7.8

1. Ozy
    Mar 2, 2015
    There really wasn't much of a 'movie' here. This was more like dot points to what will happen if certain events took place in space whilst you were space walking. If it were based on a true story i wouldn't have expected anything more than what it was, in fact i would have scored a lot higher. But it wasn't, it was made up. And that is my problem, there could have been a little more storyThere really wasn't much of a 'movie' here. This was more like dot points to what will happen if certain events took place in space whilst you were space walking. If it were based on a true story i wouldn't have expected anything more than what it was, in fact i would have scored a lot higher. But it wasn't, it was made up. And that is my problem, there could have been a little more story telling more feeling maybe some romance etc. I loved the visual aspect and thought the acting was great. In fact i thought it was made really well, just needed more story telling, it felt bland. Expand
  2. Feb 25, 2015
    I saw nothing special about this film, if I admit that the effects are great but the plot is very limited and that end is very simple, I cannot see what all they commented on it.
  3. Feb 19, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Okay, so, obviously, there are a lot of people that did not like the movie. While they're entitled to their own opinions, I think the biggest reason for their disappointment are these two reasons: the plot, and the actual "science" of the film

First, we'll start off with the plot. Really, the entire basis of the plot is that, during a space walk, a large debris field is created that threatens the lives of all the people that are on the United Sates' Explorer (a rocket). That's it. But, if you look a little deeper, you'll see that there's more to it than that. You see, the story is really character driven. You're supposed to care for Ryan Stone (Sandra Bullock) and Matt Kowalski (George Clooney). The story is entirely about Stone. It is about her learning to live life instead of just "driving," or in other words, just living. After she lost her daughter, she never fully coped. In fact, she just went as life went. Job, space, whatever. They were just things to her. Nothing was really important other than her job. But when she is in space, her problems become clearer, and she is able to deal with them. My favorite part of the movie is actually when, after being untethered from her companion, she falls asleep in the fetal position. In this scene, the tether is seen in the background, giving the appearance of a fetus; it's symbolism of her being reborn. Now, to me, there were really two separate plots, the first, the debris cloud, was very weak; however, the second, the story of her coming to grips with her daughter's death, was very strong. In fact, it is the strongest part of the film, and it is the reason that critics fell in love with it. I think that the people who don't like the movie either missed this plot, or they could not connect with it. I was someone who could connect with it, and very easily so.

Now, the second complaint about the movie is the "science" part of it. Firstly, there are many errors that were made mostly with the physics. Actually, the whole premise of the space debris cloud is impossible. The locations of the Chinese and Russian stations are also changed to match the plot. What I don't understand about this complaint is the fact that this movie is "science fiction." Because it is fiction, as a movie writer, they changed facts. Actually, the definition of science fiction means that it is based off of a future (unless it is in the present) that has imagined scientific advancements and technologies. Now, technically speaking, a movie can change the facts of life. If someone wanted to make a movie where the was absolutely no gravity on earth, they could do that. If they wanted to make a movie where water was really soda, they could do that as well. Just because they made many changes from actual reality does not make this a bad film. Sure, you can easily spot what they got wrong, but if you do that, you'll miss all of the things that they got right!

Now, for my actual review. This movie is beautiful. I mean, it contains some of the most beautiful images ever captured on film. Earth viewed by from space is a stunning back drop. Actually, space itself is beautiful in this movie. However, what I thought they did very well was that they took something beautiful (the stillness and awe inspiring aspects of earth and space) and they showed us that it is equally as dangerous as it is beautiful. That, despite us being able to go to space, with out the things we've created, there is no possible way to stay alive there. That it is dangerous. That it is an endless wall of black, and that when untethered, we will float endlessly to our deaths in it.

Other than the beauty, what I thought was best about this movie was the drama. Sure, the special effects are great, but the depth of the characters were amazing. We only got to see the shell of Ryan Stone until the very end of the movie. The biggest thing that stuck out to me was that by the end, she still didn't care whether she lived or died. But the reasons for that changed. She didn't care because she knew she was trying, and she knew that she was fighting, and because of those two reasons, she knew that she was living. She'd finally dealt with her problems and she was at ease. She knew that it didn't matter anymore because her life had been well lived: she had had a daughter, she had gone to space, she had survived for as long as she had, and if she died, at least she'd be doing it while feeling alive.

So, at the end of the movie, when she finally takes her last steps, she knows that she made it. That she gets a second chance to live her life. That she's no longer going to be "just riding." And that is her greatest triumph as she takes her first steps on earth. The promise of her new life that could have only been achieved by going through the travesty of surviving her ordeal in space. And those final steps, paired with the emotional score, are the most triumphant final steps taken from any movie. And if you can see that, you'll enjoy it as well.
  4. Feb 16, 2015
    boring movie, good looking if not enough, if i want see earth from space without history, i can see nasa channel. anyway,this movie is worth see it, just for the awesome images from space. you can put mute.
  5. Feb 7, 2015
    Critic reviews are way too high. I admit, the effects are very real and interesting but the concept is so boring. The girl is a great actor, but the thrills of imminent death just aren't enough to make up for the emptiness of space and the movie itself.
  6. Feb 5, 2015
    Earth to Sandra B

Earth to Sandra B

All the praise for Gravity is pretty much warranted. It's a refreshing and original, almost real-time, almost science-factual, not-too-outer- space thriller. But not enough credit has been given to Sandra Bullock. I've never been a big fan of Ms B. I passed her off as a light-weight Rom-Com ditz with a pretty face. She recently won a Best Actor Oscar for a film I have no intention of ever watching. She's just a tad too airy and fluffy for my taste. But she manages to weigh in with gravitas in Gravity and pull off a harrowing yet seemingly effortless performance. She's in frame for most of the 90 minutes and we never tire of watching her. Above all, and the true mark of a great performance, you can't imagine anyone else playing the role. The part was originally slated for the overrated Angelina Jolie, but i can't imagine Jolie giving it much credibility. Bullock's performance is delicate and well-balanced here, very physical in her desperate attempts for survival, yet intimate and understated, considering the circumstances. I was surprised by the way she carried the movie, alone for the most part (accompanied by Emmanuel Lubezki's glorious weightless and wandering camera floating in and out of close ups and stalking and twirling around her obsessively), talking to herself, trying to hang on to her sanity and maintain her wits to keep alive to return to earth, mind and body intact. She could have pulled it off alone without GQ Clooney altogether. The only other person I can imagine in this role is Jessica Chastain, who has a distinctive edge about her. But Bullock never rubs us the wrong way. She may not convince anyone that she's a brilliant scientist, but she won me over by evoking life's instinctual resolve, and convincing us how precious and precarious life can be. She's nearly 50, a movie actress for more than 2 decades, and still as cute as a button. To her credit, she never attempts to do more than she's capable of. That is, she isn't pretentious or over-reaching. She's sensitive yet comfortable with herself. Assertive yet vulnerable. I'm a Bullock fan now. I look forward to seeing more of her. I trust she will only improve with age. Bravo Sandra!
  7. Jan 30, 2015
    Quite frankly, yes, it was an alright movie. It was a great thrill ride, but nothing else. I didn't feel any emotion, care about any characters, nothing, it was just a thrill ride, and that's fine, but the amount of praise the movie gets for it is just absolutely **** insane! That's the reason I'm giving it a zero, which is unfair, yes, but god dammit, why would a movie like this recieveQuite frankly, yes, it was an alright movie. It was a great thrill ride, but nothing else. I didn't feel any emotion, care about any characters, nothing, it was just a thrill ride, and that's fine, but the amount of praise the movie gets for it is just absolutely **** insane! That's the reason I'm giving it a zero, which is unfair, yes, but god dammit, why would a movie like this recieve so much praise? Great visuals? Cool, but that doesn't equal a good movie. Creepy soundtrack that sets the mood? Fair enough, great, but that doesn't equal a good movie. Great cinematography? Yes! I love that, but none of any of that matters in the end if I feel no care or affection for anything about or in the movie. Another well made thrill ride that deserves max a like, 6 or 7/10. Expand
  8. Jan 28, 2015
    Visually, "Gravity" is a work of art. It is serene, eerie, and captivating. As a storytelling piece, however, it is serene, eerie, and captivating only for the first half-hour. After that point, it becomes a series of repetitive set pieces drifting towards a predictable outcome that simply isn't exciting and lacks enough substance to anchor the spectacle, despite Sandra Bullock's bestVisually, "Gravity" is a work of art. It is serene, eerie, and captivating. As a storytelling piece, however, it is serene, eerie, and captivating only for the first half-hour. After that point, it becomes a series of repetitive set pieces drifting towards a predictable outcome that simply isn't exciting and lacks enough substance to anchor the spectacle, despite Sandra Bullock's best efforts. My first viewing, I had a much higher opinion of this film, swept up in the hype surrounding it and blinded by its technical accomplishment. My second viewing, issues with the story (or lack of) were magnified and severely detracted from the film. Expand
  9. Jan 21, 2015
    Visually Impressive but really that's all there is to it. Alfonso Cuaron's space opus is 90 mins of Sandra Bullock explaining the plot to herself. The film is literally devoid of ideas.
  10. Jan 12, 2015
    Though the screenplay is nothing noteworthy and by the third act the repetitive story line begins to seem tedious (even at a mere 90 minutes), the visuals are an outstanding accomplishment on the technical side of film-making.
  11. Jan 4, 2015
    This film in IMAX in 3D is easily a 9, but when downgrading to dvd which most people will get now or even Bluray it has to come down to a 7. The story is very simple but then again it is meant to be a disaster movie. The acting is great by Sandra Bullock and George Clooney and both hold the film with no other character really needed. The exposition to some characters back storiea are aThis film in IMAX in 3D is easily a 9, but when downgrading to dvd which most people will get now or even Bluray it has to come down to a 7. The story is very simple but then again it is meant to be a disaster movie. The acting is great by Sandra Bullock and George Clooney and both hold the film with no other character really needed. The exposition to some characters back storiea are a little forced and dull but nothing too majorly wrong with that. The visuals are BEAUTIFUL, best part of the film easily! Additionally, Alfonso Cuaron uses his trademark long tracking shots which look awesome in this film by the way, but i still see his best work as Children of Men. Lastly, the ending and what it was meant to be symbolising was so obvious that i must admit it is kinda painful to watch, but i can see where they were going with it. Expand
  12. Jan 4, 2015
    Una obra visual, una excelente película de ciencia ficción, se une a la lista de las mejores pelicular de todos los tiempos. Alfonso Cuaron a hecho el mejor trabajo de su carrera, visualmente (hablando de la cámara, el chivo es un maestro y por supuesto de los efectos) Gravedad es de las mejores películas del 2013, de las mejores películas de todos los tiempos y de las que debes de verUna obra visual, una excelente película de ciencia ficción, se une a la lista de las mejores pelicular de todos los tiempos. Alfonso Cuaron a hecho el mejor trabajo de su carrera, visualmente (hablando de la cámara, el chivo es un maestro y por supuesto de los efectos) Gravedad es de las mejores películas del 2013, de las mejores películas de todos los tiempos y de las que debes de ver antes de morir. Expand
  13. Jan 1, 2015
    WAY overrated. For a thriller, this was actually very good. The suspense almost... made it feel like the air became more dense. But the problem was the lack of storyline. It was quite short and just delayed parts of the story with too long suspense. Overall, a pretty good movie.
  14. Dec 26, 2014
    I really have to say this is one of the very worst movies I have ever seen. I really did not expect a mind blowing sci-fi movie but this movie was honestly so boring and so senseless.. there is no comparison. I try very hard to find one positive thing about the movie but I cant. Even the effects and the sound are far from being excellent or mind blowing. This movie is just a very big failI really have to say this is one of the very worst movies I have ever seen. I really did not expect a mind blowing sci-fi movie but this movie was honestly so boring and so senseless.. there is no comparison. I try very hard to find one positive thing about the movie but I cant. Even the effects and the sound are far from being excellent or mind blowing. This movie is just a very big fail and waste of time. Rating this movie with more than 0 proves bad taste. I dont see any reason to give more than a 0 rating to this movie, maybe somebody can enlighten me Expand
  15. Dec 22, 2014
    Gravity teaches kids not to be astronauts,Ahhaha Joke.Gravity Is just stunning especially 3D !The Movie is terrifying in some ways is because you feel you're they're struggling to survive!!
  16. Dec 21, 2014
    I apologize, but this movie seems to be made for stupid people.
    The only praise anybody ever gives this film is how "visually stunning" it is. It seems as if plenty of intelligent people have mentally devolved after seeing Gravity, because apparently substance no longer matters, and visuals are enough to make a good movie.
    The characters in Gravity don't need to be there. I might as well
    I apologize, but this movie seems to be made for stupid people.
    The characters in Gravity don't need to be there. I might as well have watched a movie about pieces of metal floating in space. Oh wait, they have that! It's called "Space Junk"! You know, I heard that was the original working title for this movie, too!
    The story sucks, to put it plainly. Sandra Bullock's story is completely generic and uninteresting, and pretty much occupies the entire film after the rather intense opening. Let me be clear, I don't want to dispute that the movie is breathtaking on a technical level, but without any interesting motives or characters, and absolutely zero valuable ideas or concepts expressed, who cares? Apparently everyone. Go watch Transformers, you mouth breathers.
    Graphics don't make the game good, pretty colors don't make the painting good, and being catchy doesn't make a song good. Visuals don't make a movie good. Sometimes, they make it awful. Gravity is awful.
  17. Dec 19, 2014
    This is what I was thirsty to watch on the big screen. James Cameron was right when he said that "Gravity" is the best space-thematic movie ever.
    Director Alfonso Cuarón brings us a striking story, with Sandra Bullock as the main character.
    This might be the next "Avatar", in terms of production, cinematography, production design, visual effects, sound effects and score. Everything in this movie is revolutionary. Trully, Cuarón might just have revolutionized the way of shooting a movie with huge amount of CGI. That guy deserves my respect.
  18. Dec 11, 2014
    Summary: Gravity is stressful, engrossing, well acted and consistently frightening despite its thin plot. 94/100 [A-]

The film takes you into a suffocating atmosphere and plays with your mind at times. The special effects are mind blowing and it doesn't matter if you see it in 3D or 2D, the experience is great. It's true that its narrative is thin, it hasn't a huge or complex plot, but it's quite curious because it proves that a movie doesn't need to be rich in storytelling to be great. Gravity has enough visuals and superb performances to succeed. I saw it with very high expectations and it didn't disappoint me, it definitely deserves its high ratings on Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic (96/100 and 97% respectively) it was awesome. I couldn't breath during the whole film and my heart was racing, I almost had a heart attack watching this.

Gravity is undoubtedly the most thrilling film of 2013, because it keeps you on the edge of your seat all time. I'm calling it now one of the best movies of the year. Gravity does not need a complex storyline or a confusing script (Cough, cough... Interstellar, cough cough) the plot of the film is easy to follow and is understandable. I loved it too because you empathize with the characters, they aren't boring scientists, they are humans and the dialog between them feels realistic and genuine. Moving on, it doesn't matter if you see it on a small TV or on your laptop the experience still great, I could watch this flick like a hundred times and never get bored. I also want to add that the musical score is so enjoyable and orgasmic!

On the upside, Gravity is highly entertaining, scary, 100% stressful and unforgettable; It has top-notch special effects and its ending is epic. See it if you have high expectations or if you're a fan of the horror genre, also if you liked some other films from this amazing director. I'm pretty sure that fans from writer/director Alfonso Cuarón won't be disappointed. I also recommend it if you expect some bizarre or gruesome moments. On the downside, its plot is may be thin for some people, but to me, as I said above it doesn't need a big plot to be an excellent film. In conclusion, Gravity is a terrific piece of work that boasts the best CGI I've seen in my life, a stunning performance by Sandra Bullock, lots of humanity and a memorable musical score. [A-]
  19. Dec 9, 2014
    Visually stunning and impeccably filmed, "Gravity" is an entertainingly thoughtful science fiction thriller that can be either masterfully directed and smartly plotted.
  20. Dec 3, 2014
    Sorry, I dont like this movie and disappointing. It doesnt work for me and my wife. Sandra act was copying her personal style and characteristic in whatever movie she is in. An astronaut or whatever you call it, is not a commoner like woman driver in "Speed". She is so fragile, and not as an astronaut we imagine she should be. I hate her communication with Anqanna (?) and the song, andSorry, I dont like this movie and disappointing. It doesnt work for me and my wife. Sandra act was copying her personal style and characteristic in whatever movie she is in. An astronaut or whatever you call it, is not a commoner like woman driver in "Speed". She is so fragile, and not as an astronaut we imagine she should be. I hate her communication with Anqanna (?) and the song, and the dog voice, the baby's voice. It is irritatting my human sense. I hate the role of Clooney and his long boring words. Expand
  21. Dec 1, 2014
    What a boring and predictable movie! Don't waste your time! The only good thing about this movie is the cinematography and the special effects... Way overrated!
  22. Dec 1, 2014
    Resisted watching the flick for a while, because personally biased against both main actors. As expected, both the script and acting were really poor - any high school drama club would have done much better job.
    And what a load of clichés and cheap thrill unloaded to top it off!
    And what a load of clichés and cheap thrill unloaded to top it off!

The reason why I did watch and why I wanted to write the review is the undue praise by science community. This flick is NOT sound scientifically at all. There are multiple mistakes and flaws in logic. To list a few:
    - The GPS satellites could not be taken down by the same event (they are at a lot higher altitude).
    - The sound does not conduct in vacuum, which they stated, but for some reason could not resist putting in the movie.
    - There is a huge misunderstanding of momentum of motion. And after boosters are activated in the Russian pod. Both the pod and Bullock travel at the same speed - there is no way for her to slow down with a little canister of fire extinguisher (to say nothing about the fact that activating booster would not be controllable and landing at Chinese station is virtually impossible).
    - The astronauts do not wizz by around the station and would not be able to float from station to station.
    - In general, there are a lot of childish scenes about the space stations: they can't chat via the microphone after station is destroyed (they are not on cell phones in there). Stoned Sandra would not be able to hack into Russian capsule computer to fool it... or activate Chinese satellite for that matter.

I will give a couple stars for cinematography and for an attempt to stay true to science, but instead of praising this meek stab at sci-fi, people who can think should discard it as a worthless Hollywood fluff.
  23. Nov 30, 2014
    Visually, this movie is truly amazing. However, everything else is mediocre at the best (ok, Sandra is still a beautiful woman and quite good actress).

The worst problem however is that we (me and my wife) were bored while watching this movie - in a scifi drama like this, it shouldn't happen.
  24. Nov 27, 2014
    Few ever films have showed that little and have expressed that much in that short amount of time. This is far beyond stars and universe... in its simplicity we can find grandeur, excellency. This movie is transcendental.
  25. Nov 24, 2014
    Gravity proves that science fiction can still be very interesting without warp speed, teleporters or spacecrafts fighting. Based on the impossibility of life in space, movie presents modern day space technology with excellent visuals, good acting and somewhat gripping story. Quiet soundtrack also adds to the great atmosphere. Although not a classic, it is easily a must watch.
  26. Nov 23, 2014
    HOLY CRAP. This is one of the most tense, awe-filled experiences I've ever had! Cuaron is a MASTER and he knows how to sketch characters you quickly attach yourself to, a story that is both filled with tenderness and terror, and cinematic techniques that so very brilliantly disorient the viewer, it feels as if you're wheeling through space. AMAZING.
  27. Nov 23, 2014
    Gravity es una película que aunque contiene unos muy buenos efectos visuales a lo largo de la historia que abarca el film, contiene algunos fallos (no me refiero a lo técnico).

Este largometraje empieza bien, y continúa así hasta los primeros 15 minutos, luego de eso ya la película empieza a buscar soluciones para encajar bien las piezas del final, pero, esas soluciones hacen que la película se torne aburrida, simplona y fastidiosa hasta que llegan los últimos 15 minutos.

Así que, en general, Gravity es una película fastidiosa en donde si no has visto la película, solo basta con ver los primeros 15 minutos y los últimos 15 para entenderla bien.
  28. Nov 18, 2014
    Wow. This movie is quite simply unbearable to watch. While the visuals are compelling and groundbreaking, the script is so horribly mundane, cliche, and unbelievable that the film comes off as unintentionally comic material. George Clooney does the best with what he is given; however, his character's arc is so brief it leaves you wanting more than just Sandra Bullock in a tight tank top.Wow. This movie is quite simply unbearable to watch. While the visuals are compelling and groundbreaking, the script is so horribly mundane, cliche, and unbelievable that the film comes off as unintentionally comic material. George Clooney does the best with what he is given; however, his character's arc is so brief it leaves you wanting more than just Sandra Bullock in a tight tank top. Furthermore, not only is the entire film's premise a stretch of basic space science, the ending is extremely unrewarding and empty. Please, save yourself some brain cells and some time, and choose something else to watch. Expand
  29. Nov 13, 2014
    "Gravity" 10 Scale Rating: 7.0 (Good) ...

"Gravity" 10 Scale Rating: 7.0 (Good) ...

The Good: The word "stunning" is usually over-used when describing visuals, but it fits here. The visuals in this film were absolutely stunning. Despite the buzz, I wasn't really looking forward to this movie, but it was better than I thought it would be. Sandra Bullock does a decent job and Clooney was overlooked for Best Supporting Actor awards.

The Bad: It is still about a solitary woman floating through space and that is only so interesting. The Murphy's Law got a little old too as everything that could go wrong, did go wrong. That got a little ridiculous. Bullock was decent, but I don't understand all the Best Actress buzz. She didn't do anything phenomenal. Lastly, without trying to spoil the outcome, the end was sort of anti-climactic and I never really felt like the antagonist was in any real danger ... which is odd since she's floating in space with everything going to Hell around her.
  30. Nov 10, 2014
    With strong acting coupled up with an eerie soundtrack, top-notch directing, a focused narrative and great visuals, it is entertaining, tense and astonishing at the same time. Gravity's huge ambition pays off as a modern classic.

1. Reviewed by: James Mottram
    Nov 3, 2013
    A stunning space saga that takes off for new technical frontiers without leaving its humanity behind.
  2. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Oct 6, 2013
    Gravity is not a film of ideas, like Kubrick's techno-mystical "2001," but it's an overwhelming physical experience -- a challenge to the senses that engages every kind of dread. [7 Oct. 2013, p.88]
  3. Reviewed by: Dana Stevens
    Oct 4, 2013
    This is not to say that Gravity is a masterpiece: Unlike Cuarón’s extraordinary "Children of Men", it doesn’t quite pull off its ambitious effort to combine formal inventiveness, heart-pounding action, and intimate human storytelling. But it succeeds thrillingly at the first two of those categories, and only misses the mark on the last because it tries a little too hard — which is certainly a welcome respite from the countless sci-fi thrillers that privilege the human story not at all.