have ever seen in my entire life. The Academy should revoke Sandra's Oscar for The Blind Side and give her the statue for Gravity. She gives her greatest performance and one of the best performances this year. The technology at hand is spectacular on all fronts--no doubt an example of filmmaking in the years to come.
  4. Oct 8, 2013
    Sandra Bullock and George Clooney are 2 astronauts who struggle for their lives when their space walk is shattered. The cast is small and the plot is simple, but this film packs a colossal wallop. The groundbreaking effects are truly spectacular (in every sense of the word). Director Alfonso Cuarón has created a dazzling cinematic masterpiece with gripping suspense that never lets up. EvenSandra Bullock and George Clooney are 2 astronauts who struggle for their lives when their space walk is shattered. The cast is small and the plot is simple, but this film packs a colossal wallop. The groundbreaking effects are truly spectacular (in every sense of the word). Director Alfonso Cuarón has created a dazzling cinematic masterpiece with gripping suspense that never lets up. Even with the amazing spectacle of outer space, he and Bullock create an intimate, emotional roller coaster ride. This is a filmmaking at its best. Don't miss it! Expand
  5. Oct 4, 2013
    It takes more than just visual effects to hold a film together and Sandra Bullock is the pull in “Gravity.” For the majority of the film, Bullock is alone, and while acting in general is no easy feat, acting solo is an actor’s most challenging role and Bullock is effortlessly sensational. Her roller coaster of emotions from the start of the film to its final frame are riveting. TheIt takes more than just visual effects to hold a film together and Sandra Bullock is the pull in “Gravity.” For the majority of the film, Bullock is alone, and while acting in general is no easy feat, acting solo is an actor’s most challenging role and Bullock is effortlessly sensational. Her roller coaster of emotions from the start of the film to its final frame are riveting. The suspense in this film would be null without Bullock’s wonderful and relatable connection. The Cuaróns’ makes Ryan an "everyman," so watching her struggle to save and be saved is like having a sinking feeling of watching one’s self go through this traumatic ordeal. Bullock wasn’t the first choice to play Ryan, but Cuarón should count himself lucky that he landed a powerful, often beautiful, performance in the end. While “Gravity” gives audiences a sensational and unparalleled fictional view of the final frontier, Bullock says it best as her dread sets in: “I hate space.” For those who have always dreamed of becoming an astronaut or visiting the stars, this incredibly tense film might change your mind. Going in to the film knowing disaster will strike just makes the tension that much greater and when Cuarón unleashes hell upon Ryan and Kowalski, the suspense is relentless and exhausting. “Gravity” deserves the IMAX treatment more than most films. An already immersive experience is incredibly heightened by the big screen format. Check out on IMAX if possible. It will be worth the extra coin. It remains to be seen if “Gravity” will have a long shelf-life once every new science fiction movie hereafter copies everything from its realism to its naturalistic effects to Steven Price’s hypnotic and vertigo-inducing score. “Gravity” is definitely an experience an event and whether or not that lasts, as of right now, there’s just nothing else like it. And that is a rare treat at the movies. Expand
  6. Apr 4, 2014
    I pretty much knew I was going to love this the moment I first saw the trailer. Sandra Bullock is absolutely fantastic here and the movie is tense, emotional, and (mostly) believable. It's also an absolutely gorgeous film to look at. I really do not think space has ever looked better in a movie. Some scenes are a little slow and watching the main character just happen to press the rightI pretty much knew I was going to love this the moment I first saw the trailer. Sandra Bullock is absolutely fantastic here and the movie is tense, emotional, and (mostly) believable. It's also an absolutely gorgeous film to look at. I really do not think space has ever looked better in a movie. Some scenes are a little slow and watching the main character just happen to press the right button in a shuttle (or whatever it was actually called) despite being labeled in a language she doesn't understand is a little far-fetched, but overall I was absolutely enthralled with the film. This is one I highly recommend, and I give it a 9.9/10-Near-Perfect. Expand
  7. Jan 18, 2014
    Gravity is the best movie in years with its brilliant cinematography, terrific score and an ending that is one of a kind. No movie since Avatar has created astonishing visuals that transform a movie into a stunning work of art. Alonso Cuaron has created a cinematic masterpiece that sets a new standard in visual effects.
  8. Feb 3, 2014
    "Gravity" is an absolutely magnificent directorial work from Alfonso Cuaron, featuring quite possibly the best performance Sandra Bullock has given in her career, some impossibly superb imagery, and an indelible score.
  9. Oct 11, 2013
    This is a visually stunning piece of film making. Clooney and Bullock give their usual strong performances though there's not much character development. Overall this is a very good film, but not a masterpiece. A-
  10. Feb 14, 2014
    Gravity is pure cinematic brilliance. Hugely ambiguous and flawlessly executed. Sandra Bullock carries the film beautifully in what is surely the performance of her career.
  11. Jan 18, 2014
    Absolutely brilliantly filmed, like this was completely breathtaking. In 3D, it was even more engrossing. If I was rating this based on special effects alone, it'd be an easy 10. However, I'm not. The story left much to be desired and while insprirational and touching, it was not that amazing. Sandra Bullock left much to be desired in terms of acting, while George Clooney honestly stoleAbsolutely brilliantly filmed, like this was completely breathtaking. In 3D, it was even more engrossing. If I was rating this based on special effects alone, it'd be an easy 10. However, I'm not. The story left much to be desired and while insprirational and touching, it was not that amazing. Sandra Bullock left much to be desired in terms of acting, while George Clooney honestly stole the show completely for me. He was phenomenal in this film. Certainly worthy of the Oscars it could receive for direction and others, but leave the acting ones for some of the better performances of the year, in my opinion. Expand
  12. Mar 5, 2014
    gravity is a sci fi adventure . alfsonso did a amazing job on this . Sandra bullock did a amazing and so did george clooney . so thank you alfsonso your are number 1 director
  13. May 17, 2014
    Gravity is instantaneously one of the best SF films ever made. It's wonderfully acted, with a backbone of raw emotion running through it. And it's exciting. Truly, deeply exciting. I can't remember the last time I was biting my nails like I was during this film. From it's groundbreaking direction to it's unparallelled SFX, Gravity is an absolute masterpiece.
  14. Oct 20, 2013
    Travel in India, but I will never miss any chance to experience a cinema-going activity in any exotic locale, not to mention it is Alfonso Cuarón’s GRAVITY, the sensationally topical follow-up to CHILDREN OF MEN (2006, 9/10), a firmly prospective Oscar-bait and is on its way to procure an unanimous triumph from both audiences and critics, domestically and internationally, a rare feat whichTravel in India, but I will never miss any chance to experience a cinema-going activity in any exotic locale, not to mention it is Alfonso Cuarón’s GRAVITY, the sensationally topical follow-up to CHILDREN OF MEN (2006, 9/10), a firmly prospective Oscar-bait and is on its way to procure an unanimous triumph from both audiences and critics, domestically and internationally, a rare feat which is hailed as the most innovative film in executing the ubiquitous 3D technology after AVATAR (2009, 9/10).

I was at a relatively large 3D screen hall, but if you can find a screen with IMAX plus 3D, which is the quintessential option. The film runs a succinct 96-minutes, at first I found myself a bit distracted by the murkiness of the screen with the clumsy 3D glasses double-glazing my myopic spectacles, one primary reason why I don’t enjoy 3D films on the whole, so as to I didn’t quite adjust myself to appreciate the opening scene, thankfully a belated captivation comes when the debris attacks, this survival tale begins to gnaw at its audience in a very good and exciting way.

Floating in the infinite emptiness, the extremity of terror and helplessness is oppressive and overwhelming, Sandra Bullock confidently and believably pilots us into a journey of wonders, we don’t know what’s the odds here for her to pull it off the miraculous landing on earth, it is her relentless mettle and stamina shock us, inspire us and strike a chord with us. Bullock’s hallmark of underplaying her character’s choppy emotion does a clean sweep to deliver a top-notch impact in spite of a comparatively thin script, it is a tour-de-force performance in her career and a hard-earned honor for an actress who can overcome the glass ceiling to lead a commercially prosperous Sci-Fi fare in her age (what’s more important, she is also a top-billing comedian presently). Clooney serves slickly as the experienced but not-too-lucky astronaut, most of the time he is hidden inside the space helmet and uniform, but generates a wake-up call on the nose when he displays his usual Clooney-esque mien, Cuarón does know what audiences want.

GRAVITY is a ground-breaker, a high-tech adventurer and seeker, and fingers crossed it will eventually give DP Emmanuel Lubezki his overdue golden statue after 5 nominations (divinely shot scenes include the trademark ever-rotating long takes, the resurrection emblem of a fetus inside the uterus, the final victory when she rises out of the sea as a giantess, etc.), maybe for Cuarón and his sterling production team as well (sound department, art production and visual stunt). It is a film beyond everyone’s imagination and it edifies you so much with so little to tell, like an essay, it is concise but cogent, and with a collateral effect to blow your mind.

PS: I am planning a rematch when the picture will arrive at the end of November in China, hopefully in an IMAX screen finally.
  15. Oct 25, 2013
    Stunning realism to the science of space, along with extraordinary cinematography and special effects, brilliant, entertaining acting by Sandra Bullock and George Clooney, give this sci-fi it's interesting cataclysmic plot, and it's essence of a dramatic-thriller Mexican film-making [of Alfonso Cuaron] proves both entertaining and sophisticated.
  16. Nov 17, 2013
    Brilliant and innovative special visual effects are the main reason to see this intermittently gripping movie set in space. First rate production design and cinematography, along with great sound and an appropriate score complete a high quality technical package. The story, though, is minimal to say the least. Still, see it for the visuals and if possible in IMAX 3D. My only wish is that IBrilliant and innovative special visual effects are the main reason to see this intermittently gripping movie set in space. First rate production design and cinematography, along with great sound and an appropriate score complete a high quality technical package. The story, though, is minimal to say the least. Still, see it for the visuals and if possible in IMAX 3D. My only wish is that I had liked it more. Expand
  17. Feb 27, 2014
    Gravity was a very unique and original movie and because it was also executed incredibly well, it was a great movie and deserves much of the praise it has received. The special effects, cinematography, perfect amount of first-person angles, sound, and lack of development all create a certain sense of unknown and suspense that keep you on the edge of your seat almost from the beginning. TheGravity was a very unique and original movie and because it was also executed incredibly well, it was a great movie and deserves much of the praise it has received. The special effects, cinematography, perfect amount of first-person angles, sound, and lack of development all create a certain sense of unknown and suspense that keep you on the edge of your seat almost from the beginning. The acting, essentially Sandra Bullock, is also very good, albeit slightly overrated. While it isn't the movie of the year in my opinion, it is still an exceptional film and one of the few movies I've ever seen that I felt like 3D added something rather than taking something away. Expand
  18. Jan 10, 2014
    A near perfect experience from a director that has brought to us not merely a film but a true accomplishment. Visually stunning, an experience truly out of this world. My only quibble was that even though admittedly there was little to flaw Sandra Bullock's performance, I just did not feel she had the gravitas to carry it the weight of such a grand cinematic achievement on her shoulders.
  19. Mar 2, 2014
    With such a big-scale production, a plot less thin and predictable would’ve been desirable, especially due to the fact that you need more than just visuals to make a film rewatchable. But there is really no denying that Cuarón has accomplished a most impressive and breathtaking film with Gravity, that should at least scoop the technical trophies at the Academy Awards.
  20. Oct 7, 2013
    This movie is all about the visuals. Be sure you see it in 3D. Sandra Bullock is excellent, although somewhat panicky for a highly trained astronaut. Even at the beginning before disaster strikes she is having a panic attack. The astronaut played by Clooney is a stereotype you've seen before, but it doesn't matter as Sandra Bullock is the main focus. You will be asking yourself howThis movie is all about the visuals. Be sure you see it in 3D. Sandra Bullock is excellent, although somewhat panicky for a highly trained astronaut. Even at the beginning before disaster strikes she is having a panic attack. The astronaut played by Clooney is a stereotype you've seen before, but it doesn't matter as Sandra Bullock is the main focus. You will be asking yourself how they are doing the special effects all throughout the film because it looks so real. I was on the edge of me seat the entire time. Expand
  21. Oct 4, 2013
    Overall this was a great film one of if not the best of the year. Even without the #D the presentation, atmosphere, and characters more than make up for it. This is a must see movie. You will be engaged the whole time. The great cinemphotography goes a long way in making not just a movie but also an experience.
  22. Mar 8, 2014
    "Gravity" is perhaps one of the most accurate representations of space. It's powerfully acted, has really excellent visuals, and you just really feel alone. I mean, when you see the shuttles destroyed by the debris and there's no sound, it's really freaky and effective. It's just absolutely brilliant.
  23. Oct 4, 2013
    In a year where some movies pass off as cheap entertainment, this movie delivers and shows the wonders and thrills of cinema. It's absolutely breathtaking while showing both the beauty and the horrors of space. The acting, visuals, cinematography, everything is about this movie is just flawless. Overall, this is truly one of the best movies ever made. It's freaking awesome! Be sure toIn a year where some movies pass off as cheap entertainment, this movie delivers and shows the wonders and thrills of cinema. It's absolutely breathtaking while showing both the beauty and the horrors of space. The acting, visuals, cinematography, everything is about this movie is just flawless. Overall, this is truly one of the best movies ever made. It's freaking awesome! Be sure to check out my YouTube channel, "TheMovieManLife" for all things movies! Expand
  24. Mar 11, 2015
    The story is refreshing and original and I found the special effects and action sequences to be spectacular. Sandra Bullocks does a superb job of acting and the fear which grips her is palpable. However, some of the character interactions seem odd and unconvincing, much in part due to George Clooney's rigid and stale performance. He seems completely and oddly immune to the circumstances inThe story is refreshing and original and I found the special effects and action sequences to be spectacular. Sandra Bullocks does a superb job of acting and the fear which grips her is palpable. However, some of the character interactions seem odd and unconvincing, much in part due to George Clooney's rigid and stale performance. He seems completely and oddly immune to the circumstances in which the astronauts find themselves. Expand
  25. Nov 13, 2014
    "Gravity" 10 Scale Rating: 7.0 (Good) ...

"Gravity" 10 Scale Rating: 7.0 (Good) ...

The Good: The word "stunning" is usually over-used when describing visuals, but it fits here. The visuals in this film were absolutely stunning. Despite the buzz, I wasn't really looking forward to this movie, but it was better than I thought it would be. Sandra Bullock does a decent job and Clooney was overlooked for Best Supporting Actor awards.

The Bad: It is still about a solitary woman floating through space and that is only so interesting. The Murphy's Law got a little old too as everything that could go wrong, did go wrong. That got a little ridiculous. Bullock was decent, but I don't understand all the Best Actress buzz. She didn't do anything phenomenal. Lastly, without trying to spoil the outcome, the end was sort of anti-climactic and I never really felt like the antagonist was in any real danger ... which is odd since she's floating in space with everything going to Hell around her.
  26. Oct 4, 2013
    Utterly breathtaking. Gravity is a terrifying, realistic, beautiful and amazing thrill ride filled with non-stop suspense and incredible tension along with fantastic visuals and score. This is definitely a must see film and can definitely qualify as one of the best films of the year.
  27. Jul 28, 2014
    Gravity will have you reaching for anything you can grab, so you don`t float into space. I went in thinking this movie would be boring, but the found a way to keep it interesting until the very end. Made me feel like I was there,and wishing to be back on Earth.It also has a good message about life in the middle of the chaos.
  28. Oct 4, 2013
    “Gravity” is a film that must first be seen on a 3D movie theatre screen and even better if it is an IMAX screen! What director Alfonso Cuaron and his production crew, partially consisting of director of photography Emmanuel Lubezki, editors Alfonso Cuaron and Mark Sanger along with production designer Andy Nicholson, special effects supervisors Neil Corbould and Manex Efrem, visual“Gravity” is a film that must first be seen on a 3D movie theatre screen and even better if it is an IMAX screen! What director Alfonso Cuaron and his production crew, partially consisting of director of photography Emmanuel Lubezki, editors Alfonso Cuaron and Mark Sanger along with production designer Andy Nicholson, special effects supervisors Neil Corbould and Manex Efrem, visual effects supervisor Tom Webber, have done in this film are things you have never seen in a movie before and the recurring thought running through your mind, if not said out loud, is “How did they do that?”

There is a screenplay by Alfonso and Jonas Cuaron while actors Sandra Bullock and George Clooney are the leads but their star power doesn’t stand a chance against a teardrop floating off of the screen. What is basically a two hander turns into a performance of Bullock competing against space and charismatic Clooney is probably one of the very few actors who could pull off one of his later scenes.

There have been many space travel, sci-fi, astronaut movies and variations of all, but there has never been a movie like “Gravity” that takes you from minutes of absolute silence where you imagine you hear things to a terrifying sequence where space debris is hurled at scientist Ryan Stone (Bullock) and mission commander Matt Kowalski (Clooney) and you see and hear the consequences.

Hundreds of miles from earth we see space up close, from a distance, through the eyes of a face in a helmet to the couple seeming to dance in slow motion against the stars and the sky. To tell you anything about the movie, from a pen floating in a spaceship to Matt commenting on how beautiful the sun coming up on the horizon is, would all just have to be marked with big SPOILERS.

“Gravity” isn’t an emotional involving movie but you will sit in awe and wonder as it engages the brain. This film defines the magic of movies and has taken it further tech wise than ever done before. You will want to see it again and again to figure out how scenes were done and that’s what the DVD will be for but you have to see it on the big 3D screen first.
  29. Feb 26, 2014
    This was alot better than I thought it was going to be. I mean, what could happen in space that would keep me interested. Well, despite that there was quite a bit of suspense and impossiblities was more than enough to keep me interested. And although i am not a Sandra Bullock fan, she was atleast believable in her role, while Clooney was not outside his "normal" typecast.
  30. Nov 10, 2014
    With strong acting coupled up with an eerie soundtrack, top-notch directing, a focused narrative and great visuals, it is entertaining, tense and astonishing at the same time. Gravity's huge ambition pays off as a modern classic.
  31. Dec 9, 2014
    Visually stunning and impeccably filmed, "Gravity" is an entertainingly thoughtful science fiction thriller that can be either masterfully directed and smartly plotted.
  32. Nov 3, 2014
    After being struck by a debris field astronauts Stone (Bullock) and Kowalski (Clooney) find themselves adrift in space and, with no chance of rescue, they have to somehow find a way back to Earth.

First and foremost Gravity is an incredible technical achievement setting a new benchmark for visuals in cinema. From start to finish it is full of staggering shots and special effects making it impossible to take your eyes from the screen. The script, despite strong performances from Clooney and Bullock, can't quite match the visuals and occasionally becomes a bit too 'Hollywood' but that is only a minor criticism of what is a must see movie.
  33. May 25, 2014
    "I wake up go to work and i just drive"

Gravity is by far the best movie of the year so far beating out both Before Midnight and Mud. I had Chills from start to finish the movie felt more like a ride and it left me on the edge of my set the whole time. Though the movie is only 90 minutes it feels more like a two hour movie the way it paces itself. Alfonso Cuarón has done some great
    "I wake up go to work and i just drive"

Alfonso Cuarón has done some great movies in the past with Children of Men and Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. This film is by far the best he has done everything from the Actors to the CGI was perfect. Watching this in IMAX format was definitely worth the hour drive in the rain and the $20 dollars for the ticket.

Sandra Bullock and George Clooney are amazing actors i love them both but Sandra Bullock was on another level in this film. Sure The Blind Side was a good movie but i think if she won Best Actress for that movie then then she should definitely win for Gravity it's a WAY WAY! better movie if she doesn't ill be pretty upset. George Clooney is an amazing actor and he proves it again in this with his performance. His dialog really hits you in the heart especially there at the end.

The CGI was on just amazing beating out everything i watched at the theaters this year it feels like you are there in space. The realism was on another level also beating out Europa Report which was another film that was high on realism. The moment when i seen the Airglow in the film i felt Bliss hit my body.

Overall i give it a Perfect 10 Truly an amazing film i knew this was going to AMAZING and i CAN'T WAIT for the blu-ray. I'm just in love with space and this movie was just another one i will add to my collection now onto the next great sci-fi Interstellar.
  34. Lyn
    Oct 11, 2013
    Visually delicious; truly amazing special effects. The 3-D experience is engrossing, not just the floating people and elements but the way you almost get used to the stunning outer space views as a backdrop for everything that happens. But I'm sorry: I want to be involved with the characters, too. Sandra Bullock (in yet another bad movie wig!) does OK as a sketchily writtenVisually delicious; truly amazing special effects. The 3-D experience is engrossing, not just the floating people and elements but the way you almost get used to the stunning outer space views as a backdrop for everything that happens. But I'm sorry: I want to be involved with the characters, too. Sandra Bullock (in yet another bad movie wig!) does OK as a sketchily written woman-turned-superwoman. George Clooney has never been less memorable. Neither lingers in the memory as much as the cinematography does. Expand
  35. Jan 29, 2014
    Gravity is one of those few films that attempt to portray the dynamics of outer space as best as it could be. At a running time of only an hour and a half, most of the film concerned the difficulty of the characters to move toward places they needed to be in order to survive. With no friction, the slightest push could set one off on a course taking them far from the home planet.

Sandra

Sandra Bullock delivers a strong performance as a newbie in the field, unaccustomed and uncomfortable with her environment, and she does well. Her every movement is clumsy and awkward. She feels sick, disorientated and panicked. The way she portrayed the character develop from this fearful bereaving person to the strong woman who finally faces reality and understands that while she has been dealt a cruel hand by fate on and off the earth, there's really nothing to do about it than just accept it and then fight for her life with every ounce of strength she has in her body.

George Clooney plays Matt, who is on his last mission. He is a jolly figure who engages in humorous and distracting monologues with Houston. But the strength of his character becomes apparent the moment the apocalypse of that world arrives at their doorstep.

The space-crafts shown are the International Space Station, Hubble Telescope and Chinese Tiangong. The majority of the action takes place around Hubble, where the characters are stationed. As always, the Russians mess up when they blow up a satellite of their own. The debris starts an accidental chain reaction which destroys every other spacecraft in its orbit, returning every ninety minutes to do more damage. The characters have to use this window to make their way without panicking as that consumes more oxygen. Alfonso Cuarón does well in weaving the entire environment in working to kill the characters.

The visual effects were the most believable that I've seen in a long time. The constant was the rim of the Earth, which was a welcoming sight in the wake of the chaos taking place. Tiny water droplets, explosions and debris from destroyed spacecraft were created with painstaking detail and enriched the picture. The effects did not overwhelm everything else and aided in the development of the story. The set design was exquisite, showing the interior of space-crafts, their controls, space suits, floating and drifting spacecraft.

There may be a few inaccuracies but they are quite forgiveable in contrast to the spectacle that Cuarón has created. The script was strong, so was the production design and visual effects. The direction managed to capture the sense of fear and confusion of the characters with some very poignant moments. The vast emptiness of space was constantly reminding everyone by its presence to its claim of being the main antagonist of the film.

Already being compared to 2001: A Space Odyssey, I can only concur that Gravity rivals that only in the departments of entertainment value, visual effects and its ability to affect mood using imagery and music. The former had a more interesting story while the plot of the latter was conceived to suit the demands of the effects, which isn't actually a bad thing but isn't enough to get the movie in the same league as the classics.

9.5
  36. Feb 15, 2014
    "Gravity" was an amazing film. The graphics and animation--- mainly being the fact that it actually looks like it was filmed in space made this film one of my favorites. However not by a whole lot.
  37. Sep 2, 2014
    "Gravity" is one of the most mind-blowing and breathtaking films I have ever seen. The cinematography is some of the best, if not, THE best cinematography in a movie, and the acting from Sandra Bullock and George Clooney is great as always. The movie is rather short, a measily 91 minutes, but that's all it needs to be a very intense experience.
  38. Oct 5, 2013
    Gravity is an amazing movie. It's also the tensest film I've ever seen, and movies rarely ever make me tense. I'm almost certain Sandra Bullock will win an Oscar. If it doesn't win the visual effects Oscar I'd also be very surprised about that. I do have some caveats however. The story felt too minimalistic for me. It's basically a survival tale set in space. There's nothing wrongGravity is an amazing movie. It's also the tensest film I've ever seen, and movies rarely ever make me tense. I'm almost certain Sandra Bullock will win an Oscar. If it doesn't win the visual effects Oscar I'd also be very surprised about that. I do have some caveats however. The story felt too minimalistic for me. It's basically a survival tale set in space. There's nothing wrong with that but just think of what could have been. Despite these problems the movie is so tense, so atmospheric, and so visually impressive that it would be crazy to not catch it in theatres. I'd place it up there with Avatar, District 9, and Inception. Expand
  39. Oct 4, 2013
    When I entered the cinema, I didn't expect to see a triumph in cinematography. Gravity is hands down the best movie of this year; it is fascinating, majestic and thoroughly dreadful at the same time. The visual is years ahead from the flock as the screenplay are probably the smoothest use of continuous shots I've ever seen. Acting from the talented Sandra Bullock and George Clooney isWhen I entered the cinema, I didn't expect to see a triumph in cinematography. Gravity is hands down the best movie of this year; it is fascinating, majestic and thoroughly dreadful at the same time. The visual is years ahead from the flock as the screenplay are probably the smoothest use of continuous shots I've ever seen. Acting from the talented Sandra Bullock and George Clooney is incredibly beautiful, the simple concept of characters in dire predicament has been crafted so masterfully, it's nigh impossible not to be drawn into this highly inspiring tale.

The visual is undeniably breathtaking. It flows stunningly from scene to scene, the camera shows just the right angle while explosion of color in dark space erupts. The occasional switches to first person view looks very natural, emphasizing the intense solitude, almost in frightening yet utterly captivating way. Graphical effect is clearly one of the best, not only in movie but in all medium; it is gloriously magnificent to witness such stellar value. It takes its time to build up the suspense and it focuses comprehensibly on the extraordinary moments while giving the audience a chance to savor them entirely. I truly admire Alfonso Cuarón from his work in Children of Men, he's a visionary and now he's perfected his craft with excellent editing and screenplay.

Screenplay does a marvelous job of trailing the characters in the gripping struggle for survival. Credits goes to the short list of cast; George Clooney who is charmingly dependable and especially Sandra Bullock who deliver a chilling intimate performance that can freeze the entire theater. She's nothing less than remarkable, she seems a bit withdrawn at first but as she fights through the ordeal, she gradually opens up and ultimately exhibits strengths beyond despair. This is one of rare occasions where a movie almost exclusively relies on an individual's acting, and Sandra Bullock delivers, many times over, taking the audience along in her personal journey. A truly inspiring performance.

The music is harrowingly gripping, almost to the extent of merging with the sound effect. It gives enchanting suspense and even more emotionally engaging at most points. When the visual, music and acting combine together, it reaches a pinnacle of how passionately powerful a movie could be. Its simple yet brilliant concept of living can be universally acceptable to everyone; it speaks to viewers across age, gender or race.

There may come movies that stand above the rest, movies that can restore wonder upon watching them as if you are experience watching big screen for the first time, they may not come often, but Gravity is clearly one such movie. With such elegant visual choreograph and splendid acting, it's a near magical experience.
  40. Apr 30, 2014
  41. Jan 21, 2014
    It's watchable okay, but I wouldn't recommend it for those who wants to watch a movie with action, because it didn't really happen anything big or spectacular in this movie, just small events and boring conversations between the astronauts, my whole family were half-sleeping thought the movie, although that we are big sci-fi fans! The movie had it moments, but they were not long-lasted andIt's watchable okay, but I wouldn't recommend it for those who wants to watch a movie with action, because it didn't really happen anything big or spectacular in this movie, just small events and boring conversations between the astronauts, my whole family were half-sleeping thought the movie, although that we are big sci-fi fans! The movie had it moments, but they were not long-lasted and fell down into a drama-like-boring-conversations. The positive thing about this movie is that it's very well made and that the story is unique, beside the science in the movie, for example that the Chinese station just "fell out of it's orbit" and resulted in destruction and that you freeze instantly when exposed to vacuum, I mean come on, every kid that has an education knows that! and if you don't believe me...just search on the Internet on whats true & false about the science in Gravity!
    Overall is Gravity is a boring movie, even thought the story is great.
    Gravity gets a 5/10
  42. BKM
    Oct 5, 2013
    Gravity is a visual stunner that doesn't just expand the boundaries of what is possible with visual effects, it demolishes them. Praise must also be given to Sandra Bullock's fearless performance which gives the film its human heart. My only quibble, and it's a minor one, is that the film isn't quite as emotionally resonant as I would have liked. But that may prove to be a moot pointGravity is a visual stunner that doesn't just expand the boundaries of what is possible with visual effects, it demolishes them. Praise must also be given to Sandra Bullock's fearless performance which gives the film its human heart. My only quibble, and it's a minor one, is that the film isn't quite as emotionally resonant as I would have liked. But that may prove to be a moot point in the long run. Expand
  43. Oct 13, 2013
    A technical masterpiece by director Cuaron, this will sure wins a lot of Oscar nominations for the technical side of things, namely the gorgeous cinematography and its dazzling special effects. But will they recognize that one thing that really sets this apart in the first place a story about the human spirit, against impossible odds, and how it can rise time and time again......If theA technical masterpiece by director Cuaron, this will sure wins a lot of Oscar nominations for the technical side of things, namely the gorgeous cinematography and its dazzling special effects. But will they recognize that one thing that really sets this apart in the first place a story about the human spirit, against impossible odds, and how it can rise time and time again......If the Academy does recognize this, then it's a shoo in for other nominations that include Best Picture, Best Actress and Best Director......One of the best film of 2013.... Expand
  44. Oct 11, 2013
    “Gravity” stars Sandra Bullock, George Clooney and the voice of Ed Harris. As lacking as it is in the number of cast members, it is even more lacking in terms of entertainment. Director and co-writer Alfonso Cuaron has given us a film that is devoid of logic and reality. Although one must acknowledge the awesome scenes supposedly from outer space, this could all be achieved by watching“Gravity” stars Sandra Bullock, George Clooney and the voice of Ed Harris. As lacking as it is in the number of cast members, it is even more lacking in terms of entertainment. Director and co-writer Alfonso Cuaron has given us a film that is devoid of logic and reality. Although one must acknowledge the awesome scenes supposedly from outer space, this could all be achieved by watching the opening credits of “2001 A Space Oddysey” or attending an Imax film on the International Space Station.
    Ms. Bullock and Mr. Clooney just don’t belong in the movie since their portrayals are simply not believable.. In casting Ms. Bullock, the director no doubt remembered her in the film “Speed” and her attempt to control a runaway bus. Unfortunately, in this film, she is supposed to be more than an innocent passenger and, instead of a bus, she plays an astronaut attempting to control a damaged space ship. It just doesn’t work and the 91 minutes it takes to tell the story is much too long, even for a “woe-manned” (pun intended) space flight. Mr. Clooney’s participation is a puzzlement and, as for Ed Harris, he was smart enough not to be seen but only heard..As I watched the film I was aware of the large number of critics who literally loved this picture. Why, I do not know. As for me, I can only be grateful that I saw the film in 3D since the space images are the only redeeming features in it. For that reason I give the film a 6.5 for, without these scenes, it could well deserve less.
  45. Nov 23, 2014
    Gravity es una película que aunque contiene unos muy buenos efectos visuales a lo largo de la historia que abarca el film, contiene algunos fallos (no me refiero a lo técnico).

Este largometraje empieza bien, y continúa así hasta los primeros 15 minutos, luego de eso ya la película empieza a buscar soluciones para encajar bien las piezas del final, pero, esas soluciones hacen que la película se torne aburrida, simplona y fastidiosa hasta que llegan los últimos 15 minutos.

Así que, en general, Gravity es una película fastidiosa en donde si no has visto la película, solo basta con ver los primeros 15 minutos y los últimos 15 para entenderla bien.
  46. Dec 24, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Training an astronaut takes a whole lot of time and money. They are trained to deal with all sorts of calamities. How Sandra Bullock even made it through the first day of astronaut school is a mystery. She is in constant panic mode, which really gets utterly annoying after 10 minutes. The movie starts with a botched attempt by the Russians (of course) to shoot down one of their own satellites. Since when is that the way to retire a satellite Every time anybody retires a satellite, it is all over the news. Because it is crashed into the ocean. It is never ever shot down, that is not even technically possible. What is George Clooney doing in this movie Nobody knows, he just...dies, in a pathetic attempt to create heroism. The dialogue is awful all the way. Why is the ISS completely abandoned Why is she sitting there in that pod in her underwear She really is not a looker, she is almost 50, and I swear I could see the cellulitis on her legs. In all, given the utter flatness of her character, who cares if she makes it or not ?
    I simply do not see how this movie can get such a high rating.
  47. Mar 14, 2014
    Cinematically beautiful and tense. Gravity is a very exciting film to watch. It's one of those movies that will have you hooked until the end. Bullock and Clooney did adequate jobs in their respective roles. The only problems with this film are that the writing could have been done better. The main example of a way that it could have been better done is in the scene where ClooneyCinematically beautiful and tense. Gravity is a very exciting film to watch. It's one of those movies that will have you hooked until the end. Bullock and Clooney did adequate jobs in their respective roles. The only problems with this film are that the writing could have been done better. The main example of a way that it could have been better done is in the scene where Clooney reappears. He reappears in a guardian angle-like way and this scene is a large failing in a movie that done in a very real and tangible way up to this point. That being said there were no major flaws in the film just pieces that should have been touched up that could have made it flawless. Expand
  48. Jan 3, 2014
    An amazing film.
    The quality of the visuals is outstanding, all of the cast (even if there are only 3 of them) give brilliant performances, the plot may be thin but it's like nothing you have ever seen before and the score is totally immersing. It may not be better than Captain Phillips, but it is still a masterpiece.
  49. Apr 28, 2014
    With the perfect acting, simplicity of the storyline and most picturesque graffics, this is the greatest, most human suspensed and emotional sci-fi wonder of all time, so enjoy it while you can
  50. Oct 13, 2013
    Unlike anything I have ever seen before. And yes, I have seen 2001 a Space Odyssey. Just to see something original in today's market is a treat in itself. This movie it like taking a vacation. That is a vacation from the usual cliches, the usual jokes, the usual plot twists you get in a typical Hollywood movie out today. It is 91 minutes so it is just the right length to tell its story andUnlike anything I have ever seen before. And yes, I have seen 2001 a Space Odyssey. Just to see something original in today's market is a treat in itself. This movie it like taking a vacation. That is a vacation from the usual cliches, the usual jokes, the usual plot twists you get in a typical Hollywood movie out today. It is 91 minutes so it is just the right length to tell its story and get you out before you get tired. I really think it was the perfect time any longer and you might of remembered you were watching a movie. People are going to get awards for this one. Expand
  51. Apr 14, 2014
    The visuals alone are so stunning and gorgeous (10 out of 10) and they make me give the film an 8. I don´t even know how they made it. It´s real, it´s tense and it´s a crazy journey that should be epic in all fronts. But on the other hand I have some problems with it. The script/story is weak. There´s not much more to enjoy than the visuals. Let´s just say the story itself is average. TheThe visuals alone are so stunning and gorgeous (10 out of 10) and they make me give the film an 8. I don´t even know how they made it. It´s real, it´s tense and it´s a crazy journey that should be epic in all fronts. But on the other hand I have some problems with it. The script/story is weak. There´s not much more to enjoy than the visuals. Let´s just say the story itself is average. The most important thing in a film will always be the script , character development and the acting. No matter how good the rest of the things are, a film can´t get a 9 or 10 if it lacks (even if it´s on purpose, like probably in this case) a great script. That´s why I "only" give it an 8. The acting from Sandra Bullock surprised me. I have never appreciated her work, I don´t consider her one of the best actresses at all. But I have to admit she was very solid, great performance. Despite everything, it is a must see and it´s not long. You won´t regret watching it. It´s a fantastic adventure. Expand
  52. Oct 4, 2013
    Alfonso Cuaron’s new feature film, “Gravity,” a movie about an astronaut is on graveness space in his spectacular 3D experience. Mr. Cuaron has done previous films that I enjoy so much including “Y’Tu Mama Tambien,” “Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban,” and “Children of Men,” now he decides to make his latest space adventure about two astronauts were on the mission to repair theAlfonso Cuaron’s new feature film, “Gravity,” a movie about an astronaut is on graveness space in his spectacular 3D experience. Mr. Cuaron has done previous films that I enjoy so much including “Y’Tu Mama Tambien,” “Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban,” and “Children of Men,” now he decides to make his latest space adventure about two astronauts were on the mission to repair the satellite in outer space. Then, a probe pollution appears from nowhere and damages the satellite; however, the two astronauts split away in a dark gravity of space. One space scientist, Dr. Ryan Stone (Sandra Bullock), is on the loose and she has no way out to save herself in space. Dr. Stone decided to take care of herself and she needs to find a way to be safe, so she can come back home from earth. Mr. Cuaron makes a wonderful experiences to travel deep in outer space to see a beautiful atmosphere and an epic suspense for one the best films I ever seen.. Expand
  53. Nov 3, 2013
    The most over rated film since "Argo". This film is mediocre at best and I didn't care about Bulloch or Clooney. It is a one dimensional film that I cannot for the life of me understand why we have a 95 rating. Maybe somebody got paid off by the industry. Well, at least there were no aliens in it.
  54. Oct 7, 2013
    This movie is the JAWS of this generation. Gravity is a silly action movie, where the ignorant audience believes they are watching a real event happening in space. There are so many flaws in the science, I lost my disbelief. Yet, the visuals were stunning. But visuals alone, don't make a good movie. The story of Gravity was also bad, filled with clinches and up to the last minute escapes.This movie is the JAWS of this generation. Gravity is a silly action movie, where the ignorant audience believes they are watching a real event happening in space. There are so many flaws in the science, I lost my disbelief. Yet, the visuals were stunning. But visuals alone, don't make a good movie. The story of Gravity was also bad, filled with clinches and up to the last minute escapes.

The critics got this movie way wrong. A very big disappointment for me, when I thought I was going to see a serious science fiction movie. But all I got was a space circus drama.
  55. Oct 21, 2013
    Sandra and George terrific actors. Special Effects perfect. When the action actually came in it was impressive the story is good, but nothing really to pull you in I feel asleep 3 times. Boring characters.
    It's like Avatar when the action comes it's good, decent story, good actors (not acting), and amazing effects, but also like Avatar boring, predictable, and feels like it was written in a day. Why not a lot have been written in a day. I'd advice you to just look up the exciting stuff on YouTube, because the hype (unless you're the one to follow it) will let you down.
  56. Oct 7, 2013
    What can I say about this highly acclaimed movie? Gorgeous CGI-produced space, fabulous work of Sandra Bullock's plastic surgeon (for 49 she looks incredible).
    What else? H-m-m-m... Oh yeh! Sandra's hair style is perfect, especially considering that she is in weightlessness.
    I was bored mostly all the time. It reminded me a TNT ad "We know drama" where all action happens at the very possible moment. Kinda cheap. But again, the visuals and special effects were astounding.
  57. Oct 6, 2013
    "Gravity" is a directors film though and through. Alfonso Cuaron does a magnificent job of creating the feeling of being in space. When I was watching this movie, I really felt like I was drifting through space much like the characters as they tumbled and twirled around in the vast emptiness of the unknown. There’s a lot of quiet and somber moments in this film, mostly with the characters"Gravity" is a directors film though and through. Alfonso Cuaron does a magnificent job of creating the feeling of being in space. When I was watching this movie, I really felt like I was drifting through space much like the characters as they tumbled and twirled around in the vast emptiness of the unknown. There’s a lot of quiet and somber moments in this film, mostly with the characters floating around and just talking about their life. However, it’s always absorbing. As you’re drawn into the experience, you feel as if you are there with the characters witnessing everything first hand. The cinematography is quit brilliant and is a major factor in giving the sense of being in space. The camera masterfully spins and turns weightlessly in a way that it would in space without giving a dizzying feeling. My breath was also taken away a few times from the sheer beauty of some of the shots and how they were composed.

The script on the other hand is quit good as well. The story of letting go and moving on is handled well with a lot of attention to visual story telling. It gives us a real sense of the terrors and loneliness of space, a place were our screams can’t be heard. The themes of letting go are handled very well as we see the characters learn and grow. My gripe with the script would have to do with the dialogue. Some of the things the characters say either take me out of the film at times or make me feel like its unnecessary. The dialogue also sometimes felt like a crutch as it sometimes stated the obvious.

The cast is incredibly small, but it is no short of big names. George Clooney as Matt Kowalski gives a solid performance. Kowalski is a typical quick talking charmer that Clooney is so accustomed to playing, but the character does provide some of the lighter moments in the film. The real standout is Sandra Bullock as Ryan Stone. Ryan has a hard time letting go of the past as she had a terrible tragedy befall her. Bullock plays the character well with little quirks of uncertainty and gives us a very likable character that we can all cheer for.

Visually, this film is stunning and a treat for the eyes. From one jaw-dropping shot composition to the next, I was almost always in awe of what I was seeing. Space looked incredibly real and Cuaron and crew made everything look so seamless. The score isn’t bad either. It’s usually quiet, but when something goes down, it really aids in the terror and urgency of the situation. Not only that, but it can also be powerfully moving and uplift as well.

Overall, from a technical stand point, “Gravity” is a masterpiece. I was almost always in awe of what I was seeing and a lot of the credit goes to Alfonso Cuaron. He really gave us an experience that heightened our senses. From masterful cinematography to stunning visual effects, it is a treat for the eyes. Wonderful and unique shots are spread throughout this film and I really fell like I’ve never seen anything like this before. The only complain I have for this film is the dialogue. While interesting, I felt it didn’t fit well all the time with what we were watching. This movie was at its best when it was quiet. I give it an incredibly high 4/5, an experience.
  58. Nov 27, 2014
    Few ever films have showed that little and have expressed that much in that short amount of time. This is far beyond stars and universe... in its simplicity we can find grandeur, excellency. This movie is transcendental.
  59. Jul 9, 2014
    A great film with stunning visuals. It is a great watch in 3D on the big screen as you get the full effect and makes you feel like you are there. Average acting with some great dialogue. Bullock does a great job as she is alone for most of the movie and she makes the movie not boring and enjoyable to watch. Some of the best effects I have ever seen.
  60. Nov 17, 2013
    Sure, there are some scientific inaccuracies in the movie, but last time I checked, I watch fictions to be entertained. And so I was. Greatly. I saw the movie in 3D and, seriously, Cuaron is a genius filmmaker with impressive attention to details. By details I mean the most he can do without risking the entertainment aspect for scientific accuracies.

Sure, it's a little bit disturbing

Sure, it's a little bit disturbing to see how close all the space stations up there are, but I managed to deal with it by just simply assuming it has everything to do with Einstein's relativity theory. Or how it should've been next to impossible for many other things that happen in the movie to actually happen. But then again, this is a very entertaining work of art, smart-ass!
  61. Jan 31, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Before reading this, i want you to know that I've seen Gravity in 2D (Blueray) yes I'm that guy.
    Gravity is studding visual masterpiece even in 2D, i will definitely watch it in 3D if i had the chance to,
    the Story is a survival story nonetheless and Sandra Bullock acting was over the top,
    However i hated George Clooney, i know he suppose to be the fun factor in the movie,
    but he was terrible, and I'm talking about the performance and the character,
    i mean "I Hope NASA have insurance because there is a lot of damage" seriously?
    and he's out there telling stories and making space jokes, that's totally killed it for me,
    but I'm not gonna judge the entire movie because of a secondary character but i wish he didn't exist.
    The music was beautiful and the whole atmosphere is just remarkable,
    but i was disappointment because of the fact that the movie is one hour 20 minutes
    but overall a wonderful experience and a must watch movie.
  62. Oct 16, 2013
    Gravity is a first rate, charming but gripping complex drama, although claustrophobic, it is deep and absorbing, with dazzling effects, breathtaking performances, all in all, a fascinating, one of a kind ride, that you will stay with you for a long time. This film has real soul attached to it, you can feel the passionate making behind this film, the visuals are astonishing and look veryGravity is a first rate, charming but gripping complex drama, although claustrophobic, it is deep and absorbing, with dazzling effects, breathtaking performances, all in all, a fascinating, one of a kind ride, that you will stay with you for a long time. This film has real soul attached to it, you can feel the passionate making behind this film, the visuals are astonishing and look very real. The sequences are intense and gripping.You can easily connect with the film, because of the powerful performances and the gripping sequences, it is a legendary achievement. The cinematography is spellbinding, the soundtrack is fascinating, the visuals are dazzling, the performances are powerful yet complicated and thought provoking, the direction is masterful, I think that Alfonso Cuaron's Gravity is a remarkable Hollywood invention, a gripping and intense thriller, a masterful arty direction and a film that has a real soul. This is a type of a film that doesn't come every year. Expand
  63. Oct 5, 2013
    WoW!!!!! Absolutely loved it. I was so stressed in the cinema that sometime I closed my eyes because I couldn't see S.Bullock suffering so much. Very good movie, with a lot of suspense and action. In addition, it's very dramatic. Go see it!!!
  64. Apr 8, 2015
    gravity is amazing it is breathing how amazing this film I looks amazing . gravity does a lot of things right the charters are great the acting is great is just a great film.
  65. Oct 23, 2013
    This film is an eclectic blend of realism and science fiction. Much time, effort and money were spent to recreate the details of the space shuttle, the Hubble telescope, and the astronauts’ spacesuits and gear needed to space walk and do repairs on Hubble, one of many reasons astronauts were sent on shuttle missions. But realism is not always that interesting and sometimes is better suitedThis film is an eclectic blend of realism and science fiction. Much time, effort and money were spent to recreate the details of the space shuttle, the Hubble telescope, and the astronauts’ spacesuits and gear needed to space walk and do repairs on Hubble, one of many reasons astronauts were sent on shuttle missions. But realism is not always that interesting and sometimes is better suited for documentaries; thus, in order to have an interesting plot, at some point the film had to deviate into the realm of science fiction and throw realism to the winds.

This has caused a flurry of criticism about when and where the film drops its realistic venue and makes up scenarios that are not credible. Marsha Ivins, a former astronaut and veteran of five shuttle missions, has commented in depth, as has journalist Jeffrey Kluger, and my favorite, Neil deGrasse Tyson, astrophysicist and director of the NYC Hayden Planetarium, whose enthusiastic tweeting after viewing the film received much media attention.

Some obvious elements that could never occur are evident even to those of us who are not astronauts, such as Sandra Bullock (playing mission specialist Ryan Stone) floating about in a cute, form-fitting outfit that is basically underpants and a tank top, or seeing astronauts crash into structures as they try to grab onto parts of a spaceship while they are hurtling through space at speeds that look like 30 mph. They are miraculously unhurt except for a scratch on Bullock’s face. George Clooney plays astronaut Matt Kowalski, and the chemistry between him and Bullock is one of the best parts of this movie, next to the special effects. The script is presumably recreating the kind of authentic banter that astronauts really would have with each other, as well as the dialogue they would have with the voice of Mission Control from Earth, addressed only by the impersonal name “Houston” (whose voice is that of Ed Harris, which makes sense since he was Houston in Apollo 13).

SPOILER PARAGRAPH: Unfortunately, although Bullock and Clooney are a perfect pair of smooth-talking, unfazed, and brilliant astronauts, Clooney exits the script quite early on, as he detaches his tether from his crewmate so that she can live, which leaves him doomed to float away into oblivion. At that point Bullock’s character reports to Houston that she is the sole survivor of the mission. And from then on Bullock carries the entire film by herself, except for one dream sequence where Clooney reappears briefly. Bullock’s acting requires a lot of gasping, grunting, heavy breathing and many monologues as she talks to herself to maintain her sanity. It is an acting tour de force and will probably win her an Oscar nomination. END SPOILER.

The space shuttles have been retired, and the program was officially ended in 2011. Back in July, I stood next to Discovery at the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum. It was surprisingly small, almost fragile, and although it must have been cleaned up to be put on display in the museum, the outer shell still showed charred and blackened areas. Discovery did not inspire awe, but looked more like someone’s beat-up Buick that was already 30 years old. Although many missions were completed successfully, two of them never came back, and while standing next to Discovery and staring up at this modest vehicle, it occurred to me that every astronaut who ever flew a shuttle mission took their lives into their hands.
  66. Aug 23, 2014
    It was an ok movie, very average. Some parts were boring and some were great. The 3d and visual effects were great. Both main actors are veterans so no complaints there.
  67. Mar 7, 2014
    Just watched the 3D version on my 55-in LG 3D HDTV and I can understand why the reviews run hot and cold. I give it high marks for the technically challenging and amazing cinematics but lower marks for the pacing of the story, though it was sprinkled with fantastic moments of sheer stress and terror. Films like this just bring home how awesome we are in creating such fantastic cinematicJust watched the 3D version on my 55-in LG 3D HDTV and I can understand why the reviews run hot and cold. I give it high marks for the technically challenging and amazing cinematics but lower marks for the pacing of the story, though it was sprinkled with fantastic moments of sheer stress and terror. Films like this just bring home how awesome we are in creating such fantastic cinematic experiences. Whether or not you like the actors or the story's plausibility you cannot help but be in awe of the photo-realistic visuals, you could not ask for a more realistic experience of low-earth orbit space events. I did appreciate that Dr Stone had to struggle for her life even after splashdown, that the screenplay didn't cop out on an easier ending. Will I watch it again, not likely, but the experience was memorable, akin to visiting a high-line museum, it's something you'll do once and be awed but it's not likely to be repeated. Expand
  68. Oct 15, 2013
    The cinematography and effects were astounding, and Sandra Bullock does a great job in her role. The more action-like scenes were gripping, and you just can't help but feel fear for the character's that you just met. The director did a great job not forcing suspense, but creating it quite naturally.
  69. Jan 21, 2015
    Visually Impressive but really that's all there is to it. Alfonso Cuaron's space opus is 90 mins of Sandra Bullock explaining the plot to herself. The film is literally devoid of ideas.
  70. Oct 27, 2013
    As everybody knows there are only two actors in the movie and they wear spacesuits and helmets most of the time. Therefore, acting and human interaction are not the key. Personally, I think too much time was given to Sandra Bullock and her dramatic situation. Clooney would have provided some buoyancy and made the movie more interesting character-wise.

If I have to point out one major

If I have to point out one major defect, I found it silly to have Bullock look so good, with no sign of injuries or dirtiness and with her hair perfectly combed. Yes, she was mercifully make-up free, but otherwise she looked like she had just stepped out of her bed after a refreshing night’s sleep.

For me, the film is an ode to the beauty and dangers of space, the only “virgin” territory left to explore. I used to think that being an astronaut was great, but I had to reconsider. Besides, the film is an example of 3D put to good use. The three-dimensional effects worked wonders in most sequences.

We see earth and all the meteorological events we observe from down here, we see sunrise from an astonishing angle, small objects float towards us and we even get the “personal” point of view of gazing through the helmet of one astronaut. The soundtrack was also great, underlying dramatic moments without being too bombastic.

There was also a major technical blunder which you can found out by yourself, but on the whole I must confess I am a sucker for movies set in space where the space is the main character and I got totally lost in this one.
  71. Nov 29, 2013
    I went to see this movie with a group of friends, and my original thought was that it was going to be bad. But when I got there and saw it in 3D, my afterwards reaction was that it was amazing. It had perfect graphics and a great acting scale. It also kept you isolated from Earth the entire movie, which made it more intense. The music was a bit loud, but I thought it was fine for a movieI went to see this movie with a group of friends, and my original thought was that it was going to be bad. But when I got there and saw it in 3D, my afterwards reaction was that it was amazing. It had perfect graphics and a great acting scale. It also kept you isolated from Earth the entire movie, which made it more intense. The music was a bit loud, but I thought it was fine for a movie of that scale. Expand
  72. Feb 12, 2014
    Overrated seems to be wrong. Words like "intense, gripping, breathtaking, beautiful" I've read in some reviews serve as perfect antonyms for what my opinion about the film was. Yet another splendid cinematography (it gets a 2 because of that, otherwise it would be a nice round 0) used for all the wrong reasons. I really don't understand why the critics loved it so much, this has flaws inOverrated seems to be wrong. Words like "intense, gripping, breathtaking, beautiful" I've read in some reviews serve as perfect antonyms for what my opinion about the film was. Yet another splendid cinematography (it gets a 2 because of that, otherwise it would be a nice round 0) used for all the wrong reasons. I really don't understand why the critics loved it so much, this has flaws in every direction you look at it.

My favourite reviews, especially, are the ones that refer to the film as "realistic", which is nonsense and I don't think I should explain why. The acting is horrible, and honestly I was expecting a little more from Clooney, who's been doing a lot of decent stuff recently. Sandra Bullock's gasps will be everything you hear for a good hour, and I take it they had to write them all down in the screenplay to get it to two pages.

No character development, same trite space story. The struggle for survival and blah blah, while everything I wished was for Sandra Bullock to die already.

Do not give money to this kind of cinema because you help boasting their income and encourage them to continue on this line, and we've had enough of that.
  73. Jan 4, 2015
    This film in IMAX in 3D is easily a 9, but when downgrading to dvd which most people will get now or even Bluray it has to come down to a 7. The story is very simple but then again it is meant to be a disaster movie. The acting is great by Sandra Bullock and George Clooney and both hold the film with no other character really needed. The exposition to some characters back storiea are aThis film in IMAX in 3D is easily a 9, but when downgrading to dvd which most people will get now or even Bluray it has to come down to a 7. The story is very simple but then again it is meant to be a disaster movie. The acting is great by Sandra Bullock and George Clooney and both hold the film with no other character really needed. The exposition to some characters back storiea are a little forced and dull but nothing too majorly wrong with that. The visuals are BEAUTIFUL, best part of the film easily! Additionally, Alfonso Cuaron uses his trademark long tracking shots which look awesome in this film by the way, but i still see his best work as Children of Men. Lastly, the ending and what it was meant to be symbolising was so obvious that i must admit it is kinda painful to watch, but i can see where they were going with it. Expand
  74. Oct 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Uno sciame di detriti spaziali fa cascare come birilli tutti gli oggetti orbitanti che trova sul suo cammino. Il primo uno Shuttle, fuori dal quale il comandante Kowalski (Clooney) e l'ingegnere medico Stone (Bullock) stanno eseguendo delle riparazioni. Passata la buriana, i due si ritrovano a essere gli unici sopravvissuti e iniziano una corsa contro il tempo e i detriti per cercare di tornare sulla Terra: appoggiandosi prima a una stazione internazionale e poi a una cinese, solo lei riesce nell'impresa dopo che lui si sacrificato per regalarle una possibilità. Il nuovo film del messicano Cuarón un ‘survivor’ spaziale costruito con grande abilità visiva e con una scrittura solida che, specie nella prima parte, fa trattenere più di una volta il fiato. La fantascienza (abbastanza poco ‘fanta’, oltretutto) solo uno sfondo su cui dipingere ammalianti panorami spaziali e raccontare una storia di resistenza umana fino ai limiti e anche un po’ oltre, premiata alla fine da una sorta di nascita a nuova vita attraverso le difficoltà, con Stone che esce barcollando da un lago sconosciuto in una terra all'apparenza selvaggia (e si spera che qualcuno trovi il modo di localizzarla). Ma torniamo fra le stelle, dove pulsa il cuore del film. Le scene spaziali, meticolosamente costruite al computer prima di sovrapporvi i volti degli attori, sono di grande efficacia, tanto da giustificare per una volta e almeno in parte le tre dimensioni: sarebbero però sola decorazione come, tanto per fare un esempio recente, in ‘Upside down’ se la storia, seppur costruita su elementi minimi, non funzionasse a dovere tenendo vivo l'interesse dello spettatore ben aldilà delle immagini. A voler guardare il pelo nell'uovo, risulta più efficace la prima parte, dove interagiscono il logorroico Kowalski e la più riservata (oltre che inesperta) Stone, segnata da una tragedia familiare: quando il primo se ne vola via ad ammirare le stelle, rimane in scena la sola dottoressa che prima con la razionalità e l'addestramento, poi con la forza della disperazione affronta il caldo e il freddo, il russo e il cinese (intesi come lingue) per cercare di tornare a casa. Nei suoi panni, Sandra Bullock offre una prova davvero convincente, dove il ritratto di una donna che trova le energie necessarie nel superamento delle proprie fragilità più importante di pur notevoli esibizioni atletiche che farebbero invidia a Bruce Willis. Al suo fianco, Clooney a parte una breve scena, quasi solo una voce grazie alla quale l'attore gigioneggia un po’ sfruttando la parlantina kowalskiana chissà poi se il nome stato dato a caso o c’è qualche legame con l’omonimo di ‘Punto zero’ mentre dal controllo missione di Houston si fa sentire (poco) Ed Harris, che fu John Glenn in ‘Uomini veri’. Si tratta però di figure ai margini, quale più o quale meno, perché gli unici veri protagonisti del film restano Stone e la limpida visione dello spazio esterno, dove nessuno può sentirti urlare la mancanza di rumore nel vuoto rispettata ma si può vivere, e far vivere, un'avventura emozionante: in novanta minuti ‘Gravity’ non inventa nulla dal punto di vista narrativo (da quello visivo sì, ma, come già detto, non sarebbe abbastanza) ma sa raccontare, senza intoppi o altre sbavature che non siano qualche dialogo un po’ così, una vecchia e bella storia. Expand
  75. Oct 23, 2013
    This film could be summed up in one sentence "The Power of Simplicity", because the script is so simple that if another director surely spoil the movie, but the form is so beautiful Cuaron directed and acted in and takes only ones in the first person what makes the movie very tense but also very entertaining, this sure Sandra Bulock the Bullet film acting in one of his best performancesThis film could be summed up in one sentence "The Power of Simplicity", because the script is so simple that if another director surely spoil the movie, but the form is so beautiful Cuaron directed and acted in and takes only ones in the first person what makes the movie very tense but also very entertaining, this sure Sandra Bulock the Bullet film acting in one of his best performances and possible Oscar nominee, but the best scenes are the ones that George Clooney appears with his ironic way and firm Expand
  76. Oct 9, 2013
    Realistic (to some degree) space movie at last, thanks to senior Alfonso Cuaron! The best thing about it is the visuals and the thrilling atmosphere. As for the narrative, let's just say it's not the strongest side of "Gravity"! Even though some laws of physics has been violated for the sake of plot, it is one of the best picture of 2013!
  77. Oct 7, 2013
    I strangled my popcorn bag from the tension. i have to watch again and i will definitely be buying it. Really well done CG 2 years this has been in the works and it shows.
  78. Oct 5, 2013
    Amazing visual effects/CGI and the whole atmosphere of what it's like being in space is done nicely. However, the performances are passable at best Clooney's role is basically a cameo. Bullock... she's not exactly my favorite actress, but I know she's capable and skilled. But I didn't find her performance here to be as highly acclaimed as some people are thinking perhaps because theAmazing visual effects/CGI and the whole atmosphere of what it's like being in space is done nicely. However, the performances are passable at best Clooney's role is basically a cameo. Bullock... she's not exactly my favorite actress, but I know she's capable and skilled. But I didn't find her performance here to be as highly acclaimed as some people are thinking perhaps because the character she portrays is annoyingly inept and stupidly lucky for an astronaut. The characters don't have depth to them, mostly because you're not given enough time to get invested before the hits the fan. Not to mention you barely get enough background to connect either so all you really know are their names and the fact that one has been on more missions than the other.

For a movie that's supposed to depict the realism of being in space and the potential dangers, the number of stupid, ridiculous and forced moments (though the movie would've been much shorter if they didn't) were more than enough for me to find myself criticizing nearly everything as I was simply left unimpressed and frustrated at what I was seeing on-screen. As one negative reviewer has said the basic rules of physics and space travel are oft bent or ignored.

Thriller? Edge of your seat? Perhaps for some who haven't seen the many flaws in this movie and who have never seen videos or played video games depicting what real space is like. There was, in my opinion, one or two moments where it was rather thrilling, but other than that the rest of the movie was bland and, as I've already mentioned, frustratingly stupid.

I regret spending the extra money to watch this in IMAX 3D.
  79. Apr 13, 2015
    This movie is insane...Just insane. The effects and the acting are the best part of the movie. I mean, Sandra Bullock did get nominated for best actress for this, and rightly so as you can really feel her sense of distress and terror. Although the writing isn't that strong, Sandra Bullock does great with what she is given and the effects are mind-blowing, especially in IMAX. 8/10 (Great)
  80. Jan 20, 2014
    While the movie has some of the dialogues that are forgetable and its story is not Oscar-worthy, Gravity's cinematography and visual effects will take your breath away since Avatar and this movie will only be loved by people who appreciate its beauty.
  81. Nov 14, 2013
    Gravity is by far the best movie I have seen in years. The special effects ate awesome, the suspense is killer, and the action leaves you stunned. Gravity will earn several Oscars, at least in special effects. And if you do see it, make sure it's in 3D, otherwise you won't enjoy it nearly as much.
  82. Dec 22, 2014
    Gravity teaches kids not to be astronauts,Ahhaha Joke.Gravity Is just stunning especially 3D !The Movie is terrifying in some ways is because you feel you're they're struggling to survive!!
  83. Oct 9, 2013
    Gravity is like a roller-coaster ride once on your heart starts to accelerate faster and faster your blood starts to boil your skin starts to crawl your palms start to sweat over and over until the final moment when the ride ends and then after the rush of adrenaline all you wanna do is get back on enjoy the thrill again. Gravity is an amazing film its so beautiful and tense through outGravity is like a roller-coaster ride once on your heart starts to accelerate faster and faster your blood starts to boil your skin starts to crawl your palms start to sweat over and over until the final moment when the ride ends and then after the rush of adrenaline all you wanna do is get back on enjoy the thrill again. Gravity is an amazing film its so beautiful and tense through out the whole film i was stuck to the set my eyes wide open i felt as if i was been punched in the head repetitively over and over again as conflict and more conflict blasted on to the screen, Gravity is a masterpiece their was no dull moments the film just blew me away i was truly amazed. 10/10 would bang, ohh and also the acting was really good besides the main character who in my opinion seemed to be rather board with her acting, this is what it looked like to me anyway, overall it was more the fact that i felt as if i was in space and was truly being challenged to survive it was such a great atmosphere. Expand
  84. Jan 28, 2015
    Visually, "Gravity" is a work of art. It is serene, eerie, and captivating. As a storytelling piece, however, it is serene, eerie, and captivating only for the first half-hour. After that point, it becomes a series of repetitive set pieces drifting towards a predictable outcome that simply isn't exciting and lacks enough substance to anchor the spectacle, despite Sandra Bullock's bestVisually, "Gravity" is a work of art. It is serene, eerie, and captivating. As a storytelling piece, however, it is serene, eerie, and captivating only for the first half-hour. After that point, it becomes a series of repetitive set pieces drifting towards a predictable outcome that simply isn't exciting and lacks enough substance to anchor the spectacle, despite Sandra Bullock's best efforts. My first viewing, I had a much higher opinion of this film, swept up in the hype surrounding it and blinded by its technical accomplishment. My second viewing, issues with the story (or lack of) were magnified and severely detracted from the film. Expand
  85. Jan 4, 2015
    Una obra visual, una excelente película de ciencia ficción, se une a la lista de las mejores pelicular de todos los tiempos. Alfonso Cuaron a hecho el mejor trabajo de su carrera, visualmente (hablando de la cámara, el chivo es un maestro y por supuesto de los efectos) Gravedad es de las mejores películas del 2013, de las mejores películas de todos los tiempos y de las que debes de verUna obra visual, una excelente película de ciencia ficción, se une a la lista de las mejores pelicular de todos los tiempos. Alfonso Cuaron a hecho el mejor trabajo de su carrera, visualmente (hablando de la cámara, el chivo es un maestro y por supuesto de los efectos) Gravedad es de las mejores películas del 2013, de las mejores películas de todos los tiempos y de las que debes de ver antes de morir. Expand
  86. Oct 14, 2013
    The film is an outstanding success on many levels. The cinematography is phenomenal. You can't help but be deeply immersed in what''s happening. The debris look as if they are coming directly at you. You can feel the desperation in Sandra Bullock's character. This intense feeling wouldn't have been possible if not for the cinematography, as well as Alfonso Cuarón's masterful directing.The film is an outstanding success on many levels. The cinematography is phenomenal. You can't help but be deeply immersed in what''s happening. The debris look as if they are coming directly at you. You can feel the desperation in Sandra Bullock's character. This intense feeling wouldn't have been possible if not for the cinematography, as well as Alfonso Cuarón's masterful directing.

Then there's the acting. George Clooney gives a great performance, but it's Sandra Bullock that truly shines. She gives what is perhaps the most brilliant performance of her career as Dr. Ryan Stone, a woman who lost her daughter in a schoolyard accident, tries to commit suicide amid the hopelessness of her situation, then, in the face of inevitable death, finds the will to survive and live. She deserves, at least, an Oscar nomination for this role.

However, i believe that if a movie is to be considered a classic, like this one is currently being hailed as, It needs to stick in your head for many years after viewing it. And for that, it needs to have many things. One of them, like memorable visuals, the movie does have in spades.

But it doesn't make you see the world in a different light. The movie is about hope, and yet it's message doesn't sink in like in other films with similar subject matter, such as The Shawshank Redemption. It isn't thought-provoking. Dr. Ryan Stone feels underdeveloped. Only Sandra Bullock's exceptional performance breathes life into that bland character, and that bland character is a result of poor dialogue and way-too-simple plot. The score isn't that good as well.

Overall, i really really liked this film. It's technically fantastic. Sandra Bullock is awesome. But you need more than that to create a classic. A little bit overrated.
  87. Oct 15, 2013
    "Gravity" is not only a beautiful, visual and science-fiction film, it's more than that. Alfonso Cuarón has created pure 7th art. It has emotiional weight, life toil and spiritual philosophy Sandra Bullock is great, I think that Ryan Stone is her best role in her filmography. George Clooney is a cool Jiminy Cricket in this film. It's curious, this film is now but already is classic.
  88. Oct 4, 2013
    It's really good, just not great. Obviously it is beautifully shot and directed; I can say I've been to space and now never have to actually go up there. Bullock is really great with her emotional bits and Clooney gives the film a unique balance. You HAVE to see it on the big screen, just go in with regular expectations. For every great scene in the film, there is a 5 minute transition toIt's really good, just not great. Obviously it is beautifully shot and directed; I can say I've been to space and now never have to actually go up there. Bullock is really great with her emotional bits and Clooney gives the film a unique balance. You HAVE to see it on the big screen, just go in with regular expectations. For every great scene in the film, there is a 5 minute transition to said scene. Expand
  89. Mar 30, 2014
    The visual experience is tremendous. Awe-inspiring. Something that deserves to be seen on a large screen and in 3D. The soundtrack is an equally chilling accompaniment.

The plot itself blends many realistic elements with bits of fantasy. The hurtling space junk is scary enough that most viewers won't stop to ask why a medical doctor is flying in space and repairing a satellite, or why in the vastness of the Earth's orbit everything is so close together. The central narrative is a classic survival narrative of a blip of humanity up against the vastness of nature. It approaches greatness, save for an unnecessary intrusion of sentimentality that creeps in towards the end.

Still, a finely crafted and enjoyable film.
  90. Jul 15, 2014
    Of course it's well made, but one of the great triumphs of Gravity is that it is a non-violent, scientific and enlightening action drama. I challenge you to find an equally exciting, bombastic movie with as much love for humanity's abilities.
  91. Apr 5, 2015
    An amazing speed arch down into oblivion, Gravity shatters our imagination with lots of intensive and thematic elements throughout almost the entire film, that by the end I thought I was going to have a heart attack.

The film was chillingly spectacular, though some effects weren't realistic I kind of enjoyed the original IMAX format more than ever, with a superb directing by Alfonso Cuaron and volunteering performances by Sandra Bullock and George Clooney, this is probably will be the first of a new kind of disaster film in a dimension where there is no air to breathe.

I put this in my best sci-fi films list, and will be remembering (and probably also traumatized) the experience I had watching this in my downtown cinema!!
  92. May 23, 2015
    A fantastic spectacle in terms of intense scenes full of top-notch CGI. The acting, despite the minimal dialogue, is clearly good and the story is very simplistic but entertaining. It's absolutely worth at least one watch, as it's a quality adventure from the all-is-normal beginning to the been-through-hell ending. It isn't a masterpiece, though. I don't feel it deserves a score of 96 butA fantastic spectacle in terms of intense scenes full of top-notch CGI. The acting, despite the minimal dialogue, is clearly good and the story is very simplistic but entertaining. It's absolutely worth at least one watch, as it's a quality adventure from the all-is-normal beginning to the been-through-hell ending. It isn't a masterpiece, though. I don't feel it deserves a score of 96 but it's still at least an 8/10, if not an 8.5/10. However, it doesn't quite have the same effect on blu-ray as it did in the theater. I recommend you watch it on as large a TV as possible. Expand
  93. Jan 16, 2014
    This movie is great, it is perfect, a masterpiece, the movie made me feel like I was in space, the 3D was actually pretty good in fact it's the best I've seen ever, Sandra Bullock, and Alfonso Cuaròn deserve an Oscar for doing their best work, so this is my favorite movie of 2013, It is an 10/10 it is just perfect.
  94. Mar 15, 2014
    I'm sorry but this film is overrated. It's enjoyable... But overrated. All it is most of the time is Sandra Bullock breathing. Thats pretty much it. There's nothing much to it.
  95. Oct 5, 2013
    I was very disappointed with this movie. I was expecting much better, but this was by no standards a terrible movie. It just could have been much better. Two things I loved in this movie were the cinematography as a whole and the action sequences. The effects were good and the camera angles/shots were fantastic, and the action sequences were well-produced. However, this does not make upI was very disappointed with this movie. I was expecting much better, but this was by no standards a terrible movie. It just could have been much better. Two things I loved in this movie were the cinematography as a whole and the action sequences. The effects were good and the camera angles/shots were fantastic, and the action sequences were well-produced. However, this does not make up for this movie's mediocre plot. The story was extremely repetitive, very simple, and somewhat boring. Along with the underachieving plot, I thought that Clooney's acting was uninspired and lazy, Bullock over-acted to the point that she got very annoying and unconvincing, there was minimal character development, and I did not feel any sympathy for the characters. While this movie had some of the best cinematography I have seen in a while, the rest of it was poorly done. This movie is not worthy of any oscars other than cinematography, and truly is not worth your time. Expand
  96. May 1, 2014
    Well made, Well acted, stunning visuals, but there's something that just doesn't work to make this a wonderful journey to space, maybe is the tedious plot at several parts of the film, but still is a watchable film.
  97. Oct 27, 2013
    I've been anticipating this film for 2+ years when hearing Cuaron's ambitious intentions for it, and it's worth the wait. Finally a film that utilizes 3D technology, adding without interfering to the story at hand. Cuaron's "Gravity" takes us to a world few have ever experienced, and even fewer will ever experience. See it in 3D.
  98. Oct 26, 2013
    Gravity attempts to portray what astronauts would actually encounter on space missions, how space walks would actually unfold, and the hostility of the environment of space towards anything resembling Earthling life.

The ninety or so minutes of Gravity are the linear unfolding of a series of destructive events in the lives of Astronauts Ryan (Sandra Bullock) and Kowalski (George Clooney). Director’s Alfonso Cuarón’s hones in on these destructive events, treating them as a single, passing moment in time. A moment of crisis.

As far as doing anything in space is ever considered routine, Gravity opens with a group of astronauts undertaking what seem to be standard, routine repairs to the outside of their ship. The tone is jovial, if not a little tense as Clooney zips around the ship’s vicinity with a jet pack jokingly. He wants to break the current space walk record of seventy-five minutes. But Mission Control suddenly issues a warning. A massive field of space debris is headed straight for them.

From here on, only chaos reigns as Cuarón begins to eliminate all probable positive outcomes, one by one. After the astronaut’s ship is destroyed beyond repair Ryan and Kowalski attempt to propel themselves a floatable distance to a space station. As they push forward through space’s vacuum, towards their beacon of hope, space’s vastness and hostility are emphasized, along with their minisculity; “I hate space,” says Ryan somewhat lightheartedly. This comes after she has just been precariously saved from a perpetual spinning away into deep space, a particularly claustrophobic moment of the film, or rather, a moment in extreme of claustrophobia’s exact opposite.

Gravity has all the individual parts of a film rated high, near a 10, but once the parts are assembled, the whole is not equal to the parts. Even though the film is shot in space, and is set to depict a realistic portrayal of how events like these could take place, the film is really just about Ryan, a single human’s struggle to survive, and then with this revelation the epic space setting becomes incidental.

Problem: Ryan is not an interesting character. She seems ill prepared for such a dangerous space mission, and when she talks about her daughter, in a moment that I assume is used to attempt to ground the film in reality by showing us the why, we don’t care about her daughter. The current situation at hand is much more interesting. Including this talk about life back home was a mistake that took me out of the moment. I don’t care about Earth here; I care about this amazing crisis taking place just above Earth. A space movie should emphasize themes bigger than the individual. The mission should be more important than the life of the astronaut. Simply making it back to Earth alive is not an exciting enough conclusion.

Although maybe the best of her career, Bullock still delivers a subpar portrayal of a character that is herself subpar. I loved Cuarón’s Children of Men and I feel here Cuarón’s work is great. From a technical perspective, Cuarón’s filmmaking is incredible, the cinematography stunning, the portrayal of space amazing, so what went wrong? Besides a storyline that fails to transcend human matters, a factor that Cuarón may have been able to gloss over under different circumstances, when a film centers on a single actor, and that actor is Sandra Bullock, to quote Yeats “Things fall apart; the center cannot hold.”
  99. Sep 5, 2014
    Gravity is a mind blowing looking movie about two astronauts trying to get back to earth after an unfortunate incident.With outstanding visuals and great performances, Alfonso Cuarón succeeds in entertaining you with this fantastic claustrophobic thriller.
  100. Apr 14, 2014
    Let me just start out by saying that I am completely baffled by the 96/100 critic score that this got. Either the critics were stoned (like the composer for the movie was) when they watched this, or they were paid. Seriously though, for 75% of the film you're ears are stuck listening to the same 5 second loop of a terrible piece of "music"(?) being pounded into your brain while watchingLet me just start out by saying that I am completely baffled by the 96/100 critic score that this got. Either the critics were stoned (like the composer for the movie was) when they watched this, or they were paid. Seriously though, for 75% of the film you're ears are stuck listening to the same 5 second loop of a terrible piece of "music"(?) being pounded into your brain while watching Sandra Bullock being catapulted around space. That's pretty much the entire film for you. There, I saved you the rental money. Expand

1. Reviewed by: James Mottram
    Nov 3, 2013
    A stunning space saga that takes off for new technical frontiers without leaving its humanity behind.
  2. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Oct 6, 2013
    Gravity is not a film of ideas, like Kubrick's techno-mystical "2001," but it's an overwhelming physical experience -- a challenge to the senses that engages every kind of dread. [7 Oct. 2013, p.88]
  3. Reviewed by: Dana Stevens
    Oct 4, 2013
    This is not to say that Gravity is a masterpiece: Unlike Cuarón’s extraordinary "Children of Men", it doesn’t quite pull off its ambitious effort to combine formal inventiveness, heart-pounding action, and intimate human storytelling. But it succeeds thrillingly at the first two of those categories, and only misses the mark on the last because it tries a little too hard — which is certainly a welcome respite from the countless sci-fi thrillers that privilege the human story not at all.